Video: Obama praises economy’s “long-term fundamentals”? Update: Out of context

posted at 5:12 pm on September 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Geraghty, the question mark’s there because I can’t quite believe The One, opportunistic poseur though he is, would be quite this hypocritical. Didn’t he and his disciples spend a good three or four days two weeks ago hammering McCain for suggesting that the fundamentals of the economy are “strong”? Just today, he dropped this on an audience in Denver:

You see, Senator McCain just doesn’t get it – he doesn’t get that this crisis on Wall Street hit Main Street a long time ago. That’s why his first response to the greatest fiscal meltdown in generations was to say that the “fundamentals of the economy are strong,” and why he didn’t say the words “middle-class” once in an entire 90-minute debate.

The quote you see here isn’t in the prepared remarks so it must be from the Q&A. Can anyone find the full transcript? I can’t, but I’m guessing the clip must have been yanked out of context. No one is this big of a hypocrite. Right?

Update: People seem confused in the comments. Maybe I was unclear. The money quote is in the video; contrast it with the blockquote, in which Obama takes McCain to task over fundamentals. He appears to be saying the same thing himself in the clip. I’m looking for a transcript to see if the video was taken out of context or if he really is this oblivious.

Update: Patterico sends along a belated update: It looks like Obama was, in fact, taken out of context. He was talking about the fundamentals of his economic plan, not the economy.

Comments

Expecting honesty and forthrightness from a radical leftist usually isn’t a good idea.

benrand on September 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Does this jackass know or care what he has previously said, or does he just read his crib notes and destroy them. I’ve never quite seen anything like this dolt.

rplat on September 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM

ughhh that man is such a jerk I swear I hope the people of this country wake up before the 4th of Nov. and don’t elect him.

tee866 on September 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Personally, I’d need to see more of the statement before judging. But if he flipped on this one, it’s breathtaking hypocrisy. Utterly breathtaking.

marc@hubsandspokes on September 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM

I don’t get it. It reads to me as if Obama was quoting McCain. I don’t see where Obama suggested the “fundamentals of the economy are strong.”

What am I missing?

Gregor on September 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM

I’d like to hear the context. I suspect he’s talking about what will happen after some part of his own plan gets enacted.

philwynk on September 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM

I’m really starting to hate Obama. I didn’t care for Clinton but what I feel for Obama is far more negative and visceral.

DerKrieger on September 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Gregor on September 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Never mind. All I had to do was click through.

“After this immediate problem, we’ve got the long-term fundamentals that will really make sure this economy grows”

Gregor on September 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM

What am I missing?

Gregor on September 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Allah doesn’t have the money quote cited here anywhere. Follow the link to Geraghty’s post and listen to the tiny sound bite there.

philwynk on September 29, 2008 at 5:22 PM

won’t get traction

Trent1289 on September 29, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I need my inhalator.

argos on September 29, 2008 at 5:22 PM

McCain was just up on Fox. Opinions? I have no clue as to what to take from the presser other than he thinks something needs to be done soon and scolded Meme, Frank, Dodd and THE MANCHILD for being partisan.

This needs to make it into an ad McCain people!

Are the McCain people napping or what? I thought they trolled here to get the pulse of HotAir folks?

freeus on September 29, 2008 at 5:22 PM

All the “One” has to do is wave his hand and the problem is fixed…

d1carter on September 29, 2008 at 5:23 PM

DerKrieger on September 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM

I can understand this, but really, he’s not all that different from what we’ve been seeing from the Democrats since 1988. That’s the last time I can recall a D in the race for the presidency that actually said what he meant. Starting with Clinton, every one of them has been so completely disingenuous that any resemblance between what comes out of their mouth and what they genuinely think is purely coincidental.

philwynk on September 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Seems like he’s talking about the next thing that needs to be fixed (long terms fundamentals).

Adamski on September 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I just wonder if the McCain campaign can’t get loans?

d1carter on September 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Another ‘me too’ moment for ‘the one’.

ZZZzzzzzzzz

locomotivebreath1901 on September 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Sorry. I don’t get it either.

JiangxiDad on September 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Sounds like a great Politician with a lot of back up

tomas on September 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM

I hate riddles.

argos on September 29, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Huh? what? Messiah say huh?
Fundamentals? economy sound?

Where have I heard that recently? hmmmm, wasn’t that person made fun of for saying it in the MSM?

No it must be my imagination.

HoosierCon on September 29, 2008 at 5:27 PM

He could have meant that their policy platform contains the “long term fundamentals that will make sure that tihs economy grows”.

Just sayin’. I’m with Allah… context?

DaveS on September 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM

“The fundamentals of our economy are strong” — McCain

Hope you can quote.

Paul-Cincy on September 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM

And yet, through all of this, there is a Battleground tracking poll (good pollster) that has McCain up by 2 through today 48-46...splain that to me Lucy!

joepub on September 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Stupid gaffetastical comments.

they’re not just for Biden anymore

Drunk Report on September 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Yeah, “long term” as in after 1/20/2009 when the Manchurian Community Organizer installs Propaganda Minister Ayers and all of a sudden there’s nothing but good news, every day… something to cheer you up while you’re standing in the bread line.

Chickyraptor on September 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Whaaa? I’m no O’ba’ma fan, but this is a stretch of the imagination, AP. O’s use of long ‘term fundamentals,’ vs. McCain’s ‘the fundamentals are strong’ isn’t just straight up hypo-crittering, IMHO. It’s nuance

McCain could care less about the economic fundamentals, and doesn’t understand the term when he uses it.
Barry’s at least acknowledging a short term problem, something Johnny wouldn’t until forced.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Well, when he is never corrected but on right wing websites, he can say most anything he wants.
What else is new?
Oh, Palin is a racist against Eskimos…let’s focus on that.

right2bright on September 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM

philwynk on September 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Ohhh, yes he is. This guy is something new and altogether different. Clinton was just a good politician.

Obama is, well…anyone else here expect him to just drop that logo of his if he gets elected?

I know, I know, I know…Godwin’s Law and all, but am I the only one that can see that logo on a sea of flags all lit by torchlight as the Obamayouth carries them into the arena?

Typhoon on September 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Maybe “the long term fundamentals of the economy” is something completely different from “the fundamentals of the economy”

To me “fundamentals” are inherently long term, but what do I know? I’m not good with nuance. In fact, nuance is really starting to piss me off.

forest on September 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM

It is amazing that Peloser could blow this with the whole world watching in such an incompetent manner. International markets are going to tank tomorrow because of her inability to face reality. She has the leadership qualities of a small child. God help us if Reid and Peloser are in threir ledasership capacities for the next 4 years.

volsense on September 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM

*channeling the Drive-By media*

Nothing to see here, folks. This isn’t the video you are looking for. Move aong…move along.

ManlyRash on September 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Allah, did I miss something in that quote?

I cant make the connection here.

Have you finally lost it?…lol.

Maybe b/c I cant see the video, but reading that quote, I dont see anything there.

TheHat on September 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Is there any truth to the rumor that Geraldo Rivera will be reporting live on the floor of the stock exchange tomorrow, facing a wind tunnel sycncronized to the DOW to show the devestating effects of the stock market fluctuations?

Godzilla on September 29, 2008 at 5:36 PM

………….. What?

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Oh come on Trailboss, Uuuuuuhaba is acknowledging nothing except he will tell any lie, steal any line, and make any threat in his quest to become Supreme Maximum Ruler For Life.

thekingtut on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

TheHat, yes you did. That quote was from the other day when they went all apeshit after McCain. Today The Manchurian Community Organizer said: “and then… after… this immediate… problem… we’ve got the long term fundamentals that’ll really make sure this economy grows.”

I think he was having trouble buffering a cranial download from Axelrod’s mainframe.

Chickyraptor on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Hypocrite. Lightweight.

Terrye on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Sorry, but it does not matter at this point. Everything is static this week and probably next. Obama’s sh&t doesn’t smell. In case you forget, just observe how often this hypocrisy is mentioned in the mainstream.

I used to think Obama and Ayers would be part of the October Surprise but now if McCain wants to win he better come up with Obama and a live boy or dead girl type October Surprise.

grdred944 on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Typhoon

Actually, I see the hammer and sickle replacing that stupid logo of his.

thekingtut on September 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Manly Rash, you should be careful about channeling the MSM, I heard it can cause brain damage.

thekingtut on September 29, 2008 at 5:47 PM

I see what he did there…

its_a_trap on September 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

I’ll be looking for clarification & context. Will this be #33 in my list of BO’s flip-flops?

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Chickyraptor on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Ok thanks. I will check video when I get home then!

TheHat on September 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM

I just have to say – after the last several days of seeing polls showing voters suddenly leaning back toward this economically illiterate douchebag – that I pray that observers like Allah and the assorted RINO nitwits who tell us how “smart” and “pragmatic” Obama is are correct, since he seems likely to end up as President.

Because if he is the lying, stupid, radical leftist POS that I think he is, we’re all in very, very deep doo-doo. Because if someone educated and informed like Allah can look at this fucking mess and blame it on the Republicans, then this is over.

Jaibones on September 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Had he of been referring to the McCain statement, BHO would of had a smeark on his face and the crowd would of been laughing. This Is BHO saying that the fundamentals of the economy are ok. EXACTLY what I say and John McCain said.

Mercy4Me on September 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM

live boy or dead girl type October Surprise.

If that had worked with Barney Frank we probably could have avoided all this.

Chickyraptor on September 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

He’s just saying McCain is “exactly right” again, just like in the debate. So if McCain is “McSame”, then Obama must be “O-Same-a”, if you buy that BS logic.

All of this is making things hard on me. I stopped drinking a few months ago. But this cr@p is tempting me to hit the bottle hard.

connertown on September 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM

AHA! Starlink said that “even Kerry wasn’t this brazen” so then it hit me. The democrats are so overboard on their lying statements and never admit to being wrong because they think that’s why Kerry lost…because he didn’t have the brass ones to keep lying and lying and lying.

Seems like they got the MSM in on the game though. They don’t expose the lies but as long as they don’t originate them, they’re ok with that!

I just gotta believe that most Americans are good, decent people and see through this. I mean it’s not that hard to see because the dems are so blatant about it!

Vince on September 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Whatever the f… he said, it was incoherent. What a moron.

D2Boston on September 29, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Either way, the MSM will cover for him. Ya think?

GarandFan on September 29, 2008 at 6:14 PM

MSM may be right, this guy can walk on water…/sarc

d1carter on September 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Am I stoned?

I fail to see the hypocrisy in O’s statement. Looks like the same crap he’s been saying all along.

The fundamentals of the economy are strong. McCain was WRONG to go back on that statement.

Each and every problem we are experiencing today is the result of government interference and a desire to work around the realities of the market.

I had been 100% sure that McCain was gong to win this. But now I’m starting to see it slip away, the truth is not really a factor here…we are seriously losing the perception wars.

Doom & Gloom.

Dorvillian on September 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM

He is that oblivious.

AubieJon on September 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Oh, I’m sure when he said “And then, after this immediate problem, we’ve got the long-term fundamentals that will really make sure this economy grows”, I’m assuming he’s talking about himself and his minions, not about us as a country. It’s always about him. He will set down and codify the “long-term fundamentals” that will grow the economy. It’s not about inspiring others to find their strength within that he might believe is there to lift ourselves up. When McCain said “the fundamentals of our economy are strong” he explained he meant the US worker was the best in the world and would adapt. When Obama says it, he means without him, we’d be lost. He will lead us by the hand to where we need to go. We have no chance without him. We’re nothing without him.

Paul-Cincy on September 29, 2008 at 7:06 PM

He’s not as think as you stoned he is…Well,maybe not.

christene on September 29, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Dorvillian on September 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I must agree. 35 days left to the election, and we’re stuck with perception.

Paul-Cincy on September 29, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Obama is Arabic for liar.. LMAO

Chakra Hammer on September 29, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Lets get that transcript.

csdeven on September 29, 2008 at 7:33 PM

I just heard of The One on the news, he says he has been calling for reforms since March. Really, before that everything was hunky dory? Interesting.

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Has anyone seen the continuing poll on AOL which started several weeks ago? They ask a simple question: who would you vote for? AOL is comparable to the NYT in its readership. McCain was at 63% yesterday and Oduma was at 34 or 35%. This is interesting, it kind of goes along with the Battleground surveys.

AReadyRepub on September 30, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Asked during an interview on CBS’ “Face the Nation” whether McCain deserved credit for bringing lawmakers together, Obama said “no.”

Well, since it failed, I guess Obama gets all the credit!

Mercy4Me on September 30, 2008 at 8:15 AM