Video: Kilmeade gets testy with Obama spokesman over Jopek bracelet

posted at 11:45 am on September 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

A shouting match for breakfast. Ed’s already hashed and rehashed this story so you should be up to speed. Pay attention to Doocy at around 1:20 suggesting that Tracy Jopek asked Obama not to wear the bracelet, which as far as I know is untrue: She asked him not to talk about it, but then absolved him for doing so at the debate because McCain brought up the subject first. It’s Doocy’s misstep that leads Gibbs to claim they’re “making stuff up,” I think, which annoys Kilmeade when he tries to make the (accurate) point about Jopek’s father objecting to the whole situation.

Eh, the specifics don’t really matter. It’s freak-show video. Enjoy.

Comments

And since when is the Obamanation’s campaign the gold standard for truth and accuracy?
Riddle me that!

eaglewingz08 on September 29, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I dont like spin master Gibbs anyway.

becki51758 on September 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I’ll forgive Doocy because of his golden “Barack HUSSEIN Obama” comment. The left were spitting mad over that one.

lodge on September 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM

The Obama people are so arrogant.

carbon_footprint on September 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM

The only thing those Obama cretins will understand and respond to is a slap up along side the head.

rplat on September 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM

She asked them not to politicize her son’s death and they end up by doing just that. Quite some change.

promachus on September 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM

One AP article = absolute truth?

Mmmmkay. Dipshit!

JAM on September 29, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Twist & Shout!

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:52 AM

This kind of stuff just accelerates Fox’s freight train to the sewer. It was bad enough when they ditched news for populist blowhards, 23-hour celebrity coverage and Shepard Smith talking like a pothead. Now Fox and Friends is giving them more problems that they don’t need. Yeah, let’s invite on the loser from Everybody Loves Raymond. Good lord.

MadisonConservative on September 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM

MadisonConservative on September 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM

I think I might agree but I’m not sure what you said.

rplat on September 29, 2008 at 11:55 AM

So, umm, the flak’s explanation is: Jopek’s mother gave Obama the bracelet but she didn’t want her son’s death to be politicized, so Obama does just that in the first debate? And, in a cheesy “me too, what’s his name” gesture at that. Ugh.

FalseProfit on September 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Don’t expect to see this assclown Gibbs popping up on Fox News again anytime soon.

What an arrogant little p***k!

pilamaye on September 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I happened to be watching when this occured earlier this morning. Frankly I rather enjoyed Brian calling the ‘One’s” spokesman out as he twisted/turned/spun this to try to make an advantage of it. I suppose the MO prosecuters will be filing charges against Kilmeade any hour now.

dustoffmom on September 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM

That Obama fool had it coming; He was being a jerk.

anniekc on September 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Again, I hate to take the side of Obama on this because I know I’m going to be called ‘liberal moron’ for calling to question a point.

Obama was told to wear the bracelet. He was wearing the bracelet. Obama was told not to politicize the bracelet – where McCain has no trouble politicizing his (surrogate to make his point).

I’d bet the hesitation on Obama’s part on the stage was whether or not he SHOULD bring it up because of the mother’s wishes instead of whether or not he could remember the name. He was responding to McCain’s politicizing of his bracelet, not injecting it into the political debate.

Again, I don’t support Obama, but this is stretching to come up with something irrelevant. The relevant part to me is that McCain has NO PROBLEM using dead soldiers to support his claims.

ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Personally, I’ll be glad when this whole “freak show” is over. I’m sick of all these grinning, passive-aggressive liberals getting on tv. They make me want to puke.

The media trying to score points on either side at the expense of a soldier who gave the ultimate sacrifice is pathetic. I hope that the mother and father are respecting the KNOWN wishes of their son.

Mr_Magoo on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

The only important point in all this is that the mother asked Obama NOT to talk about her son and he DID IT ANYWAY. She may have changed her mind AFTER the fact, but the only information Obama had to go off of was her initial request. Obama willingly violated the expressed wishes of the dead soldier’s family! Period!

davenp35 on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Well im glad to see that Barry is respecting the wishes of a KIA mother. “uh er ah i have a bracelet to John.” idiot

custer on September 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM

simple…the mother gave Obammy the bracelet…. said not to politicize it… evidently didn’t say don’t wear it. Dad says don’t mention it at all.. sounds simple to me. Obammy politicized it.

MNDavenotPC on September 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Mary Jopek? Tracy Jopek? What is the mother’s name? Someone is confused and has it wrong.

And if it is Mary (as Gibbs states in the video), that is awfully close to “Mary Jo Kopechne”, no?

Abby Adams on September 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

McCain used his bracelet to say someone with a dead child due to the war agrees with him. Obama was trying to say he has a bracelet from someone with a dead child due to the war that agrees with him.

To me, it is just sad that politicians need to use dead soldiers at all. But McCain did bring it up.

ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Eh, the specifics don’t really matter. It’s freak-show video. Enjoy.

The point is, it was a b**ch move for this guy to be such a d**k and play semantics over Doocy’s words. The larger point stands – The mother asked him not to talk about her son and he did, and now she’s only okay with it because it would be a huge blow to Barry’s campaign if she stuck to her guns.

Here the F&F gang follows up at the beginning of the After the Show Show, which you may want to add to AP (I’m assuming you know, but click “Share” to get the embed code)

RightWinged on September 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

To me, this is the kind of stuff thatmakes conservatives look small…

MUCH BIGGER fish to fry…there is so much on substance, lets spend time on that…

BTW, the Battleground poll, including yesterday’s sample had McCain +2

joepub on September 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Sgt. Jopek. Or as Barry calls him, “What’sissname.”

Sefton on September 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM

lodge on September 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Is that not the man’s name? He could have been called something worse!

Oink on September 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Brian Kilmeade is a true gentleman, old-school style.
His defense of Debra Burlingame when Tofel was so arrogant, patronizing and rude to her during a 9/11 interview was extremely chivalrous.
He does not suffer fools gladly and showed it this morning.

sandspur on September 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM

God, I”m bored with this discussion already.

November 4th can’t come soon enough.

mjk on September 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM

davenp35 on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Agreed. My gut feeling is that Obama didn’t think to himself, “Well, I know I promised, but I am, after all, responding to my opponent who brought it up first. So in effect, I am still honoring the spirit of the agreement.”

I think his ego made the decision and the rest is spin.

Mr_Magoo on September 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM

When is Fox and the handful of others who are sick and tired of this BS going to take off the gloves and start reporting?

This was a good start, but it’s an isolated and insignificant issue. With all due respect to the memory of a soldier who fell in service to this country and regardless of his parents clearly disjointed view of reality and willingness to betray their own principles for political gain; I am sick and tired of the “you’re making stuff up” defense to every legitimate and documented question about Obama’s countless and inexcusable positions and gaffes.

If the MSM and our elected officials will not hold Obama or the Democrats accountable for their actions, it is time for WE THE PEOPLE to do so.

Damiano on September 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM

ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Thacker.. did you NOT see the ad where an older MN Couple whose son died in a Helicopter crash was supporting Obama and the “Run out of Iraq” tactic?

I even posted from the DoD website on who else was on that crash. It makes me wonder who is doing what fo whome. McCain for dead, wounded and alive soldiers. Or BHO, who puts disgruntled and greiving parents of Soldiers blaming everything on a war that the Dems voted for as well.

Think about it…. because your “comment” kinda ticked me off.

BTW, what have you done for a Soldier lately?

upinak on September 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM

What do these people do to prepare for their show? I was SCREAMING at the TV! She told Oslime-a NOT to mention her sons name EVER! It takes approximately 30 seconds of reading the facts to be able to speak EXPERTLY on it.

csdeven on September 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Hoo boy…the FOX-deranged lefties are gonna have fun with this…

I’ve always noticed that in general, FOX News is fair, but the morning show is decidedly right-wing. But it’s the morning show…so no one should take any morning show too seriously. Doocey is a weatherman, and Kilmeade did sports. They aren’t anchors.

Take it for what it’s worth.

JetBoy on September 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM

ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Did the family tell McCain not to mention their son? Not to my knowledge. Many families who have lost want their relatives to be mentioned. My friend Kyle Griffin died when we were in Iraq and his father came out with the purpose of being an anti-Cindy Sheehan (although surprise, surprise he didn’t get the same sort of coverage she got). The only issue is the lack of morals Obama displayed when he violated the wishes of the soldier’s family. Using a dead soldier to make a political point is not the issue.

davenp35 on September 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM

To me, this is the kind of stuff thatmakes conservatives look small…

joepub on September 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM

And then there’s that. It’s hard not to play to the level of your opponent.

Mr_Magoo on September 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM

To me, this is the kind of stuff thatmakes conservatives look small…

joepub on September 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM

And then there’s that. It’s hard not to play to the level of your opponent.

(oops, missed the quote feature)

Mr_Magoo on September 29, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Abby Adams on September 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

As I stated above, Robert Gibb bitching about the semantics, while ignoring the actual point was stupid… But he did call her Mary at one point, which is just as inaccurate as any complaint he had. So he was the one “making things up”.

But seriously, I thought somewhat along the same lines when I heard him say that… you know Mary Jo Kopechne was what went through his mind when he said that, and that’s why it slipped out that way.

At any rate, screw you Robert Gibb… I’d rather watch the Barry Gibb Talk Show anyway:

RightWinged on September 29, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Sorry, mom…

You gave the bracelet to Barack Obama, who’s running for president.

And now you want us to believe you didn’t want your son’s death politicized?

Nope, not buying it.

greggriffith on September 29, 2008 at 12:11 PM

and he didn’t call him a commie liberal? What a wuss!

LibertarianConservative on September 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Tacky Obumbles Obama couldn’t remember the soldier’s name, but as a lawyer made certain to invoke the mother. She is a Cindy Sheehan tool on Obama’s wrist; it was all about the mother, not the son. “I don’t want another mother to go through what I did.” The bracelet spins its own tale and Smeagol Obama must have his precious, his preciousssssss. Obama’s hacks disrespect the soldier and the soldier’s family just for the “right” to exploit a bracelet and a mother. THE OBAMA NEGATE.

maverick muse on September 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I wish Fox would get their facts straight.
It’s always the Omama folks that have to fact-check them.
What a dip$hit that Spokesmouth was (is).

Brian is one of the few that I still like on fox. . .

Humme & Cavuto are the others.

Go get-em Brian.

Texyank on September 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM

*yawn*

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM

ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Who would call you a liberal moron? That would be an insult to liberal morons everywhere.

Obama’s hesitation was because he was trying to decide whether or not to use the bracelet as a prop??? Please. How far backward are you willing to bend over to give OBambi his tongue bath every day?

AubieJon on September 29, 2008 at 12:15 PM

ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

I watched the clip from the debate again and the pause comes well after he said “Let me make a point. I’ve got a bracelet too. From Sergeant….” that’s where the pause is. There didn’t seem to be a hesitation to bring up his bracelet. Unless I misunderstood what you meant and you were saying he may have hesitated to bring up the soldiers name. If that’s the case, I do believe there is an argument to be made there – though, my take is that the pause was that he was correcting himself from saying “From Sergeant…” to saying “From the mother of Sergeant…”

davenp35 on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

That’s my thought as well. He may have received approval from her afterwards, but, what she requested of him prior to the debate does seem to have been violated by him bringing it up in a televised, national debate. He’s lucky in that it didn’t bother her. Or, if it did bother her that he politicized the bracelet, at least it didn’t bother her enough to risk hurting his campaign.

JadeNYU on September 29, 2008 at 12:15 PM

*yawn*

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Sticks a sucker in that wide mouth.

:) Morning!

upinak on September 29, 2008 at 12:15 PM

For starters, BO showed no class when he used that bracelet for his own political gain against the mother’s original wishes. Doesn’t matter what she said after the fact. He’ll always put his interests and himself first.
I really don’t care who gave Barry the bracelet. That young man has a mother and a father. I don’t care if the mother supports Barry and is happy to have Barry use her son’s name and memory as a political prop. His father doesn’t want his son used that way. That should be respected. And frankly, nobody knows how this young man would feel about it. I certainly don’t hold the same political views as my egg donor. I would be haunting her sorry butt if she was using my memory as political gain for some Marxist jerk. This kind of political grandstanding needs to stop.

mauioriginal on September 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I noticed that everyone seemed to discount the father’s wishes. when it was pointed out that the father did not want his son’s name mentioned, the Obamanaut said “well I am not going to get involved in a divorce” and went right back to the mother’s alleged wishes.

HawaiiLwyr on September 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

HawaiiLwyr on September 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

No one thinks of the Gold Star Dad’s. Good point.

upinak on September 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Go to the AP story and dig up every story this reporter has done on BO. Then investigate the personal finances of said reporter and this persons extended family. Print whatever dirt you can find.

That’s what the BO campaign would do.

swami on September 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Geez, looks like Barry’s condescending arrogance has trickled down to his surrogates.

Great to see Bryan “get in his face”.

You really do have to be a radical leftist tool to support this dork. The thought of dealing with this empty suit and his band of brain dead thugs for the next 4 years. Throw Biden into the mix and you want to puke.

Broken glass…….

there it is on September 29, 2008 at 12:19 PM

LOOK,I have a bracelet too !!!

EvilConservativeWhiteGuy on September 29, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Where is Megyn when you need her?

upinak on September 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM

upinak on September 29, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Just saw “30 Days of Night” yesterday and thought of you….even though I have no idea who you are! :)

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Where is Megyn when you need her?

upinak on September 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM

So it’s not only me that anguishes over such things….

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I only watch Megyn, Neil and Brit. I get my other info here!!

tOM

marinetbryant on September 29, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I’d bet the hesitation on Obama’s part on the stage was whether or not he SHOULD bring it up because of the mother’s wishes instead of whether or not he could remember the name. ***
ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Negative on that, Thacker. Footage shows Obama retracting his cuff on the arm with the bracelet on it, then Obama looking down and manipulating something on that wrist, and THEN saying the soldier’s name. That behavior is more consistent with him confirming the name before he said it than it is a hesitation about keeping the mother’s wish about not politicizing her son.

Outlander on September 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Outlander on September 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Maybe Obama was looking down and saying a silent prayer over the soldier’s name…..that behavior would be consistent with a spiritual person.

Maybe we’re just flicking bullshit back and forth over something that’s not worth it.

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:29 PM

FWIW….I thought that the pair of them demonstrated a lack of class in using dead soldiers as cheap props.

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:31 PM

mauioriginal on September 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Come now. John McCain tried to score political points (and I’m not knocking him for it – it is a debate after all) by bringing up the bracelet. In that moment, Barack Obama could have either done one of two things:

1) Try to recall the instructions the mother who gave him the bracelet left him with, and reconcile that with the comments her ex-husband (and the soldier’s father) gave to a newspaper in March;

or

2) Try to neutralize McCain’s point by realizing that he was given a bracelet on the campaign trail too.

YYZ on September 29, 2008 at 12:31 PM

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Had I died in Iraq I would hope to hell my family and everyone I know would use my name to push for us staying in Iraq until our mission is complete. I also hardly consider it a waste of time for people to defend the wishes of dead soldier’s and their family.

davenp35 on September 29, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Obama could have slaughtered McCain if he had simply responded : “I have a bracelet too. I have no idea if the soldier would have voted for me, but I’m not going to abuse his memory by presuming to use his story as a cheap prop”

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Obviously Doocy has engaged in a hate crime.

Expect a call from the Missouri attorney general and a visit from law enforcement.

moxie_neanderthal on September 29, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I say Kudos to Brian. Someone somewhere please stand up for yourself. I can’t watch the video because I am work and I don’t ascribe to any bad intentions to Sen. Obama’s use of the solider’s name. But I am a little sick of people standing by while that campaign attaches any number of slurs (liar, racist, mentally challenged)to people who don’t give full throated support to Sen. Obama. And guess what, regardless how “fair” the folks on Fox are or aren’t they will always be treated like a second class organization, so stand up for your beliefs. I don’t notice anybody on this site holding back went they disagree and I wouldn’t want them to.

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2008 at 12:36 PM

By all means tell them to do so and let them carry out your wishes.

We don’t know that the fallen soldiers wanted this spotlight.

It’s a hop, skip & jump from here to ‘Sheehan Territory’ when we presume to use the departed as political leverage.

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM

It’s ok. The Goon Squad will have Doocy and Kilmeade arrested, and the Truth™ will live on in Obamaland (PBUH).

spmat on September 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Oh and another thing, I remember my husband’s reaction to the fall of Siagon and the soliders that apparently died for nothing in Vietnam. I know that the feelings aren’t uniform but some soliders felt betrayed. For the most part they don’t like to lose.

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM

We don’t know that the fallen soldiers wanted this spotlight.

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM

It goes both ways. What evidence do you have that the soldier and/or family didn’t want McCain using their story? My guess is the do want McCain using their story…in fact I think he prefaced his coments with something to this effect. Obama on the other hand had been asked NOT to use the story of their son and did so anyway. Why would you assume that any use of a dead soldier’s story is automaticlly some sort of abuse or “cheap prop”?

davenp35 on September 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM

The bottom line here is that she asked Obama not to mention her son in speeches or debates and he did anyway. It’s a moot point whether she happens to be OK with it after the fact. She’s a committed Democrat and “political junkie”, so she knows how bad this could look for BO. It’s telling that she wouldn’t say whether she wants Barry to actually stop using her son’s name now that she knows he’s just ignoring her request.

WolkingsWorld.com on September 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM

davenp35 on September 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Because I have standards, and I will voice my opinion of others. That’s all that matters to me.

Next we’ll have a “who’s wearing the most bracelets”, or “bracelet diversity” contest.

It’s cheap.

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Fox News hosts are following Megan Kelly’s lead. The No BS Zones.

tberke on September 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM

WolkingsWorld.com on September 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Yes! And the fact that he forgot the soldier’s name.

AubieJon on September 29, 2008 at 12:49 PM

I say kudos to Brian as well. No one else in the media can actually follow-up on a Obama lie. EVER.
I wish more in the media would actually do their jobs.

Repubtallygirl on September 29, 2008 at 12:49 PM

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM

LMFAO! Should I be worried? Naaaaa. Though I do wonder why you thought about me HA! I live in Anchorage, about 1200 miles south of the fake (did you see breath at -40?) and yet mildly rejectable Barrow area.

Unfortunately there are still blood sucking rejects far and wide… even in Barrow.

upinak on September 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Lord I could only wish to see him in the studio with Brian, let him pull out some moves he learned back in the day when he was an announcer for the UFC.

Gibbs is such a self rightious jerk, he came on with the attack Fox News mind set and looked like a toold for doing so. Brian atleast called him out, you need guys on these news shows who aren’t gonna let the campaigns spin lies, other stations take the few McCain people to task for everything, Fox News needs to start pointing out when these people come on and straight lie.

This woman asked Barack not to use her sons name because she thought it disrepected families who believed in the war, a noble way to say “My Son believed in this war even though I didn’t” Barack in turn disrespected her wishes and all the families she mentioned. Too bad in the last 6 months she too has downed a little too much Obam-aid and is now spinning her own thoughts.

Rbastid on September 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM

let’s invite on the loser from Everybody Loves Raymond.

For those of us here in reality, I think that “Raymond” went off the air two or three years ago. Not sure for those in Liberaland. What else do you watch there?

oldleprechaun on September 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I do find it fitting that this election is all about bracelets and pigs wearing lipstick. This election has become a complete circus.

LevStrauss on September 29, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Look, I don’t think that Obama knew that the mother didn’t want her son mentioned. The campaign maybe, but not Obama. I’ll give him that.

The point that I see is that now we know the father certainly does not want his son’s name used or the bracelet worn, I think Obama should take it off. I’m sure he can find parents of a fallen soldier that both agree that Obama should wear it.

Imagine this for yourself. Imagine that your ex-wife gave Obama this bracelet with your son’s name on it. It was wrong of her to do such a thing without her ex-husband’s permission. Just wrong. This was his father. She knew he disagreed with Obama.

Now it’s embarrassing for everyone and I just feel sorry for the family.

Rightwingsparkle on September 29, 2008 at 1:06 PM

LMFAO! Should I be worried? Naaaaa. Though I do wonder why you thought about me

lol

No….no creepiness intended! “Upinak” is literally the only person I know ‘up there’, and I just wondered whether the whole freaky vampire scenario struck a chord with you s’all!

Does it really go totally nighttime dark up there for 30 days? I thought it just went like a dark twilight….

LimeyGeek on September 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM

The blame begins and pretty much ends with the mom. You don’t ask Barack Obama, presidential candidate, to wear a bracelet with your dead son’s name on it, and then complain about his politicizing it when he mentions it in public; just like you don’t go to work in a low-cut blouse and high-cut skirt, and complain when Jenkins from accounting stares at your cleavage. At that point, whatever further instructions the mom gave Obama are of little relevance.

greggriffith on September 29, 2008 at 1:40 PM

What would mainstream Americans do without Steve Doocy, Brian Kilmeade and Sean Hannity? They are great.

Can anyone forget when Brian Kilmeade took on the lefty loon Janeane Garofalo?

sinsing on September 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Gretchen is hot. What were they talking about?

whitetop on September 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Strange of me to have one, but I think I can come up with a bipartisan compromise on the topic. Bracelets are fine for little girls but grown men shouldn’t be wearing them unless it is to give the emergency room specific information on them. Ever since this stupid bracelet fad came out that cyclist who doped his way to all those Tour De Frances made his way on my s-list.

LevStrauss on September 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Off on a tangent…

What’s that pin on the guy’s lapel? It looks like the one Obama had on at the debate, but I couldn’t make it out clearly in either case. It doesn’t appear to be the flag of the USA, though it seems to incorporate the US flag as the left half. I see a round blob or circular marking in the right half on a ligher background. Rising Sun? UN globe? Hammer and Sickle?

DarkCurrent on September 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

This argument detracts from the fact that Obama had to look at the bracelet.

davod on September 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM

“What’s that pin on the guy’s lapel?” Maybe it incorporates the Obama seal. Now that would be worth a million votes if handled properly.

davod on September 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM

The Obama guy admits, “…she (the mom) did not want it to get politicized”

So, what does Obama do, he politicizes it.

She (the mom) wanted Obama to remember her son, so what does Obama do…I got a bracelet here to, John, it’s hmmmm….haw…from…the mother of

Doesn’t sound like he remembered it.

Captain America on September 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM

The Obama people are so arrogant.

carbon_footprint on September 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM

The Jedi mind trick………FAIL!!!!

grapeknutz on September 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM

The obama campaign-The whole truth & nothing but HIS truth!

christene on September 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM

The Messiah can wear anybody’s bracelet. Got that. Now vote for me you racist.

Mojave Mark on September 29, 2008 at 8:17 PM

ThackerAgency on September 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I think the difference is that when the mother gave her son’s bracelet to John McCain, she asked him to do everything he could to make sure her son didn’t die in vain.

I believe and it seems that others do as well, that it is important to elect John McCain in order to finish the job in Iraq and not come home too soon.

So, I don’t see what John did as crass politicization, but an attempt to impress upon the audience how seriously John feels about this conflict and the young men and women who have died. He could have been one of those lost in war, but he survived and he knows the ramifications of leaving too soon.

Sen. Obama on the other hand used the young man’s bracelet as a cheap political one-up-man-ship and didn’t even know the name on the bracelet.

That’s the difference.

Jvette on September 29, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Get the facts right by Obama’fact checking of Fox,
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh please,can
Hopey ever tell a straight story,without the lying
spin!

canopfor on September 29, 2008 at 10:31 PM

McCain had permission to use the bracelet (correct me if I’m wrong). Hussein did not.

McCain was wrong. Hussein was wrong.

Next topic.

Tommygun on September 29, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Well, he’s a snotty little cuss isn’t he? Just as snide and snotty as they come. What happened to the great uniter?

doncow on September 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM

The mother has said she’s okay with Obama talking about her son and the bracelet, which settles that issue. For the mother.

Apparently, the father felt differently, so Obama was wrong to refer to it. But I could overlook that, since it could be an innocent mistake.

On the other hand, this “making stuff up” claim by the Obama campaign is nothing but a lie. Gibbs tries to have it both ways, claiming she didn’t want her son’s death politicized, but it’s “making stuff up” to say that she didn’t want Obama to mention her son during a very political debate. Which, of course, is politicizing her son’s death.

It wasn’t just spin, it was bold, slimy, audacious spin that insults the hearer’s intelligence. No one should have let him get away with it.

Kilmeade was