Video: Chris Matthews interviews daughter, doesn’t identify her

posted at 9:18 pm on September 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Fishbowl DC, another one for MSNBC’s Peabody highlight reel. As much as we’d all enjoy a good outrage fit at this lapse of ethics, does anyone (a) think his questions would have been less marshmallow if his daughter wasn’t there, or (b) worry about penny-ante transgressions like this in light of Matty and Olby being neck-deep in the tank for The One? Given what else goes on at MSNBC, it seems almost quaint. Remember, this is a network whose star “reporters” hand envelopes filled with money to the people they’re interviewing — on camera.

Update: I should mention, per Fishbowl, that his daughter asked not to be identified. Whether that complicates the ethical question, I leave for you to judge.

Comments

Hmm. Are you sure “the reason she’s a U.S. Senator is because her husband messed around”

oh wait… wrong woman.

battleoflepanto1571 on September 29, 2008 at 9:20 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on September 29, 2008 at 9:20 PM

The network of fake exploding gas tanks hasen’t learned a thing.

meci on September 29, 2008 at 9:21 PM

So does this mean his daughter is “fair game” now?

Mark1971 on September 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Why is Chrissy ashamed that she’s his daughter?

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 9:23 PM

And to think, the left had aneurisms over Doocey’s kid turning up on TV.

Big John on September 29, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Is he so desperate he’s resorted to dragging his own family into this race? What a tool.

BacaDog on September 29, 2008 at 9:25 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on September 29, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Thanks for the link. Yet another example of Chrissy’s unprofessional hack jobs.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM

She was probably ashamed to have her connection to that boob publicized…

d1carter on September 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM

I say, let’s give the kid a break. I’m sure her life sucks enough having such a buffoon for a father.

Dagnar on September 29, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Seems to me that these kids made a good case for voting against Obama and the expansion of government programs.

Connie on September 29, 2008 at 9:27 PM

I understand she’s been pretty much “fair game” for a while now!

Vince on September 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Eh, that’s kind of weird. That he wouldn’t introduce her as his daughter that is…

4shoes on September 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Chris Mathews’ questionable ethics aside, I agree with those young people.

mram on September 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Daughter Matthews: “Dad? Can you give my pseudo-intellectual student group some camera time today?”

Poppa Matthews: “HA! HA! HA! I LOVE IT!”

Pasalubong on September 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM

So there actually is a motor-mouth gene in our DNA.

Who knew?

fogw on September 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM

CHRIS MATTHEWS’S DAUGHTER?

THAT’S REALLY BRISTOL PALIN’S DAUGHTER!!!!

DIGG.COM TOLD ME IT WAS SO!

battleoflepanto1571 on September 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM

According to the link, she asked the producers not to identify her.

Valiant on September 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM

See my update.

Also, lay off the kid, please.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 9:34 PM

So Matthews’ daughter is against “entitlement” programs?

Tzetzes on September 29, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Thats one way of controlling an interview. ; ))

Angry Dumbo on September 29, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Ole Miss? I guess his daughter isn’t smart enough for an Ivy League school. No wonder he didn’t name her. He’s embarrassed about her going to Ole Miss. Chtissy prefers the northeastern elitist indoctrination centers.

roninacreage on September 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Ole Miss? I guess his daughter isn’t smart enough for an Ivy League school.

No, his daughter goes to Penn, which is Ivy League. They were at Ole Miss for the debate.

Did I or did I not just say to lay off the kid?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Connie on September 29, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Chris Mathews’ questionable ethics aside, I agree with those young people.

mram on September 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Yup!

Tzetzes on September 29, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Let’s be fair to the girl and think this out. If Tweety was your father, you wouldn’t want to be identified either.

JammieWearingFool on September 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM

So he used his Penn attending daughter to push her cause?

Ole Miss students not good enough for face time?

roninacreage on September 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM

According to the current NBC hiring policies, she will take over his show if he runs for Senate and wins. We have political royalty and now media royalty.

flyoverland on September 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Did I or did I not just say to lay off the kid?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM

And thread traffic drops to zero.

I agree with what those kids were saying, but they’ll still probably vote for Obama.

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2008 at 9:48 PM

This was posted to cull the herd, just too many conservatives to survive the fairness doctrine. Chrissy and his daughter…………(not gonna do it!)

dmann on September 29, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Does this mean that Chris just “pimped” out his daughter…………?

……….. where’s the outrage?

Seven Percent Solution on September 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Wow, so he had testicles at some point, eh?

SouthernGent on September 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Honestly, were they so hard up to find that viewpoint from someone NOT related to on-air staff as to even elicit impropriety?

thirtypundit on September 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Maybe he’s trying to line up a job for her like Russert did for his kid…

Mr. Bingley on September 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Slightly OT, from Instapundit in case you haven’t seen:

A READER AT A MAJOR NEWSROOM EMAILS: “Off the record, every suspicion you have about MSM being in the tank for O is true. We have a team of 4 people going thru dumpsters in Alaska and 4 in arizona. Not a single one looking into Acorn, Ayers or Freddiemae. Editor refuses to publish anything that would jeopardize election for O, and betting you dollars to donuts same is true at NYT, others. People cheer when CNN or NBC run another Palin-mocking but raising any reasonable inquiry into obama is derided or flat out ignored. The fix is in, and its working.” I asked permission to reprint without attribution and it was granted.

silverfox on September 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM

SouthernGent on September 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM

+10…..I’ve learned to put the drink down before I read comments!

dmann on September 29, 2008 at 9:54 PM

haha, oh my gosh, this reaches a new level of douchebaggery… anyway, I’m on my way to drinking at least one beer for each trillion on the national debt, either way

RightWinged on September 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM

silverfox on September 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM

If that’s what’s going on (like we couldn’t tell), we need a whistleblower who is willing to go on record.

People in the media either aren’t remotely curious about Obama’s past, or they are being prevented from talking about it. This is scary, people.

capitalist piglet on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Yup….they’re just a non-partisan group just hanging around who happen to catch the attention of MSNBC.
Could happen to anybody.

Como se diz lame?

NeoKong on September 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM

To be honest, I’m a little disgusted by these on-air media types securing jobs for their kids… and that includes Doocey. We now get to listen to the Russert kid AND the Doocey kid on teevee periodically, so I guess Matthews is pulling a trick of his own.

Whatever happened to just throwing your kid out there with the caveat “I struggled, now you go do the same thing.”

This doesn’t even come close to passing the smell test.

How many talented, hard-working young “nobodies” got passed up so Doocey Jr and Russert Jr could start mugging for the cameras. To be honest, it’s just shameful.

Gartrip on September 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Doh! Just now saw AP’s request to lay off the kid.

Sorry AP. But it looks like she is in college, which makes her an adult.

If we can’t hate on Chris Matthews on today of all days, well I guess I’m gonna have to give up hating altogether.

Peace out.

connertown on September 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM

capitalist piglet on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I feel the same way: it’s getting scary. The scope and mixture of arrogance and ignorance is breathtaking.

silverfox on September 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Reminds me of this famous NBC stunt. Fast forward to 2:45 for the good stuff:

haha

JeffreyLloyd on September 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Matthews is a hack. He had zero credibility, now he’s in a credibility deficiet. He’s reaching Olberdouche levels now.

Hog Wild on September 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM

“THAT’S REALLY BRISTOL PALIN’S DAUGHTER!!!!”

HEH!

Buckaroo on September 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Buckaroo on September 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Oh, well then, fire for effect!

dmann on September 29, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Completely non-partisan my ass!

The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Winebabe on September 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I’ll bet she wishes he was a game show host instead. She would clean up as a “randomly chosen audience member”.

BDavis on September 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

They looked like prisoners….
Does that mean they have no right to vote?

KZnextzone on September 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I should mention, per Fishbowl, that his daughter asked not to be identified.

How’s that working out for her? Non-story.

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Gartrip on September 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Who cares, it’s the family business.

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Did I or did I not just say to lay off the kid?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM

But when did any non-Ivy League school become a bad place to go? I guess it’s a different situation for the daughter of Chris Matthews, who could probably was held to lower standards. But, nonetheless, what’s wrong with Ole Miss? Anyways, I don’t know much about the kids’ politics but they seemed to actually care and made some good points. I only think the daughter didn’t want to be identifyed because it would appear that she was only being interviewed because of her Dad, not the merits of her group/cause. I’m fine with that. It was a short interview and they actually said something constructive (a rarity for the OlbyNet). Leave the kid (and Chris “Thrill Up My Leg” Matthews) alone on this one.

malan89 on September 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM

BTW, here’s their website if you’re interested. Just a lot of vague language about the national debt. But it certainly isn’t negative. But, I mean, who ISN’T against getting rid of the national debt (besides the ChiComs, of course).

malan89 on September 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM

The bubblegum presentation aside, they sounded like a group of Young Republicans.

I guess sometimes the apple DOES fall far from the tree…

Wine_N_Dine on September 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

…in terms of admissions standards for college. Not that I’m saying she wasn’t smart enough to get into Penn on her own (I can’t judge her, b/c I know nothing about her), but I’m sure being Matthews’ kid didn’t hurt. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

malan89 on September 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Wait! WHAT?!?!? Bill Clinton cheated on his wife and now she’s a US Senator? Where have I been the last eight years? Oh yeah! Ignoring Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann, right …right…right…

In the words of the immortal Edith Ann from the days of when SNL was still funny…….Never Mind!!!

Vntnrse on September 29, 2008 at 10:33 PM

CHRIS MATTHEWS’S DAUGHTER?

THAT’S REALLY BRISTOL PALIN’S DAUGHTER!!!!

DIGG.COM TOLD ME IT WAS SO!

battleoflepanto1571 on September 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM

LMAO! Hilarious!

freeus on September 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM

I don’t think the ethics have much to do with her desire not to be identified. He shouldn’t have talked to her period; the only ethical exception would have been if she would have consented to admit she was his daughter. All he did was make them both look foolish. If she wanted anonymity, she shouldn’t have been on TV at all.

austinnelly on September 29, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Just another blip of evidence of MSNBC’s and Matthew’s hackery. Doesn’t matter. They are what they are. If only they would drop the pretense.

rockhead on September 29, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Actually, the kids are right.

adamsweb on September 29, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Sorry, can’t help myself.

Character: Edith Ann
Show: Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In
Actress: Lily Tomlin
Tagline: “And that’s the truth! Pbbt! (tongue raspberry)

Character: Emily Litella
Show: NBC’s Saturday Night
Actress: Gilda Radner
Tagline: Oh… that’s completely different. (i.e., Youth in Asia vs euthanasia) Never mind!

Yes, I feel better now.

DuffBeer on September 30, 2008 at 12:45 AM

My judgment is that it makes the ethical question easier. If she didn’t want to be identified as his daughter, in no way should he be interviewing her.

Karl on September 30, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Nice kids, good to see them involved.

We have tons of material on Mathews – a DAD interviewing his college daughter is not a scandal

Having strategy sessions with the Obama campaigns are

EricPWJohnson on September 30, 2008 at 1:17 AM

How can she ask not to be identified? Did she think it was radio?

Ronnie on September 30, 2008 at 2:06 AM

SNL should do a skit where the interviewee keeps calling him Dad. They won’t. But they should.

Ronnie on September 30, 2008 at 2:08 AM

I love how these libral groups call themselves a non-partisan group. I seriously don’t think anyone buys that lie any more. It’s like saying the DBM is not biased.

lwssdd on September 30, 2008 at 2:44 AM

I haven’t gotten past the fact someone once had sex with Chris Matthews.

Chuck Schick on September 30, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Still wrong on the SNL skit bit…the ‘Never Mind!!’ line of Gilda Radner’s went with her “Roseanne Adan Adanna” (sp?) character…

Gohawgs on September 30, 2008 at 3:41 AM

Matthews asked them if they were Republicans, Democrats, or whatever, and their spokesperson responded that they were non partisan, concerned about the debt.

Yeah.

I really believe they are “non-partisan.”

Educated guess – they are died in the wool, hard core, leftist/liberal/Democrats.

William2006 on September 30, 2008 at 3:49 AM

matthews daughter is a conservative?

peacenprosperity on September 30, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Did I or did I not just say to lay off the kid?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM

This comment made my morning. I’m sincerely jazzed to see Allah stepping up to defend a child.

It’s like some “memorable quote” from a Bruce Willis action flick. I dig tough Allah.

In other news, “nonpartisan” = liberal Democrat, while “independent” = liberal Democrat.

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 6:19 AM

Maybe Matthews didn’t want to identify his kid because she and all her friends are wearing prison stripes…

Kevin71 on September 30, 2008 at 6:41 AM

Wasn’t Chrissy gonna run for somethingorother at one time?

seanrobins on September 30, 2008 at 6:50 AM

Did I or did I not just say to lay off the kid?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM

He really shouldn’t've interviewed her then.

. . . now where did I put that “research”?

seanrobins on September 30, 2008 at 6:51 AM

Matthews and Olberdouches love child

Viper1 on September 30, 2008 at 7:20 AM

Matthews and Olberdouches love child

Niice. She has two mommies.

Fuquay Steve on September 30, 2008 at 7:36 AM

They’re really really concerned about the national debt being run up, that’s why they’re crazy for Obama. I think that, given the ever lengthening maturing process in America, we need to raise the voting age to 32.

argos on September 30, 2008 at 8:03 AM

I’m left wondering “why?”.

I’d say that if the girl refused to be identified, the smart thing would have been to keep her off camera. Or, as the left would say, “What parent would put their daughter on the national stage like that?!?”

Geministorm on September 30, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Just more of “Pimping Out” that MSNBC is infamous for.

Ha!

LibertarianConservative on September 30, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Non-partisan…as in…Media Matters?

Here’s your quote…

“We’re completely non-partisan through student organization and we’re just concerned about that when we’re going to be politicians that we’re not going to have a government [mumble].”

Non-partisan but concerned about when he is going to be a politician. With that kind of transparency, my friend, you are well on your way!

Levinite on September 30, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Come on. Would you want anyone to know Chris Matthews was YOUR dad?

Badger40 on September 30, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Gohawgs

No, it was the aged, hard-of-hearing Emily Latella [sp?] who misheard phrases and ended with, “Never mind,” often followed by “bitch” to Jane Curtin. Roseanne was the extroverted Italo-American who would create analogies using her childhood to goad the serious Curtin.

andycanuck on September 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Just goes to show what a joke this loser is…

reshas1 on September 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM

So I guess that means that Chrissy’s a liar… They claimed to be a “non-partisan” group…. I have come to find that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree….

CynicalOptimist on September 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM