Trailer: An American Carol

posted at 10:20 am on September 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The new David Zucker movie, An American Carol, opens in theaters this week. The trailer on my YouTube channel has seen a spike in interest in the last few days, so this seems like a good time to post it and remind people of the opening night on Friday:

The film features an all-star cast: Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper, James Woods, Jon Voight, and many others. Grammer and Kevin Farley get most of the screen time, and Grammer does a good job as General George S. Patton in this farce. Farley is quite funny as Michael Malone, and Robert Davi is appropriately menacing as a terrorist bent on destroying the United States. The film itself was uneven in the rough cut I saw, but it’s definitely worth seeing at the theater — if for no other reason than the novelty of watching an unabashedly conservative comedy.

The film’s website has downloads, greeting cards to send liberals, and contests. Be sure to check it out and to spread the word.

Comments

I have the bar for this set very low, but am going to cough up the money out of principle.

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Well I’ll be there.

Kronos on September 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Can’t wait to see the movie this weekend.

jencab on September 29, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Since my bank just got taken over by Citigorup this morning, and provided I have any moeny left I plan to go see this movie for no other reason the sheer principle. It is the only real way we have of slapping the Hollywood elites in the face.

Just A Grunt on September 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I’ll cough up the bucks to see this one.

Bet the negative reviews are already written.

TimBuk3 on September 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Unfortunately, I have to agree. The trailer looks awful. I’m holding out some hope because Zucker’s movies are usually at least chuckle-worthy.

ErikTheRed on September 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I don’t suppose this’ll play in canada? And I actually want to see it because it looks funny. Ungrateful louts. =(

Darth Executor on September 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM

ErikTheRed on September 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM

This trailer sucks. Ed had a bunch of hilarious clips from it a few weeks ago though.

Darth Executor on September 29, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I’ll wear my McCain / Palin shirt…….

This should be a refreshing change from Hollyweird.

tonylipsey on September 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Been looking forward to this one. What will be interesting is how it performs vs all the big budget anti war flops, and what the media spin is.

wildcat84 on September 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Speaking of new movies, Fireproof is tear-jerking, suspenseful, & laugh-out-loud funny at times. Good clean entertainment with a great lesson on how to make your marriage successful, without being too preachy.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM

I’m so there if just to see a Mickey Moore like character get slapped.

This is hollywood I can support.

Zucker did an interview about how different he and his brother have become in political points of view. It was funny. I think if we want more (no pun) of these movies, we have to show we’ll spend some bucks to see it. Don’t expect any rave reviews from hollywood critics.

hawkdriver on September 29, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I appreciate the sentiment of the movie…
…but it is exactly this style of humor that makes me cringe.

Count to 10 on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

It’s the conventional wisdom here that all the anti-war films bomb because Americans want to see less Hollywood liberalism and more conservatism in films. So this movie should be a box office smash right? Right??

crr6 on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

We should be grateful for the small mercies that come our way.

promachus on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

oops, it posted before I was finished. Good job, Zucker.

promachus on September 29, 2008 at 10:44 AM

crr6 on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Right.
Your point is…?

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:44 AM

In the interest of promoting freedom of speech for Hollywood conservatives, EVERYONE should go see An American Carol. They have been intimidated by the Hollywood left for far too long. That is what this is all about, folks.

Connie on September 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM

crr6 on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

No, it’s the conventional wisdom that people hate political propaganda disguised as an innocent movie. This isn’t any more disguised than a Michael Moore movie.

Darth Executor on September 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM

I appreciate the sentiment of the movie…
…but it is exactly this style of humor that makes me cringe.

I also appreciate the sentiment of the movie…
…& it is exactly this style of humor that makes me LOL.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:46 AM

crr6 on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Uh, wrong. The conventional wisdom is that Americans want to see films that entertain, but don’t preach about how bad America is.

fossten on September 29, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Right??

crr6 on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I’ll do my part. :-)

Right_of_Attila on September 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM

“You sound like Ronald Reagan!”

“Thank you.”

Looking forward to it.

MadisonConservative on September 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM

This movie is up against Bill Maher’s crap film against religion.
WE NEED TO SUPPORT THIS MOVIE!!!

jencab on September 29, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Just to listen to the critics whine will be worth the money…actually they will hold their nose and try to be civil so they don’t sound petty, but they will still sound petty.
The interview with Farley is funny. When asked what his political view were, he thought, Okay this is where I never work again…then said he was a conservative.

right2bright on September 29, 2008 at 10:53 AM

“I’m the Angel of Freakin’ Death…”

LOL

CurtZHP on September 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM

“I’m the Angel of Freakin’ Death…”

LOL

CurtZHP on September 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Ditto to that one! LOL! Will be going. Probably good therapy after this past week! It will be grand to see Michael Moore get his come uppence, even if it is fictional.

freeus on September 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Right.
Your point is…?

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Let’s see if this outgrosses say….Fahrenheit 9/11.

crr6 on September 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM

“You sound like Ronald Reagan!”

“Thank you.”

LOL!

Ok, that one sold me. I’ll be there.

Yakko77 on September 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I’m gonna do a lot more than red, white and blue. People have told me I look just like Palin, so I’m wearing my fancy-schmancy McCain windshirt, and doing my hair like she had it at the convention. I’ve got a big group of people together to go. Gonna be fun! It’s been an eternity since I’ve been excited to see anything at the box office.

Everybody needs to support this movie. I believe “W” is opening the same night.

ErinF on September 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM

jencab on September 29, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Maher’s movie is hardly playing anywhere. It’s already doomed to bomb.

Darth Executor on September 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM

This isn’t any more disguised than a Michael Moore movie. – Darth Executor on September 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM

The crucial difference, of course, is that Zucker doesn’t call his motion pictures “documentaries.”

ManlyRash on September 29, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I smell a fish!

I just got online to buy some tickets for opening day.
There is not a single theater in Houston that is showing the movie.

I am bumbed out, big time!

Does anyone know what the deal is?

TheSitRep on September 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Maher’s movie is hardly playing anywhere. It’s already doomed to bomb.

I didn’t even know that evil nut had a movie.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM

“THE GENIUS OF MOVIE SATIRE” – David Zucker

So, is David Zucker calling himself a genius or are the people who put this trailer together the real geniuses?

And speaking of Real Genius, I’m sure that movie will be better than this one.

YYZ on September 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM

went to the website and tried to send the ecards but it won’t let me. (just says error occured)

any idea why???

ExTex on September 29, 2008 at 11:25 AM

If it plays in my county, I’m taking the wife and going (kids get a babysitter).

Geministorm on September 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Rosie O’Donell?

I smell a fish!

TheSitRep on September 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Not sayin’. Just sayin’.

davidk on September 29, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I even just called a local cinemark 18 and they never even heard of the movie.

TheSitRep on September 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM

A few days ago I checked my local theaters on playing times and got nothing. I just checked again and it came up with the theater with the big wide comfy seats about a mile from my house.

I like going to the movies with my little guys, but they’re with their mother this week-end. I’ll go alone on Friday, then take them to see it after school on Monday. (More ticket sales).

(Ya…I know PG-13 and all, but they hear worse words coming out of the mouth of my ex on their visits to their mother).

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 29, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Speaking of the contest,yours truly is in 7thplace overall in the contest. The top 5 places get two tickets to the LA premiere with the cast and crew.

I’m trying to get into the 5th place position as my son is an aspiring actor (starving in NY) and it would be a great opportunity for him to be able to attend the premiere. I gain points by ending people the movie trailers so if you want to help a fellow HA member please contact me via e-mail with you e-mail addresses to receive the movie trailer directly from me at ehszone@orbitelcom.com

Also, it would be great for this movie to do better than the lefty Bush bashing film “W” that is due to release this Friday as well, so get out there and support this film and support me in the contest!

Thanks all!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Thanks all!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Check your e-mail folder.

Your welcome.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM

i tried a bunch of zip codes on the website and nothing.

they must have not loaded theaters yet to avoid the in your face obamaton demonstrations

billypaintbrush on September 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Check your e-mail folder.

Your welcome.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Thanks GoDaddy!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Not my kind of humor, but can’t help but laugh at liberals finally being the butt of the joke.

Sackett on September 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM

I think the trailer looks bad for what conservatives might consider an ideal comedy, but compare it to trash like Epic Movie, and you’re reminded that it was never supposed to be The Godfather. I think it will be okay, but reviews will be negative because of ideology.

jimmy the notable on September 29, 2008 at 1:01 PM

I’m there if for no other reason than to support it, just as I did Facing the Giants and Fireproof.

BTW, Fireproof brought in $6.5 million and showed up fourth in the box office this weekend. Not too bad for a non-Hollywood movie. Take your family and go see it. It is worth the price of admission.

raz0r on September 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Is that REALLY Bill O’Reilly?

He should have given Barry O’Bama the slapdown when he had the chance.

Steve Z on September 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM

It actually looks far better than I thought it’d be. I laughed out loud twice … which is twice more than I usually would at a Zucker flick.

I had no clue Farley had a younger brother in show biz.

Professor Blather on September 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Looks good to me. I may just have to buy this one

There has been a humor famine for a long time now as comedians mistake rage for humor. This may have started with Gore who set the rage standard

I am happy just thinking about this film.

Zucker is cool.

I hate going to the theater because someone always coughs germs all over me and the floors are sticky. I will sacrifice my protective shields for this one

entagor on September 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Well I guess some people like Airplane-like humor & some don’t. I personally thought the trailer was hilarious.
Whatever your preference, a person should go see it out of curiosity’s sake. When do you EVER see anything from the far left presented in Hollywood?
I really loved the part when Patton & Hopper were going after the ACLU lawyers ‘Dawn of the Dead’ style. What a riot!

Badger40 on September 29, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Ooops- Mean when do you see anything ABOUT the far left presented in Hollywood.

Badger40 on September 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM

entagor on September 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM

entagor, if you buy the DVD be sure to look at the special features section as I will be listed as a national leader in support of promoting the movie.

Also:

Speaking of the contest, yours truly is in 7th place overall in the contest. The top 5 places get two tickets to the LA premiere with the cast and crew.

I’m trying to get into the 5th place position as my son is an aspiring actor (starving in NY) and it would be a great opportunity for him to be able to attend the premiere. I gain points by sending people the movie trailers so if you want to help a fellow HA member please contact me via e-mail with your e-mail addresses (or anyone else that won’t mind getting the movie trailes) directly to me at ehszone@orbitelcom.com

Thanks all!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Any help would be appreciated!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I had no clue Farley had a younger brother in show biz.

Professor Blather on September 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Two younger brothers, actually, Kevin and John. And judging from IMDB, both appear to be working regularly, if not exactly famous.

tom on September 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Any help would be appreciated!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Another “check your email post”. Happy to help!

dustoffmom on September 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM

There’s a grand total of ONE theatre showing this in the city of Shee-ca-guh and I WILL be visiting it on Friday!
(It goes without saying that there’s going to be many showings of Bill Mahers crap movie”Religilous”.
Pepole around here are such sheep.)

annoyinglittletwerp on September 29, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I’ll be there if anything just to support a NOT leftwing movie!

HotAirExpert on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Liberty or Death

Dude. check your email

Guardian on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Guardian on September 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Thank you HA members, keep them coming!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

I liked this trailer better than the previous clips. I’m definitely going to see this now.

aengus on September 29, 2008 at 7:53 PM

It’s worth going to see just for the Kennedy scene, where he repeats his inaugural address asking MM to listen to the “war part.”

silverfox on September 29, 2008 at 8:20 PM

If it were a left leaning movie, hot air would brand Kelsey Grammer and the rest of them ‘B-listers’.

That’s right, I’m calling you out.

tlynch001 on September 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

That’s right, I’m calling you out.

tlynch001 on September 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Kelsey Grammer? James Woods? Don’t think so.

Some of the other actors could justifiably be termed B-listers, but that’s true for pretty much every movie. Every movie has its minor roles, which are usually filled by B-list or lower celebrities.

But I think the usual “B-lister” tag is applied to celebrities who are lecturing the rest of us on what we should think, not actors who are actually, you know, acting.

theregoestheneighborhood on September 30, 2008 at 1:23 AM

I think we know that liberalism is inherently sillier than conservatism. There’s a lot of unmined material for a movie like this. I don’t know if it will be good, but I’m very hopeful.

theregoestheneighborhood on September 30, 2008 at 1:33 AM