Religious experts to left: Um, Palin’s “witchcraft” blessing isn’t that weird

posted at 9:50 pm on September 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Yeah, turns out Christians have been known to pray for protection from supernatural evil. And Christians from parts of the world where people believe in witchcraft have been known to pray for protection from witchcraft specifically. Who could have guessed, except for me, Ace, and everyone else who doesn’t hate Palin passionately?

To blame for the misunderstanding: McCain, of course, because he didn’t carefully explain a belief system that anyone could learn about by opening up an encyclopedia.

The “witchcraft” line in particular caught the attention of liberal pundits and bloggers. Keith Olbermann, host of MSNBC’s “Countdown,” called the video “terrifying” and said it made the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the much-criticized ex-pastor of Barack Obama, look “pretty mainstream” in comparison.

But religious experts said there was nothing untoward in the video, which they said shows a fairly routine religious ceremony. Misunderstanding over it has grown because of the McCain campaign’s refusal to comment on the video, suggesting that the campaign was on uncomfortable footing with Palin’s religion, the experts said.

Jacob K. Olupana, a religion professor at Harvard, said the campaign appears to have been caught flat-footed when trying to answer questions on Palin’s faith. “I’m not sure they understand it,” he said.

“What you saw was something very basic that happens in a Pentecostal church,” said Anthea Butler, a religion professor at the University of Rochester. “You would see this in any Pentecostal church on any given Sunday.”…

“I don’t know why they are making a big thing out of it,” Olupana said of the media reaction to the video. “Witchcraft as part of a belief system is real to the people who live there,” he said, noting that there was “nothing unusual about what happened.”

Exit question: What would the campaign have gained by commenting on the video? Liberals who think this is irredeemably nutty won’t be swayed by the fact that McCain doesn’t or that a lot of Pentecostals don’t either.

Update: Tangentially related per the point about hating Palin passionately, here’s some graffiti a reader in Seattle spotted. I’m guessing whoever did this is very concerned indeed about that withcraft business.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Careful Allah.

Sarah’s gonna twitch her nose three times and make you disappear.

fogw on September 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Let me know when her Pastor says:

1). God Damn America
2). AIDS was created by the U.S. government to exterminate black people.

tdavisjr on September 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Prayer of Saint Michael, that many Catholic’s pray everyday (and used to pray at the end of mass):

Saint Michael Prayer
Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God
cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

JeffreyLloyd on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

At work our resident lefty has some snarky comment about this on the whiteboard in the office. Didn’t even bother to respond to such ignorance.

Bob's Kid on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

BOW TO THE MESSIAH, YOUR GOD KING!

(“but watch out for that nutty Palin lady, some people in her religion believe in protecting against witchcraft.

So… you going to the Wiccan festival tomorrow? Oh yeah, everyone is doing it.”)

BKennedy on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

It’s pretty impressive he can say this stuff with a straight face.

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

The baptism ceremony in many churches asks the parents and godparents if they “renounce the Devil and all his works and all his ways.”

Wethal on September 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Bob’s Kid on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Just write G Damn America underneath it, or maybe note that the U.S. invented AIDS to kill black people or that 9/11 was our fault. That should do it.

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM

The left would be more at ease if she were being blessed by a coven of Witches.

Elizabetty on September 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM

It’s pretty impressive he can say this stuff with a straight face.

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Keith ?? AP does it all the time here too. This place is living up to it’s name. I know, I know .. where’s that door again ?

redrock on September 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM

If you comment on the video, you give it credence.

This is nothing more than attacking Palin on the people surrounding her than anything else. And it’s funny to see this coming from the Left — the Left that is so “respectful” of Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and other world religious actions.

The day Palin screams “WE HAVE TO FIGHT WITCHCRAFT!” is the day this story has legs.

And let’s not forget that the Pastor giving this blessing is Kenyan. Kinda like Obama’s heritage.

Nice to see the media omit that little fact.

lansing quaker on September 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM

“Evil” is mentioned in the most commonly recited prayer of all. I am baffled as to how anyone could manage to make this an issue.

capitalist piglet on September 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Maybe it would’ve been better to have a video of Palin in prayers against people like Rev. Wright, and not witchcraft?

*kicks a pebble*

Kokonut on September 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Allah, you need to get out more. This stuff happens all the time. My parents, gasp, pray for a safe trip every time they get in the car.

SouthernGent on September 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Pentecostal Christians have been previously elected to high office in the United States, for example, former Governor and Senator from Missouri, and United States Attorney General John Ashcroft.

People might not like his politics, but can anyone point to any unusual religious behavior by Ashcroft in public office?

Steve Z on September 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Keith ?? AP does it all the time here too.

Really? Care to back that nasty little smear up with a cite?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM

I see your witchcraft protection prayer and raise you a GODDAMN AMERICA!

Alden Pyle on September 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Allah, you need to get out more. This stuff happens all the time.

Why are you lecturing me? I’m not the one who thought it was nutty.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

UPDATE:

And I take that anti-Palin graffiti and raise it with my Alaska tattoo I got in support of Palin.

PUMA!

lansing quaker on September 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Catholics such as myself believe (or are supposed to) that the Priest transubstantiates bread and wine before communion. That the Priest literally transforms bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus. – lansing quaker on September 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Actually, the priest has no power to accomplish this. God does. Nuance.

ManlyRash on September 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Exit question: What would the campaign have gained by commenting on the video?

More grief… it’s not as if many of the anti-Palin screeds have been rooted in rational thought…

elgeneralisimo on September 29, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Keith ?? AP does it all the time here too.

Really? Care to back that nasty little smear up with a cite?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Yeah… this post is yours.

Religious experts to left: Um, Palin’s “witchcraft” blessing isn’t that weird
posted at 9:50 pm on September 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Oh yeah.. impartial journalism and all that.
Say hello to your god Hitchens.
FU.

redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I hear the *truth squads* approacing . good bye !!

redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Oh yeah.. impartial journalism and all that.
Say hello to your god Hitchens.
FU.

Are you a total imbecile? I’m goofing on the left in my headline for thinking Palin’s blessing was weird. What exactly is your problem?

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I pray in tongues and know plenty of others who do too. So what’s the big deal. If God exists and the Bible is true Satan and his minions exist as well.

Yawn.

Mojave Mark on September 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM

“…and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”

Even some of the most worldly churches at least recite the Lord’s prayer once in a while. Sheesh, these liberal idiots are unbelievable.

AubieJon on September 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Exit answer: Not a damned thing, as you mentioned.

If they were seriously interested in rising-above-the-political-status-quo, and meant to really understand, all they had to do was open a Bible.

But what’s really gonna blow their minds is the Scriptural equation of rebellion to witchcraft. So they might wanna go ahead and drink the bong water before reading, just this once.

James OK on September 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Religious experts to left: Um, Palin’s “witchcraft” blessing isn’t that weird
posted at 9:50 pm on September 29, 2008 by Allahpundit
Oh yeah.. impartial journalism and all that.
Say hello to your god Hitchens.
FU.

redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

That’s your example? AP was backing up the position that it wasn’t that unusual of a custom. Did you read the post?

joewm315 on September 29, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Why are you lecturing me? I’m not the one who thought it was nutty.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Fair enough…I just ASSUMED you felt it was weird given your views on god. I should have read the entire post BEFORE commenting. It’s a novel idea, I know.

SouthernGent on September 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM

What exactly is your problem?

Bong water?

James OK on September 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Wait until they get the tape of her pastor speaking in tongues or dancing in the spirit. Good times.

Which, when Obama told us “we” as in the white person I guess, wouldn’t get the black church apparently has never been inside a Pentecostal church. Blacks love Pentecostal churches because they have a full band rocking to the spirit on any given Sunday. If you can play an instrument, you are part of the band. Drums, guitars, piano, organ, flutes, clarinets, trumpets. God loves ‘em all, at a Pentecostal church.

Sue on September 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Someone wasted a perfectly good butt when he put teeth in Keith Olbermann.

AubieJon on September 29, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Oh yeah.. impartial journalism and all that.
Say hello to your god Hitchens.
FU.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM

ur joxe r 2 suddle

RINO in Name Only on September 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM

A Pastor from a foreign country such as Africa deals with witchcraft on a daily basis. It’s not unusual at all for him to use this reference.

Corinthians 2:14
“But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

GoodBoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Looks like redrock is an example of how liberals do these “hit and run” who do not exactly have any sense of humor. Where he’s from anyway? Sedona, Arizona where all the spritual energy meet there?

Kokonut on September 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM

fogw on September 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Wouldn’t that be a shame.

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM

“Manipulation” is considered a form of witchcraft. To seek protection against a person or entity that would push, bully, intimidate or otherwise manipulate one’s judgment is a very valid concern… and a point of prayer every bit as worthy as praying for PJ O’Rourke as he battles cancer. I never hear the Left getting all addle-pated about such prayers.

Joan of Argghh on September 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Funny how it is that Sarah made no fuss about the “witchcraft blessing” deal.

She accepted it graciously.
This Christian conservative encountered an exotic belief from another part of the world with no judgement or prejudice.

silverfox on September 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Kokonut on September 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM

I’ve been here a while, not from Sedona, not a liberal.
I’ve been told I have a sense of humor, I guess not today.
I am from Missouri, where are you from Kokonut ?

redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM

“redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM”

dude, just apologize to a.p. and moveon …

Buckaroo on September 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Maybe he was praying for protection for her from the MSM maelstrom he foresaw descending upon her.

silverfox on September 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Wright ‘mainstream’? Keefums is no longer drinking the kool aid, he got a straw and is inhaling the powder directly.

GarandFan on September 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM

“redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM”

dude, just apologize to a.p. and moveon …

Buckaroo on September 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Good idea Buckaroo. No place is perfect, and this place is still tops. My sincere apologies AP. Not a good day, not your fault.

redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Are you having the same problem Blake is, wise_man, with someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read my posts? Give me a signal and I’ll call the police for you.

I’ve reached my limit with your snotty little asides. Either keep them to yourself or stay out of my threads. Or else I’ll twitch my nose three times and you’ll disappear.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

“redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM”

good call …

/thumbs up

Buckaroo on September 29, 2008 at 10:31 PM

ug, now wise man’s pushing the envelope too?

/shakes head

Buckaroo on September 29, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Considering they are the party with the members who most believe in channeling, astroprojection, past lives, crystals, chakras, wicca, and Buffy, not sure they have any grounds to object.

Blake on September 29, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Wethal on September 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Actually, the baptismal candidate is asked the question– the sponsors answer on his behalf. This follows, in the older order, the ‘minor exorcism’ which begins the rite with the admonition “Depart thou unclean spirit, make way for the Holy Spirit!”

I’ve used the 1526 rite of Martin Luther many times.

As to the issue of witchcraft, well, having endured the experience of having my church building broken into by a dozen … young women who spent several hours ceremoniously desecrating the altar, and the vessels reserved for the Lord’s Supper, I can affirm that witchcraft is unfortunately, very much in evidence in these United States in the twenty-first century.

I find it an apt time to discuss such matters, as this is the Feast of St. Michael and all Angels today!

A prayer that our Lord defend us (by means of the holy angels) against the wiles and wickedness of those motivated by the daemonic host (they being the fallen angels) is most certainly well within the historic teaching of the Christian Church.

Scribbler on September 29, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Wow. Talk about someone with no sense of humor.

Sheesh. You know we love you, man.

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Somebody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read his posts, too? How odd.

That’s right. We’re expected to take your snotty little asides about Palin and like it.

Blake on September 29, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Hey AP. How bout apologizing to me because you have a bug up your butt tonight. What’s the matter? Lost half your life savings on the market today or somethign?

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Religious experts to left: Um, Palin’s “witchcraft” blessing isn’t that weird

I think everyone’s had quite enough of your religion bashing.

Kidding!!! Just Kidding!!!! Get the finger off the ban button!

darwin on September 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Oh this priceless,everyones in a snit,how about this
angle,maybe somebody is concerned that somebody in
witch crtaft is trying to put the hex or spell on
Team McCain/Palin,and maybe the visiting doctor,whats
to visit Palin and avert that possibility?

canopfor on September 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Obama is a radical racist black segregationist and believes in Black liberation theology, he’s an extremist leftwing liberal that has terrorist friends that blew up government property and hurt US citizens, and his terrorist friends on 9/11 said they they wished they did more..

Obama is still friends with the unrepentant terrorist William Ayres and still defends him to this day.

Obama has even been in the unrepentant terrorists living room..

Do you hang out with terrorists?

Chakra Hammer on September 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM

oops,I hexed myself,thats craft,and not crtaft!
I

canopfor on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM

YOu put the lime in the coconut and you drink it all up

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Sing it wise_man .. everybody NOW

Brother bought a coconut
He bought it for a dime.
His sister had another
She paid it for the lime.

She put the lime in the coconut
she drank them both up.

she put the lime in the coconut
she called the doctor, woke him up, and said
“Doctor, ain’t there nothing I can take”
I said, “Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?”
I said, “Doctor ain’t there nothing I can take”
I said, “Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?”

Now let me get this straight;
You put the lime in the coconut
You drank them both up
You put the lime in the coconut,
You drank them both up
put the lime in the coconut,
you drank them both up
put the lime in the coconut,
called your doctor, woke him up, and said,

“Doctor, ain’t there nothing I can take”
I said, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?”
I said, Doctor, ain’t there nothin’ I can take”
I said, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?”

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink them both together,
put the lime in the cocount, then you’ll feel better.
Put the lime in the coconut, and drink them both up,
Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning.”

redrock on September 29, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Yes, yes it IS weird! It’s frikkin’ weird. I’m so weirded out by that weird incantation, and the weird video, and the weird moderator of this weird post, and all the weird weirdos inhabiting this place. WEIRD, WEIRD, WEIRD!!!

So weird.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Let’s see, in no particular order:
1) Stories like this just reinforce the stereotype that the left hate religion and have no idea what Christians do/believe.
2) Olberman is a total jerk. The fact that this no-talent is gainfully employed means that there is employment hope for everyone.
3) Allah is cool, a bit pessimistic, but cool. I don’t want/need a pollyanna, I want/need a realist who knows not only his party’s strengths, but their weaknesses, too.

Religious_Zealot on September 29, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Religious experts to left: Um, Palin’s “witchcraft” blessing isn’t that weird

This must be from those on the left that oppose Hillary. You know they are looking for their own anti-witchcraft blessings after that ugly primary.

Laura in Maryland on September 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Allahpundit on September 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

That would do many people much good, provided the gun didn’t disrupt their concentration.

Kralizec on September 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM

pull palin.

this gimmick has run it’s course.

Xolom on September 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Xolom on September 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Who let the trolls out?

Religious_Zealot on September 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Xolom also knows the party’s weaknesses, too. Just ask him.

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM

That graffiti is disgraceful — the left has no shame, they are a morally sick bunch.

Richard Romano on September 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM

AP, I’m sorry about all the people giving you a hard time because they can’t understand your post. It must be the declining standards of education nowadays.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM

I don’t think the fact that it’s a common belief makes it any less weird, nor does it reflect badly on Gov. Palin that she got caught in the middle of somebody else’s goofy prayer. The serious problem with that video remains the visiting pastor’s intolerance of non-Christians. Maybe that’s the sort of thing that led Palin to leave the church.

RightOFLeft on September 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Wethal on September 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I seem to recall this from my kids’ baptisms (and we belong to a Lutheran church). I also have attended several christenings for family members in the Methodist church (okay they are a little out there for me, which is why I left) and they use the same phrase.

Laura in Maryland on September 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Three things about this post are weird:
1) the left’s hatred of good religion
2) the pitiful, baseless attacks on AP
3) you being baffled by a good prayer

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Laura in Maryland on September 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Hmmm….

…Methodists shouldn’t be doing “Christenings”, only baptisms.

Someone’s not reading their Book of Discipline.

Religious_Zealot on September 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Lighten. Up.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Pentecostal witchcraft beliefs are irredeemably nutty and if McCain thought otherwise, I would consider simply not voting in the presidential race. I plan to vote for McCain not the psycho VP candidate. Let’s face it. The left is right about her.

thuja on September 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Someone’s not reading their Book of Discipline.

Religious_Zealot on September 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

THAT sounds like a best seller.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

“thuja on September 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM”

thx. for voting for John. now, piss off about smearing the veep …

Buckaroo on September 29, 2008 at 11:00 PM

A number of you desperately need to read some satire — Jonathan Swift for one, and some Oscar Wilde and Alexander Pope will help too. You often miss AP’s satire in his posts and then go on to post nutty comments.

Richard Romano on September 29, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Tell ya what, Lefties: I’ll start engaging in some serious criticism of my party’s tent being large enough to include people with traditional, if perhaps a bit odd, Christian beliefs and practices when you suddenly start taking issue with your core intellectuals’ convenient relabeling of Islamic fundamentalism as understandable “anti-imperialism.”

Hannibal Smith on September 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Religious_Zealot on September 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Methodist also shouldn’t be lecturing on the evils of war and other political crap. Like I said, I bailed and joined a nice church that keeps its nose out of politics.

Laura in Maryland on September 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Hey HA folks…remember why we are here.

Leave the A and P alone. He/she’s working on it.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM

thuja on September 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Pentecostal witchcraft beliefs are nutty based on observation.
Pentecostals are at the forefront of missionary work in the 10/40 window. The power they have from Jesus Christ defeats the power that has held many of these people captive for generations.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:04 PM

1GooDDaDDy on September 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Free speech? Does that also apply to this comment: “Either keep them to yourself or stay out of my threads. Or else I’ll twitch my nose three times and you’ll disappear.”

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM

the psycho VP candidate…
thuja on September 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

In witch way, per se?

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Lighten. Up.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM

You call our future vice president & the “host” of this thread “weird”, & then tell me to lighten up?

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM

So ironic to see this stretch to link Palin with witchcraft in Kenya when Obama’s grandfather, Hussein Onyango Obama, was actually a witch doctor from Kenya.

And just doing a quick search I see the entire Harry Potter collection has been the foundation of the Obama’s father-daughter relationship ever since the girls could understand the language.

The Missouri Truth Police will say that Obama raising his daughters on Harry Potter witch-crack falls under a “family heritage of witchcraft exception” for officially designated Christians under Missouri law.

econavenger on September 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Weird. Really, really weird. No offense, but, weird.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM

We have free speech as far as the gov’t is concerned.
If you think freedom of speech is universal, go cuss out your boss.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Laura in Maryland on September 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Unfortunately, my church has been invaded by a horde of near-Unitarian leftwingers who think it’s more important to preach about politics than about prevenient or sanctifying grace.

Let me note though, Laura, that most Methodist churches aren’t that way.

It’s just that the closer you get to Washington the more the churches seem to lean to the left.

Religious_Zealot on September 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

I cuss him out. He cusses back. I still have a job.

People should not fear their government. The government should fear the people.

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Whatever one believes,don’t walk,don’t run,but
Run like H#ll,if its Worshipping at the Alter
of Liberalism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!haha.

canopfor on September 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Weird. Really, really weird. No offense, but, weird.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM

No offense taken. I’ll be the first to admit that Christians are different, & if you’d rather use the word “weird”, I won’t get upset.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

So do you think freedom of speech is universal & limitless?

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:11 PM

DId I say it was?

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.

Exit answer: No.

Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

And Herr Ubermann as a point of reference or analysis is just, well, evil.

Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Christianity has many references, by Jesus, about the nature of supernatural good, and the struggle against supernatural evil.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

This struggle is common knowledge & acceptable by most mainstream denominations.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

If Palin were a wiccan priestess, I imagine she would be the darling of the loon toon wackjob leftists. But, to them, Christians are ‘not good’, so ‘kill the messenger’ (or someone like her).

But wrightphlegerayers are ok. And up is down; black – white, etc, etc.

There in lie the seeds to the next revolution….

locomotivebreath1901 on September 29, 2008 at 11:13 PM

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 11:12 PM

You complained about the lack of freedom of speech here, even though the rules were clearly spelled out when you signed up.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Religious_Zealot on September 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

My sympathies. I received our church newsletter today, and saw the first reference to religion in the six years I’ve attended. Our pastor just reminded everyone it is not nice to engage in rumor-mongering, and we should pray for who ever wins. It made my heart glad.

Laura in Maryland on September 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM

locomotivebreath’s post at 11:13 is a locomotive breath of fresh air.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM

AP,

Why is this story even taking up space on HA? I’m Catholic and we say prayers for defense against evil all the time. Evil is out there. Witchcraft is another form of heresy that’s all.

Sapwolf on September 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM

wiccan priestesses.

wise_man on September 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM

It appears the U.S.S. Hot Air has
cruised through the Bermuda Triangle
of the net!

Whew,I think were almost out,I hope!!!haha.

canopfor on September 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Good on ya. I’m just pulling on the chain, see who comes to the noise. And I like the word weird. It looks wrong to me, kind of…weird.

trailboss on September 29, 2008 at 11:16 PM

In my humble opinion, I think you & R_Z need to look for a different church.

jgapinoy on September 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM