McCain: “It’s time to fix the problem”

posted at 6:05 pm on September 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Nothing much of interest here, really, except an obligatory shot at Obama near the end. Now would have been the perfect time for Maverick to suspend his campaign to deal with the crisis. Too bad he played that card last week.

Meanwhile, Ace is apologizing to his readers for (a) listening to numerous experts who are telling him we’re in a gravely serious situation and (b) wanting to do something about it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

82% of Americans are saying NO to this bill. 82% of America understands that this bill will throw our Constitution under the bus; end game!
Keemo on September 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Rasmussen poll of Likely Voters on the Bailout Plan (9/29)

33% favor
32% oppose
35% not sure

That was before today’s vote and market crash. Which way are the numbers likely to move now?

Loxodonta on September 29, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Keemo on September 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Rasmussen poll of Likely Voters on the Bailout Plan (9/29)

33% favor
32% oppose
35% not sure

Loxodonta on September 29, 2008 at 10:14 PM

The oppose number may rise because many people are self-centered and not to bright. They would rather go to a sure butchering than run for freeedom. Which way you going Lox ?

JonRoss on September 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM

JonRoss on September 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Ye gads, got my positions reversed, those who FAVOR will rise because of their cowardice and desire to be dismembered bone and muscle by Pelosi. Thier personal interests are above the national interests. They favor Marxism over freedom. So how to vote Lox ?

JonRoss on September 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM

But again — if this whole things falls over into ruin and I get fired, how does this benefit me?

k2aggie07 on September 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Short term there is no benefit. Hopefully you have prepared yourself by living within your means and having a savings to hedge against this kind of disaster. I have limited my belongings so that I can dig ditches for a living and still meet my financial obligations. I have a food storage system that will, if I am frugal, get me through a year without seeking help from others. The amount of sacrifice I have endured in order to have that food storage has been immense. I went without a lot of stuff. Fast food, fancy cars, extravagant clothing, video games etc.

So I have willfully restricted my spending habits and I hope you can understand how going through that kind of sacrifice does not encourage me to give much of a rats ass to those who were eating fast food and playing video games while I was eating a can of beans and playing cards with my family.

csdeven on September 29, 2008 at 10:35 PM

csdeven:

So, when a soldier gets a zero down loan from VA he is a parasite? Is that what you think?

If they were going to punish people for getting zero down loans then they should not have offered them in the first place. These young people were told not to waste their money on rent, it was irresponsible to throw your money away on rent when you could make that payment and be a home owner.

I am sure some people took advantage, but most of them did not. Most of them believed what the professionals they were dealing with told them.

Treating them like dirt will not help anything. It will not save anything. It will not solve anything. There are banks failing, insurance companies failing, investment houses failing, this is way and beyond those people.

BTW, I did not get a free education. I did not get a free anything. Whatever I have, I have worked for and I don’t want to lose it.

Terrye on September 29, 2008 at 8:52 PM

VA loans are earned.

Predatory. An interesting word to use. Most people who are preyed upon are willing victims through character flaws. Greed, entitlement mentality, etc.

What you call treating someone like dirt is what I see as the underlying reason for this mess. People who couldn’t qualify for a loan were somehow being treated like dirt, so we’ll give them a loan they can’t afford. BRILLIANT!

We are treating them like adults. They signed the contract. the wording was there for them to see. If they failed to understand it they should not have signed it. I read my contracts and I didn’t sign anything that I wasn’t willing to take FULL responsibility for. Why they feel differently is the exact reason why they signed it to begin with.

csdeven on September 29, 2008 at 10:43 PM

The FBI should be directing its efforts on the top people rather than the bottom feeders.

c3ichief on September 29, 2008 at 10:45 PM

JonRoss on September 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM

My guess is that more Americans will favor a bailout, and it might be easier for Democrats to pass one with lots more liberal payouts in it.

I want the Republicans to get the best bill they can that lessens the immediate crisis, then work on preventing the next one. If this bill was the best we could get, given the Democrat majority, it should have been passed. If no bill is passed, then I am almost certain that more economic trouble is coming for millions of Americans.

I’ve lived through riots close up and other irrational mass behavior. I know how panic can take over people. So, I am worried about all the hatred and irrationality being continuously thrown about.

I was born after the Great Depression, but remember the enormous impact it had on my elders. I’ve lived through 5 recessions. The mid-70′s was the worst for me. I’m old, disabled, and live off my savings. The economic crisis, if it goes as badly as it might, is going to hurt others far more than me. Including many who argue against the bailout for ideological, partisan or selfish reasons. I hope I am wrong, but the economic and behavioral signs look very bad.

Loxodonta on September 29, 2008 at 10:47 PM

In a recent USA Today/Gallup poll, just 22 percent of the sample said they wanted Congress to “pass a plan similar to what the Bush Administration has proposed”, while just 28% said they wanted Congress to pass any bail out package.

As is usually the case, we all can select the poll which best represents our positions. I say “let the markets correct themselves, don’t cover the losers with phony paper.” A solution can be reached, but let the market correct itself first. In the mean while, investigate for the reasons/causes and educate the people so that this debacle doesn’t repeat itself down the road. Lessons can be learned from this if handled appropriately. Let the truth be told, let the truth be written.

Keemo on September 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM

How can you be sure he’d have the opportunity to play it now had he not played it last week?

ballz2wallz on September 30, 2008 at 9:10 AM

He’s definitely right about this.

chiefeditor on September 30, 2008 at 11:47 AM