Video: Newt gives a reluctant “yes” to bailout

posted at 3:32 pm on September 28, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Newt Gingrich appeared this morning on ABC’s This Week with George Stephanopolous, and gave a very reluctant endorsement of the bailout package as described in reports this morning:

STEPHANOPOULOS: “Speaker Gingrich, there’s also, I think, a recognition, at least in some of the polls I’ve seen, that something has to be done.”

SPEAKER NEWT GINGRICH: “Sure, look, something has to be done. … I suspect were I still in Congress, in the end George [Will] is right, and I probably would end up voting reluctantly yes, because I think when you’re given no choice …”

I’ll try to get more of Gingrich’s remarks. He makes a good point in the comments here that we’re buying years of bureaucracy for a short-term problem, but the problem will be a lot longer than just two weeks if government doesn’t act to support the prices on the mortgage-backed securities (MBS) that it insisted Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac issue on boatloads of bad loans. Without action, the collapse would probably take place in two weeks, leaving us years to pick up the pieces — and that would cost more than what’s being proposed.

Will Gingrich’s reluctant, watered-down endorsement make conservatives more willing to accept this solution?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I meant carpool to the REVOLUTION

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I think we need a “Million Pitchfork March”.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Brit Hume, Fox just named names and spelled out who was against four seperate attempts to regulate fannie and freddy, and wondered aloud why McCain did not even bring it up ?

dhunter on September 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Because they are his friends.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

You must be in Monmouth County, right?

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 6:46 PM

IrishEi on September 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

EXACTLY!

BallisticBob on September 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM

If you’re getting ready to do something…you’re “FIXING” to do it. If you say “yous guys” or something like that, you’re gonna get killed. It’s ya’ll. – HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Be assured, madam, that my diction is entirely free of “Joisey-isms,” as I spent the better part of my life training myself to that end.

As for the dialect of Texans I would not presume to insult their intelligence by affecting to doing so. Let us not forget John “where can I get me a huntin’ license” Kerry.

I suspect the Texans will appreciate a Yankee in their midst who is not uncomfortable with his own dialect.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Absolutely. They’ll love you. Texans are most hospitable.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM

OT: IrishEi, when’s the (Garden State Arts Center/PNC) Scottish Festival this year? I never miss it. Go Glasgow! oh, and L.B.I. rules. LOL!!
Sorry. //nervous laughter// I hate waiting…

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Yep. Belmar. Joisey Shore. Born and raised in New Yawk though. Work brings me up to New Brunswick frequently—closer to your neck of the woods. – IrishEi on September 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Very close, in fact. We should meet for lunch sometime and discuss all things seditious. This could be the start of the second American Revolution.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Brit Hume for president?

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

He laid it all out. Hope the pubs were taking notes and getting ready.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

McCain is military to the core. Have to believe he is simply keeping reserves to use at critical points in the war. Help them underestimate then drop the hammer, er stinger ,er both on ‘em. But, geeze, it’s tough to be patient.

Caststeel on September 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I smell a revolution in the making.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Belgian bank Fortis is bye bye… didn’t even wait until manana…

CC

CapedConservative on September 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I meant carpool to the REVOLUTION

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM
I think we need a “Million Pitchfork March”.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I’m there, HornetSting! AND I’ll bring the pitchforks. Local hardware store holding a 75% off going-out-of-business-sale. Unless the Repubs step up, by tomorrow the poor guy will be giving the stuff away.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Brit Hume rpsponded that Biden is the Gaffe master when Jaun says its OK because Biden is so knowledgable and Brit says no he gets a pass because he is a Dem not because he is knowledgwable or has been a senator for a zillion years.

Brit trying to carry Repub water a job they seem unwilling to do themselves maybe they can find an illegal immigrant to haul their water for them.

dhunter on September 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Since the clip is abruptly cut mid-sentence, it remains unclear whether there is even a reluctant endorsement of the exact “deal” from Newt (he doesn’t have a copy of it) but a hypothetical within the limited confines of a moment of dialogue.

maverick muse on September 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Absolutely. They’ll love you. Texans are most hospitable. -HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I have been to Texas several times on business. Stayed in San Antonio to attend a trade show and visited the Alamo one night.

I incurred the temporary wrath of a watchman when I dared to cross the ropes and place my hands on the bullet marked wall at the front entrance. I had to touch it…to touch history, to become part of it and what it represented and still represents. It moved me almost to tears for reasons I cannot intelligently explain.

When I told him why I did what I did, he understood and we shook hands.

And that is all I have to say about that.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I’m going to buy mine tomorrow. I am ready.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Somethings brewing. I can feel it.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Text of the bill is here: Bailout Plan.

Note: PDF file.

SteveMG on September 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Hearts are as BIG as the state.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM

I’m goign to put it on this thread too-

Where are the friggin’ Republicans today? I’m sick of Nancy and Co. trashing us and NO ONE responds. McCain has made one bad decision after another this past week, and he’s sliding into oblivion. Where is he? Why didn’t he go in and work on this damn bill this week-end? Gggggrrrrrrrr!

anniekc on September 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Schmidt did well against Axelrod this morning.

Graham must have been allergic to Kerry, as he couldn’t keep that eye open under the camera’s blinding lights this morning.

maverick muse on September 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM

no luck getting to the website where the bill is now posted per Witch Nancy.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 5:46 PM

KFI640 web site has it’s own copy up. Suspect there are other similar.

Caststeel on September 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Don’t put that douche at the podium.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Sec 124…..HOPE for Homeowners…how nice.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Well, here’s the bill. Let’s make some coffee, it’s going to be a long night.

Weight of Glory on September 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM

No ones going to dump Sarah shes’ the best thing that has happened to us but team McCain needs to turn her loose and quit micro managing her to death.
Her strength is her calm ability to reason and speak from the heart the talking points are killing her appeal.

Hopefull the repubs are getting ready to name names and take the dems to task foir playing politics with this for the last 5 days.

They need to get their asses out there though the networks are of course filling time with dem talking points and 0B0mber speeches.

dhunter on September 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

OT:

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM

They’ve discontinued all of the festivals! Bummer. The Irish Festival moved to the Sea Girt Armory and I went to that two weeks ago.

They still have the annual NYC Tartan Day Parade every May, but I miss my meat pies.

Go Glasgow Celtic!

IrishEi on September 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Are they going to make Chris Dodd and Barney Frank Co-chairs of the “oversight committee”?

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM

OT:
ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

IrishEi on September 28, 2008 at 7:13 PM

I smell a revolution in the making. – HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

A little revolution now and then is a good thing.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I’m about ready to levitate- I know my heads going to explode. Pelosi puts Dodd and Frank in charge of the hearings and no one is coming out to rebut that!

anniekc on September 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Sorry for the delay Manly…I usually don’t have a lot of notice when I go to NB. Work for the gummint. But I might be able to arrange to be in DC to meet up with you rebels! Must be incognito though—all things political are verboten for me. – IrishEi on September 28, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Anyone within driving distance of DC who wants in on this conspriracy? We can all meet there. For me it’ll be worth the 4 hour drive.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM

anniekc on September 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Head exploded about two hours ago. They HAVE TO lay a carpet of fire on the dems…they have to.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Ken Sweet
FOXBusiness

Two European financial institutions — Dutch-Belgian bank Fortis and U.K. mortgage lender Bradford & Bingley — had to be at least partially nationalized over the weekend, as the global credit crunch continued to take it toll.

Belgian Prime Minister Yves Leterme announced that Fortis will be partially nationalized to prevent it from falling victim to the credit crisis. That development, reached late Sunday, has the governments of Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg putting EUR11.2 billion (US$16.3 billion) into the bank. It also forces Fortis to sell its stake in Dutch bank ABN Amro.

Like many financial firms in the past few weeks, Fortis has suffered from a crisis of confidence among investors. Shares fell 28% in the past week. The bank replaced its chief executive on Friday and has tried to reassure investors that it isn’t suffering from liquidity issues.

A spokesperson for Fortis was not immediately available for comment.

Meanwhile, mortgage lender Bradford & Bingley is going to be fully nationalized by the U.K. government, according to various media reports Sunday. Reuters said the U.K. is discussing the sale of B&B’s book of business, citing a person familiar with the matter.

British Treasury Minister Yvette Cooper told the BBC that deposits at B&B would be guaranteed by the U.K. government, but stopped short of saying the bank would be nationalized.

The BBC reported that the savings business would be transferred to Spanish banking giant Santander (STD: 16.16, +0.37, +2.34%).

B&B, which provides loans to landlords to build rental properties, saw its stock price fall 28% in the past week alone.

JiangxiDad on September 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Watch MSNBC…it’ll light you up

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

dhunter on September 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Someone in another thread made the point that perhaps McCain didn’t want to risk scuttling the negotiations. Thinking about it a bit more, I would add that no doubt the press would also say McCain had abandoned his bipartisan credentials, helping to ruin the bail out.

aikidoka on September 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

What can anyone tell me about Karl Denninger? In this video about the bailout he says what I’ve been thinking (and many other conservatives are saying). I’m just unfamiliar with The Market Ticker website or Karl Denninger and would like to know what his background.

Stayright on September 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM

In other news, there’s a Presidential election, and we’re getting whipped.

Pessimistic tonight.

indythinker on September 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM

IrishEi on September 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

OT: my hubby just reminded me that we opted to go to Redbank to see the pipebands instead of PNC Center. Get your meatpies in Kearney. Or if you’d prefer, there’s an Irish store in the Smithville Village shops. Sells meatpies, shortbread, and my must-have PG Tips tea.
Go (GLASGOW) CELTICS! My Glasgow-grandfather played professionally. I inherited his kick (and his huge hamstrings, yuk). They could come in handy when we kick a$$ in D.C.!

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

This is strange. From the text:

(9) TROUBLED ASSETS.—The term ‘‘troubled
assets’’ means—
(A) residential or commercial mortgages
and any securities, obligations, or other instruments that are based on or related to such
mortgages, that in each case was originated or
issued on or before March 14, 2008, the purchase of which the Secretary determines promotes financial market stability; and

Why exclude the last six months? Any ideas?

Weight of Glory on September 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

We’re ALL waiting underground.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

What is going on with McCain? Where is he today? Is there something afoot with dumping Sarah Palin? Again- not saying I’m in favor, just asking. – anniekc on September 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM

My wife – who has the political instincts of Abigail Adams – is certain that McCain is getting ready to lock and load. She believes he is being silent so as to give the Dems plenty of rope and that he will, in her words, “yank it tight and strangle them” very soon. She reminded me that in his speech at the RNC convenion he promised to “name names” if push came to shove.

Perhaps this is the ultimate head fake. Remember what he did in the months leading up to his selection of Sarah Palin? We were despairing that it would be Lieberman. The CW figured on Pawlenty or Romney.

For my part, I will wait and see.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Ok. Perhaps Mac is building his case to beat the everlovin’ shit out of Obampo at the next debate? Possible? Because his ad guys have been fantastic and you would have to think that with all the ammunition, they MUST be building some crushing ads against Super Messiah.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Everybody take a chill pill. As we all type furiously, the McCain video squad is taking the film. Tomorrow or shortly thereafter we will be seeing side by side comparisons of these Dems now and then. All their sins bought to light.

In the next debate McCain will be calling out Obama face to face on his earmarks, dirty donations from all the bankrupt banks etc, his Chicago connections, his work with Acorn and on and on.

McCain’s team wants to win–never forget that. He started slow months ago but with the appropriate criticism they run a pretty tight ship now.

The next key date is the VP debate. Sarah must do well. People will see her unedited, not the splice and dice we got from ABC and CBS.

patrick neid on September 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM

All this running back and forth from the bunker is hard on my knees, can someone please tell me: Am I supposed to be preparing for armageddon or not? – Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Yes. And no.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

We seemed to be on the same target…at least your wife and I. If it weren’t for that nasty rash, I would put my arm around you and we could kill a bottle of scotch before attacking the senate building.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I hope your wife is right, Manly. We need a fighter.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

You’re a funny guy, manly, that’s why I’m going to kill you last.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM

You’re a funny guy, manly, that’s why I’m going to kill you last.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Don’t come out of bunker yet, Manly.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM

I

f you’re getting ready to do something…you’re “FIXING” to do it.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM

HornetSting, sweetie pie, the “g” is silent= fixin’ with a long “n”. It really sound like “fixsin”. “Yous guys” is a real tip, but pulling all the pine straw out of your flower beds, and replacing it with rocks is another. At least it is here in Mississippi.

We have the Castle Doctrine down here so you can shoot anyone on your property/home, or in your car, or attacking your car or your person. Bonus, you do not have to drag the body in to make it official either! Just had a Indian man shoot and kill a robber, and so it has throughly been tested and affirmed.

Before you guys declare war, can you wait until I apply and receive my permit to carry license? I just want to be legal when I kill the Commie SOBs. Thank ya!

freeus on September 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Stayright on September 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM

I like to read Nouriel Roubini for a different take. He’s a very very pessimistic type usually, but he says what he thinks, and has very sound credentials as a Professor of Economics at NYU Stern Business School.

Here’s a segment from his comments today:

So this rescue plan is a huge and massive bailout of the shareholders and the unsecured creditors of the financial firms (not just banks but also other non bank financial institutions); with $700 billion of taxpayer money the pockets of reckless bankers and investors have been made fatter under the fake argument that bailing out Wall Street was necessary to rescue Main Street from a severe recession. Instead, the restoration of the financial health of distressed financial firms could have been achieved with a cheaper and better use of public money.

Indeed, the plan also does not address the need to recapitalize those financial institutions that are badly undercapitalized: this could have been achieved by using some of the $700 billion to inject public funds in ways other and more effective than a purchase of toxic assets: via public injections of preferred shares into these firms; via required matching injections of Tier 1 capital by current shareholders to make sure that such shareholders take first tier loss in the presence of public recapitalization; via suspension of dividends payments; via a conversion of some of the unsecured debt into equity (a debt for equity swap). All these actions would have implied a much lower fiscal costs for the government as they would have forced the shareholders and creditors of the banks to contribute to the recapitalization of the banks

JiangxiDad on September 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM

I’ve been going nuts all day. Putting Pelosi and Dodd in charge of the hearings is like putting Osama Bin Laden in charge of the 9-11 Commission. This is absolutely ludicrous.

HondaV65 on September 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM

freeus on September 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Sweetie, don’t tell me about Texas. I lived there for 26 years.

Enjoy your mud, Mississippi.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM
Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM

With friends like this, who needs enemas enemies?

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Manly, don’t listen to Mississippi. Born and raised in Texas….don’t forget your boots…lots of snakes…like Washington, D.C.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM

They should be behind bars!

TheBigOldDog on September 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Ahhhh, Texas. I’m still on the five year plan to get there though in the last few days I’ve been scheming to bump that up by about…well….five years.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM
They should be behind bars!

TheBigOldDog on September 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Uh, yeah. But Blinky Pelosi is “praising” their help on this bill….I figured she would just complete the journey to hell and keep them in charge.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM

I hope they are not just arm twisting back there.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:38 PM

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Wouldn’t snakeskin boots be presumptuous? And do I even have to wear cowboy boots?

I’m a penny loafer kind of Yankee. That and Dockers and a button-down Oxford cotton shirt is about all I ever wear. I’d feel like a phony if I “gussied up” in jeans and a fancy cowboy shirt and snakeskin boots…like some sort of dude ranch city-slicker.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:38 PM

With friends like this, who needs enemas enemies?
ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Brother, you are getting both an enema and an enemy with this new scheme concocted by the D.C. Royalty. They don’t like us anymore, that much is clear.

What I wouldn’t give to find a ship somewhere with crates of tea in it that I could dump overboard.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Enjoy:

<blockquote>WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama said Sunday his Republican rival deserves no credit for helping to forge a tentative agreement on the $700 billion bailout of Wall Street.

Instead, Obama said he deserves credit for making sure the proposal includes safeguards for taxpayers. Obama said he is inclined to support the bailout because it includes increased oversight, relief for homeowners facing foreclosure and limits on executive compensation for chief executives of firms that receive government help.

“None of those were in the president’s provisions. They are identical to the things I called for the day that (Treasury) Secretary (Henry) Paulson released his package,” Obama said. “That I think is an indication of the degree to which when it comes to protecting taxpayers, I was pushing very hard and involved in shaping those provisions.”

JiangxiDad on September 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Blinky Pelosi – HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM

I prefer to call her Bela Pelosi. Like the famous Hungarian actor, she is perfect for the role of a blood sucking beast of the night.

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Lovin it, thanks! Especially today for the J E T S, Jets, Jets, Jets! That Mississippi mud is great!

freeus on September 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:38 PM

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM

freeus on September 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Now, I want ice cream cake…Mississippi Mud Cake…Hurry pubs…I need a fix.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM

JiangxiDad on September 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.

He may very well be setting himself up for the biggest, most humiliating fall of his political career.

If I am right I will be the first to say “Schmidt, you magnificent bastard!”

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM

AMMO – buy lots and lots of Ammo.

bill30097 on September 28, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Cowboy boots in Texas are not just for “gussying up”. They have a purpose. 9 out of 10 rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and water moccasins agree. – HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Point taken. Do they have any in plain leather?

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Check out MSNBC>……

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Point taken. Do they have any in plain leather?

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Yes, Justin Boots.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM

McCain’s team wants to win–never forget that…

patrick neid on September 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM

THAT’S MY PRAYER. VERBATIM.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Oh Lord – more Democrats bloviating at a press conference. Time for me to change the channel. Where is the GOP?

Philly on September 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Rahm Emanuel, MSNBC lying threw his teeth. Seems nervous. Maybe he heard what patrick neid’s post above) said.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Will our brave new world be more like Soylent Green, Mad Max or Logan’s Run?

Vote your preference.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Check out MSNBC>……
HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM

No, I won’t give them bragging rights that they managed to get a fifth viewer.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:49 PM

At least the Chargers won. One more win before complete and utter despair sets in.

anniekc on September 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

ADDITIONAL CONTRACTING REQUIREMENTS.—In
9 any solicitation or contract where the Secretary has, pur10
suant to subsection (a), waived any provision of the Fed11
eral Acquisition Regulation pertaining to minority con12
tracting, the Secretary shall develop and implement stand13
ards and procedures to ensure, to the maximum extent
14 practicable, the inclusion and utilization of minorities (as
15 such term is defined in section 1204(c) of the Financial
16 Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of
17 1989 (12 U.S.C. 1811 note)) and women, and minority18
and women-owned businesses (as such terms are defined
19 in section 21A(r)(4) of the Federal Home Loan Bank Act
20 (12 U.S.C. 1441a(r)(4)), in that solicitation or contract,
21 including contracts to asset managers, servicers, property
22 managers, and other service providers or expert consult
ants

TheBigOldDog on September 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Check out MSNBC>……
HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM

No, I won’t give them bragging rights that they managed to get a fifth viewer.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:49 PM

LMAO.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Wait a minute….now the senate vote has been delayed until Wednesday. I know I know, it’s supposed to be procedural delays, but could it be something else?

BTW, the mighty Steelers play on MNF, the world will survive at least until the game is over.

Bishop on September 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Bush to make statement…he should do it primetime and take dems to the woodshed.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM

ManlyRash on September 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Manly: My money says he is waiting until “the deal is signed” to hit it again.

Remember how freaked the Obama campaign got when they got the minor wrist slap of the “Paris” ad? They had gone months with virtually no swipes at them. They were feeling invincible. How long did it take McCain to catch and pass him? Consider all the absolute red meat that is on the table… videos of hearings where Dems blocked regulation… all the Obama statements saying “As I’ve always said” when his position last week was the opposite.

They have saved a lot of money over the past week not campaigning. I’m with you, I suspect they are biding their time and (hopefully), late this week, the bombs will start going off and will continue for 38 or so days…

Something interesting. Obama was campaigning in Detroit today. Detroit? Why in hell does he need to go to Detroit? That town should be packed, wrapped and in the bag.

CC

CapedConservative on September 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM

HornetSting, tell you husband sorry about the game but at least my guys won on my birthday. Go Skins!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM

It may be because of the Jewish Holiday…or something else. The suspense is killing me.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Not only is all this stuff going down, was almost in tears when I talked to my dad tonight, veteran of WW2, Korea and Vietnam about all this…

But the Gators lost yesterday :(

CinnamongirlUF on September 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM

He’s out smoking a cigar…better to let sleeping dogs lie.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Oh Christ. They’ve been saying that the Repub’s were coming to the podium for three hours- I had to sit through John Kerry for the 2nd time today!

I’m really beginning to see FOX’s focus- I think they feel it will be an Obama administration and they’re building up their Dem credentials to insure they’ll have access next Jan. Pisses me off. If I see Bill “the wonky dork Burton” one more time, I’m going to scream.

Where is McCain??!!

anniekc on September 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Where is McCain??!!

anniekc on September 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Better yet, Bob Beckel. He sounds like Darth Vader. He is always good for a laugh, though.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I want some butts……..

Seven Percent Solution on September 28, 2008 at 7:58 PM

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM

He can’t do that until the bill passes. And he wouldn’t anyway. I notice the Rohm Emanuel keeps referring to it as President Bush’s plan.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Tanya Acker…..she drinks the kool-aid.

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

MSNBC was just about starting to talk about the Asian markets when the channel changed. Are they holding steady? Can’t watch tv; Hubby thinks NHRA Drag Racing is more important now than ever. WANT. TO. KILL. HIM.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Asian markets all down…

CapedConservative on September 28, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Dem talking points.

OH HELL NO! They better get out here quick. I can’t take THIS!

HornetSting on September 28, 2008 at 8:00 PM