Open thread: Palin and Couric on foreign policy

posted at 6:15 pm on September 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

6:30 ET on CBS. After watching the trailer, I think I’m going to pass on the main feature.

This report from NBC is charming, though. Exit quotation: “They will take the phrase ‘under God’ away from me when my cold, dead lips can no longer utter those words.”

Update: “I can’t link to them; they’re too painful.”

Watch CBS Videos Online

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

broker1 on September 25, 2008 at 8:36 PM

That was good. It’s Sarah’s straight talk.

She just needs to find her sea legs. Going straight into a national campaign is like getting hired mid-season on a crab boat in “America’s Deadliest Catch.” Only instead of sympathetic comrades working the boom, it’s Charlie Gibson/ABC, Katie Couric/CBS, and the merry gang at the Old Gray Lady.

silverfox on September 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM

There are no words to describe this level of stupidity.

COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families who are struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? Allow them to spend more, and put more money into the economy, instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: That’s why I say I, like every American I’m speaking with, we’re ill about this position that we have been put in. Where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh, it’s got to be about job creation, too. Shoring up our economy, and putting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade — we have got to see trade as opportunity, not as, uh, competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs created in the trade sector today. We’ve got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation.

JHC on September 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM

There are no words to describe this level of stupidity.

You obviously haven’t seen Obama without his Prompter. “No words,” indeed.

fiatboomer on September 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM

broker1 on September 25, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Excellent. Thanks dude.

fiatboomer on September 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM

broker1 on September 25, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Excellent. Thanks dude.

fiatboomer on September 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM

No problem, there are 3 others where she speaks on CSPAN.

broker1 on September 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Sarah is finding her national voice. That’s why she’s in the VICE president’s slot. She’s a reformer and that scares the crap out of the Dhimmicrats.

Mojave Mark on September 25, 2008 at 9:26 PM

There was a lot to like about this interview.

First I thought her response right off the bat to Katie Couric’s question, it seems you don’t care about the world because you don’t have a passport. Sarah’s response is very real and a lot of people will relate:

“I’m not one of those who maybe came from a background of, you know, kids who perhaps graduate college and their parents give them a passport and give them a backpack and say go off and travel the world.

No, I’ve worked all my life. In fact, I usually had two jobs all my life until I had kids. I was not a part of, I guess, that culture. The way that I have understood the world is through education, through books, through mediums that have provided me a lot of perspective on the world.”

sheryl on September 25, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Katie’s schoolgirl ploy fell short….period.

grtflmark on September 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Yeah her Russia answer wasn’t stellar but I think she lets the condescension of reporters get the best of her. And you see it when she struggles to find the words and then just says…..reporters!!

I think she is worried of saying something that they will take a cheap shot at again. In the final analysis, she just needs to know that she could be Einstein talking about the theory of relativity, if Albert was John McCain’s VP they would make a cheap shots at him too.

sheryl on September 25, 2008 at 9:45 PM

And her response regarding second guessing Israel was brilliant! She completely distilled why we shouldn’t second guess Israel in a eminent threat situation because um Katie they are the good guys:

Couric: But you said never second guess them.

Palin: We don’t have to second-guess what their efforts would be if they believe … that it is in their country and their allies, including us, all of our best interests to fight against a regime, especially Iran, who would seek to wipe them off the face of the earth. It is obvious to me who the good guys are in this one and who the bad guys are. The bad guys are the ones who say Israel is a stinking corpse and should be wiped off the face of the earth.

That’s not a good guy who is saying that. Now, one who would seek to protect the good guys in this, the leaders of Israel and her friends, her allies, including the United States, in my world, those are the good guys.

sheryl on September 25, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Sapwolf on September 25, 2008 at 7:42 PM

capitalist piglet on September 25, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Two ways to respond:

#1: “God Damn Witchcraft!”

I heard an audible howl coming from DU when you typed that.

capitalist piglet on September 25, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Whoa, wrong thread. Sorry.

capitalist piglet on September 25, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Yeah her Russia answer wasn’t stellar but I think she lets the condescension of reporters get the best of her. sheryl on September 25, 2008 at 9:45 PM

As I posted earlier, she needs to fix firmly in her mind that she is talking to the American people. She loves them–they love her. Screw these jive reporters. Every time she gives an answer that relates to the average American, it’s like you hear little bell–ding–another 50 indies fell into the McCain Palin basket.

smellthecoffee on September 25, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Palin sounds like a high school student trying to BS her way through these interviews.

Woefully unqualified.

philnewkirk on September 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Woefully unqualified.

philnewkirk on September 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Just like Obama when he debated Hillary.

He “beat” Hillary.

McCain-Palin will rout Obama. Unless you’re willing to concede that the smarter, more conscice, more equipped candidate — Hillary — actually won the nomination?

Uh. freakin’. huh.

You Obama supporters are delusional. Even though a lot of you HotAir conservatives may despise you, you have to admit that Hillary walked circles around Obama, and now the Obamacans are using the same lines against Palin they so decried when used against their “One.”

lansing quaker on September 26, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Hey, don’t attack the messenger just because Palin is unqualified.

philnewkirk on September 26, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Since you believe Palin is more qualified for the presidency than Obama is, why isn’t McCain sending her to debate him?

philnewkirk on September 26, 2008 at 1:37 AM

She didn’t make a ‘gaffe’.

No one votes for the bottom of the ticket. As long as she stays out of trouble and keeps the base voting, she’s done her job.

You guys need to get a little perspective, I think.

cyclosarin on September 26, 2008 at 3:13 AM

philnewkirk on September 26, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Are you an idiot? Have you forgotten that Obama is running for the number one spot while Palin is running as McCain’s understudy? Your question seems to suggest that you intuitively believe that Obama shouldn’t be running for the number one spot.

And I would agree. Obama has no business running for president. He should be running as Hillary Clinton’s understudy. But the Democrats screwed up (no surprise here). And now the outcome in November is uncertain. This should be the year when the Democrats trounce the Republicans by twenty points, but you guys come out and nominate this fraud called Obama!

You’re an idiot.

MedSchoolCatholic on September 26, 2008 at 4:48 AM

You guys need to get a little perspective, I think.

cyclosarin on September 26, 2008 at 3:13 AM

No I think the Paliniacs need the perspective.

Bradky on September 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM

Neocon Peg on September 26, 2008 at 8:03 AM

“IMHO, I think Sarah made herself look bad on purpose to set up low expectations for the debate. She is much smarter than how she appeared on Couric’s show. She’ll blow Biden out of the water in the debate. Why else go on Couric’s show (with its dismal ratings) which probably no one will watch? This may be a brilliant set-up.

Neocon Peg”

You are delusional.

Roger Waters on September 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM

You’re an idiot.

MedSchoolCatholic on September 26, 2008 at 4:48 AM

That’s not very nice.

philnewkirk on September 26, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I shouldn’t have called you an idiot. You are not. Not necessarily, at least. I was wrong.

MedSchoolCatholic on September 26, 2008 at 8:27 PM