Ho hum: Obama’s lawyer threatens TV stations that run NRA ad

posted at 5:56 pm on September 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

I’m surprised. Usually in cases like this, Obama has his cult followers inundate the offending station with irate, semi-coherent phone calls, like they did recently to try to knock hatemongering smear merchant David Freddoso off the air for the crime of committing journalism critical of The One. For whatever reason they’ve decided that won’t work here, so they’re opting for Plan B. Straight out of the Democratic handbook Harry Reid used to threaten ABC’s broadcast license for showing the “Path to 9/11,” here’s Obama lawyer Robert Bauer warning station managers not to air the NRA’s new anti-Obama “Hunter” ad if they want to stay in the FCC’s good graces. Follow the link and read his letter and the NRA’s rebuttal for point/counterpoint. Is the NRA attributing gun policy positions to Obama which he no longer holds? Hard to say. Is there such a thing as a consistent Obama gun position? He flip-flopped opportunistically on the D.C. gun ban and was caught lying a few months ago about whether he’d ever seen that 1996 questionnaire in which his campaign claimed he supported a total ban on guns. Read Dave Kopel’s painstaking response to FactCheck’s piece on the NRA ads for more cases of obfuscation, noting particularly Obama’s habit of speaking of gun regulations not in terms of what he does or doesn’t support but what is and isn’t “politically practicable” at a given moment. No wonder Guy Benson’s worried about him bringing back the Fairness Doctrine. What happens when a deep blue Congress make that “politically practicable” too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So the answer to the headline “will obama flop on the fairness doctrine” is a solid “YES” isn’t it?

lorien1973 on September 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM

This must be divine intervention. Biden demonizes coal and now he picks a fight with the NRA. How can Pennsylvania vote for this man?

D0WNT0WN on September 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Obama lawyers threaten McCain if they continue to run against The One in 3..2..1

ronsfi on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Thugs. Ooops, I mean ThO!gs.

Y-not on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Obama is making a huge mistake if he is taking up the NRA.

jencab on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Out of my cold dead hands. Try me. I mean it. I already have a Stasi notch and I have room for some goon trying to take my guns. Bring it on

bill30097 on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

How can Pennsylvania vote for this man?

D0WNT0WN on September 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Well they haven’t burnt down a bible store. Yet.

lorien1973 on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Hitler would have loved this guy.

SuperCool on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

“Let me be clear, I have never been opposed to gun ownership. Except when I said I was at the time, when I meant to say, I wasn’t.” – Barack Obama

Or something like that…

JAM on September 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Some 527 or the NRA needs to start running ads about Obama’s attempts to suppress dissent.

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM

“For whatever reason they’ve decided that won’t work here, so they’re opting for Plan B.”

Plan A, the Freddoso treatment, is counterproductive, a) because it exposes the censorous callers logic to the light of day, and b) it causes controversy which brings attention and if lucky for the radio stations, then advertising.

Plan B, buries the story altogether and threatens the station owners with having to spend money on legal advice.

Dusty on September 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Is it just me, or is Obama like the embodiment of everything the left says they hate about Bush?

-Can’t admit a mistake
-Tries to stifle dissent
-Hates free speech
-Sounds like a moron when speaking off script

BadgerHawk on September 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

How can the people who allegedly defend free speech tolerate this crap?

Oh, right.

“Free speech for me, but not for thee.”

The Monster on September 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

I really wish ABC would have put this to DVD. I would have bought it as well as many others I know. It was very good.

As for Obama and his stupid lawyers. You can’t sue your way out of everything, but you sure are trying and wasting tax payer money!

upinak on September 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

How can Pennsylvania vote for this man?

D0WNT0WN on September 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM

A lot of Pennsylvanians (and Virginians, and Ohioans, etc.) will never hear about Obama’s true positions on the issues they care about because (1) Obama lies through his teeth; and (2) the propaganda arm of Obama’s campaign — more commonly known as the mainstream media — hide the truth about his record.

AZCoyote on September 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Not a surprise. Obama tried to sic the DoJ on the American Issues Project for the Obama/Ayers ad.

Silencing opposition. It’s the Chicago way.

powerpro on September 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

I joined the NRA for life….one of the best things I ever did.

There are few organizations in this country as patriotic and effective at fighting these liberal jerks as the NRA.

Go NRA….kick their asses on this.

wildweasel on September 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

jencab on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Yeah, they are extremely well organized.

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I am spitting mad about this. Obama is running at least 5 different ads in Philadelphia that blatantly lie about John McCain and his record. One of them totally misrepresents what happened with the closing of a Corning plant and somehow blames John McCain for it. Corning has asked Obama to take it down but it’s still running. He’s running a radio ad that says McCain opposes stem cell research! Arlen Specter had to call him out on that one, but the ad is still running.

rockmom on September 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

This guy is a pure Fascist.

JellyToast on September 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

BadgerHawk on September 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Yep.

lorien1973 on September 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Stupid move by Obama, poking a bear like that. The NRA will fight back.

dugan on September 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I really hope the NRA cuts a new ad about this. Pennsylvania voters will not like Obama’s brownshirt tactics. “Keep your Chicago thug politics out of Pennsylvania!”

rockmom on September 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Well they haven’t burnt down a bible store. Yet.

lorien1973 on September 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Good point. He’s a devout Christian. As evidenced by his attendance in the church of Jeremiah Wright. It’s so obvious how much he despises all the “bitter clingers” out there. Is Ed Rendell actually going to be able to convince them otherwise?

D0WNT0WN on September 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Hey BO, the 1stA goes hand in hand w/the 2nd. Deal with it you Marxist idiot.

Benjamin9 on September 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I see a McCain ad …

Obama: doesn’t care for the 2nd Amendment, or the 1st.

darwin on September 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Obama’s top ten responses to any situation if he becomes President:

10. Why can’t we all just get along?
9. How ’bout I come over to your place and we can talk further? No strings attached.
8. That’s not the {dictator name} I though I knew
7. You’re only threatening the US because I’ve got a funny name, don’t look like other Presidents and I am black
6. I’ll be at the White House multitasking. Call me if you need me.
5. Well… ummm… my staff has an… errrr… hair trigger.
4. What I’ve always said…
3. Question my judgment/ patriotism and I’ll sue you
2. Present!
1. uuuuuhhhhh… ummmmmm… errr… uhhh… it’s all because of Bush/ McCain policies.

Damiano on September 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Let’s enact a ban on Osama Obama instead!

MrScribbler on September 25, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Obama’s top ten responses to any situation if he becomes President:

10. Why can’t we all just get along?
8. That’s not the {dictator name} I though I knew
6. I’ll be at the White House multitasking. Call me if you need me.
5. Well… ummm… my staff has an… errrr… hair trigger.
4. What I’ve always said…
3. Question my judgment/ patriotism and I’ll sue you
2. Present!
1. uuuuuhhhhh… ummmmmm… errr… uhhh… it’s all because of Bush/ McCain policies.

Damiano on September 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM

I want that on a shirt.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on September 25, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Lawyerly intimidation tactics are part of the politics of change too? Oh boy!

Scrappy on September 25, 2008 at 6:13 PM

So what excuse will Obama use to try to censor McCain’s ad about Biden’s “clean coal” ban?

Wethal on September 25, 2008 at 6:13 PM

OMG….I hope they try it.

Old Hippie Vet on September 25, 2008 at 6:13 PM

This guy is a pure Fascist.

JellyToast on September 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

yep

funky chicken on September 25, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Damiano on September 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM

11. Can’t I just finish my waffle?

Wethal on September 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Hopefully Obama can enlist his good buddy father Pfleger and send him down to the evil NRA headquarters and where he can raise hell with his crowd of angry followers with chants of “Let’s snuff out these evil NRA people who criticize Barack Obama.”

Just like Pfleger did to gun shop owner John Riggio.

wise_man on September 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Obama: .22LR derringer
NRA: .500 S&W Magnum

Note that he isn’t threatening to sue the NRA for libel; he knows he’d get his butt kicked.

Hollowpoint on September 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM

I hear a purchase of 1000 30.06 rounds calling my name.

Benjamin9 on September 25, 2008 at 6:18 PM

BAAHRRRING IT!

SouthernGent on September 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Obama’s lawyer threatens TV stations that run NRA ad

Which means that the ads will have the desired effect in the battleground states. I suspect that Bambi’s people have access to polling data that are scaring the crap out of them.

ManlyRash on September 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM

1) Find out which stations are being targetted.
2) Send calls and letters of support for the first amendment and free speech.
3) Offer up the potential of a defense fund against Obama.

That’s what needs to be done.

Sakaki on September 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I think the NRA needs to make a new ad with the letters from Obama’s lawyers.

Queen0fCups on September 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Lawyers will be very busy, after Nov. 04.

So will psychologists/psychiatrists.

Entelechy on September 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Reading the NRA rebuttal is hilarious. Kennedy tried to argue that a .30-30 is powerful enough to penetrate armored vehicles and 600 pound safes.

Most hunters won’t take a shot at a deer with a .30-30 much further than 150 yards because it’s a relatively weak cartridge.

Hollowpoint on September 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Obama will only control the FCC if he is elected President.

In the meantime, the bitter gun-clingers can run their ads.

Give this guy a raincoat in Day-Glo orange!

Steve Z on September 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Stupid move by Obama, poking a bear like that. The NRA will fight back. – dugan on September 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Amen to that, especially because Arctic Fox is a lifetime member. So am I. And now I’m pissed and the NRA will be getting $$$ and a letter from me asking them to produce and air even MORE ads.

I suggest that fellow HotAirHeads who are so inclined do likewise.

ManlyRash on September 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Or maybe a new 527 can be formed, or perhaps an astroturfing group – how about Concerned Citizens for Free Speech – and make a little ad with this collection of “community organizing techniques” – the ads practically write themselves.

Queen0fCups on September 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM

He’s running a radio ad that says McCain opposes stem cell research!

They leave out the word “embryonic” in that ad, if it’s the one they’re running here in KC. It’s an out-and-out lie. But what else is new.

The Monster on September 25, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Lawyers will be very busy, after Nov. 04. So will psychologists/psychiatrists. – Entelechy on September 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Don’t forget the suicide hotline. Heh…heh….heh.

ManlyRash on September 25, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Good add!

mindhacker on September 25, 2008 at 6:26 PM

This itself is the makings for a perfect NRA ad.

Amadeus on September 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Time for another Liberal Fascism plug.

Who do you think would join Andrew Sullivan on Obama’s FCC?

Terrie on September 25, 2008 at 6:30 PM

11. Can’t I just finish my waffle?

Wethal on September 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM

12. “God damn America! Who the f**k is calling here at 3AM?”

Damiano on September 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM

I think the NRA needs to make a new ad with the letters from Obama’s lawyers.

Queen0fCups on September 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM

The NRA need you in their think tank, that’s exactly what they should do, and run that ad first.

Maxx on September 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Obama’s top ten responses to any situation if he becomes President:

10. Why can’t we all just get along?
8. That’s not the {dictator name} I though I knew
6. I’ll be at the White House multitasking. Call me if you need me.
5. Well… ummm… my staff has an… errrr… hair trigger.
4. What I’ve always said…
3. Question my judgment/ patriotism and I’ll sue you
2. Present!
1. uuuuuhhhhh… ummmmmm… errr… uhhh… it’s all because of Bush/ McCain policies.

11. I’ll uh uh get back to you later Sweetie…

rigdown on September 25, 2008 at 6:33 PM

This is shocking.
Both the intent and the strategy. Are they planning on filing a public complaint with the FCC against a local station for playing a political ad?

Really. Really?

I guess as long as everyone keeps talking about how smart you are, you can act as dumb as you want.

That will play well in Peoria.

Dorvillian on September 25, 2008 at 6:33 PM

His stance on gun control is not really duplicitous. Remember that the House and Senate regularly exempt themselves from many of the laws that they enact.

Tommy_G on September 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Obama’s Lawyers vs. NRA Lawyers. Hmmm. I like our odds.

I dare NYT and CNN to front-page this.

innominatus on September 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM

What happens when a deep blue Congress make that “politically practicable” too?

I have an idea, since we’re in the midst of a recession/depression let’s kneecap an industry by making them produce a product that nobody wants.

Anybody know how much money Bambi has collected from Clear Channel, etc.?

rockhead on September 25, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Like i said last week. This is like 1937 Germany.

thmcbb on September 25, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Obama is on live with Brit Hume right now. His glazed, shuttered eyes are back. Those are not healthy eyes.

Terrie on September 25, 2008 at 6:40 PM

The O! campaign has become a parody of itself. When you have to engage the lawyers to stop opposition ads, you know you are in deep kimshi.

JimK on September 25, 2008 at 6:40 PM

This itself is the makings for a perfect NRA ad.
Amadeus on September 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM

The NRA should make this(what Obama is doing to silence them) their fifth ad in the series.

wise_man on September 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Terrie on September 25, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Ganga will do that to you.

rockhead on September 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM

What is wrong with the ad…Looks pretty tame

tomas on September 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Hey, I fully expect a team of lawyers ready to file suit against me when I walk out of the booth demanding to know how I voted as their right as part of the disclosure process.

CC

CapedConservative on September 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM

The NRA ought to up the ante by producing a ‘Marxist Obama will take away your guns and force you into civil service camps for re-education’ ad.

Dusty on September 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM

****************Censored******************

Dunekr007 on September 25, 2008 at 6:50 PM

ALERT! Team Obama, the Brown Shirts we ordered from China have arrived. Please line up quietly at your local DNC Headquarters to pick them up. $25 each, and we only accept cash. We will then march to the nearest military recruting office or RNC office and hold a torch light rally. Don’t forget to bring a brick or rock.

Barry

GarandFan on September 25, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Looks like the Obama has the same position on the First Amendment as he does on the Second one.

jukin on September 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM

How on earth is he going to run a country if he can’t take a commercial????

Pray that he won’t have the chance to show us, but really! How can this big wuss look at himself in the mirror every morning????

tru2tx on September 25, 2008 at 6:56 PM

So, what’s scarier? A man with a legal pad? Or, a man with a gun?

Blake on September 25, 2008 at 6:57 PM

What is wrong with the ad…Looks pretty tame

tomas on September 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM

White people. White church. Raaaccciiiiisssst!

Wethal on September 25, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Damiano on September 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Damn, but I lol’d at that.

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Like i said last week. This is like 1937 Germany.

thmcbb on September 25, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Not quite 1937 yet. More like 1932. Although “Bugs” Obama is tipping his hand.

Matt Helm on September 25, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Wow.

And the media loves this guy??

ClintACK on September 25, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Yes, he did, didn’t he.

There is a 527 ad running in CA about how John McCain’s skin cancer is too awful to dare vote him into office.

MayBee on September 25, 2008 at 7:11 PM

OBAMA! World champion peashooter! Brought a knife to a gun fight! LMAO!

freeus on September 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM

summary ( without the long words ) This is fascism

people who act like Obama and his shyster-thugs should be treated like fascists

Historical analogies are useful as learning tools, but inherently inaccurate. Our economy is much stronger and larger and more resilient that Germany in the early 1930s and our polity is also significantly different

Obama is not Hitler: he’s a punk with a lot of weathly scum paying his bills and telling him what to say and do.

This is America 2008; we make our own history

Janos Hunyadi on September 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Imagine the O!bama response if McCain had sued over that social security ad.

aikidoka on September 25, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Obama’s top ten responses to any situation if he becomes President:

10. Why can’t we all just get along?
8. That’s not the {dictator name} I though I knew
6. I’ll be at the White House multitasking. Call me if you need me.
5. Well… ummm… my staff has an… errrr… hair trigger.
4. What I’ve always said…
3. Question my judgment/ patriotism and I’ll sue you
2. Present!
1. uuuuuhhhhh… ummmmmm… errr… uhhh… it’s all because of Bush/ McCain policies.

Damiano on September 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Well, if Letterman is properly doing his job, we might as well steal his shtick.

Count to 10 on September 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM

This is insane.

This poor sick country is about to implode under its own weight. Obama can take his gaggle of ambulance chasing lawyers and stick them in his ear . . . or the orifice of his choice. This government and the dolts that administer it make the Keystone Cops look like the epitome of organization.

rplat on September 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM

just joined the NRA. Never belonged before though previously owned firearms. Now realize that I must if only for a counter statement to that !@$%%%$ from Chicago.

jcw46 on September 25, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Say, do you have to own a firearm, or intend to own one, to join the NRA?

Count to 10 on September 25, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Oh, he’s been hunting before…just not the kind of hunting Karl is talking about.

m064404 on September 25, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Obama’s lawyer threatens TV stations that run NRA ad

ManlyRash on September 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Exactly, my friend. If the Obamoids liked it they’d be offering to pay for it to be aired nationally themselves.

Patrick S on September 25, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Say, do you have to own a firearm, or intend to own one, to join the NRA?

Count to 10 on September 25, 2008 at 8:02 PM

If you don’t own a firearm, you have to join the “Notional Rifle Association.” ;-)
/kidding
/joining
/not kidding about joining

Mary in LA on September 25, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Sounds like a plan to me.

Say, do you have to own a firearm, or intend to own one, to join the NRA?

Count to 10 on September 25, 2008 at 8:02 PM

No, no requirement there. For the last 156 or so years the National Rifle Association has been the “foremost guardian” of our Right to keep and bear arms. A great organization, I am a life member.

Zorro on September 25, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Obama gonna sic his LAHYA’S on youuuu!

I’m not the least bit worried about Big Bad Brother taking my guns. What I am worried about is America turning into a socialist Nanny State under the boot-heel of Barack Hussein Obama and Pelosi’s minions. My son was wise to the ways of politics at a very young age. I regret that he may inherit an Obamanation. But he reassures me often that when it comes to unqualified poor leaders with personal agenda’s (and little else on their mind), and lying liars, what was done CAN be undone. He makes me proud *sniff*

P.S. I’m a Life Member of the NRA, and my son became a Life Member as soon as he was born, courtesy of his dear ol’ Dad. I vote and have voted in every single qualified election since I was 18-yrs old. My son has accompanied me to the polls in every single qualified election since he was born. He will be a voter too, in three years. Just in time for 2012. BooYA.

SilverStar830 on September 25, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Does Hussein even know that this nation has a Constitution?

madmonkphotog on September 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Zorro on September 25, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Well then, I might have to look into it.

Count to 10 on September 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Somehow I doubt the NRA is shaking in its boots at Obamessiah’s threats. This will just give the ads more publicity.

katieanne on September 25, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Does Hussein even know that this nation has a Constitution?

Yes he does.

And if he wins and the Democrats retain the house and senate the first thing they are going to do is to destroy the Constitution.

Nahanni on September 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Wow. Obama’s simultaneously taking on the First and Second Amendments.

I assume that if he ever becomes president the first thing he’ll do is go for the hat-trick re-establish the Quartering Act.

29Victor on September 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM

I love the NRA commercials. Those guys KNOW how to put together a proper hit peace.

Mojave Mark on September 25, 2008 at 9:20 PM