Awesome: McCain’s acting in good faith in pulling out of the debate, says Clinton

posted at 10:52 am on September 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, here he is from this morning’s GMA, just a week after calling McCain a “great man” and mere hours before stressing how “personally, profoundly honored” he is to have him speak at his charity. This must be the first time since … ever that he and Gingrich have agreed on something. Think he’s enjoying feeding The One this turdburger in bite-sized morsels as thanks for all the racial demagoguery thrown at him during the primary?

The best part of this isn’t the “good faith” bit but his point — which he repeats, so that no one misses it — that Maverick actually wanted more debates, not less. That’ll be a handy riposte tomorrow if McCain ends up skipping out and the left starts accusing him of being scared. Exit question that’s really not a question: Dude, he’s totally voting Republican this year, isn’t he?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

BILL RICHARDSON?
battleoflepanto1571 on September 25, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Nope, Kucinich, the only person who can make Obampo look reasonable.

Bishop on September 25, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Hillary must be steaming that she wasn’t Barry Hussein Obama’s VP pick and it’s payback time! Hehehe

Good job Billary!

sinsing on September 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM

As much as I despise Clinton, I have to admire his great charisma and political skill. The Lightworkerweight is about to be schooled by The Master.

Vic on September 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM

tru2tx writes: “Fox guy, Bill Hemmer, said that the stops were from he (Obama)would hear applause in his earpiece…”

WTF!!!! What’s he got an earpiece on for?? So somebody behind the curtain can feed him answers?

We’ll certainly have to check out any earpieces he might want to wear at the debates!

alwyr on September 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM

**NRO’s Media blog… AWESOME.

THIS is what Obama was doing Wednesday while McCain was suspending his campaign…

you couldn’t make a cartoon better than this!

WOW.

battleoflepanto1571 on September 25, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Oh. My. God. That is so hilarious.

tru2tx on September 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM

This election has been unpredictable and fast-moving. I never thought I’d be so anxious to hear what Bill and Hillary Clinton have to say, in a positive way!

Moxie on September 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Talked about how impressive it was to run a snow machine race for 500 miles with a broken arm.
Dudley Smith on September 25, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I don’t care who you are, doing something like that takes some serious seeds. Snowmobiles

My brother-in-law worked up on the North Slope for many years. A couple of years ago, we had a family squabble over some property here in Arizona. He called and said, “Ok, this is what we’re gonna’ do.” and I said, “Ok.” ;-)

Mr_Magoo on September 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM

O! should have written Billy Jeff that check for Hillz debt when he could have…

I don’t think he realizes what he’s gotten himself into…

RocketmanBob on September 25, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I think in part it’s revenge, and in part it’s not wanting to see the DLC/New Democrat project scrapped in favor of the old-style Carter/Mondale/Dukakis/Kerry model. You remember — the losers.

DrSteve on September 25, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Every time I see Slick Willy talk I realize why the country elected him 2 times without paying to much attention to his obvious short comings.

Bill is charismatic, smart, and able to talk his way out of anything.

Hey, I don’t like his politics, but I have to say I am impressed with the way he handles himself…

(I can’t believe I just said what I said)

Borislav on September 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Bubba has Barack hoisted off the ground by the back of the pants and the back of the shirt, just waiting for a bus to pass.

TheHat on September 25, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Why wait for a bus when a garbage truck is more appropriate?

I don’t think Willy’s done with Obama’s campaign. Look for more “pick-up” games in the near future.

Rovin on September 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Maybe Bubba is politicking for Secretary of Hot Tubs in a McCain administration.

Mr_Magoo on September 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Although when it comes to Palin you know why he likes her, Slick Willy will always be Slick Willy!

He really just can’t help himself when it comes to women (pretty or not)

Moxie on September 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Rhetorical exit question?

DaveC on September 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM

What is funny is that Hillary’s best chance, now, of getting back into the White House in 4 years is on the skirt-tails of Sarah Palin setting the precedent of becoming VP.

A female Republican VP now means that Hillary is just as vialable a VP candidate or President Candidate for the Democrats. It would not surprise me to see Obama swap out Biden for Clinton, but I wouldn’t hold my breath either.

Either way. As long as Hillary breaths air. Don’t. Coun’t. Hillay. Out.

Lawrence on September 25, 2008 at 11:43 AM

I always said, Oblabma will rue the day he pissed off the Clintons…

OMG, I’m watching O talk now at that conference, he sounds STUPID….

reshas1 on September 25, 2008 at 11:45 AM

freeus writes: “Just a reminder, all this love we are feeling now, well that is not going to last come 2012.”

Quite frankly, I’m prepared to let 2012 take care of itself right now.

alwyr on September 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Allah you magnificent bastard, you gave the best morning laugh I’ve had in a month!

Sultry Beauty on September 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM

alwyr on September 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM

He (Obambam) wasn’t actually there – he was on a live feed from Florida, so that’s why he had an earpiece – so he could hear the applause and his followers slobber all over every word he said.

But I do think he should have a pat down before the debates. Don’t trust the SOB in anything he does.

tru2tx on September 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM

I wish Bill Clinton would just come out with it and endorse McCain. Might as well make it official.

t.ferg on September 25, 2008 at 11:48 AM

This is all about Hillary running in 2012. Period.

jewells45 on September 25, 2008 at 11:48 AM

How is Barack Obama compared to John F. Kennedy, when clearly, Clinton can talk circles around him?

This guy can speak extemporanously about pretty much anything, and sound intelligent while doing it. I’m not so sure Obama can do that. In fact, I know he can’t.

YYZ on September 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM

There was a hot tub in the back of the white house, I was in there most of the day… – Slick Willie.

It must be 12:00am or 12:00pm because Bubba is right today. His motives couldn’t be more clear however I agree with him. (today, just today)

Claypigeon on September 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM

It wasn’t waiting for him to hear applause, it was waiting for them to type his speech for the teleprompter. Reworking because McCain went first.

reshas1 on September 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Obama really should have paid Hillary that $12 million he promised. In hindsight that would have been money well spent to keep these kinds of interviews from happening.

Buford on September 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Buford on September 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM

even IF Obama paid off part of Hillery’s bill.. Billy Jeff would still be sitting there saying the exact same thing..

scale of one to ten, how much do you think Obmama regrets not picking Hillery as his VP?

DaveC on September 25, 2008 at 11:52 AM

alwyr on September 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Someone better be jamming any wireless earpieces for the debate. That ain’t right. I am dead serious. We need an RF (radio) guru in there to jam any earpiece nonsense. Or feed him some inaccurate “facts” for him to regurgitate.

connertown on September 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Clinton is simply a genius at turning the screws. Some conservatives despise him so much that they are a bit blind to this, but the guy really knows what he’s about.

As with Hillary in her primary battle, I must grudgingly admit that there is something to admire here, just in terms of sheer craftsmanship of the political art.

JudetheFossil on September 25, 2008 at 11:08 AM

We tend to forget exactly why he won twice. The genius here, and in all of his recent interviews, is what a blathering fraud he shows Obama to be by comparison, especially when it comes to discussing the economy — and it’s driving the nutroots insane.

Nichevo on September 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM

BTW, I heard that Bill told Larry King he wouldn’t campaign for Obama until after the Jewish holidays. Did he mean Hanukkah? Haha.

CP on September 25, 2008 at 11:56 AM

An even better portion of the interview is linked over at Newsbusters.

Bill Clinton on Thursday told ABC’s Chris Cuomo that Democrats for years have been “resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards and tighten up a little on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac”

phreshone on September 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM

DaveC on September 25, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Oh, I’d rate that at about eleventy-billion or so.

Anna on September 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM

you folks seem to forget Bill’s track record of backing candidates.

They seem to lose.

swami on September 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Awesomely awesome!

Y-not on September 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Check out what mentally challenged DUmmies are posting re: Bubba.

Some for your enjoyment. My how memories of their great hero fade in comparison to the glories/essence/flatulence of Teh One.

Bill Clinton is a joke and needs to go far, far away until Nov. 4.

If he did, you all would be caterwauling about how his silence hurts Obama and you bloody well know it.

Who’s side is Bill on? STFU, Big Dog!

No sh!t. What a jerk.

So far my favorite on.

Good faith? By announcing it to the media first instead of trying to negotiate between the campaigns? And cheesy McCain-pushed “town halls” are the equivalent now of official moderated Presidential debates? Go f*ck yourself, Bill, you bastard. You are a worthless POS.

Clinton as prez stabbed progressive politics in the back BIGTIME — tho he also deserves credit …for managing the greatest economic boom in US history, and balancing the budget, which most (including me) previously thought as a practical political matter impossible. Clinton was a gift to conservatives, plus all they do is complain about it, when it is progressives who should be doing the complaining. (Note also how weak the Clinton Administration’s record was on the environment).

Now comes the conspiracy….

Clintons and the GOP were never enemies–they wink at each other all the time. They share a common enemy, though, and that is a united, strong, progressive Democratic party with someone other than a Clinton at the helm–Bill will fight that until the day he dies.

Well, we all know who Bill wants to win this year. My how the mighty have fallen.

Here’s some good advice.

Psssst: Don’t believe anything you hear on FOX.

Because all other media outlets are sooooooooooo fair and not biased.

I have neither defended or crucified Clinton……. Until today….until now. I saw him on the Today Show and, I was appalled. Sick, actually. I have seen many posts about what a jerk Bill Clinton has been and his “non-support support” for Obama. I had not seen him speak about the election recently until this morning. Jesus, WTF. Being a Libra, I could say that Bill Clinton was being “presidential” and trying to stay above the fray. But…I really do not think so. There were a couple of instances where he could have really made Obama look good and slam McCain in the process, without appearing snarky. I believe Bill is walking a fine line and is not trying to be part of the election, but is becoming so by saying the crap he is.

Fellow Libra here…I only just made up my mind about his utter hopelessness re. this election. Someone said something very perceptive on another blog about Bill and this election: Normally the words just flow from him, whatever the topic, but ask him about this particular election, McCain and Palin and he gets verrrrrrrry careful in his wording. It’s like he’s tippy-toeing around the language trying to come up with just the right triangulatory phrase every time he opens his mouth. Once I read that, it became transparent as hell to me how tortured he is at the thought of losing his place in Democratic Party history before he gets a chance to play the power game again with Hillary as president. It’s incredibly f*cked up.

The quintessential comment from a DUmmie.

I normally avoid the Clinton stuff but he’s pissing me off…..I can tell you this as a black person……we f*cking lined up early in the morning to vote for that f*ucker and we were enthusiastic about voting for him and defending him at all costs! Now that he has done this…he’s screwing himself out of the black vote for Hillary. Keep it up Bill….you’re f*cking your wife over with this sh!t! You better quit talking stupid and show some more respect for the Democratic Nominee! McCain has his own supporters..you don’t need to keep talking him up every time you are on television!

That one made me laugh. Threatening Hillary to boot.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 25, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I guess Obama was right. He is a uniter.

Kafir on September 25, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I’ll repeat what I did in yesterday’s thread (and btw, I’m still surprised Allah hasn’t posted any video of Billy going gaga over the Palin family the other night)

I’m not going to go through and read all of the comments… but please tell me that I’m not the only one who sees this for what it is – deliberate sabotage on the Obama campaign. We’ve all known, and Dick Morris spelled it out very clearly, that the Bill will do a lot of stupid stuff to undermine the campaign, in hopes that Barry loses, so Hillary can swoop in for the nomination in 2012.

This couldn’t be more clear, especially after the “I don’t know if anyone can be ready” for the White House, stuff, etc. Then the interviews the other day where he practically begged to be part of the Palin family. He praised all of them, went on and on about how Todd Palin is so awesome and his “kind of guy” and how he “can’t get over” him completing 500 miles of that snowmachine race with a broken arm, called Palin “hot”, etc. etc.

Obviously my comment isn’t going to influence anything here, I’m just hoping to open the eyes of people who may just think Billy Jeff is losing his mind. This is all very calculated. As Morris said, Hillary will pretend to make some effort in helping stump for Obama, because she kind of has to, but Bill will keep doing little things on the side to undermine Obama… and it’s quite clear he has been.

RightWinged on September 24, 2008 at 8:56 PM

RightWinged on September 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Totally…

You know, and so do the libs-in the space where their hearts should be, that Billy Jeff, Hillz, and Chelsea are pullin that lever for Mav just like Monica used to pull

Well never mind the comparison…Billy Jeff has been performing a vital service lately to us on the right…

AND PRO-BONO NO LESS !

O! should’a written the check when he could’a…

RocketmanBob on September 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM

you don’t mess with bill corleone…

right4life on September 25, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Considering Bill was called the first black president and he believed it, I think Allah’s right and he’s feeding Barry back those turd sandwiches for calling him a racist. Heh.

Big John on September 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Nope, Kucinich, the only person who can make Obampo look reasonable.

Bishop on September 25, 2008 at 11:33 AM

____________________________________________________________

Nope, I hear Kucinich is unavailable. He is vacationing on Jupiter.

HornetSting on September 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Barry is thinking now that he really should have written that check to Hillary!

GarandFan on September 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM

you folks seem to forget Bill’s track record of backing candidates.

They seem to lose.

swami on September 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Ok then! I hope Willie keeps on “officially” backing Obama.

BacaDog on September 25, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, he wrecked the Good Ship Hillary….Keep talking, Bubba.

HornetSting on September 25, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Let’s see, dissension in the Democrat ranks with the Clintonites, a Chicago politician with numerous ties to racist anti-American scum-bags, a VP candidate who is a walking gaffe machine, a Party that is playing the race-card and in the process, angering evil white Americans who cling to their Bibles and guns, versus a true American War hero and down to earth, self-made VP-

and we are suppose to believe the overt and blatantly liberal media that the Dems are really ahead in the polls?

Really?

uhm……..let us suppose….just for a moment….that…..the polsters are being JUST AS over-the-top partisan as the rest of the liberal media.

OR-

are we to believe that America just turned into socialist Europe in the last 8 years?

Sorry- the former makes a helluva lot more sense than the latter.

FiveWays on September 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Rush is playing excepts of what I think is the same interview and if that’s true the most important thing Clinton said was that Reps tried to reform Fannie and Freddie and tighten up standards and it was blocked by the Dems….

TheBigOldDog on September 25, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I don’t trust either Bill or Hill as far as I can throw ‘em and the Clinton administration was morally repugnant.

However, he is a master politician and campaigner. When he works his “craft” he can be awe-inspiring. I’m glad he’s working for our side at the moment.

I’m not ready to welcome into the fold with open arms. Clinton does what is best for Clinton and everyone else be damned.

Ace ODale on September 25, 2008 at 12:27 PM

phreshone on September 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Priceless!

scalleywag on September 25, 2008 at 12:28 PM

[Clinton video]

I’m John McCain, and I approve this message.

fossten on September 25, 2008 at 12:33 PM

At some point, Clinton’s “support” moves him and Hillary so far from the party line that the “blue dogs” will have to drop their last name.

Exit question: Will pro-choice, so called fiscal conservative, social liberal “blue dogs” (Lieberman and/or Clintons) ever find a home in McCain’s Republican Party?

Angry Dumbo on September 25, 2008 at 12:36 PM

This is a result of Obama’s repeatedly demonstrated inability to think longterm. Any idiot would have known that it was a mistake to make an enemy of the Clintons. But O’s not just any idiot. He’s special. In a bad way.

baldilocks on September 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM

An even better portion of the interview is linked over at Newsbusters.

phreshone on September 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Anybody home at HA?

TheBigOldDog on September 25, 2008 at 12:43 PM

That one made me laugh. Threatening Hillary to boot.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 25, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for posting that. Wonder what that idiot was doing 14 years ago when Clinton refused to intervene in Rwanda or when he did nothing about the al Qaeda bombings in Kenya and Tanzania. That’s when I woke up.

baldilocks on September 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM

He really, really , really does not like BO…

d1carter on September 25, 2008 at 12:51 PM

But O’s not just any idiot. He’s special. In a bad way.

baldilocks on September 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Oh, man, did that make me chuckle. Good times.

Anna on September 25, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I’m reminded of the classic Godfather scene with Vito giving Michael his life lesson of whom to trust and whom not to.

If anyone’s forgotton why they loathe Hillbilly I suggest they pull out their copy of “Reckless Disregard”

It brings one back to reality.

Domino on September 25, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I didn’t think I’d ever say this…but I really enjoy Bill enjoying himself! It’s like he’s getting away with something (again) and doing it so cleverly (again) that some people don’t even realize what he’s doing (again). And the brilliant part of it is there’s not a damn thing they can do about it (again). Classic Clinton!

scalleywag on September 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM

p.s. Pretty sure every one in his private circle knows exactly what Bill Clinton thinks of Barrack Obama. Maybe the media should ask some of them.

scalleywag on September 25, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Bill Clinton and Republicans opposing Obama. Strange bedfellows, indeed.

SKYFOX on September 25, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Fellow Libra here…

What is this nonsense? I am a Libra too (today is my b-day) and I have no idea WTF they are talking about – am I supposed to post something at DU?

Seriously, I think the time Billy Jeff spent with Bush41 rubbed off on him and made him somewhat (only somewhat) sane.

HawaiiLwyr on September 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I realize that I may be small for this, but I still hate him.

lionheart on September 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Oh man, the stuff about Obama with the earpiece reminds me of American Dreamz. Go rent that if you haven’t seen it. The dumb President uses an earpiece so his staff guy can feed him all the answers to everything. But he finally gets sick of it and takes it out. Hilarity ensues.

rockmom on September 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Remember when the cool guys on Obama’s convention team thought it would be neat to play Addicted To Love following Slick’s presentation, ’cause they had the upper hand and could get away with it? Heh.

a capella on September 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Let’s look at the Bill Clinton calculus.

An Obama victory, no matter how bad he is once in office, pretty much locks Hillary out of the Oval Office permanently. Bad as Carter was he still got the nomination for a second term and so would Obama. 2016 is a long way away, and the country’s probably sick of the Dems by then anyway.

McCain wins, Obama’s looniest backers deflate and go back to wanking to ‘net porn. Dem party leadership gets shaken up, nutroots had their shot and lost, Dem playing field’s tilted back Sen Clinton’s way for 2012.

McCain’s not going to run for a second term, Sarah vs Hillary 2012. Bill knows his history, incumbent VPs are not a shoo-in for the top seat even when they’re coming out of a broadly popular administration (right Al?)

I’m sure there’s also a part of Bill that wouldn’t mind tanking Obama just to show the Dem party that he’s still a force they need to contend with. The Clintons might also be betting that 2012 will not have a galvanizing issue like the Iraq war to buzz the loony left into action, and that the sooner the party starts trying to take the center away from Palin the better.

JEM on September 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM

BJ still has that 2012 ticket in his pocket and he’s gonna hold on to it. I’m pretty sure he believes that Hillary could defeat Palin in 2012 but Hillary would have to wait for 2016 if Obama gets in and then there’s the strong possibility that after 8 years of Obama the likelihood of another Dem in the WH is slim for 2016.

Texas Gal on September 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Wow,and osama thought chicago politics was brutal.Bill is a master at neautralizing borat lately.Reminds me of an old Carly Simon song”KILLING ME SOFTLY”.

Marines for Mccain on September 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Ive only heard Bill say Barak Obama ,about 4 times since the convention.

Marines for Mccain on September 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Marines for Mccain on September 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Think that was Roberta Flack

Son of Sam Kinison on September 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM

President Clinton—called Republican presidential candidate John McCain QUOTE “a great man” and praised GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin as an “instinctively effective candidate.”

Bill cut it out — I cannot like you.

To think Bill is the most reasonable Dem out there right now is something.

Jamson64 on September 25, 2008 at 6:14 PM

If I were John McCain, I’d have someone just close enough to be credible and just distant enough to be deniable drop a hint with Bill Clinton about how he should go about clearing his record for an eventual Supreme Court appointment.

Yeah, go ahead conservatives, retch. I feel the same way. But wasn’t it Napoleon who said ‘politics is the art of the possible’ and McCain ain’t gonna get a Scalia or even a Roberts through this Senate, and Bill Clinton’s nothing if not a practical man.

JEM on September 25, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I think we all pretty much realize and agree that former President Clinton is one the ultimate politicians in this country’s history, regardless of his personal and political misconduct. He’s definitely done his homework how on Roosevelt, Kennedy (I mean Joe), LBJ and Tip O’Neil were able to twist so many arms,and leave the injured party smiling. I do feel that he’s making his statements less out of regard and admiration for John McCain (though McCain is one of those Republicans Clinton can “reach out” to, not something I’m absolutely thrilled about) and more out of spite and disdain for the Dems pretender to the throne. It doesn’t matter, though; any help Clinton throws this way is help we should take. So what if he’s only trying to set up a Hilary v. Sarah match in 2012 (and that’s not foregone, since McCain may do well enough and be hale enough to run again. Who knows?) Billy Jeff loves the game. Yes, he likes to win. Why play otherwise? I think he’d relish being “first husband” which is probably one of his motivators. Plus the fact that he sees Obama as chum in shark infested political waters. Big fish like Clinton can’t resist that kind of bait, no matter which party they belong to. Let’s let him chew up and swallow Obama, pat him on the head when he does, and reap the benefits. Then, when Palin runs, the Dems nominating Hilary will be like when they used to nominate Ted Kennedy. The Democrat party will be leading with their chin.

So, though I find Clinton to be mostly reprehensible, I can’t fault his political acumen. He’s doing what he can to influence the election against Obama, not particularly for McCain. Any port in a storm…

creekspecter on September 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM