Palinmania: 60,000 turn out for event in Florida?

posted at 9:08 pm on September 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

Exhibit A in the case of why even I can’t get too depressed about that anti-Palin focus group in Florida the ‘sphere was buzzing about yesterday. Granted, the event was held in a GOP stronghold; granted, Team Maverick’s crowd estimates have been “problematic” in the past, although this one comes from a fire chief on the scene, not the campaign; granted, 60,000 is probably a high-end figure, with another fire official and several reporters who were there pegging it as closer to 25,000. Even so, per the last link, consider this: As a sitting president, Dubya only managed to pull 15,000 when he showed up four years ago.

The Villages, a vast, upscale planned community north of Orlando, has about 70,000 mostly adult residents — many of them military retirees — who vote reliably Republican in statewide races. Tens of thousands inched along roads into the picturesque town square of the complex, where they stood in sweltering heat for about four hours as local GOP officials and a country band revved up the crowd.

“Sa-Rah! Sa-Rah!” they chanted at every mention of her name, applauding loudly and waiving tiny American flags that were distributed — along with free water bottles — by local volunteers. The fire chief estimated the crowd at 60,000.

Admiring throngs mobbed the Palin family’s arrival and departure, snapping souvenir pictures. Autograph seekers thrust campaign signs, caps with the McCain-Palin logo and copies of magazines with her face on their covers, and the Palins responded warmly.

Biden’s largest crowd among four stops in Florida earlier this month? 2,000. The excitement’s not over yet, either. Next up to be stricken with a scorching case of Palinmania? Bono. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

canopfor on September 21, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Which one of those things relates to foreign policy or national defense experience? She has command authority in a peacetime roll of her state’s National Guard, yes. However, the doctrine, structure, training oversight, equipping, and funding of the Alaska Army National Guard falls under the Chief of the National Guard Bureau, which falls under the Secretary of the Army, and the Secretary of Defense (much the same as the Air National Guard and the Air Force.) This is according to Army Regulation 130-5, Figure 1-1, “National Guard Bureau Charter.”

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:18 AM

send_me is a troll…please do not feed the trolls.
- Zookeeper
ex-Democrat on September 21, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Ad hominem: the fallacy of choice for those who cannot formulate a coherent argument.

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Okay, Send_Me, let’s talk about Barry “I thought about joining the military once” Obama. Why exactly is he qualified to be the Commander In Chief?

And next up, how exactly has Barry “Jeremiah Wright is like my uncle” Obama distinguish himself in the senate?

Godzilla on September 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Your “Messiah” hasn’t done crap… and what is even worse… how can someone elect a Seantor whom has an average of missing over 95 votes PER YEAR since being in the Senate. Talk about a loser for a State!

I look forward to getting him and Durbin out of office. Durbin’s up for reelection this year. http://www.moveondickdurbin.org What’s a “Seantor”? Also, I’m not an Obama fan. His idea of a “civilian national security force” from a speech on 2 Jul 08 concerns me, to say the least. Among other things.

BTW you are an idiot.
upinak on September 21, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM

You do realize that many of our most successful Presidents are former governors (one whose initials are RR comes to mind). And might I remind you that governors have NO — nada, zip, zilch, zero — foreign policy or national defense experience. More important is the ability to lead, inspire, manage, delegate — and leave the details to cabinet appointees and advisors. I’ve seen nothing about Palin that makes believe she is any less qualified than Obama, and in fact she strikes me as considerably MORE qualified — and she’s at the BOTTOM of the ticket.

Purple Fury on September 22, 2008 at 12:27 AM

He’s not. I never said he was.

Godzilla on September 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM

He hasn’t. My question though is this: because my toddler can walk and the neighbor’s newborn can’t, does that mean my child should is ready for kindergarten? Neither Obama nor Palin are qualified. That’s all I’m saying. McCain is a moderate Democrat, at best. Biden… yeah. I recommend Joseph Farah’s book, “None of the Above” for those interested.
“There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties… This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.” ~John Adams

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM

More Palinmania, even in California:

‘The Palin Factor’ sparks fear and enthusiasm

Post-convention swing state polls are tipping toward Sen. John McCain, the TV pundits are waxing about “The Palin Factor,” and Sen. Barack Obama’s California supporters are freaking out about a race Democrats were uncommonly confident about only a month ago.

Last week, the McCain campaign e-mailed supporters to say it was “looking for volunteers who are willing to spend the final 10 days of the campaign helping in a nearby state.” But at the San Mateo County branch of the McCain campaign, 300 people turned out last week for its volunteer kickoff event; the turnout was goosed by Palin, organizers said. Now the office is welcoming first-timer campaigners like Phil Lehman, a 63-year-old Foster City resident.

His reason for volunteering: “Sarah.”

Loxodonta on September 22, 2008 at 12:32 AM

They should start charging…..I would definitely pay just
to see her… Palin just a exciting and forceful speaker
to see.

dec5 on September 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I got an invite to attend a reception in Costa Mesa, CA….$1,000. I’d love to see her, but that’s way out of my budget. I wish they’d have an open rally like this one for us in CA.

nyrofan on September 22, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Send_Me, experience is no substitute for common sense. Witness Biden’s idea of dividing Iraq into 3 countries. When it comes to plain common sense and good instincts, I’ll go with Palin no problem. By the time McCain/Palin takes office, she’ll be up to speed in foreign policy. She’s already got a headstart on the domestic adgenda.

Godzilla on September 22, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Purple Fury on September 22, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Reagan’s foreign policy credentials were not forged during his time as governor, other than his struggle against communists and anarchists at Berkeley and other parts of the state. I’d encourage you to either read “Reagan’s War: The Epic Story of His Forty-Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism” by Peter Schweizer or watch the documentary “In the Face of Evil” for more about what Reagan’s resume actually entailed. It goes far beyond his time as governor.

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:36 AM

highhopes on September 21, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I agree. Before everyone hated “Juan”, but now no one is allowed to question him. Weird.

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Purple Fury on September 22, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Your comment influenced me to look it up. I googled and found this

Renae on September 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM

I’m very happy to criticize Mac, I just don’t think it’s fair to assume Palin is bad because he picked her.

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Spirit of 1776, she’s got a few out, but none as good as this one.

Godzilla on September 21, 2008 at 11:29 PM

She seems smart and fearless. Doesn’t look like she uses a teleprompter either. She didn’t miss a beat.

Looks like Axelrod & Co. have her in their sights. Her entire WordPress blog enties were deleted? Yikes, these guys don’t fk around.

Hopefully, the Clintonistas can slip through the dead of night, and protect her flank!

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Obama got an Emmy?

Did he win for best fake campaign events in Germany that had TWO music groups performing? Sort of like that time he had some music group that sings the Communist National Anthem open for him and claimed 70,000 came out just for THE ONE!

Obama meeting Bono would be ONE, and only ONE qualifier on his resume for POTUS! Somehow admitting that you have spent your entire Senate career campaigning for POTUS does not a solid candidate make in most normal Americans minds. However, being a Councilwoman, Mayor, and then a Governor with no lusting for VP or POTUS, that does seem to sit well with most normal thinking Americans. Someone here said what the Left cannot stand is that Governor Palin’s life experiences and her government experiences do pass the test. We like it that she has not spent 3 years in the Senate being a robotic voter for her party or voting present, or voting against our military, or not being able to admit HE was wrong when it comes to something as important as the Surge!

I hope she has a blast meeting these people next week and scares the hell out of them if they even remotely think about selling us a bill of goods or down the river. Maybe she can show them pictures of all the animals she has killed! I think she and McCain scare the living daylights out of Putin and that alone is worth a vote!

freeus on September 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Why expend the energy on spilled milk, though? There are six weeks to go. You go to war with the ticket that you have.

After Nov 4, you pick your next move. Am I wrong?

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 12:55 AM

freeus on September 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM

I’m sure Putin is slipping cash to the Obama campaign as you speak!

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 12:55 AM

No. I’m just saying that honest conversation around here is fine. Heck, AP posts critical views all the time (appropriately). I’m in favor of honest discussion, that’s my point. I don’t think McCain discomfort should be projected on to Palin. Would that have been done if he picked Mitt or Fred? No, it’s only because some people are ignorant on Palin (and that’s no insult, she’s not talked much about foreign policy) that the assumption is to bad. I’m merely saying we can be happy about one, wary of the other.

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2008 at 12:59 AM

I got this in an email…please pass it on…make viral.

Who Am I?

I am under 45 years old,
I love the outdoors,
I hunt,
I am a Republican reformer,
I have taken on the Republican Party establishment,
I have many children,
I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president even though I have less than two years in the governor’s office.
I wear glasses.

Who am I?

No, your answer does not need to be in the form of a question.

You do not need to make a wager before you guess.

However, if you did make a wager, hope you didn’t bet the farm.

Did you guess correctly?

Better scroll down to see if you’re as smart as you think you are.

I am Teddy Roosevelt

SouthernGent on September 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM

After Nov 4, you pick your next move. Am I wrong?
Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 12:55 AM

I vote for principle, not for party allegiance. Also, consider that while folks focus on this presidential election (which is a loser), we lose our perspective that the real battles are for Congress. They’re the only ones who will stop the policies of McCain or Obama from coming to fruition.

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM

SouthernGent on September 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Done.

I put both TR’s and SP’s picture on the email. Here are the links for the pictures I chose. What do you think?

Sarah’s Picture

Teddy’s Picture

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

I vote for principle, not for party allegiance.

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM

So do I.

Who are you voting for?

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 1:31 AM

You’re a liar, “Send Me”, and not a very good liar at that

McCain was supported by some and criticized by many before he won the nomination, and he continues to face substantive criticism here from conservatives who have their reasonable doubts–particularly on immigration and amnesty

You insult me and many others, you lie about us, you oversimplify our positions and our motives, and then you whine like a little girl when people expose who and what you are: another half-wit antagonistic troll whose main purpose is to disrupt threads

You should embrace your POS-ness, and STFU ( that’s not an ad hominem attack, BTW, but a linking of your stupidty with your talking points

Janos Hunyadi on September 22, 2008 at 1:31 AM

I knew Teddy Roosevelt. Teddy Roosevelt was a friend… oh never mind.

People who don’t get Sarah Palin don’t get America. Period.

And Send_Me sure has changed its tune and its tone since, when initially reacting to the Palin pick, he or she was posting excerpts from postings by an evangelical preacher named “Voddie Baucham” questioning the good governor’s fitness as a mother. Now it’s all this horse flop about qualifications and experience. Guess the priggish nonsense wasn’t getting enough of a rise out of the HotAir yokels…

CK MacLeod on September 22, 2008 at 1:33 AM

You’re a liar, “Send Me”,

Janos Hunyadi on September 22, 2008 at 1:31 AM

I hope you’re wrong. I haven’t really been paying attention, though.

I’m always so disappointed when it’s discovered that a poster plays those types of games. It’s so pointless.

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Give me a break, that’s the same nonsense that people said about George W when trying to rationalize his obvious lack of original insight or thought. The party of Lincoln and Roosevelt has turned its back on individuals of uncommon intelligence and wisdom. This woman is nothing but W. with lipstick.

bayam on September 22, 2008 at 1:44 AM

This woman is nothing but W. with lipstick.

bayam on September 22, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Obama is nothing but Vladamir Lenin in blackface.

C’Mon. This stuff is rubbish…

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM

This woman is nothing but W. with lipstick.

McSame! Whatever.

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2008 at 1:53 AM

I am under 45 years old,
I love the outdoors,
I hunt,
I am a Republican reformer,
I have taken on the Republican Party establishment,
I have many children,
I wear glasses.

Are you serious? Teddy was an author, a worldwide traveler, a man of exceptional intelligence and knowledge who graduated at the top of his class at Harvard. Before serving as Governor of New York, his past positions included Asst. Secretary of the Navy. Beyond his formal education, Roosevelt read prodigiously and spoke at least 2 foreign languages.

Palin doesn’t represent any of Roosevelt’s characteristics. What a joke. Her only claim to another language might be speaking in tongues at her fundamentalist church, something that Roosevelt would have found amusing.

bayam on September 22, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Done.

Sarah’s Picture

Teddy’s Picture

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

Well, I’m sure some elite media type would say Roosevelt’s clothes are sooooooo 1900′s ;-) Just pass the email on. This and the JAWA/ACE bombshell will surely overload email Inboxes.

SouthernGent on September 22, 2008 at 2:06 AM

bayam, in your Rush to Insult you don’t know the difference between ‘charismatic’ and ‘fundamentalist’. All you trolls and libtards are essentially the same. You want to disrupt, to insult–to sabotage any intelligent productive discussion among conservative adults

in a way, you’re worse: you’re not as ignorant as most of your fellow trolls–or at least you’re better at running to Wikipedia and using superficial information.

You should hang out at HuffPo, where people like you can swim in the same fetid sea, constanting wanking as you navigate the rancid currents of bile. Here, you’re just an annoyance

Janos Hunyadi on September 22, 2008 at 2:12 AM

bayam on September 22, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Glad you approve of him. He’s McCain’s role-model.

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Oh My Gosh….

This is funny!

Be sure to go to the “Prank Calls” page for some great humor!

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 2:18 AM

OT guys, but the Jawa Report just posted this, and Ace has followed.

Major-league astroturfing… with top-notch professional PR firm… run and operated by people who have given shiploads of money to Obama.

I didn’t get to read all of it, but this is BIG!

newton on September 22, 2008 at 2:19 AM

I know the difference and I’m not a liberal. I come from a Republican state where brains actually count. Do you expect everyone to jump on the Palin bandwagon because of some inane speech about hockey moms and lipstick?

bayam on September 22, 2008 at 2:48 AM

Where was this pessimism when the ONE inflates his Berline Rally numbers by a factor of ten?

promachus on September 22, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Over at The Jawa Report, Dr. Shackleford links the allegedly “viral” and “grassroots” smear videos against Sarah Palin to people and firms closely related to the Obama campaign.
Apparently the hundreds of MSM “reporters” assigned 24/7 to digging up dirt on Palin since McCain announced her selection aren’t enough . . .
Interestingly enough, the PR firm involved hasn’t shown up on any disclosure forms yet . . .

Adjoran on September 22, 2008 at 3:09 AM

“Adjoran on September 22, 2008 at 3:09 AM”

foks, this could well have a positive impact, but it is hardly an OMG GAMECHANGING BOMBSHELL!

/sleazy politician uses sleazy operatvie to do sleazy things — stop the presses …

Buckaroo on September 22, 2008 at 3:34 AM

we lose our perspective that the real battles are for Congress
Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Tell that to the terrorists.

Many of have domestic and foreign policy issues in perspective.

csdeven on September 22, 2008 at 6:44 AM

O/T….

60% are constitutionalists.

Should McCain make the appointments to the SCOTUS an issue?

csdeven on September 22, 2008 at 7:39 AM

yeah he used to go on safari and kill a lot of animals, so? as far as graduating the top of his class in harvard…well the messiah went to harvard, so that is a disqualifier as far as I am concerned.

and whats wrong with that? nothing like a little religious bigotry from the ‘tolerant’ wacko left. do you bow at the alter of darwin?

right4life on September 22, 2008 at 9:37 AM

I come from a Republican state where brains actually count.

too bad you don’t have any.

right4life on September 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM

I would love to take my daughter and go to a McCain/Palin rally! I doubt they’re coming back to Virginia anytime soon, though.

I’m glad people are fired up over her, even if it’s for the ‘wrong’ reasons. I don’t care at this point why people are voting for McCain/Palin, just that they’re not voting for Obama/Biden. That’s a presidency I don’t think we’d recover from in my lifetime – and I have my kids’ futures to look out for.

Anna on September 22, 2008 at 9:50 AM

I’m amazed 2,000 people showed up to see Joe Biden.

If Joe Biden was at my front door I wouldn’t get up off of the couch to let him in.

Did those 2,000 people think Joe was going to hand them a bag of gold or something? It’s a given they are of low intelligence, since they’re Democrats.

NoDonkey on September 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Dude, you have to go there to understand. If something big happens there, you HAVE to attend. It’s a mob mentality. There are tons of restaurants open all hours, but everybody eats dinner at 5:00 – just know it in advance.

ThackerAgency on September 21, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Uh huh. So it’s like a mini-totalitarian state and there is no freedom of choice because everyone is programmed to be under the control of the evil Big Village where there is nothing to do and from which there is no escape.

Buy Danish on September 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

“Please refrain from using ad hominem fallacies: they do nothing to forward the dialogue here.

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM”

The only one engaging in ad hominem’s is YOU. What EXACTLY is your position in the Obama campaign hierarchy?

All of this comtempt and hate-speech you engage in to try and distract from the fact that Sarah draws 60,000 people and Biden can barely draw 2,000.

Pitiful.

grtflmark on September 22, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Witness Biden’s idea of dividing Iraq into 3 countries.

The idea wasn’t to set up 3 COUNTRIES. . . it was to set up 3 STATES. . . you know like we have 50 here that have to do what Washington DC says.

Buy Danish on September 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

I hate to call names, but here, you are an idiot.

ThackerAgency on September 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I’m amazed 2,000 people showed up to see Joe Biden.

NoDonkey on September 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM

The source of the number is suspect since it comes from the Obama/Biden campaign. Probably 200…

Calm Before the Storm on September 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Whether the crowd was 60,000 or 25,000, I was wondering–did these people show up to hear Sarah Palin AND John McCain, or Sarah Palin speaking alone?

If she can draw crowds like that alone, she and McCain should campaign separately, as long as she can stay on-message, and not say anything different from McCain that the media might exploit as confusion within the ticket. But Palin definitely appeals to conservatives and women, whereas McCain has a stronger appeal to independent male voters. If they campaign separately, they could plan a strategy to appeal to conservatives in some areas, and independents in other areas, in order to forge the coalition they will need to win.

Steve Z on September 22, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I was there along with my parents, and there was not 60,000 people. More like 25,000 to 30,000. And the Republicans did not organize it well at all. We waited in line from 11:00am to 3:15pm and has soon as we got to the gate (we had tickets) they closed it down. So we had to find some place outside the area to sit and watch Sarah on the giant TV screen.
Her speech was good, but we had to leave in the middle of it, my mom wasn’t feeling well.

shiba03 on September 22, 2008 at 12:55 PM

She’s treading into the messiah’s territory, awesome.

Cr4sh Dummy on September 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

More signs of an enthusiasm gap from Ann Althouse’s blog:

And that’s in Madison, Wisconsin!

Y-not on September 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM

grtflmark on September 22, 2008 at 10:29 AM

ad hom•i•nem (hŏm’ə-něm’, -nəm) adj. Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason

Send_Me on September 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM

All of this comtempt and hate-speech you engage in…
grtflmark on September 22, 2008 at 10:29 AM