Report: Organizers of Iran rally threatened with loss of tax-exempt status if they invited Palin

posted at 10:49 am on September 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Name ‘em and shame ‘em. Seriously. Fox News and the Journal should be all over this. Judging from the number of Democrats quoted in the piece as being upset about it, there’s no shortage of people willing to leak. Let’s find out who, precisely, decided that inviting a prominent Republican to a nonpartisan rally might warrant a visit from the IRS.

And then, in the words of a famous cult leader, let’s get in their faces.

Sources tell CBS 2 HD that a decision to disinvite Palin from the high profile rally after Clinton pulled out in a huff came as the result of intense pressure from Democrats.

“This is insulting. This is embarrassing, especially to Gov. Palin, to me and I think it should be to every single New Yorker,” Assemblyman Dov Hikind, D-Brooklyn, told CBS 2 HD.

Sources say the axes were out for Palin as soon as Sen. Clinton pulled out because she did not want to attend the same event as the Republican vice presidential candidate…

The groups sponsoring the rally against Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad speaking at the UN were reportedly told, “it could jeopardize their tax exempt status” if they had Palin and not Clinton or Democratic VP candidate Joe Biden on hand…

“It’s an absolute shame that this has happened,” Hikind said. “To threaten organizations … to threaten the Conference of Presidents that if you don’t withdraw the invitation to Gov. Palin we’re going to look into your tax exempt status … that’s McCarthyism.”…

“I’m absolutely appalled at the behavior of the Democrats,” said Bob Kunst of Defenders.net. “I’m a Democrat and for the first time in my life I’m going to vote Republican. I can’t take it anymore.”

NBC wrote about the tax-exemption issue two days ago but they made it sound like something the organizers had taken up of their own accord. Quote from an unnamed official involved: “The IRS is very clear, Hillary Clinton does not equal Sarah Palin… You have to have equal representation of candidates.” You do? Here’s the speaker list from last year’s anti-Iran rally at the UN. Scott Garrett is a Republican congressman; as far as I know, every other pol on the list is a Democrat. As for the Obama camp’s role in this, John Batchelor, who’s pals with rally organizer Malcolm Hoenlein, hints here that they weren’t directly involved in the nastiness because, as usual, they had surrogates willing to do their dirty work for them. Fine. As I say: Let’s find out which Democratic lawyers, precisely, arrived at the very novel legal conclusion that inviting both parties to a rally to which only one party RSVPs amounts to politicking in breach of one’s tax exemption. And then let’s ask St. Barack why he couldn’t find one person on his side — apart from the guy who called Palin a Nazi sympathizer a few weeks ago, of course — willing to speak at this rally to “balance” the ticket.

Exit question: Isn’t there something oddly familiar about all this? Exit answer: Yes there is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If this is necessary and good, why did the fathers not included it? – Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Greetings, Spirit. Recognize that passage? I lifted it from O’Rourke’s Parliament of Whores. I realize his comments were made tongue-in-cheek, althought I’d be harp pressed to argue the bit about “multitudes of offices and swarms of officers” as that about sums up the federal bureaucracy.

In answer to your question I respond that the Founding Fathers, while very wise men indeed, were not infallible and it would not surprise me that, if afforded a glimpse of the current state of affairs, they would scurry back to the convention hall and make some changes.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I know that lorien posted this in another thread, but this post at Wizbang is definitely worth a read.

Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM

You all are looking at this as an attempt to keep Sarah Palin out of the political spot light.

What you should be seeing is The Obama campaign aligning with Iran and attempting to squash an anti-Iranian protest.

rockhauler on September 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Dude. That’s a big swing. – Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Agreed. I question the accuracy of the poll.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Palin has to act like a diplomatic executive who could represent the US.

Palin represents herself, the conservative VPOTUS candidate. As such, she is the diplomatic executive you reference. Her decision on how to handle this situation is not ours to make. We will support her. As the recipient of both the invitation and dis-invitation, she knows more about it than we do.

Of their own accord, the organization proved itself a tool of Putin and anti-American (morons: Putin plays Iran). No surprise, as anything involving Democrats is Fascist, no matter who endorses it as bi-partisan to keep the peace.

“What we have here is a failure to communicate.”

maverick muse on September 20, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Dems politicize everything – and, yes, I question their patriotism. Glad to see Kunst awake to the reality of Democrat TREASON.

T J Green on September 20, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Rockhauler, it is BOTH. They have bullied the jews into disinviting Palin while they celebrate Iran with Pritzker

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 12:19 PM

If Democrats would act like rational adults they might well have a double digit lead right now. – Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Would that “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts! Heh…every day would be Christmas.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Terrye-

so why are the polls going the other way towards Obama?

anniekc on September 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM

rockhauler on September 20, 2008

Exactly!!!! Thank you.

maverick muse on September 20, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Joe Biden hearts Iran. So the GOP VP can’t attend?

econavenger on September 20, 2008 at 12:21 PM

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Morning. Sorry, no I missed the reference.

Point taken, but I think if we implemented one it would have to be qualified for during times of peace. I’d be very hard pressed to find a country that waged war successful without borrowing from other nations or from it’s citizenry – a situation with which they were intimately familar. The only other option, tax the peasants (and the quail), has gone out of style.

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Dude. That’s a big swing.

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Something seems to be up in Florida as well:

It’s not that McCain was beloved, it’s that Obama was “hated” among elderly Jews in the state.

“We need to recognize that here’s a problem,” said State Sen. Steve Geller, the Democratic minority leader in the state senate. “When you’re saying that they just like McCain you’re wrong.”

Geller, who represents parts of Broward County, said he had come close to being chased out of the “condos” – shorthand for retirement communities – when he said he backed Obama.

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:23 PM

that’s McCarthyism Stalinist tactics.

More accurate.

Disturb the Universe on September 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM

so why are the polls going the other way towards Obama?

anniekc on September 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM

I’m not Terrye, but my take is simple:

Watch the news or pick up any paper. I challenge you to find an article that is either:

a) not calling McCain a liar without providing evidence of the same

b) smearing Palin

c) applying any critical analysis to anything related to Obama

d) an Obama surrogate or prominent MSM figure who is not beating the racism drum

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Obama will probably win as some fools in the GOP are so quick to jump on the “she isn’t ready” bandwagon to look so “principled”. The media loves this and it hits the undecideds quite hard. I know of plenty forme fence sitters who are saying that Palin “Should be home with her kids”.

Iran will go nuke and Israel will die while Obama sits on his hands and righteously proclaims that he will not drag America into war over the bodies of dead jews. Well played JTA

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Sarah should give the speech that she would have and make no bones about why she can’t give it at the Iran rally.

Go Sarah!

Mojave Mark on September 20, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Interesting note:

This is only showing up on very few blogs and zero MSM outlets so far.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:26 PM

it’s that Obama was “hated” among elderly Jews

for reasons Obama just doesn’t get

maverick muse on September 20, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Stories like this make me start to lose all faith in the political process in this country. Democrats have clearly identified their enemy and it’s NOT the apocoalyptic nuclear-weapon seeking maniac who has vowed to wipe the stinking corpse of our strongest ally off the earth.

What kind of bad movie did I wake up in? I’m f-ing sick of being called racist for not supporting Barry. I’m f-ing sick of reading about women wanting to vomit and kick things because of Palin. I’m f-ing sick of positive stories about Iraq being buried or ignored while we can read all about Bristol Palin’s uterus on page A1.

How the hell can anyone support such an empty suit like Barry? How the hell can you vote for a guy so morally bankrupt that he let babies die? How can a guy become commander in chief when he couldn’t be bothered to condemn the Betray-us ad and for so long couldn’t bring himself to credit the troops for the surge success?

hump1201 on September 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

should Palin accuse whoever is behind this of “McCarthyism”

jp on September 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Damiano, surely you expected nothing better? The media is part of the O-team and they won a major victory with a little bullying.

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

they must really beleive all their b.s., really think Bush is hitler, etc. If you really beleived all the looney toon stuff, then you could rationalize this.

jp on September 20, 2008 at 12:29 PM

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:23 PM

That’s an interesting read too, thanks. It’s difficult for me to judge the effectiveness of various messages because I’m sure there are divided opinions here as there apparently are in Israel. But I would think what Rudy said at the convention re: Jerusalem undivided/divided would be effective, or Obama – Iran is tiny state, no threat changed to the defining threat, would give American Jewry cause for concern.

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Sarah should give the speech–Mojave Mark

It will be a blockbuster. America wants to hear Sarah!

RNC should secure Ground Zero Memorial for her address.

maverick muse on September 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM

They don’t believe Bush is Hitler, they believe that they will avoid was and be safe if only Israel cooperate and die.

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM

avoid war, not was

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Moreover, debt is vital to investment. When you are young, and just starting out, is it bad to go into debt to finance a home, or start a business, or for education? No. There are times in one’s life when debt enables future prosperity. Should an 80 year old take out a mortgage to buy a McMansion or BMW. Hell no.

Well, what about a country. Is it a 20 something, or an 80 year old? Is it too old to use debt productively, or eternally young if it’s still growing?

Ideally, the budget could always be financed with some debt, if the debt was used to help grow the economy.

Debt isn’t the villain. It’s those who are squandering its potential for good. I never had a sense of the level of soft corruption in our government until now. This Fannie/Freddie/CDO debacle strikes me to the core.

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Agreed. what think you of a presidential line-item veto? I support it, because the president is elected at-large by the electors and therefor represents the interests of the whole nation, whereas the legislators represent only the narrow interests of their state and local constituents.

From a purely local politics point of view, it would also take the heat off of a Representative or Senator whose pet pig project was canned by the C-in-C. He could always say: don’t blame me…I tried to bring home the bacon, but President X vetoed it.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:33 PM

So this is why they wont report the facts on obama! PRESSURE

christene on September 20, 2008 at 12:34 PM

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:32 PM

The poet e.e. cummings once wrote, “A politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat, except a man.”

Disturb the Universe on September 20, 2008 at 12:34 PM

hump1201 on September 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I cannot compete with ManlyRash’s inner Patton, but see page one of this thread for my soap box speech.

Get to work, soldier!

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:35 PM

So this is why they wont report the facts on obama! PRESSURE

christene on September 20, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Sorry. The press is WITH Obama. They distort the news freom Israel every day and make the jews look like the villains. Do you think there is no reason behind it? If Israel is villainous it can be allowed to die with no protest.

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 12:36 PM

that’s McCarthyism Stalinist tactics.

More accurate.

Disturb the Universe on September 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM

should Palin accuse whoever is behind this of “McCarthyism”

jp on September 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Stalinism!

Obama and his entire league of supporters are Stalinists.

maverick muse on September 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Agreed. what think you of a presidential line-item veto?

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:33 PM

It is inexcusable that this hasn’t happened. The President of the United States is the only chief executive of anything that is hobbled in this way.

I firmly believe that this senseless limitation of authority is the biggest reason for the pork barrel spending explosion; outside of the Democratic party and turn coat Republicans.

Want to solve the budget problems- elect McCain and give him line-item veto authority. Problem solved.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Thi is an excellent analysis! NOt surprising at all!

becki51758 on September 20, 2008 at 12:39 PM

rockhauler on September 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Which would make an impressive campaign ad for McCain if he is truly tired of just catching spears.

a capella on September 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM

annie:

You would have to read the piece, but it has to do with you they are talking to and when.

Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Seriously, wtf is going on? Manlyrash I need a damn pep talk. I’m on the verge of boycotting all political news. – hump1201 on September 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Now that you have been broken, you can rebuild yourself and approach the job at hand, having divested yourself of any hope for a fair fight. With apologies to fellow HotAirHeads who have already seen it, I now summon my inner Patton to address you, Hump:

What a thumb-sucking, bed-wetting, sniveler you are. It’s easy to cheer and break out the champagne when we are ahead, but the moment we encounter resistance or – God forbid – lose a battle here and there, you turn into a cheese-eating surrender monkey. *smack* Snap out of it.

All this stuff you’ve heard about Obama ahead in the polls, about McCain losing the election, about the U.S. suddenly becoming the U.S.S.R., is a lot of bullshit, because we – you, me and other conservatives who love our country – are going to fight it. Conservatives traditionally love to fight. All real Conservatives love the sting of battle. We love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Conservatives play to win all the time. I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for any man who lost and laughed. That’s why true Conservatives have never lost and will never lose a political war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Conservatives.

We are advancing constantly and we’re not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We’re going to hold onto them by the nose and we’re going to kick them in the ass. We’re going to kick the hell out of them all the time and, after the debates are over, we’re going to go through them like shit through a goose.

If you really are that feckless and afraid, then do the rest of us who have balls a favor: stay home, curl up under the covers in your bed and dither into your pillows cause it’s only going to get worse in the next four weeks.

If not, then man up, grow a pair and show some courage in the face of enemy fire. There’s one thing that you will be able to say when this election is over and we are victorious. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you’re sitting around your fireside with your grandchildren on your knee and they ask you what did you did in the election of 2008, you won’t have to say, “Well, I sniveled like a child at HotAir.”

Victory will be ours if we only fight for it.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I can’t improve on your comment. I would just note the practice of this in Wasilla. Citizens voted on a bond for sports arena, and Gibson goes – but, but you didn’t leave the city in the black.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I think it’s unconstitutional in principle because it alters the checks and balances (yeah, a lot of conservatives disagree with me) and that it moves the office of the executive toward more of a parliamentary system, ie with legislative responsibilities. But I think it could be made to be constitutional if after a bill were lined it was approved by Congressional vote. But that could be done right now with effectiveness if the executive used his veto pen more. However, if things that are added with out congressional vote, I think should be able to be struck down individually by the executive. Sorry to nuance my answer, but that’s my view.

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Little OT, but a worthwhile read:

Daniel Henninger:

You say Sarah Palin doesn’t have enough “experience” to run Washington? Washington is barely fit to be run.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM

That should be who they are talking to. I have got to start using preview.

Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:32 PM

P.J.O’Rourke had it about right.

a capella on September 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM

The problem with her showing up in the crowd is that some left wing feminazi could stick a knife in her. She can no longer be in a crowd because of the lefties.
What a horrible world we live in.

Wherever she is and wherever she speaks, on Monday, at a campaign rally, she should simply deliver the speech she was going to give at the protest. She would be covered by at least fox.

Bambi on September 20, 2008 at 12:45 PM

That’s a great idea. Hopefully she will. Solidarity in spirit is a great gesture.

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Manly Rush:

My point is that you seem to assume that most Americans are idiots who can be lead around by the noses by a compliant press and a demagogic candidate. I am saying that if the Democrats had been less heavy handed and rancorous they might be doing better. That link to Wizbang I mentioned even talks about this.

Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I think a well-intentioned President cannot operate effectively these days without the active support and involvement of the citizens. If the President vetoes an entire appropriation because it contains some pork, he’s vilified in the press for “shutting down the gov’t.” And the people generally fall for that.

The more complex and enormous the federal government and the economy become, the more crucial it is that people watch what is happening and speak up. The problem is, of course, that it is already to complex to understand. The 4th estate, needed now more than ever perhaps, is leading us to ruin by abandoning it’s constitutional role.

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Spirit of 1776 on September 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Excellent point. For his part, the Chief Executive can simply veto the bill, strike out the parts he doesn’t like and return it to Congress. Ultimately, it becomes a game of chicken, but at least the Prez has the bully pulpit and make his case to the American people.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Point well taken, Terrye. I read the Wizbang piece early this AM and even forwarded it to Ed to post on this site.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM

If you notice, this is the entire argument of the Democratic Party. They never talk about what legislation they passed (since they haven’t passed any) nor about why it didn’t pass. They blame Bush.

The fact is that Bush likely would not have vetoed half of what he has (which is far less than most Presidents BTW) if it were completely load with Democratic special interest language and spending.

Enter the liberal MSM and you have Bush the Impaler.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

What we are witnessing is not so much an election, but an actual war in the media. They are trying to be the fourth branch of government to push Obama into the White House.

This behavior by Obama, his campaign, and the MSM will not be combatted through the media. The war needs to be taken to the offices of the different media organizations.

The Dems are going medieval and if Independents and Republicans and Democrats who have any decency do not hit the streets and fight against this power grab, they only have themselves to blame.

This is now a war due to the extreme tactics of the Democrats, the Obama campaign in particular.

Sapwolf on September 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Warning: Do not read if you are a worrier.

The Drumbeat

By William Staneski
American Thinker

Loxodonta on September 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Obama is doing the media equivalent of dragging people out of their beds in the middle of the night.

Sapwolf on September 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM

The 4th estate, needed now more than ever perhaps, is leading us to ruin by abandoning it’s constitutional role. – JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Other than the first amendment protections, I’m unaware of any role assigned to the 4th estate by the constitution. What they have abandoned are their scruples, ethics and principles.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:55 PM

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Look at Bush’s record. That’s precisely what he has done. The problem is that the Democrats patently refuse to rework anything. They want their way (loaded with crap) or nothing at all (gain the political bitching point).

Just look at Pelosi and Reid with energy.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:55 PM

P.J.O’Rourke had it about right.

a capella on September 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Theirs is a Satanist civics. They will sell their souls in the belief that government can heal the sick, raise the dead, make the old feel young, and make the young go out and vote. They hate our freedom. The part of our freedom that they hate the most is our free market capitalism. But capitalism is one of the most important inventions in human history. If it weren’t for debt and equity, all of the innovators, manufacturers, and businessmen who have brought prosperity to the free world would have to get their money the way the rest of us do—by asking their wives.

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Bush the Impaler. – Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I like the sound of that. If only…

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:57 PM

annie:

Here is part of DJ’s explanation from his post:

So, put it all together, and in the past week Obama has stayed steady or lost support in every party identification group, yet Gallup says his overall support went up four points. And McCain stayed steady or went up in every party identification group, yet we are supposed to accept the claim that his overall support went down by four points? Anyone have an answer for how that is even possible?

Well, actually I do. There is one, and only one, possible way that such a thing can happen mathematically. And that way, is that Gallup made major changes to the political affiliation weighting from the last week to now. Gallup has significantly increased the proportional weight of Democrat response and reduced the weight of Republican response. Bear in mind that this assumes that people change the foundation of their political opinion like a showgirl changes costumes, which has no scientific basis or historical support whatsoever. As I said earlier, the Gallup Organization is very much a professional polling agency, who tries their level best to gauge the national mood. That, after all, is why I chose to use their poll for my examination. I could do the same thing with any other of the major published polls, and I can tell you straight-up that I would find the same practice going on everywhere. But just because something is popular, does not validate it as a scientific method. Rather than report the rising and falling levels of support for Obama and McCain with constant party identification weighting, the Gallup and other polls are shifting the party weights over time, which pretty explains how the ‘bounce’ happens for each convention. When the Democrats held their convention, the polls increased the weight of Democrats and lowered the Republican response, and when the Republicans had their convention, the polls gave the Republicans more weight. That’s why Palin made such an immediate difference in the polls; the Liberals were not all that impressed with her, but the Republicans were happy and with a bigger share of the weight their response was magnified. I can’t prove it, since the Gallup people do not invite me into their strategy meetings, but I think somewhere they are weighting the party ID by the mood as they see it. The problem there, is that such weighting is still very subjective, and what’s more it fails to consider that someone may consider themselves a member of one party with respect to the House and Senate races, but something else entirely when it comes to voting for the President. The state of Oklahoma, for example, is a very Democratic place, but it’s pretty solid for McCain, just as it was for Bush. So weighting a presidential poll for party identification on the basis of how they think someone will vote for Congress, is going to miss the mark.

Terrye on September 20, 2008 at 12:58 PM

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Perhaps not entirely on topic, but worth sharing:

“In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.” – Orson Welles in The Third Man

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 1:00 PM

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I was only referring to the various and varying shield laws that the press enjoys–even “recognized” by the Supreme Court.

They’re given a protection to allow them to report the TRUTH about government corruption. What they do is hide behind that to hide their own corruption.

We need a 5th estate.

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I’ve been rading about how Iran hates “Israel” but NOT “the jewish people”. I think American jews have decided to give up the fight, allow our brothers and sisters to die, and believe that we will be left in peace.

They say “Never Again” but they really don’t mean it

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Sapwolf on September 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

You have put more concisely what I have been screaming about for weeks.

Ladies and gentlemen, we cannot win this by playing a superior chess game. We are against and opponent who is simply ignoring the rules of chess, flipping the board onto the floor and screaming “Checkmate!” while his adoring fans applaud his unearned victory.

We have to fight these people on an organized, grassroots level and, individually and as a group, start fighting guerrilla warfare with guerrilla warfare.

Anyone who is anywhere near an Obama rally needs to go and start a protest INSIDE THE BUILDING. Just look at what a dozen people accomplished yesterday. The same needs to be done to every newspaper and MSM outlet.

We have been waiting for McCain to pick up the fight while we sit around blogging about it.

Time for action. If we just sit here blogging all day, the nutroots maintain their advantage and we are ignored.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 1:06 PM

This is not even an election anymore. It’s a feud. Maybe on it’s way towards low intensity violent conflict. This will not end well.

ronsfi on September 20, 2008 at 12:04 PM

The tree of Liberty must be watered(paraphrased)…

Benjamin9 on September 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM

From a comment on the JTA site:

The OTHER invitation should have gone to Senator Biden or else Senator Obama. We would have had support from both tickets, a powerful symbol to Iran about American unity and seriousness regarding its annihilationist, Nazi threats towards Israel.

Good question. The NBC story linked says Clinton was confirmed “months ago,” but when she cancelled:

The organizers reached out to the Obama campaign for the first time Wednesday morning, asking Joe Biden to speak to balance Palin, but in the end the decision was made to not allow political candidates at the event at all, the organizer said.

Obviously the Obama campaign refused, and NBC doesn’t have the honesty to say it.

I’d say Hillary cancelled because she would have been overshadowed by Palin, who’s drawing enthusiastic crowds, and NYC would be no exception. That put the Obama campaign on the spot — and I believe there’s no way in hell either Obama or Biden wants to be seen criticizing Iran, for, ahem, financial reasons. So Obama’s people contacted someone to put the screws to the Conference of Presidents through the NJDC to get rid of Palin to cover their arses.

The Conference just shot itself in the foot big time by caving. There are an awful lot of NYC Christians and Republicans that would have turned out Monday. Not now.

And anyone who insists that Palin should “show up anyhow” is being illogical — you don’t send candidates where they aren’t wanted. It’s a setup for a political ambush.

Nichevo on September 20, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Loxodonta on September 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Thanks. That site is part of my daily reading, but hadn’t read it yet today. Yes, I feel like that too.

A friend said something encouraging about this. He reminded me of two things. First, the military is a red state institution. Second, per Toffler, and our own observations, the rate of change seems nearly asymptotic–zooming off the charts into infinity. But so is the rate of solutions. We careen right to the very edge of oblivion (ex. the recent financial crisis) and then when all appears lost, we fashion just as quickly a solution.

The possibility is for great and unanticipated change, the type impossible to foresee. The only thing is, who knows whether it will be bad or good.

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 1:11 PM

The tree of Liberty must be watered(paraphrased)… – Benjamin9 on September 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Indeed, sir. Indeed.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 1:11 PM

We need a 5th estate. – JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 1:00 PM

At the rate we’re going, we will need something. Lately, I am inclined to Mr. Jefferson’s statement on the matter. Perhaps a revolution now and then really is a healthy thing.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Thanks for snapping me out of it ManlyRash. If anyone wants to stop by for dinner I’m going to be grilling up some Obamatrons. Brownshirt wannabe pot smkin race obsessed surrender monkey sons of bitches. Not on HotAir’s watch will they ruin this country that we love.

hump1201 on September 20, 2008 at 1:16 PM

What they have abandoned are their scruples, ethics and principles.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Yes, the press have done that. And as a result, a majority of the public questions if the media can be trusted. However, a majority still gets their “news” from these biased sources.

We need alternatives.

The bigger problem is that most of our national institutions, other than the military, are also operating with compasses that are entirely narcissistic or missing, and are also distrusted by the public. So, it seems we have nowhere to turn for help.

Except to ourselves.

Good people in this world have overcome immorality before, even against great odds. Therefore, we simply must keep at it, in every aspect of our lives, in all we say and do.

I have faith in human nature, even with all our imperfections, that good eventually always triumphs over evil.

Loxodonta on September 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Loxodonta on September 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM

I admire your sentiment and your optimism. I must, however, point out that we are fighting a political machine that recognizes no limits, and opponent that believes he has been selected by divine destiny, 24/7 media outlets that have given up all shreds of decency or attempts at actual journalism and 45% of the country who have become seriously mentally deranged.

Meanwhile, we’re talking and praying amongst ourselves that everything will turn out all right.

There’s an old saying that I am very fond of, even though it does not fit with my personal beliefs:

God helps those who help themselves.

We are losing folks. Accept that reality and help to actively work to change it.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM

When our political system is no longer representing the people and acting in obviously criminal ways, what are we to do?
When gov no longer represents us, what choice do we have?
By God, if this story is not splashed all over FOX news by Monday, and or on liberty loving radio Monday, we will have let the rats off the hook! Otherwise, a way of life that has been the way of life for 3 centuries has taken one of its last breaths.

I do not intend to sit and watch this shit happens. Palin put through the meat grinder while MSM wipes his ass! F#%K that!
We need to help move this story to the spot light now.

Benjamin9 on September 20, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM

American is a state-of-mind, not a nationality. Many people here don’t share it, many abroad do. This has to be sorted out somehow.

JiangxiDad on September 20, 2008 at 1:32 PM

The media are quiet about this. And if they do not report it, and why would they as they support Obama, many will believe that this is just a right wing hoax. We have already lost due to media complicity.

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM

The Drumbeat
By William Staneski
American Thinker

Loxodonta on September 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for that Loxodonta. Great essay. But this comment hits it all right on the money, and I thought the HA crowd should see it. Thanks to Bill and Highball for laying it out so well.

The drumbeat is there, Bill, and Obama is the messiah of its clarion call. If elected he will be the first fully trained marxist president in our country’s history. This is the uncovered story of the coming assault on the final bastions of Western tradition. David Horowitz’s ‘Discover the Network’s’ website is the place to start for anyone who wants a primer on the well shielded Obama. Horowitz’s many writings, Whitaker Chambers’ book “Witness” and Eric Hoffer’s “The True Believer” are good places for understanding socialism and the cult of personality (of which the rise of Obama is an example of) and the tragic consequences for freedom and human dignity. Obama’s every political and social contact has been to further the “long march through the institutions” as the Italian communist theoretician, Antonio Gramsci predicted would be necessary to achieve world Socialist dominion. Obama has advisors from the most forward socialist thinking groups in our country. This is no joke to me anymore considering this man would have ultimate control of America’s most carefully guarded intelligence. The rise of socialist leaders in Central and South America is doubly troubling.
Gramsci concluded, in his “Prison Diaries”, while incarcerated in the 20′s, that Communism could not occur, and was meeting huge resistance, in the western industrialized nations because of “cultural hegemony”. The dominant culture in these nations was resistant to “CHANGE” because of widely held social morés and cultural institutions. These institutions; the Church, marriage and the family, the educational “system”, the government and the courts, the capitalist class and the success of free markets in alleviating some of the hardships of material life all made socialist revolution difficult.
The difficulty was made worse because even the outcasts in society such as the prison populations, minority (multicultural) populations, women in patriarchal domination at that time, and political and cultural radicals (read Jews, Gypsies, bohemians) today comparable to Beatniks, Hippies, Punks, anarchists, all of these groups and others measured themselves socially and economically against the greater society at large.
How could communism remake society if everyone in it were judging themselves according to the system itself? Gramsci proposed “the Long March” theories to infiltrate the institutions and alter, weaken, “change” and in some cases destroy them in order to allow the progress of Socialism (Communism) to occur. This is the essence of the “culture wars”
If you look at any area of Western society it is under direct attack attack, primarily from leftist agitators in the government, the media, the church, the courts, education and entertainment. The distinctly American experience in the evolution of democracy and freedom is being usurped by the trend towards government control of every aspect of society, including the presidency.

Posted by: Highball | September 20, 2008 04:08 AM

techno_barbarian on September 20, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I don’t accept that proposition at all.

Damiano! Is that really you? What happened in the last hour? Where did all your passion go? There are people depending on you. We really need your passion to be put to good use from now through November 4th. So:

Stand up!

Stand up!

Stand up and fight!

Nothing is inevitable here!

We’re Americans, and we never give up! We never quit!

We never hide from history! We make history!

Loxodonta on September 20, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I live close enough to go on Monday. Was planning on it then decided to boycott the event due to this smack at my values. Would going with a “where’s Palin?” sign be at all beneficial?

I doubt it.

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Seems Obanunism is inevitable. The banking crisis was engineered by the lib mortgage industry and not the gov’t controls it and AIG. Next will be a health insurance crisis and the govt will own that. What America will not vote for will be placed atop them by a series of crises and “bailouts”

The events of this week say we have been outmaneuvered, first in the mortgage crisis, now with the threat of IRS sanctions and penalties. If entire religious agencies can be bullied, what will happen to individuals?

If you speak too loudly, what will happen to you?

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I doubt it.

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM

It might catch you some flak, but you’d be making a very good point in an effective venue. Small things matter.

You should go. After all, this really isn’t about Palin or Clinton. It’s about rejecting Ahmamadjihadi and standing up against the destruction of Israel and the Jews. This other stuff is just a sideshow that hijacked the original intent.

techno_barbarian on September 20, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I am sure all of you have already read this, but I thought I might refer to this article because it is another way to expose THE ONE and his Thugs in regards to the Iranian issue. http://noiri.blogspot.com/2008/07/obama-repeating-carter-disaster.html It certainly would be a good place for Palin to start if she attends the alternative protest. Carter retreads and truly inexperienced foreign policy wonkers and wonkettes, do not bring success for Iran, the U.S. or the world for that matter. McCain’s people need to be screaming about this incident and just WHO is behind Obama, and in particular how those around him are seen via the afore mentioned article.

“There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.” So saith James Madison in 1788. Congress this week has shown that they have silently become so corrupt and so dangerous to our freedoms that they surely are a threat. Between the financial scandals, and this outrageous act by someone in Congress, we must demand an investigation. Manly Rash is correct in his vociferous advocation of our fighting, and fighting hard for action, and to make sure Obama does not win this election. However, we must push for those of our own party to also be ushered out of Congress if they have participated in illegal actions, or any actions such as those that have been revealed this week. We the people must demand justice, and for those responsible for this Iran ordeal to be brought out into the light of day.

I firmly believe there are many who do not get their news from television, but instead turn to the internet. I would offer Obama’s railings against the internet as evidence that the internet poses a tremendous threat to him, and his goal of becoming POTUS. I doubt seriously anyone in the MSMLSD grouping is going to discuss this story. So, I think we all had best be spreading the word via the internet. If it becomes a large enough issue here, or as some would say “viral” then perhaps Fox would pick this up. But if you truly value your citizenship in the greatest country in the world, I suggest you do something to spread the word. We MUST stand up and FIGHT!

freeus on September 20, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Loxodonta on September 20, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Oh… nothing has happened. I am fired up, angry and out to stomp hippies and journalist under the mighty boot of Democracy.

My point is only this: everyone needs to recognize that the left has the bully pulpit and we’ve been underestimating their resolve. We’ve dismissed them as irrelevant nutcases and lost sight of the fact that it is nutcases who are the most dangerous. Have you ever seen a sane ax murderer? When was the last time you saw a massive Conservative protest rally?

The folks who are lined up with the picket signs will vote in droves and will make our lives a living hell along the way as much as possible.

Do not underestimate our enemy. We have become complacent in the belief that the right will triumph over ignorance while the left has already usurped the media, the Congressional majority and is halfway to the White House.

Do not mistake my assessment of the enemy’s strength as a lack of resolve. It is quite the opposite.

What I find disconcerting is that our side has been dismissive of the facts all around us.

-The media slanders one of our own and we blog about it for a few hours and forget it.

- The polls shift and we resort to dismissing them as inaccurate

- The left cries racism and we say that no one will listen.

We are on the right side and our beliefs and ideas are more powerful than any force on earth, yet we are becoming complacent in our belief that things will work out okay without standing up and beating down the opposition.

History is flush with events were the right ideas were trampled by fanatics. We understand that we must take the fight to terrorist who oppose our ideas, yet we have tolerated Marxists and fanatics who now control our airwaves and are marching their corrupt dictator straight to the White House.

We need to take the fight to our opposition or we risk losing all we believe in.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Any one else near NYC care to join me on Monday. Maybe I can even cook up some lipstick on Ahmadenijad signs?

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I hear & read comments like this nearly everyday now, for every person quoted with these feeling how many more thousands have quietly resigned themselves to voting M/P or not voting this time around?

Every democrat candidate in my lifetime has had a 20 point lead in the polls at this point in the campaign, only one has taken the white house without the assistance of a strong third candidate.

This is a much bigger implosion than most think…and they’re using their own rope to hang themselves.

Dorvillian on September 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I doubt it.

clnurnberg on September 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Do not underestimate the power of one voice.

GO!

Find every media camera you can and start telling the reporter your views!

That is the story that they will be looking for. The left has taken advantage of the media consistently in this manner. Just the other night, 2 papers reported on the same single voice of dissent from a crowd of 3000+ at the McCain/ Palin townhall meeting for the sole reason that it fed the insatiable gossip machine.

GO! Make yourself and the voice of dissent heard.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM

techno_barbarian on September 20, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I agree that it’s about Ahmamadjihadi; but thanks to the Obama Camp, it’s also about partisanship and fighting back against their Marxism/ McCarthyism.

The jews don’t want us… fine. We can support their cause from afar this time. That doesn’t mean that we should excuse their spinelessness and not utilize the opportunity to speak out against Obama’s tactics.

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Dorvillian on September 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Yup. It’s wonderful to see this… BUT DON’T GET COMPLACENT!

Look at the hypocritical Clintons. No one was more against Obama in the past 2 years, but they buckled to party politics.

Let’s not pat ourselves on the back for victory over a single person, let’s ensure that we use that advantage to garner more support.

Write these Democrats and thank them! Praise their decision to support values and logic over party! Ask them for their help in broadening the fight!

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Instead of a presidential line-item veto, how about this:

No bill shall contain more than one subject, and the subject shall be clearly expressed in the title.

Article III-14 from the constitution of the state of Nebraska.

electric-rascal on September 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM

This election needs to be won, and probably will be–as a ‘rear guard action’, delaying the enemy’s advance rather than defeating it. Today in America it’s Rome in the 200s ( not yet the early 300s A.D. ; that’s coming soon )

The barbarians are all around us, and increasing numbers are inside the borders. They’re not being “Romanized” any more; Romans ( us ) are becomming more like barbarians.

Historical analogies are inherently flawed, but comparing use to Rome two or three generations after Marcus Aurelius works fairly well ( Bill Clinton as Commodus )

Winning a ‘rear guard action’ is bittersweet, just as winning this election will be: you know you did a good and necessary thing ( and losing would be Seriously Bad ), but you also know that what you are fighting for is probably doomed. Maybe not, but probably so.

Meanwhile, it’s time for Drastic Action against the media

Janos Hunyadi on September 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM

terrye-
Thank you for posting that for me, I had suspicions of stacked polling since the beginning of all this, but am trying hard not to be overly optimistic about the elections outcome.

I absolutely see the logic behind propping up Obama’s numbers- those students and celebrity lovers will never trouble themselves to vote if they don’t think they’re going with a “winner”

anniekc on September 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM

45% of the country who have become seriously mentally deranged. – Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM

My analysis of the electorate places it on a spectrum from left to right, with the battlefield for Republicans resting over approximately 40% of the electorate. The real idiots are the ones in the middle. What do think?

5% – Moonbats and the BDS/PDS afficted

10% – Hard left; doctrinaire liberals

15% – Generally left-leaning; mainstream Democrats

17% – Left-leaning moderates; susceptible to Drive-By media influence

6% – Utterly clueless; the idiots who decide close elections

17% – Right-leaning moderates, susceptible to Drive-By media influence

15% – Generally right-leaning; mainstream Republicans

10% – Hard right; very conservative; doctrinaire Reaganites

5% – Paulnuts, uber-libertarians; assorted Bircher wing-nuts

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Your categories sound as good or better than anyone else’s, but the Other Factor in winning elections is INTENSITY

Half of those who could vote, don’t: confused or demoralized or conflicted, they sit it out. We’re the only nation that votes on a work day, so for most people voting means stopping by before or after work. That just makes Not Voting easier to accomplish

The media know this ( they took Poli Sci in J-School ) and a lot of what they do is an attempt to demoralize and befuddle ‘weak Republicans’: people who will vote Repub if they vote, but are likely to not vote if not ENERGIZED

That’s why Palin is so important–and why the media have made it Job One to tear her down

Janos Hunyadi on September 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM

crap: reversed the Quote Thing again

Janos Hunyadi on September 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Paid for by the “A Woman Vice President Committee” and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
PO Box 984, Willows, CA 95988

COLLECTING DONATIONS @ DRUDGE!

Who wants to bet the above “Committee” has no plans to help Palin, but themselves and even Obama?

maverick muse on September 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM

When was the last time you saw a massive Conservative protest rally?

23,000 pro-McCain/Palin folks in Fairfax, VA two weeks ago…..during the workday.

Let’s Roll!

ex-Democrat on September 20, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Damiano on September 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

I am in complete agreement, friend and fellow Texan Damiano. My point was only that the original intent of the protest not be deterred in anyway, simply because the pols have decided to show their asses.

BTW, I sent you a message last night that got lost in the aether and didn’t post.

Good luck to you in rebuilding after the buisiness partner disaster. Been there. Done that. More than once. School of Hard Knocks is the most effective educational institution in existance.

You’re going to bounce back with a vengence. Your passion and willingness to work will insure your success. I’m pulling for you.

Texas is the last economy to slow down and the first one to pick up. Been here for 30 years and we’re on our way back up right now.

Hang in there and thanks for fighting the good fight and inspiring others to do the same. And welcome to HA! There’s much promise in the latest crop of new posters.

If you haven’t seen it already, here’s one of my humble attempts at fighting back at the marxist Obambi.

techno_barbarian on September 20, 2008 at 3:21 PM

If Obama wins, then Orwell will have only been wrong by 25 years.

Hawthorne on September 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM

*channeling the Drive-By Media*

Nothing to see here, folks. This isn’t the story you are interested in. Go back to your homes and watch the network news: there is is plenty of scandal surrounding the former mayor of Wasilla. Move along…move along.

ManlyRash on September 20, 2008 at 11:07 AM

“In the fictional universe of Star Wars, a Jedi mind trick is a Force power. Jedi who know the power can, by using the Force, influence the actions of other “weak-minded” sentient beings. – Wikipedia

Mr_Magoo on September 20, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Looking down the road, is there a possibility of red states breaking off and seceding from the union?

NOTE to Palin: If you did show up at rally, RAIL against Shiria (spelling?) Law where women are stoned to death for adultery or trumped up false charges of adultery. The event should be a place for Palin and women to speak up for the rights of women in the world.

Sapwolf on September 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM