Quotes of the day

posted at 9:52 pm on September 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

“The problem, as far as our political process is concerned, is that half the electorate revels in Palin’s lack of intellectual qualifications. When it comes to politics, there is a mad love of mediocrity in this country. ‘They think they’re better than you!’ is the refrain that (highly competent and cynical) Republican strategists have set loose among the crowd, and the crowd has grown drunk on it once again. ‘Sarah Palin is an ordinary person!’ Yes, all too ordinary…

Ask yourself: how has ‘elitism’ become a bad word in American politics? There is simply no other walk of life in which extraordinary talent and rigorous training are denigrated. We want elite pilots to fly our planes, elite troops to undertake our most critical missions, elite athletes to represent us in competition and elite scientists to devote the most productive years of their lives to curing our diseases. And yet, when it comes time to vest people with even greater responsibilities, we consider it a virtue to shun any and all standards of excellence. When it comes to choosing the people whose thoughts and actions will decide the fates of millions, then we suddenly want someone just like us, someone fit to have a beer with, someone down-to-earth—in fact, almost anyone, provided that he or she doesn’t seem too intelligent or well educated.

I believe that with the nomination of Sarah Palin for the vice presidency, the silliness of our politics has finally put our nation at risk.”

***
“[T]he accusation here is not really that Palin lacks experience; it is that she lacks the right experience. She attended the University of Idaho, entered a beauty contest, joined the NRA and a church where people speak in tongues and was elected to govern a state with few Starbucks. Obama rose quickly from Columbia to Harvard Law, taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago and joined the most exclusive club in America, the Senate. Even with no governing experience, he can claim what might be called ‘elite experience.’ And this is enough for elitists…

Americans who support Palin are not fools, peasants or theocrats. They have reasons, which elites may not agree with, but cannot dismiss. Many are attracted to her because she embodies the values of the American West, which they find superior to the values of coastal elites. This was part of the appeal of Goldwater and Reagan—a log-splitting, range-riding conservatism that emphasizes freedom. (Palin adds moose hunting to the list.) It’s not irrational or simplistic for voters to prefer candidates who reflect their deepest values…

Elitists can be badly wrong. Populists can be resoundingly right. It is values that often make the difference.”

***
“‘What we’re seeing in both campaigns is a fierce determination to win and that principles don’t matter,’ said Heather Mac Donald, a social conservative thinker at the free market Manhattan Institute. ‘There is a lot of populist demagoguery.’…

‘The implosion of anger against anyone – heaven forbid – being elite or having experience that isn’t moose-hunting makes me uncomfortable,’ Mac Donald said. ‘There is no question that I would have preferred someone with business experience in the White House.’…

Mac Donald is considering voting for Obama, even though she fears he is also underqualified. ‘I go back and forth on it. I would not rule it out,’ she said.”

***
“Why does Sarah Palin energize all of us who don’t belong to the gilded leftwing circle? Because she’s us. We sat beside her in class. We hung out after school (might’ve even shared a backseat combat zone on prom night). And now she lives next door, raising her kids.

For the first time since Ronald Reagan, our last great president, we, the people, see a chance that one of us might have a voice in governing our country…

So here’s the message Palin is sending on behalf of the rest of us (the down-market masses Dems love at election time and ignore once the voting’s done): The rule of the snobs is over. It’s time to give one of us a chance to lead.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The The Obama was a Constitutional professor?

He reveals little of that knowledge but supremely details his knowledge of the works by Karl Marx.

jukin on September 21, 2008 at 2:26 PM

What about all the evil rich people? Surely they give money to Republicans? No, they don’t.

Here are the twenty seven largest individual political contributors. Twenty of them are Democrats, including the top four. Democrats in bold.

Steven Bing D $4,850,0002

Jackson T Stephens Jr R $350,000

Quinn Delaney & Wayne Jordan Family D $309,000

Pat Stryker D $300,000

Sara Morgan D RetiredHouston, TX$300,000

Richard Scruggs D $300,000

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I am embarrassed to even converse with you anymore.

You are not “conversing” with me NOW. And what do you mean, “anymore”. What was your name the last time we met?

You used to be a much better debater.

Even without knowing your previous name, I’m confident that you were always an empty headed troll.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Facts are a bitch, eh, fascists?

The facts say that you are the party of the corrupt and wealthy overclass. Which is what makes you, well, fascists.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Or was that “Phon’y’tically speaking, of course.”
Just a play on words…?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM

and I gave you entirely too much credit for understanding a “workin’ man on the telofon”…?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM

You and Janos will keep me honest…?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM

As a working man, I was just expecting that you would do that on your own.

See. It’s easy. Just answer questions. It doesn’t hurt. Go ahead, try it.

Are you still contemplating my earlier questions, or are you deliberately avoiding them for some unforeseen reason?

Just in case you forgot:

Yes, I actually think Sarah has many fine qualities;

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Such as?

however, I don’t believe she’s qualified to be President.

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Obama is qualified for president because: ?

(This is your chance to shine)

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Government by Democrats is government by the rich, of the rich, for the rich. The facts don’t lie, fascists. Deal with it.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:44 PM

“I am simple trying to find out if he is willing to respond civilly when he is treated civilly.
csdeven on September 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM

csd_, I’m attempting to give it my best civil and provincial “fellow well met”.

However; when one is continually referred to as a troll, idiot and fascist, that bends the boundaries of comity and aggravates the personal mental abuse of my character. and that of others.

All the while I understand and am aware that one must understand the inadequacies, inferiority complexes and personality disorders of some posters here.

I therefore; with that cognizance established, will continue to accept such vacuous insults and innuendo with perseverance, out of respect to the mission and the commitment to carry on in a disciplined and soldierly manner.

I appreciate your indulgence and concern…!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM

LOL! The stupid troll still refused to answer the question!

It also whined about the fact that it gets called names, while (as usual) calling other people names.

And you have to love the faux intellectual prose style. “Gee, maybe if I say things like ‘comity’ I can pass myself off as something other than an oaf”.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Well, Mr Fascist? I’m still waiting for you to back up your earlier lies with a link of some sort. You know, that lie about how F+F really (wink, wink) support McCain and not Obama.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:53 PM

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Did you answer my question about Sarah being capable?

csdeven on September 21, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Salty_ in the great Book of Blog Etiquette in which chapter and verse is it written…

“One who is addressed and does not adequately respond; must forever and in kind and in exquisite memorial, be carved in stone and furthermore be labeled a dullard, idiot and foremost of all a despicable troll”.

Where…?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Fascists like to ask questions, they just don’t like to answer them.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:08 PM

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Come on flenser, that’s unkind, you all know I’m a country boye…!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Well, since Mr Fascist has implicitly conceded the point, we can conclude that Senator Teleprompter is in fact the tool of wealthy business interests, especially including Fannie and Freddy.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Just as more hippies have been waterboarded than actual terrorists I have observed thats its mainly Republicans who use the phrase “rube”, usually in the midst of a pity party they’re throwing for themselves.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:10 PM

No, you’re not a country boy. They tend to be somewhat smart. You strike me as the sort of intellectual eunuch typically found in our large cities, those dungheaps of stupidity. In fact you’re so stoopid that I wouldn’t be surprised if you worked in some sort of college.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Whats wrong with working in a college? A job’s a job.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM

You might want to get your eyes checked, aengus. The first mention of “rube” on this page came from you.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Whats wrong with working in a college?

It means taking normal, healthy minds and bending and warping them into uselessness.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:17 PM

flenser,

I’m wearing my glasses at the moment thanks.

An Ivy League degree is a de facto title of nobility, and the more our self-appointed betters look down their noses at us, the more we rubes resent it. if they keep it up, we might not just put McCain in the White House, but John Boehner in the Speaker’s chair alongside Palin for his first SotU address.

The Monster on September 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Harry Truman also was often regarded as a rube also by elitists. Yet he was far greater as a man and as a leader than the empty suit currently masquerading as the Democratic nominee.

Edouard on September 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:21 PM

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Ouch, that one hurt, didn’t it Prof’…?

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:17 PM

That one too!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Ouch, that one hurt, didn’t it Prof’…?

Hahaha. Mostly technical subjects are taught where I work. Not a lot of opportunity to slip ideology into classes like engineering and pharmaceutical production.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I confess to not having read through the discussion thread but I am grateful that, as of this week, we can all finally put to rest the contemporary myth that only Ivy League-educated, eastern seaboard-experienced people are really knowledgeable enough to run this country.

Because all those Ivy League educated lawyers, bankers and economists literally ran it into the ground.

This week may proven to be the best case for Sarah Palin yet. Real-world, common sense, results-oriented, no Barbra Streisand.

BigD on September 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I see that Mr Fascist is still dodging the question. Now there’s a shock …

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:21 PM

So you scanned through four pages of comments here to find two “rubes”, and you think you have a useful data set? I suggest you wander over to some of the left-wing blogs.

“Rubes” is one of the nicest things they say about their enemies. If that was the worst they said about Palin we’d have no complaints.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Clearly you have never experienced an American college.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:26 PM

You could always emphasize the necessity for a “green approach” to new engineering concepts in the 21st century…!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I see that Mr Fascist is still dodging the question. Now there’s a shock …

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM

You’re carryin’ a rather large chip around there, flenser, which one of your attributes does it compliment”

“…I understand and am aware that [we] must understand the [personal] inadequacies, inferiority complexes and personality disorders of some posters here.”

Well…flenser?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM

No, I recall seeing the word being used repeatedly in many threads. I only scanned through this one because you were acting like I had imagined it.

I admire the classy way Palkin handles her detractors. Contrast that with the hateful sense of self-pity that Peters promotes.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Where…?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I have little expertise on this subject, but I believe it is common knowledge, like look both ways before crossing the street, and killing babies is murder etc.

Again, I’ve no problem answering your questions, but when you pretend we’re having a two way conversation, yet refuse to answer in return (to two sincere and honest questions), you become irrelevant to any meaningful discussion.

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Clearly you have never experienced an American college.

Well I was shocked to learn that in America generally forensics students do not wear white coats during a post-mortem (autopsy). I even saw one student wearing a baseball cap. This is, I feel, disrepectful to the deceased. I have no idea if this practice is due to liberal principles but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I don’t know who Peters is, so it’s hard to comment on his alleged fostering of self-pity. But it’s hardly newsworthy that the Democrats are pouring some outrageous abuse on Palin, nor is it ‘self-pity” to point out their dishonesty, hypocrisy, and general scumminess of character. More to the point, it’s astounding that you react to complaints about hate by calling the complainers hateful.

Darn those hateful Jews anyway, always complaining about Hitler.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 4:07 PM

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Dammit Prof’… cut it out already. You’re distributing with relentless retribution, bothe mental and physical abuse to indefensible subjects…!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Well…flenser?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Well, Mr Fascist? You have a number of outstanding questions which you have somehow not gotten around to answering.

One was explaining what, exactly, are Obama’s qualifications to be President of the United States.

Another was digging up the link to that lying left-wing website which was the source for your dishonest claim that Freddy and Fannie contributed more to McCain than to Obama.

Get to it, Goebbels.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I see that Mr Fascist is still dodging the question. Now there’s a shock …

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Ralph Peters. He wrote the fourth article quoted above.

But it’s hardly newsworthy that the Democrats are pouring some outrageous abuse on Palin, nor is it ’self-pity” to point out their dishonesty, hypocrisy, and general scumminess of character. More to the point, it’s astounding that you react to complaints about hate by calling the complainers hateful.

The most critical article quoted above is by Heather MacDonald who is conservative and not a Democrat. While I don’t agree with her, her article is not unfair or abusive.

Darn those hateful Jews anyway, always complaining about Hitler.

That is a ridiculous comparison. You are not being persecuted by the force of Democratic opinion. You sound like Ralph Peters here.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 4:14 PM

“Darn those hateful Jews anyway, always complaining about Hitler.
flenser on September 21, 2008 at 4:07 PM

flenser, what the hell has that comment got to do with anything we’ve been discussing?

Are you going “nutso native” on us?

I’m half Jewish jerk; [if you can be half Jewish?] what’s your bitch…?

You’re carrying your post at least one comment too far!

“verstehen”

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM

You are not being persecuted by the force of Democratic opinion.

Actually, you feckin’ mick, I am. I live in fascist country. I’ve lost jobs for letting it be known that I vote Republican.

As I’m sure you are aware, the issue is not the articles quoted above. Did you read my comment which you are replying to?

You sound like Ralph Peters here.

And you sound like a retarded liberal who refuses to acknowledge evil when it spits in his face.

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 4:54 PM

“Darn those hateful Jews anyway, always complaining about Hitler.
flenser on September 21, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Are you going “nutso native” on us?

I’m half Israeli, jerk; [you can be half Israeli, yet not half Jewish?] so what’s your bitch…?

You’re carrying your post at least one comment too far!

“verstehen”

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 5:03 PM

I’m sorry to hear that.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM

J_Gocht

Daunting questions, aren’t they?

And this is precisely why the entire house of cards is crumbling down.

Obama is not qualified to be President. It is plain as day, because that question will not be answered! The entire media steers wide and clear of that single, solitary, plainly asked question.

They said the Palin pick takes the experience question right off the table.

It didn’t.

It only exemplifies the problem the Marxists have at the top of their ticket.

Sarah Palin, little clickity clack, high heel, young, mayor of Wasilla, beauty queen, pig with lipstick, bare foot and pregnant, hick from Alaska, has more experience than Obama in running an executive branch of government in her little “no problem, I’ll fire the son of a bitch” finger.

I understand why you won’t can’t answer the question of what, exactly, makes Obama qualified to be President of the United States of America.

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM

You remind of a passage from Jeremiah – specifically the man who suffered “violence, ruin” and was spat upon for preaching God’s name. After his these tribulations he refused to give up and continued to preach God’s name.

aengus on September 21, 2008 at 5:33 PM

“And she’s at the bottom of the ticket, with her credentials and qualifications to run as VICE President.
Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Darn it Salty_, both Sarah and I know that’s bovine feces, she’s at the top of the ticket…!

Ask her…!

Don’t we all know right now; she’s the cute hot momma who’s gonna fill the gap when the dottering olde fool “buys the farm”…!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM

What, exactly, are Obama’s qualifications to be President?

Look, it’s as hard as you make it. Just start typing, I’m sure you’ll think of something.

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Yes, I actually think Sarah has many fine qualities;

Salty: Such as?

however, I don’t believe she’s qualified to be President.

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

…and my second question was even less intimidating. (at least that’s what I thought at first, but apparently you disagree)

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM

flenser on September 21, 2008 at 2:34 PM

You sound like a helpless and petulant child. If most Gringos are like that as well as with Juan remaining under our control we will take over the rest of America del Norte even faster I thought.

VinyFoxy on September 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Salty_, here’s a definition I’m not certain you and your compatriots might understand…?

Buy the farm… olde military lingo there….!

“ To die, espescially in combat; [or from really olde dottering age while running for office as a politician] most likely from the idea that a dead soldier’s [or politician’s] death benifit would serve to pay off his family’s morgtage [or put his young hot running mate in office].

McSame’s gott’em all paid off…!

Often shortened to “he bought it;” or… “he bought the farm”.

Chuckie Lindberg later recalled the hazards of lugging a tank that carried seventy-two pounds of… napalm… under twelve hundred pounds of pressure… “It was dangerous work. A lot of guys bought the farm trying that.”

No Shit…!

How’s about luggin’ a young hot momma around, who’s damn well sure after your job…geezer?

Hot stuff…!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 7:15 PM

“Darn those hateful Jews anyway, always complaining about Hitler.
flenser on September 21, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Are you going “nutso native” on us?

I’m half Jewish jerk; [if you can be half Jewish?] what’s your bitch…?

You’re carrying your post at least one comment too far!

“verstehen”

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Give up your attempts to help him Mr. Gocht, this flenser has gone quite mad. Even a trained professional like myself can not help him. Maybe the church can help him.

Sigmund on September 21, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Give up your attempts to help him Mr. Gocht, this flenser has gone quite mad. Even a trained professional like myself can not help him any more. Maybe the church can help him.

Sigmund on September 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Your dancing, as if I’m shooting rounds at your feet. Relax. It’s just a simple question.

What, exactly, are Obama’s qualifications to be President?

Yes, I actually think Sarah has many fine qualities;

Salty: Such as?

however, I don’t believe she’s qualified to be President.

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

You said it, not me. Just looking for some clarification.

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Oops, please forgive me.

YourYou’re dancing, etc…

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Sigmund on September 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Actually “felensy luvs” Sarah….!

flenser, secretly hates McSame because he doesn’t know anything about the intertubes…!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 7:15 PM

It’s not a trick question. After his name, date, and social security number, it’s only the first question on the job application.

What, exactly, are Obama’s qualifications to be President?

Yes, I actually think Sarah has many fine qualities;

Salty: Such as?

however, I don’t believe she’s qualified to be President.

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Many fine qualities…How would describe those “many, fine, qualities”?

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Salty_ catch you in the AM.
Packer’s game starting..!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Checkmate.

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Salty_ catch you in the AM.
Packer’s game starting..!

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Checkmate.

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Actually I believe that the Packers are a football team and they do touchdowns and field goals and not checkmates. But I could be wrong as I have been dead for some time.

Sigmund on September 21, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Sigmund on September 21, 2008 at 8:02 PM

LOL

A great team, IMO, but the Green Bay fans I know would not be fazed by such rudimentary questions.

In fact, I’m quite bewildered at the lack of courage in the face of such an innocuous engagement.

Aren’t you?

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Off topic…

Donavan McNabb opens a large can of “whoop arse” on Rush Limbaugh’s Pittsburg Steelers today…!

Whooaah, momma stay up…!
Where’s my little “blue pills”…
Maid, where’s the damn maid…?

J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Obama hates Annie Oakley?

C’Mon!

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Who’s scared of Annie Oakley?

C’Mon!

What, J_Gocht, qualifies Obama to be President?

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Senility; can be a not so subtle and very depilating problem for the potential leader of the free world.
J_Gocht on September 21, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Is this the weekly talking point from the CPSUA? On McCain’s worst day (which is usually when he’s trying to bash Republicans) he runs rings around Team Barry and Biden. Anyway, I don’t think you are in the least bit interested in a “free world”.

Bottom line: anti-intellectualism is not the answer to our problems.
Send_Me on September 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM

I am not an “anti-intellectualist” (whatever that is). I am an anti-leftist, and the infiltration of academia with Leftists is not only not an “answer to our problems”, it is to blame for a great many of them.

Buy Danish on September 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I realize I’m reading this late, but I still want to applaud Allah for the terrific juxtaposition.

My first taste of this was a couple years ago when Harriet Myers was nominated for the SC. Like most, I knew little about her; like most, I am not a legal scholar. As such, I had little opinion of her other than what I read from ‘reliable sources’ which included those from my own party.

But I was struck by those from my ‘own side’ whose argument was seemingly based not upon her intelligence or grasp of law, but upon her pedigree. Needless to say, this left a bad taste in my mouth. I realized then that elitism is not reserved for only the ‘other’ party. It is a taste I shall never forget.

I argued with several like-minded friends during this nomination. My rationale was that I did not care the method of arriving at correct interpretation of law – whether by Ivy-league or self-teaching – so long as one drew the proper conclusion at the end of the day. And I was further dismayed that many on my side sought the infamous litmus test, justifying the means by the predetermined end. This smacked of a hypocricy I could not tolerate, even if I believed their conclusion to be correct.

So now we have Palin before us. Inexperienced, yes. But how is that so bad? I mean, we here writing on blogs and commenting on them have far less than she. Afterall, she has risen through the ranks, proved herself competent by the vote of a majority of her constituency. So why is it a demerit against her that her past does not contain an Ivy-league stamp? And why does it matter that she has not cocktailed with those who have spent their careers justifying themselves as my better?

Give me good, old fashioned horse sense. Give me one who stands for what she believes. Give me one who has been given the chance to choose, and has chosen my values when it was the one more difficult. I for one do not care anything of pedigree. I care about my values and the adamant furtherance of them. Unapologetic, proud and determined. And I care that, along with Buckley, I’d rather follow the first few names in the Boston phone book than I would the first few names on the Harvard faculty roster.

James OK on September 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM

J_Gocht

I’d like to get your opinion on this.

Does she look like she’s using a telepromter?

Scoot up to 8:15 if you get bored.

She didn’t like the Annie Oakley bit, either.

Saltysam on September 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM

U.S. District Judge Jon McCalla said he was concerned over “the very great control Mr. Alamo has over a number of people.”

This is not a defense of what Alamo has been accused of, but does anybody else find it creepily ironic that a U.S.District Judge is concerned about very great control…over a number of people?

soundingboard on September 22, 2008 at 2:54 AM

Oooh, oooh, oooh — I know that one Mr. Kotter!
He was a failed Rhodes scholar and a disbarred lawyer.

Y-not on September 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM

FTFY

soundingboard on September 22, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Does anybody see what is wrong with this picture?

Saltysam on September 20, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Not me.

soundingboard on September 22, 2008 at 3:09 AM

Thus spake Sam Harris.

In speaking before her church about her son going to war in Iraq, Palin urged the congregation to pray “that our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God; that’s what we have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan, and that plan is God’s plan.” When asked about these remarks in her interview with Gibson, Palin successfully dodged the issue of her religious beliefs by claiming that she had been merely echoing the words of Abraham Lincoln. The New York Times later dubbed her response “absurd.” It was worse than absurd; it was a lie calculated to conceal the true character of her religious infatuations.

And he goes on and on in this vein, but this exemplifies his dishonesty. Palin was specifically praying that she would pray according to God’s will, rather than assume that whatever she wanted was God’s will. If she had not defended herself by referencing Lincoln, I would have still picked up on Lincoln’s quote on a similar subject. It’s that obvious. Reportedly, someone asked Lincoln if God is on our side, and Lincoln answered that he didn’t know, but that the important question was really whether we are on God’s side.

The significance of this is that we should not confuse our viewpoint with God’s. This is exactly what Palin was praying for: that rather than just assume whatever we’re doing is right, and ask God to bless it, we should pray that what we are doing is what God would want us to do.

Far from lying, this is a statement of humility, that “I will not presume that I speak for God, or that God wants whatever I want.”

Put all this in context of Harris’s article, and it becomes clear that he uses this quote to prove the opposite of what it means: that Palin is somehow confused into thinking God has chosen her to bring about the apocalypse.

And what is with these silly reporters thinking that those who believe in an apocalypse one day are somehow going to go out and try to force it to happen. That’s like saying that those who believe they’re going to Heaven when they die will run out and commit suicide. (Even Muslims only martyr themselves in conjunction with a belief in jihad: a belief that Christians don’t have.)

I think the bottom line for Harris is that Palin is a believing Christian, and therefore a dangerous extremist.

Silly reporter.

tom on September 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Someone earlier asked for Sarah Palin’s qualification for VP:

1. Sarah Palin was the Mayor of a city.
2. Sarah Palin is a governor of a U.S. State.
3. Her approval rating as governor is 75%+.

Those two statements alone make her a fit Vice-Presidential Candidate.

You can whine about Obama’s Senatorial Experience in a Congress with low teen approval ratings all you want; but those three points “qualify” her as a VP. Both parties have run far worse.

Jason Coleman on September 22, 2008 at 11:49 PM

err. . . three statements PIMF!!!!

Jason Coleman on September 22, 2008 at 11:50 PM