Biden to Obama: Hands off my guns

posted at 8:43 pm on September 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

The man’s clearly a genius.

In an out-of-nowhere attempt to re-assure a southwestern Virginia labor crowd about gun owners’ rights, Biden — who regularly scores “F” ratings from the National Rifle Association — warned Obama that if “he tries to fool with my Beretta, he’s got a problem.”

“I guarantee you Barack Obama ain’t taking my shotguns, so don’t buy that malarkey,” Biden said Saturday at the United Mine Workers of America’s annual fish fry in Castlewood, Virginia. “Don’t buy that malarkey. They’re going to start peddling that to you.”

Biden told the crowd that he himself is a gun owner. “I got two,” Biden said, “if he tries to fool with my Beretta, he’s got a problem. I like that little over and under, you know? I’m not bad with it. So give me a break. Give me a break.

Would The One dare to fool with his Beretta? Of course not — he doesn’t have the votes. Golly, I wonder if this explains why Team Barry was so quick to acquiesce to McCain’s demand for a highly structured VP debate format with short Q&A periods so that the candidates can’t ramble on.

I do believe it was:

A commission member said that the new agreement on the vice-presidential debate was reached late morning Saturday. It calls for shorter blocks of candidate statements and open discussion than at the presidential debates.

McCain advisers said they were only somewhat concerned about Ms. Palin’s debating skills compared with those of Mr. Biden, who has served six terms in the Senate, or about his chances of tripping her up. Instead, they say, they wanted Ms. Palin to have opportunities to present Mr. McCain’s positions, rather than spending time talking about her own experience or playing defense…

Indeed, both the McCain and Obama campaigns have similar concerns about the vice-presidential matchup in St. Louis: that Ms. Palin, of Alaska, as a new player in national politics, or Mr. Biden, of Delaware, as a loquacious and gaffe-prone speaker, could commit a momentum-changing misstep in their debate.

Considering that Biden’s famously popped off on this subject at a debate before plus the fact that the singular image of the ‘Cuda in the public imagination is of her brandishing an automatic weapon, I’d say odds are fair that if war breaks out at the debate, this’ll be the issue that sets it off. Exit question: The Times piece notes that Friday’s McCain/Obama debate was originally supposed to deal with the economy but was switched to foreign policy — at Obama’s urging. Evidently he wants to show off his facility with international issues to reassure people who are worried about his inexperience. Is that a good move or a bad one? Initially I thought it was nutty since he leads McCain consistently on the economy and should want to take advantage now, but there’s a certain wisdom in pushing discussion of an issue on which he’s stronger back so that it’s closer to the election.

Sarah Palin Rifle TrainingClick here for funny video clips

Comments

Fu(kin elitist prick has never held a gun in his life that was not related to a photo op. And I’ve never seen one of those either.

R D on September 21, 2008 at 12:23 AM

DaveC on September 21, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I never watched Cowboy BeBop..(I just got done watching the whole Samurai Champloo series, pretty good) :}

I like D.Gray-man also, Bleach.. Naruto.. Soul Eater, Nabari no Ou(All fansubs with english subtitles, I also like Manga)

I also like other Anime and Manga, mostly Shōnen, I have only watched a couple Seinen anime it’s a little extreme for tastes usually.(Shōnen as broadcast in Japan is more “intense” than what they show on regular tv here I think) :P

Chakra Hammer on September 21, 2008 at 12:32 AM

oh jeezz.. my post about anime just had to be on the new page..

:{

———

Biden you moron! >:D

Chakra Hammer on September 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Scranton was bought a Beretta shotgun by a oobbyist in all likelihood. Beretta shotguns are among the most expensive made. It’s funny that the donks can’t help but be elitist when talking down to their blue-dogs. Ah well we’ll see if PR and class war can trump personal desires.

sven10077 on September 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Where can I get me a huntin’ license?

It’s hard to know where to start on this jive-talkin’ panderfest of stupidity. He’s trying to keep it real for the homeboys in West Virginia, so he tosses out some junk about his free, $3000 Italian-made Beretta?

Wait…I’m sorry – “that little over and under, you know? Idiot doesn’t even begin to describe Greasy Joe.

Jaibones on September 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM

I wondered how eventually the government might get our guns. Then I remembered. Oh yea, Obama’s 500,000 “civilian security force”……how convenient…

Ozprey on September 21, 2008 at 12:41 AM

“but there’s a certain wisdom in pushing discussion of an issue on which he’s stronger back so that it’s closer to the election.”

Huh? I’d say Obama doesn’t want to have to address current financial chaos until the decision making is over with and he can opine in hindsight. He’s been desperately trying to avoid taking an identifiable position since the upheaval began.

JM Hanes on September 21, 2008 at 12:52 AM

You’re hittin’ pretty close to dead center.

Could I love Sarah more? I submit that I could not.

Exit question:

Good move for Obama. McCain could’ve jumped all over the Fannie Mae thing while it’s fresh. This change, as well as the VP format, is an advantage for the Dems, and I can’t believe McCain agreed to it. No chance of a Biden gaffe and class-warfare-palooza at the last debate before Election Day. Meanwhile, 80% of the country aren’t aware of McCain’s challenge for additional townhall debates. Poorly played by Mac.

Mr. Wednesday Night on September 21, 2008 at 12:54 AM

lol, your right Biden, he won’t take your guns because you are one of them. As for the rest of us, that is another story.

jharada on September 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Governor P actually firing an assaul-l-l-l-t weapon !!

1) It’ll be in a Dem anti-gun ad.
2) Barry probably pees his pants a little seeing this.

eeyore on September 21, 2008 at 1:18 AM

i just got home, was kinda bummed… now i’m LMFAO

thanks all… we still have a shot at this aye??

stlpatriot on September 21, 2008 at 1:24 AM

Remember New Orleans.

nuff said.

Yakko77 on September 21, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Mr. Wednesday Night on September 21, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I disagree about “no chance for a Biden gaffe”. He usually gaffes in the first 30 seconds, then spends the rest of his time talking his way out of it, over it, or around it. I think he’s just as much a liability with this format.

I AGREE with you about the townhall debates. It amazes me that he doesn’t play this for all it is worth. Are they crazy?

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 1:38 AM

Chakra Hammer on September 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM

you can check out most of the episodes here.. there is a rumor about a live action movie being made about it too..

key word: rumor..

DaveC on September 21, 2008 at 1:56 AM

key word: rumor..

DaveC on September 21, 2008 at 1:56 AM

youtube, or streaming is NOT the way to watch anime.. >:}

Need Hi-Quality. :}

Chakra Hammer on September 21, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Sarah and guns is cool

I also liked the Ballad of Sarah Palin ignoring the part about shooting puppies and eagles. The sound is great

Triggered childhood memories of the original ballad of Davy Crockett made by Walt Disney – the real Disney

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Killed himself a bar when he was only three Daveeee….

I can see Sarah in a coonskin cap, but Biden couldn’t pull it off, it would look like a bad toupee

entagor on September 21, 2008 at 3:01 AM

Saltysam on September 21, 2008 at 1:38 AM

How ’bout this? McCain/Palin issue a very public challenge to Obama/Biden for a 2-on-2 townhall debate. All four candidates answering questions from a live audience. No holds barred.

The TV ratings would be huge, so what possible excuses could the Dems come up with? In fact, if they didn’t accept, that would be even better for the GOP.

Mr. Wednesday Night on September 21, 2008 at 3:33 AM

[Tin foil hat on]

On Hanitty on Friday he mentioned some sort of rumor that Biden would be stepping down after the VP debate and Obama would replace him with Hilary.

After a second or third look at Biden, Team O realized Biden is a mistake so they are setting him up for failure.

/end tin foil hat

F15Mech on September 21, 2008 at 3:36 AM

Two questions: Does he have a huntin’ license does he believe anyone believes his “malarkey’?

Benjamin9 on September 21, 2008 at 3:49 AM

“there’s no chance of a Biden gaffe?”

If you think Biden needs 2 bites of the apple to gaffe, your nuts!

Biden gaffes on his own. He doesn’t even need a question.

I envision a Palin answer (particularly if its a populist type) sending Joe over the populist edge and no telling what he’ll say. He may even bring up a moose or two.

Lonetown on September 21, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Biden inadvertently hits on the primary purpose of the 2nd Amendment–that being firearms as protection from an intrusive governement.

If you read Obama’s statements on gun ownership, he only refers to hunting, and target shooting. Now I know Joe didn’t mean it, but since anything is liable to come out of his mouth, occasionally some nugget of truth does as well.

I think the VP candidate should be pressed on his differing gun views from his running mate.

JiangxiDad on September 21, 2008 at 6:57 AM

From the first day that Obama officially defeated Hillary Clinton, the man has attempted to move to the center. Staying left of Clinton was the only way he could defeat her in his own party, but now the demographic pool is much larger. Obama has now calculated that even pissin’ off his radical left (with actions like FISA, Iraq withdrawel process), won’t matter because a majority of his “nutcases” will vote for him regardless.

Now we have two candidates who are given constant “F’s” by the NRA for their legislative stand on 2nd amendment issues and the media will turn another blind eye to the hypocrisy. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out Obama’s vetting process of Biden didn’t include that he was in possession of a firearm.

Make no mistake—-this is a well oiled Daley Chicago Machine that knows quite well how to move to the middle without appearing like a duck out of water, and Biden did not make these comments without Obama’s knowledge.

Rovin on September 21, 2008 at 7:13 AM

I’m sure Biden was referring to that TV series “Baretta” when he came of with that line.

John Doe on September 21, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Let’s see. Barack believe that the Second Amendment means something different for people who like in crime ridden cities as opposed to rural areas. I believe Biden is actually telling the truth here. Obama will not mess with his weapons since he’s one of Barack’s good ole boys. Laws are for the general population, not for the “elite” so Joe will be able to continue clinging to his guns. Joe Six-pack is another thing though.

TooTall on September 21, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Barrack Obama will ban all the guns he has the votes for

tarpon on September 21, 2008 at 9:15 AM

Instead of the debate between Gov Palin and Sen Biden, just send them out with weapons on a moose hunt in Alaska. First one that bags and dresses the moose wins the ‘debate’.

eaglewingz08 on September 21, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Figures, even libs with guns prefer European made.

BrianA on September 21, 2008 at 9:25 AM

The real nuance here, is that Biden keeps saying “Beratta” which everyone associates with 9mm semi-automatic pistols.
However, he immediately says “I like that little over and under” which clearly indicates he is talking about a shotgun, and falls in line with Barack’s position that weapons will only be allowed for hunting purposes.

The has deception and Socialism written all over it.

KMC1 on September 21, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Don’t forget the “nuance” here. Oblamo won’t take your shotguns…yet! He will start with handguns; all of them. Then outlaw rifle ammunition and close all gun stores within five miles of a school or park (over 95% of gun stores are within five miles of a school or park). Then take the rifles because, without ammunition, who needs rifles. Finally, the shotguns will have to go for some trumped-up reason. Don’t believe me. Believe his own words and voting record. Go to NRA.org and find out. They have an agenda, yes; but they do their homework and they know this issue like nobody else.
If Obambi is elected, I will comply with the law and give him my guns…bullets first.

SKYFOX on September 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Those of us who own the politically incorrect firearms such as a Mini-14 or an M1-A and other types would be targeted under an Obamma administration. All semi-autos are the same as far as gun confiscators are concerned. I have a Beretta Model 418, it is an evil semi-auto – come and get it; you’ll have to get past Mr. Springfield first. A cousin wanted to by the Beretta, but he couldn’t come up with the $1,750,000 (I inherited the evil gun from my late mother).

Pelayo on September 21, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Figures, even libs with guns prefer European made.

BrianA on September 21, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Eh…so does the DoD. It’s why I own one, because I wanted to be most proficient in the exact same weapon I would carry in combat.

(Of course, this is again referring to the 9mm, not the shotgun Biden was talking about. But it’s a fine manufacturer nonetheless.)

Back on topic…this was said on Biden’s own initiative? Not in response to a question or comment? Wow, way to condescend to your audience.

James on September 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM

James on September 21, 2008

I think the model 92 is made here in the USA in Berretta’s American factory. Regardless, a fine weapon; though much too large for concealed carry. Though it’s at the bottom of the scale for acceptable lethality, I’ll stick with my little Miss Elsie (Ruger LCP). There is no such thing as a “guarantee” of safety, but I do feel better with her at my side.

SKYFOX on September 21, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Right he wont take your shotgun, but he’ll take everything else.

tx2654 on September 21, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Eh…it was a JOKE! Lighten up. No one said Beretta makes crappy weapens, although most people I hunt with are buying Benelli shotguns, at least in an autoloader.

BrianA on September 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM

“FACT: Barack Obama voted for an Illinois State Senate bill to ban and confiscate ‘assault weapons,’ but the bill was so poorly crafted, it would have also banned most semi-auto and single and double barrel shotguns commonly used by sportsmen.
FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.
FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.
FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.
FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a 500% increase in the federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition.
FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.
FACT: Barack Obama supports local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.
FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people who use firearms in self-defense.
FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court Brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.
FACT: Barack Obama opposes Right to Carry laws.
FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and “research.”
FACT: Barack Obama supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.
FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.
FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.
FACT: Barack Obama supports one-gun-a-month handgun purchase restrictions.
FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.”

From RightwingSparkle.

AZCoyote on September 21, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Ah, Barack will not take his shotguns, YOUR handguns though…….

Gatordoug on September 21, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Our constitution has been battered by activist judges, usurped by overreaching politicians and, in some cases (2nd Amendment, anyone) totally ignored or misrepresented by maggots posing as journalists. It stands because it is a truly great political document. It tells the world who we are and what we stand for by limiting the power of government and recognizing God-given rights of the people. It will survive the attempts of Obama to remake it in his image and likeness only if those of us who truly revere it stand strong. Don’t be the “good…who stand by and do nothing”. We are a great nation because we are free. Not the other way around. Our freedom came at a high cost of real blood, sweat and tears and that price continues to be exacted from the finest young men and women this country has produced. Sometimes I wonder if we still deserve their sacrifice. Pray God, we still do.

SKYFOX on September 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM