Video: The obligatory “Josh Howard sneers at the national anthem” clip

posted at 11:05 am on September 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Two clips for you, the first a local news report in which fans show their “appreciation” and the second the raw footage. Click the image to watch. Not the first multimillionaire to show contempt for his country, needless to say, and not even the first time he himself has snubbed it: He declined a chance to play on the Olympic team two years ago because it interfered with his summer camps. Expect him to be booed for maybe five games, and then as his PPG inches up towards 20, bygones will quickly be bygones.

Exit quotation invitation: Josh, meet Kobe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Guess where you won’t find arrogant, sniveling bastards like this? Hint: it’s not a stick-and-ball sport.

fourstringfuror on September 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM

He’s the anti Kobe

macblanegirl on September 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Dave Rywall on September 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM
It’s called sarcasm!

flytier on September 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM

“Why do people support these thugs by watching pro sports?”

Why do people support these thugs by watching voting for Democrats?

This guy is right in line with the Democrat base.

I like watching pro sports. And what this jackass says, thinks or does, has no bearing on my life. None. Just like the idiots in Hollywood or in the recording industry.

Whereas idiots like Pelosi, Reid and the entire Democrat clown Congress DO have bearings on my life.

Don’t like anti-American a-holes like Howard? The proper answer to it is to defeat Democrat politicians at every level of government, down to the PTA. Without Democrats voting how people like Howard want, people like Howard have no power.

NoDonkey on September 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Michelle Obama plays for the Mavericks?

IreneFingIrene on September 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM

m064404 on September 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

USNA grad?

eaglesdontflock on September 18, 2008 at 12:13 PM

And why is his race relevant to his idiocy?

crr6 on September 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I’m guessing you didn’t read the quote.

MarkTheGreat on September 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM

There’s a church in Chicago that’ll love to have ya.

Kini on September 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Go Navy, Beat Army!

m064404 on September 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

He scheduled to take “Advanced communication skills sessions” Sure he sounds as dumb as a rock but improving his communications skills isn’t going to improve his hatred of America.
He needs a pay decrease and time off.

shick on September 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Don’t worry, by the time the guy is 35, he’ll be like every other hip hop (read that how you may) NBA star. Broke and living in the projects.

Tim Burton on September 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Seriously though it never ceases to amaze me that conservatives, who extoll the virtues of “colorblindness” and decry identity politics are unable to shut up about race whenever a black person says or does something objectionable.

crr6 on September 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Where the hell have you been hanging out? Race is almost never cited when someone comments here, unless the issue itself concerns race. I might point out that the subject of our conversation here brought up race himself, so how about you have half a clue about who introduced the race card before smearing an entire political ideology?

MadisonConservative on September 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM

A little off topic – I knew Rush was going to go nuclear on Obama today – but that’s putting it mildly.

If any of his program gets out to regular folks – the big O’s toast.

Some descriptive words: fraud, thug, liar, extreme radical, unqualified, politcal operative.

I’ve heard Rush go off before, but this is fierce.

tru2tx on September 18, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Wonder if he’ll get the John Rocker treatment.

My bet is…not.

fossten on September 18, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Well, maybe he’d be more respectful to “Dixie” or “God Save the South”, anthems to the Opposing Team.

Why are people asking “who is Josh Howard” when they could spend perhaps 5 seconds going to google? Are you all retarded?

Dave Rywall on September 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Dave, what’s Google?

unclesmrgol on September 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Love NCAA baskets – hate the NBA because of the scumthugs like this jerk.

Sporty1946 on September 18, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Dave Rywall on September 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

They’re asking it on purpose to show that he is a nobody. To show that he’s some random jackass whose opinion is worth no more than any opinions made on this comment section.

You’re a dense little liberal, aintcha?

“OMG GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!”

MadisonConservative on September 18, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I cannot understand why a “professional” athlete does not honor our National Anthem. Does he also burn flags?

m064404

Thanks to a linked article generously provided by another contributor on this thread, I was able to discover that he doesn’t burn flag…hemp…he likes to burn hemp.

Damned neighborly of him…the stuff clogs highway drainage ditches and the edges of woodlots all across the midwest…down here in Atascosa County, folks burn cactus. He burns hemp…agriculturally minded fellow, this….

It also, by the way, explains his conduct….

Puritan1648 on September 18, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Based on his statements he might want to think about playing in the European league, because he sure does not belong in the American one.

JeffinSac on September 18, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Go Navy, Beat Army!

m064404

…Go Klingons! Beat Navy!

Puritan1648 on September 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Typical of the trash driving Obama’s bus

pherrman on September 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Big surprise, this sorry a/o is employed by Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks. The same Mark Cuban who financed the movie “Redacted”, a docudrama based on the Mahmudiyah killings in Iraqi in 2006……by guess who?…. U.S. soldiers! John Murtha b/s. I know this sorry liberal b***** personally and believe me, he is a total prick! Also, he’s trying to buy the Chicago Cubs.
……perhaps the billionaire play/boy wants to get closer to the ONE.

try again later on September 18, 2008 at 12:39 PM

If you could use the word, he would sure fit it.

Star20 on September 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Also, he’s trying to buy the Chicago Cubs.
……perhaps the billionaire play/boy wants to get closer to the ONE.

try again later on September 18, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I can’t imagine that scum-soaked POS anywhere near my Cubbies. Lord, don’t let that happen.

SKYFOX on September 18, 2008 at 12:49 PM

i would love to see him at a NASCAR event saying this.

custer on September 18, 2008 at 12:53 PM

America has been very good to Josh Howard.
Howard should move to Africa and see how well he does there.

carbon_footprint on September 18, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Feel free to drag your ass out of this country any time pal. Unless of course, your a sniviling hypocrite.

GarandFan on September 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I see Canadian and European hockey players giving our National Anthem more respect than this tool does!

hburns on September 18, 2008 at 1:00 PM

OK look. I am a Josh Howard fan because I watched his career at Wake Forest from when he was a freshman.

Josh is a good guy who works extraordinarily hard in his profession. He didn’t have the talent that others had but he worked his butt off to earn a spot in the League.

I’m not justifying what he said. I actually was EXTREMELY critical of comments he made after winning the ACC POY his senior year at the dawn of the Iraq War and mentioned that the war was ‘for oil’ because ‘Saddam tried to kill his daddy’.

I was extremely critical of him there because of the context. He was representing the school, the ACC, etc and shouldn’t have said it in that context.

Here, he’s just goofing around with some friends and someone video taped it. It’s MEANINGLESS. Howard has always been a lightning-rod for how he plays. He’s always on edge and fights for everything (legally) on the court. He just works hard and has found success.

I’m not excusing what he said, just that what he said matters. This video was from 6 months ago. It is irrelevant. Most of you don’t even know who Howard is. . . but he is a good guy who has made poor decisions. But he has earned everything he has gotten – ie he isn’t one of those who is so much better than everyone he doesn’t have to work.

ThackerAgency on September 18, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Dude. Another underachieving, dope smokin’ wannabe gangsta millionaire trying to fit in with the prominent, tired Hip-Hop BLT themes? Yawn. He’s done anyway. Everybody knows that you don’t give him the ball when it counts. He’s simply lashing out at his own mediocrity.

Out here in SLC, D-will and Booz served proudly along side (I never thought I’d say this about Kobe) a man who really gets it. We couldn’t be more proud of our boys. Strong commmunity guys with skills, making mad cash and loving every minute of it. It’s the American dream and they realize it.

INFDL on September 18, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Yeah, don’t salute the flag of the country that makes it possibly for a complete idiot like yourself to get rich playing ball.

Elizabetty on September 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Dude, Kobe only ‘gets it’ when he’s winning and worshiped.

Howard has never been given 3 championship rings like Kobe has.

As I said, this is irrelevant. Those being ‘outraged’ are over reacting to an insignificant incident.

ThackerAgency on September 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Another Obama supporter exposed. Howard, I hear there’s an empty pew waiting for you in Rev. Wright’s church.

Hey, I hear they need American basketball players in China. Let’s send Howard.

Oh, and I almost forgot… Black Power!!

CliffHanger on September 18, 2008 at 1:25 PM

OK look. I am a Josh Howard fan because I watched his career at Wake Forest from when he was a freshman…

ThackerAgenc

First of all, you are excusing what he said.

Secondly, what he does for a living is play. Ultimately, it’s lucrative, but it isn’t important.

Remarks as foul as this, even those recorded in a private conversation made public, which aren’t immediately addressed by the person speaking and, not falling back on the standard canard of “context” or “mischaracterized” or even “I’m sorry my remarks were misunderstood” (as if the listener is at fault for misinterpreting a fairly clear statement)…but rather apologizing now, completely.

If he

does

feel that, as a black man, he feels no tie to America (as represented by the Anthem), he should start a discussion of just that thing. But, allowing the team to address his dismissive bilge is cowardly.

I don’t care what sort of a player he is. O.J. Simpson, in his sport, was the sort of an athlete this weenie will never be. They’re in the same class.

This sort of business must be met immediately. It promotes racial disharmony. The majority of black Americans are good citizens and good neighbors, and this zero’s statement was a refutation of that.

I’m still waiting for someone in the “black community” to step up and denounce what was said. Maybe it’s not being reported….

Puritan1648 on September 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

If the nba doesn’t fine and suspend this assh@@@…I’m done with the nba…typical lib dem…hates America…just like bho…

areseaoh on September 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

If you could use the word, he would sure fit it.

Star20 on September 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Too bad you’re afraid to say what you really mean. At least these idiots express themselves honestly.

I despise racial wusses like you. You wish you could say “the word” but you’re too afraid of the consequences.

You sir are a p*ssy.

The Race Card on September 18, 2008 at 1:45 PM

First of all, you are excusing what he said.

I don’t think you understand the meaning of ‘excusing what he said’. I am not saying that he should say what he said. I can’t imagine he even thinks or believes it. What he said was WRONG. How is that for ‘excusing’ what he said?

It’s not as though he is pro-actively making an anti-American movie like Cuban the owner. It’s not like he’s addressing more than ONE or TWO people here. It’s not like he’s asking for approval. He’s goofing around.

Josh is a lightning rod. He got tons of technical fouls in college. His political comments at random shouldn’t be fodder for general condemnation of everyone and everything.

By the way, I had hoped that the ACC POY incident would teach him the lesson not to say these things in public. That’s the main reason I was EXTREMELY critical of him – TO HIS FACE – during that incident. And I was then and still am one of his staunchest supporters. He’s a local kid who’s had a rough time, but he’s done pretty good for himself.

This incident isn’t his best (needless to say), and it shouldn’t have happened.

ThackerAgency on September 18, 2008 at 1:49 PM

‘I don’t celebrate this [expletive]. I’m black a prick whose parents did not teach him proper respect. I need a retroactive ass-whoopin and public shunning would probably help too. I suck.‘…

The Race Card on September 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM

As much as I hate partisan ship in politics, I love my diehard fans. Good D Thacker.

The Race Card on September 18, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Too bad you’re afraid to say what you really mean.

You sir are a p*ssy.

The Race Card on September 18, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Nice job of censoring what you want to say.

MadisonConservative on September 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Is there anyone upset at the camera man who was also not ‘respectful’ enough to stand at attention for the national anthem?

Again, Josh shouldn’t have said this. But my point is that it is irrelevant. It happened 6 months ago.

ThackerAgency on September 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM

[sigh]

Get rid of him. Better yet, please MLB let Cuban by the Chicago Cubs and both of you ingrates leave my team and city.

There. I said it.

anuts on September 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM

He works for Mark Cuban. What do you expect.

srhoades on September 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM

anuts on September 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM

As a loyal Cardinals fan, not even I would wish that on the Cubs.

srhoades on September 18, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Dude, Kobe only ‘gets it’ when he’s winning and worshiped.

ThackerAgency on September 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I disagree. He ‘gets’ what this country is about and is clearly devoted to his love and appreciation for it. His post game interview (forget which specific game) at the olympics shows this. It is in stark contrast to the behavior of Howard’s.

anuts on September 18, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Nice job of censoring what you want to say.

MadisonConservative on September 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Nice catch. I’m a pussy.

The Race Card on September 18, 2008 at 2:10 PM

rockmom on September 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM

He only makes $5 million?

Harpoon on September 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Race Card,

What word?

Star20 on September 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Mr. Howard should consider what he has to say about a country where he has become a very, very rich young man.

Then, again, many like him have cash burn rates that rival the Obama Campaign. After getting lavish contracts many of them are flat broke and the only ones they can blame are themselves!

Wildcatter1980 on September 18, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Josh Howard.
Lynn Swann.

You decide.

rightwingprof on September 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM

This is a BS, and its a setup for Obama to do a Sister Souljah moment

Even the Anthem was sung very similar to the way that it was when Obama didn’t put him hand over his heart..(heck it may have even been the same singer, if not it sounded similar at least to me.. )

IF Obama doesn’t say anything.. with this low lying fruit..

then he’s a moron.

Chakra Hammer on September 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM

This is a BS, and its a setup for Obama to do a Sister Souljah moment

IF Obama doesn’t say anything.. with this low lying fruit..

then he’s a moron.

Chakra Hammer on September 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM

If Obama does call him out, I wonder how much money Obama’s campaign or what influence they are offering him.. (does this guy have a criminal record? Or does he have friends that need a pardon?)

Chakra Hammer on September 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Nice catch. I’m a pussy.

The Race Card on September 18, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Just givin’ ya hell. ;)

Race Card,

What word?

Star20 on September 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM

You brought it up, pal. Quit the gotcha games.

MadisonConservative on September 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Josh . . . Piss off and leave please. Move and
play for the Iranian or Cuban team.

Go away baby and stay away.

Texyank on September 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

please please post this:

THIS is how the anthem should sound!

unmeritedfavor on September 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

This was a waste of bandwidth.

jerrytbg on September 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Lill help for the clueless Vermonter please.

What did he say?

HelenW on September 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM

unmeritedfavor on September 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Gave me chills…thanks.

jerrytbg on September 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM

“African UnAmerican?”

common sensineer on September 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I’m still waiting for someone in the “black community”

Why?

baldilocks on September 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM

ThackerAgency

…point taken, so here’s my point:

Basketball is unimportant. On the scale of human achievement, it ranks somewhere between bridge and breakdancing…both require skill, but the human race would be none the worse if they’d never been invented.

America is important.

Black people feeling themselves a part of America is important. When some douchbag celebrity — whatever the history of his personal conduct or his learning lessons, etc. — comes out and says this sort of codswollop (be it hijacked private blather or no) it puts black people at a distance. By that I don’t just mean that it effects black peoples’ thinking…it effects (once again) the thinking of all their neighbors.

…ask South Texas hispanics what they think of the “black struggle” some time…opinion is mixed, to put it charitably….

The guy should come out and address the matter himself. If this is his honest opinion, let the chips fall where they may…let’s clear the air.

Once again…basketball is a sport…sport, however remunerative, is an amusement, and ultimately is a luxury. America is home.

Puritan1648 on September 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Puritan1648 on September 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Disloyal, ungrateful, spoiled girly males come in all flavors. You going to denounced the ones at Stormfront?

baldilocks on September 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Puritan1648 on September 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Much better; agreed.

baldilocks on September 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Much better; agreed.

baldilocks on September 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Insightful guidance.

jerrytbg on September 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

give that idiot a bigger microphone and an audience who adores him.

Put him at rallies with Obama.

Let him sit at J. Wright’s right hand.

Let him be the face of the DNC.

…and don’t hesitate to question his patriotism and call him a coward.

Black Adam on September 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Mark Cuban is a finalist in the Cubs bidding war.
If Sam Zell hands my beloved Cubbies over to that “troofer” I’m becoming an astros fan.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM

If he doesn’t win MVP, it’s because of racism.

Star20 on September 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM

SKYBOX:
Sorry. I didn’t see your comment.
Btw-The Cubbies are losing by 3 in the 8th.
I live about 4 miles or so North of Wrigley.
Wrigley’s been like poison to the Cubs lately.
If they don’t clich this weekend I’m going to be gray.
*grrrrrrr*

annoyinglittletwerp on September 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Jeremiah Wright for NBA Commissioner! (Unless of course the Messiah wants him as Minister of Truth.)

chipandcharge on September 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Josh . . . Piss off and leave please. Move and
play for the Iranian or Cuban team.

Go away baby and stay away.

Texyank on September 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Funny, he does play for the Cuban team…Mark Cuban. Fidel’s brother (at least philisophically)

Big John on September 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM

So Josh Howard doesn’t believe in the celebrating our National Anthem anymore, huh? Fine.

The NBA should order Cuban to start paying his punk ass in Indonesian rupiahs or Kenyan shillings from now on.

NObama 08′ ‘dawg’.

Teddy on September 18, 2008 at 7:07 PM

baldilocks

…actually…

<resume

…for about three years, I was a chaplaincy prison visitor — the FIRST and ONLY one in Texas — working with offenders professing Norse heathenism. In our nations prisons, that bunch are shot through with Stormfront, 14-words, and suchlike folks. The offenders themselves “protected” me from those folks attending, and I did my level best — visiting the facility I serviced at least once a month (when there wasn’t a lock down) for that three or so years.

I discontinued the service firstly because the state chaplaincy reorganized, and the very supportive on-site facility chaplain left, and was replaced by what I think was a lay Catholic chaplain who was as unsupportive as was the other fellow. I also washed my hands of having anything to do with Norse heathenism.

I also, for a few years, ran a discussion list along the same lines with world-wide participation where white supremacy was discussed in detail, and where (as the list owner) I routinely denounced supremacy, white or otherwise.

</resume

I’m proud of who I am, my ancestry, and their accomplishments. I’m also happy with my neighbors (Atascosa County where I live is 60% hispanic), and think that they’d be foolish not to be proud of their ancestry, etc. Same goes for blacks, but I’m seeing less pride in the media, anyway, than bitterness-on-cue, as that’s been popular for as long as it’s been possible. Comes from folks like this Howard turd not being required to stand up like a man…and his own folks not being the ones who do the requiring.

Sad business.

Puritan1648 on September 18, 2008 at 9:20 PM

He supported Obama and disparaged the U.S.A. in the same statement. Lets just be grateful he did it, and give it as much media coverage as possible.

DFCtomm on September 19, 2008 at 12:52 AM