Hillary: I can’t protest Ahmadinejad because Sarah Palin might be there

posted at 12:10 pm on September 17, 2008 by Allahpundit

To show you what a sucker I am, I was all set to praise her this morning after the first stories came out last night for putting partisanship aside in the interests of a worthy international cause. Much like, oh, John McCain speaking next week at the Clinton Global Initiative.

Like I say, I’m a sucker.

“We are pleased to inform you that the keynote speakers at the “Stop Iran. Now!” Rally are confirmed to be Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Governor Sarah Palin and Nobel Laureate Elie Wiesel,” read an e-mail from a leader of a Jewish group planning the event.

But the curtain came down on the comedy sketch-turned-reality before the duo ever hit the stage: Clinton officials soon said they had not been told Palin would be on hand — and that her presence, which made the event a political one, would mean the absence of the New York senator.

The McCain-Palin campaign has not yet said whether Palin herself will still be attending the event, but released a statement criticizing Clinton’s withdrawal. “Governor Palin believes that the danger of a nuclear Iran is greater than party or politics,” said spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt. “She hopes that all parties can rally together in opposition to this grave threat.”

Am I hallucinating or didn’t Her Majesty and The One manage to momentarily overcome their differences last year and join hands in the interest of another good cause? How come that joint appearance didn’t make the Selma event a “political” one? Answer: It did, but Hillary didn’t stand to lose any votes by being there. She does stand to lose votes — for Obama, as his most prominent surrogate — if she shows up on Monday and gladhands the usurper, so naturally she put her party interest first and backed out. She’s the one making it a political event, not Palin. If she was half as committed to this cause as she pretends to be, she’d opt for a compromise: To avoid any fallout from having the two of them momentarily share a stage or, lord forbid, a handshake, simply coordinate the schedules so that they aren’t there at the same time. It speaks volumes that her first impulse was to say “to hell with it” rather than seek an accommodation.

As it is, now Palin’s invite is in jeopardy too. Exit question: Which party-over-country Hillary pander is more disgraceful, this one or the time she did MoveOn’s bidding by voting against that Senate resolution expressing support for Petraeus after the “Betray Us” ad?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think Hillary knows exactly what she’s doing.

Letting Governor Palin show up and address the protesters gives Palin a chance to look strong on foreign policy — on an issue that most Americans are unified on (Iran should not develop nuclear weapons.) and on which Senator Barack “No Preconditions” Obama is perceived to be weak.

Making a stink about things just guarantees additional attention on the day.

Very elegantly done.

*shudder* And I thought Hillary would be the weaker candidate, back when she was running against Obama.

ClintACK on September 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Okay, I read what they are claiming about the emails. It’s a bunch of b.s. The obamabots are trying to argue that she destroyed evidence. One, it assumes that she destroyed it. Two, it assumes there was evidence to destroy. Three, it assumes that it is not an appropriate response to people hacking into your private account.

I swear I’m going to beat the crap out of a leftard before the end of this election. I’ve lost patience with their ahole behavior.

Blake on September 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Blake, beat them at the voting booth. Nothing will enrage them more.

Entelechy on September 17, 2008 at 1:21 PM

ot/ apparently the Libs hacked into Palin’s email last night and are publishing contents of her emails over the web.

jp on September 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Is that a crime?

Blake on September 17, 2008 at 1:12 PM

For a Republican, yes, for a democrat, no.

4shoes on September 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM

It’s plain and simple . . . Hillary doesn’t want to be shown up by Sarah . . . looks and star power.

To me, it is obvious. Sad as it may be, it IS a woman thing.

Marybeth on September 17, 2008 at 1:26 PM

there is an email they have posted between her and Parnell about Young and the primary race. Nothing bad in it, she obviously doesnt like mr. “Bridge to Nowhere”

jp on September 17, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Hillary reminds me of Lucy in the Charlie Brown comics. Just when you think she’s going to do something mature that will benefit someone else…bam, she pulls the old switcheroo. Well, I fell for it…again. I saw that article and thought how cool, Hillary is going to join a cause. Before I could blink an eye she backed off and got all selfish again.

scalleywag on September 17, 2008 at 1:27 PM

I just hope all of the people Hillary is supposed to be looking out for from her senate seat remember this on election day,would be funny to see her voted out of the senate because she couldn’t show up on the same stage with Sarah lol. Man I gotta get more popcorn.

tee866 on September 17, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I’m inclined to think this way:
Hillary would be the Dem presence (i.e. Obama surrogate) at the rally. You gotta be kidding me. Doing this for Obama would lend him credibility in the Jewish community. She’s not gonna do that.
Palin’s presence is a plus for the GOP. Even if they disinvite her, she should still appear, even if she doesn’t speak. She can always talk after the rally. This lends her a touch of heft in a much-needed area.

Hillary is still thinking 2012. For that to happen, she needs to have Obama lose in 2008. She has done nothing more than the mechanical stuff on behalf of the Supreme Obot… nor do I expect her to.

either orr on September 17, 2008 at 1:37 PM

jp on September 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Hmmm… Yahoo mailbox?

With Yahoo’s inner cadre, I’d bet it wasn’t hacked, it was leaked.

White hat attack vice Black hat…

Romeo13 on September 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Hmmm…and Palin told Gibson three times that she wouldn’t interfere with Israel’s policy toward Iran one way or another. Shall we go for four?

I wonder how this will play with the Jewish vote…

Steve Z on September 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Democrats will slob dinner’s jacket’s knob, but Republicans?

Evil.

Guys in charge of regimes that hang 16 year old girls for the crime of being raped?

Just friends we haven’t met.

Hillary Clinton is a jackass, an idiot and a corrupt thief, and it’s good this story reminds us of these facts.

NoDonkey on September 17, 2008 at 1:47 PM

What I would pay to see is Hill and Palin in an old fashioned Annie Oakley shooting contest.

saved on September 17, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Lipstick. Lipstick. It’s lipstick.

YYZ on September 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I think we’re all in agreement that Hill ‘n Bill care only about Hill ‘n Bill. Their priority is: Self before Party before country.
Given that state of affairs, it makes sense from Hillary’s point of view that she fears Palin and doesn’t dare allow this meeting and inevitable public comparison, in which Hillary can only come off the lesser. She can give the superficially arguably plausible excuse of not wanting it to become a “political event”.
It’s a paper-thin veneer of phoniness, hypocrisy and warped values…but, Hey, we ARE talking about a Clinton here.

DavePa on September 17, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Everything is political with Madame Hillary, the opportunist. It’s too bad that she doesn’t consider being an American first, one who presents a united face of protest against the hostile representative of Iran.

onlineanalyst on September 17, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I think Hillary knows exactly what she’s doing.

Making a stink about things just guarantees additional attention on the day.

Very elegantly done.

ClintACK on September 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I totally agree. The non-event becomes a now event. Even better will be calls for her to reconsider in the coming days. I’m sure she already has the speech prepared . . .

Angry Dumbo on September 17, 2008 at 2:11 PM

(Perhaps already stated) Wasn’t McCain and Obama together at ground zero just a few days ago?

right2bright on September 17, 2008 at 2:42 PM

I swear I’m going to beat the crap out of a leftard before the end of this election. —Blake on September 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM

LOL

bridgetown on September 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Sarah Palin action figures have more guts than a Clinton democrat. geez

Drunk Report on September 17, 2008 at 3:03 PM

What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?

Attendance.

Jim Treacher on September 17, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I C&P this from the headlines topic.

This is another action designed by the Hitlery machine to undermine The Messiah’s run at the presidency.

Who benefits from this? McCain/Palin. SP gets to be the one who puts partisan politics aside to help support a traditionally democrat group (The Jewish community).

If Barry O is elected, Hitlery is out of the loop for the election of 2012. He would be the de facto candidate for the dems. With McCain/Palin in, and Barry O tossed on the ash heap with Gore and Kerry, “Cankles” gets to say “I told you so!” to the dem base. She is a shoe in for the nomination. AND if McCain/Palin fall flat on their faces, she gets the nod because the 2008 rep change mantra was proven to be more BS.

csdeven on September 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Librul priorities.

oakpack on September 17, 2008 at 6:12 PM

SHe’ll be bock!

johnnyU on September 17, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Hillary is so bitter that she is clinging to her guns and about to go to church, suspicious of people from other countries…..well, you know.

kayo on September 17, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Um the betrayal of Gen. Petraeus was worse, unless of course Iran nukes Tel-Aviv

Gwillie on September 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Hilary is smart.
A side by side comparison of the recently defeated Hillary Clinton to an ascendant Sarah Palin would lodge in the electorate’s mind to the detriment of Ms. Clinton’s ’12 presidential aspirations should the McCain/Palin ticket win this year.

Prediction: Hillary will not appear anywhere with Sarah until after the election.
As much as I abhor her “progressive” political views, she is a magnificently astute political animal.

phineas on September 17, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Iran is a dangerous Country. Shouldn’t be taken lightly either. Of course, Obama doesn’t think Iran is dangerous. Maybe Israel will take care of Iran themselves. Israel has a right to do as they see fit. We use to back Israel up at the drop of a hat. Lately, it has been the opposite.

sheebe on September 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM

But…but..Hillary thought that she would be speaking to them alone!

Scott Free on September 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Blake on September 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Blake, beat them at the voting booth. Nothing will enrage them more.

Entelechy on September 17, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Or…beat the crap out of one as you’re leaving the polling place. Then you’ll be doing two good things.

SKYFOX on September 18, 2008 at 4:28 AM

phineas on September 17, 2008 at

Then why did she not see the Obama freight train coming at her?

SKYFOX on September 18, 2008 at 4:32 AM