Sebelius: Say, did you know Republicans are racists? Update: AP or Miami Herald tries cleaning up Sebelius’ comments

posted at 6:40 pm on September 16, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Hmmm.  Didn’t Barack Obama just get done scolding John McCain over “dishonorable” attacks?  Maybe he should save his criticisms for his surrogates, except that they’re parroting The One in his own baseless smears.  In Iowa today, Kathleen Sebelius continued the Obama tradition of calling Republicans racists, and the other Obama tradition of producing absolutely no evidence for the allegation:

Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius accused Republicans on Tuesday of injecting race into the presidential campaign, arguing that they are using “code language” to convince Midwesterners that Democrat Barack Obama is different from them.

“Have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African-American?” Sebelius asked with sarcasm. “(Republicans) are not going to go lightly into the darkness.”

Sebelius was responding to a question from the audience at the Iowa City Public Library about the tenacity of Democrats and whether they would fight for victory as hard as Republicans in the closing weeks of the election.

She did not elaborate on her comment.

Well, they don’t usually elaborate, because they don’t have any evidence of it.  It’s a smear, and has been shown thus by the Washington Post and ABC News during the summer.  And while Obama whines about McCain’s supposed lies, the purveyor of Hope and Change has been throwing mud at McCain ever since locking up the nomination.

There is nothing more dishonorable in politics than calling opponents “racists” without evidence.  It not only smears people who have tried to keep race out of the election, it is a McCarthyite tactic to silence critics.  It reveals in another fashion Obama’s Nixonian tendencies in reacting to any sort of criticism at all — shouting it down, smearing journalists doing their jobs, and branding any dissent from the One’s revealed wisdom as based on hate rather than genuine opposition to statist policies.

Kathleen Sebelius has decided to enable that kind of McCarthyism and mudslinging, without having the courage to provide an iota of evidence for it.  Perhaps Obama should have chosen her for a running mate; they appear to have the same perspective and philosophy, as well as sharing an ethical standard so low as to be invisible to the naked eye.

Update: The AP or the Miami Herald has edited this article to remove the “(Republicans) will not go lightly into the darkness” quote.  Fortunately, I saved a cached version of the article here.  It now reads:

Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday that a belief among some voters that Democrat Barack Obama is different from them is hindering his campaign for president.

Asked at a brown-bag lunch at the local library why the campaign is neck-and-neck, Sebelius said “code language” raising doubts about Obama is invalid because his life experience “has a lot more to do with me and my family.”

“I think that the notion that, ‘By the way, have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African American?’ I think that is for a number of people difficult,” Sebelius said. “I think we need to talk about the fact that that is a real issue.”

Why did this story get changed?  Did someone at the AP or Herald decide that it made the smear tactics just too obvious?  Clearly, someone got second thoughts about including that quote from Sebelius, and either the AP or the Herald need to explain their sanitation of Sebelius’ remarks.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Jim Geraghty, NRO

Ed Schultz calling Palin a “bimbo” and Bill Maher calling her “the stewardess” — that’s hunky-dory. But a book about Obama and his ties to Chicago corruption — that’s lowering the standards!

OBAMA THE INTOLERANT

Team Obama targets critics with the attack message:

The author of the latest anti-Barack hit book is appearing on WGN Radio in the Chicagoland market tonight, and your help is urgently needed to make sure his baseless lies don’t gain credibility.

David Freddoso has made a career off dishonest, extreme hate mongering, even calling legislation to protect people from hate crimes the “Thought Police.”

And WGN apparently thinks this card-carrying member of the right-wing smear machine needs a bigger platform for his lies and smears about Barack Obama — on the public airwaves.

Freddoso will be on WGN tonight from 9:00 to 11:00 to promote his new attack book against Barack.

Tell WGN that by providing Freddoso with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse.

Kristallnacht lullaby for Michelle’s children

maverick muse on September 17, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Sebelius is a brainwashed democratic robot. That is why Sarah has been so popular. The women of this country have seen the democratic women who have proven they can be just as hateful and corrupt as their male counterparts. Sarah is a breath of fresh air for a lot of women.

volsense on September 17, 2008 at 9:00 AM

*salutes Gen. ManlyRash and picks up rocket launcher*

Damiano on September 17, 2008 at 9:06 AM

That boomerang is going to smart when it hits you back, Governor. Voters will remember in November.

itzWicks on September 17, 2008 at 9:08 AM

I am sick of being told what a dumb-ass racist I am, how I’m just not quite sophisticated enough to vote for someone outside my race.

This is from Jake Tapper, ABC News Senior National Correspondent, reporting on “Obama Does Hollywood”:

Obama told the crowd: “We always knew this was going to be hard, and this is a leap for the American people.”

It’s not the “black” in you I won’t vote for, Obama; it’s the Obama. But what a convenient excuse you’ll have when you lose.

labwriter on September 17, 2008 at 9:16 AM

labwriter on September 17, 2008 at 9:16 AM

Just like the convenient excuses that will come flooding out of Republicans when McCain loses:

“It was the Liberal Media!!!”

“It was Bob Barr!!!”

“It was ageism & sexism!!”

Etc.

an_abstraction on September 17, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I am Latino and a republican. I guess by democrat’s standards I’m a racist. Shame on me.

pukara61 on September 17, 2008 at 9:39 AM

I just hope that Bush and all the State Governors have the National Guard on speed dial for election night; considering that there are already substantial threats of race riots, violence and civil disobedience.

Damiano on September 17, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Someone in Kansas should send this link to Gov. Sibelius:

The Bio-Logic of Coming to Be

ManlyRash on September 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM

The Secret Service also better do a better job at McCain’s victory speech than they did at the convention. – Damiano on September 17, 2008 at 9:59 AM

That’s why my gut tells me that this is going to be a McCain blowout. I can imagine riots in urban areas if the election is photo-finish squeaker; if it’s a landslide, there will be a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth but not much rioting.

I still belive in the provident mercy of God.

Inner Patton says: You goddamned better well believe. On the night before we ended the seige of Bastogne I prayed to the Almighty for good weather – and those prayers were answered. I stand in good with the Lord.

ManlyRash on September 17, 2008 at 10:05 AM

So I guess now all black republicans are self hating racists???

right2bright on September 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM

So I guess now all black republicans are self hating racists??? – right2bright on September 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Damn..I wish I had said that. Nicely done.

ManlyRash on September 17, 2008 at 10:09 AM

So I guess now all black republicans are self hating racists???

right2bright on September 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM

What do you mean “now”?

Jaibones on September 17, 2008 at 10:20 AM

pukara61

…and, like Mike Steele, Clarence Thomas, and scores of others, you’re a self-hating racist, as well.

Two for two. An achiever!

I’m content with being a white male, head of household, Christian, gun-owning, veteran, South Texas redneck brand of Republican racist. That means that I’ll never get Janeane Garafalo to come over for barbecue…allow me to pause and wipe a tear….

For the Left, it’s not enough that they have your vote…a vote is just a means to their end…they want your opinion as well. They would demand your soul, but they don’t believe in things metaphysical….

Puritan1648 on September 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Here in Missouri, we call her ‘kitty cat’. I guess we’ll have to amend that to “shrill, disingenuous, bigot kitty cat.”

But what everyone really wants to know is can this woman afford to take time away from her family for political aspirations?

locomotivebreath1901 on September 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM

The Iowa Independent also cleaned it up.

drjohn on September 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM

“(Republicans) are not going to go lightly into the darkness.”

I wonder if Katy was trying to quote Dylan Thomas but just couldn’t remember the words…

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Hogman on September 17, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Isn’t it the Dems who always talk about race? Ever hear the Right talk about it? No.

marklmail on September 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Barrack Hussein Obama is not black.

He is 1/4 ARAB 1/4 black and 1/2 white.

SaintOlaf on September 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM

That means that Mr. Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother’s side. He is 43.75% Arabic, and 6.25% African Negro from his father’s side.

Note to Sebelius: Obama’s not an African-American.

WolkingsWorld.com on September 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Can we get our story strait here? The last I heard, Obama didn’t have any actual Arab ancestors. Can anyone point to real, verifiable facts before we go around making fools of ourselves?
As I understand, converts to Islam often toss out their old names and take up Arab ones.

Count to 10 on September 17, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Hogman on September 17, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Well, the Democrat leaders are entering old age, and they do burn and rage an awful lot.

doppelganglander on September 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM

It doesn’t MATTER WHAT racial makeup Obama is.

What matters is that he is NOT qualified to be President.

What matters is that he WILl raise our taxes.

He WILL raise both our defict and our debt.

He is NOT the candidate for America.

originalpechanga on September 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM

It doesn’t MATTER WHAT racial makeup Obama is.

What matters is that he is NOT qualified to be President.

What matters is that he WILl raise our taxes.

He WILL raise both our defict and our debt.

He is NOT the candidate for America.

originalpechanga on September 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM

True, true.
The lack of experience is an easy target, but not really the problem–he would be a disaster just based on what he says he will do.
Obama, the candidate for more of the same…Carter policies. Or worse.

Count to 10 on September 17, 2008 at 11:28 AM

If he were 100% black then he would do worse or better?
We’ll never know…

Christine on September 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Or we can go with your strategy: ignore the 500lb gorilla in the room because the paid off MSM does..

SaintOlaf on September 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM

The 500lb gorilla is Obama’s ethnicity and race?

I don’t think so. It’s the correctness or incorrectness of his ideas, and whether we think he merits the office he seeks. It’s neither the race nor the religion of his forebears that should guide us, but rather the writings and works of the person himself.

Religion and race are orthogonal — you could be 50% black and 100% Christian, 100% white and 100% Islamic, or… I think you get the idea. So your numbers are totally disingenuous, and besides, sort of anti-Republican anyway. Republicans (ones who truly hew to the platform) judge individuals on their own merits, not by what little bins into which their parents or grandparents once fell; judging people on their parentage is a Democratic ideal.

I’m certainly not an Obama supporter, but I recognize intolerant thought when I see it. I recognize it when it comes from Obama, and I recognize it when it comes from you.

unclesmrgol on September 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM

If Obama was white would he be getting over 95% of the black vote?

albill on September 17, 2008 at 11:47 AM

If Obama was white would he be getting over 95% of the black vote?

albill on September 17, 2008 at 11:47 AM

yes, most democrats would vote for HITLER as long as he had a D after his name.

right4life on September 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Barrack Hussein Obama is not black.

He is 1/4 ARAB 1/4 black and 1/2 white.

SaintOlaf on September 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Count to 10 on September 17, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Who are you gonna believe: a Saint, or your own lying eyes?

Baldilocks, can you help here?

My BS-detector says, based on photographs of the man, that Barack Sr. is either 100% sub-Saharan or in the high percentile range.

Who are his Arab parents/grandparents supposed to have been?

IMHO: The topic *is* relevant inasmuch as such an allegation is used to undercut Barack’s claim to be “African”-American. Luo vs. Kikuyu, etc., I’m not qualified to judge.

(And clearly there are side issues I’m *avoiding* here, such as, “is an Egyptian both Arab *and* African?” and so on.)

RD on September 17, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Oops – sorry, the “Luo vs. Kikuyu” comment applies to the above sentence (100% sub-Sarahan), not the question of relevancy.

RD on September 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM

The 500lb gorilla is Obama’s ethnicity and race?

unclesmrgol on September 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Somebody’s not paying attention..

The 500 lb gorilla is not Barack Hussein Obama’s race or ethnicity….it is his islamism and the fact that the Saudi prince Alwaleed has been grooming him to become president of the U.S. ever since he first helped him get into Harvard and the Harvard Law Review.
Watch:

And yes it is also a fact that the Saudi Kingdom owns MAJORITY interests in most of the major media outlets including Associated Press etc. etc. look it up on WSJ or Google finance.

SaintOlaf on September 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Rush is now on this, and crediting Captain Ed.

wildcat84 on September 17, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I want a decoder ring, too!

Badger40 on September 17, 2008 at 2:15 PM

What do you mean “now”?

Jaibones on September 17, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Now and forever? Just trying to be literary, by you are more accurate.

right2bright on September 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Wait a minute…Obama is black, that’s like saying Kerry was a Nam vet…Pelosi uses Botox…Edwards cheats on his cancer ridden wife…Rangel is a thief…Reid looks like a mortician…and Biden is stupid.
Who woulda thunk…

right2bright on September 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is a moron? I have.

He’s black too? No matter, stupidity everything. I’d vote for Michael Steele in a minute but Obama is an idiot.

Metro on September 17, 2008 at 7:26 PM

For reiteration ad infinitum, there’s nothing racist about ninety percent of blacks voting for The Empty Suit, however, without exception, one white vote for McCain is (racist).

Divisive?

Nah.

BJ Phisch on September 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Just keep on callin’ half the country racist.

Vote for me you RACIST!

Let’s see how it works for you.

Mojave Mark on September 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM

b.o. is the huge-est racist ever to run for President. I dislike him very much. Here’s a picture of him

sansabelt on September 18, 2008 at 12:11 AM