Anti-Murtha ad getting play in PA

posted at 9:00 am on September 15, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Pennsylvania has become an important battleground state for the presidential election, but it also has another important race with national implications.  William Russell, a veteran of the Iraq War who had to delay campaigning until his official release from the military, is running against John Murtha for Congress.  Russell hopes that Pennsylvanians in his district will deliver a measure of justice against Murtha for his attacks on Marines accused of, and ultimately cleared of, war crimes:

The most effective ads use the opponent’s own words against him, and Murtha supplied many examples for Russell to use. This ad reminds people of Murtha’s rush to pillory Marines in combat in order to support his own political angle, and how Murtha has remained strangely silent when his allegations were exposed as smears.  Russell is running it now, and we’ll have to await the election to determine whether its effect is enough to push Murtha out of Congress and into retirement.

If you want to assist Russell in keeping this ad on Pennsylvania television screens, you can donate to his campaign through his official website.

Comments

wonder if Happy Jack Mothras will finally own up to his idiocy?

sven10077 on September 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM

I saw this a couple of days ago, linked from some other blog. Devestating. I can’t think of a single politician I’d like to see out of office before Murtha.

BadgerHawk on September 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Suck it, Murtha

DaveC on September 15, 2008 at 9:03 AM

Love it!!!!

John Doe on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Murtha is favorite to be re-elected :|

lodge on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Just made a contribution. I suggest everyone here send Russell $25.

We have possibly 5 Democratic House seats in play in PA. McCain/Palin will have big coattails all over the state. The Dems in the state House are still mired in a big scandal over bonuses and Ed Rendell is only half-assedly supporting Obama. This is a huge opportunity for the GOP.

rockmom on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Would any sane person vote for this man? Murtha is the typical democrat. He says a lot about the people of Pennsylvania.

volsense on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Murtha is a seditious, low life, lying turd and how the people of that district can elect his is a mystery beyond comprehension. It’s disgusting what some citizens will do for a few government bucks.

rplat on September 15, 2008 at 9:08 AM

rockmom on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Done. I really don’t like John Murtha.

ctmom on September 15, 2008 at 9:11 AM

I feel so tempted to skip on my bills to donate instead. Murtha is a stain on America, and it’s worth any amount of money to get rid of him.

I’d like to see a sculpture depicting Murtha’s smear, but cannot think of an image that would do justice. It should be a sculpture to last the ages, to remind people that blind political ambition is no license to smear honorable Marines.

stonemeister on September 15, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Go Russell! That was a great ad, I hope it
wakes up the voters in Pennsylvania

Mulligan on September 15, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Murtha is loved in PA because he brings home the Pork, unfortunally this is the wrong reason to re-elect a poli and I hope the PA citizens prove me wrong.

cmptrnerd on September 15, 2008 at 9:13 AM

It’s a wonder we are as far along in the war on terror as we are. With elected officials hampering the armed forces in every way possible.
There are two things I think the next POTUS could due to increase the militaries effectiveness.
First, unembed “journalists” with the front line troops, they are doing more harm than good. Just look at all the fuel they have given to Murtha and his ilk.
Second, change the rules of engagement. Roll them back to WWII or even Korean War standards. Can’t put the military on the ground and not allow them to act in a military manner.
Don’t really care what the polls say, looks like the democratic legislators are in for a beat down this November.

Tommy_G on September 15, 2008 at 9:16 AM

IN COLD BLOOD

The Liberal Democrats claim they have to restore
America’s good name abroad,they say Bush has
caused damage!

Here is a grand example,of painting the US Military,
as monsters,and besmirching the fine men and woman
of the US Armed forces!!

Its the Liberal Democratic Party who has been the
one’s doing all the damage!

In Cold Blood Murtha,his accusations,in his
own words paints America as evil!!

IDIOT,me thinks!!

canopfor on September 15, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Tough row to hoe, but I wish Russell well. Hope he gets the financial support to run a strong campaign on a very short track.

Jaibones on September 15, 2008 at 9:19 AM

This is a huge opportunity for the GOP.

Which means the GOP will find a way to screw it up.

Fletch54 on September 15, 2008 at 9:19 AM

“Never underestimate the Republicans ability to blow an election”

I think it was Hannity that said that

anniekc on September 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM

volsense on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

His existence in continued Congress says more about the shape of his district than it does about the people of Pennsylvania. It’s a just a little gerrymandered to pick up the heavily Democrat Appalachian towns without so much of the rural areas. But even this goofy map might not save him this time. Even the folks in Johnstown, Washington etc are going to vote for McCain and Russell in large numbers.

forest on September 15, 2008 at 9:23 AM

cold blooded liberal who hates the USA. thanks a lot Jack

custer on September 15, 2008 at 9:25 AM

volsense on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

You know what? As a Pennsylvanian who has never voted for Murtha, I’d like to tell you to get bent.

You are generalizing the opinions and the character of an ENTIRE state of people… MOST of whom have never voted for Murtha. Jackass.

thePajamaPundit on September 15, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Oh how I wait with bated breath for the Official Howlin’ Jack Murtha response to this one!

I am sure it will be a doozy.

I am also sure it will fall flat on its face.

Just as I hope Murtha also does in November.

As I also hope he does when these Marines sue him into poverty.

pilamaye on September 15, 2008 at 9:26 AM

It’s one thing for tools like Olbermann, Matthews, et al to spew this sort of fallacious bilge. But when it’s coming out of the mouths of elected officials, it’s not only stupid, it’s downright dangerous.

ZK on September 15, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Are you all upset that Murtha questioned the honour and morals of the military by supporting the investigations or because he used them for scumbaggy political gain?

I would assume you would want all allegations of war crimes to be thoroughly investigated.

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Anti-Murtha ad getting play in PA

Thanks for serving, now please leave. Any good you’ve done in the past have been offset by your hate America, and Code Pink BS. In other words, adios Dickhead!

byteshredder on September 15, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Great ad! Ya know, Murtha was in the Marines so I bet he knows what a Bravo Foxtrot is. A Bravo Foxtrot is the worst thing one Marine can call another Marine (aside from being called a cook). Murtha is a Bravo Foxtrot (and he was probably a cook too).

srhoades on September 15, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

We’re upset with Murtha for convicting the Marines in advance, saying they clearly committed the war crimes, before any investigation even started!

stonemeister on September 15, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

gypsum, are you saying that in your world, the way to “support an investigation” is to pronounce a verdict before the investigation has even started?

Nice attempt to use lies to change the subject. Your specialty.

MarkTheGreat on September 15, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

They were being investigated at the time, he passed judgement and said, “They did these things,” before the investigation had even really started. He’s a Bravo Foxtrot (for you non-Marine types that Buddy . . . er, Fornicater).

srhoades on September 15, 2008 at 9:34 AM

That the people of Pennsylvania have continued to vote Murtha into office time after time, does not say much about the honor of those voters. This guy should have gotten the boot after ABSCAM.

katieanne on September 15, 2008 at 9:34 AM

thePajamaPundit on September 15, 2008 at 9:26 AM

I know how you feel, never having voted for Carl Levin. All of Northern Michigan hates him, yet the Southeast part of the state keep re-electing him and the GOP can’t put up anyone to run against him. And speaking of the GOP’s ability to blow an election, can we say Spencer Abraham. Up by 25 points 2 months before the election and losing to Debbie Stabenaw by 10 points.

flytier on September 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Just made a contribution. I suggest everyone here send Russell $25.

rockmom on September 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Done! I’m a native Pennsylvanian and am always so frustrated that the state keeps voting for this windbag!

Go RussellBrigade!

Everyone donate $25!!!!

ConMom on September 15, 2008 at 9:36 AM

As a veteran, think that is one of the most powerful political ads I have seen.

coyoterex on September 15, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Anti-Murtha ad getting play in PA

<br.
Jack Murtha’s a left wing obligatory turd. Let’s hope he gets the voters pink slip that he deserves.

byteshredder on September 15, 2008 at 9:38 AM

thePajamaPundit on September 15, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Good point . . . but more do vote for him than don’t, and that’s why his raunchy butt is still in office.

rplat on September 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

somewhere, a lonely toolbox is missing its contents..

He convicted them BEFORE any investigation fool…

stlpatriot on September 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

katieanne on September 15, 2008 at 9:34 AM

As I explained above, with a visual aid, Murtha is not elected by the people of PA. He’s elected by the gerrymandered 12th district. If he were a senator, they whole state would be responsible. But he’s not even safe in his little fiefdom anymore either.

forest on September 15, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Murtha is a disgrace as a human being. Done.

adamsmith on September 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM

I was just asking the question you yahoos.

I’m not so familiar with Murtha’s antics.

Sounds like he convicted them before the investigation was over.

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Is there room under the bus for Murtha???

pherrman on September 15, 2008 at 9:47 AM

This ad is fantastic! What an absolute dream come true if Russell wins. Does anybody know if he has a realistic chance to beat that disgusting piece of slime?

ErinF on September 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM

How can I send my donation to Mr Russell? I’m a Californian, we don’t have politicians with his grit out here.

FireBlogger on September 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I guess you’ve crashed the website.

I want to contribute, but can’t get through.
But you can be certain I’ll keep trying.

jeanneb on September 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Sounds like he convicted them before the investigation was over.

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM

That’s correct. It was and is outragious. The whole basis of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty. Murtha’s behavior was disgusting.

Spirit of 1776 on September 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

I am from Louisiana and I made a small $40.00 donation for his campaign {Hey – that is 10% of the annual total Biden and Gore donated to their favorite charities}.

Murtha has to leave Congress {Murtha – Public Service means Service to Murtha ONLY}

Panentheist on September 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I was just asking the question you yahoos.

I’m not so familiar with Murtha’s antics.

Sounds like he convicted them before the investigation was over.

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM

No, not before it was over……BEFORE IT STARTED!!

Talon on September 15, 2008 at 9:58 AM

I’m not so familiar with Murtha’s antics. – Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM

You are “not so familiar” with a great many things in the U.S., Rywall.

ManlyRash on September 15, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Silly troll, even the most moronic idiot understands that war is messy. What does that say about you?

Honor is not spelled with a “u” in this country. Learn our language or leave.

leetpriest on September 15, 2008 at 10:24 AM

***PA resident update: this ad has been seen by me two or three times in the last 12 hours alone..

first time — during the STEELERS-BROWNS night game on NBC (imagine the $$$ shelled out for that!)

second time — this morning on MSNBC

third time (if i remember right) — on good morning america

keep it up!

battleoflepanto1571 on September 15, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Mr. Rywall, Couple of quick questions:

Did you watch any of Murtha statements when this story first broke?

Doesn’t our legal system operate under the presumption of innocent until proven guilty?

Isn’t our system of government divided into three branches, Legislative, Judaical and Executive?

Isn’t Murtha a member of Congress, therefore a member of the Legislative branch?

If you answered yes to all these questions, which being a man of intelligence I’m sure you did, you would know that most of the commentators here aren’t advocating that war crimes shouldn’t be investigated. However, lets give these men and women who serve the same rights you and I enjoy.
A presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Not found guilty by some “blowhard” politician, but found guilty in a court of law.

SPIFF1669 on September 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM

WOW, well done…

reshas1 on September 15, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I’ll pray for Russell’s victory.

Tim Burton on September 15, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I’ve been sending dollars to Russell since August. And I live in Houston, Texas. Please ya’ll, help get Russell elected and get this bloviated bastard Murtha out!

Neocon Peg on September 15, 2008 at 10:32 AM

You are “not so familiar” with a great many things in the U.S., Rywall.

Thanks, ManlyRash. This guy is aggravating.

ErinF on September 15, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Honor is not spelled with a “u” in this country. Learn our language or leave.

leetpriest on September 15, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Your statement is true for Americans only. This is an international site.

OldEnglish on September 15, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Your statement is true for Americans only. This is an international site. – OldEnglish on September 15, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Indeed it is, and that was an idiotic remark for leetpriest to make.

On the other hand, I’m sure you realize that you people drive on the wrong side of the road. :-)

ManlyRash on September 15, 2008 at 10:40 AM

The Russell Shock Troops were out in full force at the McCain rally in Washington PA last weekend. It’s the next district over from here, but I donated and shook Russell’s hand.

rightwingprof on September 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM

I have a feeling if McCain is elected, forget the pork, Murtha will have a difficult time bringing home a ham sandwich.
They elect him because he brings in so much money…the tap will be closed for this louse.

right2bright on September 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM

great ad I love it.

“Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs
and should be arrested, exiled, or hanged.”
Abraham Lincoln-1863

la.rt.wngr on September 15, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I’m sure you realize that you people drive on the wrong side of the road. :-)

ManlyRash on September 15, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Nope, just the one side. :)

OldEnglish on September 15, 2008 at 10:47 AM

To me, Rep. Murtha is the very embodiment of everything that is wrong with politics and he needs to have his butt punted as an example to the others.

G-man on September 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I’m short on cash but just gave $10. While I was in Baghdad Murtha was saying the mission was a failure and accusing Marines of being guilty before a hearing was held, much less a trial.

Jason on September 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Don’t just pray for victory. I’m sending $50 to Russell today. The ABSCAM beast Murtha must be slain. Let’s chip in if we can, and don’t listen to the polls, which are almost always wrong.

Western_Civ on September 15, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I just got my update from the Russell Campaign. Money raised by both candidates:

Murtha
From PACS – $525,250 (32%
Individuals – $1,102,920 (68%)

Russell
From PACS $500.00 (0.0005%)
Individuals – $917,544.07 (99.999%)

I’m sending more money today. Murtha CAN be beaten.

If you want to mail a check to his Campaign, here’s the address:

The Processing Center
Russell for Congress
P. O. Box 96102
Washington, DC 20077-7043

Neocon Peg on September 15, 2008 at 11:17 AM

OldEnglish on September 15, 2008 at 10:47 AM

We drive on the right side; you, the correct side.

jackmac on September 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Go Russell! Sorry i cannot contribute, there are so many who I would love to send money to!

Christine on September 15, 2008 at 11:44 AM

I hope Murtha gets hammered into the ground.

GarandFan on September 15, 2008 at 11:52 AM

jackmac on September 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Good one!

OldEnglish on September 15, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Until people in his district are willing to part with his earmarks for that same district, good luck in unseating him. Going after him over the Haditha thing won’t be enough. It’s the earmarks (which has created many jobs and helped the economy in PA’s 12th district) which keep him in office. As a vet, I want him gone as much as anyone, but it’ll be very difficult. He feeds and clothes the people that elect him.

RMCS_USN on September 15, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Yes! — send that senile Murtha into retirement…it’s horrific how he smeared those Marines.

Richard Romano on September 15, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I don not usually get involved in out of state politics… This though needs my involvement, with a CAMPAIGN DONATION to MR. RUSSELL… This is one piece of VERMIN that PA needs to RETIRE this year…

pueblo1032 on September 15, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Murtha’s stench wafts into my PA district with every Eastern breeze. I beg you to help us get rid of this festering sore in our state.

jay12 on September 15, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Is there any recent (and reliable) polling on this race?

18-1 on September 15, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Powerful ad. I feel sick.

amkun on September 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Great ad. Happy retirement Murtha.

RobCon on September 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM

You admit that you aren’t familiar with this case, yet you were willing to way in with a definitive opinion in your first post.

So you are admitting that you often pontificate on things you know nothing about?

MarkTheGreat on September 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Russell has it tough, because he’s got to spend in two TV markets — the relatively inexpensive Johnstown-Altoona one, and the significantly larger and more expensive Pittsburgh one — to reach his entire district.
Next ad:
Get the audio from Abscam, on which Murtha skated. Play that over and over again. As I recall the quote, “Maybe we can do business later.”
Facts… not smears… facts.
However, this from the Official Left Wing Dictionary:

Smear: Truth which, if accurately reported, will cause damage to our cause.

either orr on September 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Honor is not spelled with a “u” in this country. Learn our language or leave.

leetpriest on September 15, 2008 at 10:24 AM
————
Thanks for the grammar advice, Captain Illiterate. I’m not American, so there are a few differences in the way I spell things. It appears that it’s too difficult for you to grasp that there are other English speaking countries outside the US.

Why don’t you go protest at that English-only sandwich shop in Philadelphia and make yourself feel better.

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Devastating.

Those look like tasty words…Eat ‘em up, Murtha.

Make sure you give Jack a roll of toilet paper to wipe his mouth with since he talks so much sh*t about the USA.

Black Adam on September 15, 2008 at 3:23 PM

YESSSSSSSSSS

oakpack on September 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I know you are trolling and all…but that just doesn’t make any sense.

18-1 on September 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Murtha-The pig that has never worn lipstick(or just maybe..

adamsmith on September 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM

I donated months ago – and by the looks of this commercial, money well spent. Good bye Murtha!

warriorlawyer on September 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM

that’s a really well done ad

tlynch001 on September 15, 2008 at 11:25 PM

I think at the end of the ad, when he showed how many have been acquitted, he should have shown, “…and Murtha has yet to respond publicly”.

91Veteran on September 15, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Aprender espanol!

VinyFoxy on September 16, 2008 at 3:42 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM

As I understand it, this is a locally famous “sandwich shop” (as you call it) that is very busy almost all the time. As such, they – the English-speaking employees – cannot provide quick service to people they cannot understand. The owner’s request to “…please speak english” is meant to speed up the long lines and as a mild rebuke to those who come to reap the benefits of living in the US without at least learning our language. Pretty tame stuff to be bitching about.

SKYFOX on September 16, 2008 at 4:56 AM

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM

As I understand it, that is a locally famous cheese-steak shop that is very busy almost all the time. The English-speaking employees (they don’t hire illegals there) don’t have time to deal with non-English speakers and still provide speedy service to their customers. The owners admonition to “…please speak English” is meant to speed up the long lines AND as a mild rebuke to those who come to America to reap the benefits of living in the greatest country on the planet, but haven’t the time or inclination to learn our language. Pretty tame stuff over which to get your knickers in a wad.

SKYFOX on September 16, 2008 at 5:02 AM