Why can’t McCain e-mail? Boston Globe explained it in 2000; Update: So did Forbes

posted at 7:15 pm on September 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, Barack Obama’s campaign released an ad attacking John McCain for not knowing how to send an e-mail.  Their crack research team apparently never heard of Google or Lexis-Nexis, but Jonah Goldberg does.  He discovers why McCain doesn’t use a keyboard — his torturers made sure he couldn’t.  The Boston Globe reported it eight years ago:

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain’s severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain’s encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He’s an avid fan – Ted Williams is his hero – but he can’t raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball.

After Vietnam, McCain had Ann Lawrence, a physical therapist, help him regain flexibility in his leg, which had been frozen in an extended position by a shattered knee. It was the only way he could hope to resume his career as a Navy flier, but Lawrence said the treatment, taken twice a week for six months, was excruciatingly painful.

”He endured it, he wouldn’t settle for less,” said Lawrence, who rejoiced with McCain when he passed the Navy physical. ”I have never seen such toughness and resolve.”

Making fun of a war hero’s severe injuries — smooth move, Team O.  Talk about computer illiteracy!  Doesn’t anyone on the Obama campaign know what they’re doing?  Didn’t it ever occur to them that a man who can’t raise his arms above his head might have a physical barrier to using a computer?

If this is what happens when they takes the gloves off, maybe they should just keep them on in the future.

Update (AP): I’m not sure how he’s accessing the ‘Net given his injuries, but he does appear to have some kind of access. From an NYT interview in July:

Q: What websites if any do you look at regularly?

Mr. McCain: Brooke and Mark show me Drudge, obviously, everybody watches, for better or for worse, Drudge. Sometimes I look at Politico. Sometimes RealPolitics, sometimes.

(Mrs. McCain and Ms. Buchanan both interject: “Meagan’s blog!”)

Mr. McCain: Excuse me, Meagan’s blog. And we also look at the blogs from Michael and from you that may not be in the newspaper, that are just part of your blog.

Q: But do you go on line for yourself?

Mr. McCain: They go on for me. I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I don’t expect to be a great communicator, I don’t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need – including going to my daughter’s blog first, before anything else.

Maybe he’s able to move the mouse so he can access sites bookmarked for him?

Update (Ed): Jonah Goldberg makes an excellent point in an update:

Lord knows I think the chicken-hawk arguments are stupid. And I don’t think the fact that Obama never served in the military should count against him in and of itself. But how stupid is it for the Obama campaign to claim that McCain is unqualified to be president because he can’t grasp cyber-security issues based on the fact he has never sent an email when the McCain campaign can just as easily say Obama can’t understand first order national security issues because he’s never fired a rife, flown a plane, commanded men in battle, or faced an enemy? I mean which prepares someone to be commander in chief better, hitting “send” on AOL or fighting a war?

In fact, didn’t Obama just make all of those arguments valid and fair?

Update II: Ace notes that Forbes Magazine noted McCain’s disability in 2000, too:

In certain ways, McCain was a natural Web candidate. Chairman of the Senate Telecommunications Subcommittee and regarded as the U.S. Senate’s savviest technologist, McCain is an inveterate devotee of email. His nightly ritual is to read his email together with his wife, Cindy. The injuries he incurred as a Vietnam POW make it painful for McCain to type. Instead, he dictates responses that his wife types on a laptop. “She’s a whiz on the keyboard, and I’m so laborious,” McCain admits.

How difficult was this for a campaign to find before they ran an ad embarrassing themselves?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

Barry needs to learn the googles and the interwebs.

lorien1973 on September 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Haha! Great work Jonah Goldberg!
I love it; this will backfire like the idiots who talked about his teeth – which were knocked out by his captors to the gums.

carbon_footprint on September 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

You stay classy, Team O.

Pasalubong on September 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

New Obama ad: “John McCain: Not cool enough to play Grand Theft Auto like me and Joe Biden.”

Pasalubong on September 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Hey, McCain could fly jets with all the complicated instrumentation but somehow he is too dumb to send an e-mail?
Backfire Barry!

carbon_footprint on September 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

In Obama’s Next ad Joe Biden tells McCain to type the letter “W” repearedly on his computer while saying “Oh God Bless you you cant type so we will type for you…”

William Amos on September 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Dear Barry,

You’re doing it wrong.

Citizen Duck on September 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM

So now, either Obama retracts the ad, showing the incompetence of his organization….Or he lets it ride, proving he’s not fit to carry John McCain’s shoes.

Your move, Senator Obama.

tgharris on September 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM

I was outraged when I saw that ad, because that is exactly what I thought. Every time I see images of McCain on tv I realize his physical limitations and can only imagine the horrors he suffered.

This needs to be spread far and wide.

Team Obama and the messiah himself…Despicable to the end!

ConMom on September 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM

I wish a 527 would attack Obama on this. That made me angry to hear… Okay maybe they really didn’t know… but someone might have thought to ask… again McCain’s service could be highlighted.

petunia on September 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Maybe he’s able to move the mouse so he can access sites bookmarked for him?

Um, from the article it would seem just that…

Brooke and Mark show me Drudge

Editor on September 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM

hmmmm….

makes you wonder why they have to attack someone who was injured when they protect everyone else!

ugh, and blah!

upinak on September 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Maybe he’s able to move the mouse so he can access sites bookmarked for him?

That would seem reasonable. It’s much easier to do than typing.

backwoods conservative on September 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Jimmy Carter “John McCain is just using his military record to keep from saying why he doesnt use emails…”

William Amos on September 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Um, from the article it would seem just that…

Read the quote again. He goes on to say he’s learning to get online himself.

Allahpundit on September 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM

This just makes me like McCain even more.

Multibucket on September 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Whoa, I cannot wait to watch this one unfold…boy did you stumble this time Barry.

winewife on September 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM

ROVE!

Spirit of 1776 on September 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Maybe he’s able to move the mouse so he can access sites bookmarked for him?

Or he’s using speech recognition. Microsoft’s eh, poor initial showing of the technology notwithstanding, it’s become a pretty good interface method for folks with disabilities.

spmat on September 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Dear Barry,

You’re doing it wrong.

Citizen Duck on September 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM

THAT is a T-shirt.

Editor on September 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Bigger than Macacca?

faraway on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

William Amos on September 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM

lol!

carbon_footprint on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Oops…well maybe it’s the Obama team that needs to learn how to use the internet.

boomer on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Barack Obama is making fun of America’s disabled Veterans.

Elizabetty on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Maybe he’s able to move the mouse so he can access sites bookmarked for him

That’d be the obvious answer. Anything that doesn’t require typing. Even voice-activation could work for him now.

Spirit of 1776 on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Doesn’t anyone on the Obama campaign know what they’re doing? Didn’t it ever occur to them that a man who can’t raise his arms above his head might have a physical barrier to using a computer?

Apparently not.

NoFanofLibs on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

The one has bigger problems

Maris Poll it is a PDF file

However, Obama’s lead shrinks when looking at likely voters, including those who are leaning toward a specific candidate. 48% of likely voters support Obama while 45% are behind McCain.

William Amos on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Maybe we can get Joe Biden to taunt him: “Go ahead, Maverick, type a message.”

My collie says:

At least Microsoft has made some effort to enable people that possess a handicap.

Hmmm. How do OS X and Linux compare on this count?

CyberCipher on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Bigger than Macacca?

faraway on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Absolutely not. macacca was a made-up word, that is way more offensive.

Good job Obama. Epic fail.

Spirit of 1776 on September 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Barack Obama is making fun of America’s disabled Veterans.

Elizabetty on September 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

That is the ad from a 527 right there! Perfect! And how dare they….I am so digusted.

ConMom on September 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Maybe he’s able to move the mouse so he can access sites bookmarked for him?

It is probably very painful to type and hold his arms in a position to type.

Theworldisnotenough on September 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Wow, I’ve never seen a campaign implode before. It’s like watching a train wreck, or somebody jumping out of a plane with no parachute.

AubieJon on September 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Grr forgot to add that Marist poll is for NEW JERSEY. Obama leads in New Jersey by 48% to 45% for McCain

William Amos on September 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Y

ou stay classy stupid, Team O.

Pasalubong on September 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

NoFanofLibs on September 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM

There’s lots of ways to use a computer without necessarily being able to type.

Hell, I’ve worked with college kids who don’t have a clue how to do anything more with a computer than point and click, but can text message like nothing else. Takes finer motor/muscle skills to type with any sort of speed, but it also tenses the shoulder muscles mightily.

I can’t imagine the pain it would cause someone with his injuries.

Keep it classy, Dims.

Joan of Argghh on September 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Backfire in the hole!

Bruce in NH on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Man man man! What a “cringe moment”.

I just wonder, assuming Sean Hannity get a hold of this one (and obviously he will) how will Alan Colmes squirm out of it.

Blaise on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Obama’s next commercial: Is America safe with a president who can’t even tie his own shoes?

Do it, Barry. Please, do it.

Cicero43 on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Actually, there are plenty of photos of him online using a phone. Maybe he’s had surgery or rehabbed himself since the Globe article was written to give him more dexterity than he used to have?

Allahpundit on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

What a monumental jackass Barry is.

scotch amy on September 12, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Barry Hussein and ‘Black Shoulder Chip Momma Michelle” will make sure no military man will ever be injured like that again.

Wade on September 12, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Idiots…and they want to carry the football.

bopbottle on September 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Pasalubong on September 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Racist!!!!!

CanadianGuy on September 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

How great is it that the Party of PC are making these gaffes?

“Stand up, Chuck, let ‘em see ya! Oh Lord, what am I saying!
God love ya, what am I talking about…….You can tell I’m new!” -Joe Biden

carbon_footprint on September 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Allahpundit on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

You can press a phone against the side of your head and not have to grip it too much. That doesn’t take a whole lot of dexterity.

AubieJon on September 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

War wounds or not, it’s a dumb angle to attack. I often have to tell my dad how to get around the internet and he’s an executive for an international company worth 2 billion dollars. Being smart does not necessitate looking up the latest lolcat.

locke on September 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Barry has no Googles, cannot search for basic facts. Watch for his point at the debate…”John McCain can’t move his arms above his shoulders. Can he really be you POTUS?”

malan89 on September 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Sideshow oBama.

Scott Free on September 12, 2008 at 7:28 PM

I dont think that thequestion is if McCain can USE certain items but rather is it painful for him to do so ?

William Amos on September 12, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Lots of older adults don’t use the internet. Who cares? The man is clearly informed.

Team Obama is just grasping at any rope to get out of the quagmire.

Disturb the Universe on September 12, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Alan will say Obama was making fun of a disabled Vet, he was making fun of old people. oh wait.

aikidoka on September 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Doesn’t the MSM outlets have some sort of standards for the ads they accept?

News2Use on September 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM

McCain using cellphone

William Amos on September 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM

My god, I love irony.

holygoat on September 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Allahpundit on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Think how silly it would be for Obama to run around showing pictures of McCain holding a phone in front of a computer to prove that McCain is indeed capable of using a computer because it is a lie that his war injuries prevent him from doing so. We could not be so lucky. I hope they try this counter because it will enrage people more.

elduende on September 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Wow, simply wow. I saw the ad this morning and thought to myself, “He probably can’t even use the keyboard.” But I dismissed that thinking WRONGFULLY assuming that Team Obama would certainly do their homework before rushing out an ad that makes them look, once again, like haters.

grdred944 on September 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

“Of course he (McCain) became very friendly with the Vietnamese. They called him the Prince. He was well treated actually. And he was well treated because he traded these propaganda interviews for good treatment. So look, it’s a horrible story anyway you cut it, anyway you look at it, any way you you you deal with it.” – Randi Rhodes.

wise_man on September 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Maybe he’s able to move the mouse so he can access sites bookmarked for him?

There are plenty of ways for people with injuries and other disabilities to use computers. I had a completely blind coworker for a while, and he seemed to get by just fine. McCain could email if he really wanted to, but he’d need a special set-up, which, considering his job and schedule, is more trouble than it’s worth. A BlackBerry would likely be out of the question.

However, as big as a faux pas as this is, how many people do you think will catch it who haven’t already made up their minds? The blowback isn’t going to be nearly what it deserves to be: Like the pig with lipstick, this shows Obama and/or his staff as hopelessly cruel or hopelessly inept. Pick one.

calbear on September 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

The Obama ad quotes McCain as saying he didn’t know how to send an email, not that he couldn’t so its OK ya see. Put lipstick on that pig.

jawbone on September 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Mocks McCain as computer illiterate…

Ad…

Boston Globe, 2000: ‘[W]ar injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes’…

Drudge is on it! Awesome!

lorien1973 on September 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Barry and his cronies absolutely need to be exposed for this – mocking a war hero because of his injuries is inexcusable. Even the most rabid of his fans will agree with this.

lobstress on September 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Barack Obama is an @sshole.

Straight up.

nickj116 on September 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I can’t thank the comedy troupe of Barry and the Dems enough for their slapstick humor and hilarious hijinks that will pretty much guarantee a GOP victory in November.

They have to be the most insensitive and ill-informed mental midgets of all time.

Philly on September 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Allahpundit on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

people who have problems with their shoulders can use a cell phone, it is just the amount of time they can keep their arm up and how many nerves it take.

upinak on September 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Barack just may have lost the election…..again!

carbon_footprint on September 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM

McCain doesnt use the Internet

Obama doesnt know how to use it.

faraway on September 12, 2008 at 7:32 PM

There’s video of McCain saluting on his release from Hanoi. Obviously, his injuries have worsened as the years have progressed.

I am almost 50, and there are days when my body lets me know it….And (with the exception of a broken clavicle) my injuries were from nothing more than high school football, and various other athletics (slow-pitch…wally-ball, etc).

I can’t imagine how you’d feel after having the living snot beat out of you for 5 1/2 years.

tgharris on September 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

So, are these ads that Obama has payed to air, or are we basically doing his final edit for him?

Count to 10 on September 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Allahpundit on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Holding a phone to the ear or saluting (which I saw an old picture of him doing) can be done with the elbow kept below shoulder level. I notice when he waves to the crowds on the campaign trail he is able to bring his arm to shoulder level, but he doesn’t go above it.

backwoods conservative on September 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Wow, this is the first time team BO has pissed me off. For the first time I want to stand up to defend McCain.

In all honesty, If I were in government or corporate America I wouldn’t want to use email either, considering you are required to save every god damned email you ever send and receive.

redshirt on September 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

AubieJon on September 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Me either. I can’t stop gawking, and I hate people who stare at accidents.

/more popcorn

Cody1991 on September 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Making fun of a war hero’s severe injuries — smooth move, Team O.

Hmm, I think that’s unfair, Ed.

They were boneheaded for not checking out on this but their ignorance doesn’t constitute “making fun.”

They didn’t know. Yes, hammer them for that; but not for malicious or willful intent.

SteveMG on September 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Well, maybe the O team is a pretty sick bunch of puppies. I watch 102 minutes last night and part of it had the voice over from Pres. Bush talking to the nation that morning. And I thought of Michael Moore and the his Pet Goal theory. He’s obviously one sick person (what I really thought is a little more colorful).

Alinsky clearly says that the ends justify the means. Basically that the rich are bad people using unethical maneuvers and cronyism to cheat the little guy out of money, therefore the little guy is justified in using whatever means necessary.

r keller on September 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Only a damn fool would produce an ad like the latest Obama “Computer” farce. John McCain was a fighter pilot and I can guarantee that he operated computer systems and devices that were much more complex than dingbat Barry could even begin to comprehend. If he doesn’t personally use the computer it’s because he doesn’t want to not because he can’t. That Obama campaign must be filled with the dumbest bastards in the entire free world. Keep it up Barry you can only make yourself appear even more stupid.

rplat on September 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM

tgharris on September 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Take a closer look–McCains elbow never gets even with his shoulder in that footage.

Count to 10 on September 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Can they link this (with appropriate voiceover) together with Biden’s “Stand up Chuck” gaffe from… yesterday flowing right into “Everyone stand up for Chuck” flowing into McCain’s “Stand with me and fight” bit from the convention?

AnotherOpinion on September 12, 2008 at 7:36 PM

I don’t know how I feel about this…… I have a right leg that is smaller in muscle size than my left and my left is scarred. due to wounds from Nam…. people wonder why I limp but I never tell them, yet thay are so insensitive when I wear shorts …. I can forgive ignorance , but I have to say Obama’s people exercised in stupidity.

MNDavenotPC on September 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Mark Steyn with the tip-in. Ouch.

Karl on September 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM

tgharris on September 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

juliesa’s comment was a good summation of what he faced for the 5 1/2 years.

When he came home, the doctors did all they could. After 5 1/2 years, there were some injuries and the body’s re-growth over that couldn’t be repaired.

wise_man on September 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Well, I bet team ZERObama is happy that all the channels were talking about the computer illiteracy part of the ad (as there wasn’t much else in it, really).

Well, here we are … staring at B Hussein’s “experience” in action …

progressoverpeace on September 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Count to 10 on September 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Johnny Mc’s a lefty. That arm is jammed

Tony Soprano on September 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM

spmat on September 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM

One of my close friends was paralyzed in a car crash. She uses speech recognition software to send e-mails, and she’s starting to use it to take online courses to work towards a degree. The technology is pretty interesting.

BadgerHawk on September 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM

McCain has said he relies on his wife and staff to work the computer for him and that he doesn’t use e-mail.

Topsecretk9 on September 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Obama: Judgment to lead err!

Obama should put the Isotoners back on.

Dusty on September 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Allahpundit on September 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I don’t think it matters too much whether or not (and to what extent) McCain can physically use a computer.

The point is that when Obama decided to take of the proverbial gloves he could have chosen anything he wanted as an angle of attack. With an entire buffet of angles before him, his crack team chose the tired “he’s old and out of touch” angle. But, to compound their idiocy, they came at it in such a way that, for many, it once again highlights the sacrifices that John McCain made for his country as a POW.

In the ad making department, Obama’s team seems to be inept.

JadeNYU on September 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Remember when the left was making fun of his teeth — that had been bashed out of his mouth?

Topsecretk9 on September 12, 2008 at 7:40 PM

McCain Camp needs to send out an ad right now and blasting this to pieces. Why haven’t they done so yet?

Enoxo on September 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Before today I knew that McCain has lingering war injury problems, but didn’t know that he couldn’t comb his hair, type or tie his shoes.

Up until now I was growing a little weary of the military service meme. I think this had to do with the way that a great many of the Greatest Generation (including my dad) were reticent about their service. After hearing these new details about McCain’s day to day life that weariness has vanished.

rockhead on September 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM

BadgerHawk on September 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Dragon Speak is a great audio keyboard helper. Many people use it.

upinak on September 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Are we supposed to feel better about Barry’s presidential abilities since he can compose an email? I should vote for him so he’ll be able to email out hopenchangy messages to the world from the Oval Office?

This avenue of attack is for folks as stupid as his supporters. Seriously, does the president answer every email and phone call to the White House? Who the hell thinks this?

burnitup on September 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM

don’t hold your breath waiting for the MSM to make something of this.

JudetheFossil on September 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Not that long ago, Team Obama complained that McCain receives a significant check as a disabled veteran.

Combine that attack with this one.

And conclude with a challenge to townhall debates, in order to get the discussion back on the issues

Obama must be shamed into multiple apology on this one.

Right_of_Attila on September 12, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Cock gun again…….Shoot other foot!

conservnut on September 12, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Obama is attacking the disabled with his ad and not only that but a disabled veteran. Good work BO ol’ buddy, you stuck your foot in your mouth again.

Maxx on September 12, 2008 at 7:42 PM

tgharris on September 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Count to 10 on September 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Never paid attention, but it doesn’t surprise me in the least. And getting the tip of the finger to the right eye (or a cell phone to the ear) is a LONG way from raising your arms above the head.

tgharris on September 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM

lets just get this Straight:

BHO thinks that being a President is sitting in front of a Computer typing emails all day.

Shoot, even I COULD be President: **Rolles Eyes, falls off Chair**

upinak on September 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM

America falls in love with hero John McCain all over again if they play this right.

econavenger on September 12, 2008 at 7:44 PM

My dad, a WWII POW vet, was beyond upset about the whole computer thing. There are no computers in his home and he says there are lots of older people like him.

“It doesn’t matter HOW you get the information, it’s WHAT YOU DO WITH IT. Are they saying that no great decisions were ever made before computers took over our world?”

He also warned that Obama (he says “Obamba”, like La Bamba, but he’s not trying to be funny — when I correct him, he says “Right, Obamba”) had better stop attacking McCain personally, not to mention Sarah (that’s what he calls her, “Sarah” and he says it with the sweetest smile). If they get elected, he says he”ll be able to die in peace. That makes me smile.

Moxie on September 12, 2008 at 7:45 PM