“Tough” new Obama ad: Old man doesn’t use e-mail

posted at 12:20 pm on September 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Here’s what it looks like when The One “takes off the gloves.”

Frankly, I thought the previous 15 or so times he “took off the gloves” were much more effective. As it is, over at TNR, John Judis can’t hide his embarrassment. What’s especially stupid about the spot is that it’s a line of attack with a lot more downside than upside: No one outside of The One’s core nutroots constituency is going to be offended at the thought of McCain relying on one of his thousand aides or secretaries to answer messages, but there may be some offense taken by the 20 percent of Americans who don’t use e-mail themselves — many of whom are no doubt senior citizens.

And senior citizens are known for high turnout, aren’t they, Barry?

Exit question: If Internet savvy is a basic qualification for leadership in the modern age, how can it be that Billy Jeff — still a major figure in the Democratic Party and the head of an influential global charity — sent exactly two e-mails as president and remains offline to this day?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Hmm my 89 yr old Grandmother uses the internet.

She even goes to youtube.

This is NOT going to be good for Obama! What an IDIOT!

upinak on September 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Probably the most retarded ad I’ve ever seen.

Don’t vote for McCain because he doesn’t know how to use a computer!!!!! OH NO!!!!!

I don’t think I could possibly love David Axelrod more than I do right now.

nickj116 on September 12, 2008 at 12:23 PM

LOL.. Perhaps Barry should spend some of his money to get a new ad team. McCain’s ads are better and more creative. Ditto with Hillary’s during the primaries (See red phone..).

Illinidiva on September 12, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Nuance.

NoFanofLibs on September 12, 2008 at 12:23 PM

My wife’s older sister doesn’t have an e-mail address. Does this make her unqualified for for something other than receiving e-mail?

TooTall on September 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

God help us – John McCain can’t use PowerPoint?

Oh no……………….

jake-the-goose on September 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

This is a parody, right?

They’re not actually spending money on this thing, are they?

Slublog on September 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Problem is they’re trying to be funny in the way that The One was funny.

But they just don’t have the material.

Hey, look. Your guy thinks he’s the Messiah and has fainting worshippers who chant his name as their eyes roll back in their heads and he made up a phony presidential seal and on the night he was nominated he said he was gonna heal the planet and roll back the tides…

Well, yeah…so?…Your guy’s OLD!

Typhoon on September 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Obama on Fox.

Running against Bush still. Really?

lorien1973 on September 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Here’s what it looks like when The One “takes off the gloves diapers.”

That’s what they meant.

progressoverpeace on September 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

This is getting hilarious. They are trying to come up with their own Paris Hilton ad and they are failing miserably. The Paris ad was funny but made a very serious point – a lot of people are mindlessly following Obama but have not questioned whether he is ready to lead.

This ad just looks desperate.

poljunkie on September 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Stupid old guy doesn’t even know how to send text messages on a cell phone…that was made for talking into…and probably doesn’t have an iPod either…and if he does, it probably has Lawrence Welk tunes on it or something…stupid old dude.

/s

Wyznowski on September 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Dear god. Their ads are so bad. I can’t wait to see McCain’s crushing response.

What the hell do they gain from this ad? They annoy old people and impress…the myspace vote?

lodge on September 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

The October surprise – a picture of John McCain drafting a hand-written letter. Horrors!

Steve_Roberts on September 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

So……Obama dont use common sense…….that is much worst!

grapeknutz on September 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

If this is the best they’ve got then they’re in serious trouble.

Kronos on September 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

obama has said for the 8th time he will finally get tough and take the gloves off.

if this is it. he’s gonna lose. but keep it up obama.

venicesurfer on September 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Yeah, but McCain knows where the “button” is, and that is what concerns our enemy’s.
Iran and the Taliban, and whomever, won’t be sending any emails to McCain, and vice-verse…I want his hand off the mouse and on the button…

right2bright on September 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM

1982. Wow. Bad hair. Almost as bad back then as Joe Biden’s now.

wise_man on September 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Child predators use the internet to approach their victims, and we know Obambi uses the internet. Using their logic, wouldn’t this make Obambi not qualified to be president?? :)

poxoma on September 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM

In McCain’s case, if it’s “business related” there are security measures that he’d have to educate himself about as well, to send secure email. And for the personal stuff, he maybe just prefers doing it over the phone. It’s not an intelligence test.

RBMN on September 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Yep, good strategy in an age of seniors living longer, being more interactive and contributing more to society.

If anything, Obama is showing Mac’s experience and his own dumbheadedness in picking an old guy for his veep.

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Your campaign contributions at work, Democrats.

Andrew D on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I think they should keep pumping out ads just like this one.

The smell of desperation is awfully sweet right now.

Anna on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Hey, all of us posters are qualified to be president…I knew it…

right2bright on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

The continued use of the golf carts in these ads is entirely due to the fact that they don’t have any video of McCain in an old-folks scoot-about.

benjamin on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

What kills me is that this Obama’s campaigns plays it off as “McCain’s time in Washington.” If Washington-ness is the issue, why is Joe Biden on the ticket then?

Wineaholic on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Dear god. Their ads are so bad. I can’t wait to see McCain’s crushing response.

lodge on September 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

They are banking on the myspace/ American Idol vote.

Obama’s supporters are gonna be pissed when they learn on Nov. 5th that texting Obama4Prez didn’t count in the election.

Damiano on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Bill Clinton wrote his biography in long hand. I was shocked at the time due to his VP’s ‘computer genius’.

Clinton spent about two and a half years on the book, writing the content of the book. He gathered material for four months, wrote an outline, “and then I wrote for two years and two months.” The book’s editor was Justin Cooper. “I wrote it out long hand, left blanks for research, he’d do the research, put it in the computer, print it out, and then we’d edit it”, Clinton said. “Every page in this book has probably been gone over somewhere between three and nine times.” The original draft for the book was written completely in long-hand. “[There were] twenty-two big, thick notebooks.”[3]

Entelechy on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I’m five years younger than John McCain, but I am computer and net savy.

Do I care if McCain is not those things? No.

Do I care if McCain does not use emails? No.

Do I believe McCain will have people on his staff who can efficently and effectively do those things for him? Yes.

Do I think I can out *computer*, out email, and outthink those on the left that inhabit DKOS and DU? Yes; and I can do it with a lot more insight and a lot fewer four-letter words.

This ad is going nowhere for Obama.

Yoop on September 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

poljunkie on September 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Exactly. The left, in general, has been doing nothing but trying to turn around every attack the right has made on them. The problem is that the left doesn’t understand why the right made those attacks, as you point out. Their own ads are seering indictments of their own incompetence and stupidity.

It is almost comical. The Pee-Wee Herman school of political campaigning – “I know you are, but what am I?” It fits with their “Winnie the Pooh” school of national security.

progressoverpeace on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Can we get an office pool going on the exact day that McCain will die? According to most of the media and the Obama camp, it should take place shortly after Inauguration Day (also known as “Doomsday” in Democrat land). The “old fart” will then be replaced by the “Christian Inexperienced Extremist” Palin and the world will come to an end. Mark your calendar.

Steve McCullough on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

(And I don’t need a special decoder ring to figure that out.)

benjamin on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

I wonder if Obama can operate a jet fighter?

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Obama just won over the geriatric demographic…by making fun of them?

lol

ballz2wallz on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Lame. Prehaps Obama should leave his gloves on when he punches?

The font they used was pretty, Maybe they were trying to make it look old fashioned? But you don’t get the message quickly.

So if you turn the sound off…(I had to turn the sound on.) For awhile at least it looked like they were saying McCain had experience and wisdom. And then they toasted him… Strange.

petunia on September 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Oh and would someone just one time please ask Barry why we should believe he knows a damn thing about the economy?

Could Charlie Gibson sit him down and look down his glasses at him and ask him just how many businesses he’s run or how many classes he took in economics or just what he’s done to give us any reason to trust him this?

Please.

Typhoon on September 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

LOL!

nickj116 on September 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Gotta love this response from The Corner:

‘1982, John McCain goes to Washington’ [Jay Nordlinger]

A reader suggests that McCain respond, “Yeah — as part of the Reagan revolution. Which Biden and all the other Obama-like Democrats were doing their best to deep-six. Thank goodness they failed. But they keep cropping back up, trying to seize the reins of power.”

P.S. And wouldn’t it be cruel to say what Obama was doing in 1982 — as revealed in one of his memoirs?

P.P.S. And wouldn’t it be cruel to say what McCain was doing in the early ’70s, when Biden first started yappin’ and preening in the Senate?

eucher on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I’d rather having him keeping an eye on our shoreline than serving the ‘net.

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Steve McCullough on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

12/12/12?

Typhoon on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Reeks of Obama eletism

anniekc on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

No one outside of The One’s core nutroots constituency

Is it too much to hope for an Obama version of the Mentos ad?

MayBee on September 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I’d rather having him keeping an eye on our shoreline than serving serfing the ‘net.

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I know, the Preview button is my friend…

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I’d be careful with this kind of thinking. Al Gore invented the internet and then lost the election. What kind of odds does that give Obama?

Oldnuke on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

It is almost comical. The Pee-Wee Herman school of political campaigning -
progressoverpeace on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

And McCain says back, “I’m rubber and you’re glue what you say bounces off me and sticks to you!”

Well he doesn’t need to say that but that’s what is happening.

petunia on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I swear to God, if John McCain can’t use at least three variations of Linux, there is absolutely NO WAY I’ll vote for him. And he better know the line-up and cast of the television show “Lost”, then forget it. LOSER!

robblefarian on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

And this coming from a person that can’t even use technology properly – with a 3am text message…

Alex, I’ll take “Luddite over improper technology usage for 1000″

SkinnerVic on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

12/12/12?

Typhoon on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

GREAT! Myan Calender is a trucking thru!

upinak on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

In the immortal words of Pa Grape in The Yodeling Veterinarian of the Alps,

“Oh, yeah. That’ll work.”

Quisp on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Did you all notice that Obama has some kind of a growth next to his nose? Wonder what that might be?

poxoma on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I’d rather having him keeping an eye on our shoreline than serving serfing surfing (damn it!) the ‘net.

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I know, the Preview button is my friend…

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I quit!

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

The counter ad is so freeeeekin’ obvious….

The man’s a GD navy fighter pilot!
I think he’s a little more tech-savvy that your average moron with an iphone…
sheesh…

max1 on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

A friend said “It’s fun watching the Mile High Messiah implode in a cloud of inconsequential dust”, and

“Well, we now have a month and a half until election day, Russia grows more dangerous daily, North Korea is doing God-knows-what, Iran is pushing full speed for nukes, the US Navy has ships in the Black Sea, Syria is hosting the Russian Navy and Venezuela is hosting Russian bombers. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?”

And Obama shouts, louder and louder “Enough”, and “McCain is not computer literate”.

Toto pulled the curtain and exposed the One in toto.

Entelechy on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

When we look at all of the taxpayer money that Obama’s talking about spending it becomes pretty obvious he doesn’t know how to use a calculator.

Maxx on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Who gives a shit if McCain doesn’t use email?

JammieWearingFool on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Is this all Hussein’s marxists can muster? They are really getting into the silly range of the brain-o-meter.

saved on September 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM

They’re not actually spending money on this thing, are they?

Slublog on September 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Shhhhh. Someone linked yesterday to an article about Obama’s first ad buy, where he dropped like 1.5 mil on ads in Georgia, plus a ton of money in states like Montana and North Dakota. No wonder the campaign is a little strapped these days.

BadgerHawk on September 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM

poxoma on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Ever see Army of Darkness? Maybe it’s “bad Obama” growing a head!

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

“They are trying to come up with their own Paris Hilton ad ”

I can see it now – Obama in a bathing suit washing Air Force One, and getting all soapy …

exhelodrvr on September 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

What’s with the game show music in the background?

fogw on September 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

This from a party wanted us to believe Dan Rather and Mary Mapes knew how Microsoft Word worked four years ago…

jon1979 on September 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

12/12/12?

Typhoon on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I like it. It has a certain balance as opposed to the “unbalanced old man.”

Steve McCullough on September 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

max1 on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Excellent point.

progressoverpeace on September 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Keep firing Barry…in lashing out at age we’ll get some Grey Panthers from your aid….I am so enjoying your running McCain friendly ads.

sven10077 on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Something tells me that if Obama goes too negative, McCain has a lot more ammunition and Barry knows it.

OR

Barry is holding his fire for later and is trying to lull McCain into a false sense of security.

Nah.. I like the first one better.

GoodBoy on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

My 75 year-old grandfather uses email more than I do (ENOUGH with the forwards, Grampa!) This message is doomed to fail.

LastRick on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

I love the smell of *desperation* sweat in the morning.

My *exit* question:

If we were seriously attacked and hacked, and the cell towers and the internet went down, would Barack Obama know how to communicate with the American public?

Yoop on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

So where are the trolls applauding this hard-hitting ad?

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

poxoma on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

It’s a worry wart.

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

LOL!

nickj116 on September 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Obama guy, “But I pressed send 5,000,000 times!”

petunia on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Oh man that is great!
McCain should now come out with a video TODAY, with a fighter jet taking off of a carrier. ” Does Obama know how to use this computer? Because this ONE is used to defend our nation. John McCain knows how to use it…”

Ohhhh please please

HoosierCon on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Sexism. Ageism. Typical leftist hypocrites! They betray their own principles in order to obtain power. We have the moral high ground, they have the sewer.

FreeThinkerNYC on September 12, 2008 at 12:38 PM

All I can do is laugh. Pathetic. Watch out!! Or I will tell everyone you dont use the internet…Hahahaha!

Lunkinator on September 12, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I wonder if Obama can operate a jet fighter?

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Heh.

BadgerHawk on September 12, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Overt ageism is a-okay, I guess.

Just don’t call Obama disrespectful. That’s a code word for black.

Matticus Finch on September 12, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Maxx on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Not only can he not use on he thinks we can’t either!

Oldnuke on September 12, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I love the smell of *desperation* sweat in the morning.

Yoop on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Ok, that’s gross and you, my friend, are weird!

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

It’s a good thing that Obambi is so up to date with all these high tech stuff. I am sure his supportors will find out about his loss on election night instantly via text messaging. :(

poxoma on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Yeah, this isn’t going to win Obama any older voters…PA is the second oldest state in the nation, and Florida the oldest. Both critical swing states.

doubleplusundead on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

poxoma on September 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

It’s a worry wart.

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Can you die from that? Cause his dad died at 46 and his Mom died at 52 so he is about at his life expectancy.

petunia on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

This is what B.O. can dish out when he “takes the gloves off”, huh?

This reminds me of the untold numbers of poor schmucks who got sand kicked in their faces on the beach by some bully, went out and bought the Charles Atlas Workout Course, then after one reading, went out looking for the bully who kicked sand in their face in the first place so as to even the score and ended up getting their asses kicked because the bully also happened to be a black belt.

If this is the absolute best that B.O. can shell out, just as did the untold numbers of poor schmucks, he’s going to get his ass kicked on Election Day.

pilamaye on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Yoop on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Irrelevant, if Baracky were POTUS the world would love us.

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

It’s a worry wart.

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Damn, spit coffee on my monitor!

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Weak, weak ad.

However, the fact that McCain doesn’t know how to use a computer is unacceptable. It’s 2008.

If Obama didn’t know how to use a computer you yahoos would be all over him.

Dave Rywall on September 12, 2008 at 12:40 PM

IMHO, the less time the president spends surfing the net, emailing, and texting his fav five the better.

Also, I’m waiting with bated breath to hear someone in the MSM quiz Barry on the economy. I doubt that his understanding of it is much better than McCain’s. Aren’t the in and outs of the economy something that economists debate anyway? (i.e. supply-sides v. non-supply-siders, etc.)

rockhead on September 12, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Has Team Obama released any ad buy numbers and/or target electoral regions for this ad?

This ad does attempt to plug my strategy of “GET OUT THE YOUTH VOTE TO WIN” written all over it.

I need to know expenditures and target markets for this ad.

gabriel sutherland on September 12, 2008 at 12:40 PM

The leftie blogosphere loves the “confused old man” narrative and are completely oblivious to how offensive it is. They are basically saying that we should vote for Obama because he is young and “with it” while McCain is a “confused old man.” They are delusional if they think that will work.

dKap on September 12, 2008 at 12:40 PM

In all seriousness, this ad does illustrate what has been their problem all along, and why I’ve always felt Barry would in the end be such a weak candidate:

They just have no clue how to talk to anyone but themselves. To them, that McCain can’t use email is probably about as repulsive as if he had leprosy, and nearly as bad as if he was caught clinging to a weapon or a taking comfort in faith.

They’ve got a market they’ve got to reach–middle-aged, middle-class whites in the midwest–but they despise it.

Good luck on that sale, guys.

Typhoon on September 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

petunia on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Meanwhile Momma McCain is working out at the gym 7 days a week…

Mr_Magoo on September 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Barry just took off his gloves… and then started shrieking how dreadful his nails look.

Chuck Schick on September 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Obama will be the first U.S. president who challenges our enemies to a World of Warcraft tournament.

Cicero43 on September 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

I got it!

McCain should put out an ad of him e-mailing Obama. The e-mail would ask Obama to do townhalls.

lodge on September 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

The Obamessiah has released an ad that amounts to barely more than “Oh yeah? Well… NEENER NEENER on you old man!”

You guys’ smell that?

…smells like desperation; and impending victory.

FlatFoot on September 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

What a lame ad. He should do more of those.

AubieJon on September 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

That add will really work in Florida. Like gangbusters. The McCain campaign should run it in Florida if Obama doesn’t.

dKap on September 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

petunia on September 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Yes, because worry causes stress and stress causes ulcers and ulcers cause gangrene and gangrene causes blood poisoning and blood poisoning can kill you.

My God, Baracky could fall over dead at any time.

Bishop on September 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

eucher on September 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

That would be genius…

Use the same commercial, same 1982, same music, same pic of McCain in big googly eye glasses… except…

… McCain went to Congress and Barack Obama

*cut to studio 54 drug exchange*

went to his drug dealer.

Damiano on September 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Lets get a photo of the cockpit controls of an A-4, show it landing on a pitching carrier deck in bad weather, and point out that this attack aircraft is what McCain has operated.

Over to you BHO. Have you ever had a pilot’s lic.?

NaCly dog on September 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

at my work, everyone emails. It’s a pain in the behind sometimes. Because sometimes a phone call works better for explaining a person’s issue.

On Topic – FAIL. Epic fail.

mjk on September 12, 2008 at 12:43 PM