FRC Action Summit: Mitt Romney

posted at 7:50 pm on September 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Mitt Romney gave the keynote speech of the first day of the Values Voter Summit, and the crowd was ready to welcome him warmly.  For all of the analysis of how Romney didn’t gain much acceptance with evangelicals, the welcome seemed to put that notion to rest.

Romney stated up front that he was there as a surrogate for John McCain and Sarah Palin.  He told the crowd that Palin could “herself put the lipstick on the pitbull”.  As for Obama, Romney hit him with his vote on protecting infanticide, which got a huge response.

Romney focused on foreign policy in his address.  China has begun a massive military build-up, and needs attention.  Who can we trust to remain toughest on this front, and demand the renovation of our armed services?  It won’t be the man who campaigned on ending new weapons projects.  “The best ally peace has ever known,” Romney said, “is a strong America.”

Leadership isn’t guaranteed in the histories of nations.  For the past few centuries, Britain ruled the waves.  Now we do, but that won’t remain the case unless we have leadership that values strength.  We need people willing to invest in military infrastructure to extend our strength into the new century.

In order to do that, we need a strong economy in the long term.  We leverage free enterprise, combined with freedom, in order to generate a dynamic, strong economy.  China likes free enterprise, too, but don’t combine it with freedom; they couch it in totalitarianism.  Russia uses a state-run model more than before, while the jihadists want to collapse all of the above.

McCain and Palin would strengthen the economy through leveraging free enterprise and a low-taxes strategy. They would also keep the government from nationalizing health care, and access America’s energy resources.  Obama, on the other hand, would raise taxes, push for greater government interference, and allow America to lose ground in the global marketplace.

Romney noted that some people think he should be home, pouting, after his loss in the primaries.  He said that the future of his children and their children hinge on this election.   He has no intention of sitting on the sidelines; he’s going to work for McCain, work for national strength, and exhorted the audience that “we have a lot of work to do”.

“Barack Obama is not ready to be President, and what’s more, he’s not right to be President.”

Comments

Class act.

CinnamongirlUF on September 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Mitt is a good man.

Now he needs to go “home” to Michigan and stay there the next 55 days and deliver it to McCain.

Elizabetty on September 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM

“The best ally peace has ever known,” Romney said, “is a strong America.”

Man, I wish it could’ve been Mitt and Cuda!

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM

My 14 year old son told me today that he does not plan on going to college and that he wants to join the Marines. I believe he will be part of the up and coming strong Americans.

I am definitely okay with this choice if this is the one he makes, but I did tell him I wanted him to go to college first and then join the Marines after college.

ConMom on September 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Mitt is a good man.

Elizabetty on September 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Amen. +1

Right_of_Attila on September 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM

My 14 year old son told me today that he does not plan on going to college and that he wants to join the Marines. – ConMom

Which says as much about you as it does about him. Thank you for raising a that kind of a young man.

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 8:00 PM

… I did tell him I wanted him to go to college first and then join the Marines after college. – ConMom

Or better yet, join the Marines first, then go to college.

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Man, I wish it could’ve been Mitt and Cuda!

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM

if only, if only.

trailboss on September 12, 2008 at 8:02 PM

I like me some Mitt.

Spirit of 1776 on September 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM

I agree Tony737. Mitt has the brains and intelligence and Palin has the charisma and conservative credentials but not the longterm policy development like Reagan had on conservatism. She has been focused on state issues primarily and will have to learn to develop her basic foreign and economic principles beyond just a fiscal conservative. Her political skills are very good and that shows in her acceptance speech. She is a better politician than any other Republican candidates this year.

Her instincts are good. Mitt and her would have been dynamite. But McCain won so at least he had the brains to pick her.

I do not see Mitt running against her in 2012.

RAH on September 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM

He said that the future of his children and their children hinge on this election. He has no intention of sitting on the sidelines; he’s going to work for McCain, work for national strength, and exhorted the audience that “we have a lot of work to do”.

Very glad to hear that. We need you Mitt Romney. Keep up the good work!

AZCoyote on September 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM

I like me some Mitt.

Spirit of 1776 on September 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM

I hope not in the same way you like you some ‘Cuda…

trailboss on September 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM

PALIN/ROMNEY 2012!!

Emeka on September 12, 2008 at 8:10 PM

China has begun a massive military build-up, and needs attention.

Ed Morrissey

Exceedingly scary. Terrorism is no big deal compared to the threat posed by China. I’m glad its finally getting some attention. I also read today where Russia has said they MUST claim the arctic. In all seriousness, Obama has no where near the strength of character or quality of experience needed to handle the threats that are clearly on the horizon and marching forward. I fear the next ten years or more are going to be a very difficult period for our country.

Maxx on September 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Great Cabinet member- Economics perhaps

kareyk on September 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM

trailboss on September 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Heh.

Spirit of 1776 on September 12, 2008 at 8:14 PM

didn’t Nostradamus prophesy that the next WW would start in/with Russia- or am I making that up?

kareyk on September 12, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Karey, I think he said it would start in the Middle East.

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 8:18 PM

but what was the thing about a bear? i’m not this inept usually- i’m going to have to look that up. You sound right but something is nagging me about a bear or something

kareyk on September 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Or better yet, join the Marines first, then go to college.

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Tony. As a mom it’s kinda hard to hear that from your son…but I know it’s an honorable, great calling and one that my ancestors have answered all the way back to the American Revolution.

I will tell him you said it was okay for Marines first, college second :)

ConMom on September 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM

ConMom, he still has a few years to figure it out. The Corps has PLC, Platoon Leader Course for college kids. He could find out if it’s the thing for him without signing anything!!

Tom

marinetbryant on September 12, 2008 at 9:03 PM

I like Mitt and I think that he will continue to excel at whatever he does or chooses to do.

mindhacker on September 12, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Class act all the way.

Geronimo on September 12, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I would love to see Palin/Romney in 2012.

Mitt is too smart of a man to be sitting around in these coming tough times; Islamic fanactics, Russia, China, etc.

cjs1943 on September 12, 2008 at 9:21 PM

but what was the thing about a bear? – Karey

It all starts in the Middle East, but I seem to remember something about the Dragon and the Bear attacking the Eagle, then the Dragon changes sides and joins the Eagle against the Bear.

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 9:22 PM

How about Palin/Romney in 2012?

sleepyhead on September 12, 2008 at 9:26 PM

ConMom, tell him to read “Hard Corps” by Marco Martinez. This is a 1st person true story account of a guy who was a ganger banger who wanted to get his life straight so he joined the Marines. He went to Iraq and won the Navy Cross. Now he’s in college and his time in the Corps has made his time in college that much more … interesting :-) He says he may go back in as an officer after he graduates. Great book.

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Great book.

Tony737 on September 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Thanks, Tony! I will get the book for him. He’s not a big reader, but we are always looking for something he can use for school projects. I’ll have him check in to PLC, too.

ConMom on September 12, 2008 at 9:43 PM

ConMom:
My 14 y.o. son also wants to join the Marines.
His step-dad served in the USMC in the 1980′s and I tried but am a major klutz and couldn’t drill to save my life.
The USMC is kind of in my son’s blood.
My mother-who’s pro military-has accused me of “brainwashing him”.
siiiiigh.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 12, 2008 at 9:51 PM

If McCain wins Palin/Romney in 2012. If Obama wins – Romney/Jindal 2012!

Gotta give credit where it is due, Romney has done more to get McCain elected than any of the other also rans.

joncoltonis on September 12, 2008 at 10:17 PM

ConMom on September 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM

My son joined the Marines 1st, 2 middle east tours, then got out and is going to college. He did not have the self discipline needed to complete college at 18, but has plenty now. I did it the same way, Marines first, college second. It is a maturity and discipline thing which apparently the genes in my family are slow to mature.

But I counsel most kids that I know to go to college first before joining any branch of the military. This choice allows them to become an officer and they can join the ROTC or join the Reserve. This allows them to also get educational benefits from that particular branch of service.

PrettyD_Vicious on September 12, 2008 at 10:23 PM

How about Palin/Romney in 2012?

sleepyhead on September 12, 2008 at 9:26 PM

I heard an interview with Mitt where he said he wasn’t interested in the VP slot, or a cabinet post. The latter, because his father served in Nixon’s cabinet, and was often subjected to the indignity of being treated like an underling by 27 year old White House staffers.

Mitt’s not really the “underling” type. He’ll excel, or he’ll move on.

Glad to see he’s working hard for the ticket, and hearing his reason. I believe him, and it fits with other things I’ve heard about the man. Not the best campaigner, but a hell of a man.

sulla on September 12, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Mitts quite a guy! But I cringe on what the msm would try to do to him and to our religion.
I won’t say any more so that we don’t end up with this being 20 pages long.

Good luck ConMom, it’s hard to raise children in this day and age. Most of the kids need a little maturing before they make a decision, but he has a lot of time.
One young man came back to see me yesterday with an Air Force jr ROTC uniform on and he looked great (1st year in hi school). I asked him how he felt about it and he said in jr hi he was in trouble (yes, that was true) and he was hanging around with kids in gangs. But now he feels really good about himself and he loves being in the ROTC. I am really tickled for him. It gives kids who are a little wayward a group to be with and hopefully headed in a different direction. Certainly teaches them a love for this country and if you have a great commander in hi school it can really make a difference in a young man’s life.

Another thought, you know they (msm) go after Sarah’s daughter and yet the dems and libs take no responsibility for all the trash they put in the movies and on tv and in books and at schools. It makes me sick. They would be happy if she did all the things they think teenagers should do, but if she had an abortion she’d be a hero.

Bambi on September 12, 2008 at 10:40 PM

PALIN/ROMNEY 2012!!

Emeka on September 12, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Yes! That would FINALLY cheer me up!

Shelby on September 12, 2008 at 11:55 PM

I would love to see Palin/Romney in 2012.

cjs1943 on September 12, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Amen!

Palin/Romney 2012 would FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!! make me happy and give me the feeling that there is some fairness in the world. Romney should be our nominee. :c(

Shelby on September 13, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Will there be video of the speech at some point?

thecountofincognito on September 13, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Unfortunately I agree with Sulla here on this one, provided McCain wins and either chooses not to run in 2012 or (god forbid) dies prior to the election Palin is the logical choice to succeed him. Since Mitt is already over 60 (DOB: March 17, 1947) he would be nearly 69 years old (or nearly as old as McCain is now and exactly as old as Reagan was when he won in 1980) the next time he could conceivably run for POTUS.

Would he have the energy to do that? Probably, based on the way we saw him campaign both for himself and since leaving the race for McCain.

The real question is would he want to do that? And I believe that the answer to that is probably not. He is not as motivated and driven as McCain is to pursue public/national service at the expense of all else. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing either, we need lots of folks like him (Romney) in the private sector to keep our economy rolling, it just is. That’s my .02….

and in case anyone is wondering I voted for Romney in the primaries and would have loved to vote for him again in 2 months.

P.S.
Also wth is with the spacing on the comments…it won’t let me insert a blank line between paragraphs?! You know so that youse guys can actually read it easier

SgtSVJones on September 13, 2008 at 2:12 AM

P.S.

Errr never mind that, it looks like its just a preview issue…umm Allah/Ed could you get the little Pajamas Media (TM) internet gnomes back to work & fix it please?

SgtSVJones on September 13, 2008 at 2:14 AM

Heavy sigh…..

eaglesdontflock on September 13, 2008 at 3:21 AM

Heavy sigh…..

eaglesdontflock on September 13, 2008 at 3:21 AM

Ditto that…

Shelby on September 13, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Or better yet, join the Marines first, then go to college.

Yes, because they can sure help pay for it. This is coming from a Marine Mom.

Noelie on September 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM

I won’t say any more so that we don’t end up with this being 20 pages long.

The MSN? Nah. they didn’t worry me as much as some of our “friendly” co-posters on this and other conservative sites.

If we get this much intolerance of what should be “our Own”, who needed the MSM?

Noelie on September 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM