Rick Warren: Palin called me for guidance to deal with “the unfair, unjust attacks and the mean-spirited criticism”

posted at 2:00 pm on September 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

I’m not sure whether to take this purely at face value or to admire it as a brilliant political calculation as well. There’s no doubt, given her background, that her faith’s helping her through this; I just wonder why she’s calling Rick Warren instead of her own pastor.

Whatever “cone of silence” she might momentarily be in, she’s obviously hearing Kos, Sullivan, and the Trig Truthers loud and clear.

On a Los Angeles radio show, co-host Kathryn Milofsky asked Warren what one question he would direct at Palin if he was able to have her sit down for a forum like the one he hosted last month with John McCain and Barack Obama at his Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California.

“Well actually she called me yesterday,” Warren said. “The question I asked her was ‘how can I pray for you?’”

Warren said that Palin then “asked me to send her some bible verses on how do you deal with the unfair, unjust attacks and the mean-spirited criticism that comes in.”

Ralph Peters:

[T]he root of the left’s dread of this happily married mother of five seems to be that she actually believes in God: How could anyone be that stupid?

Such a woman wouldn’t fit in Washington (nor would a man of equal faith). In the DC area (where I live), plenty of government-affiliated men and women regularly attend a church or synagogue. But their appearances are perfunctory and well-mannered. Passionate faith is regarded as an embarrassment…

Humans fear what they can’t understand, and our comfortable ruling class just can’t comprehend the power and the glory, the beauty and the ecstasy, the awe and commitment experienced by those who believe in a divine power. To paraphrase the late Leona Helmsley, “Faith is for the little people.”

Exit question: Is that why Republican embarrassment turned independent Obama supporter Linc Chafee’s calling her a “cocky wacko”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh, to have that.

lionheart on September 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Very well put. For some reason, your comment had an immediate impact on me like very few others. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

BadgerHawk on September 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Damiano on September 11, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Heh.

Well, I think criticism of Palin re: church is bound for epic fail. She had the stones to leave a church that was “too extreme” for her, so this line of attack is just doomed to make JW come up again.

I don’t care if Christians think Jews need to accept Christ. I mean, they are Christians for a reason. Why is this supposed to be outragious anyway? Now if we tie foreign aid etc to conversion, then we got a problem, but as it…no bigs.

Spirit of 1776 on September 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM

I’m pretty sure people thought Jesus was looney in his time as well.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Ugh. Not more Rick Warren.

I swear, if this guy continues to get airtime with Republican pols it will NOT end well.

Prediction: He’ll go all Jimmy Swaggart on us at some point.

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 11, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I agree with he’s not finished pursuing his opportunity yet. I am kind of surprised he hasn’t said something about her family situation, or motherhood and the presidency, or something. If he’s already calling her out of the blue, I’ll be het does before the election cycle is over. Anybody want to bet?

BigD on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Look at the update to that post. Warren called her, and she called him back.

In other words, she did not seek his guidance, but when they were chatting and he asked how he could help her, she didn’t rebuff him; she said that some Bible verses would be nice.

sandberg on September 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Thank you for pointing that out. Context is everything. It does appear that Warren is pushing himself forward and trying to stay in the limelight. I’m glad to see this was corrected by the campaign–it looks like they’re aware on all suits.

INC on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Also irrelevant to what I said.

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Amazing that you ignore the things posted that are completely relevant to what you said. Click on the links I provided you. There is nothing remotely questionable about Kroon.

And yes, since you are entering sanity of pastors into the equation, it is completely relevant to discuss Wright and Phlager.

Damiano on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Sarah did ask her previous pastor first and it is a beautiful response: The story of Esther. Are you sure the Rick Warren story is right or did he lift it from here?

Bible is Palin’s professional guide, friends and pastors say
By Kirk Johnson and Kim Severson Published: September 7, 2008

WASILLA, Alaska: Shortly after taking office as governor in 2006, Sarah Palin sent an e-mail message to Paul Riley, her former pastor in the Assembly of God Church, which her family began attending when she was a youth. She needed spiritual advice in how to do her new job, said Riley, who is 78 and retired from the church.

“She asked for a biblical example of people who were great leaders and what was the secret of their leadership,” Riley said.

He wrote back that she should read again from the Old Testament the story of Esther, a beauty queen who became a real one, gaining the king’s ear to avert the slaughter of the Jews and vanquish their enemies. When Esther is called to serve, God grants her a strength she never knew she had.

Riley said he thought that Palin had lived out the advice as governor and would do so again as the Republican Party’s vice presidential nominee.

“God has given her the opportunity to serve,” he said. “And God has given her the strength to carry out her goals.”

gracie on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Lincoln Chaffee is a delusional coward. Anything coming from his mouth is venomous and based on a very confused mind.

volsense on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

“Faith is for the little people.”

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

Matthew 19: 14

evenfarer on September 11, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Instead of doing “research” at Daily Kos, try actually listening to Kroon.

Ah, the desperate Daily Kos canard again. The quote I commented was from Salon, not Daily Kos. Try to keep up. As I previously stated, Palin’s pastor, Larry Kroon, invited David Brickner, an anti-Semetic loon to speak before his congregation.

For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush.
- Luke 6:44

Seriously get a clue.

Damiano on September 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I have many clues. Now you get a brain and a clue.

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:42 PM

gracie, you’re right. I saw that item and had forgotten it. That story rings true to what we know of Sarah Palin.

So what really happened appears to be that Warren called Palin. She called him back to be polite and nicely asked him for Scripture passages. Warren’s omission gives the story the slant she was looking for pastoral advice, but when corrected by the campaign Warren doesn’t look very good.

INC on September 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM

That’s good. She doesn’t need to be looking at all like she’s leaning on this guy what.so.ever.

Spirit of 1776 on September 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM

so much for taking a pastor into your confidence…warren should be ashamed of himself, but he’s not..he’s a shameless self-promoter.

right4life on September 11, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Hitchin’ a ride on the Palin Express!!

jerrytbg on September 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Between this, Oprah, Lipstick on a pig….

It’s like being down the hall from a bunch of busy bodies, gossipy busy bodies trying to tear others down.

Isn’t there something in the bible about gossip?

I’m not really seeking an answer to that here. I’m just sayin’.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I’m glad it was Warren who called Palin, and she was merely responding to his call, because I can’t stand him. He’s like the Oprah of touchy feely Christianity. I don’t like the fact that he spoke as if she had actively sought him out for advice too.

I’m sorry, but women who have balls of steel don’t need spiritual advice from men who don’t have any.

Lincoln on September 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I don’t remember Obama ever saying that.

lorien1973 on September 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Clearly there is the possibility that what you report from Salon means that Sarah Palin is a card-carrying anti-semite. Thanks for the heads-up.

JiangxiDad on September 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Et tu JD? I know that many here have very poor reading comprehension, but I had not previously thought that you were among them.

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM

MB4,

Back in grade school, if I were to turn in a report citing 3rd party quotes as evidence of anything in absence of primary source materials; my report would have been ripped up and thrown out.

Yet here you are, unassumingly out of grade school, citing the opinions of a clearly bias third party (with no relationship to a primary source and no education or credentials in psychology) in as defacto evidence of the mental instability of a person that neither you or the 3rd party has ever met or personally observed.

You have completely ignored primary source material I have provided and dismiss related, primary source material as irrelevant.

Yeah… good argument. / sarc

Damiano on September 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM

No way Warren would betray a confidence like this.

He just did.

aengus on September 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM

aengus on September 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM

HOW Does ANYBODY know it was IN CONFIDENCE??????????
Did Sarah say, Please keep this quiet pastor warren?

My mind is melting.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM

In that case, I accept your warning to be careful before voting for Palin’s pastor as VP. And I’m glad you cleared Palin–she’s quite a gal.

You’ve been helpful in clearing up that confusion for everyone here. Is there any other reason not to vote for Sarah that your research has produced?

JiangxiDad on September 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I thought you said you were leaving and going over to HuffPost. Stomped off in a snit. Something about too much hate here. What exactly is your problem? I gather you think Warren is above criticism, right?

a capella on September 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Allahpundit, she didn’t say who else she called or didn’t call for guidance.

As per advisers on international issues, I mentioned hearing earlier this week on either Rush, Hannity, or Hewitt that Bolten agreed to help Palin with advice on international matters.

Today’s HotAir Headline link, POLITICO Jonathan Martin writes:

Offering policy counsel will be Steve Biegun, a seasoned foreign policy specialist who did stints as a senior member of Bush’s National Security Council and as national security adviser to former Sen. Bill Frist, when he was Senate majority leader. He’s taken a leave from his position as a government affairs executive at Ford Motor Co.

Also helping on the policy front is Joe Donoghue, a longtime McCain aide who has worked for years in the Arizonan’s Senate office. He’ll travel with Palin and serve as a liaison to the campaign headquarters on issues.

maverick muse on September 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM

She he was probably just feeling out “America’s Pastor” on advice from John McCain.

It’s a good sign she didn’t ask for Purpose Driven quotes but specified the Bible.

econavenger on September 11, 2008 at 2:54 PM

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM

That was from Salon, so I left them out of my list of my Media Matters and Huffpo.
Did you read his whole sermon?
Maybe you better do a little research.
The fact is Jews for Jesus is considered to be an anti-semite group (by hard core Jewish groups), obviously any recruitment for Jesus would be that. Anti-semite could be anyone who ever said anything against Jews. You can’t even proselytize in Israel,it’s against the law. No different from Ex-Mormons for Jesus is considered an anti-mormon group.
And remember, hard core Jewish groups and leaders are Democrats, not Republicans.
But read the whole sermon, and see it in context. Not what Salon wants you to see.

right2bright on September 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

MB4,

Don’t take Salon’s slant on Brickner. He is Jewish and he’s neither anti-Semitic nor a loon. He happens to be a Jew who believes that Jesus is the Messiah.

INC on September 11, 2008 at 2:37 PM

INC, even you? David Brickner’s being a Jew, and I am not so sure that all Jews would consider him to be one, is irrelevant to what Salon said and to what I said. Did you not see his use of the word “Judgment”? It is pretty clear to me what he meant.

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I don’t buy it. Warren’s Baptist. She’s not. Why would she call him in the first place?

Seems to me that Rick forgot that he is only supposed to talk about thinks that happened outside his head and not inside.

phelps on September 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Freedom originates from within a community with the FAITH to allow scriptural speech spoken out loud by believers. There are no lone-ranger free people. Sarah comes out of such a support system known as the church [Assembly} of God. That is why she naturally seeks the wisdom and strength available to her throughf a proven church Pastor like Mr Warren. Her enemy will always be those people who insist it is embarassing when Sarah does not sit down and shut-up.

jimw on September 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM

As an agnostic, I have always wanted to believe in God, and actually envy the strength that belief in a good and loving God gives to those of faith. I am probably one of the few without faith that feel this way- as you pointed out, it is difficult for atheists and agnostics to understand it.

But one thing is true: faith in God, and trusting in God is what made our country great. Most of the founding fathers professed their faith in more than words, but with deeds and actions that demonstrated genuinely inspired courage and strength.

Oh, to have that.

lionheart on September 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Wow. Your words have touched me as well. I hope they also give others strength and resolve. Well said. One of the best comments on this site.

pt on September 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Also irrelevant to what I said.

SadlyNO! it’s not.

Topsecretk9 on September 11, 2008 at 2:36 PM

You are very confused. There seems to be a lot of that going around here lately. Maybe something in the air.

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM

If the update from the campaign is legit, it might be useful if this post were updated as well.

Just sayin’.

capitalist piglet on September 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Highly doubtful. Can you say hello to the WHITE throne?

Marine_Bio on September 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM

never forget what he says…

“clinging to guns and god”

“above my paygrade”

wildweasel on September 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Absolutely. I couldn’t believe he made the “above my paygrade” comment about abortion and when life begins.

The way I look at it… when life begins / abortion is a life and death decision… and here Obama is claiming that making a life and death decision is above his pay grade. Shouldn’t he excuse himself from this election since those are the types of decisions Presidents are expected to make?

dominigan on September 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM

a capella on September 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM

yeah, said I was leaving. I lied!
Never said I was going to huffpo. Reading comp. 101.

Just don’t understand the criticism of Warren. I’m just chatting. No big deal. Don’t worry. I will never lose sleep over posts in a blog. :)
Sorry for lying about leaving!!! Hope you’re okay!

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Rick Warren appears to be the Dr. Phil of religion. No class, no scruples.

Django on September 11, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I think that nicely sums up my feelings on the man.

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 11, 2008 at 2:37 PM

I will present my professional findings about this man later, if I get around to it given my very busy schedule and all as of late.

Sigmund on September 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM

In case you missed it, this is a prior post. Go back to the link and read the update. Context is everything.

Look at the update to that post. Warren called her, and she called him back.

sandberg on September 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM

INC on September 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

HOW Does ANYBODY know it was IN CONFIDENCE??????????

Sorry. Thats just the impression I took away from it.

aengus on September 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Damiano on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

It would be interesting to impress your memory engrams on a computer. The resulting torrential flood of illogic would be most entertaining.
- Mr. Spock

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM

MB4,

Yeah, even me. I am very familiar with Jews for Jesus.

INC on September 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM

aengus on September 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Don’t be sorry. Blog banter is fun.

I don’t have any idea what was in confidence either. Who knows? And why do we care so much is really the question.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Psalms has some good ones. They fit Barry too.

IE
Psalm 38

12 Those who seek my life set their traps,
those who would harm me talk of my ruin;
all day long they plot deception.

Psalm 140

5 Proud men have hidden a snare for me;
they have spread out the cords of their net
and have set traps for me along my path.
Selah

Psalm 141

8 But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign LORD;
in you I take refuge—do not give me over to death.

9 Keep me from the snares they have laid for me,
from the traps set by evildoers.

10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
while I pass by in safety.

MirCat on September 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM

right2bright on September 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Yeah, ‘cuz those guys are such a beacon of tolerance.

RightOFLeft on September 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM

We care because in order to learn about Palin, we scrutinize her. I couldn’t have even begun to guess who Plain would call for spiritual guidance, if anyone, even yesterday. Today I find out it wasn’t Warren, but that he wanted people to know that he spoke to her. There are inferences to be made, but maybe nothing concrete from any of it.

JiangxiDad on September 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Ugh. Not more Rick Warren.

Prediction: He’ll go all Jimmy Swaggart on us at some point.

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 11, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Mr Conservative, Barry Goldwater, had a few words on that very subject.

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM

volsense on September 11, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Verdict first, evidence later. Off with his head.

Sigmund on September 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM

JiangxiDad on September 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Fair enough.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I’m fine. Thanks for caring.

I can’t take it.
I gotta leave here.
Too much hate.
Might as well go spend my time at huffpo.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 2:22 PM

I know I shouldn’t, but I’ve just gotta ask, what with all the drama. Is your last name Sullivan?

a capella on September 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM

With my little ring I can take Rick Warren apart molecule by molecule and then put him back together again. And maybe I put him back together right and maybe I don’t.

HalJordan on September 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM

a capella on September 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM

LoL…..everyone always thinks I’m being dramatic.
I’m not. I’m sitting here as calm as day.
I think I was responding to the Drama that I’m reading here. The attacks on Warren….before that was Oprah, then the lipstick comment….I think I’m being the least dramatic.

Please don’t take me to be dramatic and attacking. I don’t mean it that way.
Just trying to figure it out and open some eyes along the way?
I don’t know. I’m a hopeless fool.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM

My mind is melting.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Get hold of yourself, man!

Jaibones on September 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM

My Lincoln doesn’t chaffee. I wear boxers.

Coronagold on September 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM

What gave him the right to reveal his conversation with Palin? The entire religious component of this election sickens me.

rrpjr on September 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM

So Sarah Palin might want a “Purpose-Driven Life”.

I wonder who is giving Obama spiritual advice after he threw God d@mn AmeriKKKa under the bus. Oops, I forgot. He prays to himself.

Steve Z on September 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Jaibones on September 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM

LOL
I’m a woman, Man!

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 3:31 PM

… (edited out first update)

UPDATE: Palin’s camp calls to say that the Alaska Gov. was returning Warren’s call. According a Palin spokeswoman, Warren called her on Saturday September 6 and she returned his call on Monday September 8. The Monday phone call is when the above conversation described by Warren took place.

So what ACTUALLY happened is this guy called her office, left a message, she returned his call out of common courtesy, HE ASKS HER FIRST “How can I pray for you?” and LATER she requests bible verses that help to deal with attacks on ones self and family.

I do not know who this man is to be honest, never listened to him. But from the way he presents the chain of events to make it seem like she sought him out and not the other way around says a lot about his character.

He needs to set the record straight and stop his half-truth half-lie story telling. Christians should not present half truths as the leader they follow abhorred them, but the adversary uses them all the time.

Voidseeker on September 11, 2008 at 3:32 PM

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Hmmm. You said “great spirit”, not capitalized, and didn’t say “Christ” nor “God”, so I’ll make an assumption. You’re confused by all this Christianism, and don’t know why anyone would expect a pastor to automatically assume that things said to him in a non public setting might be confidential.

Buford Gooch on September 11, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Somebody may have already mentioned this, but there’s an update on the Hill’s blog saying the Palin campaign was returning Warren’s call of two days ago. That puts and entirely different spin on this and deserves an update.

rivlax on September 11, 2008 at 3:42 PM

lionheart on September 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Your openness touches my heart. I hope you don’t mind, but I want to let you know that I’ll be praying for you.

I pray that you will continue seeking him. As I’ve come to know God, here are some things I’ve had to learn that may help you in your search…

- God moves in his own time… not yours.
- God will not remove problems… but will help you endure and learn from them.
- God loves you too much to leave you as you are… expect to change as a Christian.
- God speaks in whispers… when we cannot hear him, it is usually because we are too busy doing noisy things.
- Expect to be humbled.
- God will not be a copilot… Jesus demands we be ready to give up everything for him. He is the pilot. We need to be ready to play our parts in his plan.
- We rarely see him directly in what is going on at the time, but we see his fingerprints when we look back.
- Expect to be humbled.

I would love to exchange emails outside of this forum if you’re interested. I have to run soon and won’t be able to respond until later. But if you’re interested, let me know and I’ll leave an email address for you.

dominigan on September 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Biden called an abortionist for advice on how to deal with Sarah.

Akzed on September 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM

This is a damnable lie from a damnable liar who is pondscum.

bill30097 on September 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I’d chalk that up as a strong endorsement for McCain/Palin! If that nasty bitter liberal Chafee is name calling they must be doing something right.

highhopes on September 11, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Did he not just sell her out right here? Doesn’t this send out an alert to all the media – hey, you got her rattled a bit, keep it up!

What a bastard.

WisCon on September 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Buford Gooch on September 11, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I apologize for saying ‘great spirit’ with no caps.
I apologize for not saying God or Christ.
I meant what I said.
Not confused about Christianity.
Just giving the benefit of the doubt.
Perhaps Warren was caught off guard with the question.
Answered it quickly, honestly…he’s on a radio show.
he’s a human being. he’s not God.

But I do understand your point. And I agree, if he has negative intentions….
I just don’t have enough information.
that’s all.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Oh, to have that.

lionheart on September 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Oh, you can have that. Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find it, knock and the door will be opened.

cjs1943 on September 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Lincoln on September 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Warren, along with Oprah, aren’t just pushing “touchy feely” Christianity. He’s slowly and subtly incorporating New Age doctrine into it. Oprah’s been pushing New Age proponents and writers ever since she got her show.

darwin on September 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM

As a Christian I do not know all the answers. I trust God to grant me the insight I need as it affects my life. I know He works in mysterious ways and loves each of us. How we touch each other, and who may lead others is for God to judge. I am not a fan of Warren but he did this nation a service by holding the forum which identified strengths and weaknesses of the candidates and for that I thank him. If Warren has human failings, he also does good and God will judge him as he does all mankind. Many of you have commented on your concern for our nation which I share. I prayed God would not forsake our nation because so many reject His right to be in the public square in any way. I prayed that He would provide a good leader for us. When Palin was announced I felt that God had answered the prayers of many. I will continue to pray for our nation and our leaders.

Pat in NC on September 11, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I just wonder why she’s calling Rick Warren instead of her own pastor.

I have a hunch it is because Rick Warren is media savvy and her preacher is some dude from Alaska who has never dealt with the savage liberal media. (well until now anyway)

lisalj on September 11, 2008 at 4:53 PM

David Brickner is clearly an anti-Semetic loon and Sarah Palin’s pastor, Larry Kroon, brought him in to speak to his congregation. I think that it is more than fair to question the soundness of mind of someone who would do that.

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM

There’s a lot of Old Testament scripture linking sinful behavior by the Jews with disasters and the like. I’m not sure why claiming that Palestinian suicide bombers killing Jews is a punishment for their transgressions necessarily makes someone anti-Semitic, particularly when the same people claiming that are often the ones who are the most ardent in their support for Israel.

Granted it’s not a palatable assertion for people who don’t share the belief, but I don’t see how it makes someone an anti-Semite unless you’re willing to dilute what that term means fairly heavily.

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Lincoln Chaffee is a nitwit. I know the man, having met with him probably a dozen times. He’s just not that bright and is an embarrassment to his father’s legacy. John Chaffee has probably worn the lining off his casket from all the spinning he’s done in it.

Pablo on September 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM

MB4 on September 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Jews for Jesus is an organization for Messianic Jews. I’ve met Messianic Jews before, and I never heard any of them condemning their own people for having a different thought on that matter. Most of them see their own people’s objections and answer them the best way they can, hoping and praying, of course. They know how it feels to be isolated from those they know and love because they chose to believe Jesus.

But being Anti-Semite because of it? Now, that’s going too far! How can they, people who have studied the Scriptures and recognized the Messiah Himself, hate their own people? One thing I have heard said in many a testimony is that their families would have accepted from him/her a jump to an Eastern religion, a New Age one, atheism, or even the most ridiculous beliefs out there – but Heaven forbid they’d become Christians! That’s a lonely life by itself.

Have you ever heard of Louis Lapides? Or Jay Sekulow, for that matter? Or even that obscure rabbi-in-training, one Saul or Tarsus? (Everyone else knows him as the Apostle Paul.)

newton on September 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Only after the hard left trashes Palin for this and there’s a torrent of backlash so great that the media and the left are right back in the doghouse, lefty bloggers will conclude that the whole thing was a ploy staged by–who else–Karl Rove!

BuckeyeSam on September 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Shame on you! The memo from Karl gave explicit instructions not to discuss his involvement in this affair!

Loxodonta on September 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Man, some of you folks have jumped the shark! I am Jewish, I do not consider Jews for Jesus to anti-semitic they are trying to convert Jews not kill them.

Besides how can one be a Jew for Jesus? If you believe in Jesus you are a Christian not a Jew. besides what does this have to do with Governor palin? Other than some Obamaites trying out more “code words” to scare Jews away from McCain and Palin?

This Jew don’t scare so easy, the only really scary thing to me would be an Obama Presidency.

skatz51 on September 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Oh, BTW. The Great Commission set by Jesus Christ was to preach the Gospel to every creature. No one is excluded from that rule.

If that makes a Christian preacher who gives the Gospel to a Jewish man or woman (and receives it in his heart with joy) an anti-Semite… well, there’s a price to pay for believing Jesus. No one is excluded from it.

Also… Ever heard of Joy Davidman? Google it!

newton on September 11, 2008 at 5:32 PM

skatz51 on September 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I agree.

newton on September 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Regarding this latest “Palin scandal,” it interests me that all the usual suspects were lined up to feed negative comments about the Governor’s religious associations at Hot Air, in other blogs and in the MSM. It’s almost as if they were prepared to instantly sew seeds of dissension and doubt as soon as this story appeared. Also, while the original Hill Blog article has been updated, the only two other major media reports as I post, from CBS and the Boston Globe, have not.

Apparently, the religious associations of candidates is now a subject of media interest, at least to major media outlets that seem supportive of Senator Obama, and seem disinterested in his recent religious associations, as long as the attention is focused on Sarah Palin.

As to the rumor mongering: Rick Warren called Governor Palin, who then returned his call. Why Warren revealed this publicly, I have not read anywhere. As to her current pastor, Larry Kroon, I have not read anything reliable about him or his history that would cause me any concern. However, I do not read left-wing rumor mongering rags, and consider posts here that reference such rags to be unreliable.

Loxodonta on September 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM

There’s something else afoot here.

Everyone knows that the Evangelical community is strongly pro-Israel – something that the intelligentsia has abhorred for a long time. I have a feeling that they want to make sure that enough of the Jewish people here in America are scared enough not to get along with Evangelicals, and that’s why the “anti-Semitic” canard is always floated around. Some want to make Evangelicals as Nazis, and Messianic Jews like those guards from Nazi Germany who betrayed their own people and helped the regime, in hopes of buying themselves time and maybe some freedom. (No Messianic Jew would apply here nor would appreciate being lumped with them.)

Remember what some of them did to John Hagee a while back – a pastor about whom I couldn’t care less, even though I’m a Baptist like him? I’m sure many more want to target many other Evangelical congregations as anti-Semitic, because they have received one or two Messianic Jews among them, or even contributed to some of their causes.

newton on September 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM

“I just wonder why she’s calling Rick Warren instead of her own pastor.

I have a hunch it is because Rick Warren is USED TO BE media savvy and her preacher is some dude from Alaska who has never dealt with the savage liberal media. (well until now anyway)”

Corrected that for you, lisalj.

jim m on September 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM

newton on September 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM

That’s a very scary thought.

bridgetown on September 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Design suggestion: add some padding to the CSS code for the top and bottom of your quote boxes in your posts, maybe 8-12px so it’s uniform all the way round (you have padding on right/left already). As they are they look a bit truncated and off-kilter.

I would also suggest lightening up the gray just a bit.

Just a couple friendly suggestion meant in the spirit of constructive criticism. Love the blog, and I _care_, man.

docweasel on September 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Also: the quote boxes down here in the comments:

could use padding all the way ’round.

Again, just a friendly suggestion.

docweasel on September 11, 2008 at 8:25 PM

My husband is a Southern Baptist pastor and I also find it odd that Rick Warren would just blurt out details of his converstaion with Sarah Palin without her express permission. She would not need to ask him to keep quiet he would just assume the need to be discreet. I have mixed feelings about Rick Warren, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was not just ‘name-dropping,’ but it does seem like a peculiar betrayal of confidence.

Renae on September 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Notice how Sarah’s lack of guile allows her to reach out to experts when she needs something. BHO’s pride won’t allow for the same.

Mojave Mark on September 11, 2008 at 8:59 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Governor Palin told her pastor she’d called Rick Warren, and her pastor said, “You called Rick? What did he say?”.

Kralizec on September 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Clarence Thomas went through a similar ordeal and he sought prayer for strength too.

As for Warren, his betrayal is extraordinary.

I can’t imagine any minister making such claims in public unless there is self interest.

Captain America on September 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I’m not sure why claiming that Palestinian suicide bombers killing Jews is a punishment for their [the Jews] transgressions necessarily makes someone anti-Semitic

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Basically saying that Palestinian suicide bombers killing Jews are doing God’s work per God’s judgment sure seems anti-Semitic to me. If someone thought that someone who was trying to kill me was doing God’s work/judgment I would sure the hell think that they were awfully damned anti-me. But maybe that’s just me.

MB4 on September 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Wow, this blog is making my head spin.

If you go back to the foundation of the colonies, and then the War for Independence, the most cherished book was the Bible, not the Koran. How often was GOD invoked in the frame work of this nation? It was GOD, not Allah. If you browse through the photos of the Civil War, you will see many that include the Bible, not the Koran. This nation was founded on Christian principals,or as I prefer the philosophy of Christianity, so what is wrong with that? Would it have been better to use the Koran as guidance? If we had, just think how much different the whole world would be. I for one would rather live under and be guided by a Christian philosophy. In any war that we have fought, have we ever declared that the loser must change their religious philosophy? As far as I can tell, Iraq is still a Muslim nation as well as Afghanistan. Germany, Japan, nope we didn’t change them either. Korea, Vietnam, nope.

But now we are involved in a “Holy War”, and if you think it ended with the crusades, you had better take a look at what is happening in the world around you today. So if our leaders look to the Christian philosophy for guidance it is OK with me. As for all you so called atheist out there that are going to jump all over this, “I” am an atheist, and I find nothing wrong with “GOD” in our currency, our allegiance to this nation, or documents of this nation. There is a separation of church and state. If I don’t like it, I’m free to either live with it, or move to another country, and yes you are free to try and change it, but then you are forming this Nation to your principals, and not the principals under which it was founded. I for one, think the did a pretty damn good job.

For those of you who want to leave, be careful, there seems to be a lot of traffic coming in.

N4646W on September 12, 2008 at 5:01 AM

I just wonder why she’s calling Rick Warren instead of her own pastor.

Likely, she has. I doubt that you would ever know that, as her pastor is eh, not quite as famous as Warren. The impetus for the call was probably a bit of political diplomacy with the current Christian success guru that she then used to get a little advice as well. I’m curious as to why Warren thought it necessary to mention something like that. Usually such requests of pastors are considered private.

spmat on September 12, 2008 at 11:55 AM