SC Democratic chair: Palin’s “qualification” is that she hasn’t had an abortion; Update: Sorry if you were offended, says Fowler

posted at 4:51 pm on September 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

Sarah Palin, talking womb.

What can you say? Besides this, I mean.

South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler sharply attacked Sarah Palin today, saying John McCain had chosen a running mate ” whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn’t had an abortion.”…

Fowler told my colleague Alex Burns in an interview that the selection of an opponent of abortion rights would not boost McCain among many women…

Told of McCain’s boost in the new ABC/Washington Post among white women following the Palin pick, Fowler said: “Just anecdotally, I believe that those white women are Republican women anyway.”

Keep believing, champ. I’m tempted to call this cognitive dissonance — Palin’s conservative and pro-life, ergo women independents surely can’t find her appealing even though many obviously do — but it’s probably just a case of the repulsive Fowler clan being their typical repulsive selves. If you’re willing to laugh at the thought of a hurricane spoiling the GOP convention by wrecking New Orleans, why wouldn’t you believe 23,000 people turned out today in Virginia simply because they’re jazzed that Palin didn’t flush her Down’s baby down the toilet like so many more enlightened, progressive women would have?

Exit question: Any women in the audience think diminishing Palin’s achievements this way is a trifle sexist? I lack the Absolute Gender Authority to make the charge myself, so it’s up to you. You go, girls.

Update: Meanwhile, MSNBC remains MSNBC.

Update: Bonnie Erbe raises the unthinkable possibility of women sexists.

Update: The obligatory intelligence-insulting “apology”:

I personally admire and respect the difficult choices that women make everyday, and I apologize to anyone who finds my comment offensive. I clumsily was making a point about people in South Carolina who may vote based on a single issue. Whether it’s the environment, the economy, the war or a woman’s right to choose, there are people who will cast their vote based on a single issue. That was the only point I was attempting to make.

I.e. “I was making a mundane point about voter priorities and accidentally accused Palin of being a joke candidate with nothing whatsoever to commend her.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Y-not on September 10, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Because a substantial portion of “the base” does not care for McCain, based on his record of amnesty, his Gang of 14 behavior, and his periodic disdain for conservatives (until he needs us).

DrMagnolias on September 10, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Drudge loves a winner, and a fresh story generator. He’s an equal opportunity whore. I admire his business prowess.

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Dianne Feinstein was asked about this on Fox News…she basically implied it’s McCain’s fault for letting this campaign get so dirty.

fossten on September 10, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Feinstein’s biggest fear is McCain/Palin. They won’t let her get away dealing contracts to her husbands businesses.
I am still angry at Bush for cutting some kind of deal regarding her. She was caught red-handed giving contracts out to her husbands businesses.

right2bright on September 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Has Carol Fowler ever had a chance of being impregnated?

You know with a real penis, not one of those plastic knockoffs?

1sttofight on September 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM

As Fowler was making this nasty, sexist, anti-special-needs-children comment [What? She'd be more qualified if she *had* had an abortion?], Neil Cavuto on Fox was saying that surely BO didn’t mean to slime Sarah Palin with the lipstick on a pig comment.

I love Cavuto, and I know that he just wants the election to be decided on issues, but how can he not see what the Dems are doing day after day?

MochaLite on September 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM

i still can’t get over Biden. “Hillary is more qualified than me”

lodge on September 10, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Der Gaffenmeister keeps on gaffing.

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Why are all Liberals going complete nutter over the Palin pick?

Sarah Palin can single-handedly destroy Liberalism for decades to come. Liberals can’t allow a Conservative woman to become the example for the future. We are watching the tip of the ice-berg here folks. Liberal politicians, pundits, and civilians will go completely insane before November arrives. Adding to this story is the fact that Sarah is NOT A LAWYER, and could become the leader of the free world, a leader who is promising to “take on” the good ol’ boys in DC, and reform the politics as usual in both houses. Can you imagine what this country will be like once we are free from the rule of lawyers creating laws that benefit guess who, lawyers…

Remember what Liberals did to Clarence Thomas? Liberals could not allow a black Conservative to be the example of for future generations of blacks; no, no, no… Clarance had to be destroyed, so Liberals fabricated and created stories and then made them seem real to the public. In fact, even Obama attacks Clarence still to this day.

This is a new era, with the Liberal Media having been exposed. These old methods will not work in the world we live in today, and we are watching the proof of that each day. Think Rathergate…. Good ol’ Dan Rathers and his partners in crime at CBS, busted red handed by a member of pajamas media! Awesome!

Keemo on September 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM

I am all for revenue coming in to HA, but why is HA accepting advertising for Madonna’s concert tour?

Who knows how many little Madonna Jrs we have been spared because she’s Pro Choice. Maybe we shouldn’t be so strident.

leftnomore on September 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler must live in a news vacuum.

Maxx on September 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM

ESPN cites the biggest “chokes” in history as…

1. Bill Buckner in 1986 World Series (muffed ground ball in 9th inning)
2. Houston Oilers in 1992 NFL playoffs (blew 32-point third-quarter lead)
3. Greg Norman in 1996 Masters (blew 6-stoke lead in final round)

But Team Obama ’08 could make us forget them all!

VastRightWingConspirator on September 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM

…Ms. Fowler is white, by the way…so, I guess that when she goes home she pulls out a picture of Ronald Reagan, goes into the bathroom, and isn’t heard from until it’s time for Olberman…Lefty for public consumpsion, a Republican deep down in her…er…bathroom solitude place….

Puritan1648 on September 10, 2008 at 5:39 PM

right2bright on September 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Absolutely. That’s why she’s been so quiet, lately. And what has his gentlemanliness brought Mr. Bush 43? The wrath of the rats.

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:39 PM

McCain should inject in some appearance that only Senator Obama knows whether or not an insult was intended with the “lipstick” reference, and then comment that he now understands why Senator Obama ran away from the townhall match-ups.

The (web) commercial comes close to overplaying the hand, in my opinion.

As for Ms. Fowler, she has “fouled” her own bed.

hillbillyjim on September 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM

…hmmm…after posting, I immediately regretted the “solitude place” remark. Forgive me, one and all. Beneath the level of present company or this blog.

Puritan1648 on September 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM

leftnomore on September 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Capitalism. I’m all for it. You do with your own business whatever you please, and let the clients decide.

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Has Carol Fowler ever had a chance of being impregnated?

You know with a real penis, not one of those plastic knockoffs?

1sttofight on September 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Whoa! And the Democrats think we are all whitewashed church goers here? But, the man’s question stands.

leftnomore on September 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I think it’s also worth note that word is he is a libertarian that hate[d/s] McCain. I didn’t listen to his radio show, but that’s the word. If that is true, it makes sense why he’d back Obama, and now with Palin, why he’d switch.

Spirit of 1776 on September 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Self-immolation is really the only way to go here. Really, what better way to prove your beliefs than to light yourself on fire in self sacrifice, perfect for the lefties

jawbone on September 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Yes, that’s the ticket, Dems. Play that comment in all the battleground states. It’s a real winner.

Techie on September 10, 2008 at 5:43 PM

FEMALE INFO ALERT!

The DNC may want to step back from the pro-choice versus pro-life issue. For one thing, many more women are pro-life than they think. Second, because some women chose to have an abortion, some of them are now or have had trouble becoming pregnant. There is a subset of women that have delayed having children because of a career choice, and some have regretted waiting so long in having children. And these older Moms, from what I am hearing, respect her choices and admire her tenacity in being successful career wise.

Women, contrary to the MSMLSD types, are also very capable of understanding the definition of pro-choice. Translation, there is option “A” and there is option “B”. If Fowler and the gang keep removing the possibility of “A” or “B” then they are going to be perceived by a large number of female voters as being BIG SISTER. They are so rattled by Governor Palin and Conservative women that they are placing far too many female voters in their stereotypical boxes of who and what they think we are all about. While many Conservative women are pro-life, we do not have little stoning zones in our backyards for women who have chosen differently. We know many women that chose to have abortions and we love them, respect them and some of them are even our best friends.

freeus on September 10, 2008 at 5:44 PM

leftnomore on September 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

leftnomore, sorry to come across so harsh – rewrite, with indulgence, please “we do with our business the way we please, and let the clients decide”. No harm meant,

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Goodness gracious, another Dem who can help the Republicans WIN. Now, can the Republicans HELP THEMSELVES?

originalpechanga on September 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM

But, of course, in Feinstein world, I’m sure these stupid comments aren’t inspired by support for Barack, but rather, you know, caused by the great right wing conspiracy.

Nichevo on September 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM

No, she was actually attacking the barack people..and I got the feeling that the little lass was giving up on his campaign. You are correct to a point, she then went on to attack McCain on the lipstick attack..but no, she blamed the Obama campaign for allowing this

Pam on September 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM

At least we have it on record that a democrat believes that having an abortion makes you unqualified to run for anything

420sniper on September 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Barry Obama and his team: strictly amateur hour, and they prove it every day.

labwriter on September 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Is anyone covering this?

lodge on September 10, 2008 at 5:04 PM

I caught it on Fox a bit ago. CNN, MSNBC are too busy staying that the McCain camp is evil, whiny Karl Rove bastards for calling Obama out on the pig comment.

Damiano on September 10, 2008 at 5:57 PM

The democrat chair in South Carolina has a lot of time on her hands. There aren’t a lot of them left in South Carolina.

SouthernGent on September 10, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I suspect there will be a rather frosty meeting tomorrow during the 9/11 tribute and forum.

tru2tx on September 10, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Well, shut mah mouth. I nevah! We don’t need wimmin’s like this in the gendah!

anniekc on September 10, 2008 at 6:05 PM

No matter what side of the abortion issue you stand on, that remark is offensive.

If the Democrats had any sense, she would be kicked out of the party.

On a positive note, Barry can try to distance himself all he wants but he is officially the head of the Democratic Party. He he does not call for her resignation, I call for his.

Damiano on September 10, 2008 at 6:11 PM

You go, girls.

Of course it’s sexist.

Having said that, here’s the thing: Democrats say this stuff because that’s what they believe Republicans think about women. He thinks he’s just asserting what Republican men won’t say out loud about their own candidate because she’s one of their own.

Sultry Beauty on September 10, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Remember Rush Limbaugh’s definition of a ‘FemiNazi’: A woman who does everything in her power to increase the number of abortions being performed.

As crazy as it sounds, there really are women like that out there. And they don’t see the battle as a handful of lunatics versus the 99.9999999% of people in the world who are normal. They honest-to-God think WE are the fringe element.

logis on September 10, 2008 at 6:26 PM

You have to ask? Would a male head of a state party say the only reason Obama or McCain were nominated is because they have a penis or because they are married or because they have children or because they drive a car or whatever?

But this goes beyond that. It shows a total lack of understanding about why Sarah Palin is so popular. By trying to say it is simply her pro-life stand ignores all the other reaons people, not just women, find her appealing. The feminists really do believe all women think with their vaginas.

Deanna on September 10, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Palin’s “qualification” is that she hasn’t had an abortion

No, but having had one would be a disqualification, for me.

urbancenturion on September 10, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Sorry, is that sexist?

You bet it is. Sexist, and unashamed.

urbancenturion on September 10, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I tend to agree. I do question her business sense since I doubt very many Hot Air readers will buy a ticket to her concert.

TooTall on September 10, 2008 at 6:35 PM

I don’t know about absolute moral authority, but I was thinking about this on my walk this morning. All these feminists have been whining for 40 years that sexism has held them back. Men have held them back. The men made the rules and they have had to follow them. Well they aren’t going to take it anymore. They aren’t going to follow rules they had no input in setting up, etc.
Well whom is making the rules now? Whom has decided what a feminist is and isn’t? These self-appointed, self-important, same feminists, who claim to speak for all women — that’s who. These women have been at it for 40 yrs. but they don’t care about women, they care only about themselves and their ideology.
Sarah Palin doesn’t fit that ideology. She doesn’t fit their blueprint of what a woman or a feminist is. She is anethema to what they think they know. It is truly disgusting to watch, but thouroughly entertaining.
I would never vote for Hilary Clinton, but I will defend her to my last breath against, biased, unfair sexist attacks. The leftard feminists cannot bring themselves to defend Sarah Palin in the same way. Cannot even consider their hypocrisy. They cannot see beyond the end of their noses, so they certainly cannot see that Sarah Palin is feminism. Strong, principled, hard-working and feminine.

I didn’t get thru Gloria Steinam’s vitriolic article last week b/c I can’t stand her water-carrying for the Democratic party. But is clear that she needs to put her bra back on b/c the gravitational pull is sucking her brains out her *ss!

JAM on September 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Here’s her picture and letter to SC democrats. Heh. I love it when SC democrats get excited.

SouthernGent on September 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Unacceptable comment.

mindhacker on September 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM

What is wrong with these Dims? Are they really so threatened by a successful conservative woman that they need to resort to the types of petty insults and slurs that have been hurled at Gov. Palin? She’s a dumb hillybilly, a rube, an undereducated idiot, a beauty pageant nitwit, an irresponsible baby-making machine, a negligent mother, etc.

Sarah Palin has been an effective mayor and governor; even her political opponents in Alaska admit that. No male governor with her record of accomplishment would ever be disparaged in the way that she has been.

If anybody entertained the illusion that sexism is not alive and well in this country — and particularly rampant in elite Liberal female circles, the ugly and relentless assault on Gov. Palin should put that idea to rest.

AZCoyote on September 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Warm up the bus. Carol Fowler is about to join Rev, Wright, BHO’s grandma, Ayers and flager under it.

flyoverland on September 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM

logis on September 10, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Yup….what a glorious cause to fight for eh?

Yes, what was said is sexist…and I am definately not a feminist, even though I’m given to understand that many conservative women are.

I consider myself to be exactly the kind of person Sarah Palin resonates most strongly with.

surrounded on September 10, 2008 at 6:40 PM

I don’t think she was talking down about Palin, so much as talking down about VOTERS who are against abortion.

Any way it’s sliced, she’s a nasty, idiotic woman.

bridgetown on September 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM

For me and my mom and sisters, the fact that Sarah Palin didn’t have an abortion is probably closer to the bottom of our list of reasons to support her.

We like her because she’s like us – multiple children, several different jobs/careers, juggling kids, husband, work, grocery shopping, etc. She seems like a common sense REAL person. She’s already accomplished good things as mayor and governor and we think she’ll accomplish good things as VP and then POTUS. She’s the opposite of Hillary who seems to have been creating her persona as future POTUS since she met Bill. You just can’t picture Hillary in the grocery store or doing laundry. Palin didn’t create herself, she is who she is.

As for her baby, good for her for keeping him, life is a better choice. My choice would have been not to get pregnant at 43 – is she crazy? My youngest is 15 and I’m counting down to my freedom. But that’s what’s great. She can choose to have more children, I can choose not to, I’ll wait for grandchildren, thanks.

Common Sense on September 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM

You know what…call me naive or whatever, but I had no idea that election campaigns could sink to this kind of depravity. Enjoying political gaffes, knockabout and insults like Lipstickgate is one thing, but I’m now just feeling sickened by these Dems, libs and media pundits. There are just no limits, no sense of decency.

The feminists really do believe all women think with their vaginas

Yes, and they hate that Palin is now showing everybody that real women have a wide range of political beliefs. The howling is indicative of pure rage.

Fortunata on September 10, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I sincerely hope that Sarah is one of those great people who take the attacks on her very, very personally… and then use them to motivate herself to an even higher level of performance. And I hope Independents are repulsed by the true nature of the left: vindictive to the end.

VastRightWingConspirator on September 10, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Truth Squad Responds

Also on the call was Rep. Marsha Blackburn who said that Fowler’s comments are part of “a pattern that has come into play” from the Obama campaign and surrogates to “diminished [Palin's] accomplishments and demean the work she has done.”

Am I the only one who loves Blackburn nearly as much as Palin?

Damiano on September 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM

No one wants to really talk about the pink elephant in the room.

Rightwingsparkle on September 10, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Allah, consider posting the video of the vapid tool from the SC Dem Party that was just on with Shepard Smith.

This is probably the most idiotic man to spin policy on TV since Sam Donaldson – Shep pointed out what Fowler said, and dude immediately changed the subject to “McCain is old” and “McCain has been in Washington for 30 years.” (No mention of Biden’s tenure there). Holy crap, I started looking around for empty whiskey bottles to throw at the TV.

At least Shep wrapped it it up my mocking the guy about the “McCain is old” comments.

fiatboomer on September 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM

I guess that the Biden gaff machine just added a turbo charger to it.

grapeknutz on September 10, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Update: The obligatory intelligence-insulting “apology”:

And not nearly good enough. Democrats are rabid in the concept of choice when it comes to the decision to kill unborn life or not- yet when a female who made the choice not to kill gets close to high office they launch this kind of attack? Nothing short of resignation is acceptable from this disgusting human being!

highhopes on September 10, 2008 at 8:09 PM

fiatboomer on September 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM

That guy was inartfully trying to engage in spin control- complete with the comment that Democrats in general, Obama, and Fowler all reject those remarks and Fowler really meant to say that Palin was on the ticket because she was pro-life. It didn’t work because Fowler clearly attacked Palin for not killing off her children before they were born. Throw in the fact that Palin’s toddler was born with the full knowledge by the family that he was going to have special needs and Fowler looks like an unfeeling monster. Who in their right mind attacks a mother who decides on life even if the child will have serious medical issues?

If anything, IMO, that guy just made the issue worse for Obama and the Democrats because older white guys have no business being in the position of discussing what some idiot female says about reproductive rights. He came across as a complete tool sent out to do damage control since Fowler wouldn’t. Didn’t work.

highhopes on September 10, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Shes just projecting on what should have happened to her….”away go troubles down the drain!”

Obama Embraces Death!

dmann on September 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM

I can still hear Mark Levins description of the typical NOW member. She epitimonies his description.

Fuquay Steve on September 10, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Mystery solved! AP is a guy!

gryphon202 on September 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I hate judging by pictures but Fowler appears to be the type that must take full advantage of the feminazi role.

Texyank on September 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Texyank on September 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Confirms what I said yesterday: they hate Sarah because she is attractive and gets laid regularly while they, on the other hand, are out of batteries (and catfood).

ManlyRash on September 10, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Please HA peeps, don’t judge my state by this idioto.
Instead, gauge us by Sen. Jim DeMint and Gov. Mark Sanford…both are at the top of their respective lists.

and of course

GO MCCAIN/PALIN!!!

MechEng5by5 on September 10, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Rightwingsparkle on September 10, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Thanks for the link, RWS. I liked your blog post. I think the abortion question is the key to the Palin hatred, for sure. There are all kinds of positions those who oppose her can take against her, but abortion is by far the most intense and emotional.

Missy on September 10, 2008 at 10:39 PM

You know the left wing that makes up todays democratic party are just going crazy. All this has to be Karl Rove’s doing. Rove is a evil genuis. The American people are just to stupid to think one of them should actually be VP.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the Fowler home. Their conversations must just be priceless.

I hope every conservative in South Carolina running for office will hang the Fowlers around the necks of their liberal/progressive/ democratic opponets.

DVPTexFla on September 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM

don’t judge my state by this idioto.

MechEng5by5 on September 10, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I notice your omission of a certain whining “Republican” often referred to as McCain’s mini-me.

highhopes on September 11, 2008 at 8:11 AM

To her credit, Fowler did apologize. Something which I guess is above Obama’s pay grade.

Keith_Indy on September 11, 2008 at 8:20 AM

When I heard that comment, I was absolutely repulsed. Since when is abortion a right of passage? There are a lot of us women who have never had an abortion, many like myself who are single mothers. I still think I am qualified to accomplish many other goals in my life that have nothing to do with alleged “reproductive rights”.

Willie on September 11, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Keith_Indy on September 11, 2008 at 8:20 AM

She did? You’ll have to point out the sincere apology to me. All Fowler did is issue the standard political “I’m sorry if I said something you don’t like” riff. It’s not a matter of finding her comments offensive they were offensive and there should be consequences beyond an issued press release telling us to get over it.

Sarah Palin, in fact made a choice. That should be good enough for the anti-life crowd since they are always talking about choice and choosing life is a choice. Fowler didn’t say that Palin was only on the ticket because she supported drilling in ANWR. She didn’t say Palin was on the ticket because she was a pro-lifer. She didn’t actaully link Palin’s place on the ticket to any single issue (which makes Fowler’s non-apology a lie as well). Instead, Fowler said Palin was on the ticket for not killing off her children, the last of which has Downs Syndrome. That’s offensive no matter who you are!

highhopes on September 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM

“Bonnie Erbe raises the unthinkable possibility of women sexists.”

Er, ah, um, I’ve been running into this species for decades now as an electronics engineer with an MSEE.

{o.o}      Joanne

herself on September 11, 2008 at 11:32 PM

And, yes, Fowler is a sexist. ANYBODY who thinks he must go out of his way to prove he is not a sexist, racist, or whatever-ist probably IS an “-ist” trying to cover for him or her self.

{^_^}