Obama on McCain/Palin: “You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig”; Update: Video added; Update: “A pathetic attempt to play the gender card”

posted at 7:08 pm on September 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

Perfectly innocent, I’m sure, just like Michelle’s bon mot last week about the importance of choosing a running mate who’s smart was perfectly innocent. Even though in that case, as in this one, reporters on the scene were so struck by the audience’s laughter they went out of their way to mention it.

Just your right-wing media exaggerating things as usual.

“That’s not change,” Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said of what Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is offering.

“You know, you can put lipstick on a pig,” Obama said, “but it’s still a pig.”

The crowd rose and applauded, some of them no doubt thinking he may have been alluding to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s ad lib during her vice presidential nomination acceptance speech last week, “What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick.”

That’s Jake Tapper and a co-author, themselves “no doubt thinking” that Obama was kinda sorta calling Palin a pig. Otherwise they wouldn’t have wasted a post on what was otherwise a throwaway line at a random town hall.

And they’re not the only ones who took it that way.

Exit question: I defended him when he took heat from women for the “likeable enough” comment and his Annie Oakley goof on Hillary, but then came “sweetie” and now this. How come The One keeps running into these funny little misunderstandings with comments aimed at women politicians?

Update: Bear in mind as the inevitable nutroots naysaying about this gets going how insistent and ingenious they were in spinning secret offensive subtexts out of McCain’s ads. They’ll drill through six feet of bedrock to find “code” in something a conservative says, but they won’t dust off the topsoil of Obama’s comments.

Update:

Update: Here’s the video; the McCain camp is already coming after him for it. He doesn’t overemphasize the line, as you might think he would if he really wanted to hammer the point, but then if he hammered the point he wouldn’t have plausible deniability. Having watched it, I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt — more so than Kaus is, apparently — just because I hate when the left pulls this with innocent statements made by conservatives. But again, the point isn’t what he actually meant, which we can’t know; the point is how different those secret liberal racial/gender decoder rings seem to work when it’s one of their guys in the hot seat. David Bellavia, a war hero, got smeared with accusations of unconscious racism on MSNBC for making an innocent remark about Tiger Woods. Fortunately, the Messiah is above such unconscious impulses.

Update: And right on cue, here’s the governor of New York drilling through six feet of bedrock.

Update: Here’s Gov. Jane Swift laying into Obama on Team Maverick’s conference call this afternoon.

Update: The campaign that played the race card so skillfully against the Clintons suddenly locates its scruples.

“Enough is enough,” Obama senior adviser Anita Dunn said in a statement e-mailed to reporters

“The McCain campaign’s attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy – the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s health care plan just last year,” she continued. “This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run.”

Here’s a story of McCain using it last year. Hillary, of course, hadn’t made any lipstick references to herself before then so there was no context for McCain to play off of.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

No way I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, the people in the audience were laughing and cheering because they knew what he was saying. My co-workers who will vote for obama were laughing and acknowledging that BO called her a pig. Why is it ok for the Obama supporters to acknowledge and laugh that he was reffering to palin yet we can’t?

jaboba on September 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM

OF COURSE it’s an old expression. Nobody is saying that 0bama made it up – we all know he has never said anything original; David Axelrod has written every word he has said, including the whole Hopenchange schtick which was lifted in its entirety from Deval Patrick.

The point is that this is one expression that You Do Not Use Against A Woman.

Republicans have already had to take many such expressions off the table because of their obvious racial connotations, even though in everyday conversation those expressions are commonly used in a nonracial way, such as: “The pot calling the kettle black,” and “calling a spade a spade,” and “uppity.”

Well, this is one expression that should be off the table for Democrats. Turnabout IS fair play here. Instead, we see them using it all over the country with multiple speakers and writers. We see Barack 0bama positively giddy about using it.

This is from the same man who said of Hillary Clinton “we’re going to see the kitchen sink being thrown,” “periodically…when she’s down,” and called a female reporter “sweetie.” This is not hypersensitivity by women, it is identification of a pattern and a major misogynist disorder in a man who wants to lead this country.

It also sickens me to see women like Anita Dunn falling for this act and being forced to defend it. I do not see how any woman with an ounce of self respect could work for this campaign after yesterday.

rockmom on September 10, 2008 at 8:25 AM

The double standard is pretty damn embarrassing.

ashain on September 10, 2008 at 8:08 AM

You can train the dog all you want. He won’t hunt.

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 8:29 AM

rockmom on September 10, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Precisely.

It is now, officially, a pattern of behavior. Lookout, Obama, because you’ll be hearing this a lot.

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 8:32 AM

It’s interesting annoying to see all the libruls use McCain’s use of the phrase as evidence that it;s no big deal. Here’s the difference:

McCain criticized Democratic contenders for offering what he called costly universal health care proposals that require too much government regulation. While he said he had not studied Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton’s health-care plan, he said it was “eerily reminiscent” of the failed plan she offered as first lady in the early 1990s.

“I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig,” he said of her proposal.

It’s obvious that in context, McCain was talking about the healthcare plan.

I think it’s also obvious (in context) that Obama meant to link his remark with Sarah Palin.

Obama is going to pay and pay dearly for this.

NoFanofLibs on September 10, 2008 at 8:38 AM

NoFanofLibs on September 10, 2008 at 8:38 AM

No explanation is needed.

It’s blatantly obvious to the most casual of listeners.

Obama is looking in the mirror right now saying,”You just couldn’t control yourself, could you?”

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2008 at 7:04 AM

Good morning S_freude…

This is really getting to be some fun here.
I’m beginning to think many posters here, are actually demonstrating amazing psychic, insight…?

You all… are actually able to channel Barack’s subliminal, subconscious thoughts, all righty than.

What’ll it be next, astral projection or out of body experiences…?

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:42 AM

The minute Palin made the lipstick comment about being a hockey mom, the word had connotations. Obama’s speechwriters knew that making a lipstick comment (old expression or not) would immediately be associated with Palin. These writers knew good and well that they were calling Palin a pig and the audience reaction proves that they got the insult.

Just how stupid is it for Obama’s people to insult a woman when he already has problems with this demographic?

highhopes on September 10, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Amazing how fast Team McCain put this together: http://townhall.com/blog/g/8306bc92-692f-49e6-9a84-feee6f6a552e

But let’s not get too cocky.

We need to see more battle ground state poll date move McCain’s way, because right now (at least with the data we got) Barack wins on electorial votes. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=10

Don’t fall into the trap Obama supporters did, this is far from over.

Oh by the way, here is Townhall Matt Lewis’ dating video.

Mr. Joe on September 10, 2008 at 8:46 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:42 AM

What you seem to be missing is that if this were an unintended insult due to a poor choice of words (it wasn’t but let’s say it was), there are other ways for Obama’s people to deal the situation other than issuing angry statements talking about McCain playing the gender card. Obama, perhaps, could have simply apologized that his words were taken the wrong way.

highhopes on September 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM

JellyToast on September 10, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Hey Jelly_, actually the Saint was stickin’ it to, Hillary’s plan for health care.

You are correct however; one politicians nuance may be another’s dirty dig…?

It’s just so much fun, isn’t it…?

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:50 AM

I think BO was referring to Mrs. Palin with his “lipstick on a pig” statement and the “stinking fish” statement. Remember Todd Palin is a “fish picker” or commercial fisherman in Alaska, too.

gracie on September 9, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Bingo gracie!!!

Keemo on September 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

highhopes on September 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Apologize for speaking the truth about no change with McCain and Palin…!

You’re kiddin’, right, highhopes…?

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

I have seen now that “uppity” is an insult.

WHy? I don’t understand why that word is so bad to say? Can someone clue me in?

bridgetown on September 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Meet the Real Sarah Palin blog, has a poll about the pig and lipstick comment, you can vote here.

Dr Evil on September 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM

What’ll it be next, astral projection or out of body experiences…?

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:42 AM

As if the undecided female voters give one hoot about my astral projections.

They have no interest in the such trivial matters.

They now have a new image that just clocked them upside the head, though. And it ain’t “policy” with lipstick.

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Keemo on September 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

WOW…!

Keemo, I think you’ve nailed it, clever, nuanced, double entendre…!

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Read my lipstick, no new taxes.

indythinker on September 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

You seem pretty confused. Whether the comment about no change is true or not, the insult was inappropriate. You can be right and still be a jerk who needs to apologize. Clearly you just don’t get it but, then, Obama supporters are a pretty dimwitted lot from my observation.

highhopes on September 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM

I have seen now that “uppity” is an insult.

WHy? I don’t understand why that word is so bad to say? Can someone clue me in?

bridgetown on September 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM

You sound like you’re serious so I’ll assume you really don’t know. In times past, the word “uppity” was often followed by a certain derogatory term beginning with the letter “n”.

backwoods conservative on September 10, 2008 at 9:08 AM

backwoods conservative on September 10, 2008 at 9:08 AM

I was serious. Thank you. I’d never heard that before.
Now I know.

bridgetown on September 10, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM

OK Salty_, you and Keemo oughta’ get together and commiserate…!

You’ve got one angle on this and I believe he’s nailed both…?

Keemo on September 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:11 AM

highhopes on September 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM

BO has been so protected by the MSM, that I truly think he believes he can get away with this stuff. I think the MSM has actually handicapped him in ways he has yet to understand.

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Become what you hate.

SouthernDem on September 10, 2008 at 9:11 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM

It’s a shame really. Your guy Obama is toast and you know it. This as evidenced by you having nothing to say other than petty and meaningless quips to other people’s posts.

I was hoping that Obama was going to make this a real race, but he cratered faster than expected. And the beauty of it? It didn’t come from the reckless slanders and out of control behavior of his surrogates.

It came straight from Obama himself.

My kitty says:

Sweet. Maybe he should have thought about it before he said it…just saying.

Et tu Brute on September 10, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Everytime I hear one of these Obama gaffes, I get just about as “happy as a pig in sh*t”.

3 point McCain bounce coming.

garry on September 10, 2008 at 9:15 AM

Wow. McCain actually said the same thing about Hilary a few months ago, almost word for word:

“I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig,”
ashain on September 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Simple obvious difference for the intelligent type. McCain was referring to the health plan, and Hillary had made no recent mention of ‘lipstick’ when referring to herself.

Palin had made a recent reference to herself in regard to lipstick, and Obama was referring to nothing in particular, except McCain/Palin = Old Fish/ Pig and change.

cntrlfrk on September 10, 2008 at 9:17 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Now now. Don’t be bitter. It’s not your fault he said it.

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:17 AM

“…As if the undecided female voters give one hoot about my astral projections. Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Salty_, you’ll never know till you try it, at least once…!

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:19 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:19 AM\

See what I mean? I’ve tried it several times. Nobody is even paying attention.

“Lipstick on a pig” resonates like thunder, though, huh?

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:26 AM

“…This as evidenced by you having nothing to say other than petty and meaningless quips to other people’s posts. Et tu Brute on September 10, 2008 at 9:14 AM

You’ve nailed me _Brute…!

We’ve got two wars goin’ on, a national economy in shambles the whole country is in a damn deep ditch…!

I should be discussing really important things.

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:28 AM

WHY am I seeing a link to only one of the presidential candidates at the end of this article by Nedra Pickler?

Yeah, they’re alllll in the tank for McCain.

hoosiermama on September 10, 2008 at 9:34 AM

hoosiermama on September 10, 2008 at 9:34 AM

They obviously didn’t provide the context of; or the entire statement made, by Barack.

Whether this was an intentional omission by My Way News, is a judgment you will have to make.

I included it earlier.

‘Obama poked fun at McCain and Palin’s new “change” mantra.

“You can put lipstick on a pig,” “It’s still a pig.”

“You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It’s still gonna stink.”

“We’ve had enough of the same old thing.”

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Thanks for that.

What I don’t get though, is:

Why does he feel it necessary to call Palin a “pig”?

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Salty_ you dah babe!

You’ve got me flummoxed…!

There’s notin’ more I can do to expand your understanding of the contextual statement.

Honest, I tried.

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Well then, I’m making that judgment. Most AP stories have links to all involved parties. Except when it’s a Republican.
See here.
Contrast with this.
And this.
And this.
Funny how that works, huh?

hoosiermama on September 10, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Maybe Obama should now say this to keep himself out of trouble going forward:

“You can put lipstick on a pit bull, but it’s still a dog.”

RD on September 10, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I have seen now that “uppity” is an insult.

Why? I don’t understand why that word is so bad to say? Can someone clue me in?

bridgetown on September 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Add to that “Community Organizer”…it’s code word for “black”

christene on September 10, 2008 at 10:07 AM

You’ve got me flummoxed…!

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM

You’ve got you flummoxed.

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM

As if that’s the point. LOL! If this is moving too fast for you, let me know.

You keep ‘splainin. Maybe it will make sense if you keep ‘splainin!

Saltysam on September 10, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Democrats claim that Republicans use code words meaning black and that is racist–now we find the Democrats code words of lipstick and fish as a means to speak against women. No matter how the One thought, it clearly shows he does not think clearly as to how his remarks will be perceived. Poor baby!

Pat in NC on September 10, 2008 at 10:30 AM

ok we need to close now. Dems whine. Repubs march on.

ConservativePartyNow on September 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I may have missed this in another post but no one is talking about BO’s follow up funny. When you put the two statements together how can you not draw the conclusion that he is referring to both Palin AND McCain?

“You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig,”

“You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called ‘change,’ it’s still going to stink,” Obama said.

A pig with lipstick and an Old smelly fish.

Hmmm him saying he meant nothing by it smells a little Fishy to me…

@[email protected] on September 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM

If Palin is the pig is NcCain the old fish?????

ndulik on September 10, 2008 at 11:23 AM

SP live now on 3 major cable networks, from Virginia. Ed, could you have a Drudge-like “red alert” when Sarah is speaking live on TV? It could be Sarah’s head spinning around 360 degrees with her beehive flashing off and on.

Paul-Cincy on September 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM

How to exploit Barry’s inartful analogy:

Have Governor Palin approach the podium for a speech, put on lipstick, and say “Excuse me, this pit bull needs her lipstick. By the way, my opponent has confused me with a different animal, but he hasn’t figured out yet that I’m against pork.”

Steve Z on September 10, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Apologize for speaking the truth about no change with McCain and Palin…!

You’re kiddin’, right, highhopes…?

J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

J_Gocht, I moved on the “lipstick Schwein” thing, and may the marbles end where they roll.

However, for you to think that any sane person believes that Obama will bring “change” is extremely naive.

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Sorry, s/b “I moved on, regarding the “lipstick Schwein” thing…

Entelechy on September 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM

How to exploit Barry’s inartful analogy:

Steve Z on September 10, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Gawd, that’s brilliant!

RickZ on September 10, 2008 at 11:37 AM

If Obama had a sense of humor, I think he could turn this into a positive. In defending using the term “lipstick on a pig” he should say that he was just “calling a spade a spade.” It would show he has a sense of humor, and understands the mistake.

But he never admits mistakes, and has no true sense of humor.

BTW, this would NOT WORK as a response by the McCain/Palin camp – serious backfire if they did.

connertown on September 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Dude,
Swift is not the governor of New York.

Don’t you read your stuff before you click on the Enter key?

What a maroon.

pabarge on September 10, 2008 at 11:56 AM

How to exploit Barry’s inartful analogy:

Steve Z on September 10, 2008 at 11:30 AM

That would make an awesome commercial!

OUTSTANDING

Marine_Bio on September 10, 2008 at 12:05 PM

You know the thing that leads me to conclude that this was a genuine attack with plausible deniability is the response of Obama himself.

Had this been a genuine use of the colloquialism, he could have diverted any of the response by acknowledging that this was not his intended use and APOLOGIZE personally for an unforseen implication.

Instead what we get is the moral equivalence arguement for John McCain using it to describe a policy that Hillary Clinton had proposed.

Unfortunately, unless you’re stupid, it doesn’t even make sense as an equivalency.

So is it Obama’s arrogance, intention, or capitalizing on what others took from the statement? Likely the intersection of the first two.

So, onward we go, with a commerical that now skewers Obama on this point.

This is getting fun.

Marine_Bio on September 10, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I just found a great picture of a pig in lipstick I hadn’t seen before at:

oldbluejacket.com/images/lipstick_on_a_pig.jpg

la.rt.wngr on September 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM

It’s just so much fun, isn’t it…? – J_Gocht on September 10, 2008 at 8:50 AM

For us? Yeah. McCain and Palin are headed for victory in November.

For you? Not so much.

ManlyRash on September 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM

la.rt.wngr on September 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM

DUDE an warning would have been nice.

Isn’t that going too close to the topic at hand?

Marine_Bio on September 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Check out where he got the lines that led up to the pig..lipstick schtick..

Little plagerism

theblacksheepwasright on September 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Marine_Bio on September 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM

sorry for not warning anyone about that, my bad.

la.rt.wngr on September 10, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Nice analysis of the McCain-Palin “lipstick” counter-ad at Ann Althouse.

‘Just heard on Rush that CBS claimed copyright infringement so they’ve pulled the ad off of YouTube.

Y-not on September 10, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Anyone else recall obama telling Clinton voters to “get over it”?!….obama is so full of himself its not even funny.

christene on September 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM

How many times has he used that line in the past? None? Wow, that’s quite the coincidence isn’t it Nobama. Now he’s laughing at all, including us, that saw through what he was doing. Quite the little traveling comedy show ya got there Barry. Who’s the real pig here. It’s arrogance like this clown displays, that makes me promote McCain/Palin even more.

oakpack on September 10, 2008 at 3:43 PM

If the McCain camp knew this would be “catnip” for the press, why didn’t Senator Obama? Maybe he’s bucking for the sympathy vote for being hammered over petty politics while avoiding having to defend his positions on real issues.

mike_NC9 on September 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM

How many times has he used that line in the past? None?
oakpack on September 10, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Actually he used it on Hillary last year.
But it is all in context. Carter called Obama a “black boy” and no problem, now imagine McCain saying “Obama is a nice black boy”. It doesn’t matter how many times, it is the context…

right2bright on September 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Here’s how it is.
Bambi did the mud diving hoping to induce an Alinsky moment. Something he could turn around and use against McCain/Palin. Trouble is, he is a one trick pony. This is all he knows. Congratulations McCain for ignoring him. Semi-Congrats to all others who did respond. You have hung a “lipstick tail” on Bambi (I like it!) similar to the flip-flop necklace Kerry earned.
But let it ferment now. It needs rest to work and gain strength for the next and the next etc. use. MacPal have the campaign under control so let’s display some confidence in them.
Congress is a co-equal branch of government under attack by fascists. Just as hard and longer than MacPal. Let’s give MacPal some coattails so conservative agendas stand a chance. The House is getting closer every day. Include your congressman in your efforts, too. The Senate is more dicey but it’s rules need only 40 to block fascist bills. 48 or 49 is better as sh*t happens.
A successful army doesn’t stop at one battle. It goes on to the next until the war is won. Conservative thought needs to move on, too. I suggest Congress is the next target.

Give ’em Hell John and Sarah. Godspeed.
PS Intrade has a new category: Biden quits and Hillary is back!!! So? No? Anybody?

Caststeel on September 10, 2008 at 6:00 PM

And tonight CNN asks, without any irony at all, I’m sure, which candidate is Bringing Home the Bacon?

andycanuck on September 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Hey O’Bomba!
Thats our Sarahcuda pisshead, she can take care of herself, but don’t make us come over there and bitchslap your dumb punkass! Looser!

dhunter on September 10, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Another thing I noticed about the actual video of Oh-Drama calling my Vice-Presidential candidate a pig:

Notice how he is “pulling a Hillary” and FAKING a southern accent in front of that southwest/southside Virginia crowd?
He said the word “policy” several times but pronounced it with a heavy southern “polisayh”. At LEAST three times, to recollection.

C’mon. The guy grows up in Hawai’i (where southern accents are NOT encouraged by the locals) and later settles in Chicago (Ditto). Then he puts on this FAKE southern drawl.

What a fake. How lacking in genuine honesty can he be?

BTW, I went to the McCain/Palin rally in Fairfax, VA today. It was GREAT.

Shirotayama on September 10, 2008 at 9:29 PM

I kept asking myself why their presidential candidate kept talking about our V.P. candidate.
I think I may have figured it out. She stole his spotlight.

Obama is acting like a little kid. A little kid who’se angry at the other kid that gets all of the attention from mommy.

Someone is taking all of the attention away from Obama. And I think he can’t handle it.

29Victor on September 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Could this comment from the Michelle Obama’s staff have a connection with Obama’s lipstick remark? Could it possibly indicate some sort of strategy to put this pig/pork image out there in an effort to brand Sarah Palin? Notice the Madison avenue approach, the use of imagery. Images of Miss piggy and Leona Helmsly.

Politico quoted Michelle Obama’s “chief of staff” ( btw that is a very interesting title for his wife’s assistant-especially after Obama announced she was not running for office ):

“Stephanie Cutter, Michelle Obama’s chief of staff, told MSNBC on Tuesday: “The more we learn about her, the more these facts don’t add up. We now learn that she’s the queen of pork in Alaska.”

Lipstick on a pig, the queen of pork.. the unpleasant image of a pig..and the exact opposite of what Sarah Palin represents. I may be over-reacting but I think this “[pork/pig] trend will continue to be their theme. They used the same strategy with McCain earlier by taking what he is recognized for doing and then run ads over and over which claim the exact opposite. So we’re probably in for tons of ads attempting to paint her as the “pork queen” and on a subconsious level as unattractive.
Also: Earlier today, a Democratic Congressman dug up Obama’s earlier Hillary slam, as “Annie Oakley” as a weak attempt to ridicule Palin. That one seems harmless, but I think this “piggy” theme has an agenda behind it.

rags

Ragnell on September 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Here is another Obama campaign reference to “dressing up with lipstick” Now this episode confirms that this word play is deliberate.

Introducing Joe Biden as “one of the foremost experts in foreign affairs in the country” in St. Louis just now, my colleague Victoria McGrane reports, Rep. Russ Carnahan also took a swipe at Palin.“For all his tough talk [McCain] buckled to the right wing of his party in his choice. Picked someone with zero experience in national government, zero experience in foreign affairs. There’s no way you can dress up that record, even with a lot of lipstick,” he said.

rags

Ragnell on September 11, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Just more garbage for the high school hallway rather than a political philosophy forum. Who else is ready for the election to come and go? I’m growing increasingly tired of American politics, or should I say, American Fallacy Theater.
It’s no wonder nothing gets done in Washington: it’s not like most folks put much thought into the candidates’ leadership, character, and intelligence credentials. The next four years should be… interesting, regardless who wins.

Send_Me on September 11, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Evening everyone. I see J_Gocht is in need of his head being lopped off, so I’m glad to be here.

Obama’s campaign is self-destructing. They don’t know how to handle Palin, and when she points out that Barack Obama voted for 90% of the pork that came out of the Senate (where the pork comes from, not from Alaska. It’s gotta come from Washington first), that makes him worried.

John McCain has a perfect record. 100% with the CAGW. Obama is at 10%, while Biden is 0%. So, tell me, who are the pigs now?

Sakaki on September 11, 2008 at 3:57 AM

Personally, I don’t think the ‘Lipstick on a Pig’ reference was an intentional dis on Palin by Barry. But the crowd obviously did, and he followed it up with an ‘uhhh, ummm’ butchered stinky fish joke.

Remember people. This guy was talking without a teleprompter. He was borderline brain-dead when he made these comments.

When he is speaking off the cuff, this clown tries to be Bill Cosby. But Bill Cosby was funny.

cntrlfrk on September 11, 2008 at 9:16 AM

0bamas hasty press conference and same day booking on letterman was to staunch the bleeding. Team 0bama doesn’t care about independents so much as Hillary voting women. The term “lipstick on a pig” is offensive because it is sexist. The story had legs before Team McCain picked up on it because Team 0bama has done such a lousy job of appealing to women voters he alienated during the primary by calling Hillary racist. There is no love lost between Team 0bama and Team Hillary. Women sensitive to these lipstick remarks will not forgive him no matter how many talk shows he books for the next 57 days. The point many are missing is that Team 0bama had already offended these women in the primary and desperately needs their vote in the general.

Angry Dumbo on September 11, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Obama knew exactly what he was saying and didn’t mind at all the reference to Sarah Palin or John McCain. If there has been no backlash, he would still be bleating the same lines firmly and um uh um uh uh umn uh commandingly!

Obama reminds me of a box of chocolates that look great but once you bite into them…..yrchhhh! some sort of gooey shit with a sickening sweet maraschino(sp?) cherry in it.

Spit…