Comedy gold: Lefty radio hosts crestfallen as Palin defended by … Mike Gravel

posted at 5:30 pm on September 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

You don’t hear their hearts actually start to break until he says, “Troopergate is going to come out in her favor.” Although the most traumatic part, surely, must have been the exchange about how the mayor of Wasilla’s experience compares favorably to Barack Obama’s. Hey, that’s not in the script.

Pessimism meter reading: 9.85 6.1 and dropping like a stone.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

6.1? Yikes…that’s suicide watch territory!

flipflop on September 9, 2008 at 5:32 PM

First commandment for lawyers:
Never bring in anyone to testify if you don’t know exactly what he will say.

jgapinoy on September 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Oh, snap!

rockhead on September 9, 2008 at 5:36 PM

I don’t really understand this pessimism meter. Is there a faq somewhere? A scale? Is 10 meta-physical pessimism? Does this dial go up to 11?

PackerBronco on September 9, 2008 at 5:37 PM

OMG this is awesome!

dc84123 on September 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Ugh… told ya Mac was still going to lose. Hope everyone enjoyed the three day fantasy.

Illinidiva on September 9, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Haha classic! You can actually hear the disconcertion.

First commandment for lawyers:
Never bring in anyone to testify if you don’t know exactly what he will say.

jgapinoy on September 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Amen!

Citizen Duck on September 9, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Gravel: “should we wait until he killed somebody-”

Question: ‘let’s now go to Sarah Palin’s pregnant daughter…’

LOL.

wise_man on September 9, 2008 at 5:40 PM

PackerBronco on September 9, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Same here. Wouldn’t a drop (9.85-6.1) in pessimism meter mean more optimistic? Yet, Ace’s link seems like bad news.

I’m confused.

aquaviva on September 9, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Pessimism meter reading: 9.85 6.1 and dropping like a stone

Glad you’re coming around AP

theguardianii on September 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM

I’m confused.

aquaviva on September 9, 2008 at 5:40 PM

An increase in the pessimism meter is a good thing.

Illinidiva on September 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM

These two “radio professionals” should find something very high to jump off of. What a pair of losers, and desperate to boot.

AubieJon on September 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM

But usually the pessimism meter CLIMBS when there’s good news.

I’m afraid we need AP to actually explain his meter a bit for us.

DaveS on September 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Wait. Now I’m confused about the pessimism meter. It would seem the higher the meter the greater the pessimism, no? That’s the way I’ve always read it in any case.

Citizen Duck on September 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Guess the Rip VanWinkles at AP finally woke up to what’s happening around them.

GarandFan on September 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I don’t get this meter either. When it drops does that mean AP is feeling better or worse about McCain/Palin’s odds in Nov? Quick someone put up a AP FAQ

p0s3r on September 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM

This is dy-no-mite! Mike Gravel! Mike Gravel!

Gravel needs to be on the Palin truth squad. What a weird political year this is.

BrianBoru on September 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Libs try to silence or cut off any dissenting views.

marklmail on September 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Damn. Those two got throttled by Gravel! He must have channeled KP or something. He was right on the nose, in my opinion.

Spirit of 1776 on September 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

So, we just needed Mike Gravel to persuade you, AP?

Who knew?

SteveMG on September 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Question: Why would a 6’5″, 285 pound 35 year old man who has been divorced four (4) times, taser his 10 year old stepson and beat his wife, then threaten to blow her father’s brains out if she tells anyone? I am very glad that there are people like Sarah to stand up to these type of animals.

volsense on September 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

That was great! They are begging him to say something bad about her. But, but but Mike…. That is priceless. At least one person in that interview had some objectivity.

Add me to the pessimism meter confusion list.

pannw on September 9, 2008 at 5:46 PM

1 = suicidal
10 = light jitters

ninjapirate on September 9, 2008 at 5:46 PM

PWNED

But who are those two radio losers? The woman has a weird accent.

Andy in Agoura Hills on September 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM

But usually the pessimism meter CLIMBS when there’s good news.

I took that mean that AP thought the news was too good to be true, and accordingly, pessimistic.

The pessimism meter… Hot Air’s own ‘lil Rorschach blot.

Citizen Duck on September 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Throw in the Latest Gallup that’s got McCain up 52%-37% amongst independents, AP.

How many notches does that crank the pessi-meter down?

SuperCool on September 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM

When my pessimism goes down my optimism goes up. So the meter going down is a good thing.

Libs are just so sanctimonious. They are right and any opposing view is wrong. Period.

ctmom on September 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM

The best part was at the end when the interviewer tries to discredit the entire interview by getting Gravel to admit that he’s now a McCain/Palin supporter. Gravel says no way, and I’m not voting for your dope Obama either.

Comedy gold is right.

JiangxiDad on September 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Question: Why would a 6′5″, 285 pound 35 year old man who has been divorced four (4) times, taser his 10 year old stepson and beat his wife, then threaten to blow her father’s brains out if she tells anyone? I am very glad that there are people like Sarah to stand up to these type of animals.

volsense on September 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Obviously because Palin is such a horrible governor. Just imagine what will happen to troopers across the country when she becomes VP!

m064404 on September 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Best interview ever…

McCain should run that as an ad.

Damiano on September 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM

1 = suicidal positively suicidial
10 = light jitters contemplating suicide

ninjapirate on September 9, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Ok, I think I get it now. Thanks all.

aquaviva on September 9, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Holy, crow, what an interview!

Time and again the interviewers try to lead Gravel to say something negative about Palin, and time and again he won’t buy it.

It is so beautiful for showing the liberal bias of these interviewers. Who are they?

JudetheFossil on September 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Ok, now uh, er, wait a minute, here’s how uh, the uh, pessimism ok, pessimism meter, er, uh, ok, I’m on this. Here’s er, uh… but hey, I’m glad you’rwe fired up!

Mr_Magoo on September 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM

3, 2, 1- The Dems just pressed their self-destruct button! Yes, I do hear OBAMA SCREAMING! Or whining! LMAO!

HOLY COW! This would make for an excellent ad in one of the swing states or even more so in CA, NH, MA or NY. I cannot believe this! Each day is a whole new disaster day for the Dems. I almost afraid to enjoy this.

freeus on September 9, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Allah’s pessimism meter is the reverse of normal. Low numbers are more pessimistic, while high numbers are optimistic.

It comes from being “eeyorePundit”.

Vanceone on September 9, 2008 at 5:54 PM

I think the pessimism meter rose (more optimistic) because of this stunning interview, but then fell based on the “bad” polling news (to which Allah links)

JudetheFossil on September 9, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Me like Mike!!!! :)

poxoma on September 9, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Me thinks he wasn’t properly vetted.

rockhead on September 9, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Rasmussen? I thought were back with Zogby?

Is there an instruction manual that comes with this site?

SteveMG on September 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM

that was tooo funny. Makes you smile. he was right on why is Palin “extreme” on abortion when Obama’s position isn’t. Both are at the very ends of the spectrum. One chooses life in every circumstance and the other chooses death. What is extreme about life?

unseen on September 9, 2008 at 5:57 PM

New fangled electronics! Stick with the glass of water, it’s much less confusing.

rockhead on September 9, 2008 at 5:57 PM

I love how every time Gravel body-slams these two clowns on one issue, they jump to another. What fun!

jgapinoy on September 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM

What a weird political year this is.

BrianBoru on September 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Amen…

right2bright on September 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM

“Isn’t Sarah Palin evil incarnate?”

“No. In fact, she’s…”

“Let’s change the subject, Mmm-kay?”

Gold, indeed.

Bruce in NH on September 9, 2008 at 5:59 PM

This guy praised Palin, dissed the hosts, dissed Obama, dissed McCain/Palin ticket, praised Rumsfeld, that interview was one of the strangest I have ever heard.

right2bright on September 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Now that is being sandbagged. LOL… Best clip of the week.

kevinkristy on September 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Pessimism meter reading: 9.85 6.1 and dropping like a stone.

Now we’re in trouble….

irishspy on September 9, 2008 at 6:01 PM

LOL, that wasn’t what the hosts were expecting.

Buford on September 9, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Pessimism meter reading: 9.85 6.1 and dropping like a stone.

Based on one poll and Olbermann and Ace says Team Obama knows what it says already? Give me a break. You think the media’s gonna put this much energy into this and then let out only positive polling data? They have their constituents of callers that make you believe what they want you to believe so you’ll vote the way they want you to vote.

NO REFORMERS SAYS THE MEDIA!

Don’t you know the MSM controls who wins? That’s how after McShamnesty we end up with the guy you love to be pessimistic about. Heh, what’s new?

Sultry Beauty on September 9, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I still think the man is crazy, but that was a very kind defense of Palin. And it even made sense too.

Esthier on September 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM

“She’s not my cup of tea, but at least I can have the objective ability to be able to look at it and take it for what it is….”

Umm, wow. A breath of fresh air.

I was so sick of the rank and fetid breath that was coming from liberal, double standard bearing HARPY WOMEN that to hear a man speak in objectivity makes me fair giggly.

SuzEQCitizen on September 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM

G?, …Gra..Gravel..um mania?

Eh, not so much. But it was funny the way he smacked those two amateurs around.

Blarg the Destroyer on September 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Host: All of this [Palin's baby & daughter's pregnancy] is a ridiculous side show in American politics that we shouldn’t even be discussing….let’s talk about it, shall we.
Gravel: I think it’s none of our damn business.

Wow…I had now idea Gravel could be so reasonable.

dont taze me bro on September 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM

…oh, and the accent of the mentally freaking out female sounded Indian to me.

SuzEQCitizen on September 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM

There’s a slogan we should run with: DEMOCRATS, PARTY OF WAR!

Western_Civ on September 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Fascinating!

How about we get Gravel to debate this guy?

Connie on September 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM

So, we celebrate the Gravel interview and await with dread (okay, not really dread, but less than jubilation) the polling results that Plouffe seems already to know all about (per Ace of Spades).

It seems that every day in this amazing campaign squeezes in the activity and antics of a month of 1980 time.

It’s going to be a roller coaster ride for Allah, and the rest of us, all the way to November.

JudetheFossil on September 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Was that really Saturday Night Live? People like that can’t really exist in the United States. Did I hear a mix of a minnesota accent and an arabic accent on that woman?

peacenprosperity on September 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Why did they even have him on?

Some times when you get what you want, you don’t want what you get.

TheSitRep on September 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I can’t rule out the option of Mike Gravel pulling the lever for McCain. Not after listening to that…

Hoodlumman on September 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM

The one line that was edited was when the radio announcers said:

“Your honor…I’d like permission to treat the witness as a hostile witness”

Talk about not getting what they were expecting from an interview!!

120pages on September 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM

That was MOST enjoyable…

Candy Slice on September 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM

An NBC poll rumored to show Obama 46 McCain 45??? Talk about your soft bigotry of low expectations…

rw on September 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM

That is hilarious! They were horrified when he said she has more experience than Obama. That was a great clip.

jonezee on September 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Wow. That Troopergate section! “Do they have to wait until he kills somebody to get rid of him??”

You go Mike! Not working for the guy from Pacifica, so on to her 17 year-old’s personal life…and Gravel shoots THAT down. Female interviewer: “But Mike, but Mike…” then advocates for Obama’s experience.

Wow. (What’s that accent the woman has? I don’t recognize it – does anyone here?)

capitalist piglet on September 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Wow just WOW! Gotta give Mike his props. That was amazing! and refreshing to hear! I wish we had more people like him in both parties.

I love to hear a good thumpin’

USBB on September 9, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Gravel is a crazy mofo but this was quite glorious.

V15J on September 9, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Oh, snap!

rockhead on September 9, 2008 at 5:36 PM

read before I post.
read before I post.
read before I post.

mad saint jack on September 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM

The best is the part where the stammering female host defensively retreats to something along the lines of “well, it remains to be seen if the American people connect with her, especially women”… Guess she hadn’t seen the poll showing the 20 point flip with women in McCain/Palin’s favor.

RightWinged on September 9, 2008 at 6:11 PM

That was pretty darn funny – that woman got perfectly SHRILL at times.

HawaiiLwyr on September 9, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Hilarious.
Like a father talking to his silly teenage daughter.

bridgetown on September 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Allah is almost optimistic? That deserves it’s own thread.

Hog Wild on September 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Man, that lady’s accent is painful!

kcluva on September 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Mike Gravel’s endorsement, or even good opinion, is a bit like that crazy uncle we all have complimenting us on how we’ve grown at the family picnic. You just smile and keep an eye on his hands.

…and the lady’s accent is a bit distracting, but the denizens of Pacifica Radio would doubtless take offense at our noticing it. Then again, who cares, so long as she is fluent.

Puritan1648 on September 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Allah is almost optimistic? That deserves it’s own thread.

Hog Wild on September 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM

No, the meter counterintuitive

10 = comtemplating suicide
1 = shot rings out, smoking revolver falls to fall

aquaviva on September 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Man, that lady’s accent is painful!

kcluva on September 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Yeah, I thought a might vomit there for a second.

I’ve had really bad tech support that wasn’t that awful.

TheSitRep on September 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM

mad saint jack on September 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Dude, I didn’t realize I was breaking etiquette by posting what I thought the weird sounding radio chick was thinking as I was listening to it.

Link for the rules page, s.v.p.

rockhead on September 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM

TO FUNNY LETS TURN TO A DIFFERENT MATTER!!!!!!!!!!! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.NO DAMN BODYS BUSINESS.GRAVEL IS ONE OF THE DEMOCRATS THAT MCCAIN WAS TALKING ABOUT PUTTING IN HIS CABINET.STILL LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Marines for Mccain on September 9, 2008 at 6:27 PM

The girl sounds like she is from England, STAY OUT OF OUR POLITICS!!!!

Gravel has just won my respect, I would not be suprised if he pulls a Mccain lever, but he will pull the Barr lever, he is a libertarian.

The left streams sounded heart broken when he said it would be resolved in her favour. Grasping at straws.

clover_dave on September 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Reply to m064404 @ 5:50.
If Sarah becomes VP, troopers will be expected not to beat their wives, not taser their children and not drink while on duty. You see how utterly stupid this Troopergate investigation is and it will backfire on the intellectually dishonest media trying to twist it with absolutely no regard for the truth.

volsense on September 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I’m certain that the woman’s accent makes her a South Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan). Not really FOB, but not native US is my guess.
Why? Because I’m one too.

Fortunata on September 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

He may be a nut but Gravel has integrity which is more than can be said for those twits interviewing him. Who are those degenerates?

bill30097 on September 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM

That lady interviewer had that god awful CNN international news voice that gets on my last nerve.

TheSitRep on September 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Gravel will not be heard on any MSM/liberal/etc ever again.

Not that the left is spiteful or anything.

jukin on September 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM

clover_dave on September 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I am thinking India or Pakistan but schooled not in England but an English school.

TheSitRep on September 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Interesting interview!
*Interviewer’s score: ZERO %
*Interviewee score: 100%

Result: “Priceless”

McCain/Palin ought to be able to make a pretty good 60 second, effective ad out of that 9 minute disaster of an interview.

bucko36 on September 9, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Oh, damn. I like this. Dude gets in a last swipe at Repubs, but, wow, that was good.

Kat_Mo on September 9, 2008 at 6:37 PM

haha, they got a bit more than they bargained for.

Him calling the Democrats the party of war really got at them, lol

cyclosarin on September 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Wow…cranky old dude has a VERY LUCID MOMENT!! Nice!!!

Man, that lady’s accent is painful!

kcluva on September 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Well, apparently she from Afghanistan, but has benefited from an education in the United States, lives in California and seems to think that the war in Afghanistan is being waged on …Afghanistan….culled from about 30 seconds(all I could stand) from her bio page…

Gahh…

BigWyo on September 9, 2008 at 6:41 PM

I now have respect for Mike Gravel. To stand up for an adversary because of respect is unheard of on the left. Mike has shown he can think independently when the truth is required. Very rare in politics. Sarah has it too.

volsense on September 9, 2008 at 6:41 PM

no no no…
Pessimism meter:

10 = Highest pessimism
0 = Zero pessimism

This piece of news (along with everything else going on) just caused APs level of pessimism to DECLINE. If he saw Matlin kick the MSNBC achors tail a few minutes ago, it would probably be even lower.

CC

CapedConservative on September 9, 2008 at 6:43 PM

JudetheFossil on September 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM

You have to understand what is going on. The mcCain/Palin ticket has changed the race. Every poll is showing it. The battleground state polls are showing it too. OH is +7 for McCain, Pa is down to +2 for Obama when it was at +7 just last month. CO went Red in the last poll. The race has changed. that is fact.

Now that fact brings with it several bad things for BHO due to his decsions last month. One it will lower his ability to fund raise (no one wants to throw money at a loser) it will require BHO to fund raise more for the same outcome) It will also cause the GOTV effort to be under pressure. The higher in the polls McCain goes the lower voter turnout there will be for BHO. It will also cause more people to jump on the bandwagon for McCain/Palin.

So those are the facts. So to stop these things from occurring the dems/media must not let it appear that McCain has taken a commanding lead. The media after the backlash from last week can not appear to be directly in the tank for Obama can not show patently false polls either. So the polls from the left leaning Media ( CNN/Time/NBC from here on out will show a close race. Unless of course BHO gets a lead above the margin of error. then it will talk up those polls.

So I look for the NBC poll to show a dead heat, or maybe Obama up by one or two. Anything else will be laughed at as being partisian.

unseen on September 9, 2008 at 6:44 PM

You know you that are in a really bad way when Mike Gravel has a better grasp on reality than you do.

Wow.

ksm on September 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM

umm I just wanna say can we PLEASE have McCain make this a new ad?? omg i bet this sure isn’t going to help Michelle’s children

tee866 on September 9, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Pessimism meter reading: 9.85 6.1 and dropping like a stone.

Results are in… 1 pt. to Obama.

That’s kinda like almost having an erection, right Allah?

Damiano on September 9, 2008 at 6:51 PM