BBC poll: Planet Earth’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Obama

posted at 1:25 pm on September 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

Good news or bad news for McCain? As America’s critics abroad are forever reminding us, no one likes being told by foreigners what to do. And of course this plays into the Euro-elitist image the GOP likes to slap the Democrats with, which explains why The One didn’t get much mileage out of his address to the Teutonic masses in Berlin — or is it because every semi-sentient voter in America already realizes the world’s third-way socialists much prefer Lightworkers to old hawks growling about Iran? Ah well. Kerry naturally won this same poll by a huge margin four years ago and a fat lot of good it did him.

But 2008 ain’t 2004, needless to say.

All 22 countries covered in the poll would prefer to see Senator Obama elected US president ahead of Republican John McCain.

In 17 of the 22 nations, people expect relations between the US and the rest of the world to improve if Senator Obama wins…

The margin in favour of Senator Obama ranged from 9 per cent in India to 82 per cent in Kenya, while an average of 49 per cent across the 22 countries preferred Senator Obama compared with 12 per cent preferring Senator McCain. Some four in 10 did not take a view…

A similar BBC/Globescan poll conducted ahead of the 2004 U.S presidential election found that, of 35 countries polled, 30 would have preferred to see Democratic nominee John Kerry, rather than the incumbent George Bush, who was elected.

I know I’ve seen polls showing that Americans are concerned with the country’s image abroad but the best I could do after a bit of googling is this one from January taken by two nonprofits: “Overall, nearly nine in ten Americans (88 percent) believe that it is very important for other countries to have a favorable opinion of Americans. Women in particular (80 percent, as compared to 65 percent of men) are very or somewhat worried that the US is losing the trust and friendship of other countries.” Change consistently outpolls Experience as a desired commodity in the next president, too. Sarah Barracuda helps blunt Obama’s advantage on that, but this is the sort of thing that helps keep him in front. Four years ago, with Bush’s approval rating in the 50s and America still feeling defensive after 9/11, it was easy for independents to sneer at world opinion; after four more years of Iraq, I wonder if they’re still so inclined. (Says Gallup: Maybe!) Exit question one: To the extent anyone cares about this at all, how many hours will it be before it’s totally forgotten? 24? Six? Two? Exit question two: Given how other recent BBC world polls have gone, this almost amounts to a badge of honor, doesn’t it?

Comments

Dear the rest of Planet Earth,

TFB.

Love,
USA

Citizen Duck on September 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

citizen duck is being too kind in his response …

Buckaroo on September 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Hm. FWIW It seems your RSS is a bit off from published articles, AP. I managed to comment a full 9 minutes before this post is timestamped.

Citizen Duck on September 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Hmmm…

…India, Indonesia, Italy…

Surely an oversight. They really did ask those Jooos. It was an editing thing. That’s all.

Typhoon on September 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Russell Brand was correct.
Perhaps Barack can run for president of the world after he loses in a landside on November 5th.

carbon_footprint on September 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM

God invented the mute button for a reason.

Limerick on September 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM

I couldn’t care less who the rest of the world thinks would be better for OUR country.

Screw off.

nickj116 on September 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Badge of honor indeed AP.

Obama’s concession speech should be coming along shortly.

awake on September 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Oh, Gee, you guys can’t vote in OUR ELECTIONS – YOU IDIOTS.

Sucks to be them.

stenwin77 on September 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM

I say we let the world have him. America doesn’t really have any use for Obama.

BadgerHawk on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

As far as I’m concerned, they’re welcome to him.

Slublog on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

BadgerHawk on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Grrr…

Slublog on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I vote in favor of secession from Planet Earth.

trailboss on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Thank God, they cannot vote here.

[For now.]

coldwarrior on September 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

“on behalf of the terrorists, Iran, and Ruskies… please America, please, please, please elect Barack Obama”

El_Terrible on September 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Can we just give them Obama as Pres. of the EU instead of ours?

tee866 on September 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Could we get all these people to start writing letters and sending them to independent voters like the Guardian did in 2004?? That really help put Bush ovah the top.

Illinidiva on September 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM

What a bunch of racist nativists!

Tengripundit on September 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM

From the Obama-Constitution thread…..

I nominate Barack Hussein Obama for the Presidency of the United Federation of Planets.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM

The USA was a maverick nation when it was founded, and some of us wish to keep it that way.

Obama would like to be all things to all people, except Americans.

Hening on September 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM

The BBC? That’s like going into the middle of the DNC crowd and taking a pole.
The only reason I go to the BBC is for a good laugh. Especially their HYS section, talk about your wankers.

Geronimo on September 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I guess Barry passed John Kerry’s global test.

moxie_neanderthal on September 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I don’t think I’ll be able to find it, but Patterico linked to a poll of the UK that showed how overwhelmingly ignorant Europeans are about even the basest goings-on in the US. I think like 70% thought that polygamy was legal in the US.

TFB, indeed, Citizen Duck.

jimmy the notable on September 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Badge of honor indeed AP.
Obama’s concession speech should be coming along shortly.
awake on September 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM

If they love him so much then maybe they need to elect him to their highest office. And speaking of which, did anyone notice that Bill Clinton is still not president of the UN yet? How sad.

wise_man on September 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Barack’s half brother is hoping to get an extra $12 a year from The Obamassiah.

I’d give it about — ooh shiny object. OK, what were we talking about? Oh yes, it does look like Aaron Rodgers will be a decent quarterback, the Packers probably won’t miss Farve, who could lead the Jets to the division now that Tom Brady’s done for the year.

rbj on September 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM

When the rest of ‘planet earth’ pays my city, state, fed. taxes and all my insurance, food bill, etc. then I will take what they have to add to our elections and who I should vote for.
L

letget on September 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Gee, think that the world is jealous of the USA? You could come to that conclusion (and the fact that everyone wants in here).

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Grrr…

Slublog on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

lolz. I even typed a second sentence.

BadgerHawk on September 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Can we just give them Obama as Pres. of the EU instead of ours?

tee866 on September 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Maybe we could drop O into an Italian volcano, an appeasement to the gods of appeasement.

trailboss on September 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I think McCain should offer to appoint Obama as UN ambassador. It’s the perfect venue for him.

Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Hmmm… why does this poll not surprise me. Oh, I know! Because the rest of the world knows that their leaders will roll Obama over without him even knowing it.

McCain, on the other hand, will do what’s right for our “Country First”.

Damiano on September 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

And an even more important result for deciphering the morons that were polled, VENEZUELA was viewed EVENLY. I-fucking-Ran was viewed more positively than DEMOCRATIC Israel. Give me a break. This poll is, as they say in the UK, bollocks.

jimmy the notable on September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

As soon as the next batch of Gallup or Rasmussen polls come out that show Maverick and Arctix Fox continuing to climb in popularity.

My own exit question: Am I the only one who answers these exit questions?

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

If the rest of the world loves Obama so much, they can have him.

Shipping to be arranged later.

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I say we let the world have him. America doesn’t really have any use for Obama.

BadgerHawk on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

As far as I’m concerned, they’re welcome to him.

Slublog on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

+1,000

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on September 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Thanks…your endorsement has blue collar workers who are losing their jobs to globalization “seeing red”.

“keep firing”

sven10077 on September 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM

My own exit question: Am I the only one who answers these exit questions?

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

ManlyRash Exit Answer: Pretty much.

BadgerHawk on September 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Meaningless exit question: Aren’t exit questions rhetorical?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Here’s that poll, from Telegraph.co.uk,
British anti-Americanism ‘based on misconceptions’

jimmy the notable on September 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Awesomely awesome!

At least Obama knows he can win in Europe!

Note to Obama, when does the Obama Express depart from the airport?

TheHat on September 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Tengripundit on September 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM —

That number for India is significant. They became independent in 1947, and adopted their Constitution in 1949. It is the only Constitution they have had. It is, like ours, the Supreme law of the land. They understand democracy and representational governance. They may get a bit sloppy from time to time, but they are a work in progress, just as we are. They also appreciate a stable United States.

That Kenya number? Yes, there’s a good bit of Obama-love attached. But they change constitutions just about every time they change presidents. And from once being one of the most successful nations on the African continent they have become just another sub-saharan basket case.

coldwarrior on September 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Now I have another reason to vote McCain.

davenp35 on September 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Thank God, they cannot vote here.

[For now.]

coldwarrior on September 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

According to 71% of Obama supporters, their opinions count for more than the words of the constitution when deciding court cases.

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:38 PM

My own exit question: Am I the only one who answers these exit questions?

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Dear the rest of Planet Earth,

TFB. FOAD

Love,
USA

Citizen Duck on September 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

fixed it for ya

pseudonominus on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

jimmy the notable on September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Oops, I was responding to that BBC poll that AP linked to at the end. It does do a great job showing how stupid the rest of the world is.

jimmy the notable on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

ManlyRash Exit Answer: Pretty much. – BadgerHawk on September 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM

*sighs* Alone at the prom dance. Dang.

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

The Euros like Baracky because they can laud their racial acceptance while doing their best to keep their own government leaders as white as possible.

Paraphrasing Sarah Palin: “We’re not going to elect someone to seek your good opinion”.

Bishop on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Memo to the rest of the world:

Please forgive me if I suddenly decide not to give a s*** what you think.

Pcoop on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Sorry for the distraction, but this had to be posted here:

Latest news from As the Democratic Party Turns:

Rev. Jeremiah Wright Has Affair With Another Man’s Wife

You just can’t make this stuff up. Bonus prize in the story:

According to Payne’s estranged husband, Fred Payne, 64, Wright e-mailed Elizabeth Payne and told her he was going to leave his wife, Ramah, for her.

Wright married Ramah more than 20 years ago after he unsuccessfully provided marriage counseling for her and her former husband.

*pause*

BWWWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Damiano on September 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM

No. Other fools do as well. I have several times. See? I just answered yours. Exist question: Why do I keep doing this? – Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Exit answer: b/c you and I are fools for Allah?

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM

All the citizen in those 22 countries have something else in common too. They don’t get a vote.

Maxx on September 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Poll? What poll?

Right_of_Attila on September 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

BBC poll: Planet Earth’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Obama

Well, let’s get the global Tylenol out so this fee-vah will break.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Meaningless exit question: Aren’t exit questions rhetorical? – Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Sometimes. Other times I believe Allah seriously wants to get the pulse of his readers on things that concern him. I could be wrong.

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Good, they can stay in their own God-forsaken countries and leave us alone.

robblefarian on September 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM

The BBC? That’s like going into the middle of the DNC crowd and taking a pole.

The only reason I would take a pole into a crowd like that was if I wanted to whack a few heads.

Perhaps you meant a poll?

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Remember in ’04 when the lefty Europeans were whining that they should be able to vote in US elections too, since the US has such great effect on global politics and economy?

Expect more of the same, along with anti-American caterwauling when Obama loses.

Hollowpoint on September 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

*pause*

BWWWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Damiano on September 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM

er uh uhm “we are all flawed and I thre him under the bus as was always my position….”

sven10077 on September 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

When Obambi gets clobbered in the majors (US) in Nov, we will be glad to send him down to the farm team (rest of the world) as a starter. :)

poxoma on September 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Can we just give them Obama as Pres. of the EU instead of ours?

tee866 on September 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Well, by some interpretations of British Law, he could run as a Brit…

Kenya was not a country when he was born, his father was a citizen of the Commonwealth… and thus Barry can claim British citizenship unless he has specificly rejected it in writing…

So, he could go claim Brit Citizenship, and run for Pres of the EU…

Romeo13 on September 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

The world likes Obama because they see an easily-dominated fluff of a man, someone who will spend his entire tenure kowtowing to every strident foreign voice he hears.

Bishop on September 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

France (and let’s just apply it to the rest of the world):

They’re there when they need us.

Vatican Watcher on September 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Can anyone tell me if the libs swoon at this kind of news. I have been engaged in a little experiment over the last ten days in the fever swamps and I simply can’t go back in to check.

Mormon Doc on September 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Just checked my guilt meter. E.

mymanpotsandpans on September 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM

When a crab nears the top of the bucket to escape, the other crabs try to pull it down.
The world wants BO to win so we will descend to their level.

jgapinoy on September 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM

When foreigners say Barack will improve relations with their countries, what they mean is:

1. Bring socialism to America
2. Weaken America economically, culturally, politically, militarily
3. Barack will acquiesce to foreign desires (taxing internet sales in favor of UN coffers, Taxing airfare in favor of UN Coffers, etc)
4. Barack will apologize to the world for America’s success

Nothing in history—nothing, points to any success born from a policy of popularity.

World diplomacy is not a popularity contest, it’s not a cell phone vote for the next World Idol.

Anyone who promises to reduce America in any way will be immediately popular with the many failed nation states–especially those in Europe who, when they had power, squandered it and slaughtered millions in the process.

Montana on September 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM

US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama may be struggling to nudge ahead of his Republican rival in polls at home, but people across the world want him in the White House, a BBC poll said.

I read that and said “Great, now I’ll vote for Obama”.

Money in your retirement kitty.

My favorite Guardian, and hopefully BBC headline will be “How can 65+ million Americans be this stupid”.

Keep this up elitist and erudite foreigners. The American rubes will repay you, mightily.

Entelechy on September 9, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Sorry to O/T
If there are any TX here and don’t have a great site for storms, Ike, might want to look at…stormpulse.com.
We live near Corpus and have sent this to all I know on the coast.
L

letget on September 9, 2008 at 1:48 PM

They like American sucker politicians that are big spenders. That way, they don’t need to spend near as much of their money. That is a good thing for them because they are socialists, and aint got no money anymore anyhow.

saiga on September 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Dear the rest of Planet Earth,

TFB. FOAD

Love,
USA

Citizen Duck on September 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

fixed it for ya

pseudonominus on September 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Beat me to it.

NoFanofLibs on September 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Montana on September 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Great list Montana, but the number one reason of an Obama presidency is to make them somewhat more relevant, while dragging America down to level.

It ain’t going to happen.

Entelechy on September 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Exit answer: b/c you and I are fools for Allah?

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I don’t care everybody else says, at least Allahpundit is inciteful.

Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Oh, Gee, you guys can’t vote in OUR ELECTIONS – YOU IDIOTS.

Sucks to be them.

stenwin77 on September 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM

ACORN, a friend of Uh-bam-uh, is trying to change that behind the scenes.

Montana on September 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Well he is a ‘citizen of the world’.

lodge on September 9, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Montana on September 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Good Point… I bet the Gauls, and Huns, wanted a really weak Ceaser too…

Romeo13 on September 9, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I don’t care everybody else says, at least Allahpundit is inciteful. – Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Be gentle with him. This is an especially rough patch, because nothing seems to be going wrong. He must be strung out on tranquilizers.

ManlyRash on September 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM

It ain’t going to happen.

Entelechy on September 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Good point. They are desperate for relevancy. They just refuse to do what is needed to be relevant. Instead, they form committees.

Montana on September 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM

So, he could go claim Brit Citizenship, and run for Pres of the EU…

Romeo13 on September 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Be carefull, you might start up the dual citizenship brigades again.

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM

82%in Kenya?? It’s obvious they don’t have all of the “racists” we have here in the U.S.

Star20 on September 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I don’t care everybody else says, at least Allahpundit is inciteful playful.

Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Entelechy on September 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Hopefully McCain will hold true to his comment at the convention…where if they don’t like us, they won’t get anymore of our money. They’re scared of that. That’s why they want Obama

LakeRacer on September 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Hussein-Biten, the world’s dynamic duo, seems to be losing favor with voting Americans. Too bad dead Euro-marxists aren’t allowed to vote.

saved on September 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

at least Allahpundit is inciteful.

Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Allah gets us to riot?

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Yeah, I look at the rest of the world, and then I look at this country and I think, “Gee, I wish we could be just like Kenya!”, or “Wow, wouldn’t it be great to be just like Iran?”
No wonder they want B.O., because he’ll make us just like them!

I mean, anyone wonder what that statue we have in the middle of New York harbor of the lady holding up the torch is really all about?

pilamaye on September 9, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Perhaps you meant a poll?

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Hahaa, that I did. Good catch, but as you were saying, the thought of taking an actual “pole” into the middle of the DNC, well, it’s food for fantasy.

Geronimo on September 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Seeing how half the world outside America wants global socialism to be the law of the land, while the other half wants global Islamic caliphate, and neither faction would want me to be armed, I’m going with “Thanks, but NFW!”

Bruce in NH on September 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I don’t care everybody else says, at least Allahpundit is inciteful playful.

Loxodonta on September 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Entelechy on September 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Now I get it, Allah is a riot.

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Maybe all those ‘friendly’ countries will open their doors/arms when McCain/Palin win, and the leftie exodus ensues.

Note to self – they’re just talking about it; quit wishing; they’ll be right here, with forks in hand, calling you dumb.

Entelechy on September 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM

How did BBC assess Planet Earth’s fee-vah for Obama?

Did they use a global rectal thermometer?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Now I get it, Allah is a riot.

MarkTheGreat on September 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM

No wonder you call yourself MarkTheGreat :)

He sure is. The wit of the blogs.

Entelechy on September 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM

The “rest of the world” pretty much boils down to this: countries we’ve saved from tyranny, countries whose tyrants we have deposed or defeated, and countries who will find themselves in one of those categories eventually.

Akzed on September 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Everybody now SING!!!!!

We are the world, we are the children (chorus) We are the ones who make a brighter day so let’s start giving (chorus) There’s a choice we’re making, we’re saving our own lives (chorus) It’s true we’ll make a better day, just you and me (chorus. LA LA LA LA LA GAACK.

sdd on September 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I’m sure Barry would be more than happy to run for office over seas, after he loses here.

Conservative_SAHM on September 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Of course the Europeans want Obama to win, so he can mess up OUR economy, and they can get the jobs we lose. Meanwhile, THEY vote for conservatives like Sarkozy, Merkel, and Berlusconi to fix THEIR economies!

“To the north (Europe), I give you Barack, the Socialist. To the (Middle) East, I give you Hussein, the Appeaser. To the south, I give you Obama, the Kenyan Brother. To the West (America), I give you Sarah the Manificent.”

–Aslan, circa 2008.

Steve Z on September 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM

What’s the difference between the BBC and the American MSM and or Al Jazeera; nothing…(from powerline) A highly knowledgeable source writes to comment on “Not just the most liberal senator.” He writes:

It would be nice if the press would bring just one reporter back from Alaska to look into Senator Obama’s legislative claims. If you’ll bear with me, I think a few details on “signature” Lugar-Obama legislation bear fleshing out because The One is being an out-and-out fabulist.

In one of Obama’s television ads, and in countless press interviews, Obama claims that he “reach[ed] out to Senator Lugar…to help lock down loose nuclear weapons.” Not true.

A little background::

The Soviet-Nuclear Threat Reduction Act passed in 1991(!) and was signed by George H.W. Bush. It was renamed the Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction ACT in 1993. It was meant to secure Russia’s nuclear stockpile and to help pay for eliminating Russia’s excess strategic weapons. By the time that Obama entered the Senate the legislation had mostly accomplished its main goals (securing Soviet nuclear warheads and destroying delivery systems). In fact, Russia had long since begun building new nuclear weapons and delivery systems.

What Obama’s legislation did was extend and amend this already wildly successful legislation. But the real substance of amendment had nothing to do with nuclear weapons. Just the opposite. The new authorities in Obama’s amendment dealt only with conventional weapons.

Here are his amendments to section 11 of the State Department Authorization Act of 2006:

(a) In General- The Secretary of State is authorized to secure, remove, or eliminate stocks of man-portable air defense systems (MANPADS), small arms and light weapons, stockpiled munitions, abandoned ordnance, and other conventional weapons, including tactical missile systems (hereafter in this section referred to as ‘MANPADS and other conventional weapons’), as well as related equipment and facilities, located outside the United States that are determined by the Secretary to pose a proliferation threat.

And Section 12:

a) Statement of Policy – Congress declares that it should be the policy of the United States to hold foreign governments accountable for knowingly transferring MANPADS to state-sponsors of terrorism or terrorist organizations.

This amendment didn’t start any work on securing nukes, nor did it finish it. It doesn’t even mention nuclear weapons. In fact, you could argue that it diverted us from securing “loose nukes.”

And look at that Section 12 statement of policy, again. It’s vintage Obamian bunny rabbits and rainbows. Keep in mind that the largest manufacturer of MANPADS is Russia. And the country that most often transfers them to terrorists is Iran. Just how did Obama want to “hold them accountable”? Tickle them to death? Write them a very nasty letter? He doesn’t say.

This legislation that Obama claims as his own was couched in the annual State Department Authorization…he wasn’t even a cosponsor of that larger bill. His amendment had been folded into the larger authorization much earlier (yes, by unanimous consent).

But we can actually take this one step further. After the bill’s passage, the US went on a worldwide hunt to buy up MANPADs. Unable to get the MANPADs out of the hands of real enemies, we twisted the arms of allies to give up air defense stockpiles we deemed superfluous. One of the easiest targets? Georgia. We browbeat Georgia into giving us its MANPAD stockpile, which was their only air defense. We all know the rest of the story. Georgia was smart enough to go buy a few new MANPADs from places like Poland (against our loud protestations), but when Russia invaded last month they didn’t have nearly enough to protect themselves against Russia’s onslaught.

Obama shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this.

It’s too bad the big boys at the Washington Post can’t be bothered to look seriously into Obama’s tall tales of bipartisan accomplishment. You’d think this story might be up their alley. Unfortuntately, they’re busy at the moment checking up on Governor Palin’s per diem as governor of Alaska.

Add the BBC to this list.

Keemo on September 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Let’s see … the BBC reporting comes from where? Oh, that’s right, the big bad country that got it’s butt kicked by a small group of ragtag revolutionists.

When will the great “They” realize that America really doesn’t give a damn what anyone thinks. C’mon, you’re ruled by a Queen! You’re just jealous because your post-menopausal, budget-sucking, powdernose wouldn’t even know how to load a rifle.

theRealMcCoy on September 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM

FTW!!!

What have they done for us lately?

NTWR on September 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM

As far as I’m concerned, they’re welcome to him.

Slublog on September 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I’ll even chip in for a portable teleprompter for him to bring along.

Hollowpoint on September 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM