Palin on VP in February: “I can’t imagine that happening”

posted at 3:49 pm on September 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via the Moderate Voice, 25 minutes with a politician no one had ever heard of until two weeks ago, except of course for the entire right-wing punditsphere. It’s a sign of how stupidly the left has lowered expectations for her that even I found myself thinking as I watched this, “Why, she’s not like Cletus the slackjawed yokel at all.” Well played, media.

Most of it has to do with ethics and energy policy, so if you’re not in the mood for that, skip ahead to 6:25 of the second clip for a prescient McCain-related hypothetical. She’s appropriately modest, but note this bit from the NYT’s Trig puff piece this morning:

In mid-April, Ms. Palin and her husband flew to Texas for an energy conference with fellow Republican governors. Days before, Ms. Palin, a little-known governor from a faraway state, was asked to speak to her peers…

Ms. Palin marched through the day. At a news conference, a reporter asked the six Republican governors present to raise their hands if they would refuse to serve as Mr. McCain’s vice-presidential nominee. Ms. Palin was one of two who kept their hands down.

Patronize her at your peril, warns a guy not normally known for worrying about that sort of thing.

Comments

All class…..

she is humble, driven, and just killed the “she was stupid about the role” meme…..

sven10077 on September 8, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I, for one, refuse to wear the polar bear pin on my lapel.
She is awesome.

carbon_footprint on September 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Ah, sven – since you’re here, you need to change the “Keep Firing” to “Keep Firing, A**holes” in honor of Dark Helmet from Spaceballs. Just imagine Wolf Blitzer instead of Rick Moranis in the Helmet.

fiatboomer on September 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Check out 1:10 on clip #3 when a Hillary voter calls in to praise Palin. This is from back in February. Very interesting and don’t doubt that the McCain camp has seen this clip and the MSM were caught flat-footed.

PackerBronco on September 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Which level is the old Despair-o-Meter™ set to today, Allah?

ManlyRash on September 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

You know in some ways, she’s sorta the proverbial pit bull in pearls. Since she doesn’t fit the DC frame of reference about what an ambitious female politician should look like (one or two kids for the family photo-op thing but 5? Nobody that has that many kids is serious about politics) she is underestimated in the same way that New Yorkers automatically deduct 50 points from one’s IQ for having a Southern accent or evangelicals are automatically chalked up to the likes of faux-Christians like Swaggart and Huckabee.

In the dirty world of national politics, it is good to be underestimated.

highhopes on September 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

fiatboomer on September 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

will consider….Im trying to stay PG as opposed to PG-13

;)

sven10077 on September 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Minor nitpick, Allah, but was it you or the article you quoted that keeps referring to her as “Ms.” Palin (rather than “Mrs.” or “Governor”)? Even in the same sentence as “and her husband”? Irks me, just a tad… apologies for the Grammar Nazi moment, I know I’m hardly one to speak.

Elsewise, bravo.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on September 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM

will consider….Im trying to stay PG as opposed to PG-13

;)

sven10077 on September 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Ah, Simpsons-rated. OK. :>

fiatboomer on September 8, 2008 at 4:00 PM

when they show her on TV, I kinda stare dreamily at her and not really hear what she says.. :)

DaveC on September 8, 2008 at 4:00 PM

This will be very difficult for exactly the reason that you stated: she has to be perfect, and nobody is. One example is from the link to slate.com: she had a great answer about “one nation under God”, saying that if it was good enough for the founding fathers, it was good enough for her. I’m not a slack-jawed yokel either, and like her, I didn’t know that the phrase was inserted in the 50′s.

lionheart on September 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Check out 1:10 on clip #3 when a Hillary voter calls in to praise Palin.

My God! Doesn’t the MSM have the seven-second delay button precisely to prevent this kind of leakage onto the airwaves?

highhopes on September 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM

PackerBronco on September 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Absolutely right. That caller was right when she said that Palin would be the biggest danger to a Dem ticket.

BrianBoru on September 8, 2008 at 4:03 PM

How in the world did this woman not understand the freddie mac/fannie mae deal?

She’s gonna’ get shredded over that little woopsie.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM

lionheart on September 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I have no idea whether Gov Palin knew it, but, as pointed out by others, the phrase “under God” was used among the Founders, just not in a Pledge of Allegiance.

CK MacLeod on September 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM

How in the world did this woman not understand the freddie mac/fannie mae deal?

She’s gonna’ get shredded over that little woopsie.

How is it a whoopsie? They’re facing a multi-billion bailout by the taxpayers, and even before this summer they both had a $25 bil credit line with the federal gov… paid for by the taxpayer.

Pasalubong on September 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM

I dont see any uh uh uh uh

excellent. another good thing is that her hotness and her composure are so distracting people will jut fall in love with her.

lodge on September 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM

This woman is awesome!!!
A breath of freash air in a nation, that has too long been subjected to and controlled by, good old boy” politics.
“Go get them Sarah, put on your gloves”. I’m with you all the way to the Whitehouse.

bucko36 on September 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM

sign of desperation the libtards are using the Fannie/Freddie comment against her

jp on September 8, 2008 at 4:10 PM

And Biden specifically denied being vetted until like a week before Obama announced him.

Jim Treacher on September 8, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Even you?

You who seems to breathlessly be awaiting the “game over” moment when she’s revealed to the world as a hollow shell?

Even that you?

I guess that’s my problem with your pessimism, AP. When I first read about Palin and became aware of her, I went and searched online for information, and the more I found, the more I liked. There’s plenty out there. And there’s plenty to show that in interviews and in debates, she is a presence, and one formidable person.

I’d seen all that and was aware of all that before, I wanted her as VP. Not after.

The only thing I never found was her giving a speech, so on that score I was hoping she’d be acceptable.

I think she proved my hope was well founded.

But the thing is, either anyone who was supporting her all along truly believed she was up to the task, or they only thought she’d be a stunt.

I think she’s up to the job. I don’t think she’s a stunt. I hardly need to watch this to confirm a belief I already had.

Typhoon on September 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM

This woman has some sort of supernatural power to make me smile after listening to her for just one minute.

MadisonConservative on September 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Well, since she accomplished Goal # 1 in lightening quick speed she was able to answer his question with an emphatic, “Yes.”

Editor on September 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Hey AP, Barry is just asking for it…

Lulz, every conservative blogger must pile on this

ninjapirate on September 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Check the story about her gaffe on the front page. She thought they were taxpayer funded entities all along.

Basic fundamental understanding of the problem and bailout seems to be lacking a bit.

That’s trouble.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

This is Obama’s worst nightmare…….. An intellectual, experienced, informed, patriotic, engaged, non-brain washed, independent, spot on American citizen…… who is actually running for the Vice Presidency of the United States.

She reminds me of my second crush, someone I would have no problem of watching my children, covering me while I reload, or running this country.

“Hey, Barak………………. is that sweat from having to actually earn the job, or panic because it is not going to be handed to you?”

Seven Percent Solution on September 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

How in the world did this woman not understand the freddie mac/fannie mae deal?

She’s gonna’ get shredded over that little woopsie.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Not at all. In fact, it offers the opportunity to explain just how it is too expensive for taxpayers to subsidize, when it all goes to hell. Might even throw in a shot or two about Jim Johnson’s bonuses and cooked books while she’s explaining it. A net positive,..if communication about issues is really what they want. Dialogue, baby, dialogue.

a capella on September 8, 2008 at 4:14 PM

That’s trouble.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

You couldn’t be bothered to jump in the mosh pit of comments there?

fiatboomer on September 8, 2008 at 4:14 PM

the GSE that overseas them and allows the corruption of Fannie and Freddie is Govt. Tax Payer funded

jp on September 8, 2008 at 4:15 PM

That’s trouble.

Not at all; she’s right. The profits are private but the risks are socialized. Fan and Fred are and have alway been a private/public hybrid behemoth; her point is it’s to the point it’s too egregiously punishing to the taxpayers (re: the $100 billion bailout).

Pasalubong on September 8, 2008 at 4:16 PM

ummm, polar bears, good to eat.

The liberal temples of styrofoam are being crushed daily.

tarpon on September 8, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Mrs. Palin will make an outstanding president in ’12 or ’16. The more I hear her speak, the more I like her.

Liberals and marxists: be healed and converted!

saved on September 8, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I think 5:00 on the second clip is the one that caught McCain’s attention (along with many other fine comments).
That will be replayed in an ad showing she was an agent of change and desirous of serving the people.
She has a strong command of energy and he last minute on #3 was a real pitch for a governor on the ticket.
Good luck Biden…you’re going to need it.

right2bright on September 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Thank you! As an evangelical, I always love it when I see others also not falling for the “Christian” Huckabeen! Now that I think of it, Huckabeen really is bad enough to be put in the Swaggart category!

highhopes on September 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Shelby on September 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM

How in the world did this woman not understand the freddie mac/fannie mae deal?

She’s gonna’ get shredded over that little woopsie.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Why don’t you explain it to us, including what caused it in the first place?

cgoode777……… we are waiting……..

Seven Percent Solution on September 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Mmm .. that’s not quite what I’m getting from her quote .. but I hope that explanation will keep the attack dogs somewhat at bay.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM

This interview would draw more voters than any campaign ad by the McCain team.

And by the way: did you notice what she didn’t say? No “uh”‘s!!

evenfarer on September 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM

re: the $100 billion bailout).

Pasalubong on September 8, 2008 at 4:16 PM

$3 Trillion Dollar bailout…………… thank you Democrats.

Seven Percent Solution on September 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM

somebody keeps posting this at the Politico link

Obama = One Billion in earmarks McCain = Zero in earmarks

haha

jp on September 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Elsewise, bravo.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on September 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I’ve been scratching my head over that one, too. I remember hearing it, and wondering if they were getting things confused with one of her daughters (to whom “Ms. Palin” would actually refer).
Another sign of disrespect?

Count to 10 on September 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM

That’s trouble.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Better hear what she has to say again…this boondogle will cost the taxpayer plenty of money. Meanwhile two ex heads of Fannie and Freddie are heading up Obama economic team…ouch for Obama, how quick does he dump these guys. So much for him surrounding himself with “experts”.

right2bright on September 8, 2008 at 4:22 PM

I guess I thought it was a gaffe for the same reason it’s called a gaffe on the front page of this site.

That said, I hope that roundabout kinda’ explanation will work.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM

wow….state rights…local gov control….send the money to local governments and let them spend it how they see fit..energy independence…reform government…she already had my vote now she is starting to have my love.

unseen on September 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM

How in the world did this woman not understand the freddie mac/fannie mae deal?

She’s gonna’ get shredded over that little woopsie.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM

1) George Bush holds the door key to FM/FM now

2) both always had federal bailout deals….

Sarah was correct.

sven10077 on September 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Wrong. She can be forgiven for thinking of the risks to which taxpayers have long been exposed by FNMA and FHLMC as “costs,” since many members of Congress, and OFHEO itself, think of them the same way.

Look up the transcripts from the last few years of Congressional testimony by the head of OFHEO. If there weren’t a potential cost to taxpayers, why all the agita?

DrSteve on September 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM

What a great interview. She is a natural.

jencab on September 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM

She is so clear.

She knows the issues and can elaberate not only the information but also take a stand and doesn’t hedge or waffle.

Look out Obama bin Biden, y’all are “scaaa rewed”!

TheSitRep on September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

The hypocrisy from the left is as sweet/thick as molasses.

Obama on Palin: ‘You can’t just reinvent yourself’

This from the guy who’s changed every single position he ran on, so far.

Entelechy on September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

That’s trouble.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Get your facts striaght before you start posting dem talking points. she did not say that She said that the insistutions have got too big and too expensive for the taxpayers. which part of that is untrue? Idiot dems don’t even know what they are talking about. Palin will destroy the dems on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Believe me the dirt on the democratic corruption running in these two companies from the dem congress will destroy the entire majority of the dems. The dems do not want to go down this road…

unseen on September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

And btw they’re exempt from State and local taxes too — don’t Democrats usually consider that a “cost to taxpayers?”

DrSteve on September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

RE: lionheart on September 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM
I didn’t know that the phrase was inserted in the 50’s.

I stood beside my schooldesk and recited it daily during the time the pledge was changed and had forgotten that it did change. Maybe that makes me a slackjawed Cletus.

BadDogMN on September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Not too bad for a country rube, eh?

JimK on September 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Welcome Madam Vice President:
I can just imagine that the Obama campaign has seen this video over and over again. I’ll bet you that when they first saw it they said “WOW SURE GLAD SHE IS NOT HIS PICK”, now they are trembling and are now afraid of the interviews and debates as she handles this as if she has been doing interviews for years. Notice she nevers stops smiling and has a confidence and coolness about her that can’t be taught, but is a gift.
She sure makes me PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!

amex on September 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Palin is not an intellectual. She is smart, clever, personable, and incapable of enjoying the sound of jaded pronouncements of the hopelessness of the human condition issuing ad infinitum from her mouth.

Hitchens is an intellectual. Smarter than most of that lot by a good bit, but can you imagine Palin delivering a Hitchens rant? It would sound like Kerry trying to call a square dance.

Immolate on September 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Not too bad for a country rube, eh?

JimK on September 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM

She made Obama look stupid…Notice she did not have any um, um um’s in 30 minutes. she back in your faces answers except for the VP question which i think she dodged better than most.

unseen on September 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Do the Dems really want to have a debate about the federal government’s involvement with FM/FM and the bill that is going to be placed on the back of the taxpayers? I would tread down that road really carefully if I were the Dems. There’s some issues there that will bite Obama in the ass, while leaving McCain pretty clean.

Oh, and that wasn’t a gaffe by Palin. Nice try though.

PackerBronco on September 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM

The mass hysteria over Sarah (I’m guilty) has a LOT to do with Obama fatigue, Hillary fatigue, McCain fatigue. Who knew that this exciting, fresh, down-to-earth even existed (well, I did but most did not)?

When she came on the scene, it truly was a breath of fresh political air. The more the big zer-O and Hillary try to get their seen-too-much faces on tv, the more bored we are with them.

I’m not saying she isn’t worthy of the attention or the position – I’ve been pushing for her to be picked for months- I just think this somewhat explains the amazing bump in popularity.

Can I just thank John McCain for this brilliant choice.

stenwin77 on September 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Obama on Palin: ‘You can’t just reinvent yourself’

This from the guy who’s changed every single position he ran on, so far.

Entelechy on September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

HAHA! If there is one thing bho (and his wife, if i might add) have tried to do during this campaign then it is to reinvent themselves!

evenfarer on September 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM

That’s trouble.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Context people…

3/4 of the people here just defended Obama’s apparent Muslim gaffe yesterday, since in context, it’s clear that it’s not really a gaffe at all.

All the nay sayers are taking one line of a brief speech and making it into an encyclopedia of ignorance. I call BS.

Fannie & Freddy just mound Federal taxpayer cash so high that even Obama’s bus could not run it over. We can also see that these organizations are so fundamentally inept and corrupt that “taxpayers cannot afford” to keep dumping money into this pit without accountability. The Fed is now sole shareholder and they are replacing inept management with someone who can add.

Damiano on September 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM

The mass hysteria over Sarah (I’m guilty) has a LOT to do with Obama fatigue,

True enough and if you running a campaign based on the theme of “change” it’s a bit unsettling when people are starting to get tired of listening to you. Campaign seasons are so long that Obama is starting to look like an incumbent.

PackerBronco on September 8, 2008 at 4:46 PM

“The American people aren’t stupid,” -Hussein.

Someone should pin that on his back.

Akzed on September 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I think Sarah Palin is a great communicator. :)

jjjen on September 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Governor Palin looks and sounds like an adult. No wonder the Left are scared of her.

SlimyBill on September 8, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Obama on Palin: ‘You can’t just reinvent yourself’

This from the guy who’s changed every single position he ran on, so far.

Entelechy on September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

McCain and Palin can both point to actions they have taken to bring about real reform. Obama has no record of fighting for reform and when asked to point to something, he cites a Senate ethics bill he signed onto — a bill that was so tame it was passed without a single dissenting vote (you’re a real profile in courage, Obama).

Obama has never taken any political risks to bring about reform, and his record proves he’s not really interested in reform — because he’s been benefitting too much from the present corrupt system. Obama has only been in the U.S. Senate 3 years, but he’s already requested $940 Million in earmarks (including a million dollar earmark for his own wife’s employer).

McCain and Palin aren’t the ones who need to “reinvent” themselves in order to call themselves reformers — Obama is.

AZCoyote on September 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Somewhere…..The Gipper is smiling……..

FiveWays on September 8, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Great interview.

Palin for President.

Drum on September 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Wow, she really blew that CSPAN interview, didn’t she. Not sure I want her taking direct, un-telepromptered questions from reporters.
/s

What a lady…what a lawmaker…what a wonderful pick!

hoosiermama on September 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM

She’s such a palate-cleanser. All that competence makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

spmat on September 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Hey .. don’t get me wrong .. I’m still a full-throated supporter of our girl with the sparkly eyes ..

Just looked like a goof to me when I read the quote. Not saying you guys are wrong .. maybe that is what she was thinking .. didn’t look that way to me though. They’re gonna’ paste that next to her “gee, no one’s ever really explained to me what a VP does” thing and run with it.

I’m doubting there’ll be too much damage done .. the public seems to have had enough of the attacks on her and her family.

I do hope that all this frenzy won’t follow the same path as Obama’s throngs and the fatigue that seems to be setting in.

“The American people aren’t stupid,” -Hussein.

Someone should pin that on his back.

Akzed on September 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM

That’s some funny sh*t right there.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Get your facts striaght [sic] before you start posting dem talking points.

So are those who run this site ill-informed and also posting dem talking points when they call it a “gaffe” on their front page?

Don’t bother replying, I already know the answer.

Gonna’ go get something to eat. Morons always make me hungry for some reason.

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Really, who is that woman in the interviews? It can’t possibly be Palin because she is secure in the bubble to make sure she doesn’t say sumthin’ dumb and unintelligable like, bein’ the moose eatin’ hick she is. This must be some impersonator, because the real Sarah Palin does not talk to the media or have any knowledge of worldly stuff.

I am Obama/Biden/MSNBC/CNN/HuffPo/Kos/Dum and I support this message.

Spectreman on September 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM

There is absolutely nothing here… this is what any shortlister says when asked on TV. And it’s at least more honest than Joe “I’m not your guy” Biden, no?

RightWinged on September 8, 2008 at 5:40 PM

RightWinged on September 8, 2008 at 5:40 PM

No. Er .. yes. I mean, yes, I agree with you there. <– gaffe

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Wasilla Assembly of God

Check that out AllahPundit. Awesome witness to God for the next VP!

kirkill on September 8, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Looks like she can answer questions on the fly to me! Go, Sarah*merica !

eucher on September 8, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Thanks AP for posting these. I hope that McCain/Palin wins and we get to see what she can do with an Energy Policy. She seems to have a good handle on all things energy.

I’m still trying to piece the timeline together in my head about the baby announcement. She got pretty coy when he asked her if there was any trivia she wanted to talk about. She seemed relieved when it was obvious it was not heading in that direction.

As McCain keeps saying, we are all flawed and make mistakes, but she seems like a good person, quick study, and good moral compass (ok, I stole that last one).

Mr_Magoo on September 8, 2008 at 9:24 PM

No. Er .. yes. I mean, yes, I agree with you there. <– gaffe

cgoode777 on September 8, 2008 at 5:52 PM

No surprisingly, Alan Colmes calls that a thoughtful, measured response.

Mr_Magoo on September 8, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Hitchens wrote,

Walter Dean Burnham, one of the country’s pre-eminent Marxists, used to attract ridicule back in the 1960s and ’70s by saying that Ronald Reagan would one day be president.

Heck, I remember when Laugh-In would do their “News of the Future” segment. At least once they included an item that began “President Ronald Reagan”.

JimC on September 8, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Must be that these clips are too favorable to Governor Palin for them to remain out for the public to see, cuz I’m getting the “sorry, video not available” message on them now.

Vanquisher on September 8, 2008 at 10:20 PM

“we’re sorry, but this video is no longer available.”

eea on September 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Here is the video from C-span from the interview in February with Gov. Palin:

shelbysbest on September 8, 2008 at 11:25 PM

YouTube has this near the top of the page:

We are currently performing site maintenance. Be cool – we’ll be back 100% in a bit.

I got the videos in just fine, but there may be more glitches.
Make sure of the facts and save the censorship accusations for a sure thing. Firing them off too quickly only hits you in the foot.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on September 9, 2008 at 2:03 AM