Video: No, Obama didn’t “admit” to being a Muslim on ABC

posted at 3:00 pm on September 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

Within 10 minutes of this airing we’d already gotten four or five e-mails about it; 20 minutes later, a bowdlerized version had already hit YouTube and begun circulating. I despise lefty sites for twisting conservatives’ words by selectively editing clips, so let’s cut this one off at the pass before it gets going. Here’s the full exchange with Stephanopoulos, making it perfectly clear that when he says “my Muslim faith” he’s referring to how the people smearing him see him, not how he sees himself. No mas, please.

Exit question: If McCain’s responsible for every smear leveled against Obama by a conservative whether he condemns it or not — as certain prominent nutroots bloggers have long asserted — then by extension isn’t Sullivan’s Palin smearapalooza a de facto operation of the Obama campaign? Assuming, that is, that it’s not an actual operation of the Obama campaign.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Yeah, that’s the story, not the bullspit about him being a Muslim. Who cares.

Wonder why neither AP nor anyone in the MSM has dared to mention that his grandfather and mother were both committed Marxists?

Jaibones on September 7, 2008 at 9:57 PM

First, I agree that in that interview, Obama did not say he is of muslim faith. However there is plenty of evidence that his first religion was muslim and that he has never converted to Christianity but to Black Theology Religion (whatever that is, apparently one that believes in GDing America)
There is still plenty of evidence that he has lot’s of friends that are muslims, and that he has a lot of support from muslims. That’s basically all anyone that is not muslim should need to know.

Redteam on September 7, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Good grief.

The Ugly American on September 7, 2008 at 10:06 PM

For cripes sake, Barack Obama isn’t a Muslim.

His religion is far more sinister: Black Liberation Theology.

Basically you take everything bad about Liberation Theology, which is basically a Communist front, and you add in blatant racism. This is why Barack thinks charity is wealth redistribution and Wright is a fine and dandy example for his children.

BKennedy on September 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Why are you covering for Obama the Muslim. I saw the interview – he slipped and admitted it. I agree that being a Marxist should be enough to disqualify him, but aren’t we conservatives dedicated to the truth? Or is there an agenda besides conservatism and Americanism at work here?

bill30097 on September 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Curious if Obama is not currently a Muslim then is he an apostate? Cause he was born to a Muslim father and that makes him a Muslim son.

I don’t make the rules…just follow them.

PierreLegrand on September 7, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Here is the Re-mixed version…

Game over if this gets big coverage..

SaintOlaf on September 7, 2008 at 10:45 PM

bill30097 on September 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I think Allahpundit is looking to the future after Obama has lost the race and the left starts to deride Republicans and of course right-leaning blogs such as HotAir as racist. Maybe they would even use such rhetoric as support for some kind of “fairness doctrine” for political blogs. Allah probably doesn’t want the left to be able to say that HotAir promoted the idea that Obama is a Muslim, which is actually smart. He is just being cautious for the journalistic integrity of the site, at least that’s what I think is going on.

Maxx on September 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Seems ignorance of Islam has climbed higher at Hot Air of late. A personal opinion is valid over demonstrable truth. But America is also too self engaged at the moment to pay attention to the world in a constructive way. When the fever of electoral excitement has passed and the real world presents itself again then perhaps serious things of a global nature may come in vogue for consideration once more. Let’s hope that some things are not irretrievable by then.

BL@KBIRD on September 7, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Well done Allah,
His being a Muslim should not be counted against him.
Just as His preacher and mentor saying:
” nah nah nah nah nah, not God bless America, God-damn America.”

And he should not be considered guilty by association either.

I mean so what if his political career was kicked off in the living room of an admitted non repentant terrorist.

And who cares if Hamas and Hezbollah you are supporting his run for office.

Man that is all just back ground noise.

Oh yeah, Kill whitey.

Peace out.

TheSitRep on September 7, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Zerobama is not a Muslim. He’s worse. He doesn’t believe in anything except the god Ambition.

spmat on September 7, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Obama’s list of faults and negatives is very long and of genuine concern but the closet Muslim crap is very old and tired.

STOP

IT

Yakko77 on September 7, 2008 at 11:08 PM

TheSitRep on September 7, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I love beating up on Allah as much as anybody, but I think you’re wrong to accuse him on this one. Obama did in fact say “my Muslim faith” but the context was not such that it was an admission. Allah as the webmaster isn’t at liberty to use some of the careless reasoning we commenters sometimes use. We don’t have responsibility for the integrity of the site, he does.

That said, Obama’s gaffe sounded like a Freudian slip to me.

Maxx on September 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM

I really think the interview did it for me. The slip just sounded to much like it was just normal conversation (like he forgot who he was talking too). Maybe I am wrong but I really think Obama is a muslim and he is not going to let you know that. God Bless everyone and everyone have a blessed week.

American on September 7, 2008 at 11:15 PM

So then it sounds like you are an expert. Is Obama an apostate then?

PierreLegrand on September 7, 2008 at 11:19 PM

PierreLegrand on September 7, 2008 at 11:19 PM

If memory serves, we have a mutual friend with the initials – DW?

MB4 on September 7, 2008 at 11:28 PM

I just watched United93 on TNT. Man, am I in the mood to punch Mohammed……

StatenItaly08 on September 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Joking aside can anyone here give me an answer as to whether Obama is an apostate?

MB4 sorry I don’t remember anyone with those initials.

PierreLegrand on September 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM

MB4 sorry I don’t remember anyone with those initials.

PierreLegrand on September 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Diana West.

MB4 on September 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM

PierreLegrand on September 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Indubitably.

MB4 on September 7, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Ah yes…I do admire Diana.

PierreLegrand on September 7, 2008 at 11:38 PM

July, 2007:

PierreLegrand – “Unwarranted Attack on Diana West a response!”

PierreLegrand, nice to see another big fan of Diane West. As you probably know Daniel Pipes is also.

Diana West is brilliant.
- Me

MB4 on September 7, 2008 at 11:41 PM

When I saw it, I knew it was just a flub-no mas is right. Obama has plenty of actual faults for us to note.

Doug on September 7, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Obama’s just a mush-mouthed, surge-foolish, flop-prone, racism-pandering, radical-sucking, empty-suited poseur of a Gaffrican American, ~not a Muslim.

How reassuring.

profitsbeard on September 8, 2008 at 12:11 AM

That said, Obama’s gaffe sounded like a Freudian slip to me.

Maxx on September 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Oh come off it. I’m sorry, but this is moronic. If we can’t even tell the truth anymore, then we are done as a country. You can spin this all you want, it’s not going to change the EVERYDAY person’s views. If it was “not in the right context”, then why did Stephi feel the need to correct him?

I am so sick of this moronic PC lets not offend anyone garbage. The truth needs to be told regardless of how astonishing it may seem. I honestly have no words to describe how saddened and angered I am at the fact that our country has gotten to this point. I’m sorry, but if a person had this many “questionable” and outright radical connections and was friends with our enemies (not to mention taking money from them) in the WWII era, he would be labeled a traitor and possibly imprisoned. He definitely would not be running to become President of the United States.

People wonder how the country has gotten to this point. Look at AP’s and Maxx’s posts, there is your answer right there. OH NO, let’s not offend people or take risks to fight for something bigger than ourselves.

Obviously people did not listen to McCain’s speech that closely. This is not about us or our “precious” credibility. I answer to God in that regard so I do not take stuff like rumors and other stuff lightly, but I also answer to God when I don’t speak up about something that needs to be said or be brought to light. It’s not about us, it’s about our country and our freedom that God has graciously given us.

I apologize for being a little rude at the beginning, but this kind of stuff is getting on my nerves. You can’t change what people see and hear with their own eyes and ears, so stop trying just so you can look “above it all” and respectable. If this continues, this country is going to be gone sooner than I thought.

MobileVideoEngineer on September 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM

These people/candidates, no matter what you think of them, must be exausted by now. A slip such as this would be understandable. But lets not be fooled, the dem’s wouldn’t be so gracious if the table were turned. However, that very negative is what is destroying the democrat party. Lets allow them continue.
What this does show is that Obama is definitely in a “rattled” state. He’s reminding me of a quarterback in an nfl game that has just thrown his 3rd or 4th interception in a game and has lost all composure and calm. Which breeds more mistakes. Now that is a good thing for those of us who want a GOP win on 11/4/08. DD

Darvin Dowdy on September 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Diana West is brilliant.
- Me

MB4 on September 7, 2008 at 11:41 PM

If you have ever linked to Diana West’s work, so that we could share in it, I have never seen such a link.

RushBaby on September 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Obama is not a Muslim, people. This clip is an example of how he’s a closet nincompoop, not a closet Muslim. His whole life the past two years has been an exercise in squaring the circle, painting his socialism with a capitalist crayola and selling a life story that resembles the Watergate tapes, post Rose Mary Woods.

Running with this crypto-Muslim narrative makes you look like buffoons.

If you want to raise hell about Obama cum Muslims, talk about how he’s going to cave into their every demand as they have in the U.K., in Canada and in Europe, replete with “Human Rights Tribunals” and squeaky milquetoast requests for “mutual understanding.” That’s a function of his towering paper-thin resolve, not his super ultra secret Manchurian candidate Muslim decoder ring.

Quit fighting a war that isn’t there.

spmat on September 8, 2008 at 12:41 AM

MobileVideoEngineer on September 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM

All I’m saying is that when you are the guy writing the headlines you have to be careful, these headlines live forever. I agree with what you said above. In fact I said kind of the same thing at: Maxx on September 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM

And yes, Obama is a Marxist and was raised Muslim according to his own brother, his teachers and others. But if you are the guy writing the headlines you don’t want to say Obama admitted to being a Muslim when the context indicates it was a gaffe. All that does is destroy your own credibility, why do it?

Maxx on September 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM

RushBaby on September 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Diana West Archieves

MB4 on September 8, 2008 at 1:37 AM

I’ve been saying since Obama announced he was running that this is the wrong tree to bark up. It makes Republicans look as desperate as Democrats.

It’s a shame anyone would edit that statement. I saw it in its entirety and there was never a question about what Obama was saying.

Amy Proctor on September 8, 2008 at 1:39 AM

It wouldn’t matter to me if Obama said he was a muslim from day one.

He hasn’t. He has claimed to have ‘never been a muslim’ – but there are school records saying he was, his own writings suggest he was, his classmates and teachers recall him as muslim, and he has this slip up.

It needs to be used – perhaps not be McCain officially, but the closer you tie him to Islam the further he gets from the White House.

I’ve seen this ‘sound byte journalism’ used against Bush for 8 years now. Obama has gotten away with gaffe after gaffe without similar derision among MSM outlets.

‘Bush Lied’ wasn’t an accurate portrayal – but that didn’t stop it from being effective.

Mr Purple on September 8, 2008 at 1:47 AM

He’s either a muslim or a fan. Either way, it’s dangerous for America.

Ronnie on September 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Whether it’s a slip of the tongue or a slip of the truth, I don’t know. I doubt it, as it would be an odd train of thought to use in that context. But then again, remember the “exp…” of Clarence Thomas. Still doubtful.

For cripes sake, Barack Obama isn’t a Muslim.

His religion is far more sinister: Black Liberation Theology.

BKennedy on September 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM

There are more similarities than differences between the Christian and Muslim versions of that. TUCC did honor Louie Farahkan-man for “truth.” [I won't say more.]

I suppose it is possible there is “syncretism” going on there. Some months ago, I read of a black female Methodist minister removed from her pulpit for involvement with a mosque. She was trying to “walk both roads,” as it were. So it does happen.

Of course, this can be found through all races and religions. Many American Indian faiths specifically allow for it, and missionaries elsewhere report difficulties knowing what a potential convert (or even a long-term minister) really believes.

Tommygun on September 8, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Like each and every person on the Left, Obama is deeply religious, even fundamentally and fanatically so. But the religion is Socialism.

Within that, you can choose to attend the churches of Feminism, Social Justice, Environmentalism, or Anti-Americanism, depending on your mood for the day.

But it IS a faith, and they take is dead serious.

Halley on September 8, 2008 at 3:20 AM

That said, Obama’s gaffe sounded like a Freudian slip to me.

Maxx on September 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM

roger that!
I agree it was indeed a Freudian slip

TheSitRep on September 8, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Obama’s gaffe sounded like a Freudian slip to me.

That is obvious by the way Stephanopoulos starts to correct him saying “you mean your Christian faith” and then Obama responds indicating he was referring to what other people were saying.

But the facts are still that his father and step-father were Muslims and he was registered as a Muslim in school and took Quran classes.

And attending a “church” such as Rev. Wright’s does not in any way, shape or form make you any kind of real “Christian”.

Has he even bothered to say when he had his “baptism”? When his Christian faith was first being questioned, he responded that his children had been baptized. To this day, I have never heard him state that he had himself been baptized.

StephenDvd on September 8, 2008 at 7:07 AM

With the Reverend Jeremiah Wright as the spiritual mentor of Obama’s Christian faith, I would think that insinuations that he’s actually a Muslim (wholly inaccurate though they be) might be viewed as an improvement, at least from a public relations viewpoint.

JudetheFossil on September 8, 2008 at 7:22 AM

As to whether he is or not, all arguments notwithstanding….

I’m voting McCain-Palin, who I know FOR CERTAIN are Christians.

franksalterego on September 8, 2008 at 8:33 AM

As for the self-professed faith of Obama, he has a problem either way.

If he is indeed a Muslim and has been protraying himself as a Christian to get a better voter reaction then he is a liar about one of the most important and deeply personal decisions a person can make. It is a clear condemnation of the man as somebody who is willing to mislead the public on anything in order to be elected so nothing he says is reliable.

So new let’s say he is accurate in his statement that he is now a Christian. When Obama was born to a Muslim father and registered as a Muslim in schools in Indonesia, that became his faith according to Muslim belief.

If Obama has turned away from the Muslim faith to become a Christian then he is viewed as an apostate by the fundamentalist Muslims. The penalty for apostasy in Sharia is death.

The possibilities of how that would all be played out by the nutroot Muslims boggles the mind. Does it invite more attacks on America or on Obama himself? How does it impact foriegn policy discussions with Muslim countries when their fundamentalist faction screams he is an apostate?

I must admit that if (God forbid) there is an Obama Presidency that this will be interesting in how it plays out.

Hawthorne on September 8, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Agreed there’s no “admission” lurking in what he said.

There is yet another demonstration of how bad he is at unscripted discussion of any issue. Uh, um, er, uh, . . . . my muslim faith, err, christian faith, that’s what I meant. Comparatively, W is a great orator. Maybe we should start a “Great Moments in Presidential Campaign Speeches” spoof that has an intro like Letterman’s nightly dig at the President.

Bigger to me is BarryO’s willingness to allign the right wing commenters at Fox News with McCain. That clip’s a keeper for the debates. Because Keith Olberman and Chris Mathews and the new Meadow woman make the most conservative voices at Fox News appear at most down the middle and possibly slightly left of center.

EconomicNeocon on September 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Here’s another article from Sept. 3ed about Obama that blew me away because it reveals a side of Obama that heretofore has receive no coverage, at least none that I am aware of.

Maxx on September 8, 2008 at 10:15 AM

From a Kristof NYT Article titled Obama: Man of the World Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated, Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as “one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.”

Moreover, Mr. Obama’s own grandfather in Kenya was a Muslim. Mr. Obama never met his grandfather and says he isn’t sure if his grandfather’s two wives were simultaneous or consecutive, or even if he was Sunni or Shiite.

Gosh isn’t it great that the Change We Have been waiting for remembers exactly the Muslim Call to Prayer. How wordly.

A translation of the Call to Prayer is:
God is most great. God is most great.
God is most great. God is most great.
I testify that there is no god except God.
I testify that there is no god except God.
I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God.
I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God.
Come to prayer! Come to prayer!
Come to success (in this life and the Hereafter)!
Come to success!
God is most great. God is most great.
There is no god except God.

Btw for all you every so wordly folks sitting around here declaring that Obama is not a Muslim. Reciting that prayer or more specifically reciting only these lines is all that is required to become a Muslim. No secret handshakes or forms to sign.

I testify that there is no god except God.
I testify that there is no god except God.
I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God.
I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God.

So then too bad that we don’t have a video of THE ONE reciting the prayer for Kristof. We might be able to see whether he got to those lines. Of course he has recited those lines before…its not as if he only remembered the opening lines perfectly.

Perhaps he truly believes he is not a Muslim…which testifies to his idiocy more than his faith.

Can we please stop acting like it is loony for anyone to consider that he is a Muslim. He has lied about so much that lying about being a Muslim isn’t so farfetched.

PierreLegrand on September 8, 2008 at 10:27 AM

WORLDLY WORLDLY…sheesh

PierreLegrand on September 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM

PierreLegrand on September 8, 2008 at 10:27 AM

That may be all it takes to BECOME a Muslim (if that’s the case, I’m now a Muslim), but I’m fairly certain that it takes a bit more to REMAIN a Muslim…and I think going to a non-Muslim church for 20+ years kind of diminishes your Muslim standing.

Regardless, he’s not…and so what if he WAS? As long as he was honest about it…and I also don’t care if his grandparents were Marxist. My political views are about as far from My grandfather’s as possible. He was actually a segregationist….doe that simple fact make me a segregation sympathizer?

beefytee on September 8, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Hasn’t Obama personally repeated the out-of-context response of John McCain that $5 million income qualifies a person as “rich”, which McCain immediately laughed about and predicted would be taken out of context by his opponent?

AndAwayWeGo on September 8, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Well sorry but you are incorrect. Islam is not Christianity where one might decide at anytime not to be a Christian. Islam takes a very dim view of those who leave Islam.

Furthermore Obama declared he was NEVER a Muslim. That is demonstrably false. So either he is ignorant of Islam which in these dark days is a dangerous ignorance or he is lying. You pick.

PierreLegrand on September 8, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Pierrelegrand

and apparently many here do not understand the concept of taquiyah( pardon my possible wrong spelling of the word)

MNDavenotPC on September 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM

MNDavenotPC

Certainly I do understand that it is OK for Muslims to lie. Perhaps you meant to say that many here do not understand. I would agree and go farther to say that folks like Allah do not understand that there are very deep and fundemental differences between Christanity and Islam.

PierreLegrand on September 8, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Pierre

Yes that was my intent sorry if I was not clear.

MNDavenotPC on September 8, 2008 at 11:40 AM

and so it begins…..

venicesurfer on September 8, 2008 at 11:45 AM

and so it begins…..

venicesurfer on September 8, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Maxx on September 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM

A headline really shouldn’t guess at motives. If McCain gives a speech that refers to Obama’s “Muslim faith”, it won’t be appropriate to run a headline stating “John McCain did not refer to Obama as having a Muslim faith”.

A journalist, blogger or otherwise, should first provide the statement and then provide the spin.

Buddahpundit on September 8, 2008 at 12:11 PM

and so it begins…..

venicesurfer on September 8, 2008 at 11:47 AM

OH NOES>>>OH NOES

Look I would prefer we not go that route but if you are expecting me to engage in ritual self-bleeding over Bambi being slagged get over it.

The double team of the nutroots “incest is best” bloggers and barely better newsies has hardened my heart….

if Bambi wants to try to push “faith games” on Palin through his seconds I am game to push bambi into explaining TUCC.

This is probably the way we get that.

sven10077 on September 8, 2008 at 12:56 PM

StephenDvd on September 8, 2008 at 7:07 AM

From my point of view that argument works very well. I believe that to join a religion you need to do baptism or whatever ritual that religion has.

The problem with that arguement is that John McCain is not baptized in any Christian religion either. That is what makes this such a sticky political situation.

It seems, that “baptism” as known at the time of Jesus and John the Baptist– as an essential part of Christianity–has been changed in many Christian religions.

By the way I read that Palin was baptised Catholic as a baby but she doesn’t consider herself Catholic anymore.

According to many just the public acknowledgment that Jesus Christ is their personal Savior is enough to make one a Christian. I have heard Obama say that.

I am bothered though, by the way he claims that he was never a Muslim. I think everyone in his family considered him a Muslim. His mother and Grandparents were marxist and atheists so we get back to having to rely on his word.

Which is all well and good. But would we have elected a first generation Japanese or German American in WWII? How about a first generation Russian during the Cold War? It is insulting that we are not allowed to question his background.

Islam is more than a religion it is also a political belief system. I think on the basis of political loyalties it is a valid issue.

petunia on September 8, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Maxx on September 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM

I don’t know about all of that, but it does point to what Hussein will do if elected. And with White Liberal Guilt, a worshipping media, , etc., etc., there will be little to stop him. And those few who care enough to look up from their own personal interests will be stopped by the gun confiscation he “wants” to do.

Tommygun on September 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM

petunia on September 8, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Good point. It’s a valid issue.

My final take on the video: It’s not enough to convict him of being a Muslim, but it does make me less likely to believe he’s not. I was of the “former(?) Muslim” view of him. I’m now of the “former(??) Muslim” view of his religiosity.

I still wonder about syncretism.

Tommygun on September 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Look Osama has flipped on everything,He is a typical political opportunist who will say anything to get elected.Next he will say he planned on having a downs syndrome child.

Marines for Mccain on September 8, 2008 at 3:00 PM

and so it begins…..

venicesurfer on September 8, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Dude… If that’s not a joke, then I need to get my irony meter serviced. I LOLed, anyway.

spmat on September 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM

It would have been nice if Stephanopoulos asked Obama specifically WHICH Fox News commentators suggested he ws a Muslim.

drjohn on September 8, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Little personal anecdote, this happened not five minutes ago. My office was full of D, R, and ? folks. Someone sailed in here announcing at the top of his voice that Obama had “admitted he was a Muslim”. I promptly pulled up this vid and showed it to all present. My friend instantly felt contrite and will cease to spread that story.

I was so proud to be a Hot Head today, and to introduce them to this site. I said, Hot Air confronts the incoming lies, and stops the outgoing lies.

Thanks to Hot Air’s staff for all you do.

RushBaby on September 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM

You need to check out what he says about increasing military funding(during this same interview) and what he said last year to Caucus4priorty, where he says that he is going to defund the military.. He is a liar.

OMG and WTF, when he isn’t on teleprompter, he is incoherent…..

reshas1 on September 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Thanks to Hot Air’s staff for all you do.

RushBaby on September 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM

so you pointed out to all there that Georgina Snuffalupagis was a bit too eager to “lend a hand”?

Or did we just leave that out and HotAir is for damage control for the Obamessiah?

sven10077 on September 9, 2008 at 3:57 AM

Checked it again. It’s a slip. He’s Muslim.

Hussein’s claim that he meant then McCain campaign hasn’t called him a Muslim doesn’t fit. There was no “quote” lilt in his voice or any other indication. He is relaxed, and had Stephy not caught it, it would have been ignored by Hussein. He let it slip that he has a “Muslim faith.” It may be a syncretic mix with Christianity under a Black Nationalist liberation theology umbrella, but it’s in there somewhere.

I stand ready to be proven wrong. But considering devout Muslims can lie, I’m not sure how to do that.

Tommygun on September 9, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Islam and Black Liberation Theology both have distorted views of Jesus. The former claims he is just a minor prophet who will return in the end times to tell the world that the gospels got it wrong. The latter claims he is a black man whose primary goal is to promote the supremacy of blacks over their white oppressors. That Obama feels comfortable with either “faith” is disturbing enough.

Disturb the Universe on September 9, 2008 at 8:23 AM

This is definitely a Freudian slip, and it’s symptomatic of a deeper problem with Obama–what ARE his core convictions? He is obviously sensitive about the fact that he grew up in Indonesia, had Muslims in his family, and that in a world situation where some (not all) Muslims have threatened and attacked America, some people might question his loyalty, especially when he is known to have close contacts to Louis Farrakhan.

Although we conservatives might disagree with their policies, it would be hard to imagine Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Harry Reid, or Nancy Pelosi ever talking about “my Muslim faith”–the phrase would never occur to them. This is a weakness particular to Obama, not all Democrats.

Obama is definitely insecure about his own religious beliefs, especially since the source of his Christian faith (Jeremiah Wright) has proved to be an embarrassment. Such a candidate should tread lightly when trying to attack Sarah Palin for praying at an Assembly of God or Pentecostal church–the ice usually breaks where it’s thinnest.

Steve Z on September 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM