Obama: I could totally take Palin in a game of hoops

posted at 12:45 pm on September 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

A few highlights from an interview with Stephanopoulos that was chock full of them, including the revelation that The One once thought of joining the military but apparently neglected to mention that fact in either of his two memoirs. How he presumes to know that Palin will be even Bushier than McCain when the chief talking point from his side right now is that we’re dangerously unaware of her policy views, I don’t know; presumably it’s just his way of calling her a “Christianist,” which is a highly nuanced position indeed.

The one on one showdown comes at the end. Before that, you’ll find a brief exchange about whether commanding the Alaska National Guard is a credential worth mentioning. Exit quotation from Biden: “You realize you could’ve made history if you’d found a cardboard cut-out of Gov. Palin, that’s the closest she would’ve been to taking tough questions from the national media since she was selected.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Last week, Sarah was Daisy Mae, mayor of Dogpatch every Sadie Hawkins Day. This week, she is running for her 3rd term as VP. Our little girl is all growed up!

Obama used the term “skilled politician” THREE times in a row. New Talking Point!

Yes, what we are looking for in a VP pick is an unskilled politician.

Perhaps Barack’s complaint is that now we are getting to see just how unskilled a politician he really is.

He made it where he is by fronting for the machine while Sarah Palin made it where she is by confronting the machine.

Laurence on September 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM

LOL, wasn’t the Messiah trying to court the Christianists for a while there?? I guess after the disaster at Saddleback that this is no longer an objective.

Illinidiva on September 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Obama acts bemused that he understands the geographical placement of Alaska near to Russia. (Doesn’t everybody?) Now, if he can sort out the other problems that he has with geography and our adversaries and our allies…

Back to the community leadership, BarryBoy. The southside of Chicago has still not pulled itself out the slough of despond in spite of your lightworker years.

onlineanalyst on September 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Don’t be absurd. Look at Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton- their combined years of commanding even larger National Guard forces absolutely prepared those men for the role of Commander in Chief. Command of the National Guard is very similar to commanding the US military.

My concern is somewhat different- shouldn’t we be concerned that giving a governor control of the National Guard is placing too much power in the hands of a single individual?

bayam on September 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM

“My muslim faith”

fossten on September 7, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Barry O: “What I was suggesting. . . you, you’re absolutely right that John McCain has not, uh, talked about my Muslim faith. . . and you’re absolutely right that that is not something. . . ”

Stephanopoulos: “Christian faith. . .”

Barry O: “My-my Christian faith. . . and, well, what I’m saying is that he has suggested that I am a, a Muslim. . .”

Really? What you’re saying is that John McCain has suggested that you’re a Muslim? When?

“my Muslim faith”–when Barry O said that, it was a jaw-dropper for me. I don’t trust this guy as far as I can drop kick him.

The bar is set so low it’s ridiculous, as far as Stephanopoulos doing an even reasonably tough interview on our man Barry; but having said that, to be fair, I think he did a reasonable job. At least I think the interview was tougher than Barry O was expecting.

labwriter on September 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Tommy_G on September 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I can’t tell you how many “media” guys are wandering the streets of Anchorage now, looking for crap. UGH!

upinak on September 7, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Too bad they never went to Chicago to do the same for Obama. Just think of all the stuff we’d know about him now (on top of all the horrendous crap we already know), if the MSM had been as diligent in trying to dig up dirt on him as they are in trying to dig it up on Gov. Palin.

AZCoyote on September 7, 2008 at 2:22 PM

It’s never too late. Chicago is open for business.

It’s never too late to tell the truth about Barack Obama.

gabriel sutherland on September 7, 2008 at 2:26 PM

jimmy the notable on September 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

It may be a decent strategy to avoid them as long as possible so that they can underestimate her again. I have to admit that they had even made me wonder how she would do before her speech, then she hit it out of the ballpark. I am probably thinking too much but they(the media) have so consistently looked stupid it is hard to believe there is no plan to help them along.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM

“My muslim faith”

fossten on September 7, 2008 at 2:09 PM

He phrased that oddly. Did not say my exposure to the muslim faith, my relatives muslim faith, my childhood exposure to the muslim faith. Wait for his corrections……

Pat in NC on September 7, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Meh, I get what he was saying. I wouldn’t even say its a gaffe. What he means by “my Muslim faith” is the line of attack that he might be a Muslim. Stephonopoulis made it worse by correcting him when he didn’t even need correcting, in my opinion. Maybe I’m reading it wrong.

jimmy the notable on September 7, 2008 at 1:19 PM

It is best to avoid always putting an opponent in the worst possible light. Especially when it can be explained as simply misspeaking – which everyone does. If you are wrong on even one issue, it damages your credibility.

Besides, Obama is so flawed that a fair reading of many issues show he is unfit for the presidency. I’ll pass on this one.

Right_of_Attila on September 7, 2008 at 2:32 PM

It’s an excellent strategy. Here’s what I think is going on:

Yes, she getting briefed on a lot of material but they’re not at all worried about how she would handle herself. They’ve got hours and hours of footage and I suspect they know that she’ll blow doors in an one-on-one interview just llike she blew doors in her convention speech.

So what do they do? They withhold her. They wait. They’re baiting the Obama campaign to use this as a campaign issue: “where’s Sarah Palin? Why won’t she speak? Why are they hiding her?!!!” At the opportune moment they agree to an interview.

The result? Big ratings smash. EVERYONE tunes in to watch and when she does great, the McCain campaign gets another big bump in the polls.

McCain is in Obama’s OODA loop and there’s not a thing that Barry can do about it.

PackerBronco on September 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Unless Obama’s minions can find a quote, where Palin proposes that we surrender Iraq to Qaeda and Iran she creams him on foreign policy.

But he creams her on pandering to the worst instincts of Americans: a fear of the costs of fighting terrorism and envy of the rich.

Basilsbest on September 7, 2008 at 2:36 PM

“My muslim faith”

fossten on September 7, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Who you gonna believe, me or your lying ears?

WTF!?!?!?

TinMan13 on September 7, 2008 at 2:37 PM

“My muslim faith”

Whoops.

CP on September 7, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Dear God,

Please make it so the debates are between Sarah and Obama, then McCain vs what’s his name Biden. Please, God.

Halley on September 7, 2008 at 2:37 PM

PackerBronco on September 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM

BINGO!!!! Give that man a cigar.

ManlyRash on September 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Maybe he can take her on the basketball court, but can he take her in the arena of ideas. – Tommy_G on September 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM

No. Next question?

ManlyRash on September 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Obama criticizing Palin is at best The Permanently Unfit criticizing The Temporarily Unready.

You can’t teach judgment. Either you have it or you don’t. Think Ayers, Rezko and Wright.

Politicians without a track record are hard to judge. Since you can’t judge politicians by what they say, judging them by their freely chosen associations is a sound approach.

Basilsbest on September 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM

How about bowling?

aunursa on September 7, 2008 at 12:49 PM

LOL… Trig could beat Obama in bowling.

Maxx on September 7, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I find it hard to believe he’d think about joining the military since he graduated high school in 1979 but the reinstitution of mandatory registration didn’t start until the summer of 1980, didn’t it? He’d have been in college a whole year before he had to register (these are assumptions; maybe he took a year off), and wasn’t his first college experience in California (Occidental College, LA) when he was going through his rebellious years doing drugs? I can’t think, in California, with other young anti-war people he’d seriously think of joining the military. I may be off on my dates, but it just doesn’t figure.

deedledee on September 7, 2008 at 2:45 PM

From the Tapper link:

“Probably,” Obama said. “Yes. I mean, what I intended to say is that, as a Christian, I have a lot of humility about understanding when does the soul enter into…”

“It goes back to Augustine,” Stephanopoulos interjected.

“It does,” Obama said. “It’s a pretty tough question. And so, all I meant to communicate was that I don’t presume to be able to answer these kinds of theological questions. What I do know is that abortion is a moral issue, that it’s one that families struggle with all the time, and that in wrestling with those issues, I don’t think that the government criminalizing the choices that families make is the best answer for reducing abortions.”

Heh, so much for Stephanopoulos’ brave stance in questioning the majesty of the O — he feeds him (pre-rehearsed?) clues to excuse his non-thinking thought. (Pelosi’s St. Augustine argument that’s been soundly debunked by Catholic theologians.)

Way to go, Georgie!

Nichevo on September 7, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Basilsbest on September 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM

I agree with your entire comment, but I especially like the way you characterized the difference between Obama (their #1) and Palin (our #2).

BuckeyeSam on September 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, but she would kick his as* in a bar fight.

james23 on September 7, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Let’s see him beat McCain in some hoops! What better or more relevant contest could there be?

Obama: Skills needed to lead the free world = basketball, hope and change

Mo2Do on September 7, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Obama and Hillary both thought about joining the military. Like Rush always says, with liberals, it’s always about their intentions and feelings. They rarely ever back it up with actions.

PatMac on September 7, 2008 at 3:41 PM

OOOOoooooooOOOOOOoooooPPPS!

No teleprompter?..And the reporter has to correct him?

christene on September 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM

He might take her on the basketball court..

But I bet she can out swim him.

DaveC on September 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM

What a POSER! Talk is cheap… only insecure people make statements like this. The confident keep their mouths shut. Yeah, godbama? What’s important here, a game of basketball or a safe nation?
Little Boys want to play games…. Adults want to protect and serve….

CynicalOptimist on September 7, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Mr confused nebulous Muslim-Hindu Animist-African-Christian New Age-Buddhist Syncretist never truly converted to Christianity except for political reasons. Anyone who is actually a Christian should be able to discern that through his words here:

He was using a “black activist Christian” faith card as his newly-issued passport to the Presidency. It was a conversion I would call good enough for government work. Then along came Sarah. She not only totally emasculated him, she’s also now exposing his faith as fake.

econavenger on September 7, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Darn he’s good

Baphomet on September 7, 2008 at 3:59 PM

She should immediately come out with a statement that she accepts the Senator’s challenge — on the condition that they make it a fundraiser for the American Red Cross.

ClintACK on September 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM

He’s one of the bigger arrogant jackasses I’ve seen in national politics is some time. ObamUH and Plugs Biden…a perfect match in annoyance.

“She’s a skilled politician.” Really, Barry O? I thought she was a redneck who only won the nomination because everybody hated the incumbent so much. Isn’t that what you f-tards were selling previously?

Anybody who buys this idiot’s garbage is a fool, period.

Face it, bUHrack, the ‘Cuda is outshining your overexposed, underachieving ass, and you can see this thing slipping away….

And I saw that pic of you riding that bike looking like a pansy. I bet the ‘Cuda would smoke you on the basketball court.

Metro on September 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM

I think they ought to do it – one night in October, for charity, $20,080,00 on the line for Downs Syndrome research versus oh, I dunno, world poverty?

HotAirJosef on September 7, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Obama handled that final “softball” segment well, and with considerable class. He didn’t say he could take her — he only said he’d do well. He even ceded her target shooting acumen. The guy is likeable — no debate about that. Whether he’s qualified to be President of the United States is debatable. The vote’s in November — we’ll see.

unclesmrgol on September 7, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Everyone keeps bringing up the rumor/fantasy(?) that McCain wanted Lieberman and had to settle for Palin. Question is, how far down the list did Obama go before he found someone who said “yes”?

taznar on September 7, 2008 at 6:29 PM

PackerBronco on September 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Like a Cheerio inside a Hula Hoop…..

CC

CapedConservative on September 7, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Obama: I could totally take Palin in a game of hoops

Is this a qualification for being president?
I don’t recall

ToddonCapeCod on September 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM

“I once laid awake all night trying to figure out how to assassinate Fidel Castro.”

Akzed on September 7, 2008 at 6:56 PM

“No really…”

Akzed on September 7, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Who is Obama?

Oh yea.. that crooked Chicago politician that the media keeps covering up for and pushing down our throats..

Chakra Hammer on September 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM

That would be the Stephanopoulos interview with the lie for the title Obama: McCain Has Suggested I Am Muslim

The lie is proved by Obama’s own statements at about the 3:00 mark (it’s a countdown):

“You are absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my… Christian faith, and his upper echelons have not either. What I think is fair to say is that coming out of the Republican camp there have been efforts to perhaps suggest that I’m not who I say I am when it comes to my
faith – something which I find deeply offensive. And that has been going on for a pretty long time.”

What “the Republican camp” is he doesn’t say – and Stephanopolous doesn’t trouble to ask.

(Obama first says “my Muslim faith,” which is clearly a slip of the lip. It’s not a ‘gaffe’ as some are suggesting.)

I’ve sent feedback to ABC, for all the good that will do.

Paul_in_NJ on September 7, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I don’t think so, Obama!!!

Basketball is yet another area where Sarah Palin’s experience is vastly superior to yours!!! And she can take a hit and keep right on playing!!!

But I do continue to be amused by your constant comparisons of yourself to Sarah, our candidate for Vice President…a tacit admission that you are not ready to be compared to our candidate for President!

landlines on September 7, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Joe O’biden is praying liberal every prayer he’s got that he can debate a cardboard cut-out of Sarah Palin. Because that’s the only way he get’s through it with his “manhood” intact.

What a loser/wimp he’s going to show himself to be.

seanrobins on September 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Hoops may be the only thing Obombem is good at cause now the Secret Service keeps all opponents a minimum of five feet from him.

Let’s see them compete in Hockey, rifelry, archery, or real thought.

MSGTAS on September 8, 2008 at 10:38 AM