Video: Palinmania in Colorado Springs

posted at 9:31 pm on September 6, 2008 by Allahpundit

Just listen to the crowd. I’ve honestly never seen anything like this for a conservative politician before.

Update: Maverick by four, says Zogby. “Clearly, Palin is helping the McCain ticket.”

Update: A prescient quote from last year tops Newsweek’s new profile of her: “When you talk about the Republican Party needing appealing candidates, darn right they do!… The Democrats, whether you like them or not … there is some dynamic there, and it’s something that the Republicans I think have lacked for some time.”

Update: It was like this yesterday in Michigan too, apparently. The Detroit News estimates a crowd of 10,000.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Just add a few killer lines on a regular basis. Some can be sweet too, but mostly hard rights with a smile to keep Obama reeling. He can then ramble on every day crying about it.

econavenger on September 7, 2008 at 1:07 AM

GREAT VIDEO! MSM is asking for interviews. Daily Kos, etc. are claiming that McCain is hiding her. The FIRST CHANGE McCain/Palin should bring, is to make them beg until they can grow up! Give them videos like this – at first – if they behave!

Karmi on September 7, 2008 at 1:08 AM

anna on September 7, 2008 at 12:51 AM

I think the reports started out stating the teleprompter was broken. Later, the reports stated that it simply scrolled ahead sometimes, not pausing long enough for applause.

If it did scroll ahead, Governor Palin handled it well, as this was her first time using a teleprompter. And even if there were absolutely no problems with the teleprompter, she still did a great job giving her first nationally televised speech before a massive crowd. I think her performance was nearly perfect.

Loxodonta on September 7, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Those who wanted Sarah Palin to lose the beehive now have their wish. http://www.koat.com/news/17410833/detail.html# She is dressing down considerably — brown suit and subdued make-up.

scrubjay on September 7, 2008 at 1:21 AM

coldwarrior on September 7, 2008 at 12:45 AM

………. Roger that!

Seven Percent Solution on September 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM

…God, I love her.

MadisonConservative on September 7, 2008 at 1:36 AM

The truth is that most candidates give almost the same speech at every campaign stop. They and their speechwriters work hard to create the best speech they can, and then ride it for all its worth. The speech is fresh to the locals who hear it, but national reporters following the campaign get incredibly sick of hearing the same thing over and over. It may be why they keep trying to trick the candidate to say something outrageous, so they’ll at least have a lede.

Incidentally, this was true of vaudeville, too. Performers would work hard to create the perfect act, and then take it all over the country for a year. In the days of TV, it doesn’t work: the whole nation sees your shtick at once, and you can’t do it again, you have to create something new every damned week.

Internet video may be changing political campaigning this way. If people really follow the speeches at campaign stops, the politicians, like performers, may have to come up with something fresh each time. More stress for them, I’m afraid.

Bartrams_Garden on September 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM

scrubjay on September 7, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Thanks for that link! Another huge crowd. 10,000 again?

SouthernGent on September 7, 2008 at 2:06 AM

Allah ~

I attended the Albuquerque, New Mexico rally today, and the crowd was spectacular! Governor Palin was fantastic. The electricity was stupendous. Senator McCain said, “With this kind of reception there is no doubt we’re going to win New Mexico.”

SheetAnchor on September 7, 2008 at 2:49 AM

According to this report, she started slamming Joe Biden in thsi event. “Senator Biden can claim many chairmanships across many, many years in Washington and certain many friends in the Washington establishment, but even those admirers would not call him an agent of change.”

The video isn’t working for me but is that bit in there? I’d do anyting to hear that.

They are moving for the kill one step at a time. Am I the only one thinking that the Team’s shielding her from the media is just another trap that the MSM is falling into? They lower the expectations, they keep the media beast hungry, the media goes batshit with resentment, suspense and sympathy go up and bang, Sarah Paline enters the stage and hangs Joe to dry. Isn’t it wonderful?

promachus on September 7, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Looks like Maureen Dowd’s got a dose of Palinmania too.

Palin still riding high from her 2008 field-dressing of Obama (who’s now back in the Senate convening his subcommittee on Afghanistan).

Ha ha. Palin must be great if she makes Maureen Dowd fantasise about Hillary.

promachus on September 7, 2008 at 2:57 AM

I love Sarah! She is not playing around. I believe that she will shake Washington up! Maybe they will shorten the Senate and the Congresses terms. Four years only! Is not right that they can serve for so many years. So many have been stagnant for years. Scales are growing on them. So much dirt there. Will take a long time to get every spot of dust off the ground. McCain made a superb choice! I will vote dancing at the booth.

sheebe on September 7, 2008 at 3:14 AM

MadisonConservative on September 7, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Yes, I need another fix…..I’m a junkie!

New juice please.

omnipotent on September 7, 2008 at 3:27 AM

Please, oh, please tell me we’re not going to hear the retread version of the same stunningly stellar and refreshing speech we heard Wednesday night. Anyone who was interested enough to come see her three days later in Colo. Springs would have seen (or at least heard highlights of) that momentous introduction to her national audience. This version sounds rushed, and quite like she knows she’s delivering familiar lines. (Compare the pause before the “eBay” punchline Wednesday night to the toss-off delivery it gets here.)

I love her as a fighter and reformer, and am thrilled that the woman I’ve been championing since at least spring has become the VP pick. But if I hear minor variations on that same speech at every whistle stop, I’ll be sorely disappointed. This isn’t stand-up comedy. This is a d_mned serious race. It’s like the converse of the line a peevish Joni Mitchell delivers on her ’75 live double-lp “Miles of Aisles,” when she’s interrupted by fans yelling out their favorite songs. “Nobody ever says to Vincent Van Gogh, ‘Hey, paint A Starry Night again, man…’”

I was within striking distance of being able to make the drive to the CS appearance. Thank you HotAir for saving me the trip.

Captain Scarlet on September 7, 2008 at 4:19 AM

“Only one thing, though. I realize she’s only been on a week, but this speech sounded damn near identical to her acceptance speech. While I was floored by the the first time I heard it, I think they need to work hard to keep her words fresh. Let Sarah be Sarah.” - MadisonConservative on September 7, 2008 at 1:36 AM

“The truth is that most candidates give almost the same speech at every campaign stop. They and their speechwriters work hard to create the best speech they can, and then ride it for all its worth. The speech is fresh to the locals who hear it, but national reporters following the campaign get incredibly sick of hearing the same thing over and over.” -Bartrams_Garden on September 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Two points:

Give it time! She was “announced” barely over a week ago, and officially nominated not even a week ago….

Also, I’m not so sure Bartrams’ comment is always so applicable today (see: Hillary’s “black-accent” speech in the South, which was not only pathetic and patronizing, but also SO LOCAL it hardly could have “played” anywhere else…). I think there are PLENTY of national politicians who say one thing “here” and another “there.” It’s still a Big Country.

Lockstein13 on September 7, 2008 at 4:27 AM

Why do I get giddy when she says the word caliber?

mad saint jack on September 7, 2008 at 5:05 AM

Weird. The video is playing, but there’s no sound (and yes, I have my speakers up and the video is unmuted).

rightwingprof on September 7, 2008 at 5:13 AM

Why do I get giddy when she says the word caliber?

mad saint jack on September 7, 2008 at 5:05 AM

Because you were in the Infantry and not the Artillery?

MB4 on September 7, 2008 at 5:15 AM

More or less the same speech she gave at the convention.
I wish she can talk about something else or the MSM will be truly annoyed.

Birdseye on September 7, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Palin – one dose per day and your GOP depression is gone!

Halley on September 7, 2008 at 6:10 AM

WOW! I love this woman! We’ve been waiting for the next Ronald Reagan and she appears out of thin air from Alaska! I love this country!

sabbott on September 7, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Awesome…but I wish she wouldnt repeat the same cliches..theres so much material out there to use. I was wondering, isnt it a minimal requirement to be a lawyer to be a VP or Prez? Im sure either Im wrong or she is a lawyer.
Also I wish theyd hammer the national Health care debacle more…even messiah doesnt wanna get into that right now. Liberal Zogby..McCain by 4…damn Ill have a nice Sunday. Cheers freinds…

malkinmania on September 7, 2008 at 7:02 AM

malkinmania on September 7, 2008 at 7:03 AM

malkinmania on September 7, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Either you are sincerely misinformed or a trolling O’bot…

Lockstein13 on September 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Yah Lokenstein13, we cant all be as informed as you. I knew that open registration last week was a mistake…oh well.

malkinmania on September 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Ahhh and youve been posting since 4am..no wonder youre cranky.

malkinmania on September 7, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Yeah, its really quite thrilling (up my leg, ha ha). I am beginning to understand a little bit how Obama supporters must have felt during the primaries.

Waterboy on September 7, 2008 at 7:57 AM

That Dowdy piece needs to get elevated to Headlines at least. She has some PUMA goodness in there, indeed.

rhodeymark on September 7, 2008 at 8:19 AM

isnt it a minimal requirement to be a lawyer to be a VP or Prez?

Good lord no, the last thing we need in the White House are more lawyers.

The “law” profession is a guild centered on confusing citizens and promoting conflict, all for the purpose of enriching lawyers.

Lawyers produce nothing but conflict. We need doers in the White House, not talkers.

NoDonkey on September 7, 2008 at 8:30 AM

malkinmania on September 7, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Since the inception of our country, there’s been only these requirements…and they’re in the Constitution:

[5] No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

You’re obviously new to the site, based on your next post. Just because someone accuses you of being a troll, doesn’t mean you should consider registration a mistake. We all get grumpy.

Miss_Anthrope on September 7, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Right, which means the teleprompter is useless to her at the time. That is called broken. Her poise under the circumsatnce was remarkable for her first speech to the nation to not only hold up but to shine. My God as if that wouldn’t have derailed 90% of first timers. It’s naive to minimize that incredible accomplishment.

lisalj on September 7, 2008 at 8:41 AM

This from powerline is priceless…

Barack Obama announces that he “won’t be bullied.” Poor widdle Barack! “Bullied,” I guess, means “criticized” or “disagreed with.” Tom Maguire (via InstaPundit) reacts:

Whether Obama is revealing personal weakness or simply highlighting the historic weakness of his party, this is not talk that projects strength, especially in the current context – what is Obama saying, he won’t be bullied by a 44 year old hockey mom? Stand Tall, Barack – you won’t be bullied by Sarah Palin! OMG, is this a secret plan to assassinate Putin by making him laugh so hard he gets an aneurysm? Or is this Laugh Attack launched at the Right Blogosphere (It’s working! I can barely type through the tears).

Our next President – ready to take on hockey moms, PTA heads and small town mayors. Even former ones.

Obama seems to think it’s dirty pool for the Republicans to try to win the election. Maybe that’s because he thinks he’s already President:

Keemo on September 7, 2008 at 9:05 AM

isnt it a minimal requirement to be a lawyer to be a VP or Prez?

Truman never even graduated from college.

snickelfritz on September 7, 2008 at 9:20 AM

I adore Sarah, and she once again proves she’s a wonderful speaker. I’d sure like to see the campaign come up with some new material for her, though.

One thing I can say is that after watching her laud McCain a few times, I’m actually starting to like the guy a bit.

Pavel on September 7, 2008 at 9:53 AM

YouTube gives the McCain campaign a way to define which reporters are in the media pool, and to allow voters to see the interviews unfiltered by media.

I’d recommend the Wall Street Journal editorial staff and perhaps another media outlet for an interview, to be videotaped and put on YouTube and available in high definition from the McCain campaign. The WSJ seemed to accurately report on the substance of Sarah Palin’s experience as governor of Alaska in “How Palin Beat Alaska’s Establishment”, to understand the folly of media sterotypes about evangelicals in “Sarah Palin Feminism”, and to understand the media’s credibility problem in “What Sarah Knows”.

A key question to answer, whether WSJ asks them or not, would include why they were chosen for this interview. The rest of the media will carp about being left out, and a reporting performance-based answer would be appropriate. Dissing some media outlets that were not invited as “making in-kind contributions to the Obama campaign” or acting like tabloids would be delicious.

I’m sure the WSJ staff would ask tough questions that debunk charges they were selected for being too easy on Palin (even if the WSJ is generally clueless about immigration as a homeland security issue).

Right_of_Attila on September 7, 2008 at 9:59 AM

OK, I have a confession to make. When she starts off – “wow, this is just spectacular!” – and the stuff about the mountains and home … I just can’t help myself. I adore her. She hadn’t said anything yet.

The confession: clearly, this is the same sort of reaction that Obambi’s teary, stupid fans get from him. I’m not stupid, and I’m not crying, but otherwise … I’m just as pathetic as them.

There it is.

Jaibones on September 7, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Obama has a glass jaw. He’s not used to people not fawning all over him. Just watch, the more Palin goes after him, the worse he’s going to decompensate. By the time the debates roll around he’s going to be a quivering mass of Jello and that’s when the fun really begins.

eyedoc on September 7, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Going to see her tomorrow. :-)

Ronnie on September 7, 2008 at 11:13 AM

The old saying “A week in Politics is an enternity” was never more true than this past week.

I wonder if Michelle Obama will still be proud of her country on November 5?

Waterboy on September 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Obama has a glass jaw. He’s not used to people not fawning all over him

This is more true than people think. I have not read either of Obamas 2 autobiographies (at age 47, think about the massive ego required to do that!), but it is pretty clear that his rise to fame has always been on the shoulders of others, and not some David-Goliath “…black man fighting the system tooth and nail”

He is as much a manufactured politician as the boy-band industry in the 90s.

Waterboy on September 7, 2008 at 11:26 AM

McWhathisname/Palin 2008!

jnelchef on September 7, 2008 at 11:44 AM

I saw someone say she had not used a teleprompter before but she has. She worked as a television sports reporter before becoming Mayor and her degree is in journalism and political science.

goat on September 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM

The Colo Sprs airport is about 10 miles from me, tried getting tickets, they were gone in LESS THAN AN HOUR!

RMCS_USN on September 7, 2008 at 12:36 PM

TOTAL PALINMANIA!!

gxpgxp on September 7, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I can’t think of any American politician to have ever fit the term “godsend” more fully than Sarah Palin. She did not miss one single beat in this speech. Not one “um” or “er” or flub in the whole ten minutes. Reagan is looking down smiling & saying to himself, Damn, I wish I’d been that good with the spoken word … We are going to kick NBC Obama’s ass. I’ve never doubted that Obama wouldn’t lose at the end; that America wouldn’t eventually figure him out for the lightweight he so obviously is. But now we are in sight of a Reaganesque landslide. It’s just around the corner. Can you see it, Chrissy? Can you see it, Katie? And it is all because of one brilliant, daring, & inspired pick that nobody saw coming. Wow.

argos on September 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM

She does a great speech – and I’m as much in love with her as anyone else – but I worry about the content of the introduction she gave John McCain here.

There are two reasons. First. the praise she lavishes on John McCain comes perilously close to going over the top – thus damaging both her credibility and his.

The second reason is more general: the recitation of his war record is superflous with respect to those who know, and a campaign negative with respect to those who don’t.

The problem is that the ability to understand what his self discovery in North Vietnam means to him comes only with experience – experience we should be glad most of the audience does not have.

Unfortunately people who don’t understand what fires mold the souls of warriors make up their own explanations for what they hear – and so what the average younger Joe perceives when the campaign hammers on this is an old guy living in the past.

That’s wrong, of course: McCain is trying to tell us who he is, but those who already know, know; and those who don’t, won’t – no matter how many times anyone tells them.

My feeling, therefore, is that the campaign would do better to summarize the early experience in a few sentences and leave it at that – moving on quickly from how his character was formed to how his recent actions with respect to issues average Joe lives with every day show it.

Paul Murphy on September 7, 2008 at 3:48 PM