Palin inexperienced? Not really

posted at 9:15 am on September 6, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Greta van Susteren took a look at the “inexperienced” criticism of Sarah Palin by interviewing people who worked with Palin in Alaska.  She spoke with the current mayor of Wasilla, which is — surprise! — one of the five largest cities in Alaska, and with the commander of the Alaska National Guard.  Greta also gets to the bottom of her battle with oil companies in her state in this lengthy video from Fox News last night:

I especially liked the part with Major General Craig Campbell, who explained that governors are a little more than just figureheads as the C-in-C of National Guard troops. Palin took that task seriously, traveling to Kuwait to check on Alaska’s troops deployed in the war zone shortly after her election and involving herself in planning for their well-being. Campbell also criticizes the national press for reporting incorrectly on the Guard and governors’ roles in running its units. Governor Palin ordered the deployment of the Guard just this past week — to Louisiana, in assistance to the Hurricane Gustav area.

We also find out that Mayor Palin conducted a wedding in an unusual location at the request of the couple. Barack Obama attacks Wal-Mart; Sarah Palin officiated a wedding there.

Update: My friend Jazz gives this a critical look, but in a respectful and rational manner.  Be sure to read it, but I want to focus on his conclusion:

At the end of our analysis, it is clear that Sarah Palin has some, limited experience in matters of governance, and it will be up to each of us to decide if that amounts to a lot or a little. But if you have made your bones in political analysis for months on end leading the call of how inexperienced Barack Obama is, (which I maintain is a fair charge to level against the Democratic nominee) I still find that it requires a rather large pillar of salt to turn around and stake Palin’s claim to being a heartbeat away from the presidency based on her own length and breadth of service.

And since Obama has no experience at all in governance, and since he’s running for the Presidency itself, what exactly does that say for Obama?  He won’t be a heartbeat away from the highest executive office in American politics, he’ll be in the White House if he wins.  Attacking Palin’s “limited” executive experience boomerangs directly on Obama’s complete lack of same.  Also, the longer this goes as a debate between Obama and Palin, the stronger it makes John McCain.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I love it. Wal-Mart wedding… How many people work for Wal-mart? Are they registered to vote? Can we set up a table there?

djl130 on September 6, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Barack Obama attacks Wal-Mart; Sarah Palin officiated a wedding there.

I think what would upset Obama about the the Wal-Mart wedding the most is the fact that it was between a man and a woman, and not two homosexuals.

leetpriest on September 6, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Walmart doesn’t sell arugula do they?

d1carter on September 6, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Teh Cuda

stlpatriot on September 6, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Hummph! Sarah Palin’s qualified huh? How many people has SHE made faint huh? How many women have cried THEIR eyelashes off over Palin?

You’re not a serious contender until you make someone swoon.

GoodBoy on September 6, 2008 at 9:29 AM

The partisan hacks are going to continue to be both partisan and hack no matter what good things we find out about Sarah. I’ve a coworker who got all the heck on my case at our Monday AM department meeting, saying something like “So much for those “conservative” family values, eh?” He was ANGRY. Very angry. I went in to the department office yesterday to see he’d written on the board “Republicans=family values=pregnant teen daughter.”

I was really taken aback at his vitriol.

Bob's Kid on September 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

You’re not a serious contender until you make someone swoon.

GoodBoy on September 6, 2008 at 9:29 AM

As a guy, she has made me swoon. An easy on the eyes woman you can take hunting and not only won’t she complain but she’ll actually help dress the game, dang.

rbj on September 6, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Bob’s Kid on September 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

You should quit that job at CNN! /jk

TheBigOldDog on September 6, 2008 at 9:36 AM

You’re not a serious contender until you make someone swoon.

If that was the case, then Michael Jackson is more qualified than Obama.

m064404 on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

I’ve always thought of Greta as a seedy lawyer who went from chasing ambulances for lawsuits to chasing them for ratings. I guess she’s not all bad.

Bill Scrunty on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

She isn’t qualified to be vice president…obama isn’t qualified to be President. Saying they are is wrong.

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

What’s that? I think I hear Bambi’s numbers dropping again.

AWESOME.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Governor Palin, at the request of Governor Jindal, sent the Alaska Air National Guard’s 176th Wing with a C-17, and two Pavehawk search and rescue helicopters, with crews and support, to Louisiana. No waiting for permission, nor saying “it’s above my pay grade,” no “orders” from the Pentagon or FEMA or the White House. [To be fair, Ohio sent about 1000 National Guard members to the Gulf Coast as well, other non-Gulf Coast states did likewise.]

The point being, this is part of the job being a governor. Just fulfilling the duties as a governor. A routine sort of thing governors do. Part of the experience.

[BTW the 176th operates out of Ted Stevens International in Anchorage. I hope the airport gets a name change...soon.]

coldwarrior on September 6, 2008 at 9:41 AM

like her more and more everyday.

trailortrash on September 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Among too many things that Democrats cannot counter, Palin represents overwhelming competence (dare I say, excellence) in public office.

Their petty witchhunts for parallels to Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, Rezko, partial-birth abortion, and the like are pathetic. If their idiotic attempts weren’t so hurtful and insulting to Palin and her family, we could add that the attempts are comical too. That said, it is hilarious to listen to their pathetic attempts to gin up the next controversy.

BuckeyeSam on September 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM

what ??? A WALMART ??
Unacceptable –

An “average American” dream Lib wedding would be as follows-

You get married at Pottery Barn sipping your Starbucks Latte with guests like Oprah, Madonna and the like

Wright would officiate

Jesse Jackson would help cut something -ah, the cake

Ayers will light some fireworks

Special poetry to be read by P-Diddy

which would then be OK for the Libs

Snobs !!

defendfaithandfamily on September 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM

She helped double the population and literally put Wasilla on the map after Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. Check out the current estimates.

econavenger on September 6, 2008 at 9:47 AM

I was really taken aback at his vitriol.

Bob’s Kid on September 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

They have SO much invested in Obama in this election, and now they’re realizing that they screwed up.

BuckeyeSam on September 6, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Back in 1989, after a 20 year break in service, I joined the California Air National Guard the day before my 40th birthday, (40 being the cut off date for enlisting).

I was with the 129th Air Rescue Wing and had allot of contact with our fellow Air Guard Group up in AK.

That unit was one of the best, well trained highly motivated groups in the Nation. They are also a Rescue Wing.

Having Gov. Palin as their C&C must have been awe inspiring for them.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 6, 2008 at 9:48 AM

If that was the case, then Michael Jackson is more qualified than Obama.

m064404 on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

AND you get Jesus juice!!

GoodBoy on September 6, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Wal-Mart has been our favorite store for many years, & I have worked there for a few months now. Is BO saying that my husband & I are part of the problem?

eea on September 6, 2008 at 9:53 AM

According to The Chosen One’s keen insight, Walmart is where embittered (WHITE) people go to buy ammo and new bibles.

GarandFan on September 6, 2008 at 9:54 AM

After the election and McCain and Palin are sworn in to office, does Sarah get to stuff and mount Obama and Biden on her trophy room wall?

txdoc on September 6, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Greta is my new favorite Fox anchor. She is doing a hell of a job than any other.

Anita on September 6, 2008 at 9:55 AM

txdoc on September 6, 2008 at 9:55 AM

The best part is, the suit is already empty.

BKennedy on September 6, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I had to laugh at that ridiculous article on Yahoo’s website that claimed to “fact check” Palin’s experience. It said, among other things, that she never deployed the National Guard, and essentially flip-flopped on several pieces of legislation.

What was pathetic about the article is that most of it appeared to be Democrat talking points, and not a fair discussion of Palin’s qualifications. The MSM is a shameful liberal outfit, and the public is noticing it more and more and is tiring of it too.

Richard Romano on September 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Wow. That entire video is a huge endorsement of Governor Palin.

Obama can’t compete with that. There are no regular people or people that Obama has worked with who can make similar remarks about Obama. Reason? The guy has never done anything but run to propel himself further up the political ladder. The only person Obama has helped is himself.

And the Wal-Mart wedding thing. One could not buy better publicity. That anecdote involving Palin will be passed on and on and on to everyone in America.

albill on September 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Which of the four candidates is qualified?

Johan Klaus on September 6, 2008 at 10:00 AM

So Tomas, please tell us, what kind of experience is needed to be president?

And Goodboy, she must be a serious contender then, because she makes me swoon.

thekingtut on September 6, 2008 at 10:02 AM

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Tomas, I just checked the poster-sized copy of the Constitution we have tacked up in one of our bathrooms (seriously) and as far as I can tell, both Obama and Palin are qualified to be Prez and VP.

mjtyson on September 6, 2008 at 10:02 AM

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Just out of interest.. “what” qualifies them Tomas?

I am not speaking out here for Obama, please don’t misunderstand me, but are you suggesting we turn to the European elitist method?

I suggest you get educated as to what the great Founders of our Country really wanted.

I suggest you lose this Meme. It is stupid, silly and trite and really should be buried at this point.

Noelie on September 6, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Wow. That is a fantastic piece. The McCain camp must be ecstatic. Especially the National Guard commander. Even I feel better about Gov. Palin now.

The more the Enquirer and other media outlets try to portray this woman as a dumb white trash baby factory, the dumber they are going to look.

I also think it is worth mentioning that Tony Knowles was considerd a rising star in the Democratic Party before Gov. Palin beat him in 2006. Dems thought he was going to win that election going away, and I think it is fair to say that Knowles would have been on the short list for VP for the Democrats this year. He almost certainly would have beaten Frank Murkowski. Dems did not have a problem promoting a candidate for national office from Alaska, until that candidate was a Republican and a female.

Gov. Palin was one of the very few Republicans – maybe even the only one, I haven’t researched it -who won a statewide race for an open seat in 2006. It was a Democratic year with a huge headwind against all Republicans, yet Sarah Palain was elected, and by a pretty substantial margin. The woman is impressive as a politician, there can be no doubt about that.

rockmom on September 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Maj Gen Campbell’s an idiot who should be the next one she fires. If he doesn’t know or can’t explain the role of the Alaska Guard and it’s governor in the State Partnership Program with Mongolia (you know, that country that lies between two little ol nations called China and Russia), he needs to go. The SPP is run by the National Guard Bureau with the state, local combatant commander and the host nation. He knows better and is trying to tank her, I think.

rotorhead on September 6, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Don’t forget to set your TIVOs.

Buy Danish on September 6, 2008 at 10:07 AM

plain people (some might even say, “clean and articulate”) … obama is toast

Ganoush on September 6, 2008 at 10:09 AM

rotorhead on September 6, 2008 at 10:07 AM

A little more on Gen. Campbell’s background here.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 6, 2008 at 10:16 AM

I was really taken aback at his vitriol.

Bob’s Kid on September 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Democrats=family values=murder unborn children
Democrats=family values=Daddy has a girl friend
Democrats=family values=Mommy hates America

bill30097 on September 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM

So you suppose that Bobby Jibdal will be her running mate.

Tommy_G on September 6, 2008 at 10:18 AM

No bill30097, it’s Democrats=family values=Daddy has a boy friend.

thekingtut on September 6, 2008 at 10:20 AM

rotorhead on September 6, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Were you referring to this from the HufPo gang.

“Maj. Gen. Craig Campbell, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard, considers Palin “extremely responsive and smart” and says she is in charge when it comes to in-state services, such as emergencies and natural disasters where the National Guard is the first responder.

But, in an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, he said he and Palin play no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard. The entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations”.

Just curious is all.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 6, 2008 at 10:22 AM

OK, I finally got to watch the video, and it just makes me miss Alaska more.

One thing to point out about the wedding. An interesting thing about Alaska is that anyone can preside over a wedding. All you have to do as a couple, is get paperwork from the city hall, and the person of your choice can marry you. This is, I think, a unique thing about Alaska, born of the frontier days. While I was stationed there, many young couples would have fun with who they picked to do the ceremony. I think it is very telling of Sarah Palin, and Alaskans in general, that she made the time to do that.

As to her experience as Governor. I must add that Alaska is very close with Russia, Japan and Canada. In the four years I was stationed there, the state hosted innumberable (sp?) military and civilian visits from these three countries. Russia, Canada and the US held exercises annually, and yes the AK Guard took part. To say that Sarah Palin isn’t qualified to be VP or P, discounts this foreign relations experience of hers.

mjtyson on September 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Saying “one of the five largest cities in Alaska, and with the commander of the Alaska National Guard” along with the idea that if Alaska was a country is would be the 19th largest nation in the world and borders big, bad Russia is a bit of a sophist argument.
We should not go down that route becuase it will be shot down.

RobCon on September 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I swear Piper Palin is going to win the election for the Republicans. I don’t know where the video at the beginning of the clip was filmed but Piper was wearing a tiara. You have to love a mom willing to risk the critics for proper dress and behavior of children in public and let the child have fun. It is adorable.

Cindy Munford on September 6, 2008 at 10:27 AM

GoodBoy on September 6, 2008 at 9:29 AM

There is this tingling going up my leg…does that count?

Static21 on September 6, 2008 at 10:31 AM

mjtyson on September 6, 2008 at 10:02 AM

There Ed. Now do you see?

JiangxiDad on September 6, 2008 at 10:32 AM

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Yawn… To quote:

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States.

Ummm which section of article 2 section 1 do either not comply with? Thanks for playing…

Dawnsblood on September 6, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Well of course Governors have no control over their troops when they are called up for national defense. But if you think she, or any other governor, is not briefed on what and how their guys are doing, you’re mistaken. So far in my 22-year career, I’ve been deployed and many times have witnessed official visits by state governors who were coming over to see their guys. And guess what. THEY GOT THE MISSION BRIEF.

mjtyson on September 6, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Me too.

Spirit of 1776 on September 6, 2008 at 10:38 AM

When has Obama ever been a consensus builder?

Obama is rated the #1 MOST Liberal Senator out of 100

Biden is rated the #3 Most Liberal Senator out of 100

come on..

Chakra Hammer on September 6, 2008 at 10:41 AM

He was ANGRY. Very angry. I went in to the department office yesterday to see he’d written on the board “Republicans=family values=pregnant teen daughter.” I was really taken aback at his vitriol. Bob’s Kid on September 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Something similar happened to me at work. I’m a teacher. One of the other teachers just started to go off the day after the Palin speech. He called her a silver tongued liar and said that I and all other Republicans are stupid for supporting her. I was flummoxed by his anger but didn’t respond in kind.

The Dhimmicrats are horribly upset and angry about her nomination. They know that she’s a game changer.

Mojave Mark on September 6, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Dawnsblood on September 6, 2008 at 10:33 AM –

That reference you cited, that is so out of date.

The newest writing, and update, of that aged literary work now reads:

“No person, person defined according to evolving penumbras and emanations, having been duly selected by the MSM, being a Harvard graduate, or Yale or Princeton, if an Ivy League graduate cannot be found, in rare exceptions, possessing a degree from a lower university, living in the United States, but being shown to have the adoration and support of the Europeans and also the oppressed masses abroad, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, to include the necessary deference to It being a living document, or sometime after such adoption, adoption being an old fashioned notion, shall be generally eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States, but, having been duly experienced as a “community organizer” or political professional, and possessed of appropriate liberal and socialist leanings.”

That “Constitution” you guys keep talking about like it is some sort of sacred thing has to keep up with the standards and political leanings of these progressive times.

C’mon, Dawnsblood, get with the times! People keep bringing up references and documents that are so old and tired. Jeeez, can you come up with something better?

:-)

coldwarrior on September 6, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Don’t forget that the Alaska NG has other duties:

Alaska is the first line of defense in our missile interceptor defense system. The 49th Missile Defense Battalion of the Alaska National Guard is the unit that protects the entire nation from ballistic missile attacks. It’s on permanent active duty, unlike other Guard units.

As governor of Alaska, Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues, homeland security, and counterterrorism. Her exposure to classified material may rival even Biden’s.

She’s also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security’s counterterrorism plans.

Gov. Palin is much more qualified than Biden or Obama. A lot of the MSM says that Biden has more experience in foreign affairs, but that doesn’t count if he’s always wrong.

bobsunshine on September 6, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Goodadday: you have to remember that AP stands for AntiAmerican Propagandists. I am sure that they deliberately misquoted the Lt General. He made the same statement in the film (most times governors aren’t involved in the Nat Guard but Palin was), so they include the first part of the statement in their lying attempt to undermine Gov Palin, but exclude the second part of the Lt General’s statement (because it’s a ‘distraction’ to the Obamanation being elected).

eaglewingz08 on September 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM

“A lot of the MSM says that Biden has more experience in foreign affairs”

bobsunshine on September 6, 2008 at 10:53 AM –

Thomas Sowell has a few comments about “foreign policy experience”. Worth reading.

coldwarrior on September 6, 2008 at 11:00 AM

You stupid libs have no idea what was unleashed on September 3. You morons are tundra rats…she is the Arctic Fox. Prepare to be consumed.

ManlyRash on September 6, 2008 at 11:01 AM

1GooDDaDDy on September 6, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Hey GoodDaddy-I am active duty Air Force, so I am not very learned w/ the Air NG, but will be deploying w/ NG units to Iraq next month. Under Title 32 status, The Governor of a state has full command & Control of his/her national guard units. The President under Title 10 which trumps Title 32, has the ability/power to call up said forces under the guise of national security. Like I said I am not that familiar w/ the NG, but this is my understanding. Please, anyone chime in if I am mistaken..

Static21 on September 6, 2008 at 11:03 AM

RobCon on September 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Agreed. It’s a very weak point and should be dropped.

ManlyRash on September 6, 2008 at 11:04 AM

bill30097 on September 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Democrats = Obama = Raising taxes & killing babies

Republicans = Palin = Killing taxes and raising babies

’nuff said.

ManlyRash on September 6, 2008 at 11:06 AM

coldwarrior on September 6, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Ah, the living document that bends with the times.

Cindy Munford on September 6, 2008 at 11:06 AM

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Talking point tool.

ManlyRash on September 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Lower taxes, and Palin too

indythinker on September 6, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Static21 on September 6, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Sorry, I wasn’t on the JAG side of the house but just a lowly “Combat Photographer”.

You bring up a good ??? though.

Anyone got the answer?

P.S. Safe landings in all that you do “Over There” my friend. God bless you and your comrades.

Semper Fi

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 6, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I know some Combat Photographers when I was stationed at CharlestonAFB, SC-everyone should know that job IS NOT lowly!! Right on the front-lines stuff-my hat’s off to you!! I am in AF Intel..way off the front lines…but, necessary and very important..thanks for the very kind words, GoodDaddy!!

Static21 on September 6, 2008 at 11:25 AM

You’re not a serious contender until you make someone swoon.

GoodBoy on September 6, 2008 at 9:29 AM

pfft, she looks good in a ponytail, let’s see Oboy top that!

;)

aikidoka on September 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM

What most interests me is hearing that she took her job seriously and was a quick study. The General did a good job of talking her up.

Nice to see some positive interviews. I expect on MSNBC they will interview Alaskan Republicans who hate her (and fail to point out the interviewees are speaking on prison payphones).

zmrzlina on September 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

What are your qualifications…that they be a senator,with 9% approval rating?
You can’t go overseas and conduct foreign policy without being a Washington insider….so you think a Washington insider qualifies you?
Just what qualifications; that you can lead, that you have knowledge of military operations, that you understand government budgets, you have a high approval ratings from both sides of the aisle, that you don’t buckle to the status-quo, you aren’t afraid of taking on your party when things are going “right”, you understand and have vast knowledge of energy, you live and work with the common person, you have run a business…
Or do you think just showing up for votes and getting re-elected to a senate seat is enough.
Tell us Tomas, what are your standards of a VP…

right2bright on September 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM

It’s a shame I can’t vote in your election. I am completely besotted with her, I think she’s great.

If you’re interested on international coverage of her, this is from today’s Sydney Morning Herald:

Even at a distance of 13,500 kilometres, Governor Sarah Palin has a remarkable effect on the conservative male.
After the live broadcast of Palin’s convention speech on Thursday, Parliament’s corridors in Canberra were full of slightly flushed, giggly Coalition blokes who could speak of little else.

“Bring on Sarah Palin,” hollered an excited Joe Hockey during question time in Canberra on Thursday, clearly pining for Alaska as he endured an eight-minute prime ministerial lecture on matters budgetary.

(Of course, Joe Hockey has an understandably deep historical connection with “hockey mums” – he was raised by one.)

cyclosarin on September 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM

bobsunshine on September 6, 2008 at 10:53 AM

The only way to get that experience is being a senator or cabinet position.
That’s the catch-22…

right2bright on September 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM

cyclosarin on September 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I’ve always loved the Australians and I am grateful that Australia has always been a friend to the United States.

Thank you, Cyclosarin, for your kind words.

ManlyRash on September 6, 2008 at 11:55 AM

1GooDDaDDy on September 6, 2008 at 11:18 AM –

My youngest son, just re-enlisted, is a Marine combat photographer. Stands up when others hunker down, is the way he puts it. Nothing lowly about that. As a Dad, it worries the daylights out of me.

Static21 on September 6, 2008 at 11:03 AM –

The National Guard is commanded by the governor (of each state and territory), through the state Adjutant General. The governor can call the National Guard into action during local or statewide emergencies, such as storms, fires, earthquakes or civil disturbances, and coordinate with other governors for the dispatch of Guard forces to requesting states.

The President of the United States can activate the National Guard for participation in federal missions. When federalized, Guard units are commanded by the Combatant Commander of the theater in which they are operating.

Funding comes from the federal government. In state missions the governor can allocate funds from the State National Guard budget for these various missions.

Troops strength is controlled by the National Guard Bureau [Pentagon] and the SecDef. Equipment is provided by the National Guard Bureau [Pentagon] and controlled by the SecDef.

Since the 1980′s, the National Guard has integrated into the Active Military, with Guard units specifically designed to provide essential services…air defense, medical, engineer, airlift, and the like, in which many Guard units are on active-status routinely, and for months or more at a time. Aerial refueling and airlift units, for example, are an essential daily part of the overall US military matrix. In Alaska, as an example, the Guard air defense battalion is constantly on active duty, part of USSPACECOM, and Air Guard units sortie routinely in response to intrusions into American air space. Real world mission. Live mission.

This isn’t our grandfather’s National Guard anymore.

coldwarrior on September 6, 2008 at 11:55 AM

ANother paragraph from that SMH article, for those who can’t be bothered clicking, this is from p.2 of the article

(You need to remember in Australia, the word ‘Liberal’ still has its original, 19th century meaning, small government and individual freedom, thus the MP quoted is a conservative, not what you in the ‘States call a liberal.):

The Liberal MP, Tony Abbott, for the record, admits that he finds Palin “electrifying”, and likens her to Thatcher.

But he bridles at the suggestion that her gender has anything to do with the piquancy of her appeal.

“I think you might be suggesting that men are incapable of taking a female politician seriously,” he says.

“We, conservatives, are always thrilled to find people who are not, if you like, the usual suspects. She’s an attractive woman. But the fact that she is an attractive woman is no more significant than the fact that Barack Obama is a handsome man.”

The thing that makes Sarah Palin so fascinating is not so very different from what makes Obama fascinating.

Palin is a Republican fantasy candidate – mother of five, pro-life, brilliant speaker, gorgeous and a good shot. In exactly the same way, Barack Obama is a fantasy Democrat candidate: family man, brilliant orator, he grew up poor, he’s lawlessly educated and he’s black for good measure.

For all the bickering about records and experience, these two are pretty evenly placed – nobodies, who came from nowhere, armed with little more than striking life stories and an amazing ability to fire the imagination.

cyclosarin on September 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Don’t forget that GVS’s husband just publically endorsed McCain and is drumming up other Democrat support for her. I guess Greta is just doing her part. I cannot wait to watch the one-hour show on Sarah Palin she is putting together to air tonight.

HawaiiLwyr on September 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM

“Republicans=family values=pregnant teen daughter.”

Bob’s Kid on September 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Might I suggest adding the following?

“Republicans=family values=pregnant teen daughter=love, forgiveness, understanding, and support=Liberal Democrat ????.”

Let him fill in the blank. Should be interesting.

Marking Time on September 6, 2008 at 12:14 PM

mjtyson on September 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Wow, I didn’t know that about marriages in Alaska. That makes the woman’s cheerful and simple answer “Of course she did” in response to Greta’s “did she marry a couple in a Wal-Mart” even better.

Not only did she make the time for them (and they chose to ask her), but she didn’t wrinkle her nose at Wal-Mart, and no one THERE is embarrassed about it (“of course she did”).

inviolet on September 6, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Thump…, Thump.., Thump…

ANUTH-AH MEME BITES THE DUST !

Thump…, Thump.., Thump…

ANUTH-AH MEME BITES THE DUST !

AN’ ANUVVA ONE GONE, ANUVVA ONE GONE, ANUTH-AH ONE BITES THE DUST..!

HEY, WHAZ DA PRESS GONNA DO, ANUVVA ONE BITES THE DUST?!

As opposed to O! , whose song would go more like; “ANUVVA ONE UNDER THE BUS..!

RocketmanBob on September 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM

tomas on September 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM

For the sake of argument, let’s say we all agree that neither one of them is qualified. Which, then, would you rather have? An unqualified president, or an unqualified vice president? One of them will be elected.

aero on September 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM

cyclosarin on September 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Thanks again. I look forward to see more reports from you on how our Australian friends view the Arctic Fox.

ManlyRash on September 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM

cyclosarin on September 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I think that the next step is to get people to realize that Govener Palin has actually made progress in her efforts to make things better…whereas, so far Obama talks a good game but has no record of accomplishing anything for anyone other than himself. Two autobiographies, no laws, no record of putting other’s first.

petunia on September 6, 2008 at 12:47 PM

aero on September 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Totally see and respect where you’re going, but I’m not willing to cede that point even for the sake of argument. Many liberals simply are not playing fair with the arguments and I’m not for giving them any ammunition they can twist to their advantage.

Sarah Palin is qualified to be Vice President. Biden is qualified to be Vice President. McCain is qualified to be President. Obama is NOT qualified to be President.

inviolet on September 6, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Mojave Mark on September 6, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I have a black male friend who is also a teacher. He does not like Obama. He says at first other teachers were like, Oh you must be so proud… He was really insulted at the insinuation that he had to support Obama. Now he says he has become a pariah at his school because of his McCain support. (He is also former military).

petunia on September 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM

petunia on September 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I LOVE this racist assumption: not only do they assume that every African-American must be for Obama, but instead of some adjective like “pleased” they choose to say “proud.” Why don’t they just come out and say it: “Oh, that Obama’s a credit to your race, isn’t he?” Racists.

Jesus’ words “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks” seems to be proven true all over the mapin this election.

inviolet on September 6, 2008 at 1:06 PM

I work for a female Republican governor and I can tell you, governors have a serious responsibility when it comes to their Guard command. My governor goes to every deployment ceremony and every return ceremony and every funeral for service members killed in the war. That’s a very different role than a senator’s. It brings the role of Commander in Chief very much to the fore.

jnelchef on September 6, 2008 at 1:24 PM

I love how liberals said this would take McCain’s experience attack “off the table,” but then Senator Obama is too stupid to stop mentioning it.

daryl_herbert on September 6, 2008 at 1:37 PM

This a.m. on Fox, the pro-Obama guest…dang, I forget his name…mark something…a professor, said Palin was the mayor of “Mayberry” And it’s not hard to have an 80% approval rating when you’re in a town of 100.

They’re not giving it up on the small-town smears, to their peril.

nyrofan on September 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM

nyrofan on September 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM –

From their words and their body language, they think they are being cute…but, at no cost at all to the GOP campaign they are driving more and more voters to McCain/Palin. The thousands of “Mayberry’s” out across America are getting a bit tired of these elitists using us as a comic prop.

We, the rubes, are running circles around them.

coldwarrior on September 6, 2008 at 1:43 PM

There is a very easy way to settle this argument.

First, Obama has CinC experience. As a community organizer he has deployed 100 protester to picket government agencies like the mayors office and city council people.

Take that, Mayor of Wasilly!

Next:

None of it matters anyway. Obama is running for King of America. Joe Biden will be President. This way we can be more like Europe.

Damiano on September 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Did anybody notice that this segment is pretty much the first actual REPORTING that’s been done about Sarah Palin?

Plenty of rumor-mongering about her. But it’s all been second-hand. Governor Palin has an 85% approval rating but, somehow, she’s personally a monster with a train-wreck of a family life; and it seems like all the ‘anonymous Alaskans’ every other news agency have been able to find hate her freakin’ guts. What are the odds of that?

logis on September 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Let’s see-

Limited experience a heartbeat away from the Presidency

Versus

Absolutely NO experience AS the heartbeat of the Presidency

hmmmmmmmmmmm

….yes that is a toughie………..

FiveWays on September 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM

They’re not giving it up on the small-town smears, to their peril.

nyrofan on September 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Oh yeah baby- camp ChicagObama needs to run with that theme!

Look for The Sarah-cuda to bring that little gem up in the VP debates-

…not to mention this will make a nice little sound bite for countless ads…..sweeeeeet……..

McCain/Palin ’08!

FiveWays on September 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM

The lack of foreign policy experience claim is brushed aside by the Democrats without any substance. As the only state that borders two countries (Russia and Canada) the Governor of Alaska has to be aware of how these countries will respond to economic, political, and military activities. Remember the dust up with Canada when Obama pledged to end NAFTA. (At least he knew enough to send a representative to Canada to say that he really wouldn’t do anything, it was just campaign speech.) Intelligence briefings, deployments, border disputes, these are situations that Senators do not actually deal with. The more the experience issue is examined and reviewed, the worse Obama looks when compared to McCain and Palin.

jerseyman on September 6, 2008 at 3:05 PM

The most interesting issue of this campaign is: when was the last time a Presidential VP was running against the opposing party’s Presidential candidate? (With favorable results.) This discussion can not be good for Obama.

jerseyman on September 6, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I haven’t read the thread yet, but in case someone hasn’t mentioned it, Greta’s husband was a big muckity muck in Hillary’s campaign. He even traveled with Hillary, Bill and Chelsea.

He is now working for John McCain.

That was a great interview.

kakypat on September 6, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I’ve been saying since it became apparent that Obama would be the nominee that we should be talking about accomplishments, not experience. Obama talks a lot about things he would like to do, but he never actually does them. Palin has been Governor for about the same amount of time that Obama has been in the Senate, but she’s got a whole lot more to show for it.

Eukardios on September 6, 2008 at 3:54 PM