Guy who requested $740 million in earmarks on Palin: You can’t really be for change if you’re pro-earmark

posted at 3:58 pm on September 6, 2008 by Allahpundit

Indeed. To truly represent change, you have to request earmarks for your wife’s employer.

I was hoping against hope that he’d come after her on this point. And now, my dream’s come true.

Obama then went point by point through education, tax policy, energy policy and health care telling voters why McCain’s version of change is not change like the kind he will bring.

Obama then opened up rare criticism on VP nominee Sarah Palin, “I know the governor of Alaska has been, you know, saying she is change. And that is great. She is a skillful politician. But when you been taking all these earmarks when it is convenient and then suddenly you are the champion anti-earmark person. That is not change, come on. I mean, words mean something. You can’t just make stuff up. You can’t just make stuff up. We have a choice to make and the choice is clear.”

She’s not the “champion anti-earmark person,” Barry. McCain is. The ball having been placed on the tee, Team Maverick swings away:

Barack Obama has requested the equivalent of one million dollars in new pork barrel spending for every working day he’s been in the U.S Senate, while John McCain has never once asked for an earmark, and Governor Palin has vetoed hundreds of millions in government spending including killing the infamous “bridge to nowhere”. Just like so many other issues Barack Obama is all talk, has no record to back it up and isn’t ready to make change. — Tucker Bounds, spokesman McCain-Palin 2008

This makes two prominent examples of Palin’s own political liabilities leaving The One in no position to criticize. Serious exit question: Am I missing something or is he actually suggesting that opposing earmarks after initially taking them is more grievously offensive to Change than the pork parade he’s been running for his cronies and bundlers ? Because if he is, if he thinks opportunistically changing one’s mind about earmarks for political gain is some kind of cardinal sin, then this critique is even more gloriously nuanced than we thought.

Comments

Allahpundit, just keep wishing with that mind of yours. Apparently it works.

aikidoka on September 6, 2008 at 5:55 PM

My wife, who is a moderate said to me the other day, “I’m just so sick of hearing ObamUH’s voice.” I laughed hard.

His diction is the same on every freaking sentence. He draws out the first word then drops in tone the last part of the sentence.

How many times have we heard him say, “Theeey’re gonna tellya….”

Man, the repetition is annoying to say the least.

Whoever said ObamUH is a great speaker has to just be a Kool-Aid guzzlin’ liberal because he is NOT a great speaker; he’s merely an average one in my book.

And this Dem ticket is in full blown meltdown mode. It’s about time, because those two in the White House with this Congress would be a disaster for this country.

McCain is the moderate in this election and I just hope the undecideds in the battleground states can see this.

Metro on September 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM

My God, the ads just write themselves.

And I am almost getting tired of typing that!

rockmom on September 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Desperate times call for desperate measures, lies, false accusations, self-centeredness, forgetulness, sexism, coordinated attacks, smear campaign, deploying shock troops to find dirt that does not exist, and denial.

madmonkphotog on September 6, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Hugh Hewitt said yesterday on his radio show that the Dems are reeling right now but expect them to regroup and attack again. Let’s put the boot on the throat and keep ’em down as long as possible. Ed – Allah. Thanks and keep it up!

Mr_Magoo on September 6, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Metro on September 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM

I’m no expert, but I suspect his brain is evaluating everything that is about to come out of his mouth. It has to internally check what he said previously for possible contradictions. One of my sister-in-laws ended up in meltdown mode because she told so many lies she couldn’t keep track of them all.

Or he could just be a poor speaker without the teleprompter.

Mr_Magoo on September 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM

He should be aiming for McCain, not Palin. But like a poor marksman, he keeps missing the target.

itzWicks on September 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Barry O can’t go after McCain on earmarks, because McCain is on the side of the angels on this issue, and has been for many years.

Barry O talks about the need to stop corrupt practices like earmarks — even as he lines the pockets of his supporters (and his wife’s employer) with millions of taxpayer dollars.

McCain doesn’t just talk about getting rid of earmarks, he refuses to take them and he tries to get other legislators to do the same. McCain’s past political opponents here in Arizona have tried (unsuccessfully) to use this against him. They campaign against him by arguing that McCain fails to “bring home Arizona’s fair share” of pork.

So who’s the real reformer? The guy who gives pretty speeches about the need for reform while engaging in the same corrupt politics as usual, or the guy who actually takes political risks to bring about reform?

AZCoyote on September 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM

And you cannot really be for “change” when you bring out the hag, shills from the Left either. LOL! So, he of THE MANCHILD status has now asked for all the Memes, (Hillary, Claire, Kathleen, et al), to come out and take up for their little boy! If HE thinks THEY are going to CHANGE the tides, then HE is really “All Shook Up”! How old and haggish are these women going to look when they go on the attack? I thought he was suppose to have MESSIAH like qualities and could heal the planet; so why is he bringing out these so called women? This type of “change” in the game is going to make the 45 and younger crowd of females really ticked. And when they do not succeed then they too will be thrown under that bus where the wheels are indeed coming off!

Has anyone heard them endorse the line item veto? The reason I ask is because if they want to really hit the earmarks, they are going to need a line item veto.

freeus on September 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Or he could just be a poor speaker without the teleprompter.

Mr_Magoo on September 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Exactly I have a series of posts here on Barack on a “Civillian National Security Force” he said he wanted on July 2d.

There is a YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df2p6867_pw

at minutes 16, 23 he is very foreceful no stammering and quite spooky….

he has NOT repeated this in this way and had references to it scrubbed from transcripts….

Now we KNOW what he sounds like when he goes off-prompter or off the cuff….

I think he has to mentally scrub everything he says three times to make sure he does not sound too radical, tell the truth about his vision, and contradict himself…..

a lot of people like to act like he is affectating a professorial tone….and I mostly agree but there are times….where I wonder.

sven10077 on September 6, 2008 at 6:22 PM

back to you keith.

mbrans on September 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I sincerely hope that someone has captured the audio/video of the “you can’t just make stuff up” line in order to play that against the list of all that has just been made up in the last week about the Governor (not her child, banned book list, etc.)

CourtZero on September 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM

He’s never had a contest before. His words have always been met by eager believing ears in his district and state. He’s never had to defend his ideas, even during this primary.

Now he does and his faulty logic and circular reasoning addressed and rebutted and can be seen for what it is — idiotic, retarded and moronic.

Obama is going to lose big time. This could be a 50 stater.

Dusty on September 6, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Classic. I suspect Rove.

Mr_Magoo on September 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Middle-aged guy? Balding? Magnificent bastard? I think you may be on to something…

tgibson1962 on September 6, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Palin has worked that McCain team response into her speech already. haha

aikidoka on September 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I wish Team Obama would stop flip flopping… is this or is this not an election about Sarah Palin? One Obama rep is quick to criticize here while another is quick to point out this isn’t an election about the VP.

And they want to run the country?

cannonball on September 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Sarah smacked Obama for this in her speech in Albuquerque, NM. Can we have the video please? Allah, you’are too lazy.

promachus on September 7, 2008 at 12:40 AM

cannonball on September 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM

You see in all this hoopla, nobody is talking about Joe Biden. Obama has probably realised what a deadbeat he has picked up and is running both for president and the vice-president.

One thing is for sure, Sarah has dispatched Joe Biden and now the Team is going after the One.

promachus on September 7, 2008 at 12:45 AM

I never got the whole “great speaker” thing, my earliest recollection of Obama was that he was a bumbling idiot.

How about “You can’t really be President if you’re a bumbling idiot?” How does that work for ya, Mr. O?

Merovign on September 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM

With Obama engaging in warfare with his peer Palin, and Biden hors de combat, that leaves McCain free to talk up his own agenda unopposed.

This election is turning out to be quite interesting. Maybe this anointed one isn’t, just like the last one wasn’t.

unclesmrgol on September 7, 2008 at 2:55 AM

Every four years it’s: Don’t step in the nuance.

I need a new pair of nuance boots as the last pair have corroded clean through just in the D primaries.

ajacksonian on September 7, 2008 at 8:27 AM

How presumptuous of The Anointed One. Ever hear of a lil’ ol’ nuance called an election?

Steve Z on September 7, 2008 at 10:00 AM