Panicky Messiah turns for help to the only woman who can save America from Palinmania

posted at 12:49 pm on September 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Thus is the final battle joined.

Or is it?

Senator Barack Obama will increasingly lean on prominent Democratic women to undercut Gov. Sarah Palin and Senator John McCain, dispatching Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton to Florida on Monday and bolstering his plan to deploy female surrogates to battleground states, Obama advisers said Thursday…

Obama aides said they were counting on not only Mrs. Clinton but also Democratic female governors to rebut Ms. Palin — and, by extension, Mr. McCain. Those governors include Janet Napolitano of Arizona and Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas…

“What McCain has done with Governor Palin’s nomination is aim right at a demographic that Obama needs to address quickly: noncollege-educated women,” said Mike McCurry, a former spokesman in the Clinton White House. “They need to maximize Biden’s ability to reach out to them, but at the end of the day, it is Obama who has to get that very, very critical group.”…

Advisers to Mrs. Clinton said that she stood ready to help the Obama-Biden ticket, but they urged the campaign not to overestimate the impact Mrs. Clinton could have, noting that she had other commitments this fall, like campaigning and raising money for Senate candidates.

The CW after Palin’s speech was that Hillary’s the big loser because there’s another prominent woman around to usurp her throne. Just the opposite: Now Her Majesty gets to play kingmaker by dispensing her gender cache to whatever greater or lesser extent she sees fit to counter Palin. Obama’s at her mercy. Either McCain wins and finishes off Obama’s presidential ambitions, clearing the way for her in 2012, or else Obama wins with Hillary’s stature as feminist pope bolstered by having helped keep the sisterhood in the fold. The problem with the second strategy is that if she hits the trail in earnest and McCain wins anyway, it’ll be taken as evidence that her moment with women has passed. Better to sit back, half-ass it, and let the media decide later that she wasn’t really trying so that the thought of her deploying her army of women in 2012 still strikes terror into the GOP’s heart. Which, it sounds like, is what she’s going to do.

Incidentally, am I mistaken or wasn’t the left very indignant indeed last week that McCain would stoop to playing identity politics with women’s votes? And yet here we are, with the Light and the Way set to roll out an army of surrogates to counter Palin, all of whom coincidentally happen to be female. The Times actually played up that fact in its original headline for this story, before surreptitiously changing it sometime last night to make it sound less cynical and damaging to Obama. Althouse caught them in the act. Exit question: How many progressive Obama supporters at the Florida rally will greet Hillary wearing “Bros Before Hos” t-shirts?

Update: Here’s how flat-flooted Team Barry’s been caught: They’re apparently still pushing the Eagleton meme.

Comments

““Oh no yo dinn’t! Don’t tell me y’all even thinkin’ of that woman gettin’ within a mile of your sorry a**! Uh uh, don’t ’sweetie” me! Nuh uh. Don’t even go there!!”
As Barrack slinks away with his soggy bowl of Fruity Pebbles.”

tries to catch breath — fails the first couple times

Buckaroo on September 5, 2008 at 1:58 PM

(High-speed Exit Question: Just exactly how does Michelle feel about her man turning to another woman for help?)

Arbalest on September 5, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I sense a disturbance….

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on September 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

What if a REPUB made a desperation move like this??

Answer: The MSM would KILL him/her. KILL. 24/7.

ex-Democrat on September 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

There isn’t much to be gained from Hill’s perspective in helping BO other than a guarantee to pay off her debt. I’m not sure how much help she would actually be at this point.

My guess is that she’ll make a couple of half-assed appearances, and Bill will suddenly develop some sort of serious, but not deadly, medical condition that will require her constant attention.

Cody1991 on September 5, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Priapism?

“Show me yer cankles hun”
“Yep. That fixed it”

LimeyGeek on September 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Obama stands behing Hillary with his giant hands on her shoulders and whispers in her ear:

Xerxes Obama: But I am a generous god. I can make you rich beyond all measure. I will make you warlord of all Greece America. You will carry my battle standard to the heart of Europa. Your Athenian Republican rivals will kneel at your feet if you will but kneel at mine.
King Leonidas Hillary: You are generous as you are divine, O king of kings. Such an offer only a madwoman would refuse. But the, uh, the idea of kneeling, it’s- You see, slaughtering all those men Obamatons of yours has, uh, well it’s left a nasty cramp in my leg, so kneeling will be hard for me.

Mr_Magoo on September 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM

She could have helped his campaign as VP more than as gopher. D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-I-O-N.

Akzed on September 5, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Enjoy it Hillary!

Agent of the Cross on September 5, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Excuse me, but who would want to look at or listen to any of the battle axe Democrat women when any one of our Republican babes are on the stage???

/politically_incorrect>

landlines on September 5, 2008 at 2:05 PM

McCain needs an Arnold ad somehow tastefully pointing to Obama engaging in identity politics…and then calling Obama a girly man!

Too much?

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2008 at 2:07 PM

The more I think about these desperation tactics the more futile they seem.

Why would Hillary supporters bother to vote for BO? If I were one of those women, I would sit this one out and wait for Hill to crawl out of the swamp again in 2012.

Anyway, it’s fun to watch the Dems in a dither while the rest of us seem satisfied, happy, united and ready to get on with the campaign.

Cody1991 on September 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I live in Arizona … and using Gov Janet Napolitano of Arizona to counter Sarah Palin is laughable. This truly is a move of ‘desperation’.

In regards to Hillary, I think she may campaign harder for Obama now than she did in her own campaign. She can’t let another woman make history before her. Bill, on the other hand, is probably scheming methods to meet Sarah Palin.

Beckham on September 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I find I share a trait with Senator Obama…. Years ago, I had an aunt and uncle that farmed and sold produce at a stand in Kansas. In the summers I worked on their farm. The trait we seem to share is, the harder the row gets to hoe, the more we sweat….

CC

CapedConservative on September 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I have a question? How do you folks with “significant others” who are not conservatives do it? I am willing to put up with a lot but liberal leanings are not one of them. I notice several people mentioning it in threads and I think it is interesting. They must be outstanding people.

Cindy Munford on September 5, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Cindy Munford on September 5, 2008 at 2:10 PM —

Been divorced 12 years. Problem solved. /s

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Beckham on September 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

disagree…. Hillary could still be the first female PRESIDENT.

Palin being VP is important, but won’t be remembered as much as if Hill is elected Pres.

Romeo13 on September 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM

BTW: what’s the deal on Hillary’s campaign debt? Did she have to eat it? Is it now beyond the point at which Obama can help her raise money?

If, in all events, Obama can no longer do anything for her when he didn’t lift a finger when he could have, she should leave him twisting in the wind.

Better yet, Hillary should contract a 9-week case of fall flu. She can’t make out of bed, except to make a heroic trip to the polls. And all the while, she’ll write her best seller about her campaign.

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM —

Last I heard it was in the neighborhood of $28million, nearly half of that being “loans.”

If I were one of her creditors I’d be sending around the repo guys about now.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Cindy Munford on September 5, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Me? divorced for 15 years… had lots of liberal Girlfreinds… and hmmm… could be the reason I have not remaried…

Romeo13 on September 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Hmmmm…..maybe Barry should have done to help Hillary retire her campaign debt!

cab8505 on September 5, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Yeppers

upinak on September 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Romeo13 on September 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM —

Et tu? Probably the same reason I am still happily single.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Given the fact that listening to Sebelius speak ranks somewhere below “blunt force trauma” as most people’s idea of a good time, I welcome her. Kathleen Sebelius as an antidote to Sarahcuda. Good God.

armyofdog on September 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Cody1991,
“My guess is that she’ll make a couple of half-assed appearances”

Not gonna touch that one.

exhelodrvr on September 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM

And so begins the Hillary for President 2012 Campaign.

Why would Hillary want to help Obama. This sets up great for her. In 2012, she can look at Liberals and state that Obama couldn’t beat McCain in 2008, why do you think he will beat him in 2012. She then gets the Democrat nomination.

PappaMac on September 5, 2008 at 2:23 PM

exhelodrvr on September 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM

That one and another post suggesting that Hillary wear something other than pant suits to campaign for Obama are pretty funny.

Cindy Munford on September 5, 2008 at 2:24 PM

PappaMac on September 5, 2008 at 2:23 PM —

Hillary, the consummate political animal.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:24 PM

They already told women voters what they think of them when they failed to add Hillary Clinton to the ticket. Now they think they’ll win back the women voters by toting a few high-profile female politicians on their campaign’s arm like a high-priced escort at a cocktail party. They don’t trust them with the power, but they come in handy when you need to look good and impress your friends.

Texas Rainmaker on September 5, 2008 at 2:25 PM

From that Ambinder link, a quote from the schlock the Obama camp is sending out:

California Republican Delegates Worried About Palin Pick. California Republican delegates Karen and Robert Bonadio (father and daughter) said they are worried about McCain’s pick for VP. “They like her story a lot . . . But the Bonadios heard that Palin and her family are hunters, actually going out into the countryside to shoot wild creatures that weren’t doing anything to her. That offends the L.A. delegates greatly, and they really don’t want to hear that different parts of the country may have different cultures and views of such things. The Bonadios don’t know that they want such a smalltown person as vice president. And they intend to make that point clear this week if they get another chance to talk with the senator.” [LA Times, 8/31/08]

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

*pause for breath*

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

“…they really don’t want to hear that different parts of the country may have different cultures and views of such things.” I love it. California in a nutshell.

Well-Armed Lamb on September 5, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Hillary doesn’t want to be linked to this effort if it fails, I’m guessing. At least she needs to consider that, if she doesn’t want to be even more a case of damaged goods in 2012.

capitalist piglet on September 5, 2008 at 2:28 PM

“…campaign’s arm like a high-priced escort at a cocktail party…”

Texas Rainmaker on September 5, 2008 at 2:25 PM —

After years in DC I was still amazed at how many Beltway insiders had so many “nieces” visiting Washington for the first time accompanying them to various functions.

Snubbing Hillary for the VP slot pretty much convinced Hillary that currying favor among the Dem House and Seante candidates has a far better payoff for her, and a far better strategy for getting Obama out of the way for 2012.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Well-Armed Lamb on September 5, 2008 at 2:28 PM —

Sounds like these LA morons get their training from Miss South Carolina.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Better [for Hillary Clinton] to sit back, half-ass it, and let the media decide later that she wasn’t really trying so that the thought of her deploying her army of women in 2012 still strikes terror into the GOP’s heart. Which, it sounds like, is what she’s going to do.

And that’s ALL that matters: What is best for Hillary Clinton.

I keep hearing people talking about how Hillary might help or hurt Obama’s strategy — could not possibly be less relevant.

logis on September 5, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Et tu? Probably the same reason I am still happily single.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Yep…. and got a HOT date tonight with a 44 year old Cougar…

Life is good…. LOL…

Romeo13 on September 5, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Yep…. and got a HOT date tonight with a 44 year old Cougar…

Life is good…. LOL…

Romeo13 on September 5, 2008 at 2:31 PM

You got a date with Palin?!! No way!! /s

(My oldest daughter told me after the D that I couldn’t date anyone younger than her. She’s now 34. Life is looking good.)

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Hill is definately in a precarious situation. Obama, Palin, PUMA, Jindal, Bill, unknowns. It’s getting harder and harder for her to carve a straight path to the White House. She may actually have to start running on her qualifications.

Mr_Magoo on September 5, 2008 at 2:34 PM

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Dam, my daughters only 17…. I’d get in trouble… LOL

Romeo13 on September 5, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Every female surrogate Team Obama trots out only reminds Hillary supporters that Team Obama did not even vet Hillary as a potential VP.

Angry Dumbo on September 5, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I just got an E-mail from my corrupt, incompetent clown of a Democrat Congressman, idiot Jim Moran, that he’s going to have Donna Brazile come out to speak to the women in the district.

So they’re mobilizing the kinds of people who will motivate liberal Democrats to vote for a liberal Democrats, how shrewd is that?

NoDonkey on September 5, 2008 at 2:36 PM

“Democrat Women”?? Doesn’t that line-up usually contain Maddy NotSoBright (show clip of her doing FUnky Chicken with li’l Kim), Janet Reno (show clip of Waco burning), Donna Shalalala, the nut-job Surgeon General (saying masturbation is the cure for all our ills), Patsy Schroeder and TinyTom Daschle?

GeneSmith on September 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM

As B. may soon discover, just because he no longer gets waffles for breakfast, this does not mean that the waffle iron is no longer needed and been put away.
I sense a disturbance….

Grue in the Attic on September 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Me too. It seems very small and localized, yet extremely powerful. Hmmmmm.

Arbalest on September 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM

capitalist piglet on September 5, 2008 at 2:28 PM

No, she has to be able to say that she was a “good soldier” to the rank and file Dems in 2012. She tried (she really really tried) to get Obama elected. It doesn’t matter what the DNC or the Dem Leadership thinks – it’s the rank and file, the people who came out for her in the primary in recored numbers in places like PA and WV she needs to convince. That is why she will go out and campaign for him. As it looks like he is losing more, she will work all the harder.

If Obama wins she did her part and Bill goes into SCOTUS, and she becomes the Ted Kennedy of the Senate. What, I think, she wants is that she can show she was a good “team player” for the Dems, but alas Obama lost, so now she will go on to fight for the Dems in 2012. “If you had me as your nominee in 2008 we could have won, however, as I proved trying to get Sen. Obama elected, I will fight the good fight in 2012…”

talking_mouse on September 5, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Enlisting Hillary won’t work . . . she’ll make a feeble effort and Obama will forever be seen as her lap dog.

rplat on September 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM

While I realize there are many examples to choose from, Obama’s choice of Biden over Hillary will forever be known as the best example of his judgment.

a capella on September 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM

“If Obama wins she did her part and Bill goes into SCOTUS”

talking_mouse on September 5, 2008 at 3:00 PM

SCOTUS? After being banned by the federal judiciary from ever presenting cases before the USSC? Might be a bit of an obstacle for Bill to get confirmed.

Yes, the rank and file matter…when they are needed. Seems after this election, more and more of that same rank and file are gonig to come to the realization that the party of the people, the Dems, have used them, and badly.

If when McCain/Palin win, I hope it is by a significant majority, six to ten points at least. The Dems will have to re-tool their entire focus for 2012 and the midterms in 2010, and a lot of standard bearers for the Dem party will find themselves put out to pasture. Potentially, Hillary as well, especially if Hillary is part of an Obama loss. But, if Hillary is smart, cunning, she will focus her efforts on those House and Senate candidate this election and in the mid-terms. Stack the deck in her favor inside the Dem Party. Makes 2012 an eaiser run within her Party, who by that time will have forgotten compoletely who Obama was and the same for Howard Dean and a lot of other current standard bearers.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Don’t forget: more Americans killed in Chicago this summer than in Iraq. (Rush)

Harry Reid and Obama both admit defeat and withdraw efforts following their legal confiscation of misappropriated tax funds and grants.

With his Chicago statistics showing the results of Obama’s community organizing, the proof is in the pudding. Accomplishing anything for the public good is above Obama’s pay scale. Obama the abuser is only an ethics reform enabler of corruption and organized crime from the white collar elites trickling down to street thugs and murderers. THAT is the only tingling sensation Obama eminates: corruption and bloody murder.

maverick muse on September 5, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Remember.

When Hillary admitted defeat, her former supporter turned Obama supporter came up to “apologize” and try to make up for helping Obama instead. Hillary bristled and responded, “You chose the losing candidate.”

Hillary owes Obama (and even the DNC) nothing at this point!

Hillary does not need the DNC to pursue her political career. She can remain NY Senator even if she were later to decide to go “Independent” should the DNC continue to devolve. Given Obama’s defeat, Independents will make the new moderate platform for disaffected Democrats, anyway. It’s not that Hillary will leave the DNC, no need. But right now, she owes them NADA. Who’s getting the 3a.m. phone calls for help? She won’t get ANY credit for helping, but will take ALL the flack for his own boner failures. Let Obama prove himself, the big cry baby.

maverick muse on September 5, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Pant Suit Vs Barracuda 2016

Hening on September 5, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I’m a longtime lurker rare poster but I’d like to throw my .02 in.

My prediction. NYTIMES on Monday will have a front page hit piece on Palin containing talking points put out on the Sunday morning talkshows by these democrat women. The media will naturally feign ignorance at any perceived coordination and claim they are just doing their jobs.

420sniper on September 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

420sniper on September 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

And Governor Palin’s reaction would be:

“The NYT? If I want to put paper down when I gut game, I’ll use the Ketchikan Daily News, equally liberal, but much cheaper per issue.”

Next.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM

With Palin in the race wouldn’t Hillary want to stay as far away as possible?
Reason? People will start comparing Hillary to Palin. If Hillary is going to run in 2012 against possibly Palin, then Hillary does not want the comparisons to start too early and in 4 years a new comparison about how much more polished, popular, politically wise and even better Palin is in 2012 (and Hillary will just be older and more bitter).

The negative for Obama in Hillary going out is – people will compare Hillary to Palin and question why Obama chose Biden instead of Hillary. It makes Biden look bad and Obama looks dumb(er).

albill on September 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I don’t think Hillary will touch this with a ten foot pole. I think she already told him NO. Now the queen shall punish her disloyal subjects and teach them a lesson they shall soon not forget. HILLARY 2012

bloggless on September 5, 2008 at 4:02 PM

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Bill on the SCOTUS is part of the payoff. This shows that the impeachment was really the nothing that the Dems have been saying it is.

If, as I hope and fervently pray, you are right in McCain/Palin winning by a very significant margin, she may try for the Kennedy place in the senate. I think you are right that working for the midterm races is going to be her salvation. It will depend on how the term is going, and if she thinks she is going to run against McCain or Palin, if she runs in 2012. She will run against Palin without question, no matter how popular she is. Hillary will be the first female POTUS, there is no question of that in her mind. However if she is running against McCain she may sit out 2012 and work on rebuilding the party while solidifying her place not just in the senate but as a fundraiser for others also.

talking_mouse on September 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM

talking_mouse on September 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM —

Bill was disbarred by the Supreme Court. If he or anyone actually believes that Obama or even Hillary could make Bill a justice on any federal bench, they aren’t looking at the whole picture. Justices, even to lower federal courts, now require confirmation. Wasn’t always that way. Prior to the mid-1920’s all a President had to do was send a list over to the Senate Judiciary Committee, and they normally signed off on all of them on one sheet of paper and entered it into the Congrerssional Record. Now, it seems a major requirement is to have very public hearings and such. [BTW, in January 2006, Joe Biden called for elimination of Senate confirmation hearings altogether.] But the point being, imagine all that would be dredged up in the process, and a lot of it having Hillary’s hands on it as well. Not a choice political move.

Now, Secretary of the UN…that’s something else. But major powers have not been elected to UNSec. The focus has been on “middle powers.” Can’t imagine a United States UN Secretary being approved…for all sorts of reasons…accept in the case of Bill. he has bamboozled most of the rest of the world…and has a good number of markers out across the globe.

As for Hillary, time s not on Hillary’s side.

Her best shot now will be 2012…age 66. After that, her relevance to the population as a whole will lessen. The under 18 demographic in the US is now about 28%. Grow that out four years. After 2012, Hillary will be personally unknown to over half the population, unless she can make a name for herself in the Senate…and build alliances in Congress along the way…and personally draft major legislation to show her having stones. By 2016, her cred being Bill’s wife is gone…totally.

Being part of a losing Obama ticket does nothing for her, even as a vocal spokesperson or campaigner. How many public appearances in support of Obama has she made since the Denver Coronation?

She has a massive debt to retire, but a few books and a few personal speaking engagements can pay that off in a few years.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM

How does that old saying go?

She who laughs last, laughs the loudest”.

This is so comical that it can’t have just happened this way. Some evil Repulican strategist somewhere must have been planning this since the 2000 Inaguration. Thousands of brilliant minds toiling night and day for nearly 8 years, doing coffee and bathroom breaks at the same time so to spend more time planning and calculating this master stroke of political manuevering and ambush. Unmask this genius so that we can bestow the recognition so truly deserved.

Hog Wild on September 5, 2008 at 5:19 PM

If this guy actually does what I’ve been hearing over the past few days and dumps Biden for Clinton, he will have hit a new level of scumbag with me.

Ryan Gandy on September 5, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Ryan Gandy on September 5, 2008 at 8:13 PM —

If you are the praying type, pray, my friend, pray.

If he dumps Biden…wow…just can’t see what’ll happen to the Democrats when that happens. And Hillary? If Obama loses with her on the ticket? Think “Nacht der langen Messer” all over the Blue States.

coldwarrior on September 5, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Did Hillary really ever have any cache with women? Just asking the questions.

amkun on September 6, 2008 at 12:28 AM

That is, real women and not feminazis?

amkun on September 6, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Ha! Is this that 3am call Hillary spoke about? Obambi can’t handle the heat so he calls on the “big boys (or girl)” to rescue him?

The irony of this seriously could melt the brain.

Renwaa on September 6, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Lol Lol Lol Mr_Magoo on September 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM:
If there were 300 Amazons who wanted your babies, I would be one of them. Or at least, your glasses.

Fortunata on September 6, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Romeo13 on September 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Palin/Sessions 2012

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 6, 2008 at 8:53 AM

I can’t visualize Hillary Clinton pole dancing for Oblahblah!

byteshredder on September 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM