Excerpts from Palin speech: Small town, and proud of it

posted at 7:17 pm on September 3, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The RNCC just released excerpts of Sarah Palin’s speech, scheduled for delivery tonight, and it appears they have chosen the high road in re-introducing the Alaskan Governor to the nation.  According to the clips, she plans to defend small-town America and its values, and stress her role as an outsider in reforming the political culture in Washington DC. However, she won’t ignore the steady stream of smears that flew out of the commentariat this week, either:

“I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town. I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids’ public education better. When I ran for city council, I didn’t need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too. Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a ‘community organizer,’ except that you have actual responsibilities. …

“I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. But here’s a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I’m not going to Washington to seek their good opinion – I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this country. …

“Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America’s energy problems – as if we all didn’t know that already. But the fact that drilling won’t solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all. Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to lay more pipelines…build more nuclear plants…create jobs with clean coal…and move forward on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources. We need American energy resources, brought to you by American ingenuity, and produced by American workers. …

“Here’s how I look at the choice Americans face in this election. In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.”

Republicans are relishing this opportunity. If the media thought that the GOP would get squeamish over barbs coming from the punditry, they will have those notions disabused tonight. McCain and Palin have no intention of backing down, nor of kissing up to the Beltway elite.

Keep an eye on this speech, and the reaction tonight. Palin brings her own fighting spirit to a presidential candidate known for his own willingness to take risks in engagement with their own party and with those who argue for business as usual. Voters will identify with the Palins much sooner than with the Beltway insiders.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

wtf

she’s blatantly lying about Obama’s energy plan

she’s blatantly lying about Obama’s tax plan

the crowd eats it up yum yum yum

Dave Rywall on September 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Now that I heard and saw the entire speech:

Out. Of. The. Park.

Why? Not just because of the delivery, not just because of the zingers, not just because of the content.

But mainly because her actions and her life match her words.

Montana on September 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM

She wasn’t that bad actually, she spoke very well even if I don’t agree with her on substance. Of course that wasn’t really an issue as the focus was on narrative anyway.

Giuliani’s Jerusalem lie definitely needs to be called out though, that was despicable.

Typhonsentra on September 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM

she’s blatantly lying about Obama’s energy plan

she’s blatantly lying about Obama’s tax plan

So…what exactly did she lie about?

GreatGatsby on September 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Grand Slam.

That giant sucking sound is the “communist(y) organizer and his campaign circling the drain.

kayo on September 3, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Politico puts it in perspective. The “ordinary gal” forcefield is a powerful shield indeed:

You’re entirely right- that line of defense seems to be very effective. And yet it surprises me- it’s the same argument that many made about Bush vs. Gore in 2000. Sure, Bush lacked experience, but it’s another trait of the ‘ordinary guy’ that’s so endearing. You’d rather drink a beer with George Bush than most other politicians. And many people voted Bush based upon this kind of logic.

Has anyone learned after the last 8 years that this country doesn’t need an ordinary ‘guy’ or ‘gal’ trying to handle the most complex job in the country? Jefferson, Adams, Lincoln, and both Roosevelts were far from ‘ordinary guys’. And thank God for it.

foreverright on September 3, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Foreverright,

Correlation and causation aren’t the same thing. Just because lots of people said they’d rather knock one back with the current POTUS back in 2000, and lots of people voted for him (both in 2000 and in 2004), doesn’t mean that they voted for him because they like the guy on a personal level.

The same thing happened in 2004 – there was an exit poll question asking why people voted the way they did. The Donks put together the notion that because the top response was “values” and the large number of gay-marriage legalizations went down in flames, Republicans were (and in the press, still are portrayed as) anti-gay. Well I hate to have to be the one bearing this as if it was news, but “values” includes trustworthiness – and given the manner in which Sen. Kerry ran his campaign in 2004, many of us knew we couldn’t trust what came out of his mouth from one word to the next. Thus any platform he ran on was point-blank not worth the paper it was printed on, save as something for wiping spills.

I spent a very short amount of time in 2000 and in 2004, after the conventions, looking at the platforms of the candidates. Fortunately, in both years, the platforms were fairly far apart in the “how” of doing the agreed-on “what.” I voted less for the Republican candidate than for the Republican platform. I look forward to doing so again in 2008, barring any shocks to come out of MN late this week.

And to answer the mindless “poll” question – I’d rather have a beer (or any social interaction at all) with none of them. They have nothing to offer me in the social graces; I just want the one who promises to butt out of my business more (and actually keeps that promise!) to win.

Blacksmith on September 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM

So…what exactly did she lie about?
GreatGatsby on September 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM
————–

“But the fact that drilling won’t solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all. ”

This is a bullsh*t statement that implies that Obama isn’t going to do anything about energy, when his speech in Denver clearly laid out a laundry list (that Palin’s is remarkably similar to). Your party blinders cannot possibly be on that tight that you don’t see this blatant lie. But maybe they are. Grab some objectivity if you have the ability.

Next.

Dave Rywall on September 4, 2008 at 8:21 AM

“Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to lay more pipelines”

@Dave Rywall
his speech in Denver clearly laid out a laundry list

did his laundry list including drilling and more pipelines? No?

Next.

jadedinga on September 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Dave Rywall on September 4, 2008 at 8:21 AM

I believe the implication was that just because drilling won’t solve all our energy problems doesn’t mean we shouldn’t drill. That’s the way I got it watching the speech and it still seems solid. Even if I take into account Obama’s holy plan, how much of it is actually feasible and how much of it does he actually understand to put into action? Palin’s from an oil state, worked in the oil biz, and sits right next to our oil supplier. Obama has done what about energy again? Propose windmills?

GreatGatsby on September 4, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Now that I heard and saw the entire speech:

Out. Of. The. Park.

But mainly because her actions and her life match her words.

Montana on September 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Her speech was great and the reason for the great content: Speech writer, Matt Scully, who is a class act! As a right-leaning independent, it’s very nice to see that there are some Republicans that care about animal welfare. Most Repubs are fond of calling animal-welfare types loonies. I wonder if it felt strange at all to Palin, a hunter, having an animal-welfare-anti-hunting advocate writing her BIG speech?

Shelby on September 4, 2008 at 3:11 PM