Palin goes on offense in Troopergate, releases affidavit

posted at 10:42 pm on September 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

Everyone knew it was coming but I thought they’d wait longer to do it. Presumably they decided to take advantage of the raging river of information and push it out now rather than wait until things quiet down, when the media can focus all of its attention on it. Here’s the PDF. The recitation of facts is only around 10 pages; pay special attention to the short section on the Bailey phone call, which is where she’s most likely to have problems. This is, ostensibly, a legal document written for ethics investigators, but the true aim of course is to put the public on notice about her former brother-in-law’s “eccentricities” so that if she’s found guilty of crossing an ethical line she can claim she acted the way any good daughter or sister would when family’s threatened. The defense, in other words, will be that she’s morally right even if she’s ethically wrong.

Not the actions of a woman ready to pull an Eagleton, needless to say.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Now if only we can get rid of the Nat’l Enquirer and their crap, we’ll be in good shape.

Sakaki on September 2, 2008 at 11:49 PM

I think we need to be much more worried about the main stream press and Liberals with great influence like the owner of US Magazine with crap like the newest issue coming out. They have the right to publish and we have the right to not buy.

Mr_Magoo on September 2, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Because if that boy ever does her wrong, his face will have been plastered all across America’s living rooms.)
Loxodonta on September 2, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Even without it he would be doomed. Would YOU want a grizzly-bear-hunting Sarah Palin after your hide for wronging her daughter? Whew, you couldn’t even run to the wilderness to hide, she would track you down and recreate that scene with the freshly killed caribou and your skin would decorate her parent’s home.

Bishop on September 2, 2008 at 11:59 PM

They think woman are weak and can be broken. They are testing their theory…

TheBigOldDog on September 3, 2008 at 12:00 AM

ninjapirate on September 2, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I agree that the media would never admit that an audience might applaud people for standing tall amid a furor wrought by the media itself.

jackmac on September 3, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Sarah Palin had no presidential ambition.

I don’t think she would be so egotistic to seek it out on her own.

wise_man on September 2, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Agreed. Everything I have read and seen so far leads me to believe that Governor Palin is an extraordinary breath of fresh air that is desperately needed in Washington.

I just hope there are enough media outlets open to letting her breath that the American people can get to know her.

Loxodonta on September 3, 2008 at 12:04 AM

What’s up with all the lily-livered, nail-biters?

I think all these “talk about it over a drink or breakfast” types have been hanging out with the David Brooks crowd. Ickk.

Grow some nads. Maybe the Governor from Alaska could lend you some.

Saltysam on September 3, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Chris Matthews says ny times is printing a correction on their source about the AIP story they got wrong, the chair lied to them that Palin was a member and visited the convention.

Someone get the link to the correction.

Enoxo on September 3, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Just think – if Sarah was a man and all these lies were true, they’d be slapping her on the back, lighting up cigars and toasting her for being one of the boys.

For most of the Libs, this is just a matter of turnabout is fair play. They don’t see, or refuse to see, just how biased the media is. It took 8 months for the John Edwards story to come out because the MSM felt they had to be the information gatekeepers. Now the floodgates are open, they’ve thrown up their hands and say, “We can’t control it.”

They all disgust me.

Mr_Magoo on September 3, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Saltysam on September 3, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Enthusiasts can get overenthusiastic and fail to see the significance of very real threats.

Worriers can get too pessimistic and fall into an inability to deal with the threats they see.

When the two work together, you can have the best of both worlds. So, lets keep open lines of communication between the two types.

Also, a sense of humor helps.

Loxodonta on September 3, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I would like to see a published list of some of these hacks so I can vent to them officially. They bury their contact info so deep. I don’t have time to do that much digging.

Mr_Magoo on September 3, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Hope against hope that Governor Palins speech tomorrow night will be “the shot heard around the world” speech that I think she’s going to give.

*fingers crossed*

kellyjane on September 3, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Also, a sense of humor helps.

Loxodonta on September 3, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Ummmm. You no think I’m funny?

Anyway….

Some people see real threats when they see real threats. Others see the bogeyman behind every tree.

It’s usually a matter of what is in their nature. I usually take the approach of a favorite quote of mine:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Teddy Roosevelt

Saltysam on September 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Based on everything I’ve read so far about Troopergate, and provided the “Bailey acted alone” story holds, I don’t see anything particularly damning. Still, I’d feel better if I knew what exact budget and recruitment matters Palin and Monegan supposedly clashed on. I’m hoping it’s something contra-narrative, like his refusal to meet minority recruitment goals.

Regardless of whether she is absolved of any wrongdoing, Palin SHOULD have known that any and all official contacts (from her or on her behalf) about her ex-BIL were inappropriate and ethically problematic. She doesn’t seem to have any worse judgment than Obama (see, Rezko) but that doesn’t make it okay.

Infidoll on September 3, 2008 at 12:32 AM

I actually think Ninjapirate is right. I think it’s a bad idea to have him up there with them. Perhaps if the baby was already born it would be one thing but the fact is that the baby hasn’t been born.

DethMetalCookieMonst on September 2, 2008 at 11:26 PM

I respectfully have to disagree with you both. Life happens. Why run from or try to hide the reality?

Embrace it, plot course for the future and move on.

A whole lot of people are going to identify with those two youngsters. Yeah they made a mistake. I have several in my extended family who made the same mistake, and some of them MUCH younger than the two in question.

Bottom line is that this is in no way a liability to Palin or McC. Quite the contrary. It humanizes them.

techno_barbarian on September 3, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Let’s see…

Palin hires Walt Monegan as Comm. of Dept. of Public Safety after he was fired as police chief of Anchorage by its mayor?

And this woman has good judgment HOW???

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 12:40 AM

This is such a nonstory. BJ Clinton has REAL scandals and the msm did absolutely nothing with the stories. They’re trying to pile on Palin right out of the gate. It’s disgusting to watch. She’s a fighter and a hunter like McCain. I think she’ll do just fine.

…For such a time as this. She’s our Esther.

Mojave Mark on September 3, 2008 at 12:41 AM

And this woman has good judgment HOW???

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Dud.

Try again.

Saltysam on September 3, 2008 at 12:42 AM

I hate idiots that wave at the camera!

SouthernGent on September 2, 2008 at 11:36 PM

I believe that if you find yourself on TV, you should act like you’ve been there before.

backwoods conservative on September 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM

/checks that us magazine link

wow — talk about jumping into the tank full force!

Buckaroo on September 3, 2008 at 12:53 AM

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 12:40 AM

He wasn’t fired by the Mayor… LMFAO!

Get them facts straight, or show me where you read that. I think you have another story mixed up in it.

upinak on September 3, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Re: ninjapirate 10:59pm

If the boyfriend was instead Bristol’s *husband*, I’d have no problem with them all being onstage, but since he is *not* married to the pregnant daughter, having him up there is shoving the whole thing down our throats. I’d say Palin is trusting a little too much on Evangelical support if she does that.
Aslans Girl on September 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Like the creepy Aunt that sends everyone she considers outsiders to stand to the side, while only the ‘family’ gets their picture taken after Thanksgiving dinner. UGH! There’s a problem alright.

Genny on September 3, 2008 at 12:54 AM

Alaska Party Official Says Palin Was Not a Member

Enoxo on September 3, 2008 at 12:57 AM

If I see this correctly, Infidoll, even this won’t really matter. Monegan’s job was executive-level, which means Palin could’ve fired him if she didn’t like the way he combed his hair. Certainly, I don’t believe she would be so petty, but it remains that if he wasn’t performing the way she wanted, he’s out. I need to point out that the incident involving her, her sister, and her brother-in-law was before she even made a run for the Governor’s office, and even if this did play a role in Monegan’s dismissal, I would say that because this- her B-I-L, and Monegan’s slow response to the problem- was clearly a public safety
issue, and that Palin was well within her rights as the state chief executive.

BillH on September 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Doesn’t quite equal counting amongst your friends unrepentant terrorists, racist-to-the-core preachers, and convicted felons.

BillH on September 3, 2008 at 1:04 AM

“Enoxo on September 3, 2008 at 12:57 AM”

um, that’s like 1/2 a day old …

the wire services deftly buried the lie, never coming clean about sarah but trumpeting that TODD really was a member — twice — for a couple years at a time!

/the same todd that has NEVER registered as a goper in his life!

Buckaroo on September 3, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Infidoll on September 3, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Lets see… guy threatened to KILL a member of her family.

As someone who has worked security, this puts him immediatly on the “list”…

Even though it happened prior to her being Govenor, you HAVE to take such threats seriously… especialy from someone who TASER’d a kid.

Palin herself never preasured to get him fired, others whose job was SECURITY did. First DUDE was ORDERED by her head of security to talk to this guy about the Ex Brother in Law… as he WAS a threat.

Now… Palin did NOT immediatly fire Monegan… which it seems if she thought this was a serious issue, she would have…

Sour grapes from a beurocrat, and a Partisan Witch hunt…

Romeo13 on September 3, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Saltysam on September 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM

I think a sense of humor helps in most situations.

I think there has been a lot of miscommunication between enthusiasts and worriers over this election. I hope it can be reduced.

Loxodonta on September 3, 2008 at 1:15 AM

The trooper is lucky he wasn’t “properly dressed” like a moose.

GT on September 3, 2008 at 1:23 AM

From the Wash. Post:

Major newspapers, magazines and networks no longer play their traditional gatekeeper role in the digital age, as was evident during the eight-month period when the National Enquirer was charging former senator John Edwards with fathering an out-of-wedlock baby. Most national news outlets did not report the allegations until last month, when Edwards acknowledged an affair with a former campaign aide but denied being her child’s father.

Night and day: Edwards’ family is shielded from the truth for months, while Palin’s family is not shielded from false rumors at all.

Sad to see our democratic process taken over, and the news cycle driven, by the likes of Kos and his ilk.

fred5678 on September 3, 2008 at 1:39 AM

He wasn’t fired by the Mayor… LMFAO!

upinak on September 3, 2008 at 12:53 AM

It’s in the PDF file, bottom of page 4. I can’t copy the text because it’s a photocopy.

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 1:44 AM

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Barry same deal with the Mayor. He can “terminate” anyone in a executive setting. Also the fact that begich is a known jerk, who turns people over quite often.

You forget, anyone in a Executive seat is at the whim of the Head of that particular Government, no matter what area of Government it is.

upinak on September 3, 2008 at 1:48 AM

They think woman are weak and can be broken. They are testing their theory… TheBigOldDog

I think Palin probably matches MM in backbone and moral fiber. I look forward to seeing her preside over the senate.

snaggletoothie on September 3, 2008 at 1:52 AM

upinak on September 3, 2008 at 1:48 AM

At least I had my facts straight, remember?

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 1:59 AM

BillH on September 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM

This isn’t exactly my area of expertise, Bill, but I’m reasonably sure that Palin, pursuant to state ethics laws, could not have fired Monegan for any reason related to her BIL. Similarly, although I’m not sure this rises to the level of a violation (so long as she wasn’t pushing for his dismissal), she should not have, once she was governor, attempted to discuss Wooten with his superiors.

Infidoll on September 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM

“Enoxo on September 3, 2008 at 12:57 AM”

um, that’s like 1/2 a day old …

/the same todd that has NEVER registered as a goper in his life!

Buckaroo on September 3, 2008 at 1:05 AM

What I’m saying is, is the New York Times is printing a retraction / correction that they were lied to, regarding AIP.

Enoxo on September 3, 2008 at 2:19 AM

The irony of course being that in these froth-at-the-mouth partisan attacks, the ones firmly closing the case on themselves for ethical impropriety are the DNC tools in the MSM.

Halley on September 3, 2008 at 2:25 AM

I don’t think Governor Palin has anything to worry about when it comes to the debates.

Stumbling, stuttering Joe is still an ol’ gaffe machine.

Enoxo on September 3, 2008 at 2:30 AM

Of course CNN wouldn’t politicize Bristol’s delicate condition…Noooooo. Leading off Showbiz Tonight, they seek to Hollywoodize Palin comparing the latest bit of disclosure to JUNO, the film.

Schmo on September 3, 2008 at 2:41 AM

So would I. It’s frustrating trying to find contact info on almost any site these days. Even then, you’re not sure the right person will get the mail.

jaleach on September 3, 2008 at 2:41 AM

It doesent matter if Bailey acted alone – the trooper should have been jailed for the threats in the first place

EricPWJohnson on September 3, 2008 at 2:55 AM

Infidoll on September 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Infidoll, I’ll have to concede your point, and say it isn’t
my field either (car electrician does not equal state executive), prima facie in regards to Wooten directly, you’re probably right. But, if a pattern emerges, as it almost certainly would’ve, Monagan couldn’t ignore it, and Palin had to have noticed it. Even if you take Wooster completely out of the picture, you’re still left with a Bureau Chief who is not performing as expected, in terms of hiring practices and departmental performance. I think there were supposed to be some budgetary issues, as well. Noting that the firing took place nearly two years after his hire, my guess is if Wooten was a reason, he was a minor one, and simply because Wooten continued his poor performance. IIRC, Wooten was originally suspended for 10 days, and his union was able to get it knocked down to 5. Still a rather bad mark in your personnel jacket. Chances are we’ll have to wait for the report- due out on 30October, but apparently the head of the investigating committee is willing to leak a portion of it out now, why we have no idea- and hopefully it’ll state in concrete words what happened. Ruefully, it’s a good bet that the McCain campaign has told Palin not to talk about this unless absolutely necessary.

BillH on September 3, 2008 at 2:57 AM

It would be nice if the tabloid bothered to actually report the story instead of the gossip.

It would also be nice if anyone in the US were to actually acknowledge that employment at will means that an employer does not have to have a reason to fire anyone, even if that employer happens to be Governor of a State, for that same reason that an employee does not have to have a reason to quit.

It would also help of anyone acknowledged that this former public safety moron stated on National TV repeatedly that this was one of many reasons that he personally feels that he was fired and that the interviewer (MSNBC) rather than ask about the other reasons, simply pushed on and tried to get him to say that this was the primary reason… which he would also no do.

Damiano on September 3, 2008 at 4:42 AM

What’s up with all the lily-livered, nail-biters?

Grow some nads. Maybe the Governor from Alaska could lend you some.

Yup. All this angst is energy wasted. Let the media punch themselves out for the next few weeks (while the generally apolitical masses watches in thier behaviour with growing disgust).

Anther round of The Great Misunderstimation by the MSM/DNC is beginning. GW benefitted from it to the tune of two victories in 2000 and 2004.

It’s pretty clear that the MSM will not do thier jobs over the next two months investigating any of the lingering Obama issues, so it’s up to the Republicans to move forward and make the case to the undecided voters who WILL decide this election.

I’ve posted this before, but to repeat: almost everyone of my circle of friends (who are apolitical, big time) are saying to me “…what’s the deal with all the dirt digging on this woman?” See know a witchhunt when they see one. They also know a media clearly carrying water for one side when they see it.

Waterboy on September 3, 2008 at 6:17 AM

And this woman has good judgment HOW???

barry norris on September 3, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Walt Monegan was fired by a democrat mayor. Police chiefs can be fired as a political decision that does not reflect on their competence.

That is how this woman can have good judgment in hiring Monegan.

Right_of_Attila on September 3, 2008 at 6:34 AM

I just watched all three networks and those sons of b**ches never once mentioned Wooten’s actions.

Not freaking once.

Of course we have commentary from a Democrat (French) and absolutely no one else.

This stems from a 2005 issue.

drjohn on September 3, 2008 at 7:26 AM

They’re terrified of Palin.

Terrified.

That’s why the personal invasion.

drjohn on September 3, 2008 at 7:27 AM

Geraldine Ferraro better start wearing bus tire proof underwear ;)

myamphibian on September 3, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Sarahcuda ’08 !!

Go girl !!

CinnamongirlUF on September 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM

What’s the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom? A hockey mom wears lipstick. — Sarah Palin

JimK on September 3, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Although I am a very big fan of Sarah Palin, I am worried about the “affidavit.” Sadly, I’ve reviewed too many affidavits in the family law context, and this one reminds me of many I’ve reviewed.

It looks as if it was thrown together, the balance of unprovable claims vs. provable facts seems somewhat high, and it appears from my reading that the real purpose of the submission is to toss the investigation into a new process, effectively seeking a delay in the final outcome.

From the description of that process, it appears reasonable to conclude that the outcome could not be resolved before election day.

I hope that what we saw is just an “over the long weekend” slapdash effort, put together in a hurry. If the story doesn’t improve with time, it’s just not a very good story.

The Wild Duck on September 3, 2008 at 8:22 AM

She must be really great- better than we can imagine, if the dems/MSM are this afraid of her. Doesn’t matter if it’s true or not- throw it on the wall and see if it sticks! I hope they are more panicked after her speech tonight. GO SARAH!

kareyk on September 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM

“They think woman are weak and can be broken. They are testing their theory…” They are villifying Palin, not to have her drop out, but to have the lilly-livered, pasty-faced men in the party push her out.

davod on September 3, 2008 at 8:35 AM

My contempt for most of the MSM is complete. They refuse to cover the stories of substance about the voluminous dirt surrounding both Mr. Hussein Obama and Biden, preferring to invent lies and spin about Palin and McCain.
“No media bias here, folks…move along now…”

DavePa on September 3, 2008 at 8:38 AM

I see an issue here of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. With the unbeleivable hatred for this women by the left, I think if she had not done the right thing and brought the information about the brother-in-law forward she would be getting smacked around for trying to hide a family secret. Personally, if what the brother-in-law did on the job is true, I don’t know how a reasonable person does not aggressively pursue having someone responsible for other’s safety fired.

momof2 on September 3, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Comeback?

Don’t call it a comeback; she never left, whiner.

Spanglemaker on September 3, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Troopergate? I think we need a campaign to boycott the tabloid media. Boycott NBC, CBS, ABC and the affiliates, magazines like US Weekly, the AP, and any other media source that’s turned into a tabloid of lies, mistruths, and slander against the Republican Party. They call themselves news agencies, but they keep publishing fiction and rumors. It’s disgusting and wrong.

Tuari on September 3, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Now’s as good as time as any to ask Obama to step down due to his lack of experience and scandalous relationships. How would the msm react to that approach?

Fuquay Steve on September 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Tasering you stepson, making death threats, driving under the influence, shooting a moose illegally. These are not “eccentricities” as allahpundit states. These are clear cut violations of the law. Stop with the verbal semantics and call a spade a spade.

the_stoics on September 3, 2008 at 10:06 AM

It’s probably a good idea to get this affidavit out there. Governor Palin’s counsel wisely included in his summary that the problems with Wooten date from February 2005, over a year and a half before Palin became Governor, so at that time Palin was a mayor who wanted to protect her sister and other family members, but without the legal authority to fire Wooten. The affidavit also states that Monegan’s firing had nothing to do with Wooten, but that Monegan “did not see eye to eye” on some issue, which is unfortunately not specified in the affidavit. The fact that Palin was willing to stand up to such a corrupt police department as Governor speaks in her favor!

But the MSM, being what it is, will probably question Palin’s sister’s judgment in marrying a man like Wooten, and blame it on Palin. All the Dems’ concerns for protecting women from domestic abuse go out the window when a Republican is abused!!!

Steve Z on September 3, 2008 at 10:18 AM

If the supposed ethics violation is the firing of Monegan for personal reasons, because he didn’t fire Wooten, and the same Monegan was quoted four days ago as saying “For the record, no one ever said fire Wooten. Not the governor. Not Todd. Not any of the other staff…” — exactly where is the violation?

Apparently, this affidavit is the result of having top-notch GOP lawyers investigate the issue and, in accordance with Alaskan statutes, put the investigation (which is now apparently an independent witch-hunt) where it legally belongs: the Attorney General and Personnel Board of the State of Alaska.

Nichevo on September 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM