Must see: Reporters at convention are “rabid” over Kos smears of Palin, say Brzezinski and Barnicle; Update: Smear post disappears from dKos

posted at 11:24 am on September 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

Superb catch by the ‘Busters but they buried the lede. Click the image to watch and skip ahead to 6:00 for the money part; the thought of the media stooping so low as to offend MSNBC hosts makes my temples throb. Who could have guessed that our beloved Deciders are devoted, uncritical patrons of Nutroots HQ, able to be thrown into a frenzy by nothing more than a photo of Palin and perfunctory comments by some anonymous slackjaw to the effect of, “She doesn’t really look that pregnant-ish in this one”? Blogger Lee Stranahan effectively debunked it with one phone call. Meanwhile, per Barnicle, the pros were calling each other up to try to scrape together a critical mass of innuendo worthy of a patented “questions are being raised” story. Just like they did with John Edwards, you see.

But the bias angle is easy enough, so never mind that. The more coverage of Palin I see, the clearer it is that the media thinks its job here isn’t so much to find out the truth about her as to simply “test her mettle” by putting her through a wringer — even if the wringer’s composed of, um, slander. See, e.g., CNN gratuitously mentioning the dKos rumors about Trig Palin yesterday as a lead-in to the story about Bristol Palin’s pregnancy. A more benign form is the way they’ve inflated some of the more mundane details about her to the level of breathless revelation to fit the “loose cannon” narrative they’re trying to build. Check out the lefty link action on WaPo’s front-pager about Palin having –gasp — sought earmarks as mayor of Wasilla. Sure, she was a whistleblower on corruption, and yeah, she opposed Alaska’s GOP establishment as governor, and okay, she canceled the bridge to nowhere (after initially supporting it!!1!), but she’s taken earmarks. Really, now: What kind of “Change” candidate does that?

Exit question: How would the VP coverage have gone if Obama hadn’t run, Hillary had won the nomination, and then surprised everyone by tapping him as VP? Wright and Rezko and Ayers and infanticide in rapid succession: Clearly, our media would conclude that this dangerously untested ingenue is too unknown a quantity to be a heartbeat away, with Tom Eagleton comparisons gleefully invoked starting, oh, 72 hours in.

Update: A follow-up exit question: How important is Sullivan in “mainstreaming” the most repulsive smears for big media consumption? The media knows his name and his credentials at TNR and The Atlantic and therefore assumes that if something filthy’s being “aired” at the Daily Dish, there must be something to it. (Big mistake.) Howard Kurtz actually still thinks he’s “right-leaning” even though he voted Democrat last time, will vote Democrat again now, and spends an overwhelmingly disproportionate amount of his time defending Obama and attacking the right. Hey, Howard: Did you know that I’m actually a far-left liberal? I just happen to have become “disillusioned” with my side’s behavior since turning 10 years old. Call me a “socialist of doubt.”

Update: Absolutely the perfect ending to this story: Its mission having been completed, the dKos smear post that so enthralled our press corps has now been quietly suppressed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In addition to deleting posts and comments, some bloggers like Jake Tapper over at ABC update their posts by editing the original and then placing a disclaimer at the bottom saying it was updated. No one knows what the update is (which I’m sure is the goal).

Thank you HotAir (Ed and Allah) for being crystal clear about your updates.

Mr_Magoo on September 2, 2008 at 1:03 PM

If it were not beneath us to do so, I’d say we do a little “vetting” of our own on Sullivan and the Kos creator ( I won’t even type his name) and see what lurks in their own backyard. These people aren’t pundits… they’re even worse than the paparazzi that chase after starlets who forgot their underwear.

scalleywag on September 2, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Its the typical dKKKos lynching of people ‘different’ from them. Hate-mongers!

epb on September 2, 2008 at 1:09 PM

he voted Democrat last time, will vote Democrat again now

Just a quibble, but Sullivan isn’t a U.S. citizen, so these statements are technically untrue. What is true is that he endorsed a Democrat last time and certainly won’t endorse moderate maverick McCain this time around. (In some sense, that’s more damning, since an endorsement is a lot stronger than a vote; e.g., I’m sure there are many people who voted for Bush in 2004 who would be loathe to endorse him.)

calbear on September 2, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Peggy Noonan said it best, they are going to tear her down while they can before she becomes a big figure with a large following.

KBird on September 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM

scalleywag on September 2, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Ironically enough, before Sullivan became a full on leftwing lunatic, the left gave him a rather overthrough vetting. If you have the stomach for it, I am sure you can still google what they found…

18-1 on September 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM

KBird on September 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I’d say it is a bit like the horse being in the next county and them quickly slamming the door closed an hour later unless disgruntled Fred, Mit, and Huck fans stop it.

sven10077 on September 2, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Well, in the case of the Kos creator, he has a REAL skeleton in his closet–he went to Northern Illinois University. That’s something anyone would be desperate to keep hidden!

radjah shelduck on September 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM

The more coverage of Palin I see, the clearer it is that the media thinks its job here isn’t so much to find out the truth about her as to simply “test her mettle” by putting her through a wringer…

I hate to be picky, but it’s not “her;” it’s “her and her children.”

And it’s not a wringer, it’s a crucible.

logis on September 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Logis: crucibles make steel and I think Sarah and family are Iron enough to take their heat and come out tempered and grinning.

sven10077 on September 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I hate to be picky, but…

logis on September 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM

mettle is not the same as metal, so there is no need for a crucible. the wringer will work just fine.

TheCulturalist on September 2, 2008 at 1:50 PM

18-1 on September 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM

thanks, I don’t know if I’ve got the stomach for it but if I ever do want to feel nauseous I’ll sit down and google the guy.

radjah shelduck on September 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM

haha, that explains a lot. Too bad for NIU though, it’s not as easy to make a certain student’s attendance there go down the memory hole as it is for a blowhard blogger to flush embarrassingly bogus posts!

scalleywag on September 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM

But it is also symptomatic of the MSM’s Beltway elitist mentality. It’s hazing the Palins for wanting to join what they see as their sorority/fraternity. That this is more about the American people stopped registering with them years ago, if it ever registered with them. The slander titilates them because it plays into their contempt for people who do things like fish and hunt, have daughters who choose life, etc.

Karl on September 2, 2008 at 11:45 AM

The Sally Quinn article on Palin was the perfect example of what you wrote Karl.

They will be shocked in Nov., along with the European elitists. “Rubes” vote in droves, and elitists are still just a few.

I have been wondering what Soros thinks of the Palin pick.

Entelechy on September 2, 2008 at 2:02 PM

And it’s not a wringer, it’s a crucible.

logis on September 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Crucibles also refine gold. Palin may not be 24K but 18K is a whole lot better wearing. My kinda folks.

Caststeel on September 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Update: Smear post disappears from dKos

The Dailykos = The Daily Sewer Pipe

byteshredder on September 2, 2008 at 2:10 PM

The Dailykos = The Daily Sewer Pipe

byteshredder on September 2, 2008 at 2:10 PM

The rats are rabid in the latrine. Something must have upset them.

Entelechy on September 2, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Mr_Magoo on September 2, 2008 at 1:03 PM

The CNN website does the same. That’s why it’s always important to use more than one source.

Connie on September 2, 2008 at 2:25 PM

sven10077 on September 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Check the link: a crucible refers to something you use to test purity – by destroying the subject.

Like the test for witchcraft where you throw someone in water; either way, they end up dead.

logis on September 2, 2008 at 2:28 PM

The meat is at 6:00? I thought it was pretty tasty at 3:00.

cannonball on September 2, 2008 at 2:28 PM

KBird on September 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Too late that snowballs picking up speed, and getting bigger as it picks up support.

Dr Evil on September 2, 2008 at 2:29 PM

DailyKOS = DailyPOS

cannonball on September 2, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Sometime in the near future, we are going to have to do something about the leftwing media and their open bias for Obama.

Their behavior is atrocious. Their attacks one-sided. Their venom poisonous. And their focus extremely one sided.

I don’t know what it will take, it is doubtful that we can force the big media outlets out of business, specifically GE, TimeWarner, Disney, and Viacom. Stockholder actions, including law suits, stockholder votes on policy, have been proven to be ineffective in changing corporations behavior. The “divestiture” actions against South Africa and Israel are a case in point.

And the control of the NYTimes is tightly retained by Sulzberger, who could care less about “profits” and common share stock prices as long as he can retain his “bully pulpit” to piss on conservatives and Republicans.

“Shaming them” is ineffective because the HAVE NO SHAME in the first place. Their all consuming agenda is to elect Obama and the Democrats into office and they will say whatever they can to accomplish their mission.

Forget about going after their FCC licenses. That simply doesn’t work.

They really don’t care about “ratings” when the issue is the “agenda.”

But unless we do something about the left-bias soon, there will come a time when the ONLY voices will be leftwing, and talk radio, hotair, michellemalkin, will be outlawed and their owners, webmasters, and comentators, and hosts imprisoned for challenging the “Ministry of Truth.”

We speak to the choir a lot here (one reason why I no longer post very much). It’s rare to find mention of hotair.com or michellemalkin.com on the “news,” unless it is to attack Michelle. The “Kill Malkin” Denver video got ZERO play on the “news,” and ditto for the attempted murder of delegates on buses being attacked by leftists dropping bags of sand on their buses from over passes. God forbid the media report their disciples attempting political violence. Besides, it doesn’t fit the “agenda.”

So, we have to stand by and watch these scumbags slander Palin’s kids, use ad hominem attacks against the woman, and attempt to mau-mau her and her family into dropping out. And there is very little we can do about it using “normal” channels. Bill Bennett tried, yesterday, on CNN and got blown off by Wolfie, Kondrackie, and Donna Brazille.

georgej on September 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I hope this story goes away. It’s shameful no matter what your political background is.

I feel especially bad for Palin’s family.

thePajamaPundit on September 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM

I kind of feel like McCain is pulling the mother of all rope-a-dope here. I’d explain where I think this is going, but lefties read this site and I don’t want to tip them off.

capitalist piglet on September 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM

capitalist piglet on September 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM

might be too late. that thought was covered over the weekend in the middle of the “Trigg is not Sarah’s baby” feeding frenzy.

but… u r right

shhhhhhhhhhh

TheCulturalist on September 2, 2008 at 3:20 PM

I am becoming S T U N N E D at what I’m hearing today…

I have lost ALL RESPECT for Liz Trotta now, and I just heard Soledad O’brien attempting to rebuke Sally Quinn on some absolutley viscious things…

I too have a heavy heart for the Palins.

The left, as well as the elite establishment are fighting to the death, and hopefully it will be their own.

God Bless America…

singlemalt_18 on September 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Changey.

Jaibones on September 2, 2008 at 3:24 PM

I do not want to read what Sullivan wrote.

I do not what to read somebody else talking about what Sullivan wrote.

I do not believe Sullivan thinks, so writing about what he thinks is a waste of my time and perfectly good electrons.

I am actively removing from my list od read-daily blogs those blogs that persist in violating these wishes.

And you can free substitute “Colmes” (and all other such sewer rats) for “Sullivan”.

lsheldon on September 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM

If one good thing has come out of this family bashing, it is that the despicable hate mongers who are responsible have now been exposed (once again) as the spineless guttersnipes they truly are. And now I’m not going to read another thing about it.

scalleywag on September 2, 2008 at 4:23 PM

I have been wondering what Soros thinks of the Palin pick.

You’re lookin’ at it.

Jim Treacher on September 2, 2008 at 8:22 PM

…they are going to tear her down while they can before she becomes a big figure with a large following.

TOO LATE!!

oldleprechaun on September 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM

capitalist piglet on September 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Seems like Team McCain is employing ambush and then give ground to a box canyon to hit with a stronger ambush.

At least that was the analogy I used today when discussing this with an Obamatron.

MoCoM on September 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Its the typical dKKKos lynching of people ‘different’ from them. Hate-mongers!

epb on September 2, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Obama and Kos, Smearing a 17 year old kid, and a down syndrome baby!

Obama is tied to Kos, he spoke to them, at the Kos convention.

Chakra Hammer on September 3, 2008 at 4:31 PM