We have walked in the Palins’ shoes

posted at 2:50 pm on September 1, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit has a great thread on the announcement from the Palins that their eldest daughter, Bristol, is five months pregnant.  Coincidentally, my daughter-in-law is at about the same point in her second pregnancy, and our second granddaughter will join our family at the end of the year.  When our first granddaughter, the Little Admiral, joined us, it was in a similar situation that Bristol and her fiancé now face.

First, this is not some catastrophe, although it is hardly an optimal situation.  As Harold Ramis remarked in Knocked Up, a hurricane is a catastrophe — which we can easily see today.  A baby is new life, an addition to the family, and most people would welcome this.  And many can never experience that joy, either.  It is a blessing, as long as people don’t treat it like a catastrophe.

Our son and daughter-in-law had just started their senior year in high school when they became pregnant, and  I use that pronoun deliberately.  The two of them formed their own unit and held each other up during a terribly stressful year.  Meanwhile, we parents had to support them as best we could, and make sure they knew we loved and supported them through it all.  In return, we discovered two wonderful adults who had just been children shortly before, and when the Little Admiral came, two wonderful parents as well.

None of this was easy, and we certainly all had our moments during this stressful time.  However, we took each day as it came, and we discovered that it really didn’t bring the world to an end or stop the two of them from pursuing their dreams  Like Bristol, our son and daughter-in-law got engaged shortly afterwards, and this month celebrated six years of marriage.  Both of them graduated from college this year, and my son will start graduate school this week.  It took them a little longer, but they achieved their goals.

What does this mean politically?  I think AP has done a good job in addressing this, but really I don’t think politics will enter into it.  The Palins all chose life and lived their values.  That doesn’t strike me as news, as we already saw that with her commitment to her son Trig.  The Democrats won’t dare mention this as a campaign issue, and even the blogs will probably leave it alone soon enough.  Most people, I’d say, will wish Bristol and the Palins well.  None of us quit our jobs to help our son and daughter-in-law cope, and neither will Sarah Palin, because it’s unnecessary.

We would all do better just to admire the Palins for their love and support for Bristol, Bristol’s courage in pursuing motherhood when faced with a difficult but hardly unusual situation, and agree that this has little to do with whether Sarah Palin will make a good Vice President.  Families have been dealing with this since … there were families.  Neither side should use Bristol to score political points.  Keeping them in our prayers would also be the kindest action we can take.

Update: Here are my two posts on the graduations of my son and daughter-in-law.  Also, if we called the first granddaughter the Little Admiral, what should we call our second?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Is it your contention, then, that killing during war, hunting and killing of animals for meat, and capital punishment comprise “murder” in the sense that pro-life conservatives understand the term when they apply it to abortion?

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Murder carries a different connotation, doesn’t it?

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Is it your contention that killing during war, hunting and killing of animals for meat, and capital punishment comprise “murder” in the sense that pro-life conservatives understand the term when they apply it to abortion?

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM

One does not have to believe in the divine to love and protect our children. It is instinctual, and why would I seek to love and protect something that has no value? Of course every child is valuable beyond mention – without them, we would have no purpose, no future as a species. Anna on September 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Well said Anna. There are plenty of folks on this site who need reminding that morals and respect for life are not patently owned by the religious right.

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 6:24 PM

ED,

This shouldn’t hurt Palin much at all. However, if the media finds two or three more situations then it will be perceived as a trend. Coupled with Palin low experience level she will be viewed as an unacceptable risk for Vice President and her support will drop off dramatically. End Game.

BDU-33 on September 1, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Rather than calling him, or you, names, I’ll respond as such:

This is what you call a “winning argument”:

You can be imperfect and still not be a hypocritical slut
philnewkirk on September 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM

No. I would call this rather unrefined. I’d ask for more clarification. Now, I’ll go ahead and step out on a limb and assume (and hopefully not make an ass of you and me) and say this: Jesus said, “you will know them by their fruits.” Sure, Christians aren’t perfect, but I’d argue that if one is a Christian, one would take heed to Jesus’ saying that “[i]f you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” One will seek righteousness, leave their sinful ways, and strive to become like Christ. Did David fail? Yes. Did Paul? Yes. Did James? Of course. As Paul says though, “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?” This may have been philnewkirk’s message, but I can’t say. You’ve have to ask him.

And this:

She knew what she was getting into when she opened her legs. It takes two to tango! And when she chose to keep the baby, she knew what her family would be in for. I guess personal responsibility is only a talking point and not something to live by! LOL!
philnewkirk on September 1, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Again, if you don’t understand his point, then perhaps we should ask for clarification. I don’t know if he’s implying that Miss Palin should have considered an abortion to avoid burdening her parents with a baby or not. I do not agree with that line of reasoning. Two things though: (1) Unless this guy has a ring, a job, and health insurance, I’d tell him to take a hike. (2) There’s no motivation to not have a child out of wedlock if we just say, “oh, that’s ok. We’ll take care of your baby. You really shouldn’t have done that though.” Sure, her parents should help, but not take over. If this girl wanted to be a woman so badly and do womanly things (having sex), then she can start taking responsibility for that choice. The specifics of how this would look would depend on the child, parents, and other circumstances. I’m merely speaking of the principles involved.

Send_Me on September 1, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Perhaps you didn’t read my question fully, let me ask it again, this time with emphasis to make my meaning clear:kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM

No, I read in full your question however you are re-framing the context of the original statement by having me define what the meaning of an alternate word as prescribed by a group of individuals in which I am not a member. We used to play this game during the first year of law school.

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 6:29 PM

We used to play this game during the first year of law school.

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 6:29 PM

And in what year of law school did you learn the game of evasion?

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:30 PM

And in what year of law school did you learn the game of evasion?

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:30 PM

LOL…it’s on the LSAT silly boy!

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 6:33 PM

And we are more than animated dirt, but that is a subject for another thread. I was hesitant to use atheist, but sometimes it’s quicker than wasting three paragraphs to explain.
Anna on September 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM

1. As I say, I mean no offense. I was just inquiring as to the philosophical underpinnings of atheism as it relates to this topic.
2. I do have children and hope for more. I love them for many reasons, not least of which, is that, as a Christian, I believe that my wife and I have done the only thing that is truly eternal: created a soul. All other things will turn to dust and be destroyed. Memories will fade. His soul is precious and my wife and I’s responsibility to nurture into a love for God.
3. Because you said you were an “atheist,” I responded to you as such. If you aren’t an atheist, then, naturally, my assessments and questions would differ.

Send_Me on September 1, 2008 at 6:36 PM

LOL…it’s on the LSAT silly boy!

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Nevertheless, it is quite dishonest of you. The post of yours which started all this read as follows:

You mean fetus killers. You’ve got no problem with killing all other stages and walks of life.

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 5:49 PM

It is obvious to anyone with any reading comprehension that the poster to which you were originally responding, when he said “we’re not KILLERS,” meant the word in the sense of “murder.” For you to pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

Moreover, your response claiming that the poster has “no problem with killing all other stages and walks of life” is, upon plain reading, a reasonably direct accusation of hypocrisy in the matter of his pro-life convictions. This accusation only holds water if the killing of which you accuse them (which I very generously allowed you to define down as including only killing during war, hunting, and capital punishment) is on the same moral plane as abortion. Unless you have been living in a bottle, you know this is not so; first of all, killing in war on the battlefield is not only accepted by modern Christians as morally neutral, it was accepted as such by every notable writer within the Judeo-Christian tradition until perhaps sometime in the last century, roughly speaking. Second, only PETA members and similar extremists look upon the killing and eating of animals as anything remotely close to murder, morally speaking. Third, while there is almost certainly a more respectable pedigree for the idea of capital punishment as murder, and comparable as such to abortion, if that is what you mean by your words, it is disingenuous in the extreme for you to avoid coming out and saying it.

Finally, while I am willing to leave unremarked (beyond these words here) your re-definition of your terms, the fact remains that your original post in this argument accused the poster of being willing to kill “ALL other stages and walks of life.” [emphasis mine]. This is an extreme statement, and quite indefensible, and you might bear that in mind as you take others to task for the precision of their language.

All in all, I am not tremendously impressed with your honesty, intellectual or otherwise, but I am willing to have my initial impressions proven wrong.

Your ball.

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Send_Me on September 1, 2008 at 6:36 PM

I find the term atheist usually to be too strong (and makes people think of Hitchens, whom I loathe)- nontheist is more accurate. I’ve studied Taoism for years, and have gathered my personal philosophy from a multitude of sources, including quantum physics. Atheist is easier, because when one hears it, one knows that the lack of belief in God is there (which is true on my part).

No offense taken, really. I’m just not too keen on having my personal opinion being refuted by a quote from a book I do not believe in – only because it was my opinion, though. If I had stated a fact, and you corrected that, I’d be down with that. : )

Anna on September 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM

I’ll take a swing at it. The difference is intent. We punish someone who has been driving recklessly, speeding and swerving in traffic, and who kills an innocent bystander on the side of the road. Most states have a vehicular manslaughter, or a lesser degree of murder for the event. It being understood that while the individual was acting recklessly, the intent to deprive someone of life was not there. We don’t punish the offender by giving them death, we punish them for their crime, in context of the situation. Intent Sir, is the point of the issue.

Killing a moose or an elk for meat is part of the cycle of life, part of the world that God created. We have no choice but to eat things that were once alive, be it vegetable, or animal. Lettuce for my salad was a living, growing thing. It would have lived had I not taken it for my salad. In order to live, I must consume it, as it must consume nutrients which were once other living things to live itself. Much of the nutrients it needs are created when other living things die. Mulch or Compost is made from green things for the most part, things that were once alive. This nutrient rich material allows us to grow more food, but that food is also alive.

It’s a question of respect of life. Are we killing the elk, the cow, or the chicken to amuse ourselves? Or are we killing it aware of the circle of life, with respect for God’s creation, this life. Again, it’s the intent of the individual in question that matters. I personally respect life, which is why I will always error on the side of life when given the chance. I understand the miracle that each blade of grass represents. I didn’t design this world, and the way it works, and I’ll not question the wisdom of the One who did create it.

The intent of Abortion is clear. It is to rid yourself of a life, not so you can survive, those as you know make up less than one percent of the million abortions each year. It is to rid yourself of a nuisance life. The same liberals who bemoan those who cherish life will inevitably denounce and demand severe punishment for anyone who kills a dog or cat because it has become a nuisance. Aren’t the two doing the same thing? Isn’t the thoughtless fool who drowns kittens in the river no different than a woman who has an abortion? They gain nothing personally from the deaths, except that they are no longer bothered by the lives they took.

I have little compassion for the person who destroys animals to amuse him or herself, or because they are a nuisance. Why should I feel that a person has a right to extinguish a life for pretty much the same reason?

Life matters, and should be respected. I don’t see a problem with a girl who respects the life growing within her. I don’t think there is something to be ashamed about. Respecting life is something to be respected, not ashamed of. Perhaps you can tell me Sir, why is the decision to choose life worthy of derision?

Snake307 on September 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Ed:

Thanks for the reminder of your own family circumstances. One would prefer their children to be partially established before starting a family. Life isn’t perfect. Sometimes, teenagers act like teenagers.

fluffy on September 1, 2008 at 7:06 PM

What about fleas? Because I totally massacred a growing population of them today, just because they were annoying the cats and the family. I’m totally down with killing insects that are a nuisance. Only insects, and some arachnids, but they’re close enough.

Your post was well thought-out. I enjoyed reading it.

Anna on September 1, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Teenagers having unprotected sex? Stop the presses.

Twits!

Ed:

Honor the Corps, Little Commandant had pizzaz.

Ooo Rah!

El Coqui on September 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Your post was well thought-out. I enjoyed reading it.

Anna on September 1, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I recognize the tongue in cheek tone of the message, however, fleas and other insects are more than a nuisance. They present a huge health risk. Fleas, mosquito’s, and many other insects transmit disease, and present the risk of massive health risks. Now mosquito repellents point out that using them may help prevent the spread of among other things, avian flu.

Thank you for the compliment. And I myself recently eradicated the flea population within my house/yard. I also am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to eliminate the fire ant population from my yard, however I want a rainy day before I spread the poison, to prevent the inadvertent and unintended consequence of making my own domestic pets sick or worse.

Snake307 on September 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Snake307 on September 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Totally off-topic now, but I have to ask: What did you use to rid yourself of the fleas? We’re on our second wave of attacks, and nothing seems to work anymore.

And yeah, these fleas are a health risk, as one of my sons and one of my cats are both allergic. Death to fleas!

Anna on September 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM

DanKenton: “There are plenty of folks on this site who need reminding that morals and respect for life are not patently owned by the religious right.”

Care to name some names and give us some examples (and don’t bother including me, because I haven’t been in a church in 40 years)? Seriously, I don’t recall seeing much of that attitude here, or I doubt that I would visit here very much. But if you can cite some examples, I will happily acknowledge my ignorance. Let ‘er rip.

drunyan8315 on September 1, 2008 at 8:19 PM

…and even the blogs will probably leave it alone soon enough.

I wonder. The far-left newsgroups (yes, Usenet) are chock-full of the most imaginitive slanders and lies.

Paul_in_NJ on September 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Teenagers having unprotected sex? Stop the presses.
El Coqui on September 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM

It’s because of this attitude, this nonchalant appeasement to immoral behavior, that more and more kids are doing it. We tell kids, “well, it’s not good for you to do it, and please don’t, but don’t worry, if you do, we love you and look forward to helping you raise your child,” then wonder why they do it. Parenting starts from infancy. Parenting isn’t a matter of controlling behavior. It’s a matter of molding the child’s heart, or, as one book is titled, “Shepherding a Child’s Heart.”
If we can’t trust her to manage her own home, then why should we trust her with the Vice Presidency?

Send_Me on September 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM

drunyan8315 on September 1, 2008 at 8:19 PM

I’m going to give you enough credit and assume you know how to search the archives. Look for topics containing either Hitchens or Dawkings (the recent box-office flop, “Expelled” comes to mind). I have seen plenty of posts on this site denigrating Atheists and other “non-believers” as immoral and unrepentant.

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 8:57 PM

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Not my fight, but I concur. I’ve been called a Satanist and worse by St. Olaf, specifically, and there have been other incidents in the past involving other, similarly-minded people (mostly identified as trolls by other commenters).

Anna on September 1, 2008 at 9:01 PM

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 8:57 PM
Anna on September 1, 2008 at 9:01 PM

I feel your pain. Not all who are Christians are disrespectful or ignorant of philosophy, reason, history and science. Now, yes, I do believe that atheists are wrong, but just because I disagree with the worldview does not translate into me disliking people who hold such views. I look forward to future conversations with you folks.
Here are some comments I wrote a while back when things got a little…immature.

By what I’ve seen there, I can’t imagine why ____ or any non-Christian would want to become one. Jesus said that people would “know them by their fruits.” Paul said, “If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.” This is not to say that we are not to argue, to use reason to find Truth. Peter said, “always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.” How many times in Acts does it say that Paul “reasoned in the synagogue?” “Reasoned”, not “tongue lashed.”
Bottom line: If you say you are a Christian, then “bridle your tongue” when discussing a topic with others. Ask yourself what you plan to accomplish with the words you say.

Send_Me on September 1, 2008 at 9:18 PM

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Kilt, this was not MY definition but rather an example of one specific individual, GWB. However, adhering to this theme, I find your specific arguments for the above outline more or less predictably vacuous. To say that killing during times of war is morally neutral is akin to rationalizing the act as simply a means to an end. Although this strategy is fair game among Christians, it certainly doesn’t mean that other groups, religious or not, find this rationale confusing. Also, your presumptuous dismissal of animal rights groups as “extremists” speaks for itself; specifically in terms of their platform and not actions, of course. Capital punishment? Is this not a fair topic? Can someone claim to cherish the “sanctity of life” for the unborn while championing state-sponsored killing? That said, how about we get specific then? Doctors who perform abortions or manage clinics that perform abortions are sometimes the unfortunate but premeditated AND intended victims of those that cherish the “sanctity of life”. Is this another example of moral neutrality? I had the unfortunate opportunity in assisting the defense of one of these “soldiers for jesus” and was quite astonished as to the “moral reconciliation” given by the suspect and the organization which paid for his defense…his church. Is that genuine enough for you?

DanKenton on September 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM

I’m sure there would be a similar outpouring of support and exhortations to “leave them alone” if Barack Obama’s 17 year old daughter got pregnant.

skylark on September 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Anna on September 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM

For the house, I used several applications of Borax, spread it down, and then wait about twenty minutes, and vacuume it up. Repeat in a few days, it doesn’t work 100% right away, but it’s safe for pets and people. For the yard, I wish I had DDT, but instead I’ve put down several different things of late. Dry and wet chemicals. I even used a fogger outside so while I’ve seen a drop in incidence of Fleas, I’m not sure which worked the best. In Georgia, we consider insects to be an ongoing battle, not one you ever truly win.

My choice of words, eradicate, was wrong and misleading. I apologize for that. Now, back to the topic. The totally callous behavior of the Liberals and the support for life and family by the Conservatives.

Snake307 on September 1, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I’ve walked in Palin’s other pair of shoes. I have a son with Down syndrome and found that also is not a life stopping catastrophe.

I’m amazed at the number of liberals that think these events in her life should cause her to step down. Weird folk these liberals are.

Candy Slice on September 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM

she totally looks pregnant in that picture. I thought that before the info that she was pregnant came out.

ThackerAgency on September 1, 2008 at 10:49 PM

I haven’t read all of the previous blogs, I usually try to but just got home.
Send_me: it’s obvious you haven’t had a 17 year old child in your home yet. Parents feel guilty enough and constantly blame themselves for it. For you to blame Sarah and her husband is unconscionable. You know nothing about it and yet you judge them.
You can teach children everything and yet they make their own decisions. You forget there is another person involved and hormones are raging. It is heartbreaking and very difficult for the families. It isn’t fun to see your child suddenly have to become an adult. They are now parents in an adult world, and life has begun in earnest. You can give them all the love and support and you can surely get on your knees and pray for them.
Yes, I know about it.

Bambi on September 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Kill or be killed. Or Eat or be eaten. A child is our future. To kill a child for convenience is a serious destruction of the future of our species and should not be advocated unless to save a mother.

But it used to be destruction of a woman’s respectability and future prosperity as a married woman to be pregnant out of wedlock. That is why abortion or hidden pregnancies happened.

That is not the case today. A girl can have a child and still finish high school and get a job and go to college. The only lessen risk is finding a husband who is willing to take on another’s child. Men do that everyday. So the need for women to have an abortion or to give up a child for adoption is less. But abortion is not less. It is being used as an alternative birth control, because the woman was too lazy to use birth control effectively and got pregnant instead.

What bothers me these days is that girls are willing to get pregnant by a male that they do not want to marry. Why have a biological tie to a male that lasts for decades when a marriage can last even less? They are afraid of marriage, which can be ended, but not having a child by that male. Does not make sense. I have known several teenage girls who chose to get pregnant, it was not a mistake. Then realized the guy was a jerk and the girls family takes it all on themselves to raise the child and support the mother and child.

RAH on September 1, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Absolutely; they’re also owned by people who say things like “you funny little fetus freaks.”

Jim Treacher on September 1, 2008 at 11:36 PM

ThackerAgency on September 1, 2008 at 10:49 PM

yea right…I don’t believe you for a second…

jerrytbg on September 2, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Bambi on September 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Parents feel guilty enough and constantly blame themselves for it.

Why do all parents feel guilty?

What else do I need to know? Also, her parents aren’t exclusively to blame, though, yes, some of it is theirs. (Titus 1, 1 Timothy 3)

You can teach children everything and yet they make their own decisions.

Quite true. Her daughter chose to be promiscuous, which didn’t work out too well. Galatians 6 speaks of what to do now.

You forget there is another person involved and hormones are raging.

Yep, been there. And you know what? It is possible to wait until one’s wedding night. How do I know? I’ve done it. This isn’t to boast, but my wife and I are so thankful that we were able to give each other that gift. (1 Corinthians 10:13) Now, in terms of the “other person,” her boyfriend: if he impregnated my daughter, he’d better not come to my house without a ring, a job, and health insurance, on top of being a Christian himself. If he thinks he’s man enough to get her pregnant, then he can support them. Otherwise, my daughter would stay with the family.

It is heartbreaking and very difficult for the families.

I don’t doubt it.

My children are still very young. I’ve seen families raise sons and daughters who at 12, 15, 18 were more mature than most folks in their 30s and 40s. They were raising Men and Women, not teenagers. I’m here to raise warriors for God and release them upon the world. I don’t plan on having to kick them out. Sending them off into the world is a commissioning day. I’m excited for that day, though I’m not counting the days until “freedom” from my children. After they leave home, I plan on being “base” for my kids, the patriarch of my family. (Deuteronomy 6, Ephesians 6, Titus 2)

I do. Every day, every night.
Here are two sermons that may interest you. The first by Voddie Baucham, the second by Paul Washer. They are hard-hitting, but I ask that you give them a try. I’m not here to be a jerk, really, I am not. I’m merely here to speak the truth as I understand it from Scripture.

Send_Me on September 2, 2008 at 12:34 AM

yea right…I don’t believe you for a second…

jerrytbg on September 2, 2008 at 12:01 AM

You don’t have to. I have a sense about these things sometimes. I asked my assistant if she was pregnant when I came in one day and she said, ‘no’. A week later she told me she was pregnant (unwed, cute, young).

But I seriously thought, ‘she looks pregnant in that picture’. Now it’s not proper to actually ask because if she isn’t, well you just called her fat. But it definitely looks like she’s more than one person in that picture to me.

ThackerAgency on September 2, 2008 at 12:50 AM

But of course, it could just be the lighting and the clothes and the angle. She might not even be pregnant in this picture. . . but that’s what I thought.

ThackerAgency on September 2, 2008 at 12:51 AM

ThackerAgency on September 2, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Oh, you’re AMAZING!!!1!!1ONE!1ELEVENTY!!11!

If you didn’t say it at the time, it’s too late. That’s the rule.

FAIL.

fossten on September 2, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Call her the Pink Admiral. Can’t have a lesser rank that the first.

NaCly dog on September 2, 2008 at 1:53 AM

I really don’t see why this story has legs at all. Her daughter made a mistake (the mistake being the premarital sex, not the pregnancy) and is now taking responsibility. She’s going to marry the father, raise the child, etc. Even if this had been Sarah Palin’s mistake rather than her daughter’s, so what? It’s how people take responsibility that matters. We all make mistakes.

On the political side though, if the left chooses to make this an issue I think they will really shoot themselves in the foot. Although leftist gaffes are nice, in this case I just hope they leave the girl alone.

Gaunilon on September 2, 2008 at 2:37 AM

As a father of a 21 year-old and a 16 year-old, I have some authority on this matter. We, as parents, can teach, communicate, counsel and offer advise, but at the end of the day, dealing with teenage hormones, all we can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best.

BobfromAtlanta on September 2, 2008 at 5:49 AM

If this has been proffered already, my apologies. I have a hard time deep scanning the comments recently because of the Palin Malice Syndrome.

The Commodorable?

rhodeymark on September 2, 2008 at 5:57 AM

We sure get exercised at something that’s none of our business dont we?
A 17 year old girl gets pregnant, with help of course. How many of us here had expert judgment when we were 17? Show of hands, please? I thought so.
At least Mom Sarah didnt pack Bristol off to an abortion mill to expres her “right” to choose. They chose life. And as conservatives that’s what we expect. They’re doing the right thing – standing by their daughter when she needs it. They dont need our criticism and certainly dont need our judgment. What they do is their business as a family.
And as far as family values, you do the best you can and hope something gets through. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. And one thing I’ve learned in this life is you dont always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need, and we need Sarah Palin right now.

abcurtis on September 2, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Send_Me, I hope that your children remain faithful to the things you are teaching them; I know many teenagers do. But I can tell you that we raised our kids with PRECISELY the same attitude and expectation. We were extremely active and beyond regular in our Church attendance, had family prayer and Bible study, lived our beliefs in our personal lives — and today we have three adult children, none of whom share our faith. There are simply too many variables beyond our control as parents to assume that the outcome is within our control. Eventually, they will make their own decisions, and they may decide differently than we’d like. I advise you to keep doing all of the things you are doing, but in the back of your mind be sure you know what you will do if your 17-year-old daughter comes in one day and says “Mom, Dad, I have something to tell you.” It CAN happen to you.

-RegularJoe

RegularJoe on September 2, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Bambi on September 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Parents feel guilty enough and constantly blame themselves for it.

Why do all parents feel guilty?

Ok, Send_me, it sounds like you seem to answer your own question. You ask me why do parents feel quilty? Then you go on to blame the Palins.

No matter what your children do wrong you blame yourself. Wait a few years and see. You can try and put them in a bubble, you keep them locked in their room, you can keep them away from tv and in the house. However, there comes a time when they will make up their own mind. The girl could have gone to an abortion clinic and her parents would never have to know. You know our government. She didn’t. I hope God blesses them and the family, because I know how hard it’s going to be and how much help and moral support the family has to give.
I wish no one had to face it.
I hope, with all your preaching, that when you raise those precious little souls that they always do what is right.

Bambi on September 2, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Now I need to get to work.

Bambi on September 2, 2008 at 9:00 AM

This whole hullaballoo is absolutely stupid. My youngest daughter became pregnant before she was married . . . she then married the father and gave birth to a son that is now a 27 year old successful man. And yes, she and her husband are still happily married. In my younger years, had anyone said anything derogatory about my daughter, I would have dropped them where they stood. Only these left wing lemmings and their enablers in the brain dead media could act so stupidly.

rplat on September 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM

Having faced a similar decision in my own life, and without the support of the baby’s father, I know that this is a difficult time for Bristol, her fiance and both families. However, it is the right decision. My son, now a 21 year old productive member of society, is the best thing that ever happened to me. I frequently say, he is the only good thing I’ve ever done in my life. The familys’ support is critical and I respect the Palins for facing the challenge.

Willie on September 2, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Only a LIBERAL or Democrat would tell anyone that a child is a burden.

tx2654 on September 2, 2008 at 9:54 AM

A 17 year-old girl — a teenager — young lady — had fallen in love with a man.

It didn’t matter that this man was not only married, but was the father of an infant son by his wife — who was again pregnant with their second child.

It did not bother this young lady with this small detail, because she promptly became pregnant with this man’s child.

This woman-child was seventeen and unmarried when she conceived. The father is married with children.

The young lady of whom I am referring; the young lady who was three months with child before marrying the never-divorced father of her child — is, of course, Ann Dunham — the mother of Barack Obama.

reshas1 on September 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, I don’t really know Palin at all, so all I see is a pretty woman. When I saw people like Jeanne Kirkpatrick and Margaret Thatcher, I saw capable politicians first, and women only much later. Anyway, let’s hope for the best.

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2008 at 10:15 AM

… so if you don’t know Palin at all, why would you comment before getting to know her? It seems to me you’ve made a foolish rush to judgment (something with which I have altogether too much experience). Why not get to know her before deciding whether or not she is a good choice?

RegularJoe on September 2, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Oops. Newcomer mistake; I put the previous in the wrong string. Sorry.

RegularJoe on September 2, 2008 at 12:06 PM

All these parents talking about their kids and how what they would or wouldn’t do – let me tell you about my parents.

My parents were the best parents, strong & disciplined, yet loving – married for almost 47 years, and my mom didn’t have sex until marriage (so the perfect example). They had 2 daughters.

My sister had sex w/her boyfriend in high school. I waited until 27 y.o. (w/my husband).

Anyone who claims to be the ‘perfect’ parent care to comment on that? Same parents, same upbringing, completely different results.

WHY? Different teenagers, that’s WHY! My sister thought she was ‘in love’, while I knew I was too young to know what that was at 16.

I was an old soul at 4, so wasn’t a typical teenager to begin with…that’s why I think I avoided what many don’t.

Looking back now, I realize how hard my parents fought for my sister.

Bristol, though, is stepping up and realizing the responsibilities from her errors. I’ve known older women who’ve been less adult in their decisions, and I respect Bristol and her boyfriend for doing the right thing.

The Palins may have been stern to their child (like my mom would’ve been had I done this) by making it clear that by getting pregnant she now had to follow through on her ‘adult’ behavior by getting married and carrying the child to term. That is what adults do, is take responsibility for their actions, and I applaud the Palins for living their policies. I would do the same.

Miss_Anthrope on September 2, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Miss_Anthrope: Amen!

Bambi on September 2, 2008 at 5:18 PM

I’ll try again.
Miss_Anthrope: Amen!

Bambi on September 2, 2008 at 5:19 PM

God bless you, the first mate, and all of your extended crew, Captain Ed. I do not know if I would have been able to handle the situation with but a portion of the grace your family (and the Palins) exhibited.

chsw

chsw on September 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM

It really bothered me this morning when I stopped by La Shawn Barber’s site this morning. She insists Bristol should give her baby up for adoption.

Mrs. Happy Housewife on September 2, 2008 at 6:16 PM

And apparently I’m bothered so much that I’m now repeating the phrase “this morning”.

Mrs. Happy Housewife on September 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. This is an interesting topic. While environment and shaping influences play a role in a child’s development, they are not assuring of whether a child will turn out well or not. If I may, I’ll quote a portion of Tedd Tripp’s book, “Shepherding a Child’s Heart”:
“Determinism makes parents conclude that good shaping influences will automatically produce good children. This often bears bitter fruit later in life. Parents who have an unruly and troublesome teenager or young adult conclude that the problem is the shaping influences they provided. They think if they had made a little better home, things would have turned out okay. They forget that the child is never determined solely by the shaping influences of life. Remember that Proverbs 4:23 instructs you that the heart is the fountain from which life flows. Your child’s heart determines how he responds to your parenting.”
Practically speaking, my goal is for my wife and I to be the first to introduce our children to “the world.” For example, our goal is to talk with our children, as their maturity dictates, about sex before their friends do. We’ll explain, first and foremost, the proper context for it, then, as their maturity grows, explain more and more, based upon their questions and inevitable exposure to the world. The key is communication and focus on the heart, not the prevention of bad behavior.

However, there comes a time when they will make up their own mind.

I agree wholeheartedly. Some kids check out of the home by age 11, which is tragic, but mostly preventable I’d argue. Like I say, if we try to only manage the environment and offer reward/punishments without affecting the child’s heart, then we’ll fail.

The girl could have gone to an abortion clinic and her parents would never have to know. You know our government. She didn’t. I hope God blesses them and the family, because I know how hard it’s going to be and how much help and moral support the family has to give. I wish no one had to face it.

I agree. She could have made two wrongs, but she didn’t. I pray her folks pray take heed to Galatians 6 and are successful in bringing her back into the fold. I also agree that I wish no one sinned, including myself, but I do and hate it. As someone once said: “Sin = Self-inflicted nonsense.” I pray Miss Palin discovers for herself that the Bible is true and that its teachings work. Later in life, she’ll have quite a testimony to share. I pray nothing but the best for her.

Bambi on September 2, 2008 at 8:59 AM

My prayer and mission in life in regards to my children is this: (1) That they will love the Lord with all of their heart, mind and soul. (2) That they will love their neighbors as themselves. (3) If they do the first two, then the rest will fall into place in terms of behavior. If they fail, I will rebuke them, discipline them, train them, and forgive them, loving them by, with, and through each of those steps.

Send_Me on September 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Send_Me on September 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM

As was mine. As is my son and his wife (his 2nd wife – with 7 children of their own) plus 2 from a disastrous 1st marriage (toooo young). Home school, read scriptures together every morning, teach the children that service to others is paramount, that Christ is the center of their life, pray together, play together. I pray daily that they will all turn out to be God fearing and loving and kind and every other thing you would wish for them. It will break my heart if one strays.
But if one does, I will not blame their parents who have dedicated their lives to their children.
This is way too much personal information to get into, but I do want to say that he went on to graduate from law school and his wife is a nurse.

Bambi on September 2, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Anna,
I hope you come back and read this…
Thank you for putting your thoughts so eloquently.

jerrytbg on September 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Thank you, jerrytbg.

Anna on September 3, 2008 at 10:42 AM

kiltedscotsman5 on September 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Computer problem?

DanKenton on September 3, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Great post Ed.
Gotta say I sure feel sorry for Bristol putting up with all this garbage. But what a lesson in human nature!
Anyone with kids knows that no matter how great a parent you, you can still end up with kids who do dumb things. I’m sure many lefty radicals had great parents.
Having a baby when you’re a child yourself is hard (I know). But why in God’s name would you want to make it worse for them? And sometimes things do happen for a reason. So if Bristol & her man end up finished someday, it was right to make a go of it.
Children are our future, no matter how in the hell they get here. It’s time we cherish them.

Badger40 on September 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Send_Me on September 2, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Do you understand the part that speaks of forgiveness? Or the part that says “for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God?” (hint – that includes me and you)

Squiggy on September 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Another victory for abstinence only sex education and no contraception.

When will you jesus people ever learn that this doesn’t work?

Xolom on September 1, 2008 at 3:01 PM

So if someone falls down, that’s proof that teaching about gravity just doesn’t work?

If she’d been abstinent, I’m pretty sure she would still not be pregnant.

What really doesn’t work is teaching birth control rather than abstinence. Those so “educated” think they can do whatever they want, as long as they use a condom. That leads to many more teen pregnancies than abstinence education.

Are you really sure you’re qualified to instruct us “Jesus people?”

Hint: birth control is not always effective, and the more you have sex, the greater the chance that birth control will one day fail you.

theregoestheneighborhood on September 4, 2008 at 1:15 AM

It’s interesting seeing how people react to events like this. Apparently some people feel that nothing but stoning is sufficient now. (Note: That’s hyperbole, for the irony-challenged) More to the point, some seem to feel that anything short of instant condemnation condones the behavior.

Relax: it’s as wrong as it’s ever been. And it still happens, even to those who were brought up in strong moral homes and should have known better.

This is not a sin that God refuses to forgive. Many marriages have started off badly like this, without being forever ruined.

I’ve known good solid families in our church before, every bit as respected as any other, and realized what I had forgotten: that that particular marriage had begun with a pregnant bride.

I knew at least one boy of about 12 years of age who one day realized that his age at his birthday was greater than the number of years his parents had been married. I was quite surprised, since I would never have imagined it of them.

It doesn’t do much good to fret about what can’t be undone. And pregnancy really can’t be undone.

When Joseph was betrothed to Mary and found her pregnant, he of course assumed she had committed fornication. But rather than see her publicly humiliated or embarrassed, he thought to dissolve the pending marriage quietly. Why? According to the Bible, because he was a “just man, and mot willing to make her a public example.” Even in the days when fornication was taken very seriously, there was nothing immoral about showing compassion.

As politics goes, though, this is basically a dog-bites-man story. Hardly earth-shattering.

theregoestheneighborhood on September 4, 2008 at 2:09 AM