Arrival at the RNCC

posted at 12:57 pm on September 1, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve arrived at the RNCC in St. Paul, even though the convention itself won’t do much today.  Right now, I’m listening to a rehearsal of the Star Spangled Banner and watching the levees getting topped in New Orleans.  The joint’s pretty quiet here, but I’ve managed to link up with Fausta and Lady Logician.   I also tok a brief bit of video showing my vantage point here in the hall:

You can see that the Republican logos have all been taken down. Instead, the motto “Country First” and the American flag have become permanently displayed rather than on a cycle with party images. They may have Laura Bush and Cindy McCain come to the center today to keep people informed, but don’t expect a lot of fanfare or coverage.

At the end, take a look at the juxtaposition of MS-NBC and Al-Jazeera. I figured that would amuse Hot Air readers.

Comments

hahah.. aljazeera and msnbc next to each other. I love it.

justinok on September 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Ed,
Can you do a live feed when it gets started?

TheSitRep on September 1, 2008 at 1:01 PM

MS-NBC and Al-Jazeera

Well, birds of a feather…..

ThePrez on September 1, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Hey Ed,

I hope you don’t get a nose bleed being so high up there.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I’m so jealous…have a great time Ed!

winewife on September 1, 2008 at 1:04 PM

At the end, take a look at the juxtaposition of MS-NBC and Al-Jazeera

Heartache: sans Olby who’s been dispatched to report on crucify the response to Gustaf.

BuckeyeSam on September 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM

LOL! We are amused.

D0WNT0WN on September 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Sooo, Ed, anything interesting going on.

Be nice to here your views on Sarah’s daughter considering your family went through a not quite similar thing years ago.

rbj on September 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Why was al-Jazerra even allowed inside?

Elric66 on September 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM

They should be playing the Foul Fowler video on the big screen. The prickbastis was LAUGHING at the idea of Gustav hitting N.O. during the RNC. Laughing. Then he said it was proof that god was on their side. I see it as the other way around, it’s a challenge for our side and a chance for us to shine. God doesn’t do anything directly FOR us, He presents us with opportunities to overcome obstacles.

Tony737 on September 1, 2008 at 1:06 PM

well, surely they share some technical staff so it makes sense …
:-)
:-)

Buckaroo on September 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Ed, have you been given an updated schedule?

I just ask because I want to know if Fred and Mrs. McCain are still going to speak?

Spirit of 1776 on September 1, 2008 at 1:09 PM

hahah.. aljazeera and msnbc next to each other. I love it.

justinok on September 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Al Jazeera wanted to appear mainstream.

Chuck Schick on September 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM

“D0WNT0WN”

hey — watched your vid last nite — if there is any justice in this world they will play it wed. at the convention. It was AWESOME!

Buckaroo on September 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Make sure to bring a parachute with you in case you need to leave in a hurry. You’ll need it.

Weebork on September 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM

MS-NBS should be positioned to the left of al-Jazzera as they are on most issues. It would be hard to determine which is the most anti-American in their presentations of “the truth.”

volsense on September 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Good news, McCain’s raised $47 million in August, $10 million since the Palin announcement:

Dudley Smith on September 1, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I have a feeling this thing will get going sometime sooner than we thought.

That “mother of all storms” doesn’t look like much from the coverage .. despite the breathless, panicky, “ALERT!! ALERT!! ALERT!!”‘s on the news.

cgoode777 on September 1, 2008 at 1:15 PM

“That “mother of all storms” doesn’t look like much from the coverage”

yeah, kinda funny how God decided to knock it down to a cat 2 for landfall — but mebbe we should ask those theologians at the dnc ’bout that …
:-)

Buckaroo on September 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Very Nice !! Looks like you have a good view of what’s going on Ed. Now if you could zoom in to the podium…
I find it very interesting that RNC & McCain have dropped everything to go help Gulf Coast, while fresh prince of chicago is somewhere in Ohio pontificating that he hopes everything turns out okay. Loser.

grasshopper68 on September 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Are there any bloggers covering the trials and tribulations of the piss-wielding protestors? I heard the police had a little surprise for them last night. Some nice takedowns.

Any good local bloggers who can get an angle on the events in the street?

Lileks has the sort of man-on-the-street thing, and he works the cities, but this isn’t really his domain. He’s a pop-culture guy.

jeff_from_mpls on September 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM

D0WNT0WN on September 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Hey, 17,777 hits on your vid. in less than 24 hours after you posted it.
Good work.

I just played it again for my 11 year old son. He was all smiles, even after he saw a tear of joy and relief (that we are really going to win this thing with her help), in my eye.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM

:-)

Buckaroo on September 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM

That’s just because Michael Moore specifically asked God to spare the people of New Orleans this time, since we all already “get” His little joke on George Bush and the Republicans by sending a hurricane to NOLA on the opening day of the RNC. God listens to Michael Moore, you see.

aero on September 1, 2008 at 1:30 PM

hahah.. aljazeera and msnbc next to each other. I love it.

justinok on September 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Al Jazeera wanted to appear mainstream.

Chuck Schick on September 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM

But does Al Jazeera want to be tainted by being next to MSNBC?

rbj on September 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I would guess they probably share many things like reporters, storylines and bias :)

Dawnsblood on September 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Watching Fox.

Geraldo’s having an absolute ball.

Dastardly storm.

cgoode777 on September 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I just got back from Virginia and a lady name Kerry Doughtery (not positive on the spelling) who writes for the Virginia Pilot was not very impressed with the job the Dems did in Denver. It seems they are more interested in Green than in people. I heard her on the radio but I am linking her column.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM

cgoode777 on September 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

He’s a trip isn’t he? Good grief!

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I love how Arianna Huffington says partisanship, the whole “left-right” thing, is outdated – and then lets her colors fly by endorsing Keith “Lies through his Teeth” Olbermann as a “truth seeker.”

She wouldn’t even shut up when Tucker was trying to give his opinion of the global warming debate.

Its sad, when you think about it.

Ryan Gandy on September 1, 2008 at 5:04 PM