Rasmussen: Obama’s convention bounce gone

posted at 11:30 am on August 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

That didn’t take long.  Three days after the end of the convention and the supposedly historic speech given by Barack Obama, Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll puts him back to where he was before the convention started.  The Republican convention starts tomorrow, and the Democrat has already started backwards:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Sunday—the day before the Republican National Convention is scheduled to begin—shows Barack Obama ahead of John McCain by three percentage points both with and without leaners. That’s exactly the same edge Obama enjoyed a week ago on the eve of the Democratic National Convention. …

There have been significant changes in perception of John McCain in the two days of polling since he named Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. Since then, 49% of Republicans voice a Very Favorable opinion of McCain. That’s up six percentage points from 43% just before the announcement. Also, 64% of unaffiliated voters now give positive reviews to McCain, up ten points since naming his running mate.

There has been little change in perceptions of Obama since his Thursday night speech and the Palin announcement.

Once again, the polling numbers show that the Obama speech was a dud.  Most of his bounce came from speeches given by Hillary and Bill Clinton, as they did their best to unify the party behind the nominee.  Obama had an opportunity to play for the center, but instead of sounding presidential and accommodating, he offered the same tired stump speech, the same Bush bashing, and the same vagueries as people heard — even if he did deliver it from a big stage with lots of fireworks.

After squandering a double-digit lead this summer, nothing Obama has done shows that he can make a comeback on his own.  He barely survived the primaries after taking the momentum from Hillary in February, and now he’s lost it to McCain.  The more America sees of Barack Obama, the more they appear to like John McCain, and now the Republicans have the opportunity to seize the momentumn for good this week.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What’s so hilarious about this is that Obama’s cheerleaders in the media are now trying to plant the meme that Obama has proven his executive skills by running such a great campaign for the last 12 months.

rockmom on August 31, 2008 at 11:41 AM

A campaign in which he was getting whipped by Hillary towards the end, couldn’t carry big industrial states, and every time there was a screw-up he blamed it on his staff.

Wethal on August 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

We are talking about John Kerry. JOHN KERRY receiving that many votes. When many on our side were predicting a landslide for Bush, based on how pathetic was Kerry. You can attribute it to a growing population all you want, but there is no way that Kerry should have garnered that much support.

All I am saying is that we are 60 days out of the election and people are already assuming McCain-Palin has won. That is a dangerous attitude to have when there is so much hard work and campaigning to do yet.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Yes. And your point about Kerry being so close to winning is a good one, and important to remember. It’s just the “2nd most votes” that isn’t really germaine. It is the fact that he got almost as many votes as Bush and that he only lost Ohio by a little bit.

This “most in history” line is abused all the time, usually with respect to spending. I have a general problem with it in all contexts, except those where the underlying is not growing and the count is actually a “record” and not just a result of growth or inflation.

progressoverpeace on August 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

The One , of all people, should understand that a deflated basketball has no bounce.

coldwarrior on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

ManlyRash on August 31, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Ditto’s here MR, I have never heard Rush say those words.

Keemo on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

ManlyRash on August 31, 2008 at 12:23 PM

And I’ve listened to his show every day since September of 2001. So what. Yes he warned not to take things lightly and work hard to win (as I have been saying the last couple days about this campaign), but he also stated that he had faith in the American people to do the right thing and they wouldn’t fall for the lies of the Democrats and would not put them in charge. They did. I was devastated, because I believed in Rush’s faith in the American people. Now I no longer do that.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM

So I guess the advice of “Great Kid. Don’t get Cocky” was “wallowing in defeat” and “only seeing sh*t”? Please. I’m pointing to history. No campaign is won in August or September. 2000 was close. 2004 was close. 2008 will be close. 2000 and 2004 were won based on a LOT of hard work by grassroots, not assuming victory.

No one here is only seeing sh*t and wallowing in defeat. I’m focusing on the task at hand and understand that these polls don’t mean anything. They have been changing all over the place since last year. They will be all over the place for the next 2 months as well.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Why do you insist on sucking the enthusiasm out of the Palin pick?

Enthusiasm leads to victory.

Hand-wringing leads to indifference.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I’m getting comments all the time from people who say that Obama’s campaign has more people than Alaska. Well, look how good the campaign is doing.

We made history by selecting a black man for the Democratic party… let’s make MORE history by making Obama the first black Democrat to LOSE an election.

originalpechanga on August 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM

You’re more frightened of success than you are of failure.

Why? Because failure, although painful- is FAMILIAR.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Enthusiasm leads to victory.

Hand-wringing leads to indifference.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM

No, hard work leads to victory. Enthusiam helps to motivate people to work hard, but the hard work is what leads to victory. Obama’s supporters are the most enthusiastic people I have ever seen in a political campaign in my short time following politics. I guess that means they are going to win?

If you think I am hand-wringing by telling people we have a lot of work to do and need to focus on working hard to help McCain, I really don’t know what else to say to you.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I don’t remember any serious people predicting a blowout win for Bush in 2004. I remember quite the opposite, actually. I was motivated enough to go stand in line for 3 hours to vote even though I was homeschooling at the time.

In 2006, sadly, the GOP did deserve to lose. Bush was still saying we needed to just “stay the course” in Iraq when the course wasn’t working well, the GOP leadership in the house and senate was griping about porkbusters and refusing to change their ways, and everything was a real mess.

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM

You’re more frightened of success than you are of failure.

Why? Because failure, although painful- is FAMILIAR.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Another brilliant comment from someone who thinks they know me and my life based on a few comments left on a political blog. Heh. Hilarious. You have no idea what I do in my career, how successful I am in life, how successful I have been in my personal life and social life and sports career, yet you judge me entirely based on a few comments left on a blog. Brilliant, man!

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

And by the way, there hasn’t been a POTUS elected to office with 50% plus votes since the GREAT RONALD REAGAN. So knock off the crap about TOTAL number of votes garnered…

pueblo1032 on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM

This is not true, although I know it has been reported many times in the media.

2004: Bush- 50.73%; Kerry – 48.27%

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Say this to me:

“Sarah Palin was a great pick!”

“McCain listened to the Conservative base!”

“We have a definite chance at winning!”

“Let’s build on this POSITIVE news!”

-Then I’ll be happy……

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Donate to the McCain/Palin ticket… Yes, enthusiasm is a powerful weapon when put to use properly. I was slow to donate, that I must admit. The Palin pick did it for me, and I finally got off my wallet and put forth my first donation of this cycle. I will continue to donate with every paycheck now that I’m fully on-board.

The Palin pick has brought energy to my home. We’re in a fight-n mood now; time to kick some Liberal butts.

Keemo on August 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Prove me wrong-

And I will admit my error.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Stay the course was completely the right decision. However, the strategy needed to change. That is not the same thing. Bush wanted to stay the course to victory. He just needed a different strategy in order to achieve it. Anyone who said stay the course was wrong was advocating defeat, not a new strategy. The Democrats new course was withdrawl. Anyone paying attention knew that. But they fooled the American public into thinking they had a new plan for victory…a new course for victory. They didn’t. Their new course was defeat and withdrawl.

I completely supported President Bush in his stay the course message. And I was greatly disappointed when people abandoned him. In the end, I am glad he stayed the course, because here we are on the brink of victory.

And yes, everything was a mess. But you have just given the reason for people to not vote for John McCain and vote for Obama. Because in many people’s eyes, the GOP still deserves to lose. After 8 years of Republicans in office creating a mess, they deserve to lose. I don’t believe that one bit. And I don’t believe the Republicans deserved to lose in 2006 either, because the alternative was worse, as it is today with Obama vs McCain.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

No surprise how the Washington based MSM missed that the speech, for the great most of us, was simply boring tripe. We can’t FEEL the fireworks and rockers rockin’ when onteh couch – Barack was supposed to bring that on home to us.

As is proving to be the case, the more one hears Obama the less impressive he his.

I made a bet yesterday for McCain/Palin. Today I’m feeling even safer… and catch Meet the Press on CNBC replay, it was amazing how nicely they all treated Palin.

Pinch me.

Shivas Irons on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Your a good man Michael! I always enjoy reading your comments; hang in there with us friend, we need ya!

Keemo on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

You forgot to tell us how much you can bench.

Chuck Schick on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

The RedState analysis of Palin and Obama is great! Thanks for sharing it. I’m printing it out and handing it to everyone I can…

CCRWM on August 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Wow!

mikeyboss on August 31, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Prove me wrong-

And I will admit my error.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Oh geez, so now you want my resume and all my personal info? Sorry, I am comfortable enough with my own life without needing to justify it to some anonymous nobody on a blog. I will give you one bit of info, just to appease your curious mind. I graduated from Purdue University with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and currently hold a job in that field.

I’m sure that’s not good enough for you to deem me successful in life and I’m still a failure in your eyes, but so be it.

Now, back to the topic at hand…

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Keemo on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I have no doubt that Michael is a very good man.

I have no doubt that Michael has had MUCH success in his life.

I also have no doubt- that Michael has MUCH doubt- about his own success.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I really believe that Obama’s own supporters, in the end, will run over their candidate on the way to the finish line. In fact the old Bugs Bunny cartoon about the Tortoise And The Hare reflects his campaign better than any thing else I can think of. Clip worth every minute!

Ozprey on August 31, 2008 at 12:44 PM

You forgot to tell us how much you can bench.

Chuck Schick on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

He wasn’t boasting, didn’t say anything specific. Just exposing a common phenomenon on the internet – snap judgments without information.

mikeyboss on August 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM

In 2006, the GOP handed Congress to the Dems on a sterling silver platter, paid for with earmarks, pork, and a penchant for spending our money for their “needs.” No question about it. The 2006 GOP defeat was far less about Bush and Iraq than it was about what the GOP mainstream allowed itself to become. From the national level down to the state level, there wasn’t enough newsprint available to detail each and every GOP office holder’s contempt for the electorate.

Pork. That is at the heart of it all.

I would hope the GOP this week takes a final stand on pork and earmarks….zero tolerance. Period.

Any GOP member of Congress who slips an earmark into any legislation needs to understand that his/her backing from the RNC stops immediately. Zero tolerance.

If we want to carry anti-earmark Mccain to the White House, and regain Congress, we’d darn well better use the next 60 days to make this abundantly clear.

And we can capitalize on Palin’s track record in Alaska to show that it can be done.

coldwarrior on August 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Now, back to the topic at hand…

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I’m not talking about your resume Michael-

I’m talking about your attitude.

I’m not your enemy- I’m soon to be one of your best friends.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Keemo on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Heh, thanks, but no one needs me. If I stopped commenting tomorrow, things would carry on just fine. But just like everyone else here, we all just comment to see our opinions posted on HotAir. In the big picture, they affect nothing. But I appreciate the nice comment.

You forgot to tell us how much you can bench.

Chuck Schick on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Heh, yeah, because then that would qualify me to pontificate on politics like the rest of the people here. heheh

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Icarus indeed.

drjohn on August 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM

There was a democrat convention?

trs on August 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:20 PM

I am sorry if this seems harsh, but I don’t understand why you are using such fowl words toward someone who wants McCain/Palin to win. This is an ally you are addressing. So, your language seems counterproductive toward a shared goal. There is an old folk song that was adopted by the Civil Rights movement in the 1950′s:

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize.

And furthermore, as an old person who is old-fashioned, I would encourage you to use less offensive language, so that I will be able to read future posts from you. Thanks.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:49 PM

I’m not talking about your resume Michael-

I’m talking about your attitude.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:46 PM

My attitude is just fine. I have succeeded in my life by not assuming I had won anything or earned anything until after I had won or earned it.

Here is the motto I live by:

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Michael in MI…

I have a perspective on this that differs from yours, but I don’t need you to get on board until you’re ready. There’s nothing wrong with you voicing your concerns unless you’re trolling, but I haven’t seen evidence of that. Hell, even some trolls can be constructive at times because they bring the talking points from the left to the discussion so that they can be analyzed and deconstructed.

Meanwhile, keep representing your point of view, and I’ll keep trying to constructively bring you around.

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:51 PM

You forgot to tell us how much you can bench.

Chuck Schick on August 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Nothing wrong with questions about benching, just for general knowledge. I bench after every meal.

progressoverpeace on August 31, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I am sorry if this seems harsh, but I don’t understand why you are using such fowl words toward someone who wants McCain/Palin to win. This is an ally you are addressing. So, your language seems counterproductive toward a shared goal. There is an old folk song that was adopted by the Civil Rights movement in the 1950’s:

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:49 PM

My apologies.

I have defense for those actions.

I have a difficult time understanding how a constant stream of negative analysis does anything but tip the scales from motivation- to dissolution.

To me- there is always an UP. That’s why I am a Conservative and NOT a Liberal.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I meant to say:

“I have NO defense for those actions.”

Again I am sorry.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM

+1 Internets for the Icarus reference.

Dash on August 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Since it seems I have taken this thread off course and off topic, I am going to take off.

Back on topic to Obama…

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Dear Michael in MI:

I agree very much with your posts about overconfidence. It is a great danger. There has been a lot of giddiness expressed over the past couple of days regarding Governor Palin and our increased likelihood of victory. I admit that I have felt it myself.

The thing is, the MSM is an extraordinary powerful foe, and so are the Democrats, and Obama is a very attractive candidate, at least superficially. It is important for us to use our buoyed feelings of enthusiasm and direct them toward the realistic hard work of actually electing McCain/Palin.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM

You’re more frightened of success than you are of failure.

Why? Because failure, although painful- is FAMILIAR.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I think you have it slightly off, thought I think he is somewhat invested in it.

But I don’t think MiM is frightened of success, I think he extrapolates his world into a broader picture of America. The same mistake Obama makes, incidentally.

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2008 at 12:56 PM

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Thank you so much for your gracious apology. Now, let’s see if we can keep the energy of optimism and the concerns of realism working together. We need both.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

There was a democrat convention?
trs on August 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Yeah. Were industrial strength hopenchange was prescribed and eagerly consumed.

wise_man on August 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Here is the motto I live by: – Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM

And a good motto it is. Persist we must for the next two months. This gonna be a long, hard slog.

ManlyRash on August 31, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I agree with Michael in MI. The reason the GOP has been losing lately is that it has gotten soft in running campaigns. I have complained about that for years.

Sarah Palin is a great pick and Id hate to lose because some in the GOP think that just picking her is enough.

The obamites are still stoked. We have a race still on our hands and we cant lose sight of the goal before we get there.

Obama is pouring most of his money into ACORN and other groups to win the election that way. Unless we counter that movement we can still lose.

I really want the GOP to learn the lession of 2006. I still havent seen that they have.

Sarah Palin is the first inkling they might finally be learning.

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM

My motto, like myself- is quite simple, Micheal:

“I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and that the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself.”

G.K. Chesterton

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM

What I keep going back to, Loxodonta is John McCain. He is, afterall, our candidate, no matter who is the VP candidate. I have watched as Conservatives got all giddy when he came out and said that he had learned his lesson on Amnesty and the fence. They all shouted “hooray! now we can vote for McCain, he’s learned his lesson, he told us so!” Only we found out he hasn’t learned his lesson at all.

So, long story short, I don’t trust McCain one bit. And I interpret his pick of Palin as nothing more than a bone thrown to conservatives to shut them up about his many lousy policy positions and something that will get them to just get in line and support him. Despite the fact that none of his positions have changed and he is still the lousy, uninspired candidate he was on Thursday.

What I see is many people thinking we are voting for Palin, instead of still stuck with McCain.

People are enthusiastic about Palin, but I still see McCain at the top of the ticket. And short of him changing policy positions, I cannot get enthused about his potential Administration. I am still in the ‘hold my nose and vote for McCain’ camp, because the alternative is worse.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:02 PM

coldwarrior on August 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 1:02 PM

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Well, I am not a pessimist by that defintion, then. Considering I don’t think all that much of myself. I’m just an ordinary man with ordinary ideas and opinions and thoughts and ordinary talents that I try to use to the best of my ability to do the best I can in my time here. But, in the end, I know I am inconsequential and only a small part of the big picture, so there is no need for me to think I am more than I am.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Agreed!

And Michael- no hard feelings I hope.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I really want the GOP to learn the lesson of 2006. I still havent seen that they have. Sarah Palin is the first inkling they might finally be learning.

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I can suggest spreading stuff like this around:

The young Alaska Republican put her political career on the line by challenging the corrupt, old Alaskan Republican bulls on their sleazy pay-for-play politics and their use of the public trust to fill the pockets of their friends. She didn’t merely talk about abstract change in Washington. She challenged corruption at home, challenged her own party bosses—some of whom are already in prison—at great risk to her political future.

It is something I’ve begged and begged Obama to do with the ham-fisted pols in Chicago and Illinois—to not merely talk about change far away, but to take a principled stand even if that stand runs counter to his political interests at home; to challenge the thugs of his own party, to give us a reason to believe he’s the man he says he is. He has politely declined.

With Palin announcement, Quayle hunt gets under way

by John Kass, Chicago tribune

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I haven’t heard a word about the line he lifted from Clinton’s stump speech. The one about Bush calling this an ownership society, but the reality is that it’s an on your own society or something to that effect. Wonder what that line cost him?

Jvette on August 31, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Sarah Palin is the first inkling they might finally be learning.

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I agree. Sarah Palin is the first step – not the last nail in Obama’s coffin – of the next hard fought 60 days.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Say this to me:

“Sarah Palin was a great pick!”

“McCain listened to the Conservative base!”

“We have a definite chance at winning!”

“Let’s build on this POSITIVE news!”

-Then I’ll be happy……

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM

If you were inconsequential, Michael- I wouldn’t have responded to you with such tenacity.

I believe you’re even more of a success in my eyes than you are in you own.

And that just adds to your qualities!

Don’t you just love us optimistic fools! ;)

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM

And Michael- no hard feelings I hope.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Nope. I don’t take to heart compiments or denigrations from anonymous people online. Learned that lesson long ago. The only thing I would have done is just skip on by your comments in the future if I held a grudge and thought your analysis of anything I said was based simply on your bias against me.

But no hard feelings. We’re on the same side, working towards the same goal. We need all personalities and outlooks on things to keep focus.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM

G.K. Chesterton

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Thanks. Great quote.

Except, I tend to think everything is good, EXCEPT me.

Drats! Uncategorized, yet again!

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:09 PM

It’s all up to Palin now to just avoid any sort of meltdown. Big Media is setting her expectations so low that if she only holds her own, she wins. She must show that she has a solid grasp of the issues, though, and she probably hasn’t given much more consideration to many of those issues than any person reading this blog. If she can do that, all of the beauty-queen-mayor-of-less-than-6,000 crap will go away. And if she can make Biden look silly even once during the debate — with Biden’s record of foot-in-mouth moments, that’s entirely possible — look out.

I don’t know enough about her to know if she can display the kind of serious substantive knowledge in all policy matters pertaining to POTUS or not, but lord knows I’m pulling for her. Her learning curve is steep and she’s in the deep end of the pool now. All she has to do is tread water, and it’ll be an Elephant parade in November.

holygoat on August 31, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM

There’s the big toe in……….

come on in Michael, the waters fine……

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Thank you Michael.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Or,

Just look at Gallup and see Obama/Biden crushing McCain/Paris:

I remember when the right used to say polls were meaningless…

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Jvette on August 31, 2008 at 1:05 PM

He also took Hillary’s new “not top-down, but bottom-up change …” description from her speech. The funny part is that he’s running to BE top-down change but then got taken in by Hillary to say that what’s important is bottom-up change!

I seem to be the only one who got a kick out of this.

progressoverpeace on August 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:02 PM

As to McCain’s choice of Palin: I do not think the selection was a bone thrown to conservatives. McCain IS very much a conservative. On some things. Remember? Maverick?

What I think this selection is about is NOT throw a bone to conservatives or identity politics (woman) or the Christian Right. I think McCain has picked ANOTHER Maverick!

And they disagree with one another on some things, but where they agree is very important:

COUNTRY FIRST

and

REFORM!

I like that a lot.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Up TEN POINTS in two days?!?

Of course any swing among voters in general will have to be consolidated. But a rapid jump among swing voters can be looked at as a kind of “leading indicator” of what the general polls will do assuming (as I do) that Sarah Palin will continue to be Sarah Palin.

logis on August 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM

While browsing the dictionary, I thought I saw Obama’s pict. under the definition bastard!

ah1g on August 31, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Thank you Michael.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM

YUCK!

No kissing in Hot Air threads!

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM

This pick is more than a first step. It indicates, to me at least, that McCain is a much better thinker than I had given him credit for. This pick showed more about McCain than about any particulars of the ticket. That’s why I am so excited by it. Not only do I like the pick (I would have liked Mitt or many others) but McCain surprised me in a good way and gave much more of a nod to conservatives than I ever thought I would see out of him. I have to rethink my opinion of McCain (it was very bad before) and that is a good thing.

By the way, my response to you on the benching thing was a Jewish joke. ‘Benching’ is the after-meal prayer. I don’t actually do it, but that’s what the joke was.

progressoverpeace on August 31, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Thank you Michael.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM
YUCK!

No kissing in Hot Air threads!

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Calm down…calm down….I still oppose gay marriage….LOL.

I keed, I keed…..

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Well, then. My work here is done.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:24 PM

coldwarrior on August 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM

That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

AZCoyote on August 31, 2008 at 1:36 PM

progressoverpeace on August 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I missed that one. Good catch!

Here is Vegas, we call people like Obama a front man. Goes back to the days when the mob was being booted from the casino business and they needed someone to be their front man. Someone clean and presentable, while they continued their dirty work behind the scenes.

In my opinion, Obama is just a front man. Kind of like those fake storefronts used for the movies. The facade looks good, but there’s no depth there. Most likely, Soros saw his speech at the 2004 convention and decided Obama would be his front man.

Jvette on August 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Why do you insist on sucking the enthusiasm out of the Palin pick?

Why do you insist on wringing your hands anytime somebody says “Don’t get cocky”?

Relax. Blog comments aren’t going to decide this thing. Agree or disagree with them, and explain why, but trying to shut people up because they have questions and concerns just makes you look silly.

And this is coming from somebody who thinks Palin is a great pick.

Jim Treacher on August 31, 2008 at 1:39 PM

and THUS it begins…Gallup has Obama dropping two points…

some bounce Barry….Sarahmentum!

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I’m not expecting great things in the VP debates. If she can hold it to a draw, I’m fine with that. I do hope that at least once, Biden’s shallowness and hypocrisy is highlighted. That’s all I ask.

a capella on August 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM

some bounce Barry….Sarahmentum! – sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I like it. But not as catchy as….SARAH’CUDA.

ManlyRash on August 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I like it. But not as catchy as….SARAH’CUDA.

ManlyRash on August 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Even more so: Sarah’Cuda Feevah! Catch It!

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2008 at 2:00 PM

And this is coming from somebody who thinks Palin is a great pick.

Jim Treacher on August 31, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I didn’t get cocky-

I didn’t wring my hands-

I put a spotlight on the pessimism.

I never tried to shut anyone up, because that is clearly beyond my power.

And yes- I not only look silly, I AM silly.
All optimists are silly- sooner or later.

Thanks for the criticism Jim. It has made me a little wiser, though not yet wise.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 2:02 PM

I remember when the right used to say polls were meaningless…

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I remember when the Left used to demand endless recounts from “meaningless” polls……

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Thanks for the criticism Jim.

You’re welcome.

Jim Treacher on August 31, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Jvette on August 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Oops. I mistakenly said that B Hussein had taken the top-down thing into his speech. I got mixed up. He mentioned it (and mangled it horribly, in the process) in his surprise cameo after the Biden speech. I was still amazed that he got intellectually rolled by Hillary so easily. Hillary doesn’t sound like much to me, but I guess she’s really a killer rabbit.

progressoverpeace on August 31, 2008 at 2:13 PM

B. Hussein did the dead cat bounce. Thump!

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM

for an interesting perspective on how the PUMAs are reacting to the Sarah Palin vp pick listen to the archived blog talk radio show from PUMAPAC: “NO WE WON’T”
Date / Time: 8/29/2008 6:00 PM
SHOW STARTS AT 9PM EASTERN. LIONS SHARE – PALIN PICK

scrubjay on August 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

scrubjay on August 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

I still feel that the MSM listened to a totally different speech the other night that I did,but having gotten that off my chest I’m very happy with McCain’s pick for VP a woman with good sense,values and a happy family life in short someone we can be proud of but I agree with MIM in that just because she’s the pick don’t take a win for granted get out talk about her and McCain every chance you get point out he who shall not be named shortcoming’s but get out that and make people notice this is going to be a tough couple of months and we need to make sure we don’t get to cocky and lose it before the 4th of Nov. by being sure we have it won now.

tee866 on August 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Obviously we should not get cocky. Anything can happen. Two months is a lifetime in politics.

BUT, I don’t thing that we should respond to a good pick for VP by McCain by immediately criticizing the man, questioning his motives and announcing that he can not be trusted.

Bush had two very difficult issues to deal with, immigration and the war. Both costs him, but he stood his ground. And McCain was right there with him. Whether or not you agree with McCain all the time, he did not abandon Bush when a lot of other people did.

The fact that he does what he thinks he should do, rather than what certain people in the base thinks he should do does not make him untrustworthy or dishonest. It just makes him true to himself.

Terrye on August 31, 2008 at 4:44 PM

BTW, Gallup has Obama down 2 today. hmmmm

Terrye on August 31, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Falling knife.

SlimyBill on August 31, 2008 at 5:08 PM

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

One of my favorites too, Michael, and one which has served me very well. Hangs on the office wall.

p.s. pretend this is in a tiny, tiny, print – you are a good man (knowing full well that you don’t take compliments/rants on line seriously).

p.p.s Jim Treacher, you too.

Entelechy on August 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:02 PM
—–

This is about where I’m at. I agree with McCain on some things, disagree with him on others. Agree more with him than with Obama, though. Also, I think McCain-in-chief will scare the shi’ite out of Washington, which is a Good Thing.

However.

Palin, should she become veep, is something else entirely. It’s got the potential, if she’s got the talent and the willingness to serve, of being a whole new chapter.

While this is horridly premature, just assume (grin) that McCain/Palin win in 2008. That means either Palin/{Jindal|Romney|Huckabee} in 2012 against … Clinton/???? Think the sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits have a *prayer* against Sarah ?

Now, consider the soberingly possible, and assume that Obama/Biden win. Palin goes back to AK, remains a reformer, and has a wonderful life. Now, it’s Romney/Jindal in 2012 against Obama/Biden. Quite a possibility there, and Romney’s still young enough to serve two terms.

Obama played tactics and defense when he picked Plugs Biden to plug the holes in Barry’s resume.

McCain played strategy and long-term offense when he picked Sarah Palin to enhance his maverick cred, shore up the right, and potentially put his stamp, the stamp he claims he got from Goldwater, on a lady young enough and potentially tough enough to cast a very, very long shadow indeed.

Mew

acat on August 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

I can’t help but see parallels to 2000 this year.
Remember: that was supposed to be Gore’s election. He was to follow a supposed popular president, with a supposed great economy, a period of peace (even though radicals were plotting attacks on us), and so forth….. and he couldn’t even win his own state — we probably wouldn’t have had the Florida debacle, if he even carried Tennessee and Arkansas, his boss’s state. Instead, we all know what happened, and the Left still whines about it, to this very day.
And now, we’re hearing this is supposed to be Obama’s election to win or lose. He’s following supposedly the most unpopular president ever, unpopular war, unfavorable economy…. yet he can barely get a significant lead over his opponent, in poll after poll, ever since he was made the nominee, months ago!
I am not counting chickens or eggs, but I sure hope the Left isn’t either…. November sure has the possibility of being a big disappointment to them!

ToddonCapeCod on August 31, 2008 at 7:31 PM

It’s like they took millions of dollars and countless hours of volunteer time and flushed it all down the toilet. I wonder how many thousands of poverty stricken lives that could have been changed had they just gave it all away instead.

Guardian on August 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Senator Obama gave one of the worst, dullest, most rote and most tritely-political Convention acceptance speeches ever heard, and people are surprised he got nothing much from it?

Governor Palin, meanwhile, is a firecracker.

She became human with her short and gracious acceptance remarks.

Barry became less so via his litany of abstractions and carpings.

People vote for those they sense are real.

Not for hectoring sloganeers.

The more people get to know Barry, the fewer will vote for him.

The disaffected Dems know he should have picked Hillary.

Now they can show it by voting for Sarah Palin.

November 4th will be the proof of Barack’s error.

profitsbeard on August 31, 2008 at 11:37 PM