Convention coverage starts here tomorrow!

posted at 11:00 am on August 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

As one of the few fortunate bloggers who covered the 2004 Republican convention, I arrived in New York without a clue as to what the next four days would bring, or how I would begin to write about it.  At that time, blogging was still more of a novelty, and few outside of the political process even knew about it.  The two parties added bloggers at the last minute, but did their best in both cases to give them access to interesting and significant people attending the convention.

Four years later, the convention has come to my town, and I’ll get to cover it again.  This time, I have more of an idea what to expect, and I’m more prepared technologically, too.  No one videoblogged in 2004, and in truth, most of had a tough enough time figuring out how to load pictures quickly onto our sites.  This time, I have armed myself with a camcorder, two webcams, and up-to-date software to help me get it quickly to Hot Air readers.  I’ll also be doing my show at Hot Air, broadcasting with AM 1280 The Patriot, and will talk occasionally with the BBC and other media outlets on the blogger perspective.

I think the best way to bring the convention to life is to look behind the scenes.  C-SPAN will cover all of the speeches, and of course I’ll have perspective on the major addresses.  But the idea here is to give you more than you see on C-SPAN, and for that, I have to get out of my seat and talk to people.  That’s what I’m hoping to do, starting tomorrow.

Of course, I’ll also have a lot of fun, too.  Conventions are the cheesiest of celebrations of Americana, and already our swag bag reflects this.  When I picked up my credentials, we received a lot of complimentary trifles, but none so amusing as the Kraft Limited Convention Edition Macaroni & Cheese.  It features elephant pasta, and a history of the Republican Party on the back.  It also has this trivia quiz:

Match these “famous quotes or slogans with the Republican Presidents who made them famous:

1. Speak softly, but carry a big bowl of KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese.
  2. A house divided from KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese cannot stand.
  3. Run out of KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese?  Wouldn’t be prudent.
  4. It’s morning again in America.  KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese is being served.

Ewww.  Mac & cheese for breakfast?  Wouldn’t be prudent.

I hope to bring you the drama, the philosophy, and the fun from St. Paul.  Stay tuned.

Addendum: If you’d like to read my coverage of the 2004 convention, you can look through the Captain’s Quarters archives here.

Comments

Task #1 is getting that Palin interview!

{Do that, and to us, you are a god!!)

:-)

coldwarrior on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I’d dispense with the Mac & Cheese references before some lib tries to use that as a nickname for our ticket. I’m just saying.

Disturb the Universe on August 31, 2008 at 11:05 AM

I thought that was photoshopped. LOL! This kind of hokey American politicking amuses me. But, to tie in with your previous post, I don’t know how this sort of thing plays with Katrina II going on…

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 AM

You will have to look to CSPAN for any convention coverage. The MSM is gleeful that they now have Gustav as an excuse to cover the RNC as little as possible.

How much you want to bet that TV coverage of McCain’s acceptance speech is interrupted several times by “breaking news” from New Orleans?

mojojojo on August 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I dunno. Mac ‘n’ cheese for breakfast can be good.

eea on August 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM

McCain/Palin–
Mac ‘n’ Cheesecake.

eea on August 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM

package them up and send them down, with lots of dried milk powder and some camp stoves.

of course then the dems will say that Bush and Rove pre-planned the hurricane just so republicans could send food donations with this picture on the front.

and catch clueless, classless democrats chortling with glee over the hurricane

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Howard Kurtz was asking his liberal panel this morning about how obvious the anti-McCain bias will be with the MSMs coverage.

roninacreage on August 31, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Hey Ed

My husband is in East Africa right now, and he was telling me all he gets is CNN. We were discussing Sarah Palin, we use Skype anyway from the coverage on CNN, he thought she was an after thought not much to do about anything. He knows the bias in the coverage but there is no Fox News in Liberia. I said, look go to Hot Air or Malkin’s blog, you can find out all about her. My point related to your topic above, New Media is getting around Old Media. And Hot Air has become a destination for information. My husband and I are both Independents.

Dr Evil on August 31, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Troubling if true (link):

[The motel in Minnesota where] I have been staying is mostly populated by the staff and crew of NBC and MSNBC. . I was appalled by the conversations I overheard standing in the lobby. Laughing and joking, they were genuinely gleeful about the possibility that the Republican Convention might be impacted by the natural disaster likely to strike the south east on the opening night of the convention. One joked, “Its God’s revenge against George Bush.” Instead of concern for the tens of thousands of people whose lives and property are in serious jeopardy, they were more annoyed at how it might inconvenience them if Senator McCain chose to change the schedule in light of events.

SteveMG on August 31, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Politicos Roger Simon already admitted as much on Reliable Sources this morning on CNN. He claimed the MSMs obvious bias won’t be against the GOP, but the need to cover Gustav will give them cover for their bias. It’s already in their playbook of excuses to justify their bias.

roninacreage on August 31, 2008 at 11:24 AM

And CNN in other nations is even more leftist than it is here, as well as occasionally anti-American.

eea on August 31, 2008 at 11:24 AM

A 28-page contract requested by Denver organizers that caterers provide food in “at least three of the following five colors: red, green, yellow, blue/purple and white.” Garnishes could not be counted toward the colors. No fried foods would be allowed. Organic and locally grown foods were mandated, and each plate had to be 50 percent fruits and vegetables.

The decree on food for the Democratic convention. Somehow I don’t think Kraft dinner (as we called it in my house; served with hot dogs) fits any criteria. I expect the Dem delegates got goodie bags asembled by Oprah with organic cosmetics and a loofah.

Wethal on August 31, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I’d love to get a box of that Mac n Cheese, no lie. I wonder if they had a donk version last week?

Ed, have a blast. I won’t be watching any of it other than what I get from the ‘net, so make it good, baby.

I know you will.

Bob's Kid on August 31, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Hey now..in the not too distance past Mac & Cheese played an important role in feeding my family. Right now it is used recreationaly but in hard times it is damn more filling than arugula, if you know what I mean.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I’m glad someone will be covering the convention, because I think the mainstream press will be covering the hurricane–Hurricane Gustav, Bush Attacks New Orleans, Part II, © MSNBC and Michael Moore Productions Inc.

RBMN on August 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I deny that Kraft made a convention edition of Mac & Cheese. I deny it. Nice photoshop, Mr. Morrissey.

Now, C-SPAN coverage is a pretty low standard to beat. Here’s why I quit watching it:

“We go now to the Republican line…”

“HELLO?”
“You’re on the air.”

“I just wanted to say that Bush is a big Nazi with his Haliburton Cheney junta who were selected, not elected, and I also wanted to say that the constitution has been shredded and if you aren’t angry you’re not paying attention.”

“Thank you caller, now we go to the Democrat line.”

“HELLO? Yes, I wanted to say to that over one billion Iraqis were killed in this illegal and immoral war and billions more will be killed by Bush who wasn’t even elected.”

“Thank you caller, now to the Republican line.”

“HELLO? Yeah Bush can go f*** himself.”

“All right, callers, now we ask you to please observe decorum here on C-SPAN, we have standards…”

jeff_from_mpls on August 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Mac&Cheese and Ramen noodles have been the sustenance of striving youth throughout the decades. Good job getting your credentials Ed and will be looking forward to your take on events as they transpire.

captivated_dem on August 31, 2008 at 11:37 AM

McCain/Palin–
Mac ‘n’ Cheesecake.

eea on August 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Now there’s a bumper sticker I would put on my truck! LOL!

rmgraha on August 31, 2008 at 11:43 AM

With today’s technology, there’s no reason Bush and Cheney can’t address the convention from the State of Mississippi or Louisiana by video. They certainly have a large enough screen to do it.

RBMN on August 31, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Just as Mother Nature calls, still the show must go on. Cutting off the GOP Convention would be a sign of weakness, as if when tragedy strikes, the GOP crumbles. Business MUST move forward, even the business of coping with a Gulf hurricane.

Tithe all GOP donations made the day the hurricane strikes and begin the Convention Monday on schedule, on target. Immediately designate a link on the RNC website homepage for hurricane news to make contributions. Convert a quiet room aside from the Convention floor for those wishing to meditate or pray for the well being of the storm victims and survivors throughout the week.

America Cares, and Republicans take care of the nitty gritty work best of all when under attack, whether a natural disaster strikes or terrorists attack,

GO GOP RESPONSE!

maverick muse on August 31, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I think that as the window for monetary donations closes, folks should think seriously about donating to relief efforts for the gulf coast.

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2008 at 12:21 PM

McCain/Palin–
Mac ‘n’ Cheesecake.

eea on August 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM

I love it.

Sarah’Cuda Feevah! Catch It!

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2008 at 12:21 PM

What I meant to say was ‘monetary donations to republicans closes, folks should think seriously about donating to relief effors for the gulf coast’.

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM

For those of us living overseas in wacky time zones (in Mumbai 10.5hrs ahead of CDT), this site is an absolute LIFELINE. Thanks already for all your coverage on the GOP convention even if it’s abbreviated due to Hurricane Gustav.

Sincerely,
Renwaa

Spreading the conservative word abroad…

Renwaa on August 31, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Mr. Morrissey,

at the risk of stating the obvious,

don’t be just an observer, and don’t try to be C-SPAN, ABC, or Fox News.

Meet people, ask questions, and get them talking, and keep asking questions.

If you run out of questions, I have a ‘zillion. Questions are easy, answers are difficult, and making those answers work is even more difficult.

For example: how much input or influence do ordinary delegates have on the party platform, or the operation of the convention? Are high profile VIPs available to ordinary delegates, and are those VIPs listening to delegate concerns?

How does one get to be a delegate to the convention? Are the delegates grass roots party loyalists who are active in local campaigns?

Have fun.

rockhauler on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

So is PALIN supposed to be the CHEESE in this scenario?

Just askin’….because I SURE hope they mean all the sots cheering in their goofy hats and not the other half of the chicket.

seejanemom on August 31, 2008 at 12:30 PM

McCain/Palin–
Mac ‘n’ Cheesecake.

eea on August 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Better.

seejanemom on August 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Ed, I’m looking forward to your insights as the Republican convention unfolds. As I said when you closed down Captain’s Quarters, you’ve earned the top spot among the bloggers that I follow every day through your remarkably wide range of interests and knowledge, your entetaining writing and the sheer volume of your output. The right blogosphere wouldn’t be the same without you.

Your work is highly valued and appreciated, and I know that my opinion of you is shared by many.

Cicero43 on August 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Ewww. Mac & cheese for breakfast? Wouldn’t be prudent. – Ed Morrissey

That made me laugh.

Maxx on August 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM

The illustration is adorable (Kraft Dinner box). It will make a terrific souvenir.

Is there anywhere we can buy one? Or at the very least, get a high-res image?

(I love cheesy Americana)

RushBaby on August 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Thanks Ed,
Hope you have a good time at the convention. You do a great job at HA. I am so sorry our country is having to deal with Gustav and my prayers are for all involved in his path.
L

letget on August 31, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Ed,

Get plenty of extra batteries..

If need be, we will take up a collection for you

Be forewarned..

We will not tolerate excuses :)

TheSitRep on August 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM

“Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for a bowl of KRAFT Mac ‘n Cheese”

Sir Andrew on August 31, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Ed,

Track down Molly Line and score a web interview. I spotted her earlier on Fox News at the RNC. Try to convince her that her fans would like to see her on Red Eye w/Greg Gutfeld sitting next to Bill Schulz in the legs seat.

eigafan on August 31, 2008 at 7:33 PM

I just saw two items on TV regarding the convention and Gustav…. Obviously, convention delayed. Senator Obama said he was going to ask his donors to help and that he would get volunteers if and where needed.

Senator McCain dispatched people around the country to get their hurricane disaster assistance prepared A WEEK AGO. Just another case of someone much, much more prepared.

CC

CapedConservative on August 31, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Obama’s hurricane plan = HOPE someone else handles it

“It wasn’t last time, and hopefully we’ve learned from that tragedy.”

Biden’s hurricane plan = HOPE no one notices you just said Bush is doing a heck of a job.

“It looks like they’re incredibly well prepared, much better than they had before.”

Hope.

Ronnie on August 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 11:32 AM

My husband, my four children and I do know what you mean. I tried homemade once, but only Kraft would do.

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 10:50 PM

I want a box of that macaroni. It looks like it’ll be a collectors item.

I wonder if they gave them out at the DemCon? You’ve got to have all the toys in a set for them to be worth very much.

Squiggy on September 1, 2008 at 7:09 AM