CNN poll: 50% say Palin isn’t qualified to be president

posted at 9:24 pm on August 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

That’ll change, of course, as she does better or worse on the trail, but it ain’t the point you want to start from, needless to say. I don’t know what to make of the fact that Gallup’s poll yesterday answered this same question with a slim plurality saying she is qualified. Has opinion already shifted that much in 24 hours?

The good news: Maverick trails Obama only 49/48post-convention. Not only is that the highest percentage I can recall him pulling offhand, but it jibes with Gallup’s data showing Barry O already starting to lose some of his bounce (albeit still holding to a six-point lead). In other words, bizarrely, the doubts about her qualifications don’t seem to be hurting the appeal of the pick … yet. In fact, not only is she +17 in favorable/unfavorable with 41 percent undecided, but 57 percent say the pick reflects favorably on McCain’s judgment in making important presidential decisions. How on earth does that square with the majority who think she’s unqualified? Is she simply that personally appealing that they’re willing to roll the dice on someone they don’t necessarily trust as VP?

Maybe, yeah.

Feeling good now? Fired up and ready to go? Then let this pessimist stalwart crap all over that for you. Click the image below and skip ahead to 1:05:30 for some worrisomely bad vibes during the Palin segment of Frank Luntz’s Minnesota focus group this afternoon. Exit question: Should a blogger with nerves of tin really be covering this beat until November? Time to ask the boss to relegate me to gossip items and viral videos, yes?

Update: So much for identity politics: “Women now appear slightly more likely to vote for Obama than they did a week ago, 53 percent now, compared to 50 percent. But McCain picked up a couple of points among men. More important, McCain solidified his party’s base with the Palin selection, dropping Obama’s share of the Republican vote six points to just 5 percent now.”

Update: A reader e-mails to clarify: The 50 percent who say she’s unqualified is obviously a subset of the 59 percent overall who know enough about her to form an opinion. 41 percent don’t know enough about her yet to form any opinions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Keep in mind that rolls. So realistically, McCain could have been up two to four points for the day.

Vizzini on August 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

What would you expect from a CNN poll?

Maxx on August 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

people that don’t know anything about her, are forming opinions based on what MSM is telling them, which hopefully those will change as she gets on TV the next couple months.

if the CNBC version of Palin debuts on other issues and in debates she’ll be fine.

jp on August 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Byron (or Rich, can’t remember) over at NRO said that Minnesota crowd was stacked with Obama-leaners.

It’s a blue state, remember. Pawlenty’s the exception.

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Let’s wait and see what the polls says after the convention and her debate with Biden. We will all know more about her at that point.

Zorro on August 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM

jp on August 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

indeed the judo effect will take time…give her a week to sink in and a week for the donks and M$M to shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly….

we have plenty of time and truth and wholesomeness on our side thanks to Sarah….

I am for the first time since the cards were set happy and hopeful.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM

jp on August 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

She certainly made a believer out of Maria Bartilomo in that interview. If it hadn’t been for her, there would’ve been NO balance whatsoever on this morning’s MTP.

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Hell no. You had already mailed in all hope by now in 06, so surely you didn’t enjoy just waiting to get beat. At least here you think there is a shot at winning.

‘Sides if you roll up, all we’ll be left with Ed’s (much as I like) posts on how McCain is the greatest man in the history of men.

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

This should cheer you up. Painting today I put the iPod on shuffle and ran across a Steely Dan song that deserves to be played at the RNC (did you ever think you’d live to read that sentence?). From the 1974 album Pretzel Logic, “Barrytown”. Here’s the opening verse from the official Steely Dan site:

I’m not one to look behind I know that times must change
But over there in Barrytown they do things very strange
And though you’re not my enemy
I like things like they used to be
And though you’d like some company
I’m standing by myself
Go play with someone else

I can see by what you carry that you come from Barrytown

Vote Sauron 08 on August 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

So? 70% of Americans think President Bush isn`t qualified to lead anymore….

Sure, that`s not good news either, but-he`s still President. :)

ThePrez on August 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

wait for a weekday poll, these are weekend polls. and not just any weekend, but Labor Day. Repubs. are traveling and will underpoll

jp on August 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Well that the moon bats on CNN
Obama will hope that will change

grapeknutz on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

I just don’t get the double standard I guess. She is more qualified than Hussein. FAR more qualified. And yet gazillions of stupid people are willing to look past his inexperience, his tarnished past, and his unAmerican positions to vote for the guy.

And she’s only running as second in command. Makes one wonder…

ErinF on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

jp on August 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

I thought that interview was great.

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Well give her time Allah.

Like I said elsewhere I went to a left blog that had linked to my Sarah Palin Hockey mom video.

They were cold towards her but the liked that video. It was the “Rock solid conservative” that they thought they knew. It was the “Hockey mom” that they adored and felt they could relate to.

That is the precise tact to take. Sarah Palin everywoman not Sarah Palin Social Crusader.

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

well, at least the MSM did a good job introducing her record to the country and letting us make up our minds. oh, wait.

Important Future Conservative Strategy Alert: Don’t buy the old technique of announcing things on friday to steal two days of the media cycle (three in case of this long weekend). Because weekend means no talk radio, which is the only place outside the blogs that won’t be ridiculously in the tank against us. Announce on Monday, let Rush and co fight back right away.

AdrianG on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Nah. After all, there really aren’t enough videos of humping robots to keep you busy until the election.

SnarkVader on August 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Remember, that is the guy who ran against her in the primary and has been a bit of a anti-Palin gadfly since then.

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

I am a fan of Palin, and I would probably agree with the 50% that, after two years as a gov, she’s not ready to be President. I expect that to change as she learns the ropes, especially after getting in the White House (see how optimistic I am??), and it isn’t a reason for me not to vote for the ticket. After all, what’s worse: the inexperience being at the bottom of the ticket… or the top?

salmonczar on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

But 57% think she helped his campaign?

I don’t think 50% is bad considering how unknown she is. She’s succeeded in knocking the DNC off message and onto hate and vitriol (Rational people have GOT to start 2nd questioning the DNC at this rate.

Skywise on August 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I will admit, were I not a political junkie who listens to Gallagher, Ingraham, Prager, Medved, Rush, and Levin every weekday and a regular on Internet news/blogs, I would be very, very suspicious about Palin after watching Press The Meet this morning. It was ugly. I can’t imagine what the people are thinking who only get their news from MSNBC.

carbon_footprint on August 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM

She’s such a peach that she’ll win over a lot more. We’re gonna like her as a nation.

To give her a different standard of “experience” than Obama has we’ll be seen by people with a brain as sexist.

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM

That’s absurd. Are we really expected to believe that women will be more inclined to vote for Obama when its the McCain camp has a woman on the ticket? That insults my intelligence, but that’s CNN.

Maxx on August 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM

So? 70% of Americans think President Bush isn`t qualified to lead anymore….

Sure, that`s not good news either, but-he`s still President. :)

ThePrez on August 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

So what the hell? 91% of Americans don’t think Congress is qualified to run the country either…

DfDeportation on August 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM

50% of what? Tell the truth.

bloggless on August 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM

And if I hear one more MSM idiot use the “one heartbeat away from the presidency” line again, I will freaking implode.

carbon_footprint on August 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM

There is a anti feminist backlash against McCain but its the bitterness of Hillary not being on the ticket. Right now they are taken that out on McCain but that could change.

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Yeah, I have to agree with JP. My hometown channel interviewed two people off the street, both were negative, and that’s because they had no idea who she is.

Her story, how she fought corruption in Alaska politics, how she presents herself…

C’mon AP. How else is the media, which is how most people get their info, going to portray her? Give it time, buddy. I trust that, just as she had to earn the trust of Alaskans to beat the very entrenched Murkowski to win, she’ll do the same here. You’re fidgeting after an introductory weekend, fer cryin’ out loud.

beatcanvas on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

aka 100% of Dems.

Static on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

But McCain picked up a couple of points among men.

You don’t say.

amerpundit on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

if she’s not qualified then obama isn’t.

the folks who think he is but she isn’t also think clarence wasn’t qualified to be a scotus justice.

no coincidence: to progressives, women and blacks and minorities must either be liberals or be phonies.

reliapundit on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Oh, BTW,

I checked out my Sunday paper today, and compared it to the paper which came out after the nomination of Biden. Obama’s announcement of Biden took up the ENTIRE front page and several inside pages. McCain’s announcement of Palin was this teeny, tiny blurb beneath the fold on the front page; and then you had to go to the third section of the paper, third page in, to get info on Palin.

No liberal bias there.

ErinF on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

carbon_footprint on August 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I wanted to strangle Andrea Mitchell.

Her comments were complete irresponsible.

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Ack. *complete-ly

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Sad thing is, Americans have been sort of brainwashed into thinking that fossils like Kennedy and Biden or elitists like Obama are the only ones who can lead this country. McCain/Palin will show a new way.

bloggless on August 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Thank goodness she isn’t running for president then!

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Sarah Palin can become the American Margaret Thatcher if people keep attacking her and saying some rather nasty things about her. I hear the road is littered with bodies of those who have done such things to her….I’d be careful, people are starting to really like her…

DfDeportation on August 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Andrea”s married to what’s his name. Give her a break.

bloggless on August 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM

I think BHO and Biden aren’t qualified to do the job of street sweeper. I would take a mother of 5, a star athlete that knows how to win and knows how to turn disappointment into victory, a person that is close to the middle class and a person that shares the trails and tribulations of that middle class over a community organizer and a senatre blowhard anyday. If the ballon goes up Palin will be in the foxhole with us and BHO and biden will be in the bunker crapping their pants.

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM

50% say Palin isn’t qualified to be president…

OK. Only 48 hours into this. Half of her work is done. Now, she can concentrate on the other half.

Limme calculate this…50% in the first 48 hours…the other 50% in say, maybe 96 hours? 336 hours? 1444 hours, give or take till Election Day. Amount needed to win? 50% is good. 55% is better. 60% is almost a landslide.

So…the point of this first 48 hours showing “only” 50% believe her to be qualified is?

coldwarrior on August 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Nobody knows her yet, that will change. People who may be skeptical of the pick will come to love her. No worries.

El_Terrible on August 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM

bloggless on August 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM

not a new way I think but a retrurn to the reagan way

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 9:39 PM

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Did you happen to Kerry on the news today? Only his upper lip moves. It was amazing.

bloggless on August 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Not too late for McCain to replace Harriet Palin with a real VP candidate.

I’m still betting on Freddie Dalton.

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Cnn’s doing more Ma and Pa kettle math!

Lets look on the bright side,if it was Huckabee,
he would be up to gaff number 13,she’s very bright,
give it some time,gawd its only day number 2 since
her announcement!

canopfor on August 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I know that’s my reaction to it. I can’t see any reason why people would see Obama as qualified and Palin as not, other than the fact that she’s a woman and she’s unknown.

That being said, they didn’t poll people on whether they thought Obama was “qualified” to be president. I’d be real curious at that poll result. I’d also like to see a poll for Bush as well, lol.

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM

She isn’t running for President.

jeanie on August 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM

AdrianG on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM

My hope is that as people do get to know more about her, even more eyes will open to the hideousness of the MSM. They pretty much all rushed out to trash her….and she is the embodiment of the American Dream. Snarling hatred toward a wife, mother, and, lest we forget, sitting governor of a huge state…who came from humble beginnings and worked her way up without family wealth or connections.

Yep, MSM trash her some more.

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM

I didn’t catch MTP, but the panel on This Week with George Stephanopolous was very fair towards her. George Will loved her, Matthew Dowd did a great job of emphasizing what her political upside was among suburban independents, and Cokie Roberts even said a lot of nice things about her as well. Only Sam Donaldson was clearly against her, but the next time he’s right about something will be his first.

Dudley Smith on August 31, 2008 at 9:43 PM

bloggless on August 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

You mean J Kerry “We are all doomed Al Qaeda is winning unless we elect Obama ?”

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 9:44 PM

She isn’t qualified to be president. (Yet.)

Even I wouldn’t claim that.

But she’s plenty qualified to be vice president.

tigerinexile on August 31, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Not too late for McCain to replace Harriet Palin with a real VP candidate.

I’m still betting on Freddie Dalton.

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

But it is too late for the Democrats to replace that inexperienced Chicago street organizer with a real Presidential candidate.

Thanks Alice. Your concern solidifies my confidence in Palin.

FiveWays on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

And Fox? I pretty much despise that Luntz fellow. From the first moment I saw him during one of the debates. I know it’s not fair, but ick.

Where on earth did they find this drip?

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

The part in the poll about solidifying the base is the most important, and the drop in the number of Republicans Obama gets. That’s the real genius of this pick. McCain and Palin can work on appealing to independents and Dems over the next few weeks as they get to know her. But right now he’s got the base AND voter turnout hopefully wrapped up. Lots of stories circulating about renewed interest in volunteering for the campaign on The Corner. She’s drawing the base in big time.

ZP on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Is this the same CNN whose reporters were caught off mike talking about how Palin must be sleeping with McCain?

Blake on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

She isn’t running for President.

No, but McCain has the lowest odds of living through his first term of any presidential candidate…

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Priceless!

The Democrat National Committee gave their “RAPID RESPONSE TEAM” a few days off for the Holiday weekend, and so they have not yet been able to update their Vice-President SLIME PAGE!

Funnier still, after endless pages of SMEARS against almost all possible GOP selections for V.P. (except, ahem, Sarah), the Democrat National Committee invites all good Democrats to sign up for their “FIGHT THE SMEARS” alerts.

Can Democrats even be more vicious and dishonest?

jay12 on August 31, 2008 at 9:47 PM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Remember that when McCain retires as President in 2016

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Did anybody send Allah the tip about David Gregory saying that the Obama campaign has decided to ignore Palin because the media will attack her for them?

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Alphie, has Obama released all his health records?

bloggless on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Nothin’ but class, that alphie.

Don’t you have a puppy to kick, or something?

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I wanted to strangle Andrea Mitchell

Purple Fury on Aug 31,2008 at 9:35PM.

Purple Fury: I agree,she has that little smirk,smug look
when she talks about the right,so where does
the strangulation line start,btw!hahaha:)

canopfor on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

BTW Bob Byrd is 90 years old and still in the senate. McCain has 18 years to catch up to him

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Blake on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

link?

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Why is Sarah Palin not qualified to be POTUS and the three professional blowhards also running ARE??

She has good sound judgement and has proven she is a leader over and over.

She may be unDERqulaified at this point but relative to the other three, maybe not.

Elizabetty on August 31, 2008 at 9:49 PM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Yeah, that’s why that his biological age is 63. link

His mother is 96, do you really think there’s any chance McCain is going to die before he’s 80?

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 9:50 PM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Sam Donaldson make the same reference today. That Biden doesnt have to attack Palin in the VP debate because Gwen Efel will do it for him.

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 9:50 PM

An acturarialist (sp?) said based on the statistics McCain has an average life expectancy of another 22 years.

Blake on August 31, 2008 at 9:50 PM

It’s a blue state, remember. Pawlenty’s the exception.

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 9:29 PM

And let’s not simply dismiss out of hand the fact she was picked over their Governor which could result into some bruised feelings…

TheBigOldDog on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

CNN poll: 50% say Palin isn’t qualified to be president

Pretty astonishing considering that 80% of people know nothing at all about her…

Lehosh on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Hey, where’s that goof “conservative for obama” aka philhedricks aka bodemillerjokes aka Punk aka about 15 more names?

Blake on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

If you believe the Left and how racist this country is, then BHO would be at the same odds if not higher. I personally do not think with the SS that we have today and the medical care the POTUS gets there is much of a chance of an assination nor of a heart attack. So the whole argument of McCain’s age is a carnard. Even Reagan as old as he was was kept in top form by the white house medical staff.

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Most of those who aren’t political junkies don’t understand the difference between executive political experience and legislative/judicial experience unless you explain it and/or draw their attention to it. (I’ve done this recently with family members.)

baldilocks on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Time to ask the boss to relegate me to gossip items and viral videos, yes?

Yes. Sorry, Allah. Unless you plan on staying inebriated between now and Nov 4 or unless you have an excellent pharmaceutical plan, this is no place for the faint of heart.

ManlyRash on August 31, 2008 at 9:53 PM

This polling analysis seems a bit off to me.

Here’s my take:
- Obama got his bounce from Bubba’s speech after 3 flat convention days. Not particularly inspiring, but at least he got the projected bounce (in most polls).
- He got no further bounce from Day 4 or his speech and flattened out again on Friday
- Saturday polls were still flat for Obama or showed him a point or so back down. Again, not significant but not inspiring. On the other hand, based on a 30 minute introduction with Palin, McCain picks up an average of 2 points. McCain/ Palin wiped Obama from the headlines immediately. It’s like DNC Day for did not exist. Further, Obama got a zero/ negative bounce from picking Biden.
- Today, we’ve seen a 1-2 point decline for Obama and a 2-4 point jump for McCain. Palin still dominates media coverage in the big Sunday press- bad for the first Sunday after the DNC. The only other thing being talked about is Gustov and Palin coverage is even challenging a natural disaster story. 3rd place is the RNC talk and how Gustov will impact the convention. Breaking news is 50% RNC updates/ 50% Gustov updates.

The consistent theme so far on Palin is “WTF!?!”, which makes even the bad press good. People are DYING to know more about her.

So, it’s now up to Gustov. If the hurricane kills the standard RNC bounce, McCain and Obama are tied with the Palin bio waiting in the wings to be played. If Gustov fizzles and the RNC meets minimum requirements and there is no further Palin bump, you end up with McCain up by 5 to 53%.

From there it’s up to Palin and the debates. Personally, I like those odds. Joe is almost guaranteed to gaffe, even if Palin scrapes by- +1 McCain. The One has consistently sucked in debates- +1 McCain.

The danger is in a massive Palin rejection or bad news on her investigation.

Damiano on August 31, 2008 at 9:53 PM

I think McCain’s obvious political pandering for the hurricane cameras with Harriet Palin along to Look Sad! will make his life expectancy a moot point, jimmy.

He’s done.

I knew the Repubs would figure out a way to keep Bush and Cheney away from their convention.

Too bad they can’t cancel the whole thing.

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Where on earth did they find this drip?

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

MSNBC – I kid you not. He was a regular on Hardball when I could stand to watch it years ago.

TheBigOldDog on August 31, 2008 at 9:55 PM

No, but she should give you time off to have a pair surgically implanted. Buck up, Allah. It’s gonna be okay.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2008 at 9:56 PM

CNN poll: 50% say Palin isn’t qualified to be president

Then what do they say about Obama?

petefrt on August 31, 2008 at 9:56 PM

CNN polls are worthless and they always have been. The biggest problem with the focus groups is that most of the people who sign up for them are activists and can’t be trusted to give info that isn’t deliberately dishonest just to get into the group. I do find Luntz’s thing interesting, but it’s hard to trust it.

If it is fairly correct, then it could mean a slight knee-jerk reaction to having a women in the VP slot. I’m slightly biased against having a female Prez for the simple reason that there aren’t too many Thatchers around. Sarah Palin, on the other hand, appears to be the type of woman who would have easily won the approval of Thatcher.

Connie on August 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I just don’t understand how people can just put Palin off for her “inexperience” and say Obama has more “experience.”
This focus group is full of Obama apologists. I thought they were swing voters. They all already know who they are voting for. What kind of vetting is that?!

jencab on August 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

He’s done.
alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:55 PM

If you really believe that, you wouldn’t be here talking out of your a$$. You fool no one.

Blake on August 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

He’s done.

Heh. This, in the light of polls showing Obama received no significant bounce from his convention.

Head, meet sand.

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I’m as or more qualified to be President than 0bambi and that’s not boast. Mn resume’s broader, I’ve lived in several foreign countgries so my foreign policy experience is broader. I don’t associate with known terrorists and low-lifes and best of all, I’m not a lawyer. Unfortunately, I’m not better qualified as Ms. Palin.

GeneSmith on August 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

if Bush could sound as intelligent as Palin does in the CNBC interview, in complete command of the issue at hand, his poll numbers would be much higher. IMO

jp on August 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM

I heard a “journalist” talking about this very thing this morning. The explanation is that “we’re used to Obama now”. Apparently, that is an adequate reason for some people.

I would like to suggest something, on that point. I’ve noticed that people rarely refer to her as “Governor Palin”, but I think it might be good if we got into the habit of doing that, since liberals and the MSM seem to be minimizing the fact that she IS in fact the governor of a state. They are purposely focusing on other things in her history.

Just an idea.

capitalist piglet on August 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 31, 2008 at 9:55 PM

figures

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

baldilocks on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Honestly, I think they might. They might not reflect it in polls, but it isn’t an accident that most Presidents are also Governors. There hasn’t been a Senator without Military experience elected to POTUS….in a long time. Either they’ve been Senators with military experience, VPs with executive experience, or governors with executive experience. If you hold on, I’ll try to find the last non-military Senator elected president. It is truly astonishing how little experience Obama has.

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

baldilocks on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Why don’t you post your argument on your blog?

Blake on August 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

America has the lowest odds of living through the first term of an Obama presidency.

Exit snark: Which party brought up Robert Kennedy?

Ronnie on August 31, 2008 at 10:00 PM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Where is that at?

ninjapirate on August 31, 2008 at 10:01 PM

jencab on August 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

The kind of vetting CNN prefers, of course. lol!

Blake on August 31, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Haha, Blake.

5’5″ McCain standing up to the Hurricane is gonna look like the Expedia yard gnome.

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM

She’s female, so she won’t get the respect of being called Governor.

She’s constantly referred to as having been a “mayor of a small town” because that fits her appearance. That’s how the media brainwashing works.

econavenger on August 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Yep, just looked it up. The last president who was basically nothing was Herbert Hoover. He was a Secretary of Commerce and his “leadership” led to the Great Depression.

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 10:04 PM

OK, you do realize you’re talking about the VICE-FREAKING-PRESIDENT, right? There are about a million things in the world you need to worry about before this.

Jeeze. Think really hard, back to two days ago: Did you think McCain’s was a shoo-in then? No, of course not. You were worried sick he’d pick someone like Huckabee or Lieberman, thus proving every bad thing everyone ever said about him.

The only reason you think you feel so devastated right now is because, for the first time in months, you felt a twinge of hope and now you’re afraid of having it snatched away again.

The fact is that – right at this moment – you’re not one whit worse off now than you were two days ago; you only think you are because you’re on an emotional roller coaster. Love will do that to a person.

logis on August 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM

And by that I mean a president who before having served was neither A) in the military, B) A VP, C) a governor.

Hoover wasn’t even a Senator.

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2008 at 10:04 PM

I bet Margaret would argue that.

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM