An unconventional Labor Day

posted at 10:30 pm on August 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

As most Hot Air readers already know, the first day of the convention will feature little more than the most essential business of the GOP.  Earlier I offered my proposal for a way to turn the first day into a fund-raising event that would have actually been productive, but no one doubted the need to tone down the politics on the first day.  Whether that will extend to the second day remains in doubt, but the GOP has to conduct some kind of event on Wednesday and Thursday in order to nominate their candidates properly.

I will still go to the Xcel Center tomorrow to cover what events will occur.  I’m curious as to what will happen, who will be around, and what the mood and undertone will be.  Hopefully, I can land a few interviews and bring some news out of an arena that will likely get little attention from the mainstream media.  In the meantime, it gives me an opportunity to test out my equipment and the platform in the Xcel.  If nothing else, I can follow the news as well there as at home.

Keep an eye on us tomorrow.  I’ll probably get an opportunity to do radio with the BBC and maybe with Hugh Hewitt.  We’ll take it as it comes.

Comments

Good Luck and God Speed Ed!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on August 31, 2008 at 10:32 PM

It’s an all around case of bad luck. It really sucks. I was looking forward to a celebration of our party, but they’re doing what needs to be done–otherwise, it’ll be the Republicans were partying while people were in a disaster.

Enoxo on August 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Wow, late night. Even after the Quote of the Day. NO will be fine and the convention will go on just fine once it passes. It’ll hit just south. Now Hannah might be a problem, but it is a minimum hurricane and might provide us the much needed and prayed for drought relief that we’ve been getting over the last few weeks.

Never fear, Palin is here. If she can take on a bear, she can take on a donkey.

ThackerAgency on August 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Good luck and have fun, Ed. Find Fred! for us if you can.

Connie on August 31, 2008 at 10:35 PM

If she can take on a bear, she can take on a donkey.

ThackerAgency on August 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Pretty good!

Connie on August 31, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Thanks, Ed.

davidk on August 31, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Never fear, Palin is here. If she can take on a bear, she can take on a donkey.

I second that!

Browncoatone on August 31, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Whatever happens, I’m sure you’ll do a great job covering the events that unfold.

MrsWeebork on August 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Good luck and have fun, Ed. Find Fred! the future AG for us if you can. Connie on August 31, 2008 at 10:35 PM

fixed that

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Ed:
Get an interview with Governor Palin! Have a safe trip!

GarandFan on August 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Osama Obama will be very quiet tomorrow. He knows nothing about labor.

MrScribbler on August 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Ed,

Hope you run in to Alan Colmes and send him some Hot Air regards!

Michelle on August 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Ed obviously miss the QOTD!

Ed, I will look forward to your posts… as a good beta male can.

Kini on August 31, 2008 at 10:40 PM

It all depends on how bad the damage is along the gulf coast. Fox is reporting 90-95% evacuation rate. If the levees hold, it won’t be so bad.

McCain probably did a smart thing; taking an excuse away from the democrats to demagogue the convention as ‘rich people party while poor people suffer’.

rockhauler on August 31, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Ya,I know the RNConvention wants to post-pone a day or two,
and with gleeful finger pointing over Katrina,even tho,the
lib got caught telling his true feelings about Hurricane
misery,i think its a smart PR decision!!

Even tho,the Liberal Democratics refuse to accept that
they failed to act on the last disaster!

Blame starts with Mayor,then Governor!

canopfor on August 31, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I’ll bet this is going to be a fun convention. Conservatives party much better than Liberals do. We have joy in our lives and it shows at events like these.

Possible entrance music for Sarah?

Take off to the great white north
Quinn the Eskimo
Sleigh Ride
Snowfall
Barracuda (my fave)
Man Eater
Sarah
Sarah Smile

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Latest weather report says hurricane looks like it’s veering to the west, will graze New Orleans but no direct hit.

I predict a sigh of relief tomorrow, and resumption of the convention on Tuesday.

jeff_from_mpls on August 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM

OT I know, but what happened to Blogging the Koran this week?

Good luck tho at the convention. Keep your spit shields handy when among the demonstrators, and a certain Fox News celebutard.

JarvisW on August 31, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Over/under on length of standing O that Palin gets. Love to see 5 minutes.

Paul-Cincy on August 31, 2008 at 10:54 PM

I will still go to the Xcel Center tomorrow to cover what events will occur. I’m curious as to what will happen, who will be around, and what the mood and undertone will be.

Much of the mood and undertone will depend on what happens on the Gulf Coast in the morning/early afternoon when Gustav is supposed to make landfall.

Frankly, I won’t be paying much attention to Republicans tomorrow unless they say or do something really stupid. I’m more concerned about how much longer I have to be stuck here in Memphis away from home and unable to go back to work on Tuesday. I’m more concerned about friends, family, co-workers who also evacuated than anything that is said during a process that is intended to get a crusty old liberal elected President.

Sorry if I come off as bitter but most of you all get to go back to work Tuesday at the end of a leisurely long weekend. I’m one of those whose life has been disrupted and it still isn’t clear how much or how longer that will be the case. For me this “holiday” weekend involved evacuating and dealing with hanging out in limbo until the storm blows through. I’m in a good place in the sense everything that matters is safe and I have the most important stuff with me (including family and pets) but now the irritation is setting in. My IPOD was left behind in the rush to evacuate (though I have the charger for it). I have all the clothes necessary for a weekend vacation but am screwed if this lasts longer than a week. The dog and kids are becoming cranky at the enforced “vacation” and lack of normality.

The last thing I need to see is a bunch of Republicans holding a convention and pretending that almost 2 Million displaced Southern Americans don’t matter.

highhopes on August 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Thanks, Ed…I appreciate the hard work involved….and the hours…

b4lucy on August 31, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I’m there with ya Ed,

“Don’t just do something…stand there”

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 31, 2008 at 10:57 PM

I GUESS THAT THE OBAMESSIAH IS ANSWERING MOORE’S/FOWLER’S “PRAYERS”…

reliapundit on August 31, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Let us know if there’s a Ruth Chris [matthews] Steakhouse there!
So I can get a thrill up my leg!

Kini on August 31, 2008 at 10:58 PM

NOLA survived Katrina the Storm well. Everyone woke up the morning after the storm relieved to find that Katrina had done typical damage. It wasn’t the storm that devastated the NOLA, it was the levee break. And the reasons for the break and the failure to evacuate people, provide protection, request national assistance or do something so simple as calling up the state’s National Guard don’t need to be rehashed here.

There will be storm damage from Gustav and the coastal areas will be devastated. Those of us in the coastal South have a lot of experience with hurricanes and Gustav will not be the last. We know how to take care of ourselves and each other. There will be clean up and reconstruction and life will go on.

After seeing to it that the hurricane areas are under control, the RNC convention needs to go on as well. Hopefully we’ll find a way to bring in reformers and get rid of the Republican insider corruption w/o allowing the Leftists to corrupt our Country.

obladioblada on August 31, 2008 at 10:58 PM

highhopes: Sorry about your iPod.

obladioblada on August 31, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Highhopes (10:55) I’ll extend some sympathy if you think that will help, and I’ll make a donation to the Red Cross for shelter/relief operations.

Keep us posted, eh? You in a shelter? On your own? Bars and restaurants well stocked?

How far inland did you move, and would you mind a running commentary on weather conditions?

rockhauler on August 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM

EMS tomorrow?

Weebork on August 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM

highhopes on August 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I know this might not be much of a help, but if I could I’d be there to help you’all out.

Best of luck Hot Header.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Ed,

Hope you run in to Alan Colmes and send him some Hot Air regards!

Michelle on August 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

+1. Oh, and say a “friendly” hello to Richard Brookheiser for me too. I had to go to Ace’s to type what I really thought of his comments.

Ms. Malkin….you got sent to loonyland/Denver but not Minneapolis? You may want to renegotiate your contract with Fox.

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Never fear, Palin is here. If she can take on a bear, she can take on a donkey.

ThackerAgency on August 31

yup

Possible entrance music for Sarah?,Mojave Mark

I like this

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

obladioblada on August 31, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Damn how I love our guys from the South!

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

highhopes: Sorry about your iPod.

obladioblada on August 31, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Believe it or not much of this evacuation stuff is done without anybody to talk to or understand what is going on. I’m here in Memphis among lovely people who simply thini that this is a vacation.

I’ve just been venting my frustation. No sympathy needed though appreciated.

highhopes on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

HEH! No HA!

Kini on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

I hope you have plenty of chances to have fun, Ed…and I mean that in several senses of the word–business and pleasure all wrapped into one!

Bob's Kid on August 31, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Get ready for some serious propaganda from the nutroots. They are playing the salon.com and the slashdot crowd for suckers right now:

What they are claiming:

“”Last night, members of the St. Paul police department and the Ramsey County sheriff’s department handcuffed, photographed and detained dozens of people meeting at a public venue to plan a demonstration, charging them with no crime other than ‘fire code violations,’ ”

The facts: (http://www.startribune.com/local/27703754.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX)

“On Saturday afternoon, he displayed a number of the confiscated items: a gun, throwing knives, a bow and arrows, flammable liquids, paint, slingshots, rocks and buckets of urine.”

pedestrian on August 31, 2008 at 11:10 PM

CNN and MSNBC have done all they can to avoid mentioning anything about the RNC. Fox had worked in moments about it.

Overall, media coverage will suck. But for those of us who ccan read, the blogs and print will keep us informed – just aas they currently do.

madmonkphotog on August 31, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I have a question, maybe someone can anwser me. What happens if Gustav turns worse and New orleans is a direct hit?

I have heard it mentioned they could cancel the convention. What would that mean?

clover_dave on August 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I like this
mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

MG I watched this earlier today when DOWNTOWN first posted it. It had a little over 400 hits. Now just 4 hours later it has over 6,000. You can’t tell me that we’re going to lose this one.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM

rockhauler on August 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Not sure what you are saying or implying. I’m one of the 2 million evacuees. I’m not hanging out in bars or looking for sympathy. I’m venting some frustation here online because it is better to snap here than when my child asks when she can go home. It’s a stressful time for us which you clearly don’t understand by your remarks. Hoping you will someday understand what an ass you are.

highhopes on August 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Nope. Entry music From the Boondocks by Little Big Town:

same band, for the PUMAs:

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Ed,
You just march right in there and show’em how it’s done…

We are with ya.

TheSitRep on August 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Great band, very patriotic concert, no profanity.

And not country:

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 11:18 PM

clover_dave on August 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM

They can’t “cancel” the convention if they want to be on the ballot in November. At this point the business that needs to be done could occur in a day or less- the rest is fluff and stagecraft. Essentially they need to officially convene, adopt a platform, and nominate a candiate VP and President.

highhopes on August 31, 2008 at 11:18 PM

THESE DATA SUGGEST THAT THE LANDFALL INTENSITY OF
GUSTAV WILL LIKELY BE NOT VERY DIFFERENT FROM ITS CURRENT CATEGORY
THREE STRENGTH. NONE OF THE AVAILABLE OBJECTIVE AIDS…THE
GFDL…HWRF…SHIPS…AND LGEM SHOW MUCH CHANGE IN THE REMAINING
TIME GUSTAV HAS OVER WATER.

Looks like Gustav has peaked, thankfully. Best of luck to Louisiana.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Highhopes…am an hour east of Memphis…if you need to get out of the city/hotel give a shout! West TN is lovely and you can come visit here in red neck Dem land and have a great laugh with me! And hey, I am one terrific cook too! :)

dustoffmom on August 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM

How about North To Alaska?

jgapinoy on August 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM

highhopes on August 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I just reread rockhaulers comment to you. I believe he meant no offense.

I’m not talking for him just that it seemed to me that he was honestly concerned about you and yours. As we all are. That’s all.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Thanks Ed. Have fun!

xplodeit on August 31, 2008 at 11:26 PM

highhopes on August 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Sorry to hear it. Memphis is the last place in the world anyone should be stuck in. I had the unfortunate luck of having lived there for a year once.

Hang in there. If all else fails, grab one of the huge yellow booze buckets from Beale St. and drown your pain. Failing that, you’re welcome in TX anytime.

Damiano on August 31, 2008 at 11:31 PM

I just reread rockhaulers comment to you. I believe he meant no offense.

Agree….believe he was just trying to be humorous. However, in such stressful conditions I can understand where perceived offense could be assigned. Wishing the best for you and your family Highhopes and the invitation is for real and honest. Come visit small town TN! HotAir friends are…well, friends!

dustoffmom on August 31, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Well, Ed, I think its stupid. No one is talking about fund raisers for the people of northeast Florida who were flooded by TS Fay. No one talked about putting the nation’s life on hold because TS Fay was dumping feet of water in Brevard County.

But if someone says “Hurricane” and “New Orleans” in the same sentence the business of the nation has to be suspended out of concern or respect or whatever. Is this to be the new norm, every time there is a natural disaster somewhere in America everyone’s life has to go on hold for a day or a week?

I assume that the players and fans of the 11 baseball games scheduled for Monday will be called callous jerks because the games will go on despite the disaster approaching Ne Orleans?

THIS IS JUST PLAIN STUPID.

johnsteele on August 31, 2008 at 11:33 PM

HighHopes
It was an sincere question. I presume then that you are in a shelter, would you mind telling us your conditions? What kind of building, what kind of food service?

Your first post sounded like you have evacuated yourself to motel somewhere, which is why I asked about commercial food service.

How long was the bus ride, or train ride? Stuck in traffic? Fox was reporting 12-14 hour traffic jams. Fox also reports that you are told to assemble at a designated area, and get on a bus. I can understand the frustration, not knowing where you are going, or how long you will be staying.

Is there any indication yet (probably not) of when you might be able to return? Will you know what condition your home is before returning?

Who is administering your shelter, Red Cross, FEMA, or some other agency?

There isn’t much we can do at this point, until after the storm is over. What do you need?

rockhauler on August 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM

johnsteele on August 31, 2008 at 11:33 PM

YIKES! While I see your point, can we say “BITTER”?

dustoffmom on August 31, 2008 at 11:36 PM

johnsteele on August 31, 2008 at 11:33 PM

That’s because Florida is full of self reliant people who are not wards of the state waiting with their hands our for the government to give them their debit cards after they pluck their dumb asses off a roof.

Let’s hear it for Florida!!!!

conservnut on August 31, 2008 at 11:38 PM

And thank you Jeb for that mindset! As a former JAX resident I can tell you that Floridians are indeed resilient, even the gray hairs :) These disasters are just part of life and they overall handle them quite nicely thank you very much.

dustoffmom on August 31, 2008 at 11:41 PM

By the way, was there even a mention of TS fay and the flooding in Florida during the Dem convention?

Let me answer that………NO!!!!!!!!!!

conservnut on August 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM

highhopes: We don’t have to evacuate for this one, but worked for Katrina evacuees and evacuated ourselves for Rita.

We’ve been abled to bunker down for the other storms we’ve encountered throughout the Coastal South, but being an evacuee changes your entire perspective. Even if you should somehow have the good fortune to leave for palatial digs, you are uneasy, short-tempered, disrupted, or -in my case– plain nasty. You wonder how much of your life will be left when you get back, if you’ll still have a job, what the physical and emotional toll of rebuilding will be.

Being away stinks and the dread and unknowing of the drive back is bad. Not to go too much Pollyanna on you, but the optimistic news is that unless you are coastal or located on waterways, the probability is that you’ll have minor damage.

obladioblada on August 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM

jeff_from_mpls on August 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM

If it turns out that way, I can hear McCain saying, “We’re very happy to be here, and to have our convention under way, after the last couple of days of uncertainty. I know that Michael Moore is very disappointed but New Orleans is safe.”

Can Sarah Palin just read the list (like from the Primer posted earlier) of slanders that they’ve been pushing about her into the public record, so everyone not connected to the blogosphere knows what’s going on? Just read it, and then say, “That’s what some people are saying about me. Just want to welcome me to the process I guess.” I would think that she could really shame some of these people–that’s what having class can do for you. To see that shite coming out of her mouth–it would affect people I think. Like someone made a really classless remark about her on HA a couple of days ago, and got slapped down by someone who wrote, “Would you say that to her face?” Some light needs to be shone on these cockroaches. Maybe it would just backfire in some way–I don’t know.

smellthecoffee on August 31, 2008 at 11:51 PM

conservnut on August 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Florida has a history of competent republican governors. Florida is pretty good at these things.

lorien1973 on August 31, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Thanks for keeping us on top, Ed.

silverfox on August 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Off topic….sorry ED….but have to mention i just drove the ‘back way’ from west TN to Tampa area and back in the past week. Feel like i have been through every small town in TN, AL, GA, and down the west coast of FL. Paid particular atention and can report that in 1500+ miles I saw not one Obama sign…not one! I passed hundreds and hundreds of ‘local’ and state signs, but no O signs at all. To be fair, I saw only 4 McCain signs….but I did see some with his name along the way. 4 times more than ‘the one’. I stand by my theory that yard signs point the way….and this trip showed that O is in trouble.

dustoffmom on September 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Nice to see some compliments to Florida. We tend to get bad jokes about elections!

That’s true. We set a record of some 26-27″ of rain here in 24 hours. However, as a Brevard resident I’ll say this. First, NOLA is a historic town. Second, fair or unfair (and we all know Nagin and Blanco were inept), Katrina was a PR mess for the R’s (remember Brown and FEMA?) and this needs to be done right to obliterate that.

Let me answer that………NO!!!!!!!!!!

conservnut on August 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Excellent point. I didn’t watch enough of the convention to know that.

I also want to concur with obladioblada. Evacuating is a difficult experience with its emotional wear and tear of not knowing how/when/if your daily life will go back to normal.

INC on September 1, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Wow … A flag..! I dont remember seeing one at the Dem convention until the blogs pointed that out. Then ‘shazam’…30mins prior to Bill Clinton’s speech, everybody had a flag .. !

HadaAbeche on September 1, 2008 at 12:08 AM

“We’re very happy to be here, and to have our convention under way, after the last couple of days of uncertainty. I know that Michael Moore is very disappointed but New Orleans is safe”

I’m going to email the McCain campaign to say that because that is a great line.”

chip91 on September 1, 2008 at 12:13 AM

I like this
mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Thanks, That was beautiful.

TheSitRep on September 1, 2008 at 12:13 AM

0bama does fly the flag just some round object with white and blue stripes. Its the 0 object its all about him and 0 about the nation! Its on his plane where a flag normally is.

McCain/Palin putting country first!
If Palin can handle a bear she can handle a donkey or jackass!

dhunter on September 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

If Palin can handle a bear she can handle a donkey or jackass!

If she can dodge a wrench, she can dodge a ball!

lorien1973 on September 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM

I

’ve just been venting my frustation

Vent away. I can only imagine!

Bob's Kid on September 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM

HadaAbeche on September 1, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Ronnie on September 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM

I like this
mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM

wish they would show it at the convention

mary jo on September 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Here’s an idea:

Cancel the convention and spend the savings on McCain/Palin ads!!!

landlines on September 1, 2008 at 12:36 AM

landlines on September 1, 2008 at 12:36 AM

There has to be a convention, legally. there has to be.

Also, it’s the largest free media exposure McCain is gonna get from now to november. Its important.

lorien1973 on September 1, 2008 at 12:50 AM

OT I know, but what happened to Blogging the Koran this week?

JarvisW on August 31, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Connie on September 1, 2008 at 12:52 AM

OT I know, but what happened to Blogging the Koran this week?

JarvisW on August 31, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Good question. Go to Jihad Watch for the rest of the story.

Connie on September 1, 2008 at 12:54 AM

johnsteele on August 31, 2008 at 11:33 PM
YIKES! While I see your point, can we say “BITTER”?

dustoffmom on August 31, 2008 at 11:36 PM

BITTER? Bitter implies that I am upset over some slight or inequity done to me or the good folks of Northern Florida and I am certainly not that. As noted by others, folks here in Florida tend to deal with these things properly, take them in stride and get on with our lives without waiting for the feds to bail us out. (And for the record, I’m in South Florida so I don’t have a dog in this particular fight.)

My irritation (not bitterness) is over the way we are responding to this situation simply because it involves New Orleans. We allowed the left and the press to run the tables on us over Katrina by not responding; responding not to the storm but to the lies and distortions. Now we are stuck, New Orleans hangs like an albatross around our necks to the point where we have to postpose the convention simply because a hurricane is going to make landfall somewhere in the vicinty of New Orleans. Well, hurricanes and tornados and floods and earthquakes happen all the time and life goes on, the nation’s business goes on. aside from being a stupid response, this kind of reaction to a hurricane in the proximity of New Orleans is insulting and devalues the rest of America.

Sometime in the early morning hours of this coming Friday TS/Hurricane Hanna is expected to cross the GA/SC coast around Savannah/Charleston. Yet I have not heard one word anywhere about concern for the good people of the low country, or suggesting that the nation’s life should be put on hold, or anything at all. True they will simply deal with it like the people of Florida (or the people of Mississippi and Alabama did, unheralded, post Katrina). But mention “New Orleans” and we have to be careful least we appear to be callous or we will criticized by the Dems and their mouthpieces in the press.

It isn’t bitterness, its anger that our leadership doesn’t seem to have the spine to stand up to the left. No one is going to criticize baseball for engaging in frivolous games on Monday “during a time of national crisis in New Orleans.” But we are going to run away and hide. So we postpone the convention, McCain/Palin will go and sit in the emergency center, etc., so that we present the proper appearance of concern to deny the Dems some more lies and distortions. Where are they planning to be when Hanna blasts ashore? Should be in the ERC in Georgia or SC? Of course not, they should be pursuing the election which is where they should be on Friday —- and Monday for that matter.

No I’m not bitter. I’m angry because the Dems lie and we respond by playing their game. Note to John McCain: The left is not going to say nice things about you just because you postpone the convention, they are just going to laugh. They are not our friends.

johnsteele on September 1, 2008 at 12:55 AM

The night is warm
The wind is high
A wave of dark
Is in the sky
I watch the dark
And wonder when
This wind will sweep
Away my home again

BlakeneyP on September 1, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Very well done DT, send it to the RNC for use as her intro before her acceptance speech.

Zorro on August 31, 2008 at 6:24 AM

LOL! Thanks.

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 6:37 AM

stop laughing and send them the link
please

mary jo on September 1, 2008 at 1:06 AM

If she can dodge a wrench, she can dodge a ball! – Lorien

Ha! Nice. Best scene in that movie.

Blame starts with Mayor, then Governor! – CanOpFor

How come somebody from another country (well, sort of) can figure this out, but half the people in this country can not?

Tony737 on September 1, 2008 at 1:11 AM

ReddState has coverage of what become of those flags after they outlived their usefulness. – Ron

Figured that. As I was watching them wave those flags, I was thinking “Those people would rather BURN the flag than wave it.”

I thought they liked to recycle? Why didn’t they give the flag to the RNC to be used again? Hmmmmmm?

Tony737 on September 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM

johnsteele on September 1, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Damn I’m here in N/Calif and all we worry about is really hot weather. Not even earthquakes, just the loony leftists. I’ve never met you sir, but I would be proud to shake your hand someday.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

President Obama channels George Bush:

Revised statement coming in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…

Damiano on September 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Idea – maybe a subdued GOP convention will keep the Dhimmocrats and their media allies from figuring out how enthused the base is about Palin. Wow – in 4 years we can fight over Jindal vs Palin. No losers!

bill30097 on September 1, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Possible entrance music for Sarah?

Take off to the great white north
Quinn the Eskimo
Sleigh Ride
Snowfall
Barracuda (my fave)
Man Eater
Sarah
Sarah Smile

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Try this one: Different Breed by a great new country female trio called Carter’s Chord.

Watch CMT Video

Lyrics:
They’ve got shiny cars and polished nails
Yeah, those girls they’ve got everything right
They’ve got fancy clothes, perfect hair, steady lives
But I don’t

They’re the first to send out thank you notes
They’ve got well kept homes to entertain
They’ll do anything just to please you
But I won’t

If these are the girls that you choose
What make you think I’d be good for you

Chorus:
Can you tell me baby
What do you see in me
I’m a FAST RIDE I’m a crashing tide and
I’m crazy
Can you tell me baby
What do you see in me
You’ve loved a long line of consistency
I’m a different breed

Every time you take me out boy
We see another girl whose held your hand
And she acts like she doesn’t care with me
But I know..
She don’t like the way I look on you
I make her nervous ’cause I don’t fit in
With my deep brown eyes, cigarette, cowboy boots
I stand alone (alone-whoa)
Baby I wonder if you know what
You’re getting yourself into

Mr_Magoo on September 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM

BTW: The keyboard player is a real BABE!

Mr_Magoo on September 1, 2008 at 2:27 AM

OK, so I tried my link and it didn’t work. Probably due to the embeded video player. You can still go to cmt.com and browse for Carter’s Chord.

Mr_Magoo on September 1, 2008 at 2:34 AM

This is all a bit much for me.

All this Oprah-like caring is a bit much. There is no way in hell that this storm was going to duplicate the horror of Katrina. I watched the panic of Rita, shortly after Katrina and it was so overdone that it was an embarrassment. I saw lines of cars on the highway up to Odessa and Midland, five hundred miles away.

My 90 year-old aunt and uncle were needlessly transported up to Bryan (100 miles north of Houston) in the middle of dangerous rains and winds and hideous traffic for no reason at all. They had only three inches of rain at their house in Houston, barely what they get in a small thunderstorm in Houston in the summer.

If the whole idea is to hide Bush and Cheney from the MSM, then I guess there was a political dimension in this, but life goes on and Jindal’s on the job!!

TexasJew on September 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Democrat lip service Vs. GOP active service.

The Dem’s recreation of Triumph of The Wills Vs. McCain/Palin kneedeep in sandbags talking to emergency workers, National Guard, etc… with Bobby Jindal running the tightest ship since Old Ironsides and other GOP notables “reporting for duty” literally.

Useless protesters Vs. People putting aside politics to actually help people.

I can’t think of a more stark contrast to present to the American people.

SuperCool on September 1, 2008 at 3:46 AM

McCain/Palin kneedeep in sandbags talking to emergency workers

Yeah, Supercool…America will be sooooooo impressed by that.

alphie on September 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM

Yeah, Supercool…America will be sooooooo impressed by that. Nobody will think they’re looking a couple of amateur politician milking a disaster for personal gain. – alphie on September 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM

Ah, but YOU would, ma petite colorectal polyp. Looks like the sun will be rising soon, Alphie. Time to crawl back under the bridge.

ManlyRash on September 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM

What Gustav Does (Noemie Emery in the Weekly Standard)

(1) Gets Bush out of St. Paul, where he would have given a speech that the media and the Democrats would have pounced on, and puts him in the eye of the storm, doing the nation’s business, where he will be welcomed and greeted by friendly Republican governors.

(2) Puts the spotlight on those friendly Republican governors–Haley Barbour, Charlie Crist, and most of all, Bobby Jindal, (the male Sarah Palin)–who will do their jobs competently, in contrast with the mess made three years ago by the Democratic governor of Louisiana, whose performance even at the time was compared unfavorably to that of Barbour and Jeb Bush, then Florida’s governor.

(3) Puts the spotlight especially upon Jindal, a huge favorite of and rising star in the Republican party, who has the chance now to prove himself under pressure on a truly huge stage.

(4) Cuts short the hours and hours of media chatter, which would doubtless have focused on a) how tarnished the ‘Republican brand’ is in this season; b) the immensely high bar set by Barack Obama, and c) the immensely strong current the party is swimming against.

(5) Cuts short the exposure given the ‘Republican brand’ by cutting short coverage of more conventional (and boring) Republican figures and boilerplate, and focusing largely on the three starring figures–Jindal, McCain, and Sarah Palin (the pale Bobby Jindal)–who are diverse, unorthodox, have cross-over potential, and are decidedly outside of the box.

(6) Eliminates the danger of a direct comparison between the oratorical talents of McCain and Obama, as a conventional acceptance speech will be no longer possible, and anything McCain says in this context will have its own innate power.

(7) Takes McCain from a setting in which he’s uncomfortable (partisan leader of a partisan army) to one–national leader rallying a country in crisis–which suits him much better.

(8) Takes the convention from the traditional role of being an orgy of enemy-bashing to one of national service and charity.

(9) Gives fools like former DNC chairman Don Fowler a chance to wholly embarrass themselves by chortling over the inconveniences he imagined the storm would inflict on the Republican party. Watch what you wish for, my friend.

ManlyRash on September 1, 2008 at 6:29 AM

Yeah, Supercool…America will be sooooooo impressed by that.

alphie on September 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM

Alphie, do me a favor, will you lefties make up your bloody minds? You lefties were upset as hell at Bush when he didn’t cancel his vacation and rush personally to New Orleans to fill sandbags. Now you’re upset that the politicians are going to New Orleans to personally see what is going on, and you’re still upset.

Dude, you can’t have it both ways. You have to choose one, or the other. Now it’s not even part of the debate that the perceived lack of response to Katrina was part of the sense of general dis-satisfaction during the 2006 election. You yourself posted that the “Neocons” were pretending that the election didn’t happen. Now you’re upset that they appear to have learned from the defeat?

Personally, I don’t think that this was the right way to go. Instead, I would have had the President hold a Teleconference right before the storm hit, with the Press in attendance as observers of course. I would have had the President and Obama, and McCain there to inform the people in charge of the response including Jindal that anything you need, you just have to ask for. Part of what I would have suggested the President say is something like this. “I would have come down there, but my people tell me it would have taken fifty police officers to secure the area I would have been in, and that is fifty first responders I don’t want to have tied up shepherding me around instead of taking care of the people of New Orleans and the emergency going on.”

Fox for sure would have played it, and of course Olberman would have loved it as cannon fodder for his nightly rant on why MSNBC hates George Bush. He hates him for playing Golf, he hates him for giving Golf up. He hates him for going to war, he hates him for winning the war. Now it will be that he hates him for ignoring Katrina, and for not ignoring Gustav.

Perhaps you’re wrong, perhaps the Neocons did learn a thing or two from 2006. It’s a shame that the Democrats didn’t. The Democrats who have been winning have generally speaking, been running as Conservatives in Fiscal and security matters. That’s why things like the PATRIOT ACT pass, despite the objections of people like me. That’s why Homeland Insecurity continues to grow more powerful, and Pelosi and Reid are both powerless to stop the War in Iraq. Too many of those damn Blue Dog Democrats.

I have said it before, and I’ll say it again. I don’t like McCain, I’ve posted many times about the reasons for my opposition for him. I still think he won the election on Friday Amigo. Palin was a brilliant choice. The argument that she is “unqualified” is asinine. Neither Biden or Obama have ever served as Governor. Neither Biden or Obama have been a Mayor of a puny little town of even nine thousand. Neither has ever been the one. The one who gets the tough calls, the one who is held responsible if things go badly.

Alaska may be sparsely populated, but Palin was the Governor of that Sparsely Populated state. All Obama and Biden have is experience as part of a large group of blowhard jackasses. The election was Obama’s to lose, and he had a simple choice. He could have chosen a Democratic Governor but he didn’t. Instead he picked the old crony to satisfy the Democratic Party.

The mantra of Change has to be out the window now, in all honesty. That went out with the selection of Biden, who was one of the people resisting change. He resisted the now patently obviously successful change of the Surge. He resisted the change of Welfare Reform, which a Democratic President also resisted, until it was demonstrably working, then he decided it was a sign of his legacy. He resisted the demonstrably successful change of responsible budgeting, in other words the idea you don’t spend more than you have. When it worked, the same Democratic President claimed it was his legacy. Biden of course claimed the Republicans Squandered it. Squandered the very thing he swore wouldn’t work when he resisted it?

That’s the experience you want us to admire? The ability to be wrong at almost every turn? Amigo, I’d tell my friends it’s not exactly a winning topic.

I posted this on my blog. About the only thing you can say about Palin that is true as far as her lacking something the Democrats have is Law School. Of course, not being a Lawyer is a plus to most of us in the outside the beltway areas of this nation.

I hate John McCain, and don’t want him to be President. However the agent of change passed on the walking of the talk, and it looks like I’ll have to endure President McCain, God help us all.

Snake307 on September 1, 2008 at 6:37 AM

Wow, may I direct your attention to an interview that Scott Ott of Scrappleface has with an exceptional chair of North Carolina. This is not satire. http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=3072

onlineanalyst on September 1, 2008 at 7:45 AM

The leftists have won the argument.

Conservatives took the left at its word, at face value. The charge was that Bush was incompetent and uncaring, indifferent to the suffering of ordinary people in New Orleans.

This time Bush and McCain were determined to prove that they were competent and do care so:

tens of thousands of rescue and relief workers charged into the affected area. The sun was blotted out by thousands of rescue helicopters, thousands of 18 wheelers loaded with supplies clogged the highways, thousands of buses evacuated two million people to tens of thousands of emergency shelters dispersed over half a continent. The republican convention comes to a halt and all attention is turned to minute by minute news reports from the affected area.

Meanwhile there is another tropical storm building up to hurricane strength which appears to be headed for Florida
so:

tens of thousands of rescue and relief workers charged into the affected area. The sun was blotted out by thousands of rescue helicopters, thousands of 18 wheelers loaded with supplies clogged the highways, thousands of buses evacuated two million people to tens of thousands of emergency shelters dispersed over half a continent. All other activities around the country comes to a halt and all attention is turned to minute by minute news reports from the affected area.

Obviously then, the next earthquake in California and :

tens of thousands of rescue and relief workers charged into the affected area. The sun was blotted out by thousands of rescue helicopters, thousands of 18 wheelers loaded with supplies clogged the highways, thousands of buses evacuated two million people to tens of thousands of emergency shelters dispersed over half a continent. Businesses and schools close, fund raising appeals blanked the broadcast media, and all attention is turned to minute by minute news reports from the affected area.

or the next tornado in the midwest and :

tens of thousands of rescue and relief workers charged into the affected area. The sun was blotted out by thousands of rescue helicopters, thousands of 18 wheelers loaded with supplies clogged the highways, thousands of buses evacuated two million people to tens of thousands of emergency shelters dispersed over half a continent. Sporting events are canceled, people every where turn all their attention to minute by minute news reports from the affected area.

or the next wild fire :

…..

or the next flood along the Mississippi

…..

or the next blizzard .
. . .

and the only person to ask if this is the duty of the federal government is that nut case Ron Paul.

The liberals have won the argument, because conservatives didn’t understand what the argument was about: it is the duty of the federal government to care for our citizens, and provide all their needs, a list which will grow and grow.

To according to need, from each according to ability.

rockhauler on September 1, 2008 at 8:18 AM

One small problem with your thesis rockhauler: all of those natural disasters routinely plague the rest of the nation that is not New Orleans, and none of that stuff ever happens… EVER. When we get creamed by a hurricane here in Florida, we batten down or evacuate as appropriate, grit our way through it, then come out and clean up the mess, repair the damages and move on with our lives after assessing the potential vulnerabilities to the next storm.

None of the sudden rush of supplies and volunteers happens here, with the possible exception of generators and 3/8″ plywood at Home Depot and runs on bottled water at Winn Dixie and Publix.

It sucks to be in the path of a hurricane. I’ve been through four direct hits in my twenty-one years here. I’m not a “victim” because I choose not to be. I could live anywhere, yet I choose to live here. I insure my home, take any necessary precautions, and I cope with the damage the storms inflict. Compared to many in the midwest and South California, I’ve got it easy.

After Fay camped out on top of us for a few days and dumped enough rain to drown a tuna, and knocked a fifty-foot tree in my back yard (and through the fence), we waited patiently for the rain to go away, used the water and toilets sparingly since the excess ground water caused the septic tank to stop draining, then went out and chopped up the monster tree and carted it off. The fence has to wait until next payday because the wife is underemployed and things are tight. That’s life. Everyone reading this has been through similar trials. Americans laugh that kind of stuff off every day.

I’m not trying to throw a pity party, or cast a negative light on HighHope’s struggle. We all complain when this kind of thing happens. You should have heard me after a week without power following Charlie. HH is right to come here and vent rather than take it out on his wife and kids. Our duty is to try to buck him up, because he’s a friend who is going through tough times.

My hope is that you’ll be able to return to your home within a few days HH, and that you’ll find it intact and dry (on the inside at least). I’m glad you got your family out of harm’s way, and glad to see the storm has weakened and is less likely to cause as much destruction as we feared. God bless you and your family and keep you safe.

Immolate on September 1, 2008 at 11:59 AM