Video: Biden sees unborn people

posted at 11:49 am on August 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

If people worry how Sarah Palin will stack up against Joe Biden as a campaigner, perhaps this video clip of Biden introducing Barack Obama yesterday in Pennsylvania might help answer it.  Biden struggles to articulate his words, offers a weird version of his childhood move out of Scranton, and in general comes across a little buffoonish:

Bob Casey was twelve years older than me, and Bobby Casey was twelve years younger than me. And I knew somebody famous was going to come out of Scranton, and I sure a’ hell knew it wadn’t gonna be me.

Even under normal circumstances, Biden isn’t one of the party’s best campaigners. He manages to put his foot in his mouth too often, and usually sounds like a blowhard. Here, he’s either too tired to be on the stage or tryin’ too hard to soun’ like a reg’l'r guy. If he’s aiming for authenticity, he missed by a mile.

And what about this odd story about moving from Scranton? Biden left Scranton when he was 10 years old. Perhaps he is clairvoyant and foresaw “Bobby” Casey at the age of -2. I’d love to hear him make that argument. Maybe if that were the case, he could also explain why it’s okay to abort babies, when at the age of -2, Biden can see them destined for greatness.

It’s also worth noting that this particular myth gives the impression that Biden retreats when the going gets tough. Great story, Joe!

Biden just can’t help but exaggerate and lie on the campaign trail. The only surprise is that it took seven whole days before it happened as Obama’s running mate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Eat him up and spit him out alive Sarah.

rplat on August 30, 2008 at 11:52 AM

He sounds like one of those annoying, loud drunks…you know the guy, there’s one at every bar.

JetBoy on August 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Hey Ed, Is that fair, really? I bet Biden didn’t know, there would be math questions BIG GRIN.

Dr Evil on August 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Maybe we ought to schedule more vp debates.

ninjapirate on August 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Looks to me as if hair plugs cause brain damage, but Biden has made a fool of himself before so …

Still suffering from PEST? Could be!

DannoJyd on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 AM

yeah that can’t let go of the fact he made B honor roll ONCE….

“well when I tried I was a genius”….

yeah champ how often did you try again?

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Is he drunk?

chip91 on August 30, 2008 at 11:56 AM

JetBoy on August 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Except he would probably be at the bar of a place that isn’t even actually a bar, like a Chinese restaurant, and would be ranting to an orchid.

“I remember back in 1986 when I was in Shanghai…”

MB007 on August 30, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I live in Pennsylvania, and all I can say to this is

WTF????????????????

rockmom on August 30, 2008 at 11:57 AM

The guy sounds drunk!

Slurring his words, wobbling around, making no sense.

Oh, that’s right he’s a democrat…never mind then.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 30, 2008 at 11:57 AM

With apologies to Ann and Nancy Wilson:

He’s gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn to the wick…
She’ll destroy him…Sarah’cuda.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Pompous WINDBAG, he is.

Thank you for saying YES I Can when BO asked you to be his VP, Joe. You will be the gift that keeps on giving

originalpechanga on August 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Slurring his words, wobbling around, making no sense.

Oh, that’s right he’s a democrat…never mind then.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 30, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Maybe he’s gunning for Teddy’s “liberal Lion” job….better start running IVs of scotch and vodka at 0700 from now on.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM

I can’t even imagine Kos in the audience and not mumbling under his breath “Will you just shut up?”

Marcus on August 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM

DannoJyd on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I think the problem isn’t the plugs, its simply that he is a chronic liar and plagiarist.

Cardiganfox on August 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM

I can only imagine the inner conflict…

Biden, who got only 9000 votes in the primaries, after 35 years in Congress, playing second fiddle to a total newcomer, with less than half a full term as a Senator, and struggling at relevancy when but a short 48 hours ago he was the man of the hour…now beaten at the draw by a relative nobody from one of those states that don’t really count in national politics, and a woman, no less.

Biden’s world has changed totally. And he doesn’t even realize it.

coldwarrior on August 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Oh ya…and hitting on another guys wife…right in front of him.

Ya…drunk.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

What is he even trying to say? He knew somebody famous would come out of Scranton and knew it wouldn’t be him, so he moved away? Does anyone else understand it?

OneGyT on August 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Biden hasn’t lived in Pennsylvania for 55 years, since before Obama was born. Good grief.

rockmom on August 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

It sounded to me as if Joey had a few drinks before he spoke. Obama looked as if he were sorry it wasn’t Hillary introducing him, especially after the great choice of SARAH PALIN as VP along with our next President, JOHN MCCAIN!

afotia on August 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Maybe we ought to schedule more vp debates.

ninjapirate on August 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I think we ought to insist on more VP debates. That Biden performance was not good. Ouch!

sinsing on August 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Rush used to say Hillary reminded every man of his ex-wife.
Biden must remind every woman of her ex-husband.

Marcus on August 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Biden’s world has changed totally. And he doesn’t even realize it.

coldwarrior on August 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Don’t you just see Governor Tarquin on the bridge of the Death Star: “Evacuate? At our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!”

rockmom on August 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM

bwhahahaha!

lodge on August 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM

OMFG.

I also enjoyed:

This is my wife, Jill. Or actually I’m her husband.

Can we look forward to hearing this anytime soon?:

This is my son, Hunter. Or actually I’m his father. Oh wait! Jill’s his mother too. She’s my wife. Or Actually I’m her husband.

Buy Danish on August 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Rush used to say Hillary reminded every man of his ex-wife.
Biden must remind every woman of her ex-husband.
Marcus on August 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Hey…I’m an ex-husband (thank Dog), and I have a full head of hair! It’s turned a little gray though watching and hearing the “One” over the last year or so.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Awwww…I wanted to see Joe kiss Michelle full on the mouth again. Maybe he got her memo.

Comes across as such a blowhard. But I know the Dems are just as excited about their Veep as we are about ours.

hoosiermama on August 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM

OOPS, make that, “Jill’s his stepmother too…”

Buy Danish on August 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Is he drunk?

Yeah, he sounds loaded. Joe, lay off the scotch before speaking in public. Check that, where do I send the Dewars?

Wyznowski on August 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

hoosiermama on August 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I got that on video here.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on August 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

drunk

coondawg on August 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I see a problem. I bet that Biden will drop out due to “health problems” and Hillary will be forced, for the good of the party, to step in to fill the void. If he will throw his mother, preacher, etc under the bus Biden would be a piece of cake.

Engrpat on August 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I think he is DRUNK. What an idiot. Palin is going to eat this chump up.

American on August 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

With apologies to Ann and Nancy Wilson:

He’s gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn to the wick…
She’ll destroy him…Sarah’cuda.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Awesome! A VP candidate who inspires me to air guitar!

McCain/Palin!

Nosferightu on August 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I couldn’t help noticing how awkward the Obama’s looked. I have psychic ability and i could tell that they were both regretting that decision…’Hey Joe, where you goin’ with that bad story in your addled brain?’

Christine on August 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM

The Biden slurring drunkiness may have mostly been a bad PA system and a loud crowd? It’s difficult to speak if you can’t hear yourself.

ParisParamus on August 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

It’s difficult to speak if you can’t hear believe yourself.

ParisParamus on August 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Fixed it for you.

coldwarrior on August 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM

No really, anyone could tell from their body language that the truth was crashing down around them. It couldn’t happen to a more deserving couple, running for the next co-Presidency.

Christine on August 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Biden Sees Unborn People:

Obama champions the demise of unwanted/unborn people.

moonlighter on August 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

ParisParamus on August 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

yeah

I can see that…and that’s why he was staggering at 2:10 or so in the clip…because your motor functions suffer when you can’t hear yourself as well.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

how embarrassing

DarkeningCloud on August 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Biden, you keep right on speaking into that microphone.

Just like we want.

My kitty says:

Tee hee. Should we thank him now or wait for November 5th?

Et tu Brute on August 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Is he on drugs?

Borislav on August 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Did I buy a carpet from this guy? Man he looks familiar.

Chuck Schick on August 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I see Joe has temporarily changed his IQ to appeal more to us Western Pennsylvanian God-n-gun-clingers out here.

Does he know he’s 5 hours or so away from Scranton, and that no one really cares if he spent his early elementary school years there half a century ago? He’s really milking it.

I have liberal friends from college who were there in Beaver last night… I’m going to ask what they thought about this stellar performance.

bcm4134 on August 30, 2008 at 12:24 PM

JetBoy on August 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM

He does actually sound like he’s had a few. Slurred speech, awkward interaction with Obama’s wife.
The “Scranton” thing is WAY too obvious too. Talk about desperation.

edgehead on August 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

So he`s their Dan Quayle. George.H.W. Bush still won in `88. Maybe that means Obama will be a one-termer.

ThePrez on August 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Heh! Watching and listening to Biden, I can remember my first beer.

Kini on August 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Oh, my goodness. I have been crediting Biden with being a formidable speaker and debater. Razor sharp.

He sounds like a total buffoon. He’s horrible. This is going to be easier than I thought.

Jaibones on August 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

If McCain made comments about loving Palin the nutroots would have a fit!

ctmom on August 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I sure a’ hell knew it wadn’t gonna be me

And Sarah gets criticized for “ya” ?!?

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Biden’s a loon (in addition to being a pompous ass). This is the same guy who was forced out of the presidential campaign a few years back after he gave a speech in which he co-opted another politician’s (Neil Kinnock’s) life story and tried to pass it off as his own.

I’d rather have Sarah Palin “a heartbeat away” from the presidency than this nutcase.

AZCoyote on August 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Joe will be shipped off to rehab shortly, and after a teary-eyed show of concern for the Biden family, Hillary will be baaaaack.

Buy Danish on August 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Biden’s going to push away the Hilbots with all his chauvinistic comments to the little women.

ctmom on August 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

After being accustomed to acting defensive about anything “Republican” lately, what a rush to be on the other side! How can you really defend this kind of Biden beauty? And when you know there’s so much more to come, it must be uncomfortable for a Democrat to watch Biden speak. I’m just so happy that I am no longer simply tolerating this election, but rather am actually excited about it.

Moxie on August 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM

What is it with these two and what happened in the first decade of their lives – Scranton, Indonesia? So what? They weren’t even old enough to cross the street during most of the time.

Wethal on August 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Well, on the bright side, SNL can always pick up Biden if they want to ressurect Bill Murray’s lounge singer Nick Winters. This just might be his audition tape.

coldwarrior on August 30, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I was waiting for him to start an air-guitar routine and sing “Smooooooke on the waaaaater…du du duuuu du deh deh duuuuuu…”

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Now, THIS is Biden after a few… nice comparison ??

pambi on August 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

The best part, of course, is knowing that Obama is dying a thousand deaths watching this spectacle.

As Geraghty has suggested: Paging Hillary Clinton; Ms. Clinton, please.

JudetheFossil on August 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Wethal on August 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM

evidently to liberals the 4th and 5th grade form the entire basis of their integrity, judgement, and economic beliefs…..

I can kind of buy into that too….clean your room once a week get 25 bucks fits their understanding of the economy and how wealth is generated.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I vote drunk.

Depressed, stinkin’ drunk.

“How many more days of this crapola?” depressed.

And “Sarah’s gonna eat my lunch” depressed.

And “What am I doin’ here next to this empty suit?” depressed.

And “I shoulda been the contenda” depressed.

And “‘Beaver’?? You did say ‘Beaver’, didn’t you? Oh, geeeezuz.” depressed.

REALLY depressed.

And REALLY drunk.

fred5678 on August 30, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Math quiz.
20 months as GOV. vs 150 day of hanging out in the Senate equals about 400 more days expierence than the kid. Biden is both mentally challenged (are there any famous Biden bills?) but also has verbal blockage when it come to logic,what in the hell are the dems gonna do when this boy is out on the trail alone.
The Wolves will eat him alive,then The Lady will clean his clock.
Rock On,Rock On

Col.John Wm. Reed on August 30, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Could this be manna from heaven?

“Biden The Boozer”?

BobMbx on August 30, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Dems might give a second look to John Edwards!

jeff_from_mpls on August 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Well, to be fair, at least he’s modest enough to tell it like it is, hehe. Biden seems like the Epic Mediocre Man.

Seixon on August 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks he seems drunk. Ouch!

ptg on August 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Maybe they drilled a bit too deep for those hair plugs.

Dave from Flint on August 30, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I’m cringing. I couldn’t watch it without covering my eyes.

Hillary must have spiked his morning OJ..

warden on August 30, 2008 at 12:43 PM

“So I looked around and I saw I wasn’t going anywhere with those Caseys around, so I said ‘screw this’ and took my ass to Delaware where I figured I could get elected to the senate for 36 years …”

“… and that’s why I’m a proud Pennsylvanian. Vote for me!!!!”

—-

Yeah, Biden THAT’S the ticket.

PackerBronco on August 30, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Forget about the years thing, that’s just painful to watch in its own right.

Nessuno on August 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

“this is my wife Jill,” Who is really hot

…………………………………………….

He looks like the drunk guest at a wedding reception rambling on with his toast..

DaveC on August 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM

“Bob Casey was twelve years older than me”

Biden was born in 1942.
Bob Casey, Sr. was born in 1932.
So Casey, Sr. was 10 years older than Biden, not 12.
—–
“Bobby Casey was twelve years younger than me”
Bobby Casey, Jr., the current Senator, was born in 1960, so that makes Bobby Casey, Jr. 18 years younger than Biden, not 12.

albill on August 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Palin was picked because she will be a frightening obstacle course for Senator Bluster from Delaware.

Potfry on August 30, 2008 at 12:59 PM

He sounded drunk…

jbh45 on August 30, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Yeah Joe, you’re a proud Pennsylvanian……what are you going to tell those folks when you have to go back to Delaware? You know, the one’s who voted you into the US Senate.

GarandFan on August 30, 2008 at 1:07 PM

He sounded drunk…

I think the aura around the messiah was affecting the audio.

Zorro on August 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Can I get me a hunnin license har …

tarpon on August 30, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Engrpat on August 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Don’t think so. Her Majesty is gonna let Obama own his choice of Biden, and drive that machine right off the cliff, while she smiles. No way she’s going up against a ticket with Palin on it now.

a capella on August 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

This is beyond pathetic. Sen. Biden had had DECADES to get used to public speaking and learn how to be gracious in social settings. As someone born, bred, and raised in Pennsylvania I can definitively state that we Pennsylvanians are not taking the rap for producing this politician.

Jill1066 on August 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

He’s smooth, polished, sophisticated, urbane. A real crowd pleaser and an electrifying dynamo who…just a minute, there’s the doorbell…

whitetop on August 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Prediction:
If Obamas poll numbers drop drastically over the next month, Joe Biden will come down with some mysterious illness and have to be replaced as the VP choice.

kingrhino on August 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM

How can Biden see unborn people when he’s of the opinion that they don’t exist until birth?

Eating his cake and having it too?

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Apparently it is 5 o’clock in Penn…………………………………………………………………………………

1sttofight on August 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM

“I am so screwed.”
Barack Obama

whitetop on August 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Biden just can’t help but exaggerate and lie on the campaign trail.

Plantation politics as afforded us by the retiring, foreman Uncle Joe.

Speakup on August 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Prediction:

kingrhino on August 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I forget. Did Hillary ever actually release her delegates? Even if she did, given the donks’ hokey superdelegate system, what if Obama is also on “double secret probation” through September 30, and we just don’t know about it.

Think about it: It’s the 30th anniversary of the release of Animal House. Who will play Dean Wormer? Jimmy Carter or Walter Mondale?

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM

This is silly. The quote doesn’t say anything about “seeing” anyone.

DaveS on August 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM

You know.. everyone is always on Bush about how he pronounced “Nuclear”.

But what is Ameri-”Cur”, because that is what I hear when Biden say “Steel Workers of…”

He didn’t do so well in Utah, for that group, by the way.

Noelie on August 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

BuckeyeSam

LOL…..”double secret probation” I love it!

kingrhino on August 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM

kingrhino on August 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM

I pick Bob Beckel for Belushi’s role because I want to see him with pencils in his nostrils.

Olberman, of course, is Niedermeyer.

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I’m still stunned they picked Biden. How stupid can you get?

Dr. Manhattan on August 30, 2008 at 2:22 PM

The media has to actually report stuff like this for it to have an impact. But just wait until Sarah says one thing wrong on the trail, and they’ll break into to their regularly scheduled programming to report it.

Dudley Smith on August 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

I wrote this in another thread here a week ago, but R.B. Cramer’s book “What it Takes” (1992) went very far in depth on the 1988 prez race, which Biden was a part of. I mean, Cramer did exhaustive interviews and research of everything, and sifted, and condensed, and considered. Here’s a review of Cramer’s conclusion on Biden:

“Biden on the other hand turns out to be a non-starter, thanks to his unfortunate tendency to exaggerate, though Cramer clearly enjoyed his young-man-on-the-make antics.”
(review by brothersjudd.com 2000)

Why should we think Biden has changed from 1988. He’s a Senator (D-DE), for 35 years now. Not like an old dog learned any new tricks recently. Good gosh, who holds any job for 35 years anymore.

Paul-Cincy on August 30, 2008 at 2:41 PM

For me the bottom line is I admire Sarah Palin. Can’t say that about Obama or Biden.

Paul-Cincy on August 30, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Hmmm…

Biden moved from Scranton to Delaware with his parents when he was 10 years old- 55 years ago.

The seem to love talking about that.

So, how come we can’t talk about the domestic terrorist who blew up federal buildings and killed his friends before going underground 38 years ago, said that his organization didn’t do enough after 9/11 and was on a board and held Obama fundraisers a few years ago.

Biden hasn’t seen Scranton PA in 55 years and stated representing Delaware to in the Senate 19 years after he moved in. Now, all of a sudden he’s the scrappy kid from Scranton?

He sounds more like the belligerent drunk who came the carpet bagging with the guy dislikes those bitter people who cling to bibles and guns.

Damiano on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM