Video: Biden sees unborn people

posted at 11:49 am on August 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

If people worry how Sarah Palin will stack up against Joe Biden as a campaigner, perhaps this video clip of Biden introducing Barack Obama yesterday in Pennsylvania might help answer it.  Biden struggles to articulate his words, offers a weird version of his childhood move out of Scranton, and in general comes across a little buffoonish:

Bob Casey was twelve years older than me, and Bobby Casey was twelve years younger than me. And I knew somebody famous was going to come out of Scranton, and I sure a’ hell knew it wadn’t gonna be me.

Even under normal circumstances, Biden isn’t one of the party’s best campaigners. He manages to put his foot in his mouth too often, and usually sounds like a blowhard. Here, he’s either too tired to be on the stage or tryin’ too hard to soun’ like a reg’l'r guy. If he’s aiming for authenticity, he missed by a mile.

And what about this odd story about moving from Scranton? Biden left Scranton when he was 10 years old. Perhaps he is clairvoyant and foresaw “Bobby” Casey at the age of -2. I’d love to hear him make that argument. Maybe if that were the case, he could also explain why it’s okay to abort babies, when at the age of -2, Biden can see them destined for greatness.

It’s also worth noting that this particular myth gives the impression that Biden retreats when the going gets tough. Great story, Joe!

Biden just can’t help but exaggerate and lie on the campaign trail. The only surprise is that it took seven whole days before it happened as Obama’s running mate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Biden = Tool

custer on August 30, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Is he drunk?

chip91 on August 30, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I swear I could hear Barry thinking, “I’ve made a terrible mistake.”

Mallard T. Drake on August 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Gov. Sarah Palin (soon to be VPOTUS) is knowen to hunt, kill, gut and eat her prey -GO Sarah!!!

boom007 on August 30, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I think the problem isn’t the plugs, its simply that he is a chronic liar and plagiarist.

Cardiganfox on August 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM

I concur, but what causes that? Dropped on his head as a child?

DannoJyd on August 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM

He’s gotta be drunk. Gotta be. That isn’t someone trying to pretend they’re someone they’re not- that’s someone slurring.

Drunken, slurring, candidate of change.

First major political test:

McMaverick = 1
Obama = Bupkiss.

ChipDWood on August 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Joe fabricates and exagerates. Can the tag “liar” please be reserved for those with evil intent? Joe can be tagged in many ways; buffoon, ethically challenged, vain come to mind. But he seems real and (foolishly) well intentioned. Barry, on the other hand, lies like a dog.

exdeadhead on August 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Biden sees unborn people

I’m sure somebody already pointed this out, but BO said he saw dead soldiers in a crowd once.

jgapinoy on August 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM

That was truly embarrassing.

diogenes on August 30, 2008 at 4:03 PM

I noticed he sounded like he was slurring his speech the other night at the convention too. During his acceptance speech.

Jim C

JimC99 on August 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM

That was truly embarrassing.

No, that was truly Biden. “Biden” is essentially a synonym for “embarrassing”, as the One is just finding out to his great chagrin.

Meanwhile, the Mav’s grinning ear-to-ear as it becomes apparent that his new wingman “Saracuda” is a sharpshooter.

The first time she gets into a dogfight with Biden, Uncle Joe is going down in flames.

drunyan8315 on August 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Oh yeah. We better hope he was drunk- I’d hate to think that was the best he could do sober! Of all the Dem choices for VP that Obama had, he picked the oiliest one of all.

Somebody needs to post that clip next to one of an average drunk uncle giving a toast at a wedding reception- did you catch Obama leaning into the stair rail like he knew he was in for another long embarassing intro by Uncle Joe?!

anniekc on August 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Has anyone noticed how much Jeff Dunham’s “Walter” looks a lot like an older Biden?

Biden Photo.

Walter Photo

Sadly for Obama, Walter has more intelligence in his wooden head than Biden his whole body.

GT on August 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Whoa, I never knew Joe Biden was from Scranton, Pennsylvania? Cool.
/(is this needed?)

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

All’s we cans say is……Sarah’cuda!

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I’m going to have to agree with the others that he seems drunk. As others noted, there’s trying to be a “regular guy” and then there’s slurring.

Oh, and as for this:

Does this remind anyone of anything? Remember Obama’s speech in Selma, that was essentially campaign kickoff time? (Yeah, the time he and Hillary developed southern accents for the day).

But do you all remember what Obama said?

There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born. So don’t tell me I don’t have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don’t tell me I’m not coming home to Selma, Alabama.

Only, as we know, Obama was 4 years old when the marches took place.

Young Gaffer, meet your running-mate, Old Gaffer.

RightWinged on August 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Oh wow, I just watched it. Barack must be very, very depressed now since Palin is such a great pick and he decided on this tool.
But hey, his ego kept him from picking a good one so tough!

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM

was biden drunk?

allrsn on August 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM

You GOTS t’be shottin’ !!!

Vice-President ??!!??

Really ??!!??

Wadda’ disgusting disgrace

Hell, I seen hobos with more class

franksalterego on August 30, 2008 at 6:01 PM

blowhard, babbling, buffoon barack america

wepeople on August 30, 2008 at 6:56 PM

He sounds drunk to me.

Beo on August 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Just think,

Ol’ Barry COULD’VE selected Clinton………..

But, noooOOOOoooo…He picked a FALLING DOWN DRUNK !

Brilliant

Is he lookin’ The Fool, or what?

franksalterego on August 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Isn’t it interesting how Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) has evolved so quickly into Joe Biden (D-PA)? From his first utterings since being nominated as Barack Obama’s running mate, Biden has seemingly forgotten that he represents the state of Delaware.

These days, it’s Keystone Joe, the kid from Scranton, PA. (“Scranton never leaves you”, says Joe) Where did Obama and Biden head once the festivities in Denver had concluded? Pittsburgh, that’s where. Why? To reinforce his Pennsylvania origins, that’s why.

In truth, Biden spent the first ten years of his life in Scranton before his family moved to Delaware, that tiny insignificant state with only a fingerfull of electoral votes.

But Pennsylvania-that’s different story. Pennsylvania is a delegate-rich state that is considered a crucial battleground state in November. Thus, Biden is once again a bonafide Pennsylvanian, tried and true, red, white and blue.

So once again, Joe Biden, the big-mouth, the plagiarizer, is giving everyone the big stroke-job in trying to convince the swing-voters of a major state that he is “one of them”, a favorite son, if you will. Watch for the mainstream media to go to Scranton to dig up people who went to kindergarten with Joe or bounced him on their laps.

So, in the words of the Obama camp, is this politics as usual, change, or just more of the same?

gary fouse
fousesquawk

gary fouse on August 30, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Not drunk, except maybe with the thought of holding a microphone in his hand and campaigning as a veep nominee.
Joe was just being Joe-he’s always been about 27% goofy.
I’m very much looking forward to the veep debates with palindrome, I mean: Palin vs. Drone. Maybe he’ll whip out one of his ‘six chapter with footnotes’ questions such as he used to interrogate President Bush’s Supreme Court nominees. That’s it, Joe: blind her with science.
Slightly on topic: If Hillary had won, does anyone here think that she would have seriously considered Biden for veep?

Doug on August 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

My 72 year old dad lives near Scranton, PA and he will NOT vote Obama/Biden. He’s a moderate Republican, Catholic, very pro-life, and he told me months ago “Besides that Obama is so liberal, you know why I’d never vote for Obama? The college kids love him, and what do they know?” I had to agree.

Geesh, take away the teleprompters and these two politicians aren’t quite so articulate, are they? Palin gave her speech with no teleprompter and I think no written script. Both she and McCain are very good extemporaneous speakers.

Bring on the debates.

Amy Proctor on August 30, 2008 at 8:15 PM

“Can the tag “liar” please be reserved for those with evil intent?”

davod on August 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I don’t like people who curse in public. A politician should know better, no matter how much he is trying to relate to the common folk. Biden shows how pedestrian he really is.

Mr_Magoo on August 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Oh please, please, please-somebody send him a case of Dewars before the debates.

BitterClinger on August 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

He sounds drunk to me.

Beo on August 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM

He is.

On fame.

A bigger Attention Whore I have never seen, I think.

SlimyBill on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

All’s we cans say is……Sarah’cuda!

Stealin’ this one! Where’s my bumber sticker??

Let’s Roll!

McCain/Palin ’08 !!

ex-Democrat on August 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Perhaps he is clairvoyant and foresaw “Bobby” Casey at the age of -2.

I think its only fair since Obama see’s 57 states

Mojack420 on August 30, 2008 at 11:31 PM

OK,he does seem like he’s had a few.

Mig on August 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Maybe this is the first step in his plan to claim that he has a neurological disorder and has to step aside and let Hillary take over?

pappy on August 31, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Sounds like O! fantasizing about his parents meeting at the march in Selma…

They’re a match made in heaven

RocketmanBob on August 31, 2008 at 12:39 AM

“Hello, folks!”….errrrr…you can’t fake charm, douche bag.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2008 at 1:10 AM

My husband and I both think he sounds drunk too…

CCRWM on August 31, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Biden sounds wasted. I half expected him to throw a big side-hug around Obama, start patting him on his chest and telling everyone “I love thish guy. Lemmee tellya how mush I love thish guy…”

29Victor on August 31, 2008 at 4:38 AM

Did I read something about him having a brain operation one time. OK. Yes, in 1988 he was operated on for two brain aneurisms. HMMMMM. Maybe they ought to get him checked out. HMMMM. Maybe we could you know write to BO and convince him Nancy Pelosi would be just the ticket. HMMMM. NO,NO,NO,NO,NO. CRAP, how do I get to sleep now?

bigmike on August 31, 2008 at 6:35 AM

Pander to the bitter clingers, Barack!

Black Adam on August 31, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Order of importance??? Michelle Obama.

You got that right. She’ll rip your typical white head off your typical white body.

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Aiming for the redneck vote, boys? This is how the dimwit Dems (redundancy) try to appeal to middle-class/working class America?

Is that why the warmup act to this vacuousness was a free concert for Joe Grusheky and the House Rockers? (Apologies to the band if they are Country First Republicans.)

onlineanalyst on August 31, 2008 at 10:23 AM

What is a fabrication but a fifty dollar word for a lie, exdeadhead? To spout a falsehood with intentionality is a lie.

onlineanalyst on August 31, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Does anyone remember the Robert Bork confirmation hearings? It was Judge Bork armed with a thin copy of the US Constitution against Senator Joe Biden armed with a table overflowing with tabbed law books. Judge Bork made Biden look like a fool. After seeing Gov. Palin speak, I think the Dems should find a way to cancel the VP debate. Just a thought.

Claimsratt on August 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM

DRUG TEST

iam7545 on August 31, 2008 at 7:54 PM

OMG, I also was thinking…Is he drunk?

McCain/Palin 08

Robyn S on August 31, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Robyn S: “OMG, I also was thinking…Is he drunk?”

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

McCain/Palin 08

Dasher on August 31, 2008 at 11:31 PM

So the people of Delaware had absolutely nothing to do with his becoming a senator? It was all because of the United Steel Workers? Jimmmy Carter must’ve oversaw the election.

srhoades on September 1, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Is the croud mike in the wrong place? It sounds like there are only about 25 people there.

“Hello Folks?” How about “thee a thee a thee a a thats all folks”

Who says Hello Folks? Duckin Frunk.

cobrakai99 on September 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM