Quotes of the day

posted at 10:25 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

“The great threat to the Obama-Biden ticket can be captured in one word: authenticity.”

“Liberals love Obama because he is a Numinous Negro. Conservatives love Palin because she has a Downs baby and an M-16.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Because I’d like to see McCain elected, genius.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 2:10 AM

I don’t see this as anything but a diversion.
She wins either way.
But maybe we should let them run with it.

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 2:29 AM

Oh sure, I play the sarcastic ‘genius’ card and take a nice cheap swipe atcha’ and you come back all reasonable and mature.

Way to make me feel like a jerk.

Come on, none of this rhetoric you’re all spewing really matters. It’s all about good camera angle and photogenic shots. Who do you want to see in the camera, Biden or Palin?

Admit it, she’s sharp as a whip crack and gives good camera, she’ll do just fine.

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 2:36 AM

I admit it.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 2:41 AM

Better keep your sense of humor. I lay odds there is a lot more to come.

Or, using a different approach, as Bette Davis said in All About Eve, “Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.”

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 2:28 AM

You got that right! I’ve wandered through some of the DU links and it is vicious. Until tonight, I didn’t even know there was a DU! Of course circular sources of information abound.

I cannot imagine why anyone would put themselves through this. It’s no wonder no one wants to run for office!

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:46 AM

LOL!
And, oh yeah, she’ll have a really good teleprompter assistant ;)

Anyone who can live in Alaska (dealing with the 9-1 m/f ratio), have 5 kids, stick to her guns (pun intended), and still manage to keep her sanity ~ how can anyone say she’s not fit to share a foxhole with McCain?

If the $#!7 really hits the fan, who would you want covering YOUR back? Team Nobama or Team McCain???

I rest my case.

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 2:49 AM

As I head off to “Dream” a little dream, I pray that the coming days bring mirrors into the lives of those that are deriding Sen. McCain’s venture into “identity politics” with his pick of Gov. Palin. All those soon to be cracked mirrors in the homes of the ‘tolerant and enlightened party’ are sure to bring 7 8 years of good luck for the Party of Abe and Teddy…

Gohawgs on August 31, 2008 at 2:51 AM

My Palin Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Very nice DT. Thanks for sharing.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Wow, I just surfed thru the DU posts. I thought HA posts were tuff…those liberals are HARSH! I’m so relieved to know that I’m surrounded by nice people who don’t spew vitriol and prefer to offer intelligent discourse on the topics of the day. That said…

Can someone here clarify the DU claims that Palin’s latest child is actually her daughter’s kid, and she’s just laying down cover fire for her? Teen-aged girls don’t give birth to Downs Syndrome kids, sorry. Women in their 40′s, on the other hand, are high risk for Down’s (wife and I have a surrogate carrying a child for us now so I’m WAY more intelligent about this than I ever thought I’d have to be!) so that’s where I’d put my money.

Anyone?

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 3:07 AM

I admit it.
cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 2:41 AM

I rest my case.

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 2:49 AM

I have a daughter and if Baracuda is anything like me, the payback will be sure.
They are doing this at the expense of Bristol.

Pathetic.

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 3:09 AM

Hangin, Mary Jo. I’ll share a foxhole with you or your daughter anytime against the dims. I come well armed :)

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Relax she’s got her daughter’s back….

Alaska’s a hard land with hard people….hospitality is a must but vengence is a lot like the wind up there…..best blown cold.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:17 AM

My Palin Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Very nice DT. Thanks for sharing.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Wow – I’m crying again. the link of patriotism between John McCain and Sarah Palin and the beauty of family and the future of life.
I never thought I’d vote for John McCain, but everytime I see him beaming after he introduces her in Dayton – I just like him.

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Anyone?

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 3:07 AM

you mean other than the obvious “grasping as straws” nature of it?

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 3:15 AM
Thanks

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 3:25 AM

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 3:07 AM

The rumors seem irrational to me and based entirely on speculation. But, how does one certify such a claim is false? Only the Palins can do that, and that might require statements from their medical doctors or even disclosure of medical records for mother, baby and daughter. Is that reasonable to require of them?

There is a lot of discussion about this topic in the Hot Air Headlines: DU moves Palin baby smear to the front page

As to being “surrounded by nice people who don’t spew vitriol and prefer to offer intelligent discourse on the topics of the day,” I am not certain I can certify that either. Sometimes the discussions here get so hot and furious that I have to leave.

I try to be reasonable and sometimes funny, but I know my posts sometimes confuse, irritate or enrage others.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 3:27 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 3:27 AM

The more they push these sleazy attacks, the better. The lefties are showing their true colors. That always hurts them. It’s General “Betray Us” all over again.

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Nevermind, just read the other thread and saw Palin’s ‘booty from behind the podium’ shot. It resembles our surrogate’s booty, and my wife’s (sympathy weight?!?DOH!) ….and I agree: the left’s attempt to start a really sick rumor will come back to haunt them.

I’m REALLY looking forward to the dims getting their just rewards for being so hypocritical, railing against the ‘good ol’ boys’ machine and not giving Palin a fair shake.

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 3:32 AM

All I can say about the Donk Underground is “Keep firing!” if their latest fever swamp whack-o-mole conspiracy theory is to try to convince the moderates and independents of this nation that Sarah Palin is part of a conspiracy that borrows heavily from the plot of Chinatown the joke is on them not us. It is easy to forget that the majority of Americans are not as wrapped up in politics as we are and definitely not as much as the fever swamp over there at DU. Sarah’ll be fine and if for some reason the American people get so lunatic as to demand HER pregnancy records but not ask hard questions of Barack “Hoover Cocaine Vaccuum Cleaner” O’bama on health issues have at it.

At a minimum her selection as veep will get the abject leftoid MSM bias out on the table for all to see.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:32 AM

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Bingo….

if your opfor gets so confused they start dropping their arty on their own position you don’t ask them to stop you beg them for more “steel on target”…..

McCain has them pegged this cycle and is way inside their OODA loop.

Attacking Palin in these ways is stupid and will not work.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:44 AM

Attacking Palin in these ways is stupid and will not work.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:44 AM

I hope you are right, but the proof will be in the pudding. And the ingredients are still being stirred, somewhat feverishly as well.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 3:49 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:44 AM

uh oh, u goin’ all milspec on us again tonight?

i spent 9 yrs in the Nav and never learned all that GI chatter.

what’s an OODA loop?

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:51 AM

OODA: Observe, Orient, Decide and Act.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Of course, of the components of OODA, I’m pretty good at the “and” part.

Well, not really.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 3:56 AM

oh… thanks.

i know i could have googled that, but i’m in bed with my laptop and it’s getting late… fading out…

and, my 4 yr old heard me watching futurama and just wandered in…

he likes that show too

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:57 AM

Alan Colmes (of H&C) has a short thread “wondering” if Palin going back to Alaska from Texas didn’t endanger the baby. Nice passive-aggressive move by the always brave Colmes. The best comments to the thread are the ones finding his concern for unborn babies somewhat – curious.

Way to go Alan!

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

As I mentioned in another thread, I think a lot of the smear will come through back channels from disgruntled Alaskans who came up against the ‘Cuda and see this as a chance to get back at her.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 4:02 AM

I’m out. See everyone tomorrow!

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 4:03 AM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

wow…

just, wow…

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:03 AM

uh oh, u goin’ all milspec on us again tonight?

i spent 9 yrs in the Nav and never learned all that GI chatter.

what’s an OODA loop?

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:51 AM

Glad you asked…..

Let me tell you why John is always two or three steps ahead of Barry even though he is facing a biased press……

The US Marines and US Army learned a better way to fight from a USAF fighter pilot named John Boyd….Boyd can be controversial as can his followers but in essence instead of focusing on how to apply more fire to problems Boyd gave a series of lectures called Patterns of conflict that attempted to break down the psychology of winning and losing.

Using his knowledge of fighter pilot response matrix mechanics he eventually came up with the OODA loop.(all of this is grossly simplified)

1) Observe your enemy identify the problem
2) orient your tools and thoughts towards the solution needed for nuetralization of the problem
3) decide whether to engage in the solution response you have laid out
4) act engage in the use of your gambit

It works like a charm it is not simply “doing things faster” it is gathering all the data you can that is quickly usable and ruthlessly applying it and the response matrix to the issues at hand.

McCain or Schmidt may or may not know of this concept but I think he is applying it from his experience at flying anyway. In essence a shorthand version is that once you start cycling your OODA loop effectively you reach the point where you control the OPFOR’s data flow and defacto control his perceptions of the battle. Once you reach this point you are controlling your opfor’s reality.

Study your opponent enough and have a good mapping of his response matrix and judgement you are controlling his force.

I posit that Barack did not pick Biden McCain did.

Barack did not choose the tone of the O-pollo Sermon from the O-cropolis McCain did….and if you think McCain doesn’t have the MSM and Barry’s response matrix pegged on Palin you may want to take a quick look at the retaction of the avenue of attack Team barry had to make on the experience front less than six hours after launching into her.

For the first time I have real faith in McCain he is suckering the donks into a metaphorical kill zone.

All the best,
sven

p.s http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/2006/08/ooda-loop.html

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:06 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:57 AM

Well, I thought I’d do what I could, just in case you were in bed . . . with your laptop . . . since it’s getting late . . . and you might be fading out . . . and you might have a 4 yr old . . . who might have overheard you watching futurama . . . and then wandered in.

Just a lucky guess!

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:06 AM

night magoo

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:07 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:06 AM

lol, i like how you post

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:09 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:09 AM

Thank you very much.

Now, if you could just explain what Sven’s post means, in very small words, like you use with your four year old, this old non-military man might have a clue as to what Sven is talking about.

But if you can’t, don’t worry. I’m used to being clueless.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:12 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:06 AM

thanks!

great info.

i’m going to bookmark that and talk to my Dad tomorrow about it.

after jumping out of helicopters in Korea (post war) he was a captain in charge of the MP’s at Checkpoint Charlie and loved that kind of s**t.

my brother and one sister were born in Berlin. it was only because my Mom didn’t think moving every 3 years was good for a family that I didn’t wind up spending my youth on military bases.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:13 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:12 AM

easy.

McC has BO out-matched, out-gunned and out-maneuvered.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:15 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:15 AM

I hope so, but I will have to see the outcome to be sure.

At this point, it seems much of the media are pouring enormous resources into the Obama campaign.

Also, Palin is being shot at from both left and right.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:19 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:12 AM

great ppt. i’m going to print it and mail it to my Father. He’ll really like that.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

But if you can’t, don’t worry. I’m used to being clueless.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:12 AM

Sorry Boyd is a passion of mine…Stormin’ Norman’s staff were followers of Boyd’s theories.

What it means is……

Example-

I am standing on a field at Goodfellow Air Force base in Texas, talking and joking with fellow soldiers. We are assembling to exercise together.

Observation- I hear footsteps running toward me rapidly from behind.

Orientation Process- I turn, see someone running straight at me, closing in quickly – My orientation process somehow deduces that she is going to try to push me over with her outstretched arms and hands.

Decision- There was no time to think. Thus, there was NO CONSCIOUS DECISION. No time for verbal thought. I REACTED (reactions come from our history of all sorts of experiences, good, bad, or otherwise).

Action- I execute a judo move I had learned about 10 years earlier and had not practiced since.

The OODA loop process continues-

Observation- As a result of my action (the judo move), I saw my friend Cindy go sailing over me and land on her back a few feet away. She was ok, fortunately. So was I. We laughed a lot.

The above example illustrates that I still ‘knew’ the judo move I had learned 10 years earlier. My friend Cindy did not know I knew how to do that. Neither did I, for that matter. My OODA loop process simply selected a response from my history—My mind “made me” do something in reaction to my Obervations of Cindy running towards me to push me over.

Cindy tried to push me over as a joke. She was in the Action phase of her own OODA loop process when I Observed her running toward me. My quick and effective OODA loop’s reaction surprised her—Cindy’s OODA loop processes did not adapt in time. The judo worked. Her joke backfired on her.

Which is why you’ll see me say “Palin was an awesome Judo pick”…..
The choice of Palin not only was a unifying force for the base it has rendered the left so weak they have to attack her daughter because THEY KNOW THEY CANNOT ATTACK HER WITHOUT HITTING BARRY.

That was what was genius. McCain looked at their patterns of thought on the slate of VP picks and picked precisely the one that not only helped him but destroyed his foe’s entire plan of attack.

They *may* calm down and come up with more cogent attacks but I doubt it.

This is an example of why their incestuous relationship with the media helps them. They often confuse media response with Ameircan repsonse and in the end live in an echo chamber. They are probably deluded enough to think attacking her daughter is a good gambit.

“Keep firing” it is the incorrect action because they cannot properly observe their environment so they have a broken loop.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

woops… supposed to quote this:

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:06 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

This is an example of why their incestuous relationship with the media helps hurts them. They often confuse media response with Ameircan repsonse and in the end live in an echo chamber. They are probably deluded enough to think attacking her daughter is a good gambit.

fixed that…..

Bush outmanuevered the MSM and donks plenty until the American people finally bought into the noise machine the dynamic duo of Dan Rather’s ilk and the Pelosis took hold…..

I don’t think the venom is the right tool for Annie Oakley 2008

regards,
sven

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:22 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

i’m glad you are able to present the tactical reason for picking her in a way i could not.

those are the thoughts i was having as i let his choice sink in, but i didn’t have a logical framework like that to place it in.

i’ll leave that to the pro’s.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:24 AM

Also, Palin is being shot at from both left and right.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:19 AM

The right’s going to come around. She’s an unknown quantity at this point and I think there are some high-IQ people on the right who just haven’t learned enough about her, yet.

The recurring pattern in her career seems to be that the more one learns about her, the more one likes her. Unless you’re an alcoholic state trooper with abusive tendencies, a corrupt/establishment politician, or (apparently) a LLL-cesspool dweller.

All the right enemies, as far as I can tell.

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 4:28 AM

well, i’ve moved from fading to faded.

futurama is over.

adventures of buckaroo banzai is on now… hate to miss it. love that movie.

oh well, another time.

g’nite all

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:29 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:22 AM

That’s a bit of what worries me, though. If you repeat something often enough (“Bush lied!”) people start to believe it.

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 4:30 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

You sound like your as old and feeble as me and McCain, but maybe a little less cranky, deranged and senile. I hope the two of us can live at least until McCain takes the Oath of Office and simultaneously starts WWIII, after which he will immediately keel over and leave an unqualified country bumpkin beauty queen in charge of the country in the midst of war. (Did I cover all the bases there?)

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

You see? that is what I am getting at. To the extent that such talk permeates through the country through the media, how is that fought? I do not know.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:31 AM

That’s a bit of what worries me, though. If you repeat something often enough (”Bush lied!”) people start to believe it.

Purple Fury on August 31, 2008 at 4:30 AM

Bush lacks MCain’s vindictive streak….

notice I said you had to be ruthless….

a good fighter pilot would kick a dog if he thought it’d let him retire his opponent.

I think there is a psychological difference between interceptor pilots and tacair guys.

Anyway Palin has literally done nothing to warrant this level of venom from the left so it will blunt some of their theatrics in the short term.

I am pragmatic enough to know that what McCain’s pick did was stop O-pollo’s momentum and buy space….

changing the entire game is a 5-15 year endeavor.

I am gonna back Sarah Palin from here on out because she is a strong 44 year old who has the time to get there.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:33 AM

Liberals kicking Sarah Palin with this fury less than 2 full days in is going to turn off as many non moonbat women as it will ever convince probably at a ratio of 3 turned off for every 1 “convinced”….

she is too pretty, too earnest, and too polite to be villified this quickly with this intensity.

If Sarah performs and I think she will poeople will see that the left is projecting Bush’s image on this woman….and she is NO BUSH SHE JUST HAS ONE!

sorry to be crude but some feminists would like that line.

No I think the harder they hit her the prettier she looks to a lot of people.

Real men and women want to aid a person unfairly attacked not harm.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:37 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:37 AM

Again, I think this is going to work and I hope it is going to work. I agree that good people want to aid a person being unfairly attacked.

However, my fear is that too many people are too superficial or selfish.

So, those that can help the campaign will. Old geezers like me will read and post on the internet when I can.

And please remember, Sven, if you are promoting traditional values, conservative values, then you simply must avoid crude language around women, children and old fashioned, old geezers like me.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:48 AM

I find it refreshing that McCain pick Palin instead of one of the good old boys. From what has been reported, she seems to have what the party needs. But if she has been picked as window dressing as has been suggested, I believe she has enough integrity or at least I hope she does, to throw him under the bus after she gets the conformation. She just does not seem like the type of person whom would stand for just being windo dressing even if it ment she were being groomed for the first slot in the future. In the short time she has been in the public eye, I feel she could do it on her own. I like McCain, but I still don’t trust him. That being said, I will still accept him over anything the dems throw at us.

N4646W on August 31, 2008 at 4:52 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:48 AM

I’ll try….

you can take the lad out of the gutter but once there the gutter can be hard to remove from the lad.

In all seriousness though the Bush projection IS what is going on and it is obvious.

They are where a lot of us on the right, myself included were on Clinton post impeachment. So enraged at the moral failings of the guy that we took for granted kicking him was always the right thing to do. Well his buddies in the MSM eventually used that against us via “Judo”.

We lack the MSM in our corner but neither did we even attack with this much fury this quickly.

I believe in America and the American people, I think underneath the superficiality is a good nation waiting to be reborn.

The DNC “twenty minutes of hate” will lose steam at some point.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:53 AM

N4646W on August 31, 2008 at 4:52 AM

Agreed.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 4:54 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:53 AM

On the one hand, I like the notion of a good nation waiting to be reborn. On the other, it is too passive. It’s going to take work. Yet, I don’t know how to get there from here. And I am uncertain as to what “there” is going to be.

However, as I posted previously today, elsewhere, I believe Obama/Biden represent a Bridge to Nowhere. I do not see a better world, but a more dangerous and less free world.

So, I do what I can to move it in a different direction.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 5:06 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:53 AM

And as for the boy and the guitar . . .

Reason, logic, the best available evidence, patience and tolerance are invaluable. Innuendo is also a wonderful device. I find it so much more effective than using certain w#%ds that everyone can figure out even with certain letters blocked out, OR ALL CAPS, or other forms of angry language.

And a little humor helps as well.

And I hope that my posts are not boring, confusing or irritating to you.

So with this, I am about to go to sleep for an hour or two.

Please take good care of yourself and perhaps we will exchange posts again.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 5:21 AM

The Corner posters live in the Beltway/East coast cocoon. They are intelligent, good people, but they (like all of us) have their biases. In this case, they’ve shown repeated subtle disdain for regular Joe and Jane Americans who are not Ivy League educated. They were absolutely baffled by Huckabee’s appeal (and please God, spare us the “Me too I hate Huckabee heheh hehe heh” comments) and were so far up Romney’s backside that they had taken residence there (next to Hugh Hewitt).

To their credit, though, the majority of them are happy about Palin, there’s just a few crybabies who go to sleep at night staring at their autographed Mitt Romney posters, wondering what could have been …

zmrzlina on August 31, 2008 at 5:48 AM

I just got off work and I’m far to tired to read or write well, but I need to respond to the 2nd quote.

I pretty sure she was lent the M16 (or M4) probably in Iraq.

This jacka$$ is to moronic to know that an M16 is too small to be worth a damn in Alaska. (.44 Magnum is considered the bare minimum for bear.)

mad saint jack on August 31, 2008 at 5:52 AM

Palin is the Left’s worst nightmare in so many ways, it brings a blush to my cheeks. What I think we are going to see, and many even on the Right are going to be so pleasantly surprised about, is that she is indeed Commander In Chief material, big time. I think she’s going to make both Obama and Biden look like prissy wussies. Bring it on, please.

Halley on August 31, 2008 at 5:52 AM

My Palin Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Very well done DT, send it to the RNC for use as her intro before her acceptance speech.

Zorro on August 31, 2008 at 6:24 AM

I suggest another “Quote of the Day” from MoDowd. In describing a possible conversation of Palin with Putin, she tells Putin to “back off commie dude, I’m a better shot than Cheney”.

Gator2992 on August 31, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Zorro on August 31, 2008 at 6:24 AM

LOL! Thanks.

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 6:37 AM

(…just HAD to “share”…)

from “RE” over at PJM

Sarah Palin hunts moose. Obama bowls 37’s.

Lockstein13 on August 31, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Newt gets it right, the NRO Corner not at all. Their perspective is exactly the elitist inside-the-Beltway mentality that Newt’s talking about.

McCain-Palin ’08
Palin-Jindal ’12

The beat goes on…….

J.J. Sefton on August 31, 2008 at 8:17 AM

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 3:23 AM

That’s where I am, MJ. Gov Palin was on Glenn Beck’s CNN show about three weeks ago, and I thought, if only McCain would pick her, he’d pretty much have my vote. Well, he did and he pretty much has me in in corner especially when I consider the alternative: President Obama.

abcurtis on August 31, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 3:27 AM

I dont think it is reasonable at all to require Palin and her family to “prove” her innocence. The liberals have made the accusation – the burden of proof is on them.

abcurtis on August 31, 2008 at 8:23 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008

Sven, you are assuming things that may not be true. Current styles being what they are…

SKYFOX on August 31, 2008 at 8:25 AM

It’s time the good old U.S. had its own Maggie Thatcher. And Palin is it.

POW/WOW ’08!

I love writing that.

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2008 at 8:34 AM

SKYFOX, how do you know she has one?

Anyway, All people have to do is look at women like Palin, and Pelosi. I mean, seriously, who portrays a more competent view of the world and a grasp on reality?

At least Palin appears as though she’s OK with getting older. Pelosi’s face looks like a pincushion for botox needles.

Palin also appears more articulate in her speeches and competent to hold high office vs Pelosi, and Pelosi is supposedly some sort of know-it-all, according to her colleges. mmhm.

tx2654 on August 31, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Woops! Bush comment meant for sven10077

tx2654 on August 31, 2008 at 8:35 AM

FYI, FABULOUS headlines and photos today in the liberal Philadelphia Inquirer of the McCain-Palin rally yesterday in western PA. This paper covered the Obama speech like it was the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. But today the huge headline says “Pa. Greets GOP Ticket: Fight status quo, the VP choice urges” with a wonderful photo of Palin pumping her fist. I could not be happier. And it relegated Chris Satullo’s predictably snarky column (“Hard to figure whom Palin will attract”) to page 17.

I’m telling ya, Palin is going to be GOLD with all the soccer and hockey moms in the Philly suburbs. I can’t wait to campaign for this ticket now. I’ve already had one neighbor call me and ask how she can volunteer. She said “Sarah Palin is what I want my daughter to be when she grows up.” My own daughter is named Sarah and she is so excited that we may actually have a VP named Sarah!

It’s all good here in southeastern PA.

rockmom on August 31, 2008 at 8:36 AM

abcurtis on August 31, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Agreed, except for one thing: I don’t think they need proof. Rumor and innuendo are fine with them. Remember? It’s the “seriousness of the charges,” not whether there is any evidence that can be proven.

Of course, there may be some people, and hopefully many millions, who find the mudslinging at Governor Palin and her family to be so repulsive that they become energized to speak up for her, and vote for her.

From the opening salvos, it appears this is going to be a very dirty campaign. I just hope that the Palin’s children are not harmed in any way by all of this.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM

rockmom on August 31, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Rockmom: sorry to quote selectively, but this is the refrain I expected to hear. I have four wonderful nieces, ages 12 to 24. My sister and my sister-in-law are great moms, but Palin adds another hero to their lives.

I hope Obama and the left dump all over her humble beginnings. Obama, coming from Illinois (the Land of Lincoln) where I grew up, should know better about the exceptional abilities of some people coming from humble backgrounds.

Seriously, Palin is Obama’s worst nightmare. How do you dump on the sharp, all-American girl next door? Maybe he should remind us of his 20-year membership at Wright’s church, or his friendship with Ayers, or his friendship with Rezko….

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2008 at 9:10 AM

zmrzlina on August 31, 2008 at 5:48 AM

Well some of us said posters will wake up on 11/4 and do one of two things….write-in, or vote constitutionalist. As far as the crybaby line, if it makes you feel better, keep throwing insults. What’s the matter, did that tingling in your leg wear off? This second-coming-of-Reganamania will subside, it’s not like she’s the one that will be running the show. There are many of us who are ok with Palin’s bio, but not the least bit thrilled McCain. So, keep wrapping yourself in class envy and personal projection. Personally, I wrap myself in my I heart Mitt banner. Stay classy pseudo-conservatives. Remember, she may have a great bio, but to immediately project Reagan 80′ on her smacks of kool-aid fruitiness.

Cold Steel on August 31, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Criticism of Palin will continue. Two criticisms I like are “she thinks Hillary whined” and she asked “what is the job of the vice president?”
I like that she appears ready to live with criticism without complaining about the unfairness because she is a woman. I especially like that she questions the role of VP and hopefully cleared that with McCain before she signed on. VP can be merely a ceremonial function of representing the US at funerals and a tie breaker in the Senate. I have seen both the ceremonial and a true working relationship between the VP and the President. Role clarification is what Sarah appeared to be asking about. She is a doer and would not be happy being shut out of policy debate and decisions.
At the time Obama named Biden (who was very eager to accept the position) I thought to myself that even though Biden has more knowledge of international relations and policy decisions over the years, there is absolutely no guarantee that Obama will accept the direction/suggestions of Biden. Obama will occupy the top spot (if elected) and he will not have any constraints on setting all policies based on his judgment alone.
If McCain makes Palin a true working partner, she will quickly learn the foreign policy details she may currently lack. This will be a definite plus for our nation.

Pat in NC on August 31, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Of course “The Corner” is downplaying Palin. They drank the Romney Kool Aid over a year ago. They think that just because they have no probelm with Rich semi-liberal Mormons, nobody does.

Speedwagon82 on August 31, 2008 at 9:49 AM

In choosing Sarah Palin, McCain reached out to the future of the GOP. I was pulling for Palin, Jindal and Cantor in that order because I felt that the repubs were in need of some serious re-branding.

Obama picked Biden out of weakness. McCain picked Palin from a place of strength. I was so pleased to hear about it but at first I just kept shaking by head and saying “I didn’t think he had it in him.” He really did surprise me in the most delightful way.

I work in the MSM and I can tell you all the libs around me were absolutely bewildered. Their self centered reaction was ” I don’t know about her therefore she must be a nobody.” Typical.

muggedbyreality on August 31, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Speedwagon82 on August 31, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Stay classy speedo. No one likes a sore winner.

Cold Steel on August 31, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Did anyone else notice that the DU smear and the Alan Colmes smear cancel each other out? Alan claims that she may not have had proper prenatal care because her “water broke” when she was on a speaking assignment in Texas. Well, if you’re faking a pregnancy, you don’t have amniotic fluid to break. She did see a doctor there in Texas. He would have noticed if she wasn’t really pregnant!

And this is a typical bind the democrats are going to be in. They are between a rock and a hard place. In the debates, for instance, if the dem is too belligerent, he will seem like a bully and if he is soft, he will seem condescending.

It’s all good.

Heiress on August 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I am just speaking the truth. As much as NRO would like to deny it, Romney would have made the South competitive for Obama. I think these people are idiots, but they exist. Why do you think Huckabee beat him all over the South? Of course, being an ex-Governor of Massachusetts also had some impact.

Speedwagon82 on August 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Downtown–Love the video

Pat in NC on August 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Error 404 – Not found. Looks like Mr. Colmes may be trying to cover his tracks.

TooTall on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

No, thank you, I didn’t, but it only puts a finer edge on my comment, doesn’t it?

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM

A finer edge on your comment? Hardly. You’re just spinning an observation made by the founder of the modern American conservative movement, and the founder of its most influential conservative magazine, William F. Buckley Jr., for your own devices.

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Of course I am. I took exception to what was posted at NRO. That opinion flies in the face of what I believe in. I fully understand the magnitude of the contribution of Buckley and NR to the conservative movement; I subscribe to and voraciously read each issue of NR. What better way to refute something that NRO posts by using a paraphrase of its founder’s belief in the wisdom of being governed by the people?

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I’m having visions of Flip Wilson’s Geraldine saying, “What You See Is What You Get”.

KyserS on August 31, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Error 404 – Not found. Looks like Mr. Colmes may be trying to cover his tracks.

TooTall on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

That happened a couple times yesterday. I think his site is unprepared for the kind of traffic that comment generated.

It always came back up eventually yesterday .. but maybe he did hear the reaction and decided to pretend it never happened.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM

tx2654 on August 31, 2008

I was referring to something sven wrote and meant my comment only in reference to depilatory fashions of the day. I was wavering on voting for McCain – perhaps sitting this one out – until he chose Palin. I will be visiting Republican party HQ on Tuesday to request my McCain-Palin yard sign and bumper stickers. Clear enough?

SKYFOX on August 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

All the best,
sven

p.s http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/2006/08/ooda-loop.html

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:06 AM

I figure if they could fool us all that long they are one heck of a team.

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Error 404 – Not found. Looks like Mr. Colmes may be trying to cover his tracks.

TooTall on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Just checked it out. He took it down. Says it’s because of
conservative “epithet-hurling”.

After reading his “explanation”, I respect him even less .. and before he got on the slime bandwagon, I actually liked him on H&C .. disagreed with him a lot, but thought he displayed a little more class than his comrades.

In a way, I’m glad he revealed himself for what he really is. I won’t bother with him again.

Here’s part of his post:

It’s About Judgment, Stupid
August 31st, 2008, 1:43 PM EDT

The post about Sarah Palin’s pre-natal care was taken down because of the vile comments made by a pletehora of conservatives who decided to invade the site and show us just how decent and value-driven some of them are. Nothing like epithet-hurling if you want to make your point, or if you have strong objections to what someone says or does. Furthermore, I in no way mean to suggest that her child’s Down Syndrome was in any way related to decisions she made. In fact I never mentioned Down Syndrome in the post. However, I apologize that my post was not more clear on that point. That is my fault, and I’ll take responsibility for not being more clear on that point.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Vindication.

I don’t often disagree with Peter, but there is nothing elegant about Rick’s assertion that “Conservatives love Palin because she has a Downs baby and an M-16.” It’s offensive…

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I found the picture of Sarah’s character in Everquest 2:

If she plays Lord of the Rings Online, she gets an honorary Kinship Invite!

Sapwolf on August 31, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Zorro on August 31, 2008 at 6:24 AM

LOL! Thanks.

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 6:37 AM

stop laughing and send them the link
please

mary jo on September 1, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Bill Kristol nailed it!!!

McGovern is about to lose his place in the history books as the biggest loser of a national election ever….

landlines on September 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM