Quotes of the day

posted at 10:25 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

“The great threat to the Obama-Biden ticket can be captured in one word: authenticity.”

“Liberals love Obama because he is a Numinous Negro. Conservatives love Palin because she has a Downs baby and an M-16.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:04 AM

sort of like how the Soviets handled their power transfers.

classic

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Sonosam on August 31, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Sadly the last 36 hours shows they are not very smart. the attacks have been hard, deep and painful for many women to take. it has allowed the right to rally around the pick and it has made the independents think why are they attack her so hard

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM

You can have a career, a family, a great husband, a life outside your career. you do not have to sacrifice your ovaries on the alter of feminst teachings to get ahead in this “male dominated”
world. Just work hard.

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Agreed ,this is exactly what she personifies.

jerrytbg on August 31, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Seriously, please keep using those arguments. They’re winners.

Chortle!

You look up non sequitur in the dictionary and you see alphie’s picture, all right.

Does not follow

Bob's Kid on August 31, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I don’t know if Palin clinches the election or not, but I do that that no matter who McCain picked there would have been people saying it was bad, wrong, stupid, evil, screwed up or too maverickey. Whatever.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Yes, T, too true. If it had been a White Dude, you can write the headlines and create the ‘meme’ yourself

Palin has the MSM wanking ( pulling their puds ) and festering and squirming–and I like seeing them do all three

She’s REAL: the opposite of plagiarizer J. Robinette Biden; the opposite of community organizer Obama with his flatulent rhetoric; the opposite of Reid & Pelosi with their ideas the equivalent of genital warts

and she holds that weapon real nice…………

Janos Hunyadi on August 31, 2008 at 12:14 AM

closet full o’ skelatons (sic)

Like what?

The trooper she fired who illegally hunts, gets drunk on the job, and threatens to put bullets in peoples’ heads for helping their estranged wives?

Or would it be for improperly taking pre-natal care (when does life begin again?) of her latest baby causing it to be born with a disorder (even though this kid’s disorder cannot be medically caused by the mother’s pre-natal care .. unless she’s able to modify genes at will)?

Or maybe that baby was her daughter’s .. love that one.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:15 AM

here & now, in Close Proximity, Palin is also the opposite of ‘alphie’ ( the shriveled wrinkled crap-spouting hag )

Janos Hunyadi on August 31, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Is it just me, or is the strongest anti-Palin reaction within the Republican world coming from established people invested heavily in the status quo? I recognize that the foundation of conservatism is preserving what is good. But conservatism without judgement preserves the good and the bad indiscriminately. The status quo in the Republican party is unsustainable. Yet we see people like the Powerline writers, NRO and numerous “conservative” media personalities questioning this choice for reasons that sound reasonable, but have a hollow ring to them.

The only relevant experience for POTUS is VPOTUS or Executive experience. Equating legislative experience to POTUS is like equating real estate agent to house builder. Legislators learn to game the system and the name of the game is compromise and quid pro quo. Executives have no peers with whom they can negotiate their decisions and share responsibility for the outcome. Until you’ve faced the beast, one-on-one, you aren’t really a hunter.

Yes, I think Palin would make a better POTUS on day one than the guy at the top of the ticket.

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:17 AM

questions I want answered. how does BHO plan to balance his job requirements as president and still have time to raise his two daughters with a working wife. will his children be neglected? Does BHO believe we all came from apes? or maybe frogs?. Has he supported his friends on the way up even when they were convicted of high crimes? Besides the Eroupean rock tour as BHO gone anyway that mattered in the world (small Kenya villages and Indonesia muslim schools excepted of course). Where the hell is the 50 million per month coming from and don’t tell me its from $20.00 donations.

Is this guy a idiot or just in the tank possibly both

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Janos Hunyadi on August 31, 2008 at 12:17 AM

alphie has been around for quite a while and I don’t think its gender has yet been determined. But shriveled wrinkled crap-spouting hag is a good guess either way.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Gingrich has it right. I’m sick of the smarmy candidates both parties normally throw up.

Palin is a good counterpoint to Obama’s “clinging to guns and religion” attitude.

jaime on August 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM

I think the “point” of an oddball pick like [] Palin was to get America to forget yesterday was John F. McCain’s 72nd birthday.

In order to “forget” McCain’s birthday, that explains why Cindy McCain wrote invitations supplying note cards to regularly voting Republicans to RSVP our personal greetings to John for his birthday celebration.

Hey, McCain, HAPPY 72nd BIRTHDAY! AND MANY MORE!

If we’d known his pick was Palin, he’d have received our donation earlier. We’re glad to hear the good news; and the RNC is glad to get our financial support for choosing a CONSERVATIVE VP.

Check local county Republican websites online for bulletins and events.

Central Texas hosts GOP organizational meetings this week. Besides contributing some money, show up for a yard sign, rub elbows and help build momentum to defeat the Democrats this fall like Pelosi enabler Chet Edwards.

maverick muse on August 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Yes you are correct. Reminds me of Reagan and bush one fights in 1980.

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Mr. Brookhiser and NRO need to be taken down a peg and I’ll take the liberty of paraphrasing the late Mr. Buckley to do so:

“I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first nine thousand names in the Wasilla telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand graduates of the Harvard Law School.”

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 AM

The trooper she firedreported who illegally hunts, gets drunk on the job, tazes his stepson, and threatens to put bullets in peoples’ heads for helping their estranged wivesdaughter hire an attorney to get a divorce?

Fixed for accuracy and completeness.

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 AM

I can just see her sitting there, as President of the Senate, slamming the gavel down and saying:
Harry…sit down your time is up, do I have to send you to your room?”.

jerrytbg on August 31, 2008 at 12:23 AM

The dweebs at NR are really going off the deep end. Explain how a moron with psychotic tendencies like gore was more qualified to be vice president then Palin. I’m starting to think those guys don’t like girls.

peacenprosperity on August 31, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Sweet, I just counted 16 of the thumbnails used on the main page, featuring Palin.

RightWinged on August 31, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Gender: Unknown

Species: Homoliberalus Moronis (native to San Francisco and parts of France)

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:25 AM

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 AM

You beat me to it – and a great paraphrase I might add. It seems that some apples at NR have fallen a bit far from the tree.

sertillanges on August 31, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Jon Ross:

Assuming alphie has a gender.

Terrye on August 31, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:17 AM

It’s not just you. Palin attracts criticism from elitists of all brands and flavors.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Jon Ross:

Assuming alphie has a gender.

Terrye on August 31, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Very true

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Fixed for accuracy and completeness.

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Fixed in the interests of eradicating tripe.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 AM

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM

alphie = gollum (smeagol)
“Me hates neocons; yes, me hates them; smeagal hates all neocons…”

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 AM

They are afraid of losing influence. That was what Washington feeds on. Palin is not in the loop.

Terrye on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 AM

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 12:22 AM

You do know that Brookhiser was one of Buckley’s favorite writers, right?

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Fixed in the interests of eradicating tripe.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Fixed because my dumb ass didn’t properly read Immolate’s post.

Mea culpa.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 AM

I haven’t seen your name pop up for awhile.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 AM

sertillanges on August 31, 2008 at 12:26 AM

And then they talk about the “brand” of the reps being “out of favor” Maybe its because these pundits are clueless.

Populism is not bad if it does not take from the rich and give to the poor, hard work and fair play are good traits, the dream of little kids to be president must be cultivated so that the avg Americian does not tune out of politics. civic responsibility should be higher that a big payday for political favors. A havard education does not make you smart it makes you educated from Havard. the middle class built this country, not the poor and not the rich. the rich were at one time poor and middle class. We did not ever have nobility in this country since the revolution and we should not start the experiment at this late date.

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 AM

“still time for the Pubs to announce a credible VP pick…
Alphie on August at 11:55″

I would think even such a stupid troll as yourself would welcome a less than credible pick from the pubs!

Did the KosKids kick you out so you chose to infest HotAir?

dhunter on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Fixed in the interests of eradicating tripe.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Fixed because my dumb ass didn’t properly read Immolate’s post.

Mea culpa.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Knew I shoulda’ gone out tonight.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Terrye on August 31, 2008 at 12:29 AM

we have a winner!

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 12:33 AM

sertillanges on August 31, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Perhaps Bill and Ronnie were looking down and, in a mischievous moment, thought it would be fun to send Sarah our way, just to mix things up a bit. I mean really, how freaking improbable is it that we get attacked by a guy named Osama bin Laden, only to have a couple of liberals running for president named Obama and Biden, and we pin the hopes of our nation upon a beauty queen that likes moose stew that hails from Seward’s folly?

It’s either divine intervention or we’re totally screwed.

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Actually, I thought there were only a couple of disgruntled types at NRO. The Powerline guys, I figure it’s because they may be fans of Gov. Pawlenty.

Ivy League elites tend to look down on or underestimate people who go to schools like Idaho University or Eureka College.

CanadianGuy on August 31, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Gollum Alphie, originally known as Sméagol, was a creature of Stoorish Liberalish origin. The name Gollum alphie was derived from the disgusting gurgling, choking cough it made. Gollum Alphie is a creature who was has been deformed and twisted in both body and mind by the corruption of The Ring One. One of its chief desires is to possess the Ring 2008 election which has enslaved it since it lost it in 2000 and 2004. (Smeagol Alphie hates hanging chads.)

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Gender: Unknown

Species: Homoliberalus Moronis (native to San Francisco and parts of France)

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Self-fixed for accuracy and completeness.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 12:39 AM

“still time for the Pubs to announce a credible VP pick…
Alphie on August at 11:55″

Did the KosKids kick you out so you chose to infest HotAir?

dhunter on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 AM

With free speech, you take the bad with the good…

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Michael in MI

So I guess I’m just a little confused as to how McCain goes from a hold-your-nose pick on Thursday to people giving him money and campaigning for him on Friday.

For me its like this: I don’t like some of McCain’s positions and seeming bows to the other side of the isle. I do like the majority of his stands and certainly liked a couple of other candidates better. So here he is, McCain, with the most indicative choice to make for the success of his campaign. He made a bold choice, a Conservative choice and one that is in keeping with his own BEST instincts (the pork-busting Maverick one’s that I DO like). This shows me that he’s serious about winning but also listening to the hue and cry of the base (he came awfully close to picking Lieberman).

In this way McCain is fighting – something I haven’t seen from Republicans since the days of Newt actually. I’ve been waiting for someone to show some spine for the party. McCain risked his ambitions with the surge and I truly believe he risked it again by picking Palin. That’s character and I will support it with all the meager might I can bring to bear because I am Conservative, love this country and wish to see a resurgence of Republican ideals (the one’s exemplified by Reagan). My only other real option is to remain mired in cynicism and defeat. I don’t want to live like that.

JonPrichard on August 31, 2008 at 12:42 AM

I haven’t seen your name pop up for awhile.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Assuming you missed me, I ’bout wore myself out this week trying to keep up on Hot Air and had to refresh the brain cells.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Central Texas hosts GOP organizational meetings this week.

Do you have a link for this Mav?

JonPrichard on August 31, 2008 at 12:48 AM

turfmann nailed it.

The pundits and elites have elevated political positions in this country where those icons of leadership no longer have to take a piss or crap.

Suggestion: Go out and mix with some ‘normal’ people on occasion.

GarandFan on August 31, 2008 at 12:50 AM

With his pick of Palin, McCain is throwing down a gauntlet of sorts. He’s saying that while his running mate may have equally limited experience, the experience she does have shows that she has better judgment. Obama played the crooked Chicago politics game; Palin fought corruption. Obama associated with criminals and terrorists; Palin associates with the working class. Obama has disdain for those who “cling to” guns and religion; Palin hunts and goes to church. Obama voted with his party 96% of the time; Palin ran against and beat a sitting governor from her own party in the primary and isn’t afraid to take on Republicans who she thinks is wrong.

In short, Palin’s political experience is everything Obama’s is not. Personally, I think she’s going to make those points clearer in her acceptance speech on Wednesday. Palin’s appeal is not based on her experience. It’s based on who she is and the choices she made and I think her story will resonate with the middle-class voters who have yet to fully accept or trust Obama.

Who knows? Maybe I’m out in left field, but I think this was a pretty shrewd pick. Solidifying the base was just gravy.

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:17 AM

good stuff guys

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 12:51 AM

cgoode…

No worries. I detected a mis-fire when I read your response. It’s all goode. (that was a pun)

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 12:46 AM

There has been a flood of newbies the last few days, which is great, but it is good to see familiar names still here, fighting the fascist hoards and defending the Republic.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:55 AM

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 12:49 AM

snort…if that’s the worst thing they can find from her silly young days, well…I’m not terribly worried

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 12:56 AM

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 12:49 AM

that’s it? the money shot?

yawn…

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 12:56 AM

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 12:49 AM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 12:56 AM

I know if they try that then is no harm in us mentioning Obama’s drug use right ?

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Just to be clear on my earlier post, I am nothing if not a fan of the Powerline crew. Their argumentation is consistently well-founded and their credentials are unquestionably conservative. I’ve been reading them daily for four years and they are the first stop on my daily blog trail. I believe that, in part, their reaction is a case of visceral disappointment that their guy didn’t get the pick, even though it looked like Pawlenty was probably the safest pick. I’d be disappointed too.

As lawyers, I believe they are a bit too enamored with the party status quo. I would resist change too, were I wired into the system, both professionally and recreationally, as well as they are. I think that confines their vision a bit, and I also believe that they are more insulated from the trench warfare that is life for the majority of us because of their hard work and success. I don’t fault them for it, but I do disagree with them.

Immolate on August 31, 2008 at 12:59 AM

that’s it? the money shot?

yawn…

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 12:56 AM

This is the one I’m worried about …

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 AM

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 12:49 AM

The audacity of that girl!

She’s talented, accomplished, attractive AND she has a sense of humor.

HOW DARE SHE!

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:02 AM

So the dems are gonna demonize a teen girl to win the white house ? are they that desperate ?

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM

You do know that Brookhiser was one of Buckley’s favorite writers, right?

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 12:30 AM

No, thank you, I didn’t, but it only puts a finer edge on my comment, doesn’t it? I have noticed a creeping condescension by some at NRO of late. It should not go without notice of KJL’s excellent piece recently on Palin and abortion that I thought put into context the essential character of the woman. All the rest is (excellent) window dressing. It is the character that people are detecting in her, that people are being drawn to.

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Rasmussen poll on the Palin pick.

Basically McCain suporters thought well of her and Obama supporters didn’t. “Big surprise”.

Among the swing voter undecideds, Palin made 6 percent more likely to vote for McCain and 31 percent less likely to vote for him. 49 percent said it would have no impact and 15 percent said they were unsure.

Among undecideds, 59 percent said Palin was unready to be president. 6 percent said she was.

semloh on August 31, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Rasmussen poll on the Palin pick.

semloh on August 31, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Which is 100% strange because when asked about McCain and Palin Ticket white men go big for it and white women break even.

Im betting its the black vote that has gone completely negative.

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 1:09 AM

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 AM

That pic looks like a slice of Americana from a deepdish apple pie.

jerrytbg on August 31, 2008 at 1:10 AM

I think this picture exposes Palin for what she truly is.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 AM

JonPrichard on August 31, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Understandable. And I can understand your points.

Here’s where I stand. I associate Barack Obama with Jeremiah Wright. I cannot think of Barack Obama without thinking of the ideology of Wright.

In the same way, I associate John McCain with Juan Hernandez and La Raza. I cannot think of John McCain without thinking of the ideology of Juan Hernandez and La Raza.

As such, I cannot, in good conscience place a vote for any politician who associates himself with either of those despicable people and organizations.

The irony is that Obama at least denounced and distanced himself from Wright. McCain has yet to distance himself from Juan Hernandez and La Raza.

I just I just don’t see how people are so forgiving of a man who pretty much spit in the face of Americans, and sided with America-hating illegals (La Raza and Juan Hernadez). I don’t know how I am supposed to explain that away to people by saying “hey, Palin’s his VP! And umm… Obama’s worse!”

In the end, if I vote for McCain, I will be voting for Juan Hernandez and La Raza. Since I said back in Jan I would NEVER do that, if I end up deciding to vote for McCain, it will be an anti-Obama vote, more than anything. (Palin doesn’t need to win in order to be the future of the Party. Just being on the ticket and campaigning sets her up well)

But, like 2004, people aren’t going to be all jazzed up to vote against someone. They need something to vote for. I don’t have anything to tell my circle of friends, family, coworkers who are still skeptical of McCain. Telling them that I am simply voting for him as an anti-Obama vote will not be very inspiring to them. Telling them to vote for him, because of Palin will not be inspiring to them.

Again, I like Palin, but I just don’t understand the giddiness people have for McCain now, when we still have his same crappy policies (pandering to La Raza and the hate-America illegals, being wrong on global warming, etc). If Palin changed anything regarding policy, then I could understand. But I don’t see her changing anything.

Like you, I don’t want to live in cynicism either. But I’m looking at the facts of the matter with McCain and him choosing Palin changes none of my distaste or cynicism regarding him.

Oh well. I’m glad you came to the decision that you have. I wish I could get myself to do that, but I guess I lost faith in McCain a long time ago and short of him dumping Juan Hernandez, denouncing La Raza and coming to his senses on global warming, I can’t see myself getting excited about him at all.

Michael in MI on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 AM

“still time for the Pubs to announce a credible VP pick…
Alphie on August at 11:55″

Still time for the Dems to announce a credible Presidential pick**… (of course we’ve been waiting for a few decades now, so what’s a few months!)

** and for those who point out that they already had their convention, I’d like to ask “what are rules*** when Dems are involved?”

*** (see reference to secret ballots to ensure unity lockstep in delegate voting)

dominigan on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 AM

turfmann on August 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM

I’m sure more than a few in and around conservative politics want to win but don’t want to actually change anything. Palin just brings it to the light. The fact that she appeals to the conservative base (ie the common folk) makes them all nervous.

Didn’t the Catholic church have this problem with Martin Luther and (I believe) Tynsdale? Basiclly they said you just keep giving us money and let us take care of the religious details.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 AM

With you favorite flavor of ice cream!

jerrytbg on August 31, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Read Maureen Dowd’s snarky “Vice in Go-Go Boots” column and then send her a response (she doesn’t allow comments that I could find).

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:11 AM

nice one!

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Yeah .. and hopefully applie pie is what caused that baby-lookin lump in her daughter’s womb-area.

Hope I’m wrong ..

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:20 AM

What can I say? I’m a pushover for princesses.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Hopefully Gov. Palin’s selection as the Republican VP nominee will help us all get back to MLK’s judging people by the content of their character and not the color of one’s skin

Gohawgs on August 31, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Gohawgs on August 31, 2008 at 1:33 AM

that will be hard to do for libs with “from each according to ability, to each according to need” ringing in their ears.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:35 AM

“still time for the Pubs to announce a credible VP pick…”I am a Reagan convervative”
Alphie on August at 11:55″

Johan Klaus on August 31, 2008 at 1:35 AM

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM

I think trying to figure out whether a woman is pregnant or not based on appearance is a fool’s errand, especially if a picture is the “evidence.”

Other pictures I’ve seen of the family show the girl with a similar bump, so it’s probably nothing more than a bit of baby fat that has yet to subside.

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 1:37 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:35 AM

I can dream, can’t I?

jsut a touch of sarcasm…

Gohawgs on August 31, 2008 at 1:41 AM

uhhh, “just”

Gohawgs on August 31, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Gohawgs on August 31, 2008 at 1:41 AM

lol.

dream with all your might!

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 1:37 AM

agreed.

i have, sadly, seen many young women with more “baby fat” than they should have. too much sugar in their diets. she may even, and i shudder as i write this, be a vegetarian.

very starchy diet. easy to get fat that way.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Just to clarify, when I say “trying to figure out whether a woman is pregnant or not based on appearance is a fool’s errand” I mean that it’s best not to assume a woman is pregnant unless she’s in active labor.

Assuming otherwise, and being foolish enough to mention it, could earn you a rather negative reaction.

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 1:47 AM

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM

You’re buying that piece the daughter is the real mother of the newborn, ignoring that Ms Palin is wearing a down vest to hide her pregnancy?….ummm….that means they must have killed one of them…
Relax… it’s the moose burgers…

jerrytbg on August 31, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 1:47 AM

oh… that.

good point.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:53 AM

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 1:53 AM

Heh. Trust me…I speak from experience.

And I have the scars to show for it. :-D

Slublog on August 31, 2008 at 1:55 AM

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM

I held my nose and ventured over to DailyKos and read through that “diary”, paying attention to the timeline they set forth. I don’t see why Palin would allow her daughter to pose in April like that if she was trying to hide her daughter’s pregnancy and then go to those extraordinary efforts to fake her own pregancy. She never would have allowed the picture in the first place. It makes no sense.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 1:56 AM

You are distracting their distraction.

Stop it!

Barry

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 2:00 AM

This is the one I’m worried about …

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:00 AM

just what a teenaged girl needs….to have a bunch of people on the internet call her fat.

A lot of girls have adopted very strange posture lately where they actually arch their backs to stick out their bellies. I don’t get it, but see it all the time.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 1:56 AM
yeah…really doesn’t make sense. And the pick Ed has of Gov Palin from the back–that’s pregnant, no question about it.

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 2:01 AM

Well .. either we have a problem .. which I still doubt ..

.. or I just got done calling the future first female vp in history’s daughter fat.

I hear her mom’s tough too ..

Maybe she’ll come after me for it ..

.. personally ..

.. in a cheerleader outfit ..

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 2:01 AM

This is the one I’m worried about …

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 1:00

so? one way or the other – why do you care?

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 2:02 AM

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 2:01 AM

Dude. This is a total non-issue. Palin’s pictures are completely consistent with a pregnant athlete, and the girl’s picture are consistent with a healthy kid growing up.

This is just a crappy shot in the dark by the left to try to wedge into, and interrupt, the party on the right. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist or Popular Mechanics to dismiss this work of fiction.

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Because I’d like to see McCain elected, genius.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 1:56 AM

There is extensive discussion & reaction to this in the Hot Air Headlines,

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 2:11 AM

I clicked on the Desparation from Democrats thread from Ed and then went to the Anchorage Daily News article about her pregnancy. I can see why this is happening. Sarah-cuda has made some enemies up there. Here is a quote from Megan Larson:

“Reading through the posts here, I have been shocked and saddened. Many of you are usually tough on Sarah to the point of abuse, but the comments that remain in this thread and obviously the ones that were deleted are so degrading and inappropriate because people are referring negatively to her pregnancy and unborn child.”

I suspect said enemies are feeding the lib blogs information to smear Palin.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:12 AM

“Before the pick many conservatives were going to hold their nose and pull the lever on McCain as a vote against Obama.

Now they are ready to dance their way into the voting booth and joyfully pull that lever as a vote FOR McCain. PALIN

Fixed it = )

America1st on August 31, 2008 at 2:12 AM

As near as I can tell, Governor Palin has 80% or so approval ratings in the State. And the other 20% are very, very angry about and threatened by her reform activities.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 2:18 AM

bigger version of Ed’s pick–yeah, this is a pregnant woman

no worries cgoode. really

And it wouldn’t be the lovely Mrs. Palin coming to visit you with a baseball bat. It would be Mr. Palin, and I’m gonna guess he knows how to swing it. Or a hockey stick.

I’d also guess that Bristol saw that family portrait and decided to try an exercise plan. Poor girl–she looked fine.

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 2:21 AM

There is extensive discussion & reaction to this in the Hot Air Headlines,

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Yea, I followed those links and read some of the comments. Pretty bad. BTW: Did you know that Todd is the father? Nice.

Quite a few comments said it was all bogus. One even said, “Come on guys, Democrats are better than that!” I fell off the chair laughing on that one!

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Oh, and all the comments from staffers and friends that they “couldn’t tell” she was pregnant until she announced it in Feb? Typical little white lie that womean tell each other all the time…sadly, we women in our 40s can gain weight as our metabolisms slow down. Her friends probably thought she was working so much that she had started to put on some pounds or something.

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 2:25 AM

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 2:18 AM

Yea. Multiply that 20% by 50 states and their respective Senators, Representatives, Lobbyists and other assorted bottom-feeders and you’ve got some serious hate going.

As the 4-Star General said in a M.A.S.H. episode, “This is a press conference. The last thng we want to do is answer a lot of questions!”

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:27 AM

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Better keep your sense of humor. I lay odds there is a lot more to come.

Or, using a different approach, as Bette Davis said in All About Eve, “Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.”

Loxodonta on August 31, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Because I’d like to see McCain elected, genius.

cgoode777 on August 31, 2008 at 2:10 AM

I don’t see this as anything but a diversion.
She wins either way.
But maybe we should let them run with it.

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 2:29 AM

funky chicken on August 31, 2008 at 2:25 AM

Megan Larson from the Anchorage Daily News talks about the issues high-profile women have with pregnancies becoming public. Being a man, this is all news to me ;-)

And not to mention, Palin kept the VEEP selection a BIG secret! I’m sure keeping her pregnancy a secret from her staffers was easy for her.

Mr_Magoo on August 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM

William Amos on August 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Come on Will…it’s the donks.

Look at their anti-Bush pap in october over the years.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 2:32 AM

My Palin Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Come on, none of this rhetoric you’re all spewing really matters. It’s all about good camera angle and photogenic shots. Who do you want to see in the camera, Biden or Palin?

Admit it, she’s sharp as a whip crack and gives good camera, she’ll do just fine.

Biffstir on August 31, 2008 at 2:36 AM