Quotes of the day

posted at 10:25 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

“The great threat to the Obama-Biden ticket can be captured in one word: authenticity.”

“Liberals love Obama because he is a Numinous Negro. Conservatives love Palin because she has a Downs baby and an M-16.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Palin honors the office of Vice President or President more than any of the three fog horn, blow horn lifetime careerist Senators that are dishonoring their current offices.

That said the 31st is the last day to legally contribute to the Palin ticket. Thanks John Mccain, for having the courage to pick her. You got my vote, my contribution and my enthusiastic support on Friday the 29th of August by the way happy birthday John and happy anniversary Sarah may God Bless and Keep You Both!

dhunter on August 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

* Record fund raising for McCain.
* Completely undermined Obama’s media coverage coming off his acceptance speech
* Seems to have completely negated Obama’s expected post convention bounce
* Has got the left making arguments against her (experience, sexist, elitist) that hurt them far more than they hurt McCain
* Seems to have generated real excitement among conservative, independent and, most importantly, disaffected Dems.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Spot on!

Go ahead, try to name any other VP candidate that could have accomplished even TWO of these items.

But I think the last point is the most important for the election – energizing the base.

You don’t win when you vote against something (just look at the Dems with their approach to the 2004 election.)

You win when you vote FOR someone.

Now, admittedly, people seem to more excited about voting for Palin than for McCain, but it’s still a huge and critical difference in this campaign.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

I would love to here Palin,in a speech explain
why the most powerful women in the universe,
Nancy Pelosi,

(“It just Might Take a Women”),

failed to clean the “House”!

Then sit back,and watch the Left
go thermal nuclear!!!!!haha:)

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

McCain has no history of doing anything idiotic.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM

You forgot the sarcasm tag – LOL!

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:18 PM

I trust an old dog like you still has a little blood hound left.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

See McCain’s response to the historians above? I think they’ve been reading your comments! Good work!

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Excellent.

Hey AP, forget the pills. Cut that post up, snort it and you’ll feel great.

The experience argument had already been played. It made it’s mark. Judgment is a very good move next. Esp if tied to scandals/associations vs. pair of mavericks.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

What else besides maybe religious conviction does she add to McCain? Is she more Maverick? Does she shore up the gaping economic hole in his resume’? Does she own a fencing company I’m not aware of?

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM

She brings excutive administrative experience. She brings enthusiasm, money, and campaign foot soldiers. She brings a record of accomplishment in fighting corruption and waste(McCain may be against it, but I’ve not noticed any real accomplishments in that area). She brings a reminder that the government can be run by noncareer politicians. She offers a longterm pathway to changing the GOP away from what it has become.

a capella on August 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Off-topic:

Didn’t know where to put this, so I’m putting it here.

The “Alan Colmes rockets into the gutter” story link seems to be dead. I did see it earlier, but tried to refresh after posting a comment and it appears to be down.

I’m wondering if some hacker put the story up. I don’t agree with Colmes, but I respect him as a reasoned and fair broadcaster .. and I absolutely could not believe what it said.

… oops … nevermind … it’s back up … guess it was him after all …

So much for my ability to read people .. he’s a nitwit muckraker after all.

Text:

Rogers Cadenhead gives the timeline associated with the birth of her newest child. She had a speech in Dallas and, even after the water broke, continued with her activities, and then boarded a plane for home. She did consult by phone with her doctor.

Still, a Sacramento, Calif., obstetrician who is active in the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, said when a pregnant woman’s water breaks, she should go right to the hospital because of the risk of infection. That’s true even if the amniotic fluid simply leaks out, said Dr. Laurie Gregg.

- Alan Colmes, http://www.alan.com

cgoode777 on August 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

No I think your right. the polls show a close race. 40-45% for each person. The numbers change but thay seem to hold in that pattern. McCain is going for that 10%-20% that hates washington with everybone in their body but also hates liberalism. Until Palin they had no choice except BHO if they wanted a different path. McCain gave them a third way out.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM

I think Palin was a brilliant pick even if for only this one reason: even if McC disdains the office of VP (I don’t think he does) he is grooming the future of the Republican party. And it’s a CONSERVATIVE future!

Bush did the party a disservice by not choosing a new and younger running mate in 2004. As a result, we had a wide-open primary with no heir-apparent. (in hind-sight, perhaps a blessing in disguise, but still a failure to plan for the future.)

Palin/Jindal 2012!

Ace ODale on August 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM

yikes. brookhiser seems a bit “hung up”. what makes him so sure that sarah won’t be an ass-kicker when it comes to the GWOT?

he doesn’t make much of a case…

homesickamerican on August 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Because Brookhiser is a measured and cautious guy. That’s the essential element of conservative behavior, right?

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

This could all change tomorrow, but for right now, it looks brilliant.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Yes, I agree, *for right now*. But this isn’t about right now, is it? This is about winning the election. And that is what people are saying, why she is “brilliant” is she will guarantee the election to McCain now, because she got the base energized and now there’s no stopping them!!!111!!

As I said, we will know if this was brilliant or not only if he wins the election. If we are judging her pick based on getting the base energized and getting the fundraising energized, then sure, it was brilliant. I don’t deny that at all. But this is not about being energized and getting money. This is about winning the election. Her supporters are saying that her pick was brilliant, because it guarantees McCain wins. I say that we can judge that come November.

Nonsense. You can’t hang the results of an election on the VP pick. McCain could do something idiotic tomorrow that could have an enormous impact on the election that Palin has nothing to do with. She could perform flawlessly and McCain could still lose.

Heh, sorry, I just had to laugh at this, because that is not what I have been hearing from McCain-Palin cheerleaders the last 2 days. They are saying that Palin clinches this election for McCain. Prior to this, McCain was probably going to lose, but not that he has Palin as his VP, he is guaranteed to win. I’m glad you see the fallacy of this, but that is not the message that is being sent by many on the right the last two days.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Excellent, Ace ODale.

wise_man on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Off topic again .. last time, I swear –

Just for the record .. from one of the replies to the story:

#

This has to be one of the most ignorant and vicious slams I’ve ever seen from someone on this level of media. Downs is caused by a fluke in the DNA division. At conception.
No wonder independents are more disgusted with democrats than George Bush.
Posted by Beto Ochoa
August 30th, 2008 at 11:03 pm

cgoode777 on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Ace ODale on August 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Bush still won didn’t he?
It’s not Bush’s responsibility to choose a running mate for future presidents. It’s the party’s responsibility. This is why we have McCain.

Kini on August 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

So is letting the data lead you to your conclusions. Measured and cautious people don;t jump to pessimistic conclusion based on nothing but their gut.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Ace:

Conservatives loved Cheney too.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Canadian Guy–

Interesting that Doris Kearns Goodwin is in that group. She was at the center of a major plagiarism scandal in 2002 involving a book she had written about the Kennedys. Biden isn’t the only copycat on that side of the aisle.

PA Cat on August 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM

cgoode:

Pretty stupid alright.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM

a capella on August 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

All good points except you might have a stronger argument if you dropped the last sentence. People are so quick for another transcendental pick, that they try and out JFK or out Reagan the other side. It’s almost as if we’re having collective Obama-envy.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Another classy move, Dems.:

thedudesblog on August 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM

We also have to keep in mind that the overall national polls don’t matter too much. It is the Electoral Vote that matters. Keep in mind that in 2004, a few hundred thousand votes the other way in Ohio would have handed the election to Kerry. And in 2000, Gore won the overall vote, but lost the Electoral Vote.

The last two elections have been extremely close. This one is shaping up to be the same way, with a few hundred thousand votes switching parties in a state here or there and the Democrats win the electoral votes. I think we need to stop paying attention to the constantly shifting national votes and start paying attention to battleground states.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM

cgoode777 on August 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

These people are so ignorant. I saw video of Sarah just before she annouced her pregnancy and she clearly looked pregnant. The problem is most dems don’t know what a pregnant women looks like, as most of their pregnancis end in the sink.

bloggless on August 30, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Michael:

I don’t know if Palin clinches the election or not, but I do that that no matter who McCain picked there would have been people saying it was bad, wrong, stupid, evil, screwed up or too maverickey. Whatever.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM

“Liberals love Obama because he is a Numinous Negro.”

THAT is the best description I’ve ever heard. Ding an sich indeed!

Weight of Glory on August 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Regarding measured caution, might I invoke the following reference from McCain’s closest frenemy:
“Fool me once, shame on…shame on you….. you can’t get fooled again.”

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM

This I can pretty much agree with.

I think there has been a bit of an over-reaction to the pick, but I think that speaks more to how much trouble conservatives had really getting behind McCain.

Palin was a brilliant pick in the short term (see BigOldDog’s list of what it accomplished).

She has the potential to be a brilliant pick in the long term, but much of that will depend on whether or not McCain sees her as part of his brain trust or just ‘window dressing.’

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Yeah and when you have chest pain you should call 911 and go to the ER via ambulance, but how many people do that???? Half of them drive themselves to the Doctor’s office three days later. These people are nothing but slugs.

bloggless on August 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM

You mean the ones like OHIO, PA, MI MN, CO, where Palin will score and score big? Or do you mean the ones like NY where she will not.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM

In other words, was this pick just a political bone he threw to conservatives…

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

It may have been. We shall see…

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Michael:

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Good point Terrye. Our opinions and issues are what drive us to post, vote, and debate away. Anyone that didn’t have a dog in this hunt wouldn’t be clicking away at 11:30 at night trying to devour another red-meat installment from AP.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM

dhunter on August 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Here’s another one……

Biden, McCain, and Palin all have offspring currently serving in the military and deploying to Iraq. Guess who’s missing from this equation?

I absolutely don’t equate this factor as qualifcation for high office but it is one of those things that should be noted instead of letting pass.

highhopes on August 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Once upon a time here in HotAir-land, as early as last year and as late as this Jan/Feb, I was part of the majority. Now I am an outcast.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Life is cold, and the game is old
Just see how virtue repays you
But hold your own
Even if you must face the wind alone

BlakeneyP on August 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

It would be a whole lot harder slog to win in November without an energized base. I’m part of the base and was ready to hold my nose and vote for McCain, mostly against Obama. Now though I’m excited for the future of the ideals of the Republican party and Conservatism. McCain fooled me (to my great happiness) and selected someone that represents a future I want to fight for. Now I’ll walk precincts, man phones for GOTV on election day and walk that very last mile for this ticket. Plus I sent money. There’s not another candidate that would have put me in that position unless Ronald Reagan rose from the dead.

JonPrichard on August 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

This I can pretty much agree with.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM

I’m within shouting distance of your points. I detest what the other side has done with their Messiah, and I would hope we’re more measured with our people. Palin seems grounded enough to neither pursue or accept such transcendency. She probably hunts with tags, and she wouldn’t want to poach from Hillary.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Anybody who thinks this guarantees a win is living in fantasy land. So far it exceeds the wildest expectation but that could all change in an instant. I haven’t seen to much of that wild enthusiasm (thinking it guarantees victory) but I’m sure some people think that way, but they are a tiny minority from what I’ve seen.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM

They are saying that her delay in getting to the hospital caused her son’s Down Syndrome?

Did they not take high school biology?

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM

McCain is inside 0bamas zone, he is one step ahead at every turn, he is controlling the debate (the ones 0bama won’t have) even when the Dems think they are acting they are actually reacting and their reactions are predictable Liberal Dem talking point reactions.

McCain is getting some very good advice from someone. I honestly don’t think he has it in him to do this on his own. He absolutely stole any bump the Dums convention should have produced through TV ads and this Palin pick. Hes’ in 0bamas zone and 0 doesn’t know it. When 0 figures that out he then has to figure how to shake McCain out and by then it could very well be too late.

dhunter on August 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Every negativity thrown at Palin by doubting pessimists reflects their own criticism of themselves, and when given full consideration, exposes the fallacy of their attempted vilification of Palin. Take the liars denying Palin’s honesty because they wish she bore their faults. Take the asshats snickering at her authenticity because they have none themselves. Take the critics of her experience because they’re angry at her success at cleansing ethics violators and slashing expenditures in such brisk time. And never let those espousing suffrage and advancement of professional females defile Palin’s successes as a wife, mother of five, and 13 years with high approval ratings as an elected conservative executive public servant. And of course, hear the misogynists who feign the public facade of accepting, supporting, or loving women cry “foul” because a beautiful, intelligent, capable, experienced woman was chosen by McCain to be our VP instead of “their man” with all “his” silent yet dead-weight baggage.

Palin is a great choice and THE choice now. She will serve us wonderfully as VP. Support our GOP candidates so that we can defeat the Democrats, dethrone Pelosi/Reid, secure America and preserve our Constitution.

A ship in harbor is safe, but not accomplishing the ship’s purpose when constructed. Recall Pearl Harbor. Recall how after playing “safe” before the attack, our admirals had to take huge risks to defend America and win their War in the Pacific against the threats.

maverick muse on August 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM

I agree. And I will say that this was probably the most brilliant pick based on her not having any negative things said about McCain in her history. Thus, the Democrats can’t use her words against him, as McCain has done with Hillary against Obama.

The top choices I think were Pawlenty and Romney. Romney would have been used big time by the Democrats, since he had plenty criticism of McCain. Plus, they would have used McCain’s words about Romney against Romney.

Then, as you said, there would be the infighting among the GOP and conservatives, no matter who was picked. If it were Pawlenty, people would have said “well, why didn’t he pick ___?” And if it were Romney, people would have said “well, why didn’t he pick___?”

So I agree. It seems like a brilliant pick. However, we are talking about politics here. Not everything is based on logic and facts. If you had talked to me prior to 2006 mid-terms, I would have told you that I was certain the American people would never vote the Democrats into power. Sure enough…

So I will concede the pick seems brilliant, but time will tell if it pans out.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM

The only way Palin can be hurt by attacks is if they come from the mouths of Biden or oBambi. The media will attack her but just as was the case with Billary, that will only reflect positively. Actually, in her case the effect will be even greater than it was for Hillary because she will be viewed as a true blue collar hard working American.

Unlike Hillary, however, it is ver hard for Obama or biden to attack Palin. A) because the audience isn’t the nut roots anymore B) because Bambi can’t attack Palin’s only weakness (experience) because it is his own biggest weakness C) Because Palin is an unknown, and attackingunknowns usually comes off poorly for the attacker (Hillary hit Obambi and look who won)D) because Biden will look like an arrogant fool picking on a Women

eski502 on August 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM

I would love to here Palin,in a speech explain
why the most powerful women in the universe,
Nancy Pelosi,

(”It just Might Take a Women”),

failed to clean the “House”!

Then sit back,and watch the Left
go thermal nuclear!!!!!haha:)

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

no no Nancy you sweep with the broom you dont ride it off into the night sky

Mojack420 on August 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Here, let me fix your quote because the same logic applies: “Measured and cautious people don’t jump to optimistic conclusions based on nothing but their gut.”

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Those are the ones I am talking about. And considering Detroit controls Michigan like Chicago controls Illinois, and Detroit just re-elected the dunce Granholm and re-elected the criminal Kwame, I don’t have much faith in Michigan to elect a Republican. Especially when I have seen nothing but Obama signs all over the place here since the primaries. And now seeing lots and lots of bumper stickers as well. If I start seeing some McCain stuff in the next few weeks, I’ll start to feel a little better about the possibility of Michigan going Red. Time will tell though…

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM

dhunter on August 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM
It is funny to see 0bama try so hard and receive no bounce. I mean, he built the freaking Ocropolis and all most of us remember is blah blah blah, (cue Charlie Brown’s teacher.) I do give them accolades for that beat down. I would pay for a picture of O’s face when that sucker punch landed.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Did they not take high school biology?
funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Huh? They baby was diagnosed in-vitro at 4 months if I remember correctly.

x-wing on August 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

“Fool me once, shame on…shame on you….. you can’t get fooled again.”

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM

That ship has sailed. It’s half way to China. We are down to two. In my opinion Obama is the most dangerous man to be this close to the Presidency in my lifetime. Once McCain is elected, I’ll have no equal in going after him when he goes off the reservation but for right now, compared to Obama he’s Ronaldus Maximus.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Good choice there FC.

jerrytbg on August 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

dhunter on August 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

have to agree. i point to McCain and Palin on the coming storm. Already on site, talking about postponeing the convention while the dems shout in glee that millions will be impacted and they will capitalize on the misery.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

That first quote is from Newt–if you haven’t read the whole thing, make sure you do:

As I wandered around from a family restaurant to the dry cleaners to a variety of other non-political places, people kept walking up to me and talking with energy and enthusiasm about their reaction to McCain’s choice of Governor Palin. As I sifted through their emotions and the intensity of their reaction it hit me that they were responding to “the real thing.” The power of Palin is that she is so out of the establishment, and so out of the talking-heads, inside-the –Beltway-elite mindset, that the 80 per cent of Americans who believe we are on the wrong track suddenly can identify with someone who isn’t part of what got us on that track.

His words go right along with unseen on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM:

She didn’t need a husband to get where she is, she didn’t need a crook to buy her house, she didn’t need to tell her spouse to go hide for 6 months because He was so anti-americian it made her lose points in the polls. the list goes on. she is not even once removed from EVERYDAY AMERICA. She understand making bills, shopping, raising kids, and yes she also understands government and excutive power. She is a soccer mom but also a successful goverment offical.

INC on August 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

As an outside observer I must say Palin is the best part of this race so far. Her genuineness erases Obamas “close your eyes and jump” mystique.

I hear some complain of such a choice in the middle of a war. Are we in the middle of a war? With what or who? The enemy are our advisers. We finance our attackers. And now policy dictates that partnership is the way. Powered by cash. Your cash, not their cash. Has trusting Muslims ever worked for the unbelievers in the past? You might know the answer if you had a working knowledge of your enemy. But that is prevented by your government for reasons of sheer ignorance.

And right now it is out of fashion to debate because of the traditional quadrennial grand introspection.

The playing field is a lot more level than one could dream. The future is certainly a coin toss.

BL@KBIRD on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Right, but we have data. See my earlier post.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

dhunter on August 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Amen.

Metro on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

That is exactly why I am finally…Finally! excited to pull the lever for McCain. Who is the party of Real hope and change and reaching across isles and ending politics as usual? It sure isn’t Obama and his Chicago politics. The maverick picked someone even more mavericky – brilliant!

Keli on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Life is cold, and the game is old
Just see how virtue repays you
But hold your own
Even if you must face the wind alone

BlakeneyP on August 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

It reminds me, and I don’t know why, of the Civil War soldier who was dieing of his wounds and asked a friend to write his father a letter. He told his friend to tell his father that he had “died with his face to the enemy”.

JonRoss on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Interesting thought.

I’m not sure Obama would be a worse president than Kerry would have been, though.

I think historians will look back at Kerry and label him the worst major party candidate of all time.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Michael:

Yes, time will tell.

But she shook things up and I think that was the whole point.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

highhopes on August 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Yeah and McCain is the only one of the four to have actually served in the military. Obama and Palin weren’t of age in the Draft Era, but Biden was. How come Biden never served? He came of age in the Draft Era…

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

I’m not waiting until November to fight him. He might take his new found political capital and spend it on something new, shiny, and green. We need two eyes on him at all times.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Religious_Zealot:

Obama reminds me of Huey Long.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

BlakeneyP on August 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

That was good, I like that. :)

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I don’t “love” Sarah because of her Down’s Syndrome baby or her gun. I like her because she is who she is, no apologies, no ambiguity–She is who she is. Frankly, some of her persona is not to my taste—but I am delighted that she does not plan to change to fit my image of what she ought to be. I have always admired people who are true to themselves, and she is one of these.

jeanie on August 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

JonRoss on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Colonel Issac Avery said that after being mortally wounded on the 2nd day of fighting at Gettysburg after unsuccessfully trying to capture East Cemetery Hill.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Did they not take high school biology?

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM

That kind of stupid, shallow, ignorant attack is going to just kill them. They just can’t help themselves. Any woman in their late 30s early 40s trying to have a child is just going to go bananas over attacks like that not to mention every mother with a special needs child (nothing like blaming the mother for something she has no control over). Wow. It’s just really, really dumb.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:49 PM

cgoode777 on August 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

WTF? I can’t reach the Colmes link. Still, I’ll note that I think he’s a worthless sack of sh*t.

So what’s the issue of Palin’s getting to the hospital immediately after her water broke have to do with Trig’s birth defect. He developed with an extra chromosome and, according to my very limited understanding of biology, that happened long before his birth.

Colmes has an absurd hairline and is uglier than sin. Therefore, he shouldn’t be a TV personality. Those two sentences make as much sense as what cgoode777 quoted from Colmes.

What’s Colmes’s point?

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Right, but we have data. See my earlier post.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

And data can be compared to other data and scrutinized to death. It’s done on a daily basis in business, science and law.

You say ying, and I can say yang. You can say she’s done this, and I can say she hasn’t done that.

Blah, blah, blah. God forbid some folks ’round here can be somewhat apprehensive about picking Palin considering ol’ John’s past actions.

Just sayin’…

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:51 PM

JonPrichard on August 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

See, I still am not going to go out and campaign for McCain, because, well, I can’t stand McCain. So I’m not about to go out and try to convince people to vote for someone I can’t stand. And telling them they should vote for McCain solely because he has a good VP is not going to do the trick either. So I guess I’m just a little confused as to how McCain goes from a hold-your-nose pick on Thursday to people giving him money and campaigning for him on Friday. He still holds the same crappy views on issues which conservatives hold dear. That didn’t change with the Palin VP choice. We’re still going to get 4 years of Maverick, the same way we were getting 4 years of Maverick on Thursday. The fact is, even if McCain loses, Palin is set up nicely for 2012.

An interesting thought… Obama wins.. tanks as a President. In 2012, we could have Hillary vs Palin.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Just sayin’…

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:51 PM

But shouldn’t that apprehension be directed toward McCain instead of Palin?

Just sayin’…

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Good points, but putting say and ying together was really messing with my mind. I felt my mind start to stutter.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Obama reminds me of Huey Long.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

You give Obama too much credit. He doesn’t have that kind of political savvy…

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM

That’s a mistake. Then enemy of my enemy is my friend. Once the most dangerous enemy is dealt with, then you can turn your attention to your former friend.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Since when has everyday Americian been unable to do the job of governing? Does the Corner think that only elite snobs in Washington can possibly handle the responsibility of government?

. . . . . . . .

I am so sick and tired of the beltway and the mindset that supports it. Who the hell cares if someone was on Meet the Press six times and has a position paper on Iran.
funky chicken

Exactly. I suspect that our elected representatives seldom read the bills they vote on. And often the bill itself or the important parts of it are written by the lobbyists that contribute so heavily to the campaigns. And most of our most esteemed journalists don’t even feel this kind of thing is worth writing about.

snaggletoothie on August 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM

To describe that which is wholly other, I’ll join in the numinous chorus reprising Obama the DNC POTUS candidate to totally be wholly other than what he represents himself to be.

CHANGE what he is to what you want to believe in.

maverick muse on August 30, 2008 at 11:54 PM

You give Obama too much credit. He doesn’t have that kind of political savvy…

eanax on August 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM

hasn’t he managed to make it all the way to the Senate without ever really having to run against anyone? Didn’t he just defeat the, “inevitable” Hillary? Don’t underestimate this guy.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

I just want to say I pray for all those in the path of the coming storm. I hope no death occurred in Cuba and hope all those that can leave the path are making plans to do so.

On a positive note and slightly /scar front. I think Friday was government checkfood stamp day so N.O. residents should be willing to move this time.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

But she shook things up and I think that was the whole point.

I think the “point” of an oddball pick like Paris Palin was to get America to forget yesterday was John F. McCain’s 72nd birthday.

Still time for the Pubs to announce a credible VP pick…

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

No if you remember correctly BHO was losing to the REP in his senate race until a sex scandel invovling seven of nine caused is REP opponent to leave the race.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

That’s a reminder for us all. I second the motion with the faith that Heavenly Father only answers some of Michael Moore’s prayers.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Thanks – one of my bejillion Civil War books has that title and I couldn’t come up with his name at the moment.

JonRoss on August 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM

In thinking about the choice of Palin this weekend, it seems to me McCain brought her on because he intends to spend the next two months criticizing Obama’s judgment, not his experience. Remember – the experience argument was already used against Obama, and it didn’t work. It’s clear McCain’s campaign learned from the Democratic primary.

With his pick of Palin, McCain is throwing down a gauntlet of sorts. He’s saying that while his running mate may have equally limited experience, the experience she does have shows that she has better judgment. Obama played the crooked Chicago politics game; Palin fought corruption. Obama associated with criminals and terrorists; Palin associates with the working class. Obama has disdain for those who “cling to” guns and religion; Palin hunts and goes to church. Obama voted with his party 96% of the time; Palin ran against and beat a sitting governor from her own party in the primary and isn’t afraid to take on Republicans who she thinks is wrong.

In short, Palin’s political experience is everything Obama’s is not. Personally, I think she’s going to make those points clearer in her acceptance speech on Wednesday. Palin’s appeal is not based on her experience. It’s based on who she is and the choices she made and I think her story will resonate with the middle-class voters who have yet to fully accept or trust Obama.

Who knows? Maybe I’m out in left field, but I think this was a pretty shrewd pick. Solidifying the base was just gravy.

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Excellent post.

LibTired on August 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM

You, sir, are a man of dizzying intellect and wit.

Seriously, please keep using those arguments. They’re winners.

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM

jeanie on August 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

That is one of the most honest assessments I’ve read yet.
Lets hope she stays that way.

jerrytbg on August 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Still time for the Pubs to announce a credible VP pick…

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

the worry from the dems continues to come across in waves. when biden was picked the right said nothing because there was nothing to say. We could have cared less. It was a boring pick, made in desperation over the Russian conflict and falling poll numbers. The right did not attack biden like this we laughed at him and clapped heartliy for the stupid boneheaded pick of BHO.

McCain picks Palin and the left goes freaking nuts. Like a dogging barking at a bunch of rabbits chewing the lettuce in the garden. Hmm which in hindsight seems like it caused more of reaction.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Obama reminds me of Huey Long.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

From Marx to Huey Long to Obama, updated regularly. Correct, eanax; Obama’s not the mastermind, yet he is the publicly recognized tool of his insulated masters.

maverick muse on August 31, 2008 at 12:01 AM

But shouldn’t that apprehension be directed toward McCain instead of Palin?

Just sayin’…

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

No, because as it has been pointed out by others, and I pointed it out when she was named, this is a very big risk considering how well McCain has been doing against The Messiah. Seriously.

McCain’s entire big stick (that Obama is not experienced enough to lead our nation) was tossed aside after it had basically forced him into recruiting Joe Biden to counter that very effective argument. It put Obama’s team on the defensive.

I said it in other threads on here, folks. You don’t fight Inexperience + Experience with Experience + Inexperience. It’s not about drawing parallel with your opponents.

Here’s what you do:

EXPERIENCE x 2 > Inexperience + Experience

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 12:01 AM

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Exactly Do you think it was a coincidence that somebody in the court system leaked confidential sealed proceeding to the media who the blasted them over the airwaves to force the guy out? No way. It would be a big mistake to underestimate him.

TheBigOldDog on August 31, 2008 at 12:02 AM

I think the “Left” is laughing too hard at this latest gaffe by John F. McCain to worry, unseen.

Looks like Paris Palin has a whole closet full o’ skelatons to amuse and delight the Dems over the next couple months…if McCain does dump her.

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Newt’s got it right: Authenticity

And after McCain’s second term … Palin/ Jindal 2016

ignatzk on August 31, 2008 at 12:03 AM

I have heard in several different places over the last 24 hours the suggestion that Biden may come down with some type of heart ailment and step aside so that Hillary can jump in. Kinda of the New Jersey two-step is you know what I mean.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:04 AM

TheBigOldDog on August 31, 2008 at 12:02 AM

I agree he is a dirty politician that will use dirty tricks to win but I disagree that he is an asut5e political person. He campiagns like a punch drunk fighter moving from rope to rope. It is others that save him time and time again. He does not win elections he has others do the heavy lifting.

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 12:04 AM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 12:03 AM

You’re polluting the civility that existed before you graced us with your presence. Go shut the barn door and leave your boots outside.

Cold Steel on August 31, 2008 at 12:05 AM

… and nothing about Palin changes the fact that Obama is still red and still inexperienced.

ignatzk on August 31, 2008 at 12:05 AM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

You think this guy is the great strategist and designer of his political fortune? LOL! Puhlease. He wouldn’t be anyway without the Daly’s Chicago political machine.

C’mon now…

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Looks like the methadone clinic closed early tonight.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Anywhere, that is…

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM

C’mon now…

eanax on August 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Always prepare for the worst from your opponent. Especially when they trend mystic.

Cold Steel on August 31, 2008 at 12:07 AM

alphie on August 31, 2008 at 12:03 AM

you mean in the same way they are laughing at the coming cat 5 storm that will displace millions of people and cause billions in losses. Or like the Dowd “laughing” that seems alot more like the scared shitless kind of laughing that maybe a woman will come on the seen and show the feminst lie for what it is. A woman that shows others that yes Virgina you can have it all if you want to work for it. You can have a career, a family, a great husband, a life outside your career. you do not have to sacrifice your ovaries on the alter of feminst teachings to get ahead in this “male dominated”
world. Just work hard.

unseen on August 31, 2008 at 12:08 AM

If Dems are smart they will avoid attacking Sarah Palin.

They cannot win that fight, not only do they look bad by attacking an accomplished woman. I think she could weather anything they have.

Focus on Palin, Obama loses.

Sonosam on August 31, 2008 at 12:09 AM

alphie:

Can you spell?

Terrye on August 31, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Cold Steel on August 31, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Worth repeating. Barry would have done well in Germany circa 1935.

JonRoss on August 31, 2008 at 12:10 AM