Quotes of the day

posted at 10:25 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

“The great threat to the Obama-Biden ticket can be captured in one word: authenticity.”

“Liberals love Obama because he is a Numinous Negro. Conservatives love Palin because she has a Downs baby and an M-16.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Heh, you sure know how to stir the pot, AllahPundit. You knew that 2nd quote was good for hundreds of comments left here at HotAir of irrational hatred thrown the way of the quote’s author.

You do your job well, sir.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:27 PM

song of the day:

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

For a guy on the edge of a nervous breakdown he’s still throwing out good stuff.

Manic depressives are like that, so I’ve heard.

SteveMG on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Saw this earlier and thought it crystallizes things some of us have thought quite well (see the other threads). What’s the over/under on how many times Brookhiser is called an elitist-country-clubber?

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

SteveMG on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Saw some of your posts on other threads. Thank you for points.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Saw some of your posts on other threads. Thank you for points.

Finally, recognition.

Thanks.

SteveMG on August 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I have come to despise the appearance of the Quote of the Day. One, because it’s better than even Allah’s going to gore somebody’s sacred cow, and two, because it signals the end of updates (usually, and except for a flurry of MSM articles that hit after press time at midnight) for the current cycle :(

HA + Ace + Goldstein + NRO + LGF

Purple Fury on August 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

May I be so wrong that a hundred harpies will pluck my eyeballs.

May the picking begin sir.

Over

1GooDDaDDy on August 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Heheh. If you have read the other threads today, I am prepared to see him called much, much worse. I wonder what the equivalent insult of “ignorant slut” is for a man?

I have now resigned myself to just laugh at all of this. Watching the right do to conservatives what the Left/DNC did to Joe Lieberman (throwing people out of the party and calling them every name in the book, simply over a disagreement in politics)… fascinating.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Palin is authentic and tells it like it is. She’s pro-active and will not take the VP slot lightly.

Connie on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I like the two quotes together. I think they are tied together.

bnelson44 on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I wonder what the equivalent insult of “ignorant slut” is for a man?

Him-bo?

I’m reaching, here.

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

There is something to be said for that. She is someone people can relate to.

I know some talking heads like Krauthammer won’t agree, but guess what, they are not always right. In fact Krauthammer has been wrong lots of times.

When the founding fathers wrote the constitution, I don’t think they meant for America to be run by a political class that never did anything else but politics. I think they wanted citizens involved with their own government.

The theme of reform and the theme of experience are not mutually exclusive. Besides, Hillary tried that experience theme exclusively and look where it got her.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Palin will make mistakes. The news media and the Obama researchers will find things to attack. But if she stays relaxed and continues to be authentically who she has been for 44 years, the country is going to love her, and they are very rapidly going to get disgusted with the cynical negative nastiness of politics as usual.

Finally 2008 really has given us “change we can count on.” Ironically, it is the McCain-Palin ticket.

Great lines Newt.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

*sigh*

Governor Palin did the right thing keeping her baby because it was the right thing for her. My wife and I have suffered several miscarriages I don’t like to harp on it but I did point it out as a way of calming the hurt I think it was Alphie inflicted on a woman in the dustbin baby Barry infanticide thread. When we were finally blessed enough to have a pregnancy go past 6 months we were told by the OB/Gyn our son had open nueral tube and we should consider an abortion it was the hardest thing we have ever faced.

Luckily it turns out that it is/was a common misdiagnosis becasue non desert women have a hard time using pottasium correctly at Fort Bliss.

Anyway yeah I love that Sarah has an 11b son, is a huntress, and kept her kid.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

nu·mi·nous /ˈnumənəs, ˈnyu-/
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or like a numen; spiritual or supernatural.
2. surpassing comprehension or understanding; mysterious: that element in artistic expression that remains numinous.
3. arousing one’s elevated feelings of duty, honor, loyalty, etc.: a benevolent and numinous paternity.

For those of us who don’t have AP’s vocabulary.

jgapinoy on August 30, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Palin vs Obama = Aristotle vs Nietzsche

ninjapirate on August 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

yikes. brookhiser seems a bit “hung up”. what makes him so sure that sarah won’t be an ass-kicker when it comes to the GWOT?

he doesn’t make much of a case…

homesickamerican on August 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

May I be so wrong that a hundred harpies will pluck my eyeballs.

The second article.
Okay, we will hold you to that.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Yeah, I really tire of the pessimism of Derbyshire especially, but he does bring up some good counterpoints to keep things levelheaded over there, when some people seem to go over the edge with unrealistic (in my opinion) optimism. His kind are needed to provide a different view when some people’s views get too narrow and sometimes hinder them from seeing the big picture.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Interesting how picking a smart, capable person with executive experience and a record of guts and moxie is somehow showing a “low opinion” of the vice presidency.

And picking a person with proven and tested conservative values is showing a “low opinion” of conservatives.

I think some people complain just to complain.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Him-bo?

I’m reaching, here.

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Heheh, sounds good. A former female friend of mine called them “manwhores”.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I think some people complain just to complain.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Yep, and unbelievably some actually get paid for it.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I don’t mind the varying opinions, but egad. I’m a terrible pessimist by nature and I still want to reach out, shake them and say “Cheer up, folks. We’re not doomed.”

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

The power of Palin is that she is so out of the establishment, and so out of the talking-heads, inside-the –Beltway-elite mindset, that the 80 per cent of Americans who believe we are on the wrong track suddenly can identify with someone who isn’t part of what got us on that track

Exactly.

Instead of Obiden preaching and screaming at the American public that they are just the average, ordinary, guy, a fine, qualified woman came along who actually is the average, ordinary, strive to be-all-you-can-be American.

Like anybody can tell a phony when they are blowing smoke up their ass, anybody can see Obama/Biden as phonies.

cntrlfrk on August 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I wonder what the equivalent insult of “ignorant slut” is for a man?

John Edwards or Bill Clinton ?

William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Well said, sven10077.

wise_man on August 30, 2008 at 10:39 PM

For those of us who don’t have AP’s vocabulary.

jgapinoy on August 30, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Actually, that was Brookhiser’s quote.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:39 PM

William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

the Corner is really starting to piss me off. Nothing but negativity. They act like they know what the hell they are talking about.

Since when has everyday Americian been unable to do the job of governing? Does the Corner think that only elite snobs in Washington can possibly handle the responsibility of government? I would hazard a guess and say 50% of the general population could run the government better than the current crop of idiots in office. the same idiots that have gotton our country into $9 trillion in debt, has kept us from using our own energy for 30 years, has placed us into two long protracted wars with no exit plan and no plan for victory, that has shreded the consititution on a daily basis with power grabs and phony laws.

I am so sick and tired of the beltway and the mindset that supports it. Who the hell cares if someone was on Meet the Press six times and has a position paper on Iran.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

? Palin isn’t conservative? You (like Kristol) would have preferred Lieberman?

Romney (better for gays than Ted Kennedy? Personally obviously a man of strong pro-life stance and pro-US and pro-family, but when governing MA was pretty pro-choice).

Palin’s son enlisted in the US Army.

She comes from main street. Her husband is blue collar.

I know from your old posts over the months that you don’t like McCain at all, and probably want him to lose….

sorry, this pick was brilliant, and will help him to WIN. I don’t want Obama to be my husband’s Commander in Chief. My husband is deployed to the middle east right now. On Inauguration Day next year, he still will be.

With Palin’s and McCain’s sons.

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Dude, don’t even get me started. They never even took the time to look at the backup (which they had in their hands) which any moron could tell at a glace showed the polls were complete garbage. It took me 30 seconds, I told them (as others did I am sure) and they completely ignored me. I haven’t bothered to read that piece of garbage site since except an occasional link link tonight. They can go pound sand until the next ice age as far as I am concerned. Anybody who did what they did deserves zero consideration.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I hear ya. I’m actually an optimist by nature. I actually force myself to stay pessimistic when it comes to politics as a preventative action to keep from continually getting let down. But the permeating attitude of many righty pundits that we’re doomed if X or Y or Z does not happen gets tiresome.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Damn straight, unseen.

More of your excellent comment:

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Authenticity: yep Gingrich gets it.

Risk: Yep, this pick could blow up in our faces for a whole list of reasons.

Gov. Palin is my kind of people, because she is not afraid of work, not afraid to get her hands dirty, and has not spend a life time trying to get someone else to do the dirty work.

rockhauler on August 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM

To borrow from Dan Ackroyd…”Rick, you ignorant slut”

Gohawgs on August 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Interesting and ironic that while chiding us conservatives for loving the pick, Brookhiser belittles her in the same way he thinks we are – by not seeing past the pretty face.

There is no ‘there’ there in his article. He gives us no reason why Palin is a slight toward the vice presidency. He just states it and moves on.

Likewise, instead of actually listening to why people like her, he makes up a flaccid, tepid and shallow sound bite that sheds more light on his own thoughts and feelings than it does on conservatives.

What a great country we live in, though, where writers of such thin gruel as this can make a living.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Thank you for your wonderfully truthful insight into Romney’s position on gays. I appreciate your attention to detail.
It goes both ways funky.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I’d trust her to watch my back and I can only say that about ten or so of the clowns up there in DC. – sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

*tearing* Dumb frickin’ Swede.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Newt wrote:

Listen to Newt as he has been pushing Palin for months. Maybe he got McCain’s ear and made it happen? How is Obama inauthentic?

- He talks like he’s too smart for most people to understand. To a layperson like myself, he talks in generalities, saying nothing. Either the Emperor has no clothes, or I’m a dumbass.

- His bio is heavily shaded and adjusted to paint a certain picture. There’s no good reason to believe his version.

- He doesn’t have specific, firm policy positions. He just doesn’t. He’ll change his mind, he’ll throw friends and relatives under the bus.

- From a careful examination of his life he’s on the far left, yet he portrays himself as a moderate, which is absurd. But he has to lie to get elected. He can’t be honest about his political background.

- He portrays himself as post-racial, when it fact he’s obsessed with race.

- He’s mostly image and rhetoric, with little substance. The definition of a lack of authenticity.

- We’re to believe he has special knowledge, or special understanding, or a special vision, and to trust him. That’s what he comes down to.

Paul-Cincy on August 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Nice pick. I nominate funky chicken to head the song of the day selectio committee!

CK MacLeod on August 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Well crap. HA ate my post.

Purple Fury on August 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM

I predict in one week if McCain rises up and Obama starts to fade these same pundits will fall over overthemselves saying what a great pick this was. – William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Hear, hear!

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

The choice of Sarah Palin has started something that no liberal democrat can stop. She has stirred the hearts of the regular folk, the hard working, tax paying, child rearing, God fearing, America loving folks. She has won the love and support of the WOMEN who are proud of being WOMEN. We danced and clapped when she was introduced! She is fresh, she is tough, she is the CHANGE we need. She is everything Hillary is and isn’t. Thank God for Sarah Palin. God Bless, John McCain and Sarah Palin.

bloggless on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

You would have thought the base was energized by being in a war. If not, perhaps we need a new base.

Oh gimme a break, dont lay that crap on me Rick. We’re energized when someone comes along to be energized about. That it took a very young and inexperienced, if impressive, person like Sarah Palin to do it should speak volumes as to what we had to pick from.

Dash on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM
Some who consider themselves conservatives don’t buy into McCain’s brand of politics and history. Color us crazy for reading anything into his pick. Didn’t he invoke a hint of class division in introducing her?

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM

As you can probably tell, i support Palin 110% she is what is best about AMerica. She didn’t need a husband to get where she is, she didn’t need a crook to buy her house, she didn’t need to tell her spouse to go hide for 6 months because He was so anti-americian it made her lose points in the polls. the list goes on. she is not even once removed from EVERYDAY AMERICA. She understand making bills, shopping, raising kids, and yes she also understands government and excutive power. She is a soccer mom but also a successful goverment offical. She trancedes politics and goes straight to governing

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

BTW – note that Brookhiser was making his intemperate remarks apparently without having seen Palin in action. He was reacting to the idea of Palin. We don’t elect ideas. We elect people. Most of the time, we seem to get it more right than not.

CK MacLeod on August 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Dash on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

His reference was to the over-the-top enthusiasm conservatives had for McCain before the pick.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM

BTW – Where is Nancy Pelosi? I bet she has been ordered to shut her big fat trap.

bloggless on August 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Meh. “The Corner” is always good for some pessimism (ahem – 2004 exit poll freak-outs). They’re still fun to read, though. – Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Bingo. Well said, Slublog.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM

song of the day:

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

damn straight! Love that song

Keli on August 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Well crap. HA ate my post.
Purple Fury on August 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Happens from time to time. It might show up in a few minutes. Sometimes you click back and submit comment again. Still doesnt show up. before you know it, you’ve got three finally showing. Did you use a naughty word?

wise_man on August 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Color us crazy for reading anything into his pick. Didn’t he invoke a hint of class division in introducing her? -Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

No. And you are crazy if you read anything along the lines of class dicision into his pick.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Reminiscent of Bertolt Brecht’s famous line about “dissolving the people and electing another.”

CK MacLeod on August 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM

AP, how can you be pessimistic about Palin? She knows how to fire an M4, for pity’s sake! Do you how handy that will be when presiding over a Senate session?

(For the humor-impaired, that was a joke. :) )

irishspy on August 30, 2008 at 10:55 PM

CK MacLeod on August 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Barry’s heroes Joe Stalin and Mugabe were “agents of change” along those lines as well….

in the immortal words of Sam Clemens as written by Harry Turtledove:

Sometimes Petty Tyrants tire of being petty.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

We all have the ability to see what we want to see and only what we want to see.

Where you see “class division” I see a complimentary force on the ticket that balances out what McCain seems to be lacking.

I think the long term question isn’t whether Palin will be able to be President (of she will), but whether and how much influence she will have in McCain’s administration.

In other words, was this pick just a political bone he threw to conservatives or is this a signal that McCain will actually listen to his base?

I think we will get a good idea what direction McCain will take if/when he changes his stance on ANWR.

If he changes his mind then Palin is a sign of things to come.

If he continues to oppose drilling, then Palin was just a (brilliant) bone he threw to us to get himself elected.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM

McCain and Huckabee both played that meme over and over during the election. It’s not hard to pick up.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

May I be so wrong that a hundred harpies will pluck my eyeballs.

pluck, pluck, pluck, pluck, pluck, pluck….

SouthernGent on August 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Palin would not be so vehemently attacked if she were not so effective as a candidate, and a symbol.

Obama threw a woman under his bus.

McCain just piped one onboard.

The imagery goes deeper than words.

Let the nattering class try to get their rhetorical hooks into Sarah.

She’ll turn their desperate barbs back against them with a smile.

profitsbeard on August 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM

“of she will” = “of COURSE she will”

PIMF

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

What else besides maybe religious conviction does she add to McCain? Is she more Maverick? Does she shore up the gaping economic hole in his resume’? Does she own a fencing company I’m not aware of?

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM

why would a war energize us? War is not a sporting event. War is a must win event. If our leaders would have understood that and won the damn thing in less than a decade the base would have given 100% support to our president. but since he crapped all over the actual you know fighting the war thing until defeat was a possibility and only a hail mary saved it and turned into a victory the base was understandingly less then happy with the CIC.

The base needs to pick its friends better. The country culb RINOs can go form their own party. Reagan repubs and reagan dems will take back the party and make it a thing of beauty again not a ugly stepchild that the Rinos turned it into.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM

So here’s what I don’t get:

Anyone want to take a stab at what’s right now the single most important issue on the minds of the electorate?

We can all agree on energy, right?

Okay, and if there’s one issue that even SteveMG acknowledges Palin is strong on, what is that issue again?

You know, if McCain makes an announcement sometime in the next week or so that he’s listened to his running mate and she’s so well-versed on the subject and that she’s opened his eyes and he’s now in favor of drilling in ANWAR, and further, that his VP will–by weight of her experience dealing with the subject–be at the point in his administration on energy-related matters…

Anyone want to point out to me who amongst Barry, Biden and Maverick can lay claim to more?

Typhoon on August 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM

The Blog,Power of Authenticity

Authenticity is the one word threat to the Obama-biden ticket.

In one sudden moment Friday,John McCain fundamentally chang-ed America politics in a manner that transcends issues and
details.

She has 13 years in elected office.

By any practical standard she has done far more in the real
world with much more spontaneity and practicality than
Barack Obama.
————————————————————

OOwiee,thats gotta hurt,SarahCuda,the political firecracker
has more experience,than Obama and HilRod combined,me thinks!

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM

All these beltway pundits simply solidifies what Rush says about the country-club, blue-bloods in the party. They really think the grassroots are a bunch of hicks and hayseeds. The snobbery is, at this point, amusing.

SouthernGent on August 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Palin is the real deal, she could physically kick Obama, Biden and McCains ass in a fight.

custer on August 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM

? Palin isn’t conservative?

When the heck did I say that?

The point of my post was that the right is tarring and feathering anyone who is does not go Chris Matthews about Palin and McCain. Just read through the threads of the past two days and you will see a pattern of people here personally demeaning and ridiculing anyone, even if they are staunch conservatives, if they do not completely fall in love and fall in line with Sarah Palin. Anyone who brings up the slightest reservation is deemed a fool, an ignorant slut, an idiot whose out of touch or much, much worse. The fact seems to blow right past people that some conservatives can actually have reservations about Sarah Palin. But, just as the Left tossed Lieberman overboard over his Iraq stance – even though he is a true blue lefty in all other things – the right seems to be tossing conservatives overboard over their stance on Sarah Palin, if they are not completely and utterly in love with her selection. Unless we all think the pick is brilliant, we are deemed idiotic doofuses who don’t belong in the party and should STFU.

That, funky chicken, is the behavior of the Left. Why I became part of the right is because it is normally open to good back and forth debate about issues, on which we can agree or respectfully disagree. But I have seen a big change here with this Sarah Palin issue. Unless we are 100% behind the pick, our intelligence, our sanity and our conservative credentials are all called into question. Pretty sad.

That said, I like the Sarah Palin pick. I like what I have read and seen of her. Does it mean I think McCain is any better than he was on Thursday? No. Does it mean that I think McCain/Palin is better than Obama/Biden? Hell yes, easily. However, I also am not of the attitude that people need to get in line behind her and think her pick was masterful and she is the 2nd coming of Margaret Thatcher otherwise they should STFU and get the hell out of the Party. There is a LOT of work to do in the next 60+ days. Her in the VP slot guarantees nothing.

Yes, I can’t stand McCain at all. Once upon a time here in HotAir-land, as early as last year and as late as this Jan/Feb, I was part of the majority. Now I am an outcast. Even though I hold the same views on McCain as Michelle Malkin. Go figure. I don’t want him to lose, but I don’t believe it will be the end of the world or the country if he does lose. I will simply get up the next day and figure out what I need to do to convince Americans that they need to vote Republicans into Congress in 2010. Simple as that.

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

My brother (US Army) will be deploying later this year as well. I would prefer he had McCain as his Commander in Chief as well. But, as I said, if Obama is his Commander in Chief, I will deal with that as well. There are plenty of soldiers who despise President Bush. My mom despises President Bush. My Air Force airman brother despises President Bush. Should I vote for Obama, because my mom, my Air Force brother, my cousins and most of my family (who all live in my hometown of Chicago) all support Obama and think he would be better for our military?

I’m just being realistic. No one can say the Palin pick was “brilliant” until after John McCain wins the election. Only then will the pick be able to be deemed brilliant. Right now, it is a gamble. We have to wait and see what the next 60+ days bring. Anything can happen. Media smears, media lies, attacks from the Left, October surprise, media playing gotcha with Palin, the political landscape changing because of some domestic or world situation. Who knows. But time will tell.

As I said earlier, with help from someone who reminded me of the quote: “Great kid. Don’t get Cocky.” That’s my attitude about Palin. Great pick. Now let’s not get cocky. Still a lot of work to do in the next 60+ days and nothing is guaranteed.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Hmm let’s see. Small government, less spending, sane energy policy, strong gun rights, family vaules, middle class outreach, strong work ethic, fresh face and new ideas. Classic Americian Vaules you know the things that build this country from the backward new world to the only superpower in the world.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:02 PM

SouthernGent on August 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Rush’s unwavering grasp on principle is amusing as well.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:02 PM

She adds, of course, real, true, tried & tested conservative values.

It has been noted for some time by many people (Rush has harped on this for quite some time) that while McCain is a republican, he is NOT a true conservative. He tends to be more of a right-leaning centrist.

And before the pick many conservatives were going to hold their nose and pull the lever on McCain as a vote against Obama.

Now they are ready to dance their way into the voting booth and joyfully pull that lever as a vote FOR McCain.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Authenticity is the one word threat to the Obama-Biden ticket.

…….. like Sunshine is to a Vampire!

Seven Percent Solution on August 30, 2008 at 11:05 PM

The thing that puzzles me is why so many people demand that a candidate CONFORMS EXACTLY to what they want. There can be no deviation, or the person is to be shunned or ridiculed. Is this how life is supposed to be? All or nothing? It’s better to take 0% than 10% or 50% or even 90%?

So, because the Governor of a state does not perfectly conform with one’s ideal Vice Presidential candidate, her experience is worthless and the only things she’s qualified for is to wash the windows at the White House? Provide window dressing?

I apologize if I am not seeing this right, but some of Governor Palin’s conservative critics seem to have very narrow and selfish interests.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

If he changes his mind then Palin is a sign of things to come.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Great post. I tend to believe the parts I put in bold of your comment above. I do hope I am wrong, but we’ll have to wait and see. Maybe McCain has a plan of how long to wait before he finally completely flip-flops on drilling and ANWR. Prior to his campaign, he was against drilling and he’s still a big global warming wacko. We’ll see if Palin can talk some sense into him about that as well.

He’s coming here to Michigan next week. If he holds up another one of those damn global warming signs, chiding us on needing to save the planet again, I’m going know where he stands.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

funky chicken:

Actually Kristol is very supportive of Palin, very much for the same kind of reasons unseen was talking about.

As for the Corner and some of those guys, they are reacting to Palin the same way they did Harriet Miers. She is not one of them.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

McCain just piped one onboard.

profitsbeard on Aug 30,2008 at 10:57PM.

profitsbeard:I can just see Palin being piped onboard the
bus,in the same manner a Captian would be of
his warship!

Yup,I can see all the pressed uniforms in smart
attention,as Palin walks on(up the gang plank)
to board the bus(Ship)!!!haha.

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 11:07 PM

bloggless on August 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM

…….. back on the Mother Ship of the Borg, getting a new face to compete with Gov. Palin.

Seven Percent Solution on August 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Slu I genuinely think the punditry wasn’t prepped for this. I think they were looking hard at Romney or Pawlenty, as most people who are payed for their opinion are, think that if their opinion is not the conclusion arrived at the conclusion was bad.

I expect she will exceed these doubters and these doubters will tout her.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Is that anecdotal? Is she Maverick kryptonite? How exactly is she going to check the Maverickness that is Johnny Mac?

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

True. That was actually his reasoning he gave for voting against the Bush Tax Cuts: leftist class warfare reasoning (“tax cuts for the rich!”)

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

May I be so wrong that a hundred harpies will pluck my eyeballs.

Not the first thing I’d wish for.

Actually I believe Palin will not sit around waiting for orders, she doesn’t seem to need an invitation to be in the thick of it.

Speakup on August 30, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Heck, any woman who can run a household with 5 kids can run a country, no problem.

Bob's Kid on August 30, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Michael:

McCain has become far more open to drilling than he was when oil was $50 a barrel. And while the whole issue of global warming has been politicized and hyped to the point of absurdity, most Americans are concerned about environmental issues. It has been so ingrained for so long in the minds of the public, that even Newt is making videos in support of protecting the environment. I think the most we can hope for is a balance, in time people will hopefully get over a lot of this fear.

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Seven Percent Solution on August 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

That snapping sound you just heard was the Borgs pulling it too taught. She’ll be wearing a pink hockey mask to compete with Palin’s hockey-momishness until they work out the kinks with her new skin.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Palin brings a uterus to the Mccain campaign. She brings what Hillary was not able to bring to the Obama campaign. And it’s about damn time.

bloggless on August 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Remember that Politico story from today that quoted 4 historians saying Palin was the least qualified candidate in evah?

UPDATE: After reading this article, the McCain campaign issued the following statement: “The authors quote four scholars attacking Gov. Palin’s fitness for the office of vice president. Among them, David Kennedy is a maxed-out Obama donor, Joel Goldstein is also an Obama donor, and Doris Kearns Goodwin has donated exclusively to Democrats this cycle. Finally, Matthew Dallek is a former speech writer for Dick Gephardt. This is not a story about scholars questioning Gov. Palin’s credentials so much as partisan Democrats who would find a reason to disqualify or discount any nominee put forward by Sen. McCain.”

CanadianGuy on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Nonsense. You can’t hang the results of an election on the VP pick. McCain could do something idiotic tomorrow that could have an enormous impact on the election that Palin has nothing to do with. She could perform flawlessly and McCain could still lose. You’ve got to look at the results that can be directly traced to the pick to judge it’s “brilliance.” The early data is off the charts:
* Record fund raising for McCain.
* Completely undermined Obama’s media coverage coming off his acceptance speech
* Seems to have completely negated Obama’s expected post convention bounce
* Has got the left making arguments against her (experience, sexist, elitist) that hurt them far more than they hurt McCain
* Seems to have generated real excitement among conservative, independent and, most importantly, disaffected Dems.

This could all change tomorrow, but for right now, it looks brilliant.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Miers was different. I could understand the disgust with Miers. I think she got a bad rap but I also think she was not quailified for the position. The President and VP was designed to be available to all americians if they showed the character and mental ability to take it. The SC was not. I think a SC judge should be highly quailified, steeped in the law and a great understanding of the founding documents. Because one its a lifetime appointment, there is no way to get rid of him/her and the founding documents don’t change.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM

like sunshine to a vampire….

Seven Percent Solution on aug 30,2008 at 11:05PM.

Seven Percent Solution: There is an upside for the Lib
vampires,they could enjoy a nice
signature series Bill Clinton cigar
and enjoy it,all up in smoke in
one shot!!

See,so it would of been a win/win!

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Um…

…have you been READING the blogs and the comments therein?

Have you read the articles about the spike in donations to McCain?

Did you miss all those blog comments where people stated that this pick just changed or solidified their vote for McCain?

Listen, I have no problem discussing whether or not Palin was a good pick or whether McCain is seriously considering playing to his base.

But if you’re going to simply close your eyes and ears and pretend that this pick hasn’t changed and energized the conservative base, then we really don’t have anything else to discuss.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

McCain has no history of doing anything idiotic.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Lock and load baby. It’s on!!! Mooose burgers for all.

Joeyyy on August 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Citizen civil servant. Something the Founding Fathers had in mind.

Palin represents the citizen civil servant.

The established political elites find her a threat to their status. So do those who have invested so much in the nanny state with all its “cost free” perks they depend on.

Imagine if these same citizen civil servants started dismantling the overgrown National government, trimming it back down to something more in line with what the Founders establiashed. Imagine if more and more citizens decided to run for office in order to make this happen. The established elites, those who depend on public sector employees for votes, those who need to promulgate the nanny-state for their sinecures, would be in an uproar. [Wait a minute, seems that they already are in an uproar...]

In the past 36 hours I have encountered more and more ordinary folks who find Palin’s selection being a refreshing break from the stale established political elitism that has flourished in America for far too long. Will they vote for McCain/Palin? November 4th will tell.

But, around here, there are tons of folks who can readily identify with Palin, a lot more than they can identify with Obama, or Biden, and, yes, even McCain. These are the folks who raise their kids to stand up when an older person enters a room, who believe that the Pledge of Allegiance is important, that volunteering to serve the Nation is a noble calling, not something that only those who are too stupid to get accepted in an Ivy league School have to suffer, and having a Bible in the house is something that is used for more than keeping important family papers in, who atttend PTA meetings, and fly a Flag off their front porch, holiday or not.

“She comes from main street. Her husband is blue collar.” funky chicken said.

This is her strength…and hopefully, if the GOP can get its head out of its self-righteous butt long enough, this can be the strength of the GOP for the next decades.

coldwarrior on August 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM

In thinking about the choice of Palin this weekend, it seems to me McCain brought her on because he intends to spend the next two months criticizing Obama’s judgment, not his experience. Remember – the experience argument was already used against Obama, and it didn’t work. It’s clear McCain’s campaign learned from the Democratic primary.

With his pick of Palin, McCain is throwing down a gauntlet of sorts. He’s saying that while his running mate may have equally limited experience, the experience she does have shows that she has better judgment. Obama played the crooked Chicago politics game; Palin fought corruption. Obama associated with criminals and terrorists; Palin associates with the working class. Obama has disdain for those who “cling to” guns and religion; Palin hunts and goes to church. Obama voted with his party 96% of the time; Palin ran against and beat a sitting governor from her own party in the primary and isn’t afraid to take on Republicans who she thinks is wrong.

In short, Palin’s political experience is everything Obama’s is not. Personally, I think she’s going to make those points clearer in her acceptance speech on Wednesday. Palin’s appeal is not based on her experience. It’s based on who she is and the choices she made and I think her story will resonate with the middle-class voters who have yet to fully accept or trust Obama.

Who knows? Maybe I’m out in left field, but I think this was a pretty shrewd pick. Solidifying the base was just gravy.

Slublog on August 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

May I be so wrong that a hundred harpies will pluck my eyeballs.

That’s an interesting quote at the end of his summary.
It almost seems like he doesn’t believe his own writing.

Newt, on the other hand, puts Palin exactly as may see her.
Whereas many see any members of the congress as little or no credibility and Governors with credibility.

The difference between government that gets things done and that part of government that, well, you wonder just what they’re doing.

Kini on August 30, 2008 at 11:17 PM

coldwarrior on August 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Agreed 150%

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 11:18 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

McCain has no history of doing anything idiotic.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM

You forgot the sarcasm tag – LOL!

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 11:18 PM