Palinmania: McCain raises $7 million since VP announcement

posted at 6:21 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Like I said, conservatives love this woman.

Sen. John McCain has taken in $7 million in contributions since announcing Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, a top campaign aide said today.

The money bounce may owe to Palin’s appeal with conservative donors, many of whom said privately they had planned on sitting out the campaign this year. The money comes in just under the wire — after McCain accepts the GOP nomination Thursday, he will accept public funds and no longer be permitted to raise private money for the campaign…

Shortly before Palin’s announcement, one senior RNC official said McCain’s pick “better like doing fundraising.”

Like almost everything else she does, hosting these events will be something of a new experience for Palin. When running for governor of Alaska in 2006, Palin raised a total of just $468,400.

She’s tapped to do a dozen events for the RNC. Meanwhile, Politico reports more grassroots excitement in the form of spiking volunteerism, carefully balanced by Democratic reports of angry PUMAs throwing their lots in with Obama upon deciding that identity politics is only offensive when Republicans practice it. See also this newsflash from the New York Times, dropping a bombshell that different women have different reactions to Palin.

Finally, via Breitbart, the DNC’s cable news front has unearthed this clip of her from her reporting days. I think it’s endearing but doubtless it’ll be used to attack her credibility. Exit question: It is hard to take ex-sportscasters seriously when they talk politics, isn’t it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Look at that 80s hair!

BTW, is she a young Boomer or an old Gen Xer?

gmoonster on August 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM

heard us older Xers called “baby busters”…

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Here’s another clip of Palin…

Big S on August 30, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Yeah, I watched that, Big S, but I don’t see what, if anything, is really conclusive. First, it all revolved around the word “pressure”. A definition that, as typified by what her husband said in that clip, could be construed to fit anyone’s agenda, especially a CBS affiliate who thinks they have a story on the Gov. Then when they played that phone call, that supposedly was evidence of the pressure, the voice on the phone simply expressed surprise that the man was still a cop, given all that he had done (see Ed’s post earlier). The only thing that could even be construed as pressure was just the passing mention of the family ties between this cop and Palin. But even there, who involved in that controversy didn’t know back story on the relationships I’ll wait for the investigation to reach a conclusion, and not depend on a local CBS station.

Weight of Glory on August 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Wow looks she can read a teleprompter as well as the chosen one. I bet she isnt scared of townhall meetings like you know who is .
going to donate Tuesday now i actually have somebody to vote for and not just vote against .
I swear i have a tingle running up my leg This Women Rocks

Mojack420 on August 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM

I just watched some 20 year old Olby tape. He is stil obnoxious.

flyoverland on August 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Weight of Glory on August 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM

No no. We want the democrats to be in the business of defending a cop who tasered a kid and threatened to kill his wife. Really.

lorien1973 on August 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM

flyoverland on August 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Yes, but funny too.

lorien1973 on August 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Piper likes to feed her brother and hold him. SHe is deffinately the Big Sister to him.

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM

lorien1973 on August 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM

That’s why she is the perfect JUDO pick and Mccain is inside the donk’s ooda loop…..

ANY ATTACK on her is doomed to backfire.

MAVERICK!

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Did anyone just see the live shot at FoxNews of Obama and Biden in Dublin, OH? Biden was doing the talking and Obama just stood there looking down without changing his expression for about 30 seconds. Haha

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

heh — 20 years later and the following teams in that report no longr exist: hartford whalers, winnipeg jets, minnesota north stars, and the bullets changed their team name …
:-)

Buckaroo on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Making Biden look like Foghorn Leghorn.

Stephen M on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Piper is adorable.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

The photos with Baby Trig are tearjerkers. – Carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Indeed. Obama is toast.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:16 PM

The Family just made a nice donation.
We didn’t feel enthusiastic at all when the scuttlebutt was Romney or Pawlenty. The idea of a sellout governor or a global warming alarmist was depressing. The choice of a smart as a whip, common sense and grounded reformer is exciting.

Tony Soprano on August 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Piper is adorable.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

The whole family is great. I am fortunate to have met them all, including Trig.

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

my truck will say on monday-”I’m pullin for Palin” – Sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Hey…..I thought we agreed: I ♥ SARAH’CUDA

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Ha Ha Ha this is rich. Here is little Sarah Palin, a self made WOMAN who challanges and beats the corruption within her OWN party. She initiated an effective energy policy within her state way ahead of the curve. She got herself elected Governor of Alaska. All in the course of a few years and when she is interviewed her attitude is like “Who little ol’e me aw shucks it was nothing” LOL Compare that to Billary with her “We’s aint come this farr” speech, and her I have worked 35 years in service of the people schtick.Ha Ha Ha what a hoot. But Exit question #1 and #2 How is Sarah on taxes and health care ?

sonnyspats1 on August 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

The video is actually kind of cute. The hair looks goofy, but it was the 80′s and she was significantly younger. If the Dems want to try to use this against her, I’d say we dig up some charming video of the various hairstyles (and hairlines) of Joe Biden as he repeatedly puts his foot in his mouth. If I recall correctly, Sen. Obama’s hair was also styled differently in earlier days and the audio of him supporting infanticide won’t sound so nice.

Jill1066 on August 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

It’s for a truck. Ie phrase linked with function.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Indeed. Obama is toast.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:16 PM

The one photo in particular-Gov. Palin was holding him while sitting and he was just staring up at her. It got to me. It made me think about how lucky that little guy is to be born into that family; parents that chose to keep him and not snuff out his life with abortion. I have always loved people with Down’s Syndrome. They are truly sweet and loving people.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Heartache: seeing John Glenn (Mr. Right Stuff) introducing the two clowns with the wrong stuff.

All the same POW/WOW ’08! need to fundraise in the Cincinnati zip code of 45243. And they need to appear at an Ohio State home game this fall. Consider Penn State, Michigan, and Notre Dame too. In a two-fer, University of Cincinnati plays South Florida (Tampa area) play on October 30 (Thursday night). Sorry, we love our football here.

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM

lorien1973 on August 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Change we can believe in!

Weight of Glory on August 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Hey…..I thought we agreed: I ♥ SARAH’CUDA

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

There are many tools in our toolbox….hehe “toolbox”

sven

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Team McCain had posited Team Obama would get about a 15 point bounce from the convention. So far, he’s had an 8 point bounce, almost half, and zero bounce from his non-memorable speech. Half the news coverage over the weekend is the announcement of Palin, including the media campaign against her, and the other half is the upcoming hurricane.

Team McCain not only brilliantly announced the VP nominee, thereby stealing the wind from Obama’s sails, but has, thus far, denied the ability of any further ability of the Democrats to maintain their post-convention momentum.

Weebork on August 30, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Couldn’t you just, sort of, like make a donation, do some volunteer work, vote, or anything a bit more LEGAL? Hmmm? – Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

LOL. Let’s see: I donated $100 and designed a new bumper sticker: I ♥ SARAH’CUDA

All that and I love her too. What more can you ask?

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Piper is adorable.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

The whole family is great. I am fortunate to have met them all, including Trig.

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

You are lucky to have met them.
Did you catch my link earlier with the obscure Alaskan blogger who, in Dec. of ’06, did a negative blog on Gov. Palin? Well, he added a comment to the post yesterday changing his view on her saying that he learned to really like her.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:24 PM

The left is tapped out, and now they are trying to comfort themselves with self talk- I read the Bruce Reed article above on the Slate, what a pretentious tool, well now we know why he is voting for Obama.

Dr Evil on August 30, 2008 at 7:25 PM

There are many tools in our toolbox….hehe “toolbox” – sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Butthead chortled, while Beavis gasped and wheezed in conspiritorial laughter. “Yea…yea..toolbox. Heh heh heh…heh heh.”

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:24 PM

many Alaskans felt like that and learned that she was a woman of her honor. She did what she said she would do and people are happy.

She is on loan, remember that. When done.. please return my Gov. :)

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Oh, that’s very good.

(Whew!)

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

All the same POW/WOW ‘08! need to fundraise in the Cincinnati zip code of 45243. And they need to appear at an Ohio State home game this fall. Consider Penn State, Michigan, and Notre Dame too. In a two-fer, University of Cincinnati plays South Florida (Tampa area) play on October 30 (Thursday night). Sorry, we love our football here.

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM

I really like Ohio. I dated a girl who moved there in ’98. I actually had planned on moving to Blue Ash and got a job there and everything. However, I decided to stay in Dallas at the last minute. Good thing too, a F-4 (I believe) tornado completely leveled the building that I would have worked in about a month later.
The trees seem so huge in Ohio compared to my part of Texas.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

What would Obama do?
Uhh, uh, well, let me say this, when, if, this is, one thing I will say, now, would, where, could, etc etc etc etc etc.
Obama is as much a leader as Oprah is anorexic. ZERO

marklmail on August 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

I prefer Sarah Smile to Sarah baracuda. I will save it til after we win the election though. Man it is going to be a pleasure to kick ass and take names at the polling place like I did in 2004 for W. Yeah buddy!!!

sonnyspats1 on August 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Ok, who mentioned the Minnesota North Stars? I didn’t appreciate that, I’m still in mourning.

As for the clip, the hairdo IS funny, I remember all the girlfriends I had with exactly the same style.

Still, she looks better doing this than Baracky does in his little Muslim outfit as a kid.

Why does the DFL keep opening doors they shouldn’t?

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:24 PM

She is on loan, remember that. When done.. please return my Gov. :)

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Absolutely and I can relate; we loaned W. to you all for eight years and we will soon get him back!

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM

If McCain/Palin win (and they better!), this photo will become iconic.

An American Princess.

Crown included.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Absolutely and I can relate; we loaned W. to you all y’all for eight years and we will soon get him back!

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Better “Texan” that up a bit.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

She is on loan, remember that. When done.. please return my Gov. :)
upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Are you sure you want to wait twelve years?

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

NOT

IN

THE

SOUTH!

Texas Gal on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

At least she didn’t say, “…and BOOM goes the dynamite!”

Graybark on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

She is on loan, remember that. When done.. please return my Gov. :)
upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

I completely understand!

Texas Gal on August 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Are you sure you want to wait twelve years?

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I’m sorry, but at first, I thought you were talking about Obama’s math experience with presidential terms. :)

Weebork on August 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM

If McCain/Palin win (and they better!), this photo will become iconic.

An American Princess.

Crown included.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Greatest photo so far!
I love how the Todd Palin is doing the Napoleon thing with his hand inside his jacket.
Just kidding, he is just being respectful. It’s not as if he is just standing there with his arms folded like someone else who shall remain…..Obama.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Not only is Sarah Palin pulling in big bucks from Republicans and Conservatives, she is inspiring NEW SIGNS (from PUMA headquarters blog):

take a Hillary sign, staple it on top of McCain-Palin,
go to the local GOP office and tell them you’d like to help them and so would your buddies if they will print up signs saying ” Hillary Voters for McCain-Palin -

them take a nap and have sweet dreams of Donna Brazile and Nanceeeee having anyeurisms when they see the signs on MSM – (oooo how mean of me.)

I had dropped off my Hillary yard sign to the local McCain office to see if they could use it. They called me today to meet with them about heading up a Hillary for McCain group. Anyway they had put the Hillary sign up in the office, Welcoming Hillary supporters!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cool see we are respected and welcomed. The Dems told us to get lost they did not need us.

MKP, go to cafepress.com. You will find all kinds of Mccain things. I ordered a button The background is white on top it says ” party unity my akk” in middle it has a PUMA with a donkey in its mouth and at botom says PUMA in red and blue. Lot’s of other neat stuff.

fred5678 on August 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

I have always loved people with Down’s Syndrome. They are truly sweet and loving people. – carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Right I sound very much like her. Big deal if you all think alaskans have accents. Most people here lately haven’t been here more then 6 yrs. Sarah has been here most of her adult life. As I have been here since I was a wee tot.

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Again, you’re coming off as defensive for some reason, unless I’m missing something… I’m not criticizing, I’m just observing and wondering where the accent comes from. Someone might observe that I’m a New Englander by my accent, etc. Not something to sarcastically say “big deal” about, just an observation.

RightWinged on August 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I don’t know about the switch from sports,
to politics if it makes a difference,but,
hey SaraCuda,already has more experience
than Hopey and Changey!

VP nominee Sarah Palin has done the sports gig,
Obama,likes to gutter,when bowling,me thinks!

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM

So she worked for a living! Isn’t this everything we hope for? Good for her!

Bambi on August 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Let’s see:
2009-2012
2013-2016
2017-2020
2021-2024
That’s 16 years Bishop.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Amen, Lox. Perfect pic.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Our beliefs, views appear to be the same.
Glad you registered.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

RightWinged on August 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM

If Allah wanted to get someone to call into HotAir and record me.. I sound like hell from my cold, but many women up here sound “accent” and all… pretty much a like.

We really don’t have a accent.

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM

fred5678 on August 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Great news!

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM

That’s 16 years Bishop.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM

There has been talk of McCain only doing one term.

William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Glad you registered. – carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

I suspect our views are entirely sympatico, Carbon. And I am very happy to be here. I realize that I am a crude, buffoonish, nasty, churlish curmudgeon who is a merciless hammer when it comes to trolls.

But when you get to know me you will see that I am just…a buffoon.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Well,a while back,months,I said when McCain picks his
nominee,they’ll be fresh and ready to go,and eveyone
is finding out who Palin is!

Mccain’s campaign bus is fueled,ready to go!

Now, Obama has been out there for months,and eveybody,
is tired of the “ONE”,me thinks Liberals royaly screwed
themselves in the timing of the their campaign,me thinks
Obama has peeked way to earlier in this campaign!

Obama’s excitement,is, like gone!!

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

She is on loan, remember that. When done.. please return my Gov. :)

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

I have been watching Palin for a while. Investors Bus. Daily has interviewed her several times over the last months and gave her a big thumbs up yesterday after the announcement.

One thing I’ve noticed in my travels to various blogs on my reading list is that quite a few of the Republican elites seem miffed. The guys at Powerline were not particularly gracious, nor were several at NRO.

This reaction, once again, reminds me that there is little difference between Republican and Dem elites. They are simply Ivy League, well connected snobs who have an unhealthy disdain for much of the country.

I wrote to a few of our Republican elites to tell them to get over it and stop grumbling. Mitt Romney is a class act and a team player. He may be disappointed, but he gave Palin a fine endorsement. Some of these prissy pundits might want to take a page out of Mitt’s book and get on with it.

To upinak: I know you want your Gov. back at some point, but I’m hoping you won’t mind if we keep her. ;)

Cody1991 on August 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin, and I lived in Alaska for a while (Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kenai) – people instantly knew I wasn’t from around there as soon as I opened my mouth. I think it’s got to be a northern thing, sort of Canadian/Alaskan – I now live in Washington state, and people here definitely don’t sound like that. It doesn’t sound unlike a midwestern accent to me, but I have no idea where she would have picked that up.

After so many years away, my accent is gone, by the way. : )

capitalist piglet on August 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM

That’s 16 years Bishop.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM

There has been talk of McCain only doing one term.

William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I have heard that but that would be huge mistake IMHO. He would become a lame duck too soon. I don’t know, I have to think on that one.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Cody1991 on August 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Nope, on loan only! Trust me, Sarah is an Alaskan and this IS God’s Country! But you can come on up anytime. :)

upinak on August 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM

That’s very easy to do. I finally gave up on alphie. I just figured she has a serious attention seeking problem or something and I don’t want to be an enabler.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM

As a Dodger fan it was nice to see Lasorda and the boys in spring training in 1988. Good year. (Gibson)

tommylotto on August 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

The more I think about McCain’s decision the more I think it is truly inspired. I’m also convinced that Sarah Palin has the right stuff for the job. She came out of the chute yesterday like a rocket, and she hit every target.Cody1991 on August 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Deserves repeating, just like shampoo.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM

She is on loan…

upinak on Aug 30,2008 at 7:26PM.

upinak:But,But your Gov. might not be returned,she is now
a National Treasure,I mean,upinak,SaraCuda is like
needed to slay the Democratic Party in this hour of
need,I mean she is the only one that get stop the
“ONE”!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha. :)

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Folks, the message I got after I donated to McCain/Palin yesterday includes this:

You may already know that I have decided to accept federal matching funds for the final months of this campaign- keeping a campaign promise I made. But that means that August 31st marks the last day I can accept your primary contribution.

You can send to the RNC after Septmber 1st, but to give hard money to McCain you gotta do it by Sunday August 31st!

Maybe there’s some loophole somewhere, I can’t say, but I wouldn’t risk waiting to see.

Maquis on August 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

I really like Ohio. I dated a girl who moved there in ‘98. I actually had planned on moving to Blue Ash and got a job there and everything. However, I decided to stay in Dallas at the last minute. Good thing too, a F-4 (I believe) tornado completely leveled the building that I would have worked in about a month later.
The trees seem so huge in Ohio compared to my part of Texas.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

We have awesome ice cream, the best potato chips, good pizza, nice meats, awesome trees, and the calmest weather….*wink*

of course my boy was born in Texas, Texas in my heart Ohio is my soul….

I love flying both flags…they look “American”.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Re: Trig

Now, plese don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t wish a Down’s Syndrome baby on anyone. It carries its own special concerns (I hate to use the word “problem”) and requires extra patience and capacity for unconditional love.

With that caveat, I believe that Governor Palin is quite up to the task. She is gorgeous and classy, and you simply can not argue that she hasn’t walked the walk. She’s not “anti-choice.” She made her choice. It just might not prove to be very popular in some circles…but my hat’s off to her. She may be a braver person than I could ever hope to be.

gryphon202 on August 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Sarah’s husband,is a Snowmobile Racer!

She just locked up,Michigan,Minnesota,
and all upper States bordering Canada!

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

This old tape just shows that she’s good at anything she tries. I live in the Triangle of N.C. and I just all the sportscasters and sports talk radio guys were half as clever as she was in that tape.

rivlax on August 30, 2008 at 7:58 PM

RightWinged on August 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I noticed the accent too. My family is from Eastern Washington State. She has family there too. I recognize a bit of that but I think there is more than a little British Colombia in the accent too. Some of my family has lived in Juneau and Anchorage but I never detected the accent like I do in Palin.

petunia on August 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Sarah’s husband,is a Snowmobile Racer!

She just locked up,Michigan,Minnesota,
and all upper States bordering Canada!

canopfor on August 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I have a theory that all the hockey mom talk is aimed at those states…

petunia on August 30, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Was Alaska the 57th state or the 56th? I always forget.

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM

After so many years away, my accent is gone, by the way. : )

capitalist piglet on August 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM

I discussed the acent with my daughter who lives in the Tri-Cities in Washington where her grandparents live. I recognize the accent of having some EASTERN Washington maybe Idaho… I bet she has some WA/ID slang… but I don’t remember where says pop… because my own slang is so mixed… But I think it is most like British Columbia. Which makes sense because they are neighbors.

petunia on August 30, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Palin’s Grandparents live in Tri-Cities not my daughters…

petunia on August 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM

They are God’s children – in a way, even more so than we are – and woe to those who would lay a hand upon them to hurt them. And yet, Obama talks about “the least of his brothers.” What a heartless fraud. ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

I’m not at all an emotional guy, but when I read that statement, I’ll have to admit the eyes got a little misty. So true, and yet most of these precious lives are now snuffed out before they even get a chance to grace us as they are deemed throw aways like Hitler’s “useless eaters.” What a fraud Obama is indeed and woe to him and his ilk for this genocide.

sertillanges on August 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Was Alaska the 57th state or the 56th? I always forget.

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Obama meant the 57 Islamic States of the UN that day…

The three newest states have a really good thing going this year. (I think AZ is the 47th) I don’t remember the order of HI and AK.

petunia on August 30, 2008 at 8:12 PM

upinak, what’s the deal on the gas pipeline? A few folks have “angrily” mentioned it but nothing else. Couldn’t find any damning articles about it.

Tom

marinetbryant on August 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Besides, how can you take anyone seriously who blogs about watching porta-potties and dreaming of the day they festoon suburbia?

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I saw a similar shot yesterday when Obama was trying to backtrack on his campaign’s stupid “hairtrigger response” to the Palin selection. Obama stuttered through the explanation for the change of attitude. But Biden was uncharacteristically mum and had the biggest frown plastered on his face since Eddie Sutton was down 20 points to the Longhorns in historic Gallagher-Iba Arena. No Biden choppers flashing yesterday for some reason.

capitano on August 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I know, I read that ‘post’ myself. And don’t forget she uses AlphaVictim as the blog header. Proof that she is not a conservative.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

No Biden choppers flashing yesterday for some reason.

capitano on August 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Hmm, must have been a taste of....Sarah’Cuda!!!

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 8:23 PM

This video demonstrates someone competently working “part time” professionally while managing the home and working in the husband’s family business. She was earning accomplishments for her resume before Senator Obama was writing a book about himself to fake his.

McCain/Palin in ’08

SayWhat on August 30, 2008 at 8:24 PM

That clip is awesome. I want a woman who knows what it means to “slam the boards” to be Vice President.

One question, did Barry O have a serious profession in 1988????????

eski502 on August 30, 2008 at 8:24 PM

I love flying both flags…they look “American”.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Amen. You are another of those new registrants that is a fantastic addition to HotAir.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM

One question, did Barry O have a serious profession in 1988????????

eski502 on August 30, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Not sure about 1988, but IIRC he did work as Baskin & Robbins during the seventies.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM

How old was she then?

And what was Barack Obama doing for a living when he was that age?

logis on August 30, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Gee, I wonder what Obama was doing at that age. Oh yeah, snorting cocaine and learning how to be a Marxist. Can we get a tape of that?

Kafir on August 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

She was a sportscaster, she’s a hockey mom and she rides a Harley.

Damn, I don’t want to vote for — I want to marry her!!!

CanuckInPA on August 30, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Bravo, Mojack420!

I swear i have a tingle running up my leg This Women Rocks

Mojack420 on August 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Insert vigorous, extended applause here [ Yayyyy, cheer, clapppp, ad nauseum ]

That is quite clever, and timely.

Did you hear that, Chris Matthews?

Mojack420,

Thanks for the chuckle!

William2006 on August 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM

I’m watching a rerun of the Saddleback forum.

Too bad Barry isn’t the One we were waiting for.

Biden was right about one thing though, he does appear both clean and articulate.

Would that mean Biden was right about Barry lacking experience too?

TheCulturalist on August 30, 2008 at 8:58 PM

well at least we know she can handle a telepromter.

unseen on August 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Sorry, but I must pipe up about that…..NO. It is not.

When I was but a young thing in Greenville, South Carolina, I actually went on a BLIND DATE with JD HAYWORTH (former R, Arizona)who was….wait for it…wait for it….the LOCAL SPORTSCASTER ON NBC —CHANNEL 4— WYFF.

He seems perfectly at home in front of the camera these days, no doubt because he is (mildly) telegenic and has been there before.

Everyone has a resume that includes things that are but STEPPING STONES.

***Not EVERYBODY can shoot straight to being the anonymous enigma at the helm of his very own BLOG***

I know you hate my guts, AP, but I can forgive you because some mutual friends of ours have told me that you are actually quite decent.

seejanemom on August 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Washington Bullets
Hartford Whalers
Big Eight

I guess it goes with the hair

dako on August 30, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Hmm, must have been a taste of….Sarah’Cuda!!! – carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 8:23 PM

*smiles*

Sweet.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Look at that 80s hair!

BTW, is she a young Boomer or an old Gen Xer?

gmoonster on August 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM
heard us older Xers called “baby busters”…

Sven technically she’s a late Boomer, folks born between
1946 and 1964.

Since she’s 1964 tho she can lay claim to have one foot in both demographic camps. She can say she’s either the youngest Boomer or the Oldest Gen-Xer.

Mike D. on August 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM

The Dems are idiots if they think Palin’s tapes from her sportscaster days are going to hurt her. Most guys, I think, appreciate women who can discuss sports with some level of knowledge. It fits right into her hunting, fishing, point guard on her basketball team image.

McCain has been deep inside Obama’s OODA loop, perhaps because Obama doesn’t even know what the OODA loop is. First they got the Obama campaign to overreact to the Bill Ayers issue, giving the issue some buzz, particularly when their attempt to silence Stanley Kurtz on Milt Rosenberg’s WGN show only gave the Ayers thing more legs. Then they go with Palin, who shores up the base and leads the Obama campaign into the trap of discussing her “lack of experience”.

It was a brilliant move. If they minimize her experience as a small town mayor and governor of a small population state, they just have to point out that as mayor and governor she has years and years more experience as an executive than either Obama or Biden.

The announcement was also brilliantly played. First they respond to Obama’s acceptance speech with McCain’s “well done” ad, acknowledging Obama’s historic nomination in the context of the anniversary of MLK’s I Have A Dream speech in Washington DC. Keeping the selection of Palin a secret, they started to let the story leak in time for it to be the buzz of all the morning talk radio shows, blogs, and cable news, wiping Obama’s acceptance speech right off the table.

A brilliant, albeit risky, political move played brilliantly.

rokemronnie on August 30, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Rather than following the media’s line of trying to make fun of her, I suggest you look up some of Governor Palin’s excellent gubernatorial campaign adds. Even the disclaimer on them was clever.

Exit question: Why are some conservatives (thankfully a minority of them) so eager to shoot our movement in the foot? Democrats don’t bash their own candidates in public. And our candidate is strong.

ashleymatt on August 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM

What about that sportscast would cast doubt on her credibility, AP? Like you, I found it charming seeing our next VP do the news, but no more than that.

Bob’s Kid on August 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM

I don’t get the credibility angle. That was 10 years ago. Who cares. Clinton was groping women during his whole rise to power and no one questioned his credibility…

Mr_Magoo on August 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM