Palinmania: McCain raises $7 million since VP announcement

posted at 6:21 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Like I said, conservatives love this woman.

Sen. John McCain has taken in $7 million in contributions since announcing Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, a top campaign aide said today.

The money bounce may owe to Palin’s appeal with conservative donors, many of whom said privately they had planned on sitting out the campaign this year. The money comes in just under the wire — after McCain accepts the GOP nomination Thursday, he will accept public funds and no longer be permitted to raise private money for the campaign…

Shortly before Palin’s announcement, one senior RNC official said McCain’s pick “better like doing fundraising.”

Like almost everything else she does, hosting these events will be something of a new experience for Palin. When running for governor of Alaska in 2006, Palin raised a total of just $468,400.

She’s tapped to do a dozen events for the RNC. Meanwhile, Politico reports more grassroots excitement in the form of spiking volunteerism, carefully balanced by Democratic reports of angry PUMAs throwing their lots in with Obama upon deciding that identity politics is only offensive when Republicans practice it. See also this newsflash from the New York Times, dropping a bombshell that different women have different reactions to Palin.

Finally, via Breitbart, the DNC’s cable news front has unearthed this clip of her from her reporting days. I think it’s endearing but doubtless it’ll be used to attack her credibility. Exit question: It is hard to take ex-sportscasters seriously when they talk politics, isn’t it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Governor Palin is absolutely amazing, I envy you all in America for having her to vote for. We in Canada have the best Prime Minister in Stephen Harper but the MSM liberal sharks are many and they are powerful. Good luck and God bless Sarah!

kellyjane on August 30, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Re: that video clip

You have seen pictures of Hillary when she was 24, haven’t you?

…just saying.

Asher on August 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Oh GOD.

What I would have given to have been born 20 years earlier in Alaska.

It’s a fact. The woman is dazzling.

MadisonConservative on August 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

That 20 year old clip is awesome. You can see that she’s having to compose things on the fly — this is NOT reading from a teleprompter. That may help explain why she’s so sharp in interviews.

Once people get to know her, this race is a blowout.

Pythagoras on August 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

This year will be the first time I will financially support a candidate. I feel so strongly for the republican ticket this year. I will go a little further than placing a yard sign on the front lawn I assure you.

McCain/Palin 08

Joeyyy on August 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

I love it, she’s adorable.

nickj116 on August 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Once people get to know her, this race is a blowout.
Pythagoras on August 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

A lot to learn in two months. Looking forward to it.

wise_man on August 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Just a heads-up: I’ve read at Ace’s that apparently you only have up to Monday to donate to the campaign i.e. Sunday’s the last day due to campaign fundraising rules. So do it tomorrow today if you’re going to do it.

andycanuck on August 31, 2008 at 12:00 AM

You have seen pictures of Hillary when she was 24, haven’t you?

…just saying.

Asher on August 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Hillary in her 20s was stunningly ugly, with ridiculous clumps of hair, giant thick glasses, and bug eyes–and that angry bitter scowl we all know so well

Janos Hunyadi on August 31, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Janos Hunyadi on August 31, 2008 at 12:45 AM

You ain’t kiddin’.

She’s in the middle.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Ah… hairspray vixens of the 80′s. At least she was a sports caster. She could have had a starring role in a Whitesnake video. THAT could have been problematic.

Since it is not a Whitesnake video however, I will table my disappointment, and say that I fail to see any problem. At least she had a real job 20 years ago and is not trying to pass off “community organizing” as valid employment. But it’s unfair to compare her to Obama, he’s running for President. Hmmm… Joe Biden never had a job at all, did he?

Plus, being a TV female sportscaster in itself is an acheivement. That is a male dominated position, especially 20 years ago.

What is that I hear dying over there? Is it a moose that Palin wrestled to the ground and skinned with her teeth? Alas, no. It’s Obama/ Biden’s ridiculous attempt at claiming blue collar understanding and support.

Damiano on August 31, 2008 at 1:30 AM

So she can read a teleprompter too. Rhallllllllrrrr.

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 1:33 AM

I’m loving that Northern State dialect. Fargo redux.

I’m also loving a local sportscast that opens with the dogsledding report and the Beaver wrapup. Heh.

This doesn’t hurt a bit.

Jaibones on August 31, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Janos Hunyadi on August 31, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Just the kind of girl you had to get drunk to have any chance of getting lucky eh?

Bradky on August 31, 2008 at 2:11 AM

She looks like a young Britney Spears before drugs and Madonna

entagor on August 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM

My Palin video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:39 AM

DOWNTOWN – nice job!

T J Green on August 31, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Bradky on August 31, 2008 at 2:11 AM

i think you have that backwards

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:08 AM

Wow… I didn’t think it was possible to like Palin anymore, but that video clip did it….

hmmmmmmmm…. who would American’s rather have a beer/bbq with this year?

El_Terrible on August 31, 2008 at 3:56 AM

Look at that 80s hair!

BTW, is she a young Boomer or an old Gen Xer?

gmoonster on August 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Same age as I, so “old” gen-x.

Benjamin9 on August 31, 2008 at 5:21 AM

I really like Ohio. I dated a girl who moved there in ‘98. I actually had planned on moving to Blue Ash and got a job there and everything. However, I decided to stay in Dallas at the last minute. Good thing too, a F-4 (I believe) tornado completely leveled the building that I would have worked in about a month later.
The trees seem so huge in Ohio compared to my part of Texas.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Hey carbon … I worked in Blue Ash at that time! I remember that day very well. As for the trees, ya, being a river valley, we are very green, humid and bug filled in the Summer. We have trees hundreds of years old, usually of the Oak variety. Nice to touch base w/ya.

Benjamin9 on August 31, 2008 at 5:36 AM

I also heard that the state trooper who tasered the child was married 4 times and they all ended in divorce by the age of 36. If that is true, that guy is psychotic. Talk about dangerous impulsive behavior.

Sapwolf on August 31, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Sapwolf on August 31, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Sapwolf on August 31, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Sapwolf on August 31, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Sapwolf on August 31, 2008 at 7:04 AM

This is a charming video of a very young women doing her job well. This video will endear her further to those who crave a cheerful, untarnished and untainted “for the people” politician.

No more serial plagiarists, leaders that do not know what sex actually “is”, those who use our White House, as a house of ill repute, Congresswomen who demand that we all become Greenies but who takes a chauffeured Limo one block to work – on our dime, those who run prostitute rings out of their homes, leaders who march with pedophilia advocates, like Harry Hay, in Gay Pride Parades, etc.
We need a fresh face and mind, in a leader with values, standards, principles and morals. Palin appears to have it all.

sinsing on August 31, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Joe Biden never had a job at all, did he?

He was a lawyer for three years, & a politician for thirty-five.
The longest-serving senator.
The ultimate insider.
Whatever happened to CHANGE?

eea on August 31, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Let’s keep the money rolling in and try for a $20 mill Labor Day weeknd.

Or even better let’s beat the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon with donations.

I just gave $1000

GO McCain/Palin 2008 all the way to the whitehouse.

txdoc on August 31, 2008 at 10:02 AM

I didn’t want McCain to pick Palin because I thought she’d be better off serving more time in an executive capacity. I saw her more as a future hope for a real Republican party. Well, that horse is out of the barn.
The only way I could like her more is if she and Todd were discovered to be diehard Patriots fans.

thegreatbeast on August 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM

hope she continues to drop her “g’s” love it.

LtE126 on August 31, 2008 at 11:39 AM